Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E12: The Holiday Summation

"The Holiday Summation" - Sheldon and Amy visit Leonard and Penny for the first time since the holidays and share details about their terrible trip to Texas, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Jan. 5 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Laurie Metcalf returns as Sheldon's mother, Mary.

• Love 1

I don't know what made me laugh more: the earring sequence or Sheldon with his underwear pulled over his head and in flippers.

I love Mary, but I don't blame Sheldon for getting offended. It's bad enough when other people dismiss you as weird, but when it's your own parents it really stings.

• Love 7

I about busted a gut laughing. I'm really liking the whole Penny-and-Leonard as Greek chorus thing. And how Leonard wants Amy's magic juice. I though the Christmas tree storyline was a nice little wink (I thought) to Johnny's role in Christmas Vacation when he was a kid.

And I like how Howard is clearly pulling his parental weight.  And that if Raj and Stuart are going to hang around and stick their noses in, they might as well have been put to work. 

• Love 12

Fun episode.  I'm hoping that it will be a regular thing not to show the baby.  (Since it sounds like Howard's mom, why not let her be unseen like she was--except for that quick glimpse we got that one time?)

Amy:  'What about the woman who just buttered your big flat feet!?'  

• Love 10

I hated it.  The characters didn't interact.  They delivered one liners and smirked at each other.  If I took a drink every time someone raised their eyebrows, I'd be dead on the floor from alcohol poisoning.

I love Mary but where was Mee Maw?  And Sheldon's sister, nephew and brother?  The nephew would be toddler age, why no interaction?

I did like Sheldon asking Bernadette if he could enquire after the baby without being obligated to touch it.

• Love 5

Have the group separate for an episode may have worked to the shows benefit.  Of course the episode wasn't perfect and at this point anyone who has watched more then a couple episodes will find a whole bunch wrong but that is true for any long running comedy. It's possibly that the show just couldnt get Sheldon sister for another episode so they could either recast or pretend she is "out of town".   Honestly I am not sure what to make of his mother so I will just let it go as part of Sheldons growth as a person.

The rest of it did work for me.  I thought Leonard and Penny's increasingly bad Christmas was hilarious.  And I thought Howard and Bernadette's story was sweet and I like how she figured it out in the end.  Falling asleep in the baby's crib was clever.  "I think I live here now,"

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

I just kept wondering why exactly did they have to do this episodes as the characters telling the stories afterward rather than just doing the show and showing the stories, switching between them? 

I know its after Christmas, so technically, sure you could complain "Why are they doing a Christmas episode in January?", but sitcoms rarely do the Christmas episodes on Christmas, its before or after.

So again, why didn't they just make the episode the stories that were told rather than doing it as a recap told by the characters?

Just bugs me

And the whole thing with Raj and Stuart seemingly living with Bernadette and Howard with the new baby is just weird. 

Still seem to have very little for Penny and Leonard to actually do. 

it had its moments.  The writers get some laughs still but the overall writing on this show still seems lacking to me. 

• Love 3

This episode had me belly laughing about four times, which hasn't happened in several (three?  four?) seasons. Interactions among Amy, Sheldon , and his Mom were the most entertaining. I wish they'd continue to play off and sharpen a competition between Amy and his mother re: handling Sheldon and his odd behavior and beliefs. Leonard used to be the go-to for clever advice on handling Sheldon, but Amy has now superseded him.  Amy mentioned her mother, and I'd like to see some interaction between Amy's family and Sheldon.

The new Wolowitz parents were predictably harried and sleepless, but both were touching in their coping efforts. Of course Raj and Stewart have become temporarily reduced to nannies and porters for all the baby paraphernalia. I was expecting the baby to be dressed in some kind of comic book hero onesie...?

Edited by P3pp3rb1rd
  • Love 2

I liked it. Sheldon's earring screams were my favourite parts, I think, but Penny & Leonard's story had some nice stuff too.

I enjoyed the pretend to be sleeping at Stuart's voice bit. It seemed to be done with affection, and I bet it made Stuart feel included.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I though the Christmas tree storyline was a nice little wink (I thought) to Johnny's role in Christmas Vacation when he was a kid.

That didn't even occur to me, so thanks @anna0852!  

One little cute thing I've always enjoyed is that they put Penny in some new kind of headgear every Christmas episode. Don't know why that makes me smile, but it does. 

