Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Three Sentences

• Start Topic

Jack and Rebecca get in over their heads when they decide to throw Kate, Kevin and Randall three separate parties for their 10th birthday. Randall struggles to make time for William as things intensify at the office. Kevin makes a major decision in his romantic life. Kate's gastric bypass journey takes an unexpected turn.

Promo:

• Love 1

Something struck me: Kate (and the wardrobe people) know how to dress her.  I was really loving her coat when she arrived at the retreat!

I had to laugh that Jack is the one that wants another kid and Becca is like "Ahahahaha--NO." 

Interesting twist that Kevin 1) had married young and 2) married Kate's friend.  So clearly he wasn't into Sloane and Brit chick (I can't even bother remembering her name, I disliked her that much) as we thought.

What I didn't get though that episode was hyped up as having bigger revelations about Jack's death and all I got was...he died when the kids were teens.  Kate kept the urn.  And her weight is tied to her dad trying to do his best at being a father.  I think?  I'm still confused as to what I was supposed to get out of that. 

• Love 7

So if Kevin and his wife divorced 12 years ago, he got divorced at 24? Which means he had to have gotten married in either his late teens or early twenties. I was NOT expecting that twist.

I love that they showed Jack's memorial and the fact that the kids were still teens or just out of it, yet they still couldn't say the year.

• Love 11

Damn this show and these crazy twists!

While I'll miss Kevin and Sloane together, I get his reasons for choosing someone else.  Anyone other than Olivia.  It's a cute story, meeting the love of his life when he was 10.  I just hope they aren't expecting us to adore Sophie immediately and show more of her personality.  And the odd couple thing with Kevin and Toby was funny.  Lol at Toby's incredulous look when Kevin was dramatically waxing about the women that wanted him.

Something I'm noticing is that the kids are resembling their older counterparts more, not just in appearance.  Little Randall is wising up to how the world works.  Instead of getting upset that he has so few friends at his party, he's happy to have real friends there, not just extra kids around.  But wow, I was so worried that Kevin or Kate would overhear Rebecca saying that she thought Randall was the coolest kid she knew.   

Toby might be grating at times, but Horse Dude was a straight up asshole.  I was hoping Kate would just shove him in a pile of manure and tell him to suck it.  And his whole "Oh, this is gonna happen" mess?  Ugh, seriously, he doesn't need to appear again.  

Randall's promotion (or whatever it was) felt like manufactured drama, tbh.  He let his competitive side get the best of him and it bit him in the ass.  William is so cute, though.  He's rife with Dad humor.

Looks like Jack died when the kids were in their teens.  I admit to pausing the tv so I could try to gauge how old they were.  This show is messing me up.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, Laurie4H said:

Did we know Kevin was divorced?  I can't remember if that was revealed before.

Are Jack and Rebecca already in their 40's when the kids were 10?  It would be hard to have a 4th child at that age.  

Jack is 46 and Rebecca is 40. It's possible but it's not as easy as it would have been earlier. I did like that the show emphatically said there will be no 4th Pearson kid.

No, it's never been said that Kevin ever was married, let alone got divorced. My guess is that Kevin decided to get serious about pursuing an acting career, and that drove a wedge into his high school sweetheart marriage.

The Sloane/Kevin brigade must be pissed.

• Love 6

I love this show..but I think I need to watch it some other time..NCIS was so riveting and tense that to watch a show about relationships right after it seemed a let-down. Still, all the Randall stuff was great...and I may be an idiot but I swear I thought the blonde chick was Olivia..not his ex-wife...

I do think they are laying on the Super-Dad Jack thing a bit thick...and I think the Madonna party was Sophie's idea....she seemed to be one of those girls that says "I'll be your friend if you do everything I want"...and I can see why Kevin and Sophie clicked....their personalities and self-absorption seem similar...

I love the idea of having a Princess Bride party...I wonder if Kevin knew any other lines besides the one he kept spouting...

• Love 9

When Kate had flashbacks of her life, they showed her memory at the pool and the mean note from her former friends. Sophie was one of those mean girls. Kevin don't fall in love with the mean girl that hurt/use your sister.

