Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Joy said she will homeschool for 30 minutes a day. I don’t think she will take him to speech therapy or any other therapy or help for that matter. 

As long as he can be like daddy all is good.

This is beyond sad. Our brains are the most receptive to interventions when we're young. At some point Joy and Austin are going to have a very disappointing epiphany when they realize Giddy has paid the price for their negligence.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This is beyond sad. Our brains are the most receptive to interventions when we're young. At some point Joy and Austin are going to have a very disappointing epiphany when they realize Giddy has paid the price for their negligence.

I doubt it will even register with those two. They are a very good match, but seem to share one firing neuron. Of anyone dares mention Gideon’s speech delay they will say he says things a little differently.

BTW, I thought Gideon was celebrating his fourth birthday and was telling SBaba about his obvious speech difficulties. I was stunned that he’s actually five years old.

Both our kids had speech therapy and had processing issues (One bio, one adopted, I was sure it was my fault). As another poster said, help is available and free through the school district. Joy could have also received the services free from the speech therapist who did Gideon’s evaluation in exchange for the publicity. But consistency and commitment are foreign concepts to these people. It’s sad because Gideon’s speech is more delayed than either of my two babies at the same age and we were really worried about them. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 18

Speaking from experience, I'm sure Joy and Austin can understand what Gideon is saying.  My daughter definitely needed and benefitted from speech therapy, but I could always figure out what she was trying to say.  I had to work as a "translator" between her and new acquaintances though.  Gideon probably isn't exposed to many strangers so Joy and Austin probably aren't aware how much help he needs.   Not that I'm defending them, but I can see how it might not be as obvious to them as others.

• Like 8
  • Useful 3
4 minutes ago, anyasmom said:

Not that I'm defending them, but I can see how it might not be as obvious to them as others.

I completely understand a parent understanding what the kid says. The problem is Gideon was evaluated by a professional with actual credentials. They are aware Gideon is delayed and are sitting on their asses when they could be making sure their child gets the help he needs. Typical fundie parenting. 

• Like 13
  • Sad 4

It's really sad that these kids will never reach their potential just because their parents can't be bothered to actually parent.  Most parents WANT their children to have a better life than them.  These fundies are all about repressing these kids and dooming them to a mediocre life at best.

• Like 10
  • Sad 6
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, anyasmom said:

Speaking from experience, I'm sure Joy and Austin can understand what Gideon is saying.  My daughter definitely needed and benefitted from speech therapy, but I could always figure out what she was trying to say.  I had to work as a "translator" between her and new acquaintances though.  Gideon probably isn't exposed to many strangers so Joy and Austin probably aren't aware how much help he needs.   Not that I'm defending them, but I can see how it might not be as obvious to them as others.

A friend of mine's middle son had speech delays and she said the same about being able to understand him and translating.  The speech therapist worked with her and her son to change that dynamic because he would rely on his mom doing the translating for him. 

In Joy's case, she did post a video of Gideon being evaluated and what the speech therapist told her (at least some of it).  There was definitely reference to consistency by the therapist which went in one ear and out the other for Joy.  Poor kid really needs more than what he is getting.

• Like 6
  • Sad 6
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Meow Mix said:

A friend of mine's middle son had speech delays and she said the same about being able to understand him and translating.  The speech therapist worked with her and her son to change that dynamic because he would rely on his mom doing the translating for him. 

In Joy's case, she did post a video of Gideon being evaluated and what the speech therapist told her (at least some of it).  There was definitely reference to consistency by the therapist which went in one ear and out the other for Joy.  Poor kid really needs more than what he is getting.

My nephew went to a speech therapist when he was 3 or 4.  The first thing the therapist did was to tell my sister not to respond when his speech was not clear and to never 'translate' for others except in emergencies; that he'd become complacent about improving his speech because she was doing all the work for him.  His speech got remarkably better in just a few weeks after she stopped running interference for him.

I think Joy, as is the Duggar way, is taking the easy way out with Gideon's speech delay.  It's just easier to ignore it and wait for him to figure it out than to actually work with him on improving.  This is a situation where exposure to other kids in preschool or kindergarten would do wonders in helping him improve.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 17

I can definitely see how some kids would get complacent about trying to improve their speech.  And maybe Gideon would fall into that category, especially since he's probably not meeting lots of people who can't understand him.  My daughter was so frustrated when she couldn't be understood that she would eventually cry.  It broke my heart as a parent, and I really had to be an advocate to get her speech therapy.  I was told things like "It's not that bad.  It's just a few consonants.  She will outgrow it."  Umm no.  She's frustrated.  I can't picture Joy and Austin pushing to get Gideon therapy.  If they were told some of the things I heard, they would just agree because that's easier than sticking with a therapy schedule.