If they ever fix that elevator, I wonder what else building management will find stuffed in the shaft?

• Love 2

Honestly I liked each of them telling the others what they did on their vacations.  It's what you do when you have friends you spend the majority of your time with and the reactions of your friends is kinda the reason you do it.  Plus it was funny watching everyone react to each other's storiees.

And make snide comments like friends will do.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 15

Forgot to mention that I loved seeing each of the homes decorated for the holidays.  Pennie and Leonard were putting away their decorations, but Mary's home was choc-a-block full of decorations, many looked homemade, or good old traditional family decorations she's put out every year for decades (my home is the same way).  Howard and Bernadette had a menorah and a "Noel" sign and elegant golden trees.  Plus their couch had a pillow with holiday looking trees and a single star.  Their decorations were more modern and sparse enough to be realistic for a couple busy enough with a new baby.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

If they ever fix that elevator, I wonder what else building management will find stuffed in the shaft?

I've had this theory for a long time that the series will end with the elevator being repaired. So maybe we'll get a chance to find out what else is down there!

• Love 3

I always wonder in a "If this were the real world why don't they just..." kinda way why Raj - who is Richie-Rich-rich, doesn't just hire the Rostenkowski-Wolowitzes  a baby nurse for the first 3 or 4 months?

But that wouldn't be "funny" would it? I didn't hate it. Sad when that's the best you can say about a show you used to adore...I liked the most that Sheldon got so angrily offended when his mom called him and Amy and their relationship weird. That was thoughtless and cruel for Mrs. C to say and I'm glad Sheldon didn't just let it pass.

3 hours ago, P3pp3rb1rd said:

Leonard used to be the go-to for clever advice on handling Sheldon, but Amy has now superseded him. 

SUPERCEDED!!!!!

(had to!)

• Love 7

I always wonder in a "If this were the real world why don't they just..." kinda way why Raj - who is Richie-Rich-rich, doesn't just hire the Rostenkowski-Wolowitzes  a baby nurse for the first 3 or 4 months?

Yeah but don't his parents dole out his money? It's not "his" money so much as it is "family" money.

3 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

One little cute thing I've always enjoyed is that they put Penny in some new kind of headgear every Christmas episode. Don't know why that makes me smile, but it does. 

I never noticed that - but you're right. Thanks for pointing it out!

I thought it was a fun episode. Had to laugh at Penny's line: 'No, what's stupid is a physicist who doesn't understand when you swing an axe, you don't let go.'

And Howard and Bernadette's last scene with her in the crib was surprisingly touching.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Well for that matter Howard and Bernadette aren't exactly short of money.  They could afford to hire help if they wanted to.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah but don't his parents dole out his money? It's not "his" money so much as it is "family" money.

I think Raj's ability to spend whatever he wanted ended when he went overboard on the deaf girl. But, unless his parents have compared notes, he should still be getting a generous allowance from each.

• Love 1

If anyone hired someone to care for the Wolowitz baby then Stuart and Raj would have absolutely NOTHING to do. It's sad that this is the only plotline that is being found for them.

Edited by kat165
  • Love 3

My favourite parts were the Leonard and Penny scenes with the Christmas tree. I never laughed so hard, especially when the tree started moving and chittering and Leonard said he hoped it killed them both, heh.

• Love 10

I enjoyed this episode more than the past few episodes, although I still think it is a far cry from some of the better eps.  The two things that sucked me in were Amy's grin the first time the magic juice came up and the whole bit with Howard and Bernadette, especially when Howard found Bernadette in the crib.   

Now that I've said it, though, I have to admit that the Howard and Bernadette part--which I did like--is part of the problem with the show.  They are now just so far removed from what the show is/was that it is rather disconcerting.  So, while I liked Howard and Bernadette's story, it was like watching a different show.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, wendyg said:

hnygirl: Actually, "supersede" is the correct spelling.

OP was quoting a past episode (the one where Priya was acting as Leonard's attorney during a disagreement with Sheldon over the terms of the roommate agreement), not quibbling over spelling.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ae2 said:

I've had this theory for a long time that the series will end with the elevator being repaired. So maybe we'll get a chance to find out what else is down there!

My money is  that it will get fixed and their first ride they get stuck.

