Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I believe Joy is due 5/23, but she seems to think she'll go early. Her doctor's appointment this week should likely give us an induction date.

If they're going to induce her anyway, they may do it about a week early.  That's a pretty common way to go.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Is Joy's due date 6/1? And Katie's 6/2? Or is my head making that up?

Me: Katie's due AGAIN?! How can that be -- she just had a baby a few months ago! 

Also me: Oh, KatEY Duggar. Oh, that makes sense. 

Damn fundies need some name variety. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 12
2 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Me: Katie's due AGAIN?! How can that be -- she just had a baby a few months ago! 

Also me: Oh, KatEY Duggar. Oh, that makes sense. 

Damn fundies need some name variety. 

Thank you, I’m not the only one. 🤗

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
15 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

I was like Katie Bates? Nope. Lol

They both need to name their kids Julie. Jim Blob would remember his 2 grandchildren named Julie Michelle lol.

Well, Joy is having a yet to be named boy, and KatEY's girl is Nora Kate. No Julie for JB. Will he ever get one? I figured Jed! as the best bet, being the suckup son.

• LOL 4
(edited)

Naming your kid after someone you had a crush on when you were a teenager is creepy, but naming your kid after someone your dad had a crush on when he was a teenager is even creepier. As dysfunctional and weird as the Duggars can be, I have a hard time seeing any of the kids willing to poke that hornet's nest. Though once upon a time I'd also have ruled out any of them naming their kid anything remotely resembling Ashley Madison. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 9
  • LOL 12
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

Naming your kid after someone you had a crush on when you were a teenager is creepy, but naming your kid after someone your dad had a crush on when he was a teenager is even creepier. As dysfunctional and weird as the Duggars can be, I have a hard time seeing any of the kids willing to poke that hornet's nest. Though once upon a time I'd also have ruled out any of them naming their kid anything remotely resembling Ashley Madison. 

I forgot that Julie was an old crush. However, being creepy has never stopped these people before. So many of them are still so enmeshed well into adulthood.

• Like 9
  • LOL 3

Its so odd there are so many female J names, including Julie, they didn't use. Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Jordyn have distinct names but Jana, Joy Anna, Johannah, Jennifer and Josie all seem to be variations of each other or other Duggar kid names.

Jessica was a popular name during that time. Justine, Jacqueline, Judy, Jody, Jane, Jean, Joan, Joyce, etc. And what about Jamie? How did they not end up with Jamie for a girl? Or Jeanette after Michelle's middle name Annette? 

• Like 6
8 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Maybe the trendier names with no thought to other family members started when they started letting the older girls come up with names for new babies?  Am I misremembering that?

I believe they all submitted names and kept voting until one won. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Its so odd there are so many female J names, including Julie, they didn't use. Jill, Jessa, Jinger and Jordyn have distinct names but Jana, Joy Anna, Johannah, Jennifer and Josie all seem to be variations of each other or other Duggar kid names.

Jessica was a popular name during that time. Justine, Jacqueline, Judy, Jody, Jane, Jean, Joan, Joyce, etc. And what about Jamie? How did they not end up with Jamie for a girl? Or Jeanette after Michelle's middle name Annette? 

I mean, Jessica would be very similar to Jessa, Justine is one letter off from Justin, and Jamie is a derivative of James (and I wonder if it didn't make the Duggar cut because it's too unisex?). While (as you noted), the Duggars have some egregiously similar names already, I'm glad they didn't opt for even more. The same goes for boys' names, too, though-- they have Joseph/ Josiah and Jeremiah/ Jedidiah, while avoiding some very normal J names that would have been more unique to their family (Jacob, Jude/ Judah (I know that was almost Jackson's name), Jared, Jasper, Jeffrey, etc.).

I also think it's noteworthy that none of the Duggar kids so far have had a J-named offspring. I think they're all J'ed out. Interesting to see if anyone ever does. (I know Joy has mentioned naming the new baby after Austin's grandfather in some way, and his name was James, but she could stick it in the middle, or use his middle name, or whatever.)

