Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Three Sentences

• Start Topic

Like kat165, I'm in northern New Jersey, and edgg creams are deffo an NYC thing. I had one last night. The guy taking my order asked if I wanted chocolate or vanilla, like a vanilla egg cream was even a real thing!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Isn't that kind of the point?  Kate isn't cool enough to be aware that her classmates wouldn't be thrilled with a tulle and gloves Madonna party, perhaps preferring something edgier, or at least, a chance to mingle with the boys.  Kevin's friends would likely have been totally fine having a "boys only" party.  In retrospect, when Kate had her "girls only" party, Kevin should have had a playdate elsewhere, or hung out at Randall's party, and then had his party after Kate's was over.

I don't think so.  All the little girls seemed to be similarly dressed and Sophie complemented her on her gloves.  There was no apparent awkwardness as to the choice of theme that I noticed.  My impression was that Sophie and the other girls went to Kevin's party because he (and possibly Sophie) were more popular and they all liked The Princess Bride.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, deaja said:

Heck, I'd rather see a Kevin-Beth-Randall love triangle than StableStalker-Kate-Toby.

Hmmm. I'd hate to see Beth cheat on Randall, but that would be some serious, nail-biting drama, especially considering Randall and Kevin's history -- they're just starting to mend their brother relationship after years of distance and mild tension. 

• Love 1

In retrospect, when Kate had her "girls only" party, Kevin should have had a playdate elsewhere, or hung out at Randall's party, and then had his party after Kate's was over.

I was surprised when that didn't happen. It is pretty common for kids to age out of wanting combined parties. I know people with twins and they have parties at different times of the same day (up until they were 8 or 9, they had combined parties). What the Pearsons ended up with is a mega-party in multiple rooms. Why would you set up competing parties like that?

When they were trying to lure kids from the other two parties to Randall's, I suspected they would get all of both parties at Randall's and Kate/Kevin who did care about their parties would have had their parties "ruined" (Randall really didn't seem to care all that much - "Whatever" was his mantra and he was totally unconcerned if anybody other than the kids he likes came). Kids that age move in herds (as seen by all of Kate's party moving over to Kevin's and ruining her party experience).

• Love 1

Yup, different times of day would have made  much more sense. And they could have attended each other's parties!

ETA:

@jhlipton, in a world where there is such a thing as a "chocolate martini", I'd say all bets are off! LOL 

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kili said:

I was surprised when that didn't happen. It is pretty common for kids to age out of wanting combined parties. I know people with twins and they have parties at different times of the same day (up until they were 8 or 9, they had combined parties). What the Pearsons ended up with is a mega-party in multiple rooms. Why would you set up competing parties like that?

When they were trying to lure kids from the other two parties to Randall's, I suspected they would get all of both parties at Randall's and Kate/Kevin who did care about their parties would have had their parties "ruined" (Randall really didn't seem to care all that much - "Whatever" was his mantra and he was totally unconcerned if anybody other than the kids he likes came). Kids that age move in herds (as seen by all of Kate's party moving over to Kevin's and ruining her party experience).

Maybe Jack and Rebecca thought it would be better to have a couple hours of total insanity (45 kids) than a whole day of slight insanity? How long to kids' parties last, 2-3 hours? To fit three in they'd probably have to do something like 12-3, 3-6, and 6-9. And would have to clean between each in order to make the house presentable for the next batch of kids. I can see the advantage of doing them all at once.

I'm just surprised the kids were okay with it. If they wanted separate parties, I would have expected them to be the center of attention and not be competing with two other parties. But I guess it makes sense when you know Kevin wanted Sophie at his party.

• Love 3

I have kids whose birthdays are 8 days apart.  I would take the weekend in between and have one's party on Saturday and the other on Sunday.  Generic  birthday plates and napkins, balloons would last for 2 days, etc.  Worked for us.

• Love 2

But I guess it makes sense when you know Kevin wanted Sophie at his party.

If Kevin wanted a guarantee of Sophie at his party, he would have gone for a single party or parties at separate times and invited her himself. Kevin hasn't been shown to be a master manipulator of people.  If he was, he would be getting all the attention from his parents and not have to go swimming which he cannot do at a pool he dislikes more than the one they were originally going to. 

