Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/6/2017

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was looking forward to Reba being there because I thought she might advertise her upcoming ABC show this Fall and sing something from her new album. She did neither. And I have no idea why they get celebrities to sit at the table throughout the show when you know they aren’t going to give any opinions that (as Joy said) harm their image/sales.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Jewlmc said:

Yes, Jed, Trump's  Huuuge and sometimes dangerous whoppers are the same as the problems with the rollout of Obamacare. Dumbass.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I was ready to throw something at Jed again. That tired "Obama lied!" (regarding keeping one's doctor) argument is so ridiculous.  It was the insurance companies that changed the playing field. Obama had zero control over that so to imply it was a deliberate misrepresentation to get it passed is unfair and an alternative fact.  

Poor Reba looked like she wanted to crawl under the table at times. 

#LetLizSpeak

Your first point - I was screaming at the tv.  My job was eliminated, thanks Gov Snider and right to work, last year.  Under the ACA I could have gotten the same plan I had while working but it was very, very expensive with high copays etc.  I CHOSE a different plan that pays almost everything.  No copays for doctor visits, no copays for tests, $5 copays for referrals and scripts around $2 highest one is $5.  I could keep trying doctors FOR FREE until I found the one and I love him and he loves me.  We have mutual respect, honesty and frankly he saved my life.  My brother works for a huge electrical contractor and they tried to curb costs and put the whole company on ACA their insurance company fought them in court and got together with their life insurance company to join in where as the life insurers refused to insure them if they went on ACA so they were forced to pay the higher priced traditional fees.

Your second point runs into your third point - Yes she did look like she wanted to hide.  At this point in time Trump has done so many horrible things I don't think anyone could overlook something.  Like animals?  He took away the watch group or reporting of animal abuse breeders, puppy mills and watchdog over testing for products.  Have an mortgage?  Did your mortgage insurance sky rocket since he took back the Obama control on that?  Education?  Civil Rights?  Have a soldier in the family?  I am terrified for my family soldier.  But I digress.

My opinion and I'm waiting for Whoopi to state this:  Bannon is using these "Obama" did it not just as a Republican/Democrat ploy but to insert another bias against a black man.  Don't let the political rhetoric fool you.

ETA to fix massive grammar but that's how upset I am so I'll just leave it.  Gotten, is that a real word or just a preschool word?

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Reba was really out of her element today. I don't know if she doesn't want to upset her fans or she's a Trump fan or apolitical, but, she seemed really uncomfortable.

She has been everywhere on TV this week when it comes to shows that film in NY. 

• Love 2

Yeah if Reba is so a-political, she really has no business being on Hot Topic. Any celeb for that matter. I felt how uncomfortable she was, especially since she's a country artist. They've all got brands to protect. Her and Joy are lookalikes too.

And how did no one bring up the Dixie Chicks whole "Shut Up and Sing" and black listing during the discussion on Drake and concert goers? At least that would have been a different discussion.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, susieq147 said:

Correct if I'm wrong but isn't it doctors who decide what insurance they will accept?  So if your doctor doesn't accept your insurance bought on the exchange then your anger should be directed towards the doctor not Obama right?

In any case it's not something that Obama could foresee or control.  (I've had to check with the ins co about doctors.  The bigger problem was the ins co overruling the need for surgery at this time.  I'm not a fan.)

• Love 4

I post this (and sorry...I just lost the 'net source) only because I was in a writers' group for many years and the "leader" corrected me too many times for using got OR gotten.  He grew up in Texas...I don't know if his teachers taught that.  Mine didn't.  I got a good education.  He would make me change that to something like, "I obtained" or "I have."   (Sorry for all this...maybe I AM a former nun)

"In American and Canadian English, the past participle of the verb get is usually gotten. For example, we might say, “I have gotten behind on my work,” or, “The book was not gotten easily.” Got is the participle in some uses, though, such as where has got to or have got to means must (e.g., “We have got to go to the store.”) and whereas got or have got means has or have (e.g., “I have got five sisters.”)  In the main varieties of English from outside North America, the past participle of get in all its senses is usually got. Gotten appears occasionally, and it is standard in a few set phrases such as ill-gotten gains, but the shorter form prevails by a large margin.... The vehemence of some Britons’ scorn for gotten likely has to do with the fact that it has gained ground in British English over the last couple of decades. Many English speakers from outside North America resist the encroachment of so-called Americanisms (many of which, like gotten, are not actually American in origin) on their versions of English, and, for mysterious reasons, some feel especially strongly about gotten.