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

No baby news on the latest vlog. Just a promise to update. It's hard to tell when she filmed. It was just games and going to work with Austin. 

Here it is, if anyone's interested:

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They showed this with Jordyn. That's how she got two middle names. 

Actually, she has two first names and one middle. Jordyn-Grace Makiya. 

37 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Poor Giddy. He needs an allergist stat.

I wonder if they would follow any advise from an allergist.  I had a (well-educated) friend who took her son to a very good allergist due to breathing issues.  He told her that her son needed to be away from dust as much as possible, and to remove the carpet from his bedroom.  She was horrified, and told everyone who would listen how awful the doctor was.  Besides, removing carpet and replacing flooring was just too "expensive".  Never mind her kid was having trouble breathing.  So the kid continued to suffer, and she kept her money.  I can see Joy not understanding directions from a doctor.  She grew up ok, so her mind her son will be fine.  Poor Giddy.

• Sad 22
58 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I wonder if they would follow any advise from an allergist.  I had a (well-educated) friend who took her son to a very good allergist due to breathing issues.  He told her that her son needed to be away from dust as much as possible, and to remove the carpet from his bedroom.  She was horrified, and told everyone who would listen how awful the doctor was.  Besides, removing carpet and replacing flooring was just too "expensive".  Never mind her kid was having trouble breathing.  So the kid continued to suffer, and she kept her money.  I can see Joy not understanding directions from a doctor.  She grew up ok, so her mind her son will be fine.  Poor Giddy.

Well they did take the carpet out. Was it for allergies or potty training accidents? Maybe poor Giddy is allergic to something he would need shots for and we know that isn't happening. 

• Like 3

From what Joy said in a past video, it appears Giddy has seasonal allergies. At the very least they should be keeping the windows shut and planning his outdoor activities, in addition to allergy meds. It certainly looks like he'd be a candidate for allergy shots.

• Sad 2

Pollen is really bad right now here and will stay that way well into the fall. I also have terrible seasonal allergies, and I have to do a combo of 2 daily OTC medicines year-round and periodic steroid injections this time of year. They won't be able to avoid the pollen entirely, but they definitely could actively try to treat the poor little guy's symptoms. 

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

Pollen is really bad right now here and will stay that way well into the fall. I also have terrible seasonal allergies, and I have to do a combo of 2 daily OTC medicines year-round and periodic steroid injections this time of year. They won't be able to avoid the pollen entirely, but they definitely could actively try to treat the poor little guy's symptoms. 

Maybe she should buy a good quality air purifier and keep him inside. Maybe try homeschooling him for more than 10 minutes. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Maybe she should buy a good quality air purifier and keep him inside.

Just speaking as someone who has to deal with this, just staying inside is not a solution if you don't want to feel like a prisoner. I'm a couch potato by nature, but that still starts to feel like punishment after a while. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Just speaking as someone who has to deal with this, just staying inside is not a solution if you don't want to feel like a prisoner. I'm a couch potato by nature, but that still starts to feel like punishment after a while. 

Would using artificial tears frequently help?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Would using artificial tears frequently help?

It might for some people. My symptoms personally tend to be much more throat/nose related. The medications I take help a lot, but I still have lingering issues. Actually when COVID first hit here, it was right at the beginning of allergy season, and honestly, it created a lot of confusion at first because people were like "I feel like I always do--is this just allergies or COVID?" 

The seasonal allergies here affect a lot of people, and that's why I find the advice to just stay inside silly. Nobody would get anything done if they just stayed inside from March to October. 

Gideon doesn't seem to be the only Duggar with untreated allergies. Ben seems to have them pretty bad too, but I don't get the impression he does anything for them. 

• Like 5

Supposedly, if you eat raw honey that was made by bees in your area, it can help seasonal allergies.  I don't know if that's been confirmed, but I've heard that over the years.  I don't have allergies so I never followed up on it.

