Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/6/2017

Athena
  • Start Topic

A reminder that this weekly thread is to talk about The View and the hosts and not for in depth discussion of politics or the news. Generalizing about groups of people or engaging in debates is not allowed. Please report posts and posters who are out of line; these are only seen by the mod team. If you disagree with someone who is not breaking the rules, Ignore them in your Control Panel. Thank you.

Guests and co-hosts for this week:

Mo 2/6: Sara Haines, Sarah Michelle Gellar
Tu 2/7: Day of Hot Topics
We 2/8: Tracee Ellis Ross, guest co-host Reba McEntire
Th 2/9: Will Arnett, guest co-host Priyanka Chopra
Fr 2/10: Lena Dunham

I don't like or watch football and know more about the Puppy Bowl than the Super Bowl so I could have done with less Super Bowl talk.  Bob Saget cohosts Friday?  The should start calling it Forgetaboutit Friday.

• Love 5

I tuned in to see Sara at the Super Bowl report and was surprised to see Paula there on a Monday. I liked Sara's funny report and all the food she ate was hilarious. Paula and Joy obviously enjoy each other. Sunny joined in too. Jed was her usual self and Whoopi didn't like all the talk about the ladies and their men. lol 

Paula is a part-timer now and part-time on GMA weekdays while doing GMA Weekend. Works for her as she's said on her twitter account.

• Love 5

I loved the Sara Super Bowl segment. I thought it was fun and funny. Paula seems to be uncomfortable when they start to criticize that person. And I ignored Jed. Whoopi is so annoying when the other ladies are talking about their "men." If she can't control the convo, she is bored. 

• Love 4

Help me understand this -

Jed says her boyfriend asked her "why did you choose to go out with me?"

And her response was "I looked inside your drawers, and all your clothes were folded nicely."  

Wait -   By the time you're in a guy's bedroom, going through his dresser drawers, haven't you already decided to date him? 

• Love 17
20 minutes ago, backformore said:

And her response was "I looked inside your drawers, and all your clothes were folded nicely."  

Wait -   By the time you're in a guy's bedroom, going through his dresser drawers, haven't you already decided to date him? 

I guess they started out as a one-night stand!

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

I loved the Sara Super Bowl segment. I thought it was fun and funny. 

I am not usually a fan of Sara but I did really enjoy her Superbowl segment.  It was fun and funny.  Cute and silly is not typically my thing, but she was in her element and it works for her.  I thought the piece itself was well done and actually kind of interesting.  I enjoyed seeing the parking lot activities and the food that was available at the "big game."  I especially liked her posing with Eli Manning's back.  That made me giggle, I admit.  

I expected the whole thing to be dumb and cloying and embarrassing (like when Sherri Shepherd would do things like it) but this time I got a kick out of it.  Sara may have finally found her little niche on this show.  I noticed she seems to have stopped putting her hands in front of her chest and doing that little clap thing. And there is less throwing her head back and opening her mouth like a baby bird and laughing.   There may be hope for her yet. 

If they can just get her to stop splitting the baby down the middle on every serious political issue, they might have something. 

Whoopi is so annoying when the other ladies are talking about their "men." If she can't control the convo, she is bored. 

I am just glad she didn't bring up her "hit it and split" approach to men.  That is usually how she turns the topic back to herself and takes over the conversation when they start talking about relationships.  That always makes me want to GAG.

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

The part I appreciated about today's show was Whoopi reading off the list of all the harmful things Congress has done while we're all distracted by the mad man tweeting. 

Agreed, but it bothered me that they (and especially Joy) seems to credit the President for all these things instead of Paul Ryan and his squad - they are the ones that did this.   

I liked Sara's segment but I thought it was odd that they sent her when Paula is the former (?) sports reporter.  On the other hand, that keeps with Rudeness theme this show has always held dear.   Some things just don't change - like Whoopi's wardrobe.  

