Type keyword(s) to search

The gnaB giB -- How should BBT End?

In astronomy, the end of the universe is sometimes called the gnaB giB or the Big Crunch.  In the thread for episode S10.E09 "The Geology Elevation" people have suggested some ideas for ending the series.  What would you like to see in the last episode or the last scene of the series?

1. Sheldon and Amy get married.

2. AMY wins a Nobel prize and to everyone's amazement, Sheldon is happy for her and very proud. They move far, far away (like Switzerland or something) where Amy is set up in her own lab, and Sheldon's given up the dark matter research and joins his wife in hers. (hey, could happen!)

3. Penny gets a huge part in a major motion picture from the infamous Serial Apist movies and Leonard moves with her to LaLa Land, getting out of research and into teaching. He's so proud of her (I really couldn't care less about these two. That's why this one's so lame).

OOOOORRRRRR

Leonard gets a really lucrative teaching position at a major University and they move there. Penny gets preggers, stays home and raises the kids, the end. These two. So freakin' BORING.  I hate that they're considered the "Main" couple. I still can't see any chemistry...

4. Howard gets Raj-Rich off of his RC Toys shaped like famous people/made to order to look like you, and he's able to stay home with his daughter - Deborah Carol (Or Carol Debbie) Wolowitz. And their dog, cat, fish, and later, their other two kids. He's the dad to his kids he never had. He promises his daughter at birth that he will never ever leave her...

5. Raj gets arrange-married to a really sweet, shy, wonderful Indian girl his sister Priya and his Mom set him up with.  Seriously. He's deliriously happy. He gets to shower her with all the love and affection he's been missing in his own life. She's very needy that way as well...they end up with 6 kids and he's a better father to them than his was to him. None of his kids has his selective mutism, and one goes on the be Prime Minister.

• Love 6

well I feel this will only be appropriate if the show ends the way the intro begins each week. So I expect the gyroscope they are working on to throw the planet off the orbit and sent it bouncing off in space crashing into other planets.  or Donald Trump could get elected president. 

• Love 6

Among other things I would redeem at least one of the sad sack characters. Having one is tedious, but having two is annoying. Raj could do well in his career and either be fairly happily single or go into an arranged marriage. Stuart, even if he is the baby's nanny, could go back to art and achieve some success.

• Love 8

Shapeshifter, good idea for Stuart.  I would have been fine with Raj being gay if they had done it early in the series, but now it might look like they are saying it's only because no woman would want him.

• Love 5

OK, the whole sitcom is actually happening inside Sheldon's mind, which it turns out Sheldon really is mentally ........

OK, never mind, uhhh

OK, the whole group are actually astronauts on their way to Mars, and are all having a shared dream because of the technology aboard the ship ..........

OK, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sheldon buys a giant magic box and actually thinks he made Leonard disapear when in fact ............

Oh, for crying out loud!!!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

OK, the whole sitcom is actually happening inside Sheldon's mind, which it turns out Sheldon really is mentally ........

OK, never mind, uhhh

OK, the whole group are actually astronauts on their way to Mars, and are all having a shared dream because of the technology aboard the ship ..........

OK, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sheldon buys a giant magic box and actually thinks he made Leonard disapear when in fact ............

28 years later, I still haven't gotten over my disappointment at the St Elsewhere finale, (It was my favorite show back then.), but given all the speculation through the years that Sheldon may be on the autism spectrum, your first option might be fitting. 

• Love 6

Speaking of many years later, if BBT goes on for a few more decades (which it should not) I would like to see Deborah [my speculation] Rostenkowski Wolowitz become a physicist and either disprove something Sheldon did, or accomplish something he could not. That is partly because Sheldon has become so annoying, and partly because I dislike the "boys do hard science, girls do soft science" trope. I remember Leslie Winkel, and I understand that the show started with the boys doing physics, so they wanted Bernadette and Amy to do something different, but it is a generalization that some people in the real world have.

• Love 5
On Saturday, December 03, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Driad said:

Speaking of many years later, if BBT goes on for a few more decades (which it should not) I would like to see Deborah [my speculation] Rostenkowski Wolowitz become a physicist and either disprove something Sheldon did, or accomplish something he could not. That is partly because Sheldon has become so annoying, and partly because I dislike the "boys do hard science, girls do soft science" trope. I remember Leslie Winkel, and I understand that the show started with the boys doing physics, so they wanted Bernadette and Amy to do something different, but it is a generalization that some people in the real world have.

