Type keyword(s) to search

Hidden Figures (2016)

starri
  • Start Topic

It's getting an Oscar-qualifying NY and LA release in December and then a wide one in early January.

The true story of three phenomenal women played by three phenomenal actresses.  Katherine Johnson (Taraj)'s accomplishments would have been amazing whenever they happened, but especially as an African American woman in the South in the 50s and 60s.  If it's as good as the trailer makes it look, I won't be surprised if Taraji and Octavia get Oscar nominations.

• Love 10

I hadn't even heard about it until I saw a big poster for it when I went and saw Dr. Strange.  But the cast and the subject matter had me immediately.  I love the history of NASA and Octavia Spencer is bae.

When I first saw the release date on the poster I thought "Oh, not very good, dumped in January."  And then I saw the trailer and realized "Nope, going the route of most indie movies that are going to win Oscars."  I'd have seen it anyway, just because of Taraji and Octavia. 

• Love 6

I first heard about this film on a feminist blog several months ago, but I had the same reaction as starri, where I feared it was going to get dumped in January and not put forward as an Oscar-worthy pic.

I am really looking forward to seeing this! I have the book Rise of the Rocket Girls at home, about the women in general who worked for NASA throughout the decades, but seeing a film/book about the experiences of African-American women in specific is fantastic.

• Love 4
On 12/8/2016 at 11:37 AM, Hanahope said:

I saw a trailer for this when my daughter and I saw Fantastic Beasts.  We're both really looking forward to seeing it.  Johnson was also in a recent episode of Timeless.

I have to say, with what I've heard about this story, why t f haven't I heard about them before with all the tv shows and movies about the space program?  How come in all the hours of programming for From Earth to the Moon, there wasn't a few minutes to mention these apparently incredible women, who were necessary to the Apollo space program?  It really makes me wonder just how many other important events, discoveries, etc had the participation of those who were not white men, which have been completely covered up  just because they weren't white men and therefore presumed to be extra, superfluous, not really important.

Timeless is actually where I first heard about her. Started looking her up now I really want to see this!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Violet Impulse said:

The movie isn't out yet where I am, so I read the book out of sheer impatience. That only made me want to see it more.

How was it? I've seen mixed reviews for the book, I was considering reading it to get more of the details.

I liked it, but it covers far more pre-NASA stuff than I had anticipated, and as a result, it sort of felt as if it ended too early. The author admitted that she'd wanted to tell more of the women's stories, but then the book would be too big. I don't even understand how that's a thing, a book that's too big, considering how much needed telling. It's also a bit more dry than the movie seems to be; you learn the women's accomplishments but you don't get as much insight into their personalities.

[Moving this convo fragment to the Books item "what we are currently reading" because I don't want to derail things here.]

Edited by Violet Impulse
  • Love 1

I saw it Friday and really enjoyed it. Like others I wonder why we are just hearing about these women now but am glad that at least we are hearing about them now.  I'm not generally a fan of TPH but I enjoyed her work here, especially the scene where she has to explain to Kevin Costner's character why she's gone from her desk 40 minutes every day a few times a day, very affecting scene. I thought Janelle Monae (sp?) did a good job as well and Octavia Spencer is always good. Every one played their parts well, I even enjoyed the soundtrack.

I've always been a hugh fan of all things NASA so the movie being so NASA heavy didn't bother me one bit. I hope it does well when it opens wide.

• Love 9
On 12/29/2016 at 9:51 PM, Violet Impulse said:

I liked it, but it covers far more pre-NASA stuff than I had anticipated, and as a result, it sort of felt as if it ended too early. The author admitted that she'd wanted to tell more of the women's stories, but then the book would be too big. I don't even understand how that's a thing, a book that's too big, considering how much needed telling.

I've worked on a couple of academic book projects as a researcher, and publishers typically have fixed ideas about how big a book should be -- particularly if it's not by an author with an established audience.  The second book I worked on could easily have been three times as long as it ended up being, but they wanted it at under 400 pages.

Moonlight and this film are Janelle's first movies, but I love her music, so I am excited she is branching out. (Highly recommend her album Electric Lady, and look for her performance of Dance Apocalyptic on Letterman on YouTube--she brings the house down!)

