Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S01.E10: Chidi's Choice

Recommended Posts


A heads-up: At some point in the run-up to the show's return, Comcast On Demand has put up "extended cut" versions of many of the first nine episodes including scenes that didn't make the cut in the original 22-minute-or-so broadcast versions. Just discovered this while rewatching what came before this upcoming episode.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

An interview with Mike Schur hinted that anyone who was familiar with his previous shows would see a familiar face as Shawn (if we all remember who Shawn is!), can I go ahead an predict Rainn Wilson?

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/2/2017 at 8:38 PM, Big Mother said:

May I say that of all shows returning in january this one excites me the most? Can't wait!

has the show been renewed yet? Do we know?

Not renewed but they have been given the go ahead by the studio to start working on the next season.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Really enjoyed this one. If they only had Chidi reacting to Janet's wedding, that would be enough.

Edited by J0nas3
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Oh fork was this a good episode! I laughed so hard at one point I started coughing. This thing was winging through outerspace at a dangerous rate. (Edit: Well except for Chidi's decision making that is!) It's amazing how well written it is with all the 'variables' we encountered tonight. Awesome.

Was there anything after they cut to Jason and Janet's first dance? My tivo cut off there even though I had two minute pad.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Just when you think you know where the show is going.....

Funny as can be....I was especially tickled (I am old) by the 'female bonding' .  Just yikes.

Eagerly waiting for more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm so happy this show is back. And I'm crushing on Eleanor and Tahani's friendship. The two of them sitting and drinking at Jason and Janet's wedding, just do that every week and I'll be happy.

Edited by mammaM
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

We laughed so hard tonight. 

Janet: Overruled. 

Chidi: Or is that pandering?!

Digital Get Down had me dying. Chidi's friend. The air conditioner unit that Chidi hit then falling out the window.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

"Digital Get Down."  Now, that's a song I haven't heard in a very, very long time.

Jason may be.... well, Jason, but I actually agree with his ranking of the Fast & the Furious movies at least!

Wasn't sure if I was going to like the idea of a love triangle (rectangle?), but I loved how they had Eleanor and Tahani actually bond even more, after briefly going into typical smack-talking territory.  I really like how they have turned what could have been a typical antagonistic relationship and make them feel like an actual friendship, even when they are cracking jokes at each other's expense.  And sight gags will never get old for me.

"You filibustered recess!"  All of the flashbacks to Chidi and his history of indecisiveness were perfect.  And we got to see how he died too, which was a nice bit.  Everyone here seems to have died in the most random ways possible.

Jason and Janet tie the knot.  That's something I would have never predicted.

Not much of Michael in this one, but his frustration over Chidi losing his mind over using a dry erase board or pen and paper was hilarious!

"Real Eleanor" continues to be a fun addition.

Curious to see what Tahani's idea will be to help Eleanor.  Really can't wait to see the trial and who this Shawn/Sean will be.  And hopefully we'll see the return of Trevor!

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

To think when this show first aired I was on the fence, now I love it! 

Jason and Janet dancing, priceless! I love bonehead Jones.

Chidi's reaction to them saying Jason's wedding, got me every time!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, AuntTora said:

"I'm just a girl...towering over a boy." I larfed.

Obviously, Tahani is a fan of Notting Hill. Not surprisingly. 

1 hour ago, thuganomics85 said:

"You filibustered recess!"  All of the flashbacks to Chidi and his history of indecisiveness were perfect.  And we got to see how he died too, which was a nice bit.  Everyone here seems to have died in the most random ways possible.

Right. Eleanor stuck to shopping carts and got hit by a truck as Real Eleanor tried to save her. 

Why can't they just call the "Fake" Eleanor, Ellie or something other than "Fake" Eleanor?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So funny! Glad they won't be drawing out a love triangle. That worried me. Loved Eleanor and Tahani bonding. Especially watching the British show and wedding. Loved Chidi's repeated "what?"