• Love 18
16 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Jack is 46 and Rebecca is 40. It's possible but it's not as easy as it would have been earlier. I did like that the show emphatically said there will be no 4th Pearson kid.

I thought Jack and Rebecca were in their late 30s, at the oldest. 

7 minutes ago, nilyank said:

When Kate had flashbacks of her life, they showed her memory at the pool and the mean note from her former friends. Sophie was one of those mean girls.

Aw, really?  I didn't realize Sophie had been one of the mean girls.  Definitely makes her being besties with Kate more suspicious. :(

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 8

Excellent episode.  

Randall - I thought it was funny how competitive he was.  It's not a positive, it's an obsession.  I was glad he gave William the afternoon.  I was sorry that Randall kept making "hurry it up" comments.  I'm not sure if William was blind to those comments or was teaching Randall a lesson (work is less important than people).
Little Randall - They sure cast well.  And I could see his adult personality.  I was so glad to see the Big Three party at the end.

Kate - I'm so glad she's staying there.  Yes, it's new-age-y and she wasn't into that, but she had a real breakthrough. The gastric bypass doctor knew what she was doing.  THIS is the prep work Kate needs before surgery.  If she even has surgery.
Little Kate - BROKE MY HEART. 10 seems young to me for girls to be into boys but maybe my kids were just late bloomers.  I'm upset that she doesn't seem to have the close friends like Randall.

Kevin - I loved his scenes with Toby. Toby was hilarious with his "are we even the same species?"  I loved that he was able to follow Toby's instructions and ALSO have a break-through.  I think what Kevin realized was that what he wanted was an authentic love and Sophie was it for him.
Little Kevin -You are so sneaky.  And yet so sincere about Sophie.  I like that the writers are picking up on how kids can be single-minded.  And it's clear he's already developing into the "center of attention" actor.

Rebecca & Jack - OUCH on saying they raised A great little person.  NO. You raised THREE.  Still, I get that Randall is exceptional in terms of maturity.  I also enjoyed the baby/puppy debate.

Jack's funeral - They are definitely teens IMO.  I'll have to watch again in slo-mo but they look like teens to me.  I was bothered that Jack had scruffy face in his picture.  But I DO think it was sudden.  

SOOOOO much emotional therapy with this show.

• Love 7

Run away, Kate, run away!  That horse guy is creepy!

36 minutes ago, OptimisticCynic said:

They give Kate the worst love interests. I'm so over these aggressive guys. It would be nice if she met a sweet supportive guy who didn't make everything about him or a huge public display. I'm going to hate this love triangle so much. 

Agreed!

I had to look up when "Vogue" was released, because I thought it seemed out of place with the gloves and the tulle.  It was in 1990, about 5 years earlier than I guessed.  

• Love 6

I am one of the few Toby non-haters. I really liked his scenes with Kevin. And ouch when Toby heard what the horse guy says. I hope Kate doesn't make a mistake just because she feels wanted by 2 guys.

The funeral was heart wrenching. I dread when that episode really happens. I don't want to see William or Jack die.

I loved the end, when the 3 kids continued the party tradition.

Kevin married Sophie....shockingly my husband picked up on it before me. I wont judge her for her actions as a 10 year old. Hopefully she will be nice. She was dressed like she worked in the medical profession.

• Love 14

Yeah, I can't wait for the men in Kate's life to get into a dick-measuring contest.

Thing is: Daddy's girls tend to be attracted to someone like...Dad.  Jack is a Big Personality, but I never caught the "dick" vibe from his early scenes.  Am I missing something?

Horrible personal flashbacks of my own with Kate's memories of Jack's funeral.  Honey, I've made that noise too.  It's an eruption of all that's wretched inside you, because you know he's not coming back.

• Love 20

jack is way too much of a gary stu, it annoying rather then endearing his perfection, also that horse guy sucks, wouldn't surprise me if he does something with the horses on the side

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I thought Jack and Rebecca were in their late 30s, at the oldest. 