He may have chosen a theme that appealed to Sophie (do we know if she was the Princess Bride fan or was she drawn to it because it was his theme? I could see the PB appealing to him because it was dramatic and goofy and Kevin is dramatic and goofy), but he doesn't seem machavilian enough for him to have planned to steal all of Kate's party guests away from her all along.  This seems inconsistent with the child who held her hand as she was wheeled off for surgery. I think he just got lucky that Sophie joined his party. He may have even fallen in love with Sophie when she joined his party and gave him her undivided attention. We didn't see him trying to bogart the party guests. We just see them suddenly at his party.

• Love 4

I feel like Kate is introspective, intense and sensitive and Kevin's the gregarious, light-hearted goofball who attracts women everywhere he goes.  Like a golden retriever.  It wouldn't surprise me if we get a line from Kate about this not being the only friend of hers who's jumped ship for Kevin.  

23 minutes ago, kili said:

If Kevin wanted a guarantee of Sophie at his party, he would have gone for a single party or parties at separate times and invited her himself. Kevin hasn't been shown to be a master manipulator of people.  If he was, he would be getting all the attention from his parents and not have to go swimming which he cannot do at a pool he dislikes more than the one they were originally going to. 

I'll have to go watch the episode again, but I got the feeling that the desire to have separate parties was not so much because every child wanted a separate party, but because Kevin and Randall (who did not get along) didn't want to share a party.  My guess is that Kevin and Kate would have been fine with a combined party.

• Love 1

Kevin and Kate were the ones who wanted the separate parties, Randall didn't care either way until Jack and Rebecca agreed he could have a magician.  Randall thought they were going to be checked for lice when he was called into the room. I think Kate and Kevin each wanted to impress Sophie by having parties that she would want to go to.  Jack and Rebecca questioned why Kevin would have a Princess Bride movie when he was afraid of it and were surprised Kate would want a Madonna themed party (Sophie loved Madonna).  

I wonder if the boys who called Randall Webster were at the party.

• Love 6

Yeah, it was Kate and Kevin who called the "family meeting" to ask for separate parties. 

1 hour ago, kili said:

I think he just got lucky that Sophie joined his party. He may have even fallen in love with Sophie when she joined his party and gave him her undivided attention. We didn't see him trying to bogart the party guests. We just see them suddenly at his party.

I think that's what happened. Sophie brought a card for Kevin (and drew a little heart over the letter "i" in her name) even though she was Kate's party guest, and she seems to have been the instigator of the mass migration from Kate's party to Kevin's. I wouldn't be surprised if she only became Kate's friend so that she could get closer to Kevin.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I think that's what happened. Sophie brought a card for Kevin (and drew a little heart over the letter "i" in her name) even though she was Kate's party guest, and she seems to have been the instigator of the mass migration from Kate's party to Kevin's. I wouldn't be surprised if she only became Kate's friend so that she could get closer to Kevin.

She also signed the card, "Love, Sophie," so I agree with you that it's possible she only befriended Kate to be around Kevin.  It's also possible she started to like Kevin after she became friends with Kate and got to know Kevin.  But I suspect she was using Kate's friendship.

• Love 4

Just when it seemed like I couldn't heart Jack anymore, the vogue-ing started. That was adorable. I think that Kevin & Sophie both used the parties and Kate to meet each other. 

Any scenes with Randall & William together are flawless to me, regardless of motive. 

One more on the HorseAss Hate Train. The last thing Kate needs is another pushy guy in her life. HorseAss seems to think that his pushiness with Kate is charming-it's not. He believes that his arrogance is brilliance-it's not. He also seems to think that his idea of persistence is sexy-it's definitely not. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DollEyes said:

Just when it seemed like I couldn't heart Jack anymore, the vogue-ing started. That was adorable. I think that Kevin & Sophie both used the parties and Kate to meet each other. 

Any scenes with Randall & William together are flawless to me, regardless of motive. 

One more on the HorseAss Hate Train. The last thing Kate needs is another pushy guy in her life. HorseAss seems to think that his pushiness with Kate is charming-it's not. He believes that his arrogance is brilliance-it's not. He also seems to think that his idea of persistence is sexy-it's definitely not. 