Of course Chidi would have problems with decision-making. I loved Michael's growing impatience with him.

We saw how Chidi died! Yikes! In front of his friend to! Now we only have Tahani and, maybe, Jason left and we will know how every main player got to the Good Place. I think the video of Jason on the weather report being told to take shelter from the hurricane might be foreshadowing that is how he died.

if Shawn is someone from another Shur project, might I suggest Nick Offerman, aka Ron Swanson?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

That episode was hilarious. I kept coughing because I was laughing so hard (...Or I was coughing because i have been coughing all day, and the laughter made more coughs) :P

Share this post


Link to post

God Damn, I love this show!  I'm so glad it's back.  

Chidi and his chronic analysis-paralysis was hilarious.  And I could watch Eleanor and Tahani watching Jason's wedding on repeat forever. 

Hopefully the next episode will have more Michael and I cannot wait to see the trial. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

if Shawn is someone from another Shur project, might I suggest Nick Offerman, aka Ron Swanson?

I love that idea! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Chidi's indecisiveness had me rolling. The way he took off after the server shouting his order change and the fact that each of his best man speeches were at least 55 minutes long were the best moments.

I was glad Eleanor mentioned that the hair extensions she was using were cheap because that;s the first thing I thought when I saw them!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

So funny! Glad they won't be drawing out a love triangle. That worried me. Loved Eleanor and Tahani bonding. Especially watching the British show and wedding. Loved Chidi's repeated "what?"

Of course Chidi would have problems with decision-making. I loved Michael's growing impatience with him.

We saw how Chidi died! Yikes! In front of his friend to! Now we only have Tahani and, maybe, Jason left and we will know how every main player got to the Good Place. I think the video of Jason on the weather report being told to take shelter from the hurricane might be foreshadowing that is how he died.

if Shawn is someone from another Shur project, might I suggest Nick Offerman, aka Ron Swanson?

Please tptb, Nick Offerman as Shawn would be amazing. And Nick has been sporting that rather godlike beard lately, it would be perfect. Perfect!!!!

Edited by mammaM

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, AuntTora said:

"I'm just a girl...towering over a boy." I larfed.

Just loved it. More episodes please!

I did too, something about the delivery just made me giggle.

This episode was a delight. I'm so glad this show is back.

This show is charming without being twee and the jokes don't hit you over the head, but definitely make you laugh. And I just love the cast and the characters they play.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Loved this episode!  The Chidi flashbacks were awesome, and it just cracked me up that he went from having three ladies as potential soulmates to none at the end, as they all dashed off.  This show cracks me up...I think it has found its stride and hope it gets renewed. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

"It was on the BBC for 16 years.  They did nearly 20 episodes."  

Actually it was "nearly 30" but yeah, that part had me laughing as hard as the mock Britcom they showed. What was it called? Margaret and Deidre?

I think the "logic" behind taking these shows off the air for a whole month is seriously flawed. I know the network thinks nobody is watching TV during the holidays because they're too busy entertaining and/or traveling, but there's such a dearth of good TV on in December that keeping a show like this on the air would probably help it find more viewers. People are looking for something that isn't a holiday special or a rerun and might try out a show like this that they otherwise would have missed.

The fact that they aired nine out of thirteen episodes last fall and have only four more to air isn't helping either. Even I forgot some of what was going on when last we left.

"I love you Janet!" "OK!"

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

 

I think the "logic" behind taking these shows off the air for a whole month is seriously flawed. I know the network thinks nobody is watching TV during the holidays because they're too busy entertaining and/or traveling, but there's such a dearth of good TV on in December that keeping a show like this on the air would probably help it find more viewers. People are looking for something that isn't a holiday special or a rerun and might try out a show like this that they otherwise would have missed.

