Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Three Sentences

• Start Topic

My heart broke at Kate and Jack's scene at her birthday party.  My daughter went through that a bit earlier, 7 yrs. old, when her friends laughed at her because she had training wheels on her bicycle and it fell to me to cheer her up.  Fortunately, I had more success.

No dog for the kids?  Side-eyeing Rebecca here.

I loved the way that Kevin strung out his third sentence (dot dot dot, comma,) in order to say everything he wanted to say.  I hope he got her phone number off camera, because it would be a bit weird to have it on all your phones for the last 12 years.

• Love 2

Madonna definitely did not look like that in 1989, and hadn't looked like that since those kids were in preschool.

Three really good friends is enough.  It's worth more than all the friendly acquaintances in the world.  Good call, Randall!

Toby's face when Kevin described the ennui of supermodel sex was priceless. "It's like we're not even the same species."

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I hope he got her phone number off camera, because it would be a bit weird to have it on all your phones for the last 12 years.

Ha!  That bugged me too!  It was like when Veronica Mars had Logan's number in her phone (in the movie), even though she hadn't seen him in 10 years and there was no indication that they kept in touch. 

Anyway, sorry, back to the show...

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but Toby doesn't bother me that much.  He is sincere in his feelings for Kate and I will be pissed off if they have her go with that Dick guy.  Jack is still awesome and I so wish Rebecca would let him get a dog.  Maybe in future episodes it will happen.

P.S.  13 episodes in and I still haven't cried.  But it's still my favorite new show.  

• Love 3

I did not notice the different spellings of "Sophie" on Kevin's b-day card and "Sofie" on the mean girls note at the pool but someone else pointed that out to us in an earlier post. So I got to thinking about it and I think maybe we were shown a close-up of both to differentiate the two. I think that the mean girls just signed Sophie's name and spelled it incorrectly. Sophie either was unaware the other girls signed her name or was intimidated into allowing  them to do so.  That may end up being a flashback story as to how Kate and Sophie became friends (either initially or again if they were already friends at the time of the mean girls note at the pool) discussing that Sophie had not signed that note.

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 10

Okay...my quick thoughts on the anachronistic Madonna-isms.

Yeah, "Material Girl" Madonna was gone and "Vogue" Madonna had moved in by the time of the birthday party.  However, my guess is it was far easier to do party favors and costumes based on Material Girl Madonna.  Plus, just because Madonna's style was a certain way doesn't mean her youngest fans were there.  Little girls love lace and bows--not menswear.

Really, of all the anachronisms in this show--some of which drive me crazy--I found this one to be the least offensive.

• Love 7

For what it's worth, I dressed as Madonna in 96 for Halloween and I picked the Borderline Madonna.  It was easier, more fun, and recognizable than any of the other Madonna looks. 

My mom stuck with three hairstyles her entire life.  Before she had us, she kept her hair hippie long.  When we were young, she went shoulder length and the last twenty years she's had short hair.  She goes with what she likes and doesn't care about what's fashionable.  Rebecca has been shown to care about things like makeup and having her hair and clothes looking good but I don't get the impression that she's all that interested in being on top of the latest styles.  Plus, even if she was, she was raising kids in the 80s, the decade of horrible hair.  I don't blame her at all for avoiding all of those hair don'ts.  It means she doesn't die of embarrassment every time she looks at those pictures.

• Love 9

Many people do keep hairstyles from their youth for a long time.  I still see older women from time to time with '60s 'dos (like, in the vein of a beehive but not as extreme).

10 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

No dog for the kids?  Side-eyeing Rebecca here.

I'm on Rebecca's side on this one.  I loved having dogs when I was growing up, but then when my first wife and I got one "for the kids", it was a royal PITA (and yes, I do know how to train dogs, quite well actually).  Shedding hair everywhere, always needing to be walked.  Being a parent is enough work on its own!  I was glad that when we got divorced, she kept the dog; I vowed from then on to just get free no-strings-attached enjoyment out of other people's dogs.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:20 AM, Tiger said:

I really likes FatCampHorseTrainerGuy.  I dont think he came across as creepy or pushy.  I think he had a certain swagger/confidence that the writers think Toby does but definitely does not.  I also saw more chemistry between Chrissy and that actor then I've ever seen between Chrissy & Chris.  

