Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: 50 Shades of Ben

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Sierra spirals out of control; Emily questions Ben and Kate's friendship; Kyle makes Ashley an attractive offer; Kate sits Nico and Lauren down for a chat; Ben crosses a line with Kate that changes the dynamic of their friendship forever.

"Kate, will you accept this leftover rose from Emily's old funereal bouquet?"

Ben, clearly you don't want any woman to approach you with her own POV. Also - clams, mahi and an ice cream bar? My cat chokes up fancier food.

"No matter how much you suck my dick, that's MY beer". My dream proposal.

• Love 12

Yeah Kyle is so classy. He stayed honest?  That's why he asked Sierra out when he had the love of his life back home?  

Did they not show some stuff Kate did?  I don't get all the hate.  Nico was totally unprofessional,  at least Lauren stayed and said a meek sorry for assuming.  

Does anyone know if they pay taxes on what they earn? 

Wtf was Ben's deal? 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

Wtf was Ben's deal? 

He is an immature, entitled, sexist, lazy alcoholic. 

5 minutes ago, Adultosaurus said:

Ugh, Ben and his BAY BAY shit.  He's such an anachronism that isn't relevant anymore.  He needs a new schtick.

He is a cross between Beavis and Butthead (that laugh) and Austin Powers.

• Love 12

Sierra and Emily are such babies. But, admittedly I empathize with Kate - when there is shit that needs to be done, it needs to get done. Fulfill your job responsibilities, then take your break. Yeah, Kate could be less bitchy about it, but I don't know if I would be that patient either with at least Sierra. Just listening to her vocal fry voice makes my eye twitch. 

Edited by MattDuffysCat
  • Love 16

I thought Emily took the whole Kate telling what needs to be done issue in stride, but she seems to be able to brush off remarks and incidents better than Sierra. Sierra seemed to take the Kate issue personally and then was passive aggressive about it.

I am one of the few that enjoyed this season, because I did not really hate anyone, except Trevor, but he was gone fairly quickly. Everyone screwed up a bit, but I did not really dislike anyone. I thought they all had their moments where I was not wild about things said or did, but overall they all seem harmless. I also liked that everyone seemed competent with their jobs (or at least wanted to be competent as with Kelly). That is one of the things I liked with Below Deck Med as well, that everyone seemed competent (and I am one of the very very few that liked Below Deck Med and Captain Mark), even Danny though he would cross lines. I do not need a Rocky, Leon, Kat, or any other villian type person to enjoy the show. 

Wasn't Below Deck Med renewed for a second season? I am just assuming that if that got renewed than original recipe Below Deck would get renewed.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Wasn't Below Deck Med renewed for a second season? I am just assuming that if that got renewed than original recipe Below Deck would get renewed.

They showed a brief preview of Below Deck: Mediterranean tonight(it'll be in Croatia), so that's definitely coming back.

Has Sierra never had a job? Her constant pouting and whining that her superiors are being mean to her when they want her just to do her job is ridiculous. It was amusing when she was giving Kate this smile that I think she thought was sarcastic, but it just came off incredibly creepy.

Also, the toilet paper thing was weird. Was Sierra implying that Kate and the cameras were lying about the toilet paper? 

Ive decided that every morning Kate secretly pissed in Nico's cheerios, but the camera simply didn't capture it. That's the only thing that explains the level of disdain he has for Kate. Well, that and immaturity lol

Emily says here that she doesn't want to get involved in the Kate/Ben drama, she tweeted it too, but I'm not sure if I believe so much in her discomfort.

I'm not sure how much I believe there's genuine interest there or a real relationship with #Bemily (many of their Instagram and interviews have a work angle, so...), but there was way too much Kate involved in this relationship. And not because she was insinuating herself there. I don't know if that was just the narrative the show was trying to portray or what, but there's an element to Ben in tonight's episode that made it seem like his frustration with Kate was about negative attention. And how he apparently doesn't know how to balance his relationship with Kate with another girl around. It's like he decided he had to start being a total ass to her in order to sell himself and his "love" when, IMO, it highlighted the opposite.

How he made the evening out after incredibly awkward with Kate and not spending time with the girl he apparently likes was weird and filled with red flags. I honestly don't get it at all. Also, him offering a half-hearted, hungover apology accompanied by a rose from the very flower arrangement that was the bane of Kate's existence? Lol, I don't think Ben caught the irony there. 

I must ask, too, when did Ben morph fully into a more obnoxious Austin Powers?

I liked the goodbyes between the Captain and Kelley and the Captain and Kate. If the show comes back, I would actually really like Kelley back, hopefully much improved. Once he stopped obsessing over hooking up with someone on board, I enjoyed watching him try(and mostly fail). That's what I prefer watching rather than crew members with a steady stream of random guests. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, MattDuffysCat said:

Will there be a reunion?

