Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

There was speculation Jessa was going to use Gabriel, and then after her sister in law leaked it, they went with Spurgeon. I think whatever claim she had to the name in the family has well since past and it should be considered up for grabs. Gabriel is a lot nicer name than Gunner for sure. 

• Like 15
  • Love 1

Even if they like the name they should have spelled it the traditional way. Surely the meanings are strong enough if that's what they are trying to convey.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gunnar is a male first name of Nordic origin (Gunnarr in Old Norse[1]). The name Gunnar means fighter, soldier, and attacker, but mostly is referred to by the Viking saying which means Brave and Bold warrior (gunnr "war" and arr "warrior").

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Even if they like the name they should have spelled it the traditional 

With how these people spell, they probably think they did spell it right. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 15

11 minutes ago, Madtown said:

With how these people spell, they probably think they did spell it right. 

Spelling names in a weird way is unfortunately all the rage now, i.e. Brytnee instead of Britney, Cloee instead of Chloe, and so on.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
51 minutes ago, Madtown said:

He looks a little more like Joy to me. Doesn’t have the Forsyth nostrils yet.

IMG_9925.jpeg

I think he looks like Jim Bob. He has JB's hundred-yard stare down pat.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

He’s not the first Gunner I’ve known.   I don’t think that name is as unusual in regional areas of the US as some might think.  It’s not a name I would ever choose, but I’m not horrified by it.   He’s got a normal middle name if he chooses to use that later 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

One of the Sister Wives has a son named Gabriel. No Duggars have used that name. 

That might be it. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until there's a Garrett Duggar, too. 

Gunnar seems to be what fundies consider a manly, patriot name if they haven't gone the strictly biblical name route.

Jill's severely paralyzed sister Amy has an older boy named Gunnar.

We went to see the grandkids play little league last week and at one point pitchers for both teams were named Gunnar. Both dad's were wearing american flag/2nd amendment message shirts.  🙄

• Like 2
  • Sad 6
  • Useful 2
47 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

He’s not the first Gunner I’ve known.   I don’t think that name is as unusual in regional areas of the US as some might think.  It’s not a name I would ever choose, but I’m not horrified by it.   He’s got a normal middle name if he chooses to use that later 

This seems to be a popular name around here.  The lady who works at the vet office named her new son Gunnar.  Personally, I have not seen it spelled with an "e", but it is not that odd of a name.  Growing up in a Scandinavian community, I knew several Gunnars (and Lars, and Erik and Herbert)

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
33 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Gunnar seems to be what fundies consider a manly, patriot name if they haven't gone the strictly biblical name route.

Jill's severely paralyzed sister Amy has an older boy named Gunnar.

We went to see the grandkids play little league last week and at one point pitchers for both teams were named Gunnar. Both dad's were wearing american flag/2nd amendment message shirts.  🙄

They didn't even spell it correctly.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I don't dislike the name Gunnar. Its sounds nice and its not Brax or Dax, etc. I just think now is not the time to be naming a kid with a name in anyway related to bullet shooting weapons.

Archer is a fine name, but we can do without Beretta, Gauge, Colt or Magnum and certainly AR15, and Gunner.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

One of the Nelson twins (the 50's teen idol Ricky Nelson) is named Gunnar.  I'm not sure how they spelled it.  

Too bad if he ends up looking like JB.  His other grandad is no looker, either.

Ricky Nelson's son is Gunnar.  I believe his wife at the time, Kristen, was of Scandinavian descent and it was a family name.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2

Scandinavian people I know pronounce more like a cross between  "Gooner" and Guhnner.  There is also Gunther (I have known several).  There have been many times at the hospital  that I wanted to tell parents that they were spelling the baby's name wrong, which I'm sure they didn't mean to do, but we were not allowed to.  Robbertt is one I remember.  The parents were from Southeast Asia and wanted their son to have an American name.  At least they tried.  Joy has no excuse, except that she has very little education.  If you are going to use a trendy name you should probably know how to spell it.

• Like 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I don't dislike the name Gunnar. Its sounds nice and its not Brax or Dax, etc. I just think now is not the time to be naming a kid with a name in anyway related to bullet shooting weapons.

Archer is a fine name, but we can do without Beretta, Gauge, Colt or Magnum and certainly AR15, and Gunner.

If they used a magnum little Gunner wouldn’t exist 🤣

Edited by oliviabenson
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 15
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

He is a cute baby, but my heart breaks for him because he will grow up uneducated with little hope for a productive future.  He deserves better.

This is already borne out in how Joy is "homeschooling" 5 year old Giddy. That poor kid seems seriously delayed, and his parents are doing nothing to help him. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 16

Being the early 90s teen that I was, I think "guy with long hair" when I think of the name Gunnar. As in Gunnar Nelson from the band Nelson. Yeah, I realize his name is spelled slightly different but my point still stands, which is that I always felt like "Gunnar" was such a metal name.

image.png.f8a60cefa5de5c35d1aa236d00b9d540.png

• Like 6
  • LOL 8
18 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Being the early 90s teen that I was, I think "guy with long hair" when I think of the name Gunnar. As in Gunnar Nelson from the band Nelson. Yeah, I realize his name is spelled slightly different but my point still stands, which is that I always felt like "Gunnar" was such a metal name.

when I see them, I remember how one of them said to tell them apart, "Matthew with the bangs, Gunnar with the one length hair. LOL!

• Like 4
On 5/19/2023 at 1:41 PM, ginger90 said:

CE1A245B-5E9A-4F06-A62A-9FDC36DF31C5.jpeg

Austin looks like some weirdo in off the street that jumped into the pic before taking off.  

18 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

I was at the MTV Music Awards in 1987 and 1988.  At one of them I saw these two jamming pizza down their gullet.  Looked like poseurs.  They were always kind of a joke.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

The baby is cute but huge. Austin looks deranged. I'm glad that Joy had the baby in an actual hospital instead of at home. The spelling of his name is not surprising considering how gun happy Austin is. 

• Like 12
  • Sad 4
(edited)

Gunny struck me as the most likely nickname, too, though I imagine the resulting Full Metal Jacket quotes that many people, myself included, would then associate with it would not be welcome by his parents.

giphy.gif

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 8
(edited)

Birth video.  (Warning:  There is some JimBob in this.)

Musings:

Austin seems like a good dad, letting the kids jump all over him.

Joy still enjoys the dirty-sole look.  (Check out the bottom of her feet in the bed.)

Michelle looks good in this video.  Different make-up?  Weight gain?  Her's hair's pulled back which definitely makes a difference.

JB says they now have 15 boys and 15 girls (and Katy will be the tie-breaker).  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 1