Brave thing to say!  As I was reading all the hate posts for that dude, I was thinking to myself that there are a significant number of women who would find his brashness sexy.  Which is not--just to be 100% clear--to say that the women who are saying the opposite actually dig his schtick deep down but don't want to admit it.  I absolutely believe that guys like that rub many women, maybe even the majority, the wrong way (to say the least).  Meaning they are presumably mortified that the others I'm talking about are selling out the sisterhood, LOL (kind of like how my wife feels about women who like that book 50 Shades of Grey).

On 1/25/2017 at 7:24 AM, PRgal said:

I suppose the writers were probably too young to remember this!  It wouldn't surprise me if many of the writers are in their 30s and too young to remember if they did not have older siblings.  A 1990 Madonna would have had a high ponytail and red, red lips.

You might have something there, but they could always do some cursory research.  I appreciate how meticulous the showrunners of The Americans are, on a smaller budget.  That show is set in the early '80s and has steadily progressed through dates they keep track of.  If the family is watching TV, they make sure whatever it is (anything from a random hockey game to David Copperfield's Statue of Liberty illusion) is what would have been on TV on that date at that exact time.

Now, that said: this is not a dealbreaker.  I'm not going to denounce the show and stop watching as a result of this.  But we are here to chew the fat over this episode, and that's what I'm doing.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:24 AM, bybrandy said:

Wasn't it established in the last episode that the kids were born in 1980 since Dr. K's wife died 14 months ago in 1979?  That makes the party in 1990.  

Love the Princess Bride.  LOVE and loved it at that age, too.  My mom took my brother and I to see it in the theaters after she accidentally saw it on a business trip (what she went to see was sold out and she needed a break) but this movie did not get widely known until it was out on video.    I am willing to believe Kevin got dragged to that movie because it was Kate's pick and he decided he loved it cause Sophie did (as it was established he was scared when they saw it in the theater) but this movie was kind of a theatrical flop.  All the kids at the party being familiar with it seems a little off to me.  Not enough that I minded, but since we're talking dates I thought I'd throw that out there.

I'm a few years older than the "Big 3" (I had my driver's license by the time they had their tenth birthday), but while I don't remember The Princess Bride at all from the year it came out in theatres (1987), by a couple years later (circa 1989, I'm pretty sure) there were theatre/drama kids who were totally into it and would watch it over and over on VHS and try to get everyone they knew to do the same.

On 1/25/2017 at 1:12 PM, txhorns79 said:

It was passe in 1990, just like a group of ten year olds showing up for a "Beatles" party in 1970 would get strange looks if they were all dressed like the "Ed Sullivan" era Beatles.    

Exactly.  Whereas by the '80s, people might show up to such a party in attire and hair from any Beatles era and no one would bat an eye.  But while they were still megastars, their most current look is what's going to represent them.

On 1/25/2017 at 3:39 PM, Duke2801 said:

Thank you for this!  I am a child of the 80s and yeah, they don't nail every single detail about the time period.  But who cares?  Not to mention, when people dress up as Madonna nowadays for 80s theme parties, 9 out of 10 of them ARE wearing her mid-80s look with the lace glove, etc.  And she certainly doesn't dress like that today!

Sure, but see above.  She's not the megastar she was then.  And this party didn't take place in the '80s, which is actually important.  Even though decade transitions are arbitrary, I remember people being pretty affected by them--at least from '89 to '90 and '99 to '00 (the change from '09 to '10 is a sort of outlier from the pattern that doesn't seem to psychologically work the same).  When we hit 1990, my friends and I all felt the '80s was so over.  Yet it was still too close to be something to get retro and nostalgic about.  Early '80s style, at that point, was just embarrassing.

• Love 2
On 1/25/2017 at 0:37 PM, SuzyLee said:

I just have to throw this into the mix: Politeness aside, what makes a school think it can mandate which kids are invited to birthday parties in private homes after school hours?  I don't remember the school getting involved in that at all when I was a kid, nor was it an issue when my daughter was small.  I just think it creates a lot of conflict and stress that might have been avoided, as long as the invitation-distribution was handled discreetly.  Of course, children aren't always known for their discretion in social matters like these, but it seems like an avoidable issue to me.  Maybe I feel this way because I never experienced such rules; I don't know.