No. I think we've speculated that Kate's trial and Nico's brother's death might be part of the reason there's no reunion.

The one thing I'm really going to miss from a reunion is everyone calling Sierra out on her delusions about how good her work was. 

I laughed so hard when Lauren slunk out of the room like a punk when Kate confronted them.

Nico and Ben were so obnoxious tonight. Did Ben always look like a really busted Tom Hiddleston?

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

Kyle buying an engagement ring off of Kate was one of the tackiest things I've ever seen.

I hope she didn't take Kyle. It looks like she sold him her 14k sterling David Yurman onyx ring. The one's I've seen for sale without diamonds are around $150-400. I have never seen any diamonds on Kate's.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

I really wish Nico would have "argued" with Kate. Like what is his argument that they should have been able to fuck up the guest quarters and have there be no consequences? Particularly when the deck crew had specifically been warned about not treating the boat like their party pad. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, Giselle said:

I hope she didn't take Kyle. It looks like she sold him her 14k sterling David Yurman onyx ring. The one's I've seen for sale without diamonds are around $150-400. I have never seen any diamonds on Kate's.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F

She said that she had paid $2,000 for it and Kyle bought it for $1,000.

I just feel relieved that this season is over. Too much inner-crew drama. Save the drama for the guests and their crazy demands. 

It's weird because there were some people I started out thinking I was going to despise, and ended up kind of liking. Kelley, for instance, really put me off early on. But when he sidestepped the personal shit, he turned out okay. I think he is a really hard worker and he means well, but he gets inside his own head too much. 

On the other hand, I'm usually a fan of Ben, but he left me with a bitter taste in my mouth by the end. I know he was drunk, but his behavior on their final night out was just awful. I thought the concerns Emily had were totally justified. Ben was pretty much been ignoring her and giving all of his attention to Kate. I'd feel concerned as well. But he can't even empathize with that, he gets all defensive, and then takes his anger out on KATE. Just utterly ridiculous. 

I really don't think Ben and Kate should work together, period. Forget the personal stuff. They clearly have totally different philosophies about how/when to serve the guests and the constant bickering about it is tiresome. 

Sierra shouldn't be in yachting either. She is just not thick-skinned enough to handle it. 

I wish Kyle and his lady well, even though I think half of his antics are for show. 

Nico and Lauren....meh. I think they're hard workers, but a bit too immature. Nico seems like someone that will hold a grudge against you for life. No time for that. 

• Love 13
11 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

Did they not show some stuff Kate did?  I don't get all the hate.  Nico was totally unprofessional,  at least Lauren stayed and said a meek sorry for assuming.  

Kate told Nico and Lauren that she didn't rat them out; but then they showed her telling Captain Lee that "Ben and the deck crew were in here."  Wasn't that ratting them out?

That said, I completely agree with what Kate said to Emily and Sierra.  All she wanted was for them to do their jobs, no more, no less.  I also like how Kate pronounces "stewardesses."  Instead of saying STEWardesses, she says stewarDESSES.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

Yeah Kyle is so classy. He stayed honest?  That's why he asked Sierra out when he had the love of his life back home?  

The whole thing is so weird. It would be one thing if he had a casual gal back home, and they had an "understanding". But he's already proposed to Ashley once, so obviously it's pretty damn serious. What would have happened if Sierra had been into him? And they dated the entire season and had crazy sex? How would Ashley have handled that? I don't know.....the cynic in me thinks that Ashley was just someone he knew back home, that maybe he'd hooked up with a time or two, and he called to concoct this crazy storyline. 

3 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Kate told Nico and Lauren that she didn't rat them out; but then they showed her telling Captain Lee that "Ben and the deck crew were in here."  Wasn't that ratting them out?

I think she meant that she didn't go track down the Captain and say, "Look what the deck crew did!" It was discovered and Captain wanted to know who was in there. At that point, she's not going to lie to HIM. That's the last thing you want to do. I get the whole not "ratting people out" thing, but you can only take that so far. If the panel had been easily fixable, if Lee hadn't seen it, I don't think it would have been mentioned. But it was a bigger issue than Nico wants to think it is and I don't think Kate did anything wrong. 

• Love 23

This had to be the most haphazardly put together "reality" series ever.  The writers threw everything at the wall to see what would stick unlike Ben's so called throw the book food wise at the charter guests.

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

No. I think we've speculated that Kate's trial and Nico's brother's death might be part of the reason there's no reunion.

The one thing I'm really going to miss from a reunion is everyone calling Sierra out on her delusions about how good her work was. 