I had to laugh at Whoopi insisting Gaga's performance wasn't political.  I Born This Way  is practically an LBGT anthem  and performing it in front of Pence was awesome.   And of course Guthrie's This Land is My Land is/was originally an activist protest song.   No, Gaga didn't march on the field with dancers dressed as Black Panthers but it wasn't apolitical just because Whoopi decreed it so.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I liked Sara's segment but I thought it was odd that they sent her when Paula is the former (?) sports reporter.

Paula was working at her real job.  She's a weekend anchor on GMA.  I doubt if she had the clout to take off for the Super Bowl...she has co-hosts.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, backformore said:

And I laughed at Whoopi's expression, when they panned to her right after Jedi said it. That, "Yeah, sure, is there anything you don't lie about" face. What a bizarre answer to the topic.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

Agreed, but it bothered me that they (and especially Joy) seems to credit the President for all these things instead of Paul Ryan and his squad - they are the ones that did this.   

I liked Sara's segment but I thought it was odd that they sent her when Paula is the former (?) sports reporter.  On the other hand, that keeps with Rudeness theme this show has always held dear.   Some things just don't change - like Whoopi's wardrobe.  

I had to laugh at Whoopi insisting Gaga's performance wasn't political.  I Born This Way  is practically an LBGT anthem  and performing it in front of Pence was awesome.   And of course Guthrie's This Land is My Land is/was originally an activist protest song.   No, Gaga didn't march on the field with dancers dressed as Black Panthers but it wasn't apolitical just because Whoopi decreed it so.  

I took Whoopi's comments in the opposite context.  I thought she was being quite patronizing, probably toward Sunny, by explaining that Gaga was political through her music and her art.  But Whoopi is very difficult to understand so maybe I was reading more into it.  It did feel like a Whoopi is Lecturing the Panel moment.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Paula was working at her real job.  She's a weekend anchor on GMA.  I doubt if she had the clout to take off for the Super Bowl...she has co-hosts.

I also think they probably thought Sara would be more fun.  Which she was.  A sports reporter wasn't needed to do that.  Sara was in her element there.   I thought it was adorable and a nice, lighthearted segment.    IMO Paula is too blah, and never loosens up other than in a way that appears to be very forced and not authentic.

• Love 9

Yeah, Whoopi talks with her mouth full all the time and makes noises chewing. Who is she kidding? Have they ever had a "hot topic" that was about health or money concerns that don't tie back into so and so's husband or boyfriend? When they aren't talking about politics(they should), they are talking about inane relationship problems that they've discussed time and again.  Guess what? Women have other issues going on that you could highlight and use this platform to elevate. 

• Love 4

Hate to admit it but I enjoyed Sara's Superbowl adventure. I couldn't help but smile. She's like a big, goofy kid and she looked like she was having so much fun! And I cracked up at her dancing. I know that at times she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer but she's certainly easier to take than one of her castmates.

I had no idea that how a man folds his clothes is a deal breaker?

I thought Joy was going to tear up today when she mentioned how much she misses Obama. You're not alone, Joy.

I don't mind Lena Dunham...as long as I don't have to see her naked. <Shudder>

• Love 8
3 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I may pass on Lena Dunham.  The first episode of her "Girls" several seasons ago was the fastest I have ever turned off a TV show (maybe 2 minutes into it).

My adult sons and I and have come to the same practice (separately and without discussion).  We usually give a new show or pilot a chance...and try the second episode before quitting.  We're probably brazen idolators.   (I like to say eye-duh-LATORS)

2 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

I don't mind Lena Dunham...as long as I don't have to see her naked. <Shudder>

OMG!  Seeing her is a PLEASURE after seeing my full-length self (76 and obese)...and other ladies at the "Y."(Check out my profile pic)  Talk about "shudder." I admire that she has the confidence to show a jiggly body that's more common than the usual toned and tanned beauties on TV.  Might make many young women a little less self-conscious. 

• Love 12
18 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Yes Paula worked the weekend at GMA. Paula went to Chicago for the World Series. Since she is a Cubs fan she probably wanted that assignment more than going to Houston for the Super Bowl anyway.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I admire that she has the confidence to show a jiggly body that's more common than the usual toned and tanned beauties on TV.