• Love 2

Years ago, when I was stationed in Germany, a friend and I made a trip to Berlin.  We were staying at military-run hotel, and they had East German TV on.  We were watching an English language show the East German network was running, and that episode was the use of "got".  "Have you got the time?" Us Americans were scratching our heads.  "No, that's not right."

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Love2dance said:

AAaaarrrrghhhh!! My station pre-emptied 3/4 of The View to show a stupid police pursuit of a car. And the discussion looked like it was going to be interesting. Ugh. 

You must live in Los Angeles because the same thing happened to the View here!  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

Jedi apparently thinks that if she yells loudly over the facts being presented and never takes a breath, that constitutes winning an argument. #factswin #sooverher

And grinning like a maniacal, hungry wolf.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, dinkysquid said:

And grinning like a maniacal, hungry wolf.

That's insulting to wolves who are bootiful creatures. More like a scavenging hyena.

1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

...with greasy/shiny lips and a glowing stripe down her nose.  A new species.

Just like a hyena.

• Love 6

Has anyone mentioned why Whoopi has been missing from the show?  I may have been FF-ing and missed it. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind, but was just wondering...

She is in London doing her one woman show for two performances. She has also filmed an appearance on the Graham Norton show. 

Does she take a boat to London, or does she compromise her principles about not flying?

I seem to remember several years ago she flew for the first time in years. I think it was when the Sister Act play was opening in London. She might have taken something to relax, maybe. I don't recall all the drama details though.

• Love 3

Ugh, Bob Saget is a comedian? You could've fooled me. I guess his dirty routine is what supports his career. The View, please get better men besides Jason Biggs and Bob Saget if you're going to do the Guy Friday thing.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 9

I'm not a Trump fan (being black and Muslim kind of makes it hard to like him to begin with) but I don't really like Lena's answer to Joy and Paula's question about why white women voted for him. She kept mentioning that they may not come from a family that teaches them about their rights or that they just don't know, but that doesn't really mean anything if these women voted for jobs which will help them and their families. Even if these women were super feminists, I can understand them wanting women's health care and rights but prioritizing a means to live more.

I think I understood what she was trying to say, but she didn't word it properly.

Edited by CheezyXpressed

Yeah, that was a little condescending. White women voted for Trump because they don't know what's good for them or because the men in their lives told them to?  

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, rallymantis said:

ON 2/8/2017 AT 1:06 PM,  LOVE2DANCE SAID: 

My station pre-emptied 3/4 of The View 

I know it's a typo but I'd love for this to happen.  Starting with Joy.

Oh how funny! AutoCorrect got me again! Thanks, RALLYMANTIS.

Can't stand Saget. Period. I'm far from a prude; but for me, he's just not funny and kind of seems like an ass.

If Whoopi has a flying phobia, I kind of feel for her. It's a thing. People have it. Not me, but others. I'd fly anywhere anytime :) Just give me an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around .

Edited by ari333
4 hours ago, ari333 said:

Just give me an aisle seat so I can get up and walk around .

I want the window seat...not for the view, but because of my crappy/creaky knees.  I don't want to have to move while others move in and out of our row AND I prefer to be one of the last ones off the plane because I'm too slow.   All we need is some skinny guy for the middle seat.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 2

I'm in the same category as Whoopi when it comes to the flying phobia. I doubt I'll ride a plane during my lifetime. At least I hope not, lol.

I'm not a big fan of Saget or Dunham in general, but neither of them bothered me today too much. Btw, I forgot to mention the highlight of the show, when Sara couldn't remember the name of Jedi's boyfriend, and she kept getting more and more embarrassed. Hilarious.