It was ok not sure why Penny and Leonard didn't talk to Howard and Bernadette that whole time though.   And saw the falling asleep on Stuart a mile away.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

My favourite parts were the Leonard and Penny scenes with the Christmas tree. I never laughed so hard, especially when the tree started moving and chittering and Leonard said he hoped it killed them both, heh.

10 hours ago, AuntieL said:

"Leonard, there's something on the windshield" might just be one of my favorite lines Ever. 

I laughed so hard at both these moments!  I really liked the whole show but definitely the Christmas tree sequence was hilarious and the whole storyline with Bernadette and the baby was touching and very real.  It should also put to rest any lingering concerns that Bernadette doesn't love her baby and isn't prepared to be the primary caregiver!

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

Did they mention the name of the baby?

If not, then maybe this is going to be like Penny's maiden name, and we never find out.

They told the name when she was born Halley like Halley's comet.

Edited by marymon
On 1/5/2017 at 5:52 PM, anna0852 said:

I though the Christmas tree storyline was a nice little wink (I thought) to Johnny's role in Christmas Vacation when he was a kid.

I was waiting for him to mention that the tree had a lot of sap...

• Love 4
On 1/6/2017 at 6:36 AM, icemiser69 said:

Sheldon's mother wasn't going to have a problem with her son living with a woman.  Her judgement of others ended when Sheldon, during an unannounced visit, caught her having sex with a dude.

In my experience, hypocrisy does not necessarily stop judgey Christians from bible-yelling, so there was no reason to assume because she sinned and he caught her that she'd be chill about him sinning. And I'm using the term because Mary has in previous eps.

• Love 3
On 1/7/2017 at 11:56 AM, marymon said:

They told the name when she was born Halley like Halley's comet.

I named a dog Halley as in Halley's comet once because he was born when Halley's comet was visible.  Yep, I'm a geek.  And old too.

On 1/6/2017 at 10:26 PM, AuntieL said:

"Leonard, there's something on the windshield" might just be one of my favorite lines Ever. 

I split my sides.  Actually all through that scene I was waiting to see the tree fall off the car through the rear view mirror behind them!

On 1/6/2017 at 2:13 PM, snarkylady said:

Howard referring to Raj and Stuarts as "Poppins" and "Doubtfire" amused me.

Yeah, me too.  It's dysfunctional and sad but still funny.  And more true to life than one might think.  A friend of my husband's once rented a room with us and ended up our cleaning person/Mr. Fixit/Lawn maintenance person in exchange for rent.   We appreciated the help!  His dynamic was a lot like Stuart's in some ways.  Although our friend eventually grew up at age 40, left the house, got married and had a family.   I'm sure that although their presence annoys them, both Howard and Bernadette appreciate the help.  I hope the show makes both guys grow up like our friend did.  It's still possible, show!

I know it's probably just me, but I got a vaguely Little Ricky/I Love Lucy vibe from Bernadette in this episode.  I can swear that some of her stuff is coming straight from there.  I'll have to go back and watch some of that show when Little Ricky was born.

I loved the way Mary's house was decorated for Christmas.  Very dated and typical of 30 years ago, but as tastefully done as possible, much as one would expect from her.  I felt like I was in my in-laws house back in the '80s!

Speaking of parents, why don't we ever meet Amy's parents?  I think we've met at least one of every other main character's parents so far.  I don't even remember the show ever mentioning them.  Very strange.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Speaking of parents, why don't we ever meet Amy's parents?  I think we've met at least one of every other main character's parents so far.  I don't even remember the show ever mentioning them.  Very strange.

I can't remember her father ever being mentioned but her mother was several times: She insisted on Amy having one date per year (that's why Amy agreed to meet Sheldon), she told Amy that nice girls eat bananas horizontally, would not allow her to watch 'Grease' - there was more slightly abusive stuff but I've forgotten about it. Sheldon and Amy also skyped with her once but I can't remember if we got to see her or not.

• Love 1

We see her at least once when they skype her in an early Amy episode where Sheldon thinks she wants to be in a relationship but all she wants to do is get family off her back about having a boyfriend.  The writers seems a bit conflicted about Amy's mother.  On the one hand the only reason Amy meets Sheldon at all is because her mother wants her to date and to presumably get married one day but on the other hand everything we're told about Amy's upbringing seems to indicate her mother has one hell of a weird hang up about anything remotely to do with sex.