Doesn't Amy have a doctorate in neuro-physics?

I wouldn't consider that a "soft" science.

Bernadette's microbiology, yes. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, roamyn said:

Doesn't Amy have a doctorate in neuro-physics?

I wouldn't consider that a "soft" science.

Bernadette's microbiology, yes. 

I believe Amy is a neurobiologist not a neurophysicist

• Love 1

Either way, Amy's work is not something that Sheldon respects. I was imagining little Debbie beating Sheldon at his own game.

While I'm here -- If Howard got a PhD, I don't think Sheldon would treat him any better. Sheldon would find some excuse to pick on him.

• Love 1

Soft science equals the social sciences. Neither Bernedette or Amy practice "soft science" does Sheldon judge and not respect most of their work? Yes but that is because he is an absolute asshole.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

I wish they'd put a mathematician in the show. That person could legitimately tell Sheldon, "Without us, you are nothing."

I have never heard anyone refer to microbiology or neuroscience as "soft sciences". Psychology, anthropology, etc, yes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Definitions vary. Sheldon seems to be one of those who consider that anything biological or neuro- is soft science, and that social sciences are not science at all.

Yeah, this is the guy who thought becoming a medical doctor was a trade to fall back on.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Definitions vary. Sheldon seems to be one of those who consider that anything biological or neuro- is soft science, and that social sciences are not science at all.

Sheldon considers anything that deals with "yucky squishy things" to be a soft science.

• Love 2
On December 3, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Driad said:

I would like to see Deborah [my speculation] Rostenkowski Wolowitz become a physicist and either disprove something Sheldon did, or accomplish something he could not. 

Perhaps this can be the plot for the inevitable Netflix reboot: The Bigger Bang

• Love 4

The perfect ending for Amy and Sheldon is them being chosen for the Mars mission they applied for a few years back and them being shown flying off the Mars to start their new life. 

Then they should show the two of them getting there, on the big huge world for just the two of them, and Sheldon says to her "You're in my spot"

Don't really care about what happens with the others. 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:02 PM, Indy said:

I believe Amy is a neurobiologist not a neurophysicist

I don't think there is even such a thing as a "neuro-physicist". 

Yes pretty sure she is a neurobiologist.  And I never had the impression Sheldon doesn't respect Amy's work. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4
On 12/2/2016 at 4:40 PM, Twilight Man said:

OK, never mind, uhhh

OK, uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Or Sheldon's first room mate, as previously played by Steven Yeun, wakes up in bed with Lauren Cohen and it was all a dream, a la Newhart.

Edited by Lizzing
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The perfect ending for Amy and Sheldon is them being chosen for the Mars mission they applied for a few years back and them being shown flying off the Mars to start their new life. 

Then they should show the two of them getting there, on the big huge world for just the two of them, and Sheldon says to her "You're in my spot"

Don't really care about what happens with the others. 

And that's it...the perfect ending.

• Love 5

I think it should show all of them moving on to seperate lives. 

Howard and Bernie and Halley (Deborah) Wolowitz both get sweet jobs in Boston or New York. 

Raj gets a job at NASA in Florida, doing astronomy works and gets the arranged marriage of his dreams. 

Stuart sells a comic book and becomes popular and moves to Japan. 

Amy and Sheldon go off to begin training for Mars. 

Leonard and Penny settle into the apartment, and feel so alone.

"Should we do it?" Penny whispers. Leonard nods. They sit down in Sheldon's spot and nothing happens. 

Then suddenly, they hear "You're in my spot." 

And the final cut is Sheldon and a giggly Amy sitting in the car, having put a whoopee cushion there. "Bazinga." 

Then a group picture with the words "Always friends." 

Edited by dungeonwriter
  • Love 7

I always thought Sheldon should win the Nobel Prize, but for an old paper that he no longer believes is right so he takes off on a worldwide speaking tour trying to disprove his own now-celebrated theory.

• Love 8

I like to imagine that it's AMY that wins the Nobel prize and they go off on a world wide speaking tour, and he's so inordinately proud of her he tells everybody his wife won the nobel prize for science. 

But we all know. Boring Boring Boring ending.

Shelly and Amy get hitched. Everybody's who's ever been on the show (ever ever ever) make an appearance.

The

End

Yawn.

Oh - and Penny's Preggers. Big deal.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, hnygrl said:

I like to imagine that it's AMY that wins the Nobel prize and they go off on a world wide speaking tour, and he's so inordinately proud of her he tells everybody his wife won the nobel prize for science. 