Aw, really?  I didn't realize Sophie had been one of the mean girls.  Definitely makes her being besties with Kate more suspicious. :(

Jack was born in 1944, and the kids were born on his 36th birthday. Kate was about 30 when the triplets were born.  So with them being 10 years old, Jack and Kate would be 46 and 40, respectively.

I had to look up when "Vogue" was released, because I thought it seemed out of place with the gloves and the tulle.  It was in 1990, about 5 years earlier than I guessed.  

That bugged the hell out of me. If you're going to have these kids be Madonna fans, at the very least dress them at least close to how Madonna looked in 1989 or 1990.

Honestly, I kind of wished Kate and the girls had been Paula Abdul fans. This show really doesn't seem to get that the late 80's/early 90's aren't the same as the early/mid-1980's.

• Love 21

Jack & Rebecca were troopers to take on 3 different parties with all those kids all alone with no extra backup.

So Kevin married Kate's childhood BFF and they divorced? WOW. Didn't see that one coming. I enjoyed his time with Toby and that Toby pushed him to find the one.

:( Jack's dying and the funeral. 

I loved Randall being happy with quality of friends and not quantity.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

That bugged the hell out of me. If you're going to have these kids be Madonna fans, at the very least dress them at least close to how Madonna looked in 1989 or 1990.

Honestly, I kind of wished Kate and the girls had been Paula Abdul fans. This show really doesn't seem to get that the late 80's/early 90's aren't the same as the early/mid-1980's.

Whereas The Princess Bride can not be confined to one era, it is a timeless story!

I was surprised that the parents agreed to three parties, or could it be that was the normal size for one party for three kids?

• Love 5

The party seemed normal sized to me for three kids.

My little beans have very close birthdays. One year I did a combined party with 25 boys. Choas. The next year we did seperate parties in the same weekend. Choas. I've now got them on rotating years if the older bean doesn't take the bribe offer of money no party. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ShortyMac said:

What I took from that was that when Jack died, Kate lost someone who accepted her and and loved her no matter what, always cheering her on. She was clearly a daddy's girl. From what we've seen, Rebecca made Kate's weight an issue, while Jack didn't.  

But didn't we already know that?  I saw big "SPOILER ALERT!" posts all over the internet before I had a chance to watch (via DVR), so I expected some kind of huge revelation.  I think it's always been made clear that Kate has struggled since an early age, that Jack was a great, loving, & supportive Dad, and that his death was very hard on her.   

I loved William and Randall.  I was a little afraid that their afternoon was going to end with William's death (because I was waiting for something big to happen.)  I'm glad we get to keep him a little while longer. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

Ferg was so, so, so not Ferg here.   I've never seen him in anything other than Longmire so I was quite pleased to see him do something different.  But, yeah, he doesn't have me rooting for him here.  And quite frankly he doesn't have me rooting harder for Toby, either.  I like Toby but if he's Kate's first serious relationship they are moving REALLY fast.

Hehe, my thoughts exactly. This character was the exact opposite of his Longmire role. But seriously, Kate needs some time alone. (I do think if Adam Bartley looked more like Justin Hartley, people might not be so quick to say what a jerk he was. I mean he totally WAS a jerk, but I did think this kind of negging pickup scam is something super hot guys do all the time and get away with.)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

What I didn't get though that episode was hyped up as having bigger revelations about Jack's death and all I got was...he died when the kids were teens.  Kate kept the urn.  And her weight is tied to her dad trying to do his best at being a father.  I think?  I'm still confused as to what I was supposed to get out of that. 

I'm with you.

Where was Yvette? Are her sons and Randall no longer friends? 

I am all about Young Kate. I know I shouldn't judge Sophie at age 10 but unless the show shows Sophie and Young Kate continual besties during the teen years, I ain't gonna like her.

This episode grabbed me so hard. I also found the general ease between Rebecca and Jack so endearing. I liked how they talked through things.

• Love 9

I always found Bartley very endearing as Ferg, and sort of cute with the stubble. This is making me like him more than the writing of Stableboy as stalkery jerk should do. Also, if men (albeit chubby ones) always found Kate so sexily irresistible. I doubt she'd hate her weight and herself as much as she does. Although her adult life seems to repeat her childhood: trouble with mean girls but an easy rapport with men.

