Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Episode 2

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, LuciaMia said:

Loved the Reeds, but the husbands hair style….uh, no.  Does it have a particular name?

The actor's hair is curly and looks thick, so I guess it's the "use lots of product to tame toward a 60s look"!

His jacket!

3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I saw an article yesterday about something happening next season, so it's NOT the last season.  YAY!

Two more series have been confirmed so far. It goes from strength to strength with UK viewers, so it's very safe.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, LuciaMia said:

Loved the Reeds, but the husbands hair style….uh, no.  Does it have a particular name?

I just thought it was a bad version of a 60s pompadour hairstyle.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I just thought it was a bad version of a 60s pompadour hairstyle.

Agree. It doesn't look like a DA, because that style shows itself at the rear of the head. Like this.

Of course, I was too busy being blinded by the plaid jacket to notice the back of the head!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Of course, I was too busy being blinded by the plaid jacket to notice the back of the head!

Every time he was on screen all I could look at was that jacket! I feel like he also had plaid pants, but I can't remember.  I have this over all impression in my mind of plaid everything. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Every time he was on screen all I could look at was that jacket! I feel like he also had plaid pants, but I can't remember.  I have this over all impression in my mind of plaid everything. 

Back in the time of this episode, he was right in style.  And remember, that his wife was a seamstress and made all their clothes.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

It reminded me somewhat of Adrian Zmed's hair in Grease 2 (far left).

7 hours ago, jschoolgirl said:

Ursula is clearly a profoundly unhappy woman.

I hope her situation is resolved soon and we can lose this downer aspect to the show. Isn't this the last season?

It's been renewed for a seventh, eighth, and ninth season! The article is spoiler free.

22 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Is the nurse that help Shelagh going to be joining the midwives?

I hope so; though the previews showed Trixie returning next week, they're still two midwives short (Sister Mary Cynthia and Patsy). Although we don't know if she has any midwifery training. And even if Sister Ursula is trained, I would hate to have her deliver my baby.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fireball said:

39 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Back in the time of this episode, he was right in style.  And remember, that his wife was a seamstress and made all their clothes.

I think the style they were going for was the "Teddy Boy" look that was a late '50s, early '60s style in Britain (rather than the biker look of the same period in the US). Here's an idea of how they dressed. Teddy Boys and Girls emulated Edwardian styles.

Some of the vintage pictures I linked to show some bold patterns. Don't see any plaids, but maybe that was the closest cheaper fabric Mrs. Read could find? 

Here's what wikipedia says about Teddy Boys.

This shows a pic of Bill Haley and the Comets and plaid features heavily there!

Edited by Anothermi
add plaid ref
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Anothermi said:

I think the style they were going for was the "Teddy Boy" look that was a late '50s, early '60s style in Britain (rather than the biker look of the same period in the US). Here's an idea of how they dressed. Teddy Boys and Girls emulated Edwardian styles.

Some of the vintage pictures I linked to show some bold patterns. Don't see any plaids, but maybe that was the closest cheaper fabric Mrs. Read could find? 

Here's what wikipedia says about Teddy Boys.

Wow, if they rioted and got into trouble, then what happened if they messed up their outfits and hair!

• Love 2

I liked Patsy's paying Sr. Ursula back for the time "wasted" with Mrs. Reed.  A couple coins (but this might have been a few Pounds). Then Patsy mentioned her dying father and stormed away. Sr. Ursula almost walked away without picking up the coins.

Also, loving Phyllis.

• Love 5

You haven't seen early rock and rollers wearing something similar?  The background narrative talked about this being a time to reinvent yourself. 

I just assumed Ursula had taken over when Julianne went to Africa so I never questioned what she was doing there.  It might have been as simple as the beaurocracy noticing the house had fewer requests for supplies under Ursula.  The show has been great about letting us see how much national health benefited so many.  This is the downside. 

The burn makeup was great although the poor man's face should have been bandaged to avoid infection.  I couldn't watch the unbandaging of his eyes.  It's likely he would have lost his eye lids. I hope they made a success of the home bakery. 