I don't know if we've been told at this point whether Amy's mother knows she's living with Sheldon but I'm assuming she does.  Either she's fine with it or the writers haven't figured out what they want to have happen because it seems weird that they have never said that Amy got sent to her room for living with a guy!

On 1/6/2017 at 10:58 PM, OtterMommy said:

Now that I've said it, though, I have to admit that the Howard and Bernadette part--which I did like--is part of the problem with the show.  They are now just so far removed from what the show is/was that it is rather disconcerting.  So, while I liked Howard and Bernadette's story, it was like watching a different show.

It has been like that since the pregnancy storyline.  It was like Howard and Bernadette had their own adventure / show with the occasional visits from Raj and Stewart.  On the other side, there was a Sheldon & Amy show with Penny and Leonard as recurring guests.

On 1/9/2017 at 7:35 AM, Snarklepuss said:

I know it's probably just me, but I got a vaguely Little Ricky/I Love Lucy vibe from Bernadette in this episode. 

Now that you mentioned it, wasn't there an episode where Lucy could not stop little Ricky from crying and ended up crying too?

• Love 1

Her being in the crib with the baby was cute but also typical of how out of touch the writers are - most women I know who are breastfeeding are also co-sleeping at least for the first few months.  Co-sleeping doesn't have to mean having the baby in bed with you, a lot of the time there are little bassinet type things (probably have a real name here) that can attach to your bed.  Or they use a bassinet or cradle or whatever and keep the baby in the room with them.  I know very few young parents come to think of it who have baby in the crib in another room.

• Love 4

But shows have to change at some point.  As much as four guys of a nerd persuasion hanging out  who come in contact with a hot girl  is a fun comedy there is only so long you can believably write that before you tread on old stories.  Raj not being able to talk to women was a funny bit but eventually he had to talk to Penny.  One of them (other then Leonard and Penny) had to have a relationship that lasted more then an episode.  Yes the show looks a lot different then it did during the first season but people grow and shows eventually have to to or they end.  What BBT has to learn to do better is connect the storylines or at least give the outliers like Stuart and Raj more to do.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

But shows have to change at some point.  As much as four guys of a nerd persuasion hanging out  who come in contact with a hot girl  is a fun comedy there is only so long you can believably write that before you tread on old stories.  Raj not being able to talk to women was a funny bit but eventually he had to talk to Penny.  One of them (other then Leonard and Penny) had to have a relationship that lasted more then an episode.  Yes the show looks a lot different then it did during the first season but people grow and shows eventually have to to or they end.  What BBT has to learn to do better is connect the storylines or at least give the outliers like Stuart and Raj more to do.

I agree that shows change and that's natural.  But all shows (er, nearly all shows...) change to a point where they have gone so far from the original intent of the show that it is time to call it quits.  I think that TBBT is there, or maybe even past that.  Heck, Friends ran for 2 years after its natural death...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I agree that shows change and that's natural.  But all shows (er, nearly all shows...) change to a point where they have gone so far from the original intent of the show that it is time to call it quits.

If the new premise of the show is viable, why can't it keep going even though it's different from the original? It will lose some viewers, but pick up others.

• Love 6

The show started out as 4 nerds plus a pretty girl. But now it's about Sheldon, Leonard, Penny, Amy, Raj, Howard, and Bernadette. People who love the show love the characters and characters must grow to be real.

• Love 7

The show has taken some wild swings and misses.  I don't like it when they write Penny as a moronic moron who morons.  Just like I don't like it when they make Sheldon to much of an asshat.  Or when they write any of the characters as too creepy. it used to be just Howard but lately Raj and Stewart have jumped the creepy mark.  

When the show is funny it is really really funny but it can be just as awe inspiring awkward.   However I do like that for the most part the characters have been allowed to grow as people.  It's usual for a comedy.   

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I don't like it when they write Penny as a moronic moron who morons.

I feel they've scaled this back now and thank god for that.  The lowest point for this was the episode where the "gals' and Raj are making jewelry and she can't even use glue.  It was all I could do not to shout at the screen that this was the girl who made "Penny Blossoms" was perfectly capable of putting together her IKEA bookcase and was in junior rodeo and could hogtie and castrate Sheldon in 60 seconds if given the chance!

• Love 13