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Supposedly, if you eat raw honey that was made by bees in your area, it can help seasonal allergies.  I don't know if that's been confirmed, but I've heard that over the years.  I don't have allergies so I never followed up on it.

I think it's still mostly in the "anecdotal" file, but we have a few hives, and my son-in-law, who has all sorts of allergies (and they live about 15 minutes away from us) swears by our honey, as does the woman who helps my mom. It certainly doesn't appear to hurt.

By the way, that screen cap of "nostrils" actually looks, to me, very much like Joy. Yeah, he has Austin's most striking feature, but everything else about his little face - his eyes, his mouth, his cheeks and even his expression just goes right back to Joy 

• Like 7

Joy could have Giddy play outside early evening when pollen counts are lower, or all day after a good rain. Limit playing outside in the morning, on windy days and when Austin is doing yard work. Also they should not let any dirty clothes in the bedroom or in the bed. And of course Joy should be dusting and vacuuming frequently, including the couches.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Joy could have Giddy play outside early evening when pollen counts are lower, or all day after a good rain. Limit playing outside in the morning, on windy days and when Austin is doing yard work. Also they should not let any dirty clothes in the bedroom or in the bed. And of course Joy should be dusting and vacuuming frequently, including the couches.

@GeeGolly aren't you funny!  Making jokes like that!  Actually it makes good sense but, you know, the Duggars - they do things a little bit different.  And who cares if a child is suffering.  Sweet Son had terrible allergies and he suffered when he was a child.  But, the shots worked for him and we did what we needed to do in the house.

• Like 16
  • Sad 1
On 5/13/2023 at 12:44 AM, GeeGolly said:

From what Joy said in a past video, it appears Giddy has seasonal allergies. At the very least they should be keeping the windows shut and planning his outdoor activities, in addition to allergy meds. It certainly looks like he'd be a candidate for allergy shots.

and I can tell you - in the south allergies are BAD this year....due to all the rain we have had...like really really BAD....

• Like 10
18 hours ago, Zella said:

It might for some people. My symptoms personally tend to be much more throat/nose related. The medications I take help a lot, but I still have lingering issues. Actually when COVID first hit here, it was right at the beginning of allergy season, and honestly, it created a lot of confusion at first because people were like "I feel like I always do--is this just allergies or COVID?" 

The seasonal allergies here affect a lot of people, and that's why I find the advice to just stay inside silly. Nobody would get anything done if they just stayed inside from March to October. 

Gideon doesn't seem to be the only Duggar with untreated allergies. Ben seems to have them pretty bad too, but I don't get the impression he does anything for them. 

a good regime...neti pot rinse at night..and then this little (alkolol) rinsing thing..(you can look on amazon)...its blue, you put it up to your nose in the shower and it runs from the nose to the back of the throat and then you spit it out...I find this to enhance and even surpass the neti pot...and a good eye wash...eyebright tincture with a washing cup is good......oh and take some homeopathic stuff for your region..and mmmm throw in some bee propolis so you dont' get an infection...but for kids...they make this gel you can rub inside the nose that traps the pollen....the things you do when you live in the ohio valley and deal with allergies!!!

• Useful 4

I always thought Joy sounded congested and was probably dealing with allergies in the original series. She probably figures that she survived without any treatment, so Giddy can too.😥

• Like 4
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 1
On 5/12/2023 at 9:44 PM, GeeGolly said:

Poor Giddy. He needs an allergist stat.

He most certainly does.  I’ve taken weekly allergy shots since I was a child, and I’m 100% sure that Giddy is miserable.

• Like 6
  • Sad 5
7 hours ago, zoomama said:

i actually like ezra james and levi jameson. those are normal names and will sound acceptable in society.

They'd be an improvement on quite a few of this family's baby names. 

• Like 3
On 5/5/2023 at 7:21 PM, Gemma Violet said:

She said she's at 37 weeks, so it won't be much longer.

I posted the above on May 5 as per Joy's video that week.  Today is 14 days later, so she's at 39 weeks now.

• Useful 7