At my kid's school, you only had to invite the entire class if the invitations were being handed out on school property.  If they were mailed or hand delivered privately, you could invite whomever you wished.  

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, allienc said:

At my kid's school, you only had to invite the entire class if the invitations were being handed out on school property.  If they were mailed or hand delivered privately, you could invite whomever you wished.  

I think that's a good rule.  Same deal with valentines distributed on school property.  There should never be that poor little kid with no valentines.  

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, allienc said:

I didn't think "invite the whole class or else" rules existed when the Big Three were kids.  They certainly didn't at my school (I was left out from who I THOUGHT was my BFF's party because she wanted to invite boys to her 11th and she thought I wasn't "mature" enough or something to that extent).  I didn't think things changed until, say, 1992 or so - a few years after the setting.  That said, I typically invited all the girls in my class.  Big mistake one year as one kid, a known "bad girl" pulled off (yes, AMPUTATED) a Barbie's leg.  :S

• Love 4
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

I didn't think "invite the whole class or else" rules existed when the Big Three were kids.  They certainly didn't at my school (I was left out from who I THOUGHT was my BFF's party because she wanted to invite boys to her 11th and she thought I wasn't "mature" enough or something to that extent).  I didn't think things changed until, say, 1992 or so - a few years after the setting.  That said, I typically invited all the girls in my class.  Big mistake one year as one kid, a known "bad girl" pulled off (yes, AMPUTATED) a Barbie's leg.  :S

Ah, memories.  I was scorned this way as well.  Apparently, my lack of appreciation for Paula Abdul didn't quite qualify me for her high-flying company.  ;-)

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

I think that's a good rule.  Same deal with valentines distributed on school property.  There should never be that poor little kid with no valentines.  

speaking as that poor little kid, I agree. But children are cruel. I remember handing out invites to my Sweet 16 and having my supposed best friend tell me she couldn't make it. Then when another 'friend' said he would attend, I HEARD her ask him why he accepted. Nice, huh? Some memories stay with you no matter how old you get...

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Sake614 said:

speaking as that poor little kid, I agree. But children are cruel. I remember handing out invites to my Sweet 16 and having my supposed best friend tell me she couldn't make it. Then when another 'friend' said he would attend, I HEARD her ask him why he accepted. Nice, huh? Some memories stay with you no matter how old you get...

That's HORRIBLE! 

• Love 6

Finally got a chance to watch this episode, and I am balling over Jack's funeral scenes. I. Just. Can't.

I have been reading people debating whether Sophie, Kevin's ex wife, and Sophie, Kate's best friend, are one in the same. I am pretty sure they are.

I still don't like Toby but found him bearable as Kevin's "friend" as opposed to Kate's boyfriend. And stable guy is an asshole in the opposite direction of Toby. Sheesh! Kate needs to change her perfume or something.

I get why Randall went out with William but feel if Randall explained why working was so important that William would have understood. Randall was wishy washy with it. In fact, the writer's could have written the scene better by simply having William mention in an offhand way that he wanted to do some stuff on his bucket list and since this day he felt exceptional well that day would be the perfect day. With the way Randall has been written in the past, I can see him opting to forego his work responsibilities to give William his wish.

I can watch a show with the younger version of the big three and Rebecca and Jack. I know most would find it boring. They get me in the feels every time.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

Is this boss the same jerk who threw the bonus envelopes in the air at the Christmas party?  If so, maybe we got to see that for a reason, as in, Randall may be heading for a parting of the ways. 

Yes, it's the same boss. If Randall plans on staying in the same field, going to work at another firm isn't going to change anything, since that kind of toxic and ultra-competitive environment is typical for the finance industry. He'd have to change careers or start his own business if he wants his day-to-day life to be different.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2017 at 4:30 PM, Dreamboat Annie said:

the funeral photo of Jack shows he's older than we have seen, no more babies, maybe - I don't see this as closed despite their older ages - a miscarriage perhaps?  I wouldn't put it past this show to do that to us! 

I kept expecting to see a second program from the funeral for the 4th child we haven't met yet, thinking they died together in an accident.  I don't think we've heard the last of Jack wanting another child.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Finally got a chance to watch this episode, and I am balling over Jack's funeral scenes. I. Just. Can't.