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 5

I loved this movie.  I'm working my way through movies that may be (and probably will be) Oscar contenders and so far, it's been my favorite.  It loved how emotional it could make me feel (and others in our sold out audience) with just a PG rating. 

On 1/1/2017 at 9:54 AM, jah1986 said:

especially the scene where she has to explain to Kevin Costner's character why she's gone from her desk 40 minutes every day a few times a day, very affecting scene.

It was quite powerful.  I was in tears. 

• Love 14

Loved this film. Taraji, Janelle and Octavia were all great in their roles. And I was happy to see Aldis Hodge and Mahershala Ali. They both served as great support to the women's stories. 

Like others here, I am wondering how many more stories there are like this - stories of people who helped to make history but were left out of the history books due to prejudice. Probably too many to count.

Anyway, I will definitely be reading the book this was based on.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 15

I caught an interview with the real Katherine Johnson yesterday and at 98 she’s still as sharp as a tack! She had this great banter with the interviewer. The one interesting thing though was he specifically asked her about the scenes where she had to run across campus to use the bathroom and she said that never happened, she just used the ones in the building she was working. I was kind of shocked to learn that because it was such a big deal in the movie but I’m guessing the scenes were added to illustrate the struggle and barriers the women faced on a daily basis.  Still a great movie though and all three leads do a wonderful job. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, double-elvis said:

I caught an interview with the real Katherine Johnson yesterday and at 98 she’s still as sharp as a tack! She had this great banter with the interviewer. The one interesting thing though was he specifically asked her about the scenes where she had to run across campus to use the bathroom and she said that never happened, she just used the ones in the building she was working. I was kind of shocked to learn that because it was such a big deal in the movie but I’m guessing the scenes were added to illustrate the struggle and barriers the women faced on a daily basis.  Still a great movie though and all three leads do a wonderful job. 

I've read the book and (just to be cautious)

Spoiler

it was Mary who had white women laugh and tell her, "How would we know where your bathroom is?" on her first day away from the West building. She went off about it to a guy who brought her onto his team; her boss in the movie is a fictionalized version of him. It all happened over the course of a day.

According to the book, Katherine didn't realize the restrooms in that building were segregated at first since they weren't labeled white only and there weren't any "colored" restrooms in that section of the building. Once she did realize, she still didn't change her habits. The author mentions that sometimes other black coworkers at NASA weren't always sure Katherine was black when they first met her, which may have made slipping in and out of white bathrooms less noticeable. So, since that wouldn't work with Taraji and Mary already had a storyline (she did have to lobby to take those classes IRL), the restroom subplot went to Katherine. 

The movie is probably as true as any other biopic, overall I'd say that in real life

Spoiler

the women's careers were much further along in 1961 than what the movie presents and race relations at NASA weren't quite as strained by then. The book discusses things moving away from white or black only inside the walls of Langley-the West section being dissolved as a relic of segregation, integrated company Christmas parties and picnics-while outside, Virginia is trying to outdo Alabama in commitment to Jim Crow. Many of the engineers and scientists there weren't from the South or even American, necessarily, so even if they'd never met a black person before coming there, they didn't have the same baggage about it. These were math/science nerds who respected brains above all else. Still, there were a few black male engineers who also came along in the 1950s and they had a rougher go of it, especially from good ole boy mechanics and such.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 17

Thanks, Dejana.  I was telling a very smart friend of mine, who teaches high school civics/government/history, that I was going to see the movie and she said that she'd be interested in knowing which of their struggles made it into the movie and proceeded to tell me about the bathroom issue as an example, so I was wondering about how she managed to believe something that wasn't true. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Thanks, Dejana.  I was telling a very smart friend of mine, who teaches high school civics/government/history, that I was going to see the movie and she said that she'd be interested in knowing which of their struggles made it into the movie and proceeded to tell me about the bathroom issue as an example, so I was wondering about how she managed to believe something that wasn't true. 

Well, other black employees there were forced into using segregated restrooms even as they worked with white colleagues, so it wasn't like it never happened with anyone, just not Katherine specifically.

The weekend estimates have Hidden Figures finishing a close second at the box office this weekend, but it may change with the final numbers.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Dejana said:

The weekend estimates have Hidden Figures finishing a close second at the box office this weekend, but it may change with the final numbers.