• Love 7

Just when I tell myself that I'm over Jack, he starts Vogueing!

RE:  Kevin and Sophie; these hoes ain't loyal.  If she is indeed the little rat face monster that wrote that note at the pool, I'm done with him.  I need to rewatch but I THINK rat face spelled her name with as Sofie, while Sophie the user spelled her name with a PH. I don't even like Kate but that made me more angry than the funeral. 

I'm glad that Randall spent the day with William.  He's obviously in his final days and those are more important than Calgary/Alberta.

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 9

Initial thoughts:

1 - Words can't describe how relieved I am that it wasn't Olivia who answered the door.

2 - As much as I hated the Kevin/Sloane/Olivia triangle, I am dreading the Kate/Toby/Horse Guy triangle even more.

I did really enjoy this episode, although I do wish that they could find a way to have more modern day Big 3 scenes.  It just seems like there is this one show going on with Kate and Kevin and all that surrounds them, and then this other show with Randall.  And, I get it, the whole thing with William is a big deal and I think they are are doing that well.  But I do think the cohesiveness of the show suffers when they show so little of the 3 as adults together.

The acting was really spot-on, especially with Chrissy Metz.  I've always thought she was good, but she seemed excellent tonight.  I was surprised when Toby didn't go with her to fat camp.  Not that I wanted him to or thought that he should, but it just seemed that it would have been in his character to do so.  I still am not quite buying the whole Kumbaya vibe and I really, really didn't like the Horse Guy (er, the self-proclaimed Dick).  I'm almost thinking that they brought him in to make Toby look better (probably not, but my inner conspiracy theorist is working overtime).

Jack and Rebecca..oh my, I think they are insane with the birthday parties.  I can barely stand to throw one party for each of my kids, 4 months apart--but 3 on the same day?  That's crazy.  Although, the idea of a Princess Bride party was adorable--and very Kevin.  

I also get where Jack was coming from with the baby.  I think he realized at the end that he didn't want another baby, he wanted his kids to be babies again and I totally get that.  I'm just glad that he finally did.

It looks like Jack dies while the Big 3 are still fairly young, maybe still in High School.  It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

2 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Was Sophie really Kates friend or just trying to get to Kevin?  

Wasn't Sophie one of the girls from the Pool episode who rejected Kate?

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Laurie4H said:

Did we know Kevin was divorced?  I can't remember if that was revealed before.

Are Jack and Rebecca already in their 40's when the kids were 10?  It would be hard to have a 4th child at that age.  

I don't think it was ever mentioned that Kevin had been married...

Rebecca would have been 40 at the time (Jack 46, but--let's face it--he's a guy).  That certainly isn't too old to have a child and I know many, many women who have had children after 40.  Yes, the risks of some complications are higher, but still not HIGH.  I think the bigger thing that they would have to worry about, and Rebecca did mention this, is the likelihood of a multiple birth increases as a woman ages.  Since she had triplets when she was 30, my guess is that have twins (or more) at 40 would be a real concern.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The Sloane/Kevin brigade must be pissed.

I'm not pissed.  I would have been throwing things at the TV if he had chosen Olivia, but this twist is interesting enough for me.  I do hope that we continue to see Sloane, even if she never ends up as Kevin's love interest.  She's an interesting character.

• Love 13

I guess I should have known that Rebecca and Jack weren't gonna have another kid,  since we have already seen them when the kids are older and no 4th kid in sight. But I did think that Rebecca would suggest adopting a 4th kid, to avoid any potential twins. 

• Love 4

I loved almost the entire episode. I hate the love triangle and don't want to see it. 

I found Toby very likeable this week. He was funny and genuinely supportive of Kevin and Kate.

The funeral made me cry. As did Kate during the drumming. I felt her pain.

I did see Kevin picking someone other than Sloane/Olivia but didn't see it being Kate's best friend. Sophie was one of the girl's names on the note at the pool.

• Love 13