What are the odds that Kate gets two pushy guys who want to jump her bones. Couldn't one of them have been easy going and not all in her face pushy?

• Love 5

On joint birthday parties.  My kids were two years and one day apart.  So they would decide "Harry Potter" or "Lord of the Rings" or ...fill in the blank.  And I'd have one theme and two separate parties.  And I'd go ALL OUT.  "Owl Post" invitations, Hogwarts Robes for everyone made out of vinyl table cloth material, or Dart competition to hit the eye of the Orc, Scavenger Hunt to find the One Ring.... etc...  So, the kids were happy with a "big" party where I reused/refreshed the props as appropriate.   

And since there birthdays were the 12th and 13th of February, with Valentines day on the 14th.... we had LOTS OF CAKE.  We generally shifted to nearest weekend. 

• Love 3
On 1/30/2017 at 7:47 PM, kili said:

He may have chosen a theme that appealed to Sophie (do we know if she was the Princess Bride fan or was she drawn to it because it was his theme? I could see the PB appealing to him because it was dramatic and goofy and Kevin is dramatic and goofy), but he doesn't seem machavilian enough for him to have planned to steal all of Kate's party guests away from her all along.  This seems inconsistent with the child who held her hand as she was wheeled off for surgery. I think he just got lucky that Sophie joined his party. He may have even fallen in love with Sophie when she joined his party and gave him her undivided attention. We didn't see him trying to bogart the party guests. We just see them suddenly at his party.

I got the feeling that the kids hadn't invited a lot of people to their parties in the past. All those old videos seemed to be family only. I think part of the reason for the separate parties was because it opened the door to inviting friends. And at 10-years-old I think it isn't necessarily common to invite girls to a boys party. 

• Love 2
On 2017-01-30 at 8:29 PM, birkenstock said:

Kevin and Kate were the ones who wanted the separate parties, Randall didn't care either way until Jack and Rebecca agreed he could have a magician.  Randall thought they were going to be checked for lice when he was called into the room. I think Kate and Kevin each wanted to impress Sophie by having parties that she would want to go to.  Jack and Rebecca questioned why Kevin would have a Princess Bride movie when he was afraid of it and were surprised Kate would want a Madonna themed party (Sophie loved Madonna).  

I wonder if the boys who called Randall Webster were at the party.

Randall doesn't go to the same school Kate and Kevin attend.

6 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Randall doesn't go to the same school Kate and Kevin attend.

He doesn't now, but he DID, so that the bullies at his old school are probably still friends of Kevin's, and were probably at the party. Tho I wouldn't care what the rules were, if some kids bullied my child, they're sure not coming to my house to eat cake.

• Love 7

We have always known that Kate's Jack issues were deep-seated but I think we were shown in this episode just how deep-seated they really are.  While fully acknowledging that everyone grieves differently, I will say that it has been 21 years, going on 22 (IF they were 15 when it happened), and I am hoping that Kate  did finally reach a real break through* (anger?).  I think she has not been able to cope with the loss of what she perceives to be a perfect relationship, and that a relationship with her Dad now is impossible.  And, if you think about it,  impossible relationships are always perfect.  They stay perfect in your mind because they can never happen.  Perhaps, as we are shown that Jack was human, Kate will realize too that Jack wasn't perfect, accept it, come to terms with it and cherish the memories of her amazing Dad and the wonderful relationship they had.  I'd like to see her stay at the camp because we've seen nothing else so far that has helped her. 

Regardless of the status of Jack and Rebecca at the time, I can see Rebecca being stoic around the kids thinking that was the right thing to do, and the kids in turn trying to be strong, ie. keeping it all inside. 

Hmm...maybe that was adult Kate as teenage Kate at the funeral.  Did anyone else notice in this episode a kind of um, collapse of a possible, rather bulky undergarment at various times when Kate was sitting? 

* I acknowledge that for some IRL this takes even longer and that some never do.

I agree with the poster upthread that Duke may be the founder of the program. When Kate said, "I have a fiance," he could have said "We'll see" because he's seen people enter the program -- as with rehab -- bound up in relationships that they come to perceive as unbalanced or toxic, and shut down. (Or, the other person turns out to be more attracted to an addict than to someone in recovery, and bails.) And Duke may have felt he had the right to disconnect Kate's call because his clients are asked to remain disconnected, and his staff's tactful approach had obviously gone unheeded. 