I expect that the category she'd win would be "physiology or medicine". No reason why he couldn't be co-winner if he helped her out enough for her to give him credit, which would give him mixed feelings. He'd be happy for Amy, but finally have a Nobel in a field he doesn't respect.

• Love 1

I think they're in a tough position with Raj here in the series. I think they want to give him a partner, but it sounds like to fill that role they need to elevate that person to regular and get the salary that goes along with that now that the roles of Bernadette and Amy are so entrenched.

So I want Raj to find his partner as the character has been so earnest about finding love, but I'm guessing it won't happen until the final season.

Once their Nav system is finished, I fully expect Howard to become a stay-at-home dad, as caregiver comes much more naturally to him, passed on from his Mom. I think having a child is what leads him to embracing the domestic responsibilities his mother took care of for him.

I like the idea of Sheldon supporting Amy's research, wrapping up his character development.

Penny and Leonard are then left with a whole bunch of Thai food and an otherwise empty apartment.

...And then Charlie Sheen knocks at the door

• Love 1

I like the idea of Raj getting a partner (finally!) But like you said, Trveller519, "budget!" In my imagination what happens is he's arranged-married by his family to a nice Indian girl (in India, of course. Her billion-dollar corporation runs out of there) and we only see her via Skype. And she is crazy about her husband! He flies back to India to meet, marry and honeymoon with her, and we only see her via Skype once or twice that last season. Then, after Sheldon and Amy's wedding, Raj flies off into the sunset, never to be seen again. Solves that problem.

OR - he's off the show because he stays in India with his wife and we only see RAJ via skype. And he and wifey fly in for the wedding. And we only get to see her that one time during the finale. And she's PREGNANT! (I like that one better...)

I still think Stuart will stay on as the full time live in Manny for the Rostenkowski-Wolowitz kids as mom and dad go on to continue conquering the universe. I'd love to see Howard go into space again. Even though he hated it and never wants to go back, I'd still love to see him go again. Career-wise, he's the most successful of the original 4.

• Love 2

I'd love to see Amy and Sheldon get married. Stuart will somehow become an important person in a small comic book publisher/company. This sets up a spin-off series about Stuart and his co-workers. In this hypothetical spin-off, there is a comic-con episode where the original Big Bang Theory cast makes an appearance.  

• Love 5

How about some sort of reset?  Penny and Bernadette leave Leonard and Howard, and Amy tires of Sheldon's quirks.  The four guys end up living in the original apartment, playing Halo and watching sci fi movies.  Maybe a pretty neighbor could move in across the hall, and Sheldon says, exasperated, "Here we go again".

• Love 3

If they were to do a reset, I think it'd have to be that they've all moved out and you have somebody leaving the original apartment for the last time when the two younger nerds who now occupy it see the new tenant in the other apartment show up. It'd be great if they gender-flipped it.

• Love 9

It might seem predictable, but I'd like to see Penny take a chance on a random audition, get a major role and achieve stardom. And because she and Leonard have even less in common, they go their separate ways and Leonard finds a mate who shares more of his interests (I like these characters as individuals, not so much as a couple).

Howard and Bernadette live happily ever after.

Sheldon tires of his work and becomes a train conductor. Because he's gone more often, Amy doesn't get as annoyed with his quirks.

Raj becomes a celebrity stylist (I seriously don't know what else to do with that guy).

• Love 7
On 3/2/2017 at 0:51 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

If they were to do a reset, I think it'd have to be that they've all moved out and you have somebody leaving the original apartment for the last time when the two younger nerds who now occupy it see the new tenant in the other apartment show up. It'd be great if they gender-flipped it.

I love this idea. There would be two geeky girls in what was Leonard and Sheldon's apartment (now Penny and Leonard's). One of them would be more into science/sci-fi and the other would be more into fantasy. This is easy to show through t-shirts/props (one of them is wearing/carrying something "Star Trek" or "Firefly" related and the other is wearing/carrying something "Harry Potter" or "Lord of the Rings" ) They would see a totally hunky guy move into the apartment that was Penny's (and is currently Sheldon and Amy's).   

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 11
On 3/9/2017 at 5:08 PM, Runnergirl said:

Sheldon tires of his work and becomes a train conductor.