• Love 4

I'd buy the no time to do extras for their neighbors if we'd ever seen anyone ever go without care because of it. I hope Sr Ursula goes away soon. She's bringing the show down for me and for my Aged Parent who has called to discuss wanting her gone her twice now.

• Love 6
On 2/10/2017 at 9:17 PM, Steph01924 said:

Nah, I've got enough bratty kids on my TV. Tim continuing to be a delightful teenager is a nice reminder that all teenagers aren't crappy

This. TV has overloaded lately with awful teenagers.

I liked the new nurse that helped out with the blast at the doc?  Will she be a new addition?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, craziness said:

I liked Patsy's paying Sr. Ursula back for the time "wasted" with Mrs. Reed.  A couple coins (but this might have been a few Pounds). Then Patsy mentioned her dying father and stormed away. Sr. Ursula almost walked away without picking up the coins.

Oh, but she made sure not to forget!

Ursula is "bear," after all.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, craziness said:

Sr. Ursula almost walked away without picking up the coins.

One of Harriet  Walter's best roles was as the awful, money grubbing sister-in-law In the movie version of "Sense and Sensibility."  In an opening scene she talks her husband, Marianne and Elinor's stepbrother, out of giving the girls any money, as he had promised their father on his death bed.  She points out how much easier the girls will have it after they move out of the mansion they grew up in, into a tiny house where they won't have to keep very many servants and, as they will be outside society, won't have the expense of keeping a carriage.  She ends her speech with, "Actually they should give us money."

The movie ends outside the church where the girls have just had a double wedding and the joyful groom, Col Brandon, has thrown a big handful of coins to the poor  villagers who line the lane.  We see "Sister Ursula," motioning to her husband to pick-up the coins.  It's so hilarious that I actually thought the coin grabbing moment was a tiny nod to that.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Oh, I know that was the 'in style' back then. I still found the jacket very blinding, so much that I can't remember if he was wearing plaid pants or plain brown pants. It's actually driving me a bit nuts, I might have to go rewatch that part just to find out.

5 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Oh, I know that was the 'in style' back then. I still found the jacket very blinding, so much that I can't remember if he was wearing plaid pants or plain brown pants. It's actually driving me a bit nuts, I might have to go rewatch that part just to find out.

I just checked my DVR for you . . . plain brown pants.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I just checked my DVR for you . . . plain brown pants.

You're awesome! Thank you so much; it really was driving me nuts. All I could remember was plaid.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, AuntiePam said:

What's the deal with the bare-chested man in the clinic?

Was he bare-chested? I thought he was naked which had me going WHAT? I'm still having a hard time picturing them having a half dressed man modeling for a drawing class in that area during that time.

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 2
On 1/30/2017 at 1:43 PM, OnceSane said:

And why won't they just let Patsy and Delia kiss?  If Fred had walked in, I think he would have minded his own business as Phyllis did.

Don't forget it's the early sixties. Even the nicest people weren't very enlightened when it came to this.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, anniebird said:

Don't forget it's the early sixties. Even the nicest people weren't very enlightened when it came to this.

My statement was more for the writers…I just don't believe they couldn't have written in an onscreen kiss by now.

On April 10, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Calvada said:

But I think the death of his mother probably forced him to grow up, so he's a bit more mature than other 15 year olds.  As well, he's surrounded by people who are constantly thinking of others, doing for others, so it's not surprising some of that has rubbed off on him.

Tim is going to be a great doctor someday. I loved the way he figured out Shelagh was pregnant. I like that he's almost always willing to help out and enjoys being part of the excitment. That being said, everyone makes mistakes, and everyone at least once in thier lives does something stupid and irresponsible, and I think Tim's due for his. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Fireball said:

You're awesome! Thank you so much; it really was driving me nuts. All I could remember was plaid.

Was he bare-chested? I thought he was naked which had me going WHAT? I'm still having a hard time picturing them having a half dressed man modeling for a drawing class in that area during that time.

And also, why did they make a point of showing it?

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:18 PM, txhorns79 said:

Jeez, did she follow that lovely scene up by finding a puppy to kick?  I actually think it's a legitimate concern to worry about the nuns and nursing staff becoming too emotionally involved with their patients, but it's like they have Ursula do everything in the meanest, least helpful way possible.  