Seriously.  I enjoy that she writes, co-produces and acts in a sitcom, and still is judged on her looks.  It never gets old.

• Love 10
On 2/6/2017 at 6:06 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Sara may have finally found her little niche on this show.

I agree!  She is fun and has found her own voice that even Whoopi laughs with her.

4 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

I thought Joy was going to tear up today when she mentioned how much she misses Obama. You're not alone, Joy.

I know, right?  Here is a great link for all of us in mourning.

When they were talking about how Putin wants Bill O'Reilly to apologize.......I was rooting for O'Reilly.  I HATE IT THAT IT HAS COME TO THIS! First GWB and now this?  This is how bad things have become?

Lena Dunham - I don't know.  I respect her, I am proud of her and yet so shallow as to why she presents herself the way she does.  Her tats don't even look good.  The one on her arm is too high and not the right color for her skin tone.  My guy is all tatted up but he explained how you do have to position them and choose ink that compliments your skin tone.  Can't believe I just typed that.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

Yep.  Don't see them judging men, in her position, that way.   

Maybe if they were constantly doing nude scenes, you would.

Look....I acknowledge that Lena Dunham is very, very talented and yes, I watched all the seasons of Girls. All I'm saying is why is it necessary for her to shuck off her kit in almost every show? The other women don't seem to have the same love for nudity on camera that she does. 

• Love 1

I may be home Friday on a snow day, and I would rather stare at my navel than watch Ms. Dunham.  The things she says sometimes are just so ridiculous.   I don't much care for her brand of feminism and the voice of privilege she uses.  Her and Amy Schumer are sort of the same.  I just roll my eyes and turn the tv off. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dinkysquid said:

All I'm saying is why is it necessary for her to shuck off her kit in almost every show? The other women don't seem to have the same love for nudity on camera that she does. 

Is it a love for nudity or is she trying to make a point about womens' bodies and how they're portrayed in modern media?  I think it so refreshing to see a modern young woman, who doesn't have supermodel measurements, who has absolutely no shame about her body.

• Love 5

Jedeblabla  is so damn annoying. Shut the hell up! I am tired of her making a false equivalence to make her point.  I needed Whoopie to be here to shut her down. Joy is so over her...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2

I was ready to throw something at Jed again. That tired "Obama lied!" (regarding keeping one's doctor) argument is so ridiculous.  It was the insurance companies that changed the playing field. Obama had zero control over that so to imply it was a deliberate misrepresentation to get it passed is unfair and an alternative fact.  

Poor Reba looked like she wanted to crawl under the table at times. 

#LetLizSpeak

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 19
18 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Her tats don't even look good.  The one on her arm is too high and not the right color for her skin tone.

I can agree (strongly) on the tattoos.  I don't want any and my skin is so freckled and wrinkly I'm ECSTATIC they were not "a thing" when I was younger (freckles but no wrinkles).  I complain when I see people with too many random tats...different styles, nothing related--just some "pictures" they like.  When I see beautiful and well done tattoos, I always compliment them.  So many times I see sadly unattractive girls whose tattoos scream out "trying too hard!"

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Haleth said:

That tired "Obama lied!"

We ALL thought/hoped we'd keep our same doctors* and saw things just drain away...maybe into the swamp.  I almost take it personally when someone calls him a liar.   Line from "Hair,"  "I love him so."

*Luckily, I did.   Two years prior to the Affordable Care Act, my PCP dropped out of my health plan, so I had to find someone new.  It's the business.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I was ready to throw something at Jed again. That tired "Obama lied!" (regarding keeping one's doctor) argument is so ridiculous.  It was the insurance companies that changed the playing field. Obama had zero control over that so to imply it was a deliberate misrepresentation to get it passed is unfair and an alternative fact.

Correct if I'm wrong but isn't it doctors who decide what insurance they will accept?  So if your doctor doesn't accept your insurance bought on the exchange then your anger should be directed towards the doctor not Obama right?

• Love 14