They must have been showing it in reruns recently, because that's how Mr. Mstar and I got so into the show. We happened to turn NBC midway through episode 9 last week, the part where Michael and Tahani are entertaining The Bad Place visitors and real/fake Eleanor, Chidi, and Trevor are out to dinner. We couldn't figure out what was going on, but we were so hooked on finding out the back story that we immediately binged watched all the previous episodes on demand (which were apparently extended cuts of the original airs). 

I really love this show. Having just binged all the episodes, I didn't think this one was as funny as other episodes. I really enjoyed the whole exchange between fake Eleanor and Tahani during Jason and Janet's wedding. I found Chidi's indecisiveness to be really annoying (I guess I'm with Michael there) and I didn't care for seeing how he died. I would have been okay with seeing the AC falling, and then cutting away from the scene before it hit him. We still would have gotten the point, and it wouldn't have looked so fake. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, mammaM said:

Please tptb, Nick Offerman as Shawn would be amazing.

It would indeed take The Powerful Time-travel Bandits (?) inasmuch as the series was filmed last summer/fall. Though if any series can defeat the space-time continuum, it would be The Good Place.

Share this post


Link to post

I am such a Cheers fan, I keep hoping for a Sam and Diane vibe from Fake Eleanor and Chidi, but I think they don't want to go down that road.

Share this post


Link to post

Not enough Michael in this episode, but his growing exasperation with Chidi was hilarious. His delivery on "Retroactively?!" was so good. As were Eleanor and Tahani's objections during during Jason and Janet's wedding. 

I was prepared to be a little cranky that everyone was wasting time while fake Eleanor's future hangs in the balance, but everything ended up being so delightful that I didn't care. If Eleanor just end up damned for eternity, I'm sure she would have wanted to see that wedding before she goes. 

Also, I adored Bambadjan. Can we keep him around, please? 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rinaldo said:

It would indeed take The Powerful Time-travel Bandits (?) inasmuch as the series was filmed last summer/fall. Though if any series can defeat the space-time continuum, it would be The Good Place.

tptb = the powers that be. And I forgot the whole season was already filmed. But I like your guess

Share this post


Link to post

How could they not renew this? I can't believe there are only a few episodes left, and I don't want to wait for September to see more.

There were so many times this episode, and throughout the season, that I thought they were introducing a plot point there was no way I would ever be able to watch, and then they surprised me and made it into something I loved watching. So awesome.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

This show! I forgot how delightful and random this show is! I cant even decide on my favorite scene/line, but I really love that the love triangle seemed to be destroyed in about five minutes! That was just great. 

The Britcom we saw was amazing, and they made almost 20 episodes in 30 years! I will never stop laughing at jokes about the length of seasons at the BBC. 

I am officially shipping Jason and Janet. If its wrong, than damn it I dont want to be right! Also, wow, Digital Get Down. In the words of Obi Wan Kenobe, now there is a name I have not head in a long time...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/3/2017 at 5:07 PM, wilnil said:

A heads-up: At some point in the run-up to the show's return, Comcast On Demand has put up "extended cut" versions of many of the first nine episodes including scenes that didn't make the cut in the original 22-minute-or-so broadcast versions. Just discovered this while rewatching what came before this upcoming episode.

Also, you can go to the NBC website and they have them too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

How could they not renew this?

Ratings. It got a 1.0 in the 18-49 demo last night with 3.55 million total viewers last night. That's coming after Superstore which by comparison scored a 1.2/4.46. Not good.

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Ratings. It got a 1.0 in the 18-49 demo last night with 3.55 million total viewers last night. That's coming after Superstore which by comparison scored a 1.2/4.46. Not good.

I didn't even know it was on. Found it channel surfing, missed the first minute or two. Did the network promote it at all?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

They've been given the go-ahead to work on new episodes, which is pretty promising. Tv by the Numbers classifies it as "likely to return." I'm not worried. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

22 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Why can't they just call the "Fake" Eleanor, Ellie or something other than "Fake" Eleanor?