I have been reading people debating whether Sophie, Kevin's ex wife, and Sophie, Kate's best friend, are one in the same. I am pretty sure they are.

I thought the confusion was over if Sophie was the 8 year old 'Sofie' who signed the mean note calling Kate a pig in The Pool episode, not if it was her 10-year-old friend Sophie from this episode.  I mean, I think everyone believes that latter.  

Just now, Winston9-DT3 said:

They made Randall into a quant who does sales, which isn't really a thing, to get him to have this important, short deadline this ep. 

Weather futures are a real thing, and would be very important for a wind farm (will you have enough wind? On enough days?  Will it be too strong?  Will rain and/or snow be a factor?).

Just now, topanga said:

I don't understand all of the specifics, but it seems like Randall's boss brought in an outside guy to work on an account that Randall wanted an opportunity to work on. It was slightly beyond Randall's level of expertise, but he felt capable of doing the work. So the boss allowed both of them to work on the math formulation (?), and he would pick the "winner." Yeah, Randall says weather. That's all I know.

Randal wanted to get into "renewables" -- wind and solar farms, tidal generators, that sort of thing.  The sort of operation where predicting the weather is critical.

Just now, chocolatine said:

As for Randall being an asshole to Sanjay, Sanjay started it. He humble-bragged about biking in from Brooklyn (establishing himself as an alpha-male), then "corrected" Randall about the wind farm specifics even though what Randall said was technically correct. Then when the boss made a bad joke, Sanjay laughed sycophantically whereas Randall just grimaced. Sanjay is the asshole.

Also, too, American CEOs love H1Bs (not that I know that Sanjay is, but it's possible).  They work longer hours for less pay because they know they're thoroughly replaceable -- I had a boss say that if anyone didn't like the hours, there were a dozen guys back in India who'd love to have their job.) 

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Weather futures are a real thing,

I know.  I just feel like they've previously depicted him as a weather derivatives analyst but here he was talking about helping to land an account.   I've worked in investment finance for decades and have never seen analysts do sales.  Though they've also referred to him as a trader.  So I don't listen closely when he starts talking about work because I know it's not going to make perfect sense.  I think he's going to be a composite of many investment finance stereotypes, like most TV professionals are.  

On 1/24/2017 at 11:00 PM, Cardie said:

I always found Bartley very endearing as Ferg, and sort of cute with the stubble. This is making me like him more than the writing of Stableboy as stalkery jerk should do.

Same with me; I've got some Adam Bartley goodwill going on and I'm interested to see where this goes.

On 1/25/2017 at 8:17 AM, qtpye said:

I am sick of Jack being so damn perfect. 

I'm surprised that they haven't CGI'd a halo on Jack yet.

On 1/25/2017 at 9:59 AM, milner said:

The trouble with Toby's grand gesture approach to me is that it puts the woman/man on the receiving end of the gesture in the position to be unable to say no.  Toby barging in on Kate's Super Bowl with Dad Day, or flying uninvited to their family Christmas .........

And according to the previews, he shows up at Fat Camp.  Maybe they have a guest weekend, I don't know, but it looked like another example of his lack of boundaries.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:29 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

In my kids' school, the rule was that if you invited half the class kids of one gender to a party, you had to invite them all.  So if there were 12 boys in the class, you could invite up to the 5 with whom you were truly friendly. If you liked 7 of the boys, you invited all 12.

I guess the invitation thing we've talked about makes sense, but otherwise?  The school does not get to dictate with whom my child spends his/her personal time, especially for something as special as a birthday party.  That would be my job as the parent, not the school's.

On 1/25/2017 at 2:36 PM, TobinAlbers said:

The man who wins Kate's heart has Jack Pearson to measure up to and that is no easy task.

I'd love to believe this is true, but Toby is no Jack Pearson. 

Ok, about the geography stuff.  How far is Pittsburgh from New Jersey/New York?  Rebecca and Miguel stopped at Randall's house on the way to New York ("the city") to see Hamilton, is that a trip that people often make in a day?  People do move throughout their lives, even parents of adult children, so I guess I'm not all that concerned about where everyone lives and the deal with the childhood home.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

according to the previews, he shows up at Fat Camp.  Maybe they have a guest weekend, I don't know, but it looked like another example of his lack of boundaries.