• Like 7
49 minutes ago, Notabug said:

This is a situation where exposure to other kids in preschool or kindergarten would do wonders in helping him improve.

Heck, expose him as much as possible to Gracie. That little girl’s speech is so clear. Throw in Henry while you’re at it. 

• Like 9
6 hours ago, Notabug said:

My nephew went to a speech therapist when he was 3 or 4.  The first thing the therapist did was to tell my sister not to respond when his speech was not clear and to never 'translate' for others except in emergencies; that he'd become complacent about improving his speech because she was doing all the work for him.  His speech got remarkably better in just a few weeks after she stopped running interference for him.

I was told the same thing from sons speech therapist and aide. It was hard for me to not help him, but the more he spoke the better he became. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
(edited)

This sort of thing really frustrates me! My next-to-youngest sister was born with a cleft palate as well as developmental delays. We could usually understand her and, when we couldn’t, my youngest sister (only 16 months younger) could. But when we were around other people, the difficulties were more clear. She had extensive speech therapy and while she’s obviously not typical in her speech, she’s not hard to understand and is able to communicate well. Early intervention is so important. It baffles me how/why some parents won’t do whatever they can to help their children reach their full potential.

Edited by AgathaC
  • Like 14
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 4

I don't think these parents understand the concept of "potential".  The parents get attention for having a baby.  Nothing is expected from said child as far as education or career.  They just need to learn to instantly obey and quote scripture.  They are not to have any curiosity about anything.  The boys will have some kind of job working for a relative.  The girls will marry and have babies. "What do you want to be when you grow up?" is not a question they are ever asked because there are no choices.  So clear speech or being able to control one's behavior in an age-appropriate manner just doesn't matter.  So why should the parents take the time for "school" or speech therapy?  And so the cycle continues.

• Like 2
  • Sad 17
1 minute ago, CalicoKitty said:

I don't think these parents understand the concept of "potential".  The parents get attention for having a baby.  Nothing is expected from said child as far as education or career.  They just need to learn to instantly obey and quote scripture.  They are not to have any curiosity about anything.  The boys will have some kind of job working for a relative.  The girls will marry and have babies. "What do you want to be when you grow up?" is not a question they are ever asked because there are no choices.  So clear speech or being able to control one's behavior in an age-appropriate manner just doesn't matter.  So why should the parents take the time for "school" or speech therapy?  And so the cycle continues.

All true except Austin has a job ("career") - or is he dependent on a relative?  He must be able to read, use math, understand a contract, etc?  Or not?  Their house still seems to be standing, hasn't fallen down, burnt down, plumbing works, etc.  I remember he had a problem with permits a while back.  Maybe he figured that out.  Very confusing how they live.  Not my style either.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

All true except Austin has a job ("career") - or is he dependent on a relative?  He must be able to read, use math, understand a contract, etc?  Or not?  Their house still seems to be standing, hasn't fallen down, burnt down, plumbing works, etc.  I remember he had a problem with permits a while back.  Maybe he figured that out.  Very confusing how they live.  Not my style either.

I'm not sure if Austin works with family or not.  I will not be surprised if Giddy ends up working for him, however.  Hopefully he will learn basic math and be able to read forms and receipts.  I don't know how well Joy can read or what math skills she has.  Giddy probably won't learn more than she knows, especially in the 30 minutes a day she says she "has school".

• Sad 11
8 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I'm not sure if Austin works with family or not.  I will not be surprised if Giddy ends up working for him, however.  Hopefully he will learn basic math and be able to read forms and receipts.  I don't know how well Joy can read or what math skills she has.  Giddy probably won't learn more than she knows, especially in the 30 minutes a day she says she "has school".

I think it was Joy who said she didn’t take algebra because she didn’t have any use for it after graduating. Just as well since I don’t think there was anyone at the TTH capable of teaching the subject. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Well, if poor giddy remains so undereducated Austin may finally get frustrated 10 years down the road.  Or not.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
53 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Joy seems very focused on exploiting the family on SM and YouTube, which makes me wonder how desperate they are for money. Austin seems to have a lot of free time. I assume they will one day take over the “family camp” from his awful dad, so yeah. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5
2 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I hope Joy schedules a C-Section for this delivery. Looks like another big baby. 

She's being watched for gestational diabetes. I think she likely had it with Giddy, being a 10 lb baby, but she didn't seek real medical care during that pregnancy. 