Cabin 13 may be where he works, not where he lives. The "this" that he tells Kate is going to happen between them, may be some form of radical therapy reserved for people ready to break through.

Even if this should turn out to the case, it's a therapeutic variant of the writers' enchantment with that modern twist on classic screwball comedy: a free-spirited, open-hearted man and an uptight, closed-off woman. 

• Love 1
Just now, SlackerInc said:

@jhlipton, in a world where there is such a thing as a "chocolate martini", I'd say all bets are off! LOL

Martinis need something (and lots of it) to make them anywhere near drinkable.  Juniper berries -- are you serious????

Just now, Winston9-DT3 said:

I feel like Kate is introspective, intense and sensitive and Kevin's the gregarious, light-hearted goofball who attracts women everywhere he goes.  Like a golden retriever.  It wouldn't surprise me if we get a line from Kate about this not being the only friend of hers who's jumped ship for Kevin.  

I wonder how many have "switched teams" for him...  LOL

• Love 1

I wonder if Jack died on his birthday: maybe The Big Three's 16th. That would make their birthday in the pilot the 20th anniversary of his death. As I recall, none of The Big Three were too interested in celebrating that day, and each did something self-destructive or risky: Kate ate alone, Kevin "partied" and Randall sought out his other father.

• Love 6
On 2/1/2017 at 2:01 PM, Dreamboat Annie said:

Did anyone else notice in this episode a kind of um, collapse of a possible, rather bulky undergarment at various times when Kate was sitting?

You mean a girdle or Spanx or something?

• Love 1

Or did you mean that Metz has been padded to look bigger (perhaps she's lost weight & padding was done for continuity until the weight loss reveal) and that padding sort of collapsed inward?

• Love 2

OK, I'm a week late and just about everything's been said...

I took the whole HorseDick thing to be that now Kate is all whoa, I've got two guys into me, I've never had that happen before, and it's going to give her pause about moving forward with Toby. I did not get the idea that they were setting Kate up to be so irresistible that men fall all over themselves around her. More the opposite, that she hardly ever gets male attention (she said that Toby saying he loves her was a first, and she's 36) and suddenly now she's getting it. Which, yes she's obese, but I doubt she's never been hit on.
And I'm with all of you who are appalled by HorseDick. The first interaction I was a little hmmm ok he's a bit much, but by the end I was completely grossed out by him. I'm also wondering how this squares with him being an employee of the camp. 
I wish we had seen more of Kate's job. Did she take leave? What's up with that? Her job episode was the only one I really liked of her.
As a parent of twins and a younger one with a birthday close to the twins, I thought Rebecca and Jack were nuts for doing all three parties at the same time. If Randall didn't really want a party, he could have just had his close friends join him for the movies or bowling. That seems like it would have been more his speed. I've never had my twins want separate parties - they are both girls and have a lot of the same friends - but I wouldn't have them at the same time. I have had the younger one and the twins' parties separate, but last year they wanted a combined party again. 

• Love 1
On 2/1/2017 at 6:47 PM, jhlipton said:

Martinis need something (and lots of it) to make them anywhere near drinkable.  Juniper berries -- are you serious????

That's what the olives are for.  But I don't have a problem with people drinking any combination of liquor and mixers they like; I am however sympathetic to the idea that it quickly becomes something else than a martini.  Or in the case of the drink on the show, something else than an egg cream.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:20 AM, possibilities said:

I had a meeting I was supposed to go to and I told him I'd be back in 2 hours to enjoy his company. But when I got back it was too late. I really wish I'd skipped the meeting. It was a moment I can never get back, and I have never gotten over having left him when he was giving me his all and asking for my presence to go out on a high.

I completely get this. Still feeling guilty, 10 years later, about putting our 12-year-old dog with a heart condition (stable on meds, but still) in a kennel so we could go on vacation. Got a call from the kennel while we were at the airport waiting to board the plane home--she had died that morning. Even though I knew it was a good kennel and had a vet who lived on the premises, and even though the purpose of the vacation was to see our daughter in an important performance (she was and is a professional dancer), I still worried that our dog had felt abandoned. 