I laughed so hard when Lauren slunk out of the room like a punk when Kate confronted them.

Nico and Ben were so obnoxious tonight. Did Ben always look like a really busted Tom Hiddleston?

Could you elaborate or give links?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, BogoGog24 said:

She said that she had paid $2,000 for it and Kyle bought it for $1,000.

I know which is why I posted. I took notice because I've always liked the ring. Would have loved it more if it was all gold.

• Love 1

I liked how Kate answered right away that the Captain would love to have dinner with the guests even tho it was probably the last thing he wanted to do. This group did seem to be one of the best he has dined with.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

It was amusing when she was giving Kate this smile that I think she thought was sarcastic, but it just came off incredibly creepy.

That was really obnoxious. Wasn't there a stew in a previous season who did that sort of thing? I'm terrible with names, but she was constantly acting entitled and obnoxious.  (I looked it up-- Samantha on season 1)

• Love 2

Maybe Sierra should go into some kind of health and fitness career, like being a yoga teacher or something, since she's all about "positive vibes." She mentioned early in the season that she had some kind of juicing business and that she got into yachting only like 3 months before. I smell a producer plant. And maybe she took the gig to help pay bills or do free promo for her juicing company. 

Yep Kyle got the mother of his child pregnant for a second time while he was supposed to be caring for Ashley during her transition/recovery. Swell guy. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

That was really obnoxious. Wasn't there a stew in a previous season who did that sort of thing? I'm terrible with names, but she was constantly acting entitled and obnoxious.  (I looked it up-- Samantha on season 1)

Samantha was the worst.  She and a drunken Kat made Adrienne's life a life hell.  They teamed up against Adrienne and made it impossible for her to do her job effectively.  If that charter season were not a part of a reality show both Sam and Kat would have been fired.  However, because production had chartered the boat for the series and they made for good TV, Adrienne was stuck with them.  Adrienne got a bad rap because of those two.  She was "in charge"  of two horrible crew members who she was unable to fire.  Sam and Kat knew this and took full advantage.  Adrienne was in a no win situation. 

• Love 8

I was really touched by Captain Lee's parting shout-out to Kate as she walked away from the boat. They obviously have a very good relationship which I find very sweet. The fact that he holds her in such high regard says a lot more about Kate than the other crew members' petty snarking about her.

• Love 17

Maybe Sierra should go into some kind of health and fitness career, like being a yoga teacher or something, since she's all about "positive vibes." She mentioned early in the season that she had some kind of juicing business and that she got into yachting only like 3 months before. I smell a producer plant. And maybe she took the gig to help pay bills or do free promo for her juicing company. 

Yep Kyle got the mother of his child pregnant for a second time while he was supposed to be caring for Ashley during her transition/recovery. Swell guy. 

If Sierra came on the show to promote her juicing company, she probably should have thought it through a bit more. As I recall, the one time she "juiced" for people on the boat, they absolutely hated it.

• Love 4
  17 hours ago, ihartcoffee said:

That said, I completely agree with what Kate said to Emily and Sierra.  All she wanted was for them to do their jobs, no more, no less.  I also like how Kate pronounces "stewardesses."  Instead of saying STEWardesses, she says stewarDESSES.

If the crew had simply knocked a picture off the wall, or stained a bedspread, Kate could have covered up for them. But when the knock down a panel that contains the controls of a very (stupidly) expensive toilet system, which will require professional repair, she has to tell the captain. Even then, she didn't lead with "Ben and the deck crew did this". She kept it neutral until Captain Lee asked her a direct question. She couldn't lie to him, and it would be ridiculous for the guilty parties to expect her to. If they're worried about getting "ratted out", maybe they shouldn't be getting drunk and destroying their workplace.

• Love 22
17 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

If Sierra came on the show to promote her juicing company, she probably should have thought it through a bit more. As I recall, the one time she "juiced" for people on the boat, they absolutely hated it.

Not only did they hate her juice, but Sierra didn't know how to use the juicer. She took the juicer mechanism off and was attempting to juice on the motor. Additionally if she's so into juicing, why did it only come up when they had a charter guest who didn't eat anything. You would figure, she would be juicing for herself every morning at the very least.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 8

I'm left with the final thought for the season that Lauren is a disrespectful pig, Nico needs to grow up more, Kelly is learning but needs more experience, Emily is better off with out Ben, Kyle needs to make better choices in life (a second knock up?), this, Sierra is a head of air, Kate should get her Yacht Stew book published, Ben will never settle down, and the Captain would be cool to work for (unlike the one of BD Med)

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

Even then, she didn't lead with "Ben and the deck crew did this". She kept it neutral until Captain Lee asked her a direct question. She couldn't lie to him, and it would be ridiculous for the guilty parties to expect her to. If they're worried about getting "ratted out", maybe they shouldn't be getting drunk and destroying their workplace.