• Sad 4
4 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I hope Joy schedules a C-Section for this delivery. Looks like another big baby. 

Isn't she going to a "real" doctor?  I guess they will help determine what kind of birth and when?

• Like 6

Jill has had all three as c-sections.  Evie was a VBAC.  Not sure what the doctors will recommend with the latest for Joy since the baby is measuring large and she already failed the at home glucose test.  

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I thought Evelyn was a VBAC?

Yes, Evelyn was a VBAC and Joy seemed to do pretty well with the labor.  Looking at a pregnant woman is no way to determine the size of the child.  Joy is somewhat short and short-waisted; she will always look bigger than most at the end of a pregnancy, she doesn't have anywhere for her belly to go but out.  An experienced practitioner laying hands on her can predict the baby's size about as well as an ultrasound; both have a 10-15% range of error.

I presume she will try to deliver vaginally and her doctor will monitor her labor carefully and be ready to change plans if she has any difficulty.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 9

Between the c-sections, a lost pregnancy, large babies and another failed glusose test, if I were these two I would seriously consider a smaller family. Nothing wrong with 3 children with a healthy/living mother.

• Like 18
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

When she was in labor the last time, Joy said she was done and she wanted to adopt.

Take it from me, nearly everybody says that at a certain point in labor.  The ones that don't say it are thinking it.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 12
  • LOL 7
17 hours ago, floridamom said:

Between the c-sections, a lost pregnancy, large babies and another failed glusose test, if I were these two I would seriously consider a smaller family. Nothing wrong with 3 children with a healthy/living mother.

Exactly. I wonder, since she is actually seeing an actual Dr, if said Dr won't suggest that at some point. 

• Like 4
On 3/12/2023 at 12:19 PM, Notabug said:

Yes, Evelyn was a VBAC and Joy seemed to do pretty well with the labor.  Looking at a pregnant woman is no way to determine the size of the child.  Joy is somewhat short and short-waisted; she will always look bigger than most at the end of a pregnancy, she doesn't have anywhere for her belly to go but out.  An experienced practitioner laying hands on her can predict the baby's size about as well as an ultrasound; both have a 10-15% range of error.

I presume she will try to deliver vaginally and her doctor will monitor her labor carefully and be ready to change plans if she has any difficulty.

My daughter is just a hair taller than 5'4", and very short waisted as well. She carried her first child (daughter) quite small for most of the pregnancy, and popped out at the very end. She went about a week and a half past her due date, and went into labor the morning they were going to induce her. Baby turned out to be about eight and a half pounds. Her second pregnancy, she carried all out in front from the beginning, and they were projecting a really large baby. Around seven months, they started talking about C-sections because they thought the baby was already upwards of eight pounds, but as her due date got closer, the estimated size kept getting smaller. She went into labor a day before her due date, and the baby (boy) was just a hair under seven and a half pounds.

I guess sometimes it's just hard to say.

• Like 7
On 3/17/2023 at 6:13 PM, Gemma Violet said:

Here it is:

Did she use that AI people are using on photos to make herself look like a plastic robot? Yikes!

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 7
On 3/18/2023 at 1:13 AM, Gemma Violet said:

Here it is:

I like that she acknowledges that Austin doesn’t like doing YouTube videos, and basically does it to make her happy. 

Of course she’s homeschooling her kids ( Did someone really ask that?) 

They have a list of names and will decide when the baby’s born what to call him.

Also she wears pants now because there’s nothing in the bible against women wearing pants, I’m shocked I tell you 😜 

Someone asked if she missed the TV show she says she doesn’t miss the show but she does miss the camera crew, it was best for her family and she says she kinda wished it ended sooner, so I guess she had enough of being filmed after awhile. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
19 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

Posters on Reddit are saying Joy has shown the faces of Jinger’s girls in this video, even after commenting on camera that she’s not supposed to show them.

Dumb twunt. Apparently she couldn’t be bothered to edit them out before sharing with millions of strangers. 🤦‍♀️

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

Posters on Reddit are saying Joy has shown the faces of Jinger’s girls in this video, even after commenting on camera that she’s not supposed to show them.

I only saw Jinger’s youngest for maybe 2 seconds, and she had a paci in her mouth, so I’m sure I wouldn’t recognize her if I saw her again.

• Like 7
6 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I only saw Jinger’s youngest for maybe 2 seconds, and she had a paci in her mouth, so I’m sure I wouldn’t recognize her if I saw her again.

But why not simply edit that out?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

But why not simply edit that out?

Yes, the issue is the lack of respect to the parents wishes. Typical Duggar laziness, and disregard for others.

• Like 10