• Love 3
Just now, SlackerInc said:

That's what the olives are for.  But I don't have a problem with people drinking any combination of liquor and mixers they like; I am however sympathetic to the idea that it quickly becomes something else than a martini.  Or in the case of the drink on the show, something else than an egg cream.

How something with no vermouth (*blergh*) and no gin (*blech*) can be called a "martini" (especially since even vermouth and whiskey isn't a martini!) is puzzlng.  (I've heard that the best martini calls for pouring gin in a glass and looking at a bottle of vermouth, but I wouldn't know...)

• Love 1
On January 31, 2017 at 1:35 PM, ByaNose said:

What are the odds that Kate gets two pushy guys who want to jump her bones. Couldn't one of them have been easy going and not all in her face pushy?

Yeah, I am so not into the Duke character.  Toby is sweet and charming, so his occasional pushiness can be endearing.  Duke is just straight up obnoxious.  I get that they've already done the breakup/makeup, and near-death, and so are rapidly running out of ways to create story lines for Toby and Kate ... but I'm dreading this potential triangle.

Did the writers just decide that the Olivia/Kevin/Sloan sort-of triangle wasn't going to work, throw up their hands, and create Sophie?   I was thrilled Olivia was finally gone, but I was starting to like Sloan ... or at least I wanted to see if Kevin would realize he really did want her, that he didn't just choose her because it was "the right thing to do."   But all of a sudden he's been in love with someone named Sophie since childhood.  Erm, ok.

Randall and William ended up being my favorite part of the episode, even though their great day together is obviously bittersweet.   

• Love 2

I love this show but I do have the feeling they will write anything they want....if that makes sense?!? I almost get the feeling that they wrote and filmed Olivia, Kevin & Sloan and said, "yeah, this ain't working....let's write the ex-wife in". I mean they aren't even done Season 1 yet and they seem to be dumping stories. Of course, with a flash back/flash forward tv show they can do anything they want, right? Right now, everyone is waiting to see how Jack died but he'll never really be dead. They can just keep going back. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE THIS SHOW but I feel kind of maniplated. LOL!!!!!

• Love 4

I agree, they seem to be churning through story much faster than they really have to.  They could slow down and go into the nuances of each relationship or each wrinkle that pops up and be fine, I think.  But it seems like they are very panicky that people might get bored or something.  IDK, I usually watch cable/streaming shows rather than network ones, so maybe it's true in network-world?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I love this show but I do have the feeling they will write anything they want....if that makes sense?!? I almost get the feeling that they wrote and filmed Olivia, Kevin & Sloan and said, "yeah, this ain't working....let's write the ex-wife in". I mean they aren't even done Season 1 yet and they seem to be dumping stories. Of course, with a flash back/flash forward tv show they can do anything they want, right? Right now, everyone is waiting to see how Jack died but he'll never really be dead. They can just keep going back. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE THIS SHOW but I feel kind of maniplated. LOL!

Agreed, shows that use flashbacks can throw in anything they want to.  The hard part is if they go off in too many directions viewers lose interest.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

I agree, they seem to be churning through story much faster than they really have to.  They could slow down and go into the nuances of each relationship or each wrinkle that pops up and be fine, I think.  But it seems like they are very panicky that people might get bored or something.  IDK, I usually watch cable/streaming shows rather than network ones, so maybe it's true in network-world?

NBC and the producers have every reason to worry that people will get bored and tune out.  In the past few years broadcast tv has seen Scandal, Blacklist, and Empire all go from white-hot to ice-cold almost overnight.  

So far at least, this show seems to be avoiding the at least primary reasons those shows faded fast.  

It's also why I was shocked the show was given a two season renewal, especially as it's not an in-house prod.  Ever since ABC's epic disaster with Drew Carey's multi-year renewal years ago, networks have not wanted to renew shows more than one year at a time, and studios are very reluctant to sign actors to more than 2 or 3 seasons after initial 5-7 season contracts run out.  

Edited by Tiger

There was a expression mistake in this ep. 

Jack asks one of the kids a question and he responds with,  "I'm good".  That's an annoying expression used today and only in the last 5 or so years.  Certainly wasn't used last century.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Jordan27 said:

There was a expression mistake in this ep. 