Kate called and TOLD Toby to get up there and rescue her because the place was a cult and she couldn't stand it-- StableGuy grabbed her phone, but not before she got that much out. So I think Toby showing up this time isn't going to be a boundary violation.

RE William bugging Randall to leave work: forgive this story... it's about a cat. But I had a cat with cancer. He had been sick for a while and I knew he didn't have a long time to live. One day he suddenly seemed so much better, he was snuggly and affectionate and lovey and his eyes were bright again and he wanted to be with me and really engage in a way that I hadn't seen in a while. Part of me was thinking: oh, maybe he's going to get well after all, maybe the meds are working and we'll get more time! But another part of me thought maybe he was saying good bye, rallying to give me one last burst of love before he died. I had a meeting I was supposed to go to and I told him I'd be back in 2 hours to enjoy his company. But when I got back it was too late. I really wish I'd skipped the meeting. It was a moment I can never get back, and I have never gotten over having left him when he was giving me his all and asking for my presence to go out on a high. So I took both Randall and William feeling like: maybe this is the last time they'll have, maybe this is William's one final rally now that the chemo is stopped, and he's going to fail very rapidly. So I really felt for both of them, and understood why William was so insistent and Randall didn't say no. If I feel this way about my cat, imagine how Randall would have felt about his father. Sometimes things happen very quickly near the end, and they both know the end is very near.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

Ok, about the geography stuff.  How far is Pittsburgh from New Jersey/New York?  Rebecca and Miguel stopped at Randall's house on the way to New York ("the city") to see Hamilton, is that a trip that people often make in a day?  People do move throughout their lives, even parents of adult children, so I guess I'm not all that concerned about where everyone lives and the deal with the childhood home.

Randall's house in NJ.

Pittsburgh to NYC is a 6 hour drive.

17 hours ago, PRgal said:

I didn't think "invite the whole class or else" rules existed when the Big Three were kids.

I'm a few years older than they are, and the Valentine rule at least was definitely in place when I was in grade school (that you had to bring some for everyone in the class or no one at all).  I'm not sure about party invitations.

10 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

And according to the previews

Is preview talk allowed here?  I know it's not on at least some forums here; I had assumed (and dearly hope) it's not allowed on any of them, as I never watch them and hate being spoiled.

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I really wish I'd skipped the meeting. It was a moment I can never get back, and I have never gotten over having left him when he was giving me his all and asking for my presence to go out on a high

I carry a similar guilt over my old cat, who had climbed the steps close to my door just before he died of old age and diabetes.  I saw him there and thought he had just forgotten that I had moved his food dish from that spot to just outside his sleeping box.  When I looked in on him a few hours later he had died in his box and it was then that I realized he might have been coming to me for comfort. However.   One reason I wasn't hovering over him is that I did hover over my last dachshund as she was dying.  When I saw that her final moments were coming I wanted her to "die in my arms," so I picked her up, at which point her bladder released on me and her eyes opened wide and I could see that her last thought was , "Oh no!  I peed on Mommy!  Bad dog!" Sigh.  Moral is -- you can't win.  Our own sentimental stuff aside, most animals do have an instinct to die alone, so don't feel bad anymore!

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

those of you over fifty with no wrinkles, sags or grey hair: I hate you.

possibilities: this show has yet to make me cry, but your sweet, sad cat story just did.

Ditto, and ditto.  (I never knew how many wrinkles I had until I started needing reading glasses and saw myself up close, accurately.)  I felt sniffles about possibilities and JudyObscure's pets, too.  Lots of stuff on the show resonates with me, but I haven't gotten to the point of waterworks.  Probably will when William and Jack slip the earthly bonds.  Especially if we see Randall at both ages crying. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

those of you over fifty with no wrinkles, sags or grey hair: I hate you.

possibilities: this show has yet to make me cry, but your sweet, sad cat story just did.

I'll join you in the hate for the non-aging folks and add my own jealousy of the people whose pets die at home.  Maybe it's my fear of their suffering but I always have to make the call of when to take my pets to the vet for euthanasia and I hate that more than anything.  I have two geriatric dogs now and lost a geriatric ferret in 2016 and I find myself really wishing they'd just succumb at home peacefully so the 'when' isn't up to me.  Though I'm sure that presents its own challenges, too.  