I think you're on the right track, but it'd have to be at a rail museum where he can show off his knowledge. On a real train, he'd prefer to be up in the engine running it, rather than dealing with the passengers.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2017 at 4:08 PM, Runnergirl said:

I'd like to see Penny take a chance on a random audition, get a major role and achieve stardom. And because she and Leonard have even less in common, they go their separate ways and Leonard finds a mate who shares more of his interests (I like these characters as individuals, not so much as a couple).

Agree entirely. I like both characters, but IMO, the moment they got married was the moment the show jumped the shark. There's nothing that keeps them in the relationship except that they're in the relationship. They have less chemistry than ever; it's really more of a roommates-only vibe these days. 

I don't see them breaking up Leonard and Penny, they've been the core of the show since the pilot episode.  I don't care if they don't share a lot of common interests.  They've set things up so that it would be almost impossible for Leonard to meet any woman who shares his interests - well aside from science of course.  The one time they had a girl who was into comics they made sure it was the one time.  I'd like to see the show end sooner rather than later and go out without any major changes for anyone.  Just a life goes on kind of ending with the whole gang gathered together eating takeout food in Leonard and Penny's apartment.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
On 3/9/2017 at 9:52 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I love this idea. There would be two geeky girls in what was Leonard and Sheldon's apartment (now Penny and Leonard's). One of them would be more into science/sci-fi and the other would be more into fantasy. This is easy to show through t-shirts/props (one of them is wearing/carrying something "Star Trek" or "Firefly" related and the other is wearing/carrying something "Harry Potter" or "Lord of the Rings" ) They would see a totally hunky guy move into the apartment that was Penny's (and is currently Sheldon and Amy's).   

The main problem with that idea is that I would want to start watching that show.  In fact, I'd like to watch it right now.  It would be the closest thing to seeing the early Big Bang Theory seasons again.

• Love 6

If it's going to go on much longer, something worth engaging in has to happen. No more babies; the writers clearly don't know what to do with them. (Bernadette and Howard's house is spotless.) Maybe something with Howard's dad, or Raj's personal life (as we've discussed), or ... I really can't think of anything, sadly enough. 

I could not possibly be any more over Leonard and Penny as a couple.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Literata said:

Maybe something with Howard's dad

I've been expecting them to do something with Howard's dad for a long time now.  It's a stray thread.  When they first introduced that colonel who is interested in their guidance system, I thought he was going to turn out to be Howard's dad.

• Love 1

When Howard's Dad didn't even make contact after his ex-wife died I figured they didn't intend to follow up on that one.  What is there to say?  He was a lousy husband and a lousy father (not just to Howard but to the second family as well) not sure where they could go with bringing him on.  I'd rather see  more of Penny's family and I'd really like to see Raj's mother again.  I loved her.  

• Love 1

One word: Friends.

Didn't work then, won't work here. Bringing Howard's Dad on the scene is too Friends-ish and bottom-of-the-barrel-we're-so-out-of-ideas...

I'd rather see Raj get married (arranged married of course) than Howard's dad coming back.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2017 at 6:37 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I'd love to see Amy and Sheldon get married. Stuart will somehow become an important person in a small comic book publisher/company. This sets up a spin-off series about Stuart and his co-workers. In this hypothetical spin-off, there is a comic-con episode where the original Big Bang Theory cast makes an appearance.  

That would be cool. Something along the lines of the movie High Fidelity.

On 3/27/2017 at 11:57 AM, Literata said:

If it's going to go on much longer, something worth engaging in has to happen. No more babies; the writers clearly don't know what to do with them. (Bernadette and Howard's house is spotless.) Maybe something with Howard's dad, or Raj's personal life (as we've discussed), or ... I really can't think of anything, sadly enough. 

I could not possibly be any more over Leonard and Penny as a couple.

Is Halley walking yet? It's easy to keep a spotless house before they start toddling around making horrible messes.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:52 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I love this!

6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is Halley walking yet? It's easy to keep a spotless house before they start toddling around making horrible messes.

Halley seems to be very much still a baby.  She wasn't born *that* long ago in real time (which, granted, doesn't always line up with "show" time).  But, if Bernadette is just now going back to work, my guess is that she's probably about 6 weeks-3 months old, which I think is pretty average for maternity leaves in the US, depending on the employer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

But, if Bernadette is just now going back to work, my guess is that she's probably about 6 weeks-3 months old, which I think is pretty average for maternity leaves in the US, depending on the employer.

I cannot imagine what it would feel like to have had to go back to work when my children were so young!  Where I worked we got a year and that's fairly common here in Canada.

• Love 5