Jack asks one of the kids a question and he responds with,  "I'm good".  That's an annoying expression used today and only in the last 5 or so years.  Certainly wasn't used last century.

According to this it dates back to the 1950s. It's definitely been popular for longer than 5 years.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

According to this it dates back to the 1950s. It's definitely been popular for longer than 5 years.

That's an interesting post, thanks--I love word origin stuff like that.

But while I do remember it being used in that context (of whether someone needs a refill), I also think usage beyond that was relatively unheard of until recently.

12 hours ago, SlackerInc said:

That's an interesting post, thanks--I love word origin stuff like that.

But while I do remember it being used in that context (of whether someone needs a refill), I also think usage beyond that was relatively unheard of until recently.

It's really hard to say. There are regional, cultural and even familial differences in language. When my Dad remarried my step-family all said they put things up, when everyone I knew put them away. They announced they could care less, when everyone I knew couldn't care less. Even today the terms for carbonated soft drinks range from pop to soda to coke to something else. It's really hard to say something wasn't being used used as a colloquialism by some people.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:21 PM, biakbiak said:

You might want to read your own proof.  It is said to have used once in a poker game in the 50's.    Not popular.

I never heard that term used until about 5 or so years ago.  

And I deal with the public a lot. 

On 1/29/2017 at 11:43 PM, RachelKM said:

All of this.  I was 10 in 87 and have no recollection of the theatrical release of the Princess Bride (and I'm a movie nerd, so that says a lot, I remember the theatrical release of Labyrinth and I didn't even get to see it in the theater).  That said, I either saw it on HBO or rented it at home shortly after and thereafter watched it fairly regularly. By the time I was 12, I had it memorized as did several of my friends.  I don't know if 9/10 year olds were doing the same, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I would, however, be very surprised at a 10 year old being fully aware of, much less interested in emulating, the Like a Virgin look in 1990.  As you say, it was too old to be in and too young to be nostalgic.  It takes a while for passé to transition into retro, generally at least a decade.   And even then, 10 year olds are rarely intentionally retro, much less with things from when they were 4 or 5.

The Like a Prayer era would be the primary reference for kids that age, they might be familiar with True Blue. While I also don't think the Like a Prayer/Vogue looks were at all age appropriate and would not be surprised that a parent nixed the idea for a party, I would be stunned if a 10 year old who loved Madonna in 1990 would want a party with the tulle and gloves, more so if her friends would be equally pleased.  

All that said, an adult favoring a hair cut that is out of date, but which she likes, is less distracting to me.

It really bugged me that the girls were dressed as "Like a Virgin" Madonna.  I was 14 in 1990 and I remember thinking that "version" of Madonna was dated! 

And re: The Princess Bride:  I knew nothing of it when it was in the theaters.  The first time I saw it was at school in 7th grade (1989).  Not that long after that I saw it on cable - I asked my dad to tape it, and he was not thrilled to have to watch a "princess" movie. Until he actually watched it and loved it too.  But I don't remember it being that popular by 1990.  I can't say that any of my younger neighbors or cousins had a Princess Bride party. 

On 1/25/2017 at 3:36 PM, TobinAlbers said:

I liked the way the show slickly pushed Kevin out of his love triangle into a whole new storyline and revealed a new facet of his character -that he had married and divorced his childhood sweetheart and was still in love with her and now in addition to his journey towards a 'real' artist he has another journey of winning back his first love or finally getting real closure as he continues to mature and grow and evolve.

I had the opposite reaction. It felt very retcon-ish to me, and I really fear now that the show is going to repeatedly use these tricks. Something as important as a primary character's marriage/divorce should have been revealed to us much earlier. I worry what else the writers will shoehorn into the timeline. Maybe Jack and Rebecca had a fourth kid who died young and magically this topic hasn't come up in any of the scenes we have seen so far.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2017 at 10:38 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Jack is 46 and Rebecca is 40. It's possible but it's not as easy as it would have been earlier. I did like that the show emphatically said there will be no 4th Pearson kid.

No, it's never been said that Kevin ever was married, let alone got divorced. My guess is that Kevin decided to get serious about pursuing an acting career, and that drove a wedge into his high school sweetheart marriage.

The Sloane/Kevin brigade must be pissed.

He cheated on her when they were married.