"Fake Eleanor" is funnier (or at least Kristen Bell's expression when they say it is funnier). 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Anybody else starting to wonder if Eleanor and Tahani are soulmates?

I actually think the hints were fairly heavy for that (perhaps heavy enough though, that it's deliberately misleading).

Really the whole idea that soulmates are alike, which the show claimed at the beginning, would kind of be challenged by them being soulmates though (which is a good thing).

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Really the whole idea that soulmates are alike, which the show claimed at the beginning, would kind of be challenged by them being soulmates though

I don't think they're as different as they've been portrayed. We know that even though Tahani grew up in a wealthy family, she was overlooked in favor of her older sister & didn't really have any love or support. In this episode Eleanor mentioned something about having to look older to get a job at 14. We haven't really gotten any background on Eleanor, just her as an adult. I bet we're going to find out she was emotionally (at least) on her own too & that she and Tahani both grew up thinking they were less & just chose different ways to deal with it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/5/2017 at 9:59 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Jason and Janet dancing to *NSYNC's Digital Get Down had me in stitches. That pairing is genius. 

I was triggered by that song like some kind of robot who was only programmed to know one beat.  I was like (Robot Voice) "I know this song.  This is a song that I know."

But the "human" part of me had no recollection of what the song was actually called; I just had the faintest memory.  I love how you guys actually know the name of it.

At least I knew At Last by Etta James.  What a great, romantic episode.  I love this show.  LOL.  I like Chidi even more now and I already was a Jason stan, so yeah I'm good.

Bombajohn?  What's his deal?  I know nothing about what he does or who he is?  Someone fill me in?

23 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Obviously, Tahani is a fan of Notting Hill. Not surprisingly. 

LOL, well if true, I think it would be incredibly surprising.  She doesn't know of or like anything mainstream.  And she thought Ariana Grande was a relative of Jason's.  I mean, that BBC show? 

The show is so smart.  And I can't believe it addressed REAL, ACTUAL earlier concerns we had, like 1) Is Eleanor in love with Chidi?  2) Would she actually confront him about it?   3) Is Tahani Chidi's soulmate?  and 4) Are Jason and  Janet in love?  It's ridiculous. 

The whole soulmate theme on the show makes me look at love in a different, less shallow way.  If I was placed somewhere and somebody provided me with my supposed soulmate, the show implies you'd pretty much fall in love with that person and looks become irrelevant.  It's kind of beautiful.  Once Tahani thought that Chidi was her soulmate she became possessive of him.  And Chidi is the kind of person Fake Eleanor would have never befriended in real life, but she fell for him anyway. It's interesting.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, mstar1125 said:

I found Chidi's indecisiveness to be really annoying (I guess I'm with Michael there) and I didn't care for seeing how he died. I would have been okay with seeing the AC falling, and then cutting away from the scene before it hit him. We still would have gotten the point, and it wouldn't have looked so fake. 

If it had looked more real, I think my heart would have broken.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

When does Jason's status get addressed, I wonder? Is there a real Jianyu in The Bad Place, and how did he get switched with Jason, and does that mean Trevor is coming back for another round of negotiations? Will Janet fight to keep Jason in The Good Place? Will Michael fight for Jason like he's fighting for Eleanor? I would think there would be a different story than just repeating the way things have gone down with Eleanor being discovered, but I don't know what I think it should be. I did think it was interesting that Tahani didn't even seem to think of turning Jason in, even though she was very angry.

I loved how they disposed of the love rectangle, but it does mean we still have not seen Chidi ever make a decision.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Bombajohn?  What's his deal?  I know nothing about what he does or who he is?  Someone fill me in?

Bambadjan. We only saw him very briefly at Tahani's party in the first episode when Eleanor is trying to establish how much better all the other people in "The Good Place" than she is. He was a human rights attorney in North Korea and Saudi Arabia. It's not even close obviously. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size