The horse guy screamed predator to me.  If anyone had every approached me in such a way, I would have been repulsed, and I would never be alone with him.  I would have been incredibly nervous being in a camp situation like that, with uncertain security.  Years of working with sexual assault victims made this guy's behavior seem not only appalling but potentially criminal.  Anyone who infers in any way that your participation in a sexual encounter is not your choice, that it's "inevitable" --- STAY AWAY!  Why do TV writers think this type of behavior is appealing to women?  I would have LOVED it if Kate had told the guy to go to hell, then immediately gone to the camp officials to report this inappropriate jerk.  I realize they are trying to show that Kate is uncertain about her commitment to Toby, but why not have her meet a nice guy, be attracted to him, and so.  Why does he have to be an asshole?  I know plenty of overweight people who have nice partners/spouses; they haven't had to settle for a jerk just because they are overweight, which is what the show seems to be suggesting is Kate's only option. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

I felt sniffles about possibilities and JudyObscure's pets, too.

@JudyObscure's story pulled off the rare trick of making me laugh and get misty-eyed simultaneously.  I hope that doesn't sound horrible: I thought that was her intent but I could be wrong.

31 minutes ago, Calvada said:

Anyone who infers in any way that your participation in a sexual encounter is not your choice, that it's "inevitable" --- STAY AWAY!  Why do TV writers think this type of behavior is appealing to women?

Because, as we've seen in this very thread, it is appealing to some women.  You might wish it were otherwise, but that's how it is.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I guess the invitation thing we've talked about makes sense, but otherwise?  The school does not get to dictate with whom my child spends his/her personal time, especially for something as special as a birthday party.  That would be my job as the parent, not the school's.

It's an anti-bullying thing. If a student invites every child in his/her class except one and then all the kids talk about how fun the party is going to be/was, it's a way to bully and isolate the uninvited child. The uninvited child's parents can use that as evidence that the school is supporting a bullying environment and sue the school. Schools are required to get involved with events that take place outside of school if they effect things that happen in school. (It's the same reason my school can suspend students who get into fights off school grounds on the weekends or get caught drinking/using drugs outside of school.)

Edited by Rockstar99435
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Rockstar99435 said:

It's an anti-bullying thing. If a student invites every child in his/her class except one and then all the kids talk about how fun the party is going to be/was, it's a way to bully and isolate the uninvited child. The uninvited child's parents can use that as evidence that the school is supporting a bullying environment and sue the school. Schools are required to get involved with events that take place outside of school if they effect things that happen in school. (It's the same reason my school can suspend students who get into fights off school grounds on the weekends or get caught drinking/using drugs outside of school.)

I agree with the poster who said that their school has this rule only for invitations that get handed out on school grounds.  That makes sense.  For the school to have control over every waking moment and private event in the kids' lives is crazy.  What if the parents can't afford to invite the whole class, parties are expensive. Your can't protect every kid from ever having their feelings hurt no matter how many rules you put into place unfortunately.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

What if the parents can't afford to invite the whole class,

Then they pass out their invitations outside of school.  

Anyone who infers in any way that your participation in a sexual encounter is not your choice, that it's "inevitable" --- STAY AWAY!

I agree with that but I think the writers' intent was to suggest Kate *is* a little interested and Duke sees that, not that he's going to assault her.  In this case especially, Kate has the power.  She could get him fired, like you said.  The fact she didn't supports that she doesn't feel threatened and that he knows that.  Since they're two adults acting on their own volition, I say who cares what little flirting games they want to play.  But it's all in how you read the scene.  I thought he was douchey and I probably would've gotten him in trouble at grabbing my phone and hanging up on someone.  But this show loves its grand gestures.  If nothing else, they're generating water cooler buzz with all these OTT scenes.  

Edited by Guest

That "camp" went to truly did seem stupid to me.  I would expect more like what she was thinking, not new age touchy feely stuff.  Nothing wrong with it in particular, if that's what you are into, but you don't need to go to an expensive camp to do that, you can do that anywhere.  Plus they should have told her what to expect ahead of time. 