Question, did the captain suspect that Kate knew who damaged the room?  If so then Kate had no choice, but what if she really didn't know who did it?  What if she'd said, "I don't know?"

BTW, why did Kyle feel the need to tell Kate what Nico and Lauren said about her?  I thought that was very high school-ish.

3 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I'm left with the final thought for the season that Lauren is a disrespectful pig

Why is Lauren a pig?  A drunk yes, but I wouldn't call her a pig.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

A loud mouth, messy, drunk, who trashes her work place, feels no remorse about it other than how it affects her, and ponders less on her own poor behaviors than that of others is a pig. I really liked her at the beginning of the season until I saw more of her.

edited to add Nico is also a disrespectful pig.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 13
44 minutes ago, Giselle said:

A loud mouth, messy, drunk, who trashes her work place, feels no remorse about it other than how it affects her, and ponders less on her own poor behaviors than that of others is a pig. I really liked her at the beginning of the season until I saw more of her.

edited to add Nico is also a disrespectful pig.

Yeah, I get your point.  But Ben acted pretty piggish in that guest cabin too, and wasn't he running around naked too?

Another issue with the deck crew was Kelley.  He wanted to be their friend rather than their boss and that didn't work with them.

• Love 3
Just now, Neurochick said:

Yeah, I get your point.  But Ben acted pretty piggish in that guest cabin too, and wasn't he running around naked too?

Another issue with the deck crew was Kelley.  He wanted to be their friend rather than their boss and that didn't work with them.

Ben, oh yes, very much so. He is very selfish at his core. When it came to Emily he liked the idea of a long relationship but I don't believe that he is willing to give up anything or put in the effort needed to make it work.

It was one of the lessons Kelly had to learn except he started learning it and applying it the season when it was too late to believed. The crew, once Booger Man was booted, worked well together for the most part. They were a bit lazy or didn't think things through which got them into trouble. I hope Lauren when she sees the show will make some apologies and changes.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I don't know.....the cynic in me thinks that Ashley was just someone he knew back home, that maybe he'd hooked up with a time or two, and he called to concoct this crazy storyline. 

I think Kyle's relationship was all put on for the show - the engagement looked so fake !! There was no love there at all !

2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

BTW, why did Kyle feel the need to tell Kate what Nico and Lauren said about her?  I thought that was very high school-ish.

I thought that was funny as he was telling Kate how he doesn't rat on people - then goes and says that !!

I liked Nico and Emily the best this season. The others just seemed so childish.

I have always hated Kate as i think she is a bitch. Has she had fillers in her lips as well as her pouty face seemed more noticeable this episode ??

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Question, did the captain suspect that Kate knew who damaged the room?  If so then Kate had no choice, but what if she really didn't know who did it?  What if she'd said, "I don't know?"

Why is Lauren a pig?  A drunk yes, but I wouldn't call her a pig.

Kate didn't witness the damage being done, but a cabinful of drunken crew members at night followed by damage to the cabin the next morning isn't exactly a head scratcher.  It would have been dishonest for Kate to know who had occupied the room but not reveal that when the Captain asked.  Again, why should Kate have to lie or otherwise obfuscate to cover for people who don't care enough about their jobs -- or hers -- to now cause the damage in the first place or, failing that, to own up to it immediately and tell the captain about it themselves?  Did they really think that if they all just scattered and said nothing no one would be the wiser?

Isn't Lauren the one that dropped pizza all over the passageway and then bitched about getting yelled at about it?

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Giselle said:

...Kate should get her Yacht Stew book published...

She did ?  She tweeted about it last night, on iTunes and Amazon digitally, soon paperback... admittedly I downloaded it, so far it's decent... 

the episode  was bland. This season was off... not sure why it went so off course. I know Bemily are supposedly still an item but I don't really get it, and I thought it was incredibly unprofessional for Ben to diss Kate in front of, and to, Emily...who reports to Kate... I give Emily credit for trying to remain neutral...

part of me hopes it's back for another season, and back to what made it work in past seasons... but it may be done... ??

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, BodhiGurl said:

She did ?  She tweeted about it last night, on iTunes and Amazon digitally, soon paperback... admittedly I downloaded it, so far it's decent... 

the episode  was bland. This season was off... not sure why it went so off course. I know Bemily are supposedly still an item but I don't really get it, and I thought it was incredibly unprofessional for Ben to diss Kate in front of, and to, Emily...who reports to Kate... I give Emily credit for trying to remain neutral...

part of me hopes it's back for another season, and back to what made it work in past seasons... but it may be done... ??

Good for her. I'm not on Social Media.