Completely agree. I don't have a problem with her being no-nonsense hyper-efficient, blah, blah, but she seems to relish the deprivation a little too much. The way she swooped in and turned off the TV on Sister Monica Joan last week-what harm would it have been to deny a senile old woman a few moments of joy? That was not costing anyone anything. Things like that.

• Love 8

Behind the scenes: the actress playing Sister Winifred is really rocking a Stevie Nicks look! 

It was shocking to see her with her regular look, and yes, she's totally a British Stevie Nicks.  I couldn't have been more surprised if we had seen Judy Parfitt (Sister Monica Joan) covered in facial tattoos. 

And was Sister Ursula honestly subtlety threatening Sister Monica Joan when she suggested everyone who wanted to remain there needed to carry their weight? 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

And was Sister Ursula honestly subtlety threatening Sister Monica Joan when she suggested everyone who wanted to remain there needed to carry their weight? 

That's how I took it.  And apparently how Sr. MJ took it as well, from the look on her face.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

It was shocking to see her with her regular look, and yes, she's totally a British Stevie Nicks.  I couldn't have been more surprised if we had seen Judy Parfitt (Sister Monica Joan) covered in facial tattoos. 

Not so subtly, IMO. Everyone at the table seemed to get where she was going with that. She's just so awful.

• Love 2

I'm guessing there is no worker's comp since that poor blind guy can't make a living and there is no money coming in.  They can't live on Fred's veggies forever.

Heck, it was a "win" for the Coroner's Court to recommend fresh water on the site, and keeping a list of everyone at work! That's a pretty low bar and a long way to go.

• Love 5

And even if Sister Ursula is trained, I would hate to have her deliver my baby.

Sister Ursula would expect the baby to be toilet-trained and walking on its own before the mother left the hospital.

• Love 4

Threatening Sister Monica Joan just seems so contrary to any of the church teachings!  Wasn't it in the very first episode that Sister Julienne tells Jenny Lee it is their honor to care for Sister Monica Joan, or words to that effect?  Perhaps Ursula should have been doing some studying instead of Mary Cynthia.

I was surprised that no one talked about programs to help the blind.  England had been through two devastating wars; I find it hard to believe there wasn't some type of vocational rehabilitation program for soldiers who were blinded, the type of thing that would transfer to civilians who lose their sight.  Perhaps it was too early to assume he would be blind, but give the guy some hope for opportunities to work and to manage life at home. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, kwnyc said:

Heck, it was a "win" for the Coroner's Court to recommend fresh water on the site, and keeping a list of everyone at work! That's a pretty low bar and a long way to go.

And that was only after George (I think that was the character's name) appeared in court!! When the judge was such a jerk to Shelagh, I thought, wow, too bad Sister Sourpuss is a nun. Here's her perfect match!

• Love 4
On 4/10/2017 at 9:08 PM, ChelleGame said:

I liked the new nurse that helped out with the blast at the doc?  Will she be a new addition?

I really hope do. She was awesome and they could use someone to pick up more of the district nursing. 

9 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

Didn't she also play Harriet Vane in the "Lord Peter Wimsey" mysteries

YES,  She was the very best Harriet Vane. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, GaT said:

I don't think I can stand an entire season of Sister Ursula, she is such a bitch. The first thing I thought of after the explosion was that chemical smoke was not a good thing for a pregnant woman to breathe in, I wonder if that's something that's going to come up later in Shelagh's pregnancy?

I assumed it was flour or grain dust. A lot of common foods are explosive when they are in powder form. I recall the older man who died said he didn't have the lungs for this work anymore so dust in whatever form was something they were exposed to all the time. I could be wrong and it was chemicals, but explosions at sugar and flour plants/storage facilities are a constant hazard. 

Edited by Subrookie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
  On 4/10/2017 at 10:08 PM, ChelleGame said:

I really hope do. She was awesome and they could use someone to pick up more of the district nursing. 

22 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

Didn't she also play Harriet Vane in the "Lord Peter Wimsey" mysteries

YES,  She was the very best Harriet Vane. 

STOP THE PRESSES. When did this Lord Peter series air and where and how can I watch it right now this minute today?!

• Love 4