And I would think that guy would be fired for hitting on her like that and making the insinuations that he did about them sleeping together. 

Toby, still irritating.  I know he likes to make jokes, but could he at least make good, original jokes.  The girl wasn't laughing because you AREN"T FUNNY, not because she didn't get the joke.  And because she's probably heard it 1000 times before. 

I could identify with Randall at the party.  I don't need a whole ton of people at a party or a lot of friends, as long as you have some close ones. 

really liked the story with Randall and his dad this week too.  Though of course it means he is going to die soon.  I mean, yes, we know he will die soon, he has untreated cancer.  But after this episode will be I expect in the new 1-2 episodes

Was trying to see how old the kids were at Jack's funeral.  They looked rather young, like late teens/early 20s.  Of course they coyly hid it and had to show things from the back.  ANd no dates anywhere to identify when it was. 

What bugged me about the camp was the suggestion that a minute of smacking a yoga mat with sticks caused this major cathartic realization for Kate.  

Maybe I should skip my daily dog walk today and smack my yoga mat a bit instead.

1 hour ago, Rockstar99435 said:

Exactly.  When I was in second grade I was invited to one classmate birthday party that year.  It was for a girl who made it clear that her parents made her invite me.  I don't know why but second grade was the year that the cliques really started forming and I was unlucky enough to share a class with kids who didn't like me.  Besides the girl who was forced to invite me, the other classmates did talk about the fun birthday parties I'd been excluded from and would do that "didn't you have fun, scarynikki12? Oh yeah, you weren't invited" thing that is designed to make the shy, unpopular, kid feel like pure shit.  It worked.  Bullying comes in many different forms and isn't as direct and obvious as movies lead us to believe.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

I'm a few years older than they are, and the Valentine rule at least was definitely in place when I was in grade school (that you had to bring some for everyone in the class or no one at all).  I'm not sure about party invitations.

Is preview talk allowed here?  I know it's not on at least some forums here; I had assumed (and dearly hope) it's not allowed on any of them, as I never watch them and hate being spoiled.

I'm sorry; I didn't know it wasn't allowed, and I have read the rules but it's been awhile.  I thought that what was shown on TV was OK to talk about.  Again, sorry.

So Pittsburgh to NY and back is more than a day trip then.  It seems like Rebecca and Miguel must live closer to Randall.

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

That "camp" went to truly did seem stupid to me.  I would expect more like what she was thinking, not new age touchy feely stuff.  Nothing wrong with it in particular, if that's what you are into, but you don't need to go to an expensive camp to do that, you can do that anywhere.  Plus they should have told her what to expect ahead of time. 

The doctor described it as "Total Immersion".  I'm sure the pamphlet or website said it was a total-person concept. Mind/body.  

Honestly, if she's going to lose the weight, this is EXACTLY the camp she needs.  She needs to figure out WHY she spiraled into her current medical state.  What triggers her.  They talked about mindfulness.  Most health care experts will tell you this is essential for successful weight loss.  It means eating at the kitchen table vice in front of the computer.  In front of the computer is mindless eating -- you eat a whole bag of chips without noticing.  Mindfulness means you eat the food deliberately.  It's a truly different experience.  

They have a gym.  She can do all that.  But they are working on getting her to see the big picture -- what drives her eating behavior.  This is not just about calories in versus calories out.  That's a very 80's/90's failed approach.  It may work for the modestly overweight crowd.  Not for people like Kate.  

• Love 12

It's a long drive for a play but if you consider the impromptu Randall visit and assume they maybe made it a weekend in NYC (or longer), not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Plus it was Hamilton.  

I'd totally choose a new age fat camp over some Biggest Loser one.  I can spend 6 hours a day on a treadmill at home, with a pose-able Jillian doll perched on the console like a mean gargoyle, even.  

8 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'd totally choose a new age fat camp over some Biggest Loser one.  I can spend 6 hours a day on a treadmill at home, with a pose-able Jillian doll perched on the console like a mean gargoyle, even.  

Agreed. I could even hire neighborhood children to come shout horrible insults at me to "keep me motivated!" 

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

it was sort of interpretive-dancey.

Oh!  Maybe they can do a crossover with Netflix's The OA and raise Jack from the dead.