That makes me very, very happy.  It being a hit (and also being good) gives it more momentum going to award season.

• Love 9

I thought it was an amazing film. A much quieter role than Taraji has been known for recently, but I think I see another nomination for Octavia Spencer for this one. 

Kristen Dunst did well, good to see her acting again, especially after her depression; but she wasn't looking well. I don't know if that was an attempt to age her for the part or she isn't looking her best. 

**edited to amend a reference to drug use that wasn't applicable. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I thought it was an amazing film. A much quieter role than Taraji has been known for recently, but I think I see another nomination for Octavia Spencer for this one. 

Kristen Dunce did well, good to see her acting again but she wasn't looking well. I don't know if that was an attempt to age her for the part or the drugs have caught up with her. 

*Kirsten Dunst* underwent inpatient treatment for depression a couple of years ago. It was not a drug issue.

• Love 4

Can't wait for someone to edit a Hidden Fences trailer or post an original skit to Youtube. Hopefully, this unfortunate Golden Globes flub will give a nice publicity boost to both films!

My favorite Twitter punchline for it is from Rob Cabrera: "#HiddenFences- 3 brilliant African American #STEM women unite to help #DenzelWashington get to outer space. #GoldenGlobes"

• Love 8

Saw it on Saturday night and really enjoyed it. The three leads were brilliant and hearing that the film finished in first this weekend made me smile.

Echoing others in here, how many more stories of black women currently sit untold while we get millions of stories about white men smh?

• Love 9

I saw this over the weekend and it was amazing. These stories that get left out of history books deserve to be told. I'm not surprised by the box office numbers because our theater was packed to the point that we had to sit in the second row, and at the end of the movie, everyone applauded. I'm hoping that it wins something at other award shows after not winning at the Golden Globes last night.

• Love 6
On 2017-01-08 at 3:56 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

Like others here, I am wondering how many more stories there are like this - stories of people who helped to make history but were left out of the history books due to prejudice. Probably too many to count.

Not being American there's at least more of a reason for me to not know these particular stories, but the point still stands - there is bound to be so many stories like them, and I want more.

Loved this. Especially Taraji P. Henson, she was just fantastic. Loved how the scene where she got up during that briefing for the first time to do the math mirrored the scene when she was little and in school; I just found that really touching. And I wasn't sold on Janelle Monáe at first, but she had me at the court scene.

Really appreciated that one exchange between Dorothy and Kirsten Dunst's character in the bathroom:

"Despite what you might think, I have nothing against y'all."

"I know. I know you probably believe that."

Nail on the head.

• Love 24
On 1/7/2017 at 9:53 PM, double-elvis said:

Thanks for posting that. I have to say it kind of bugs me that such an intelligent woman would run with all those books just to use the restroom.  Like how much reading was she going to do while running or the 30 second it takes to urinate.  

Otherwise it was a really nice film.  All the actors were good and the story didn't get too bogged down either with their personal live or their professional lives so a good mixture.

Edited by marymon
  • Love 4

Great, great movie (kinda surprised by how good Janelle Monae is, Taraji and Octavia were great, but that wasn't a surprise.), but there was one major boner that I can't believe made it through editing: When Shepard went up, the announcer said, "The rocket will reach an altitude of 129 miles per hour." 

Uhhh, that's not an altitude.

• Love 2

I loved this movie. I figured a lot of things were dramatized, but it was wonderful to see the stories of these remarkable women told on screen. The theater was almost full and it was an ethnically diverse group. People cheered and clapped throughout the movie and at the end. 

• Love 6

I saw this yesterday and I loved it. I don't think it broke any molds in terms of storytelling, but it was an interesting story told in a way that is comforting and expected with solid acting bringing life to the characters. My whole (packed) theatre was into it. You could hear people ohhh-ing at some of the best lines. Taraji, Janel and Octavia were all pitch perfect.

There were clearly things put in there for dramatics and to tell a very big story in a very short period of time but I can forgive the "based on a true story" extras because I do think capturing the spirit of something is more important in a fictional movie than capturing the facts. I do want to see it get some nominations, but I don't know if its really strong enough to win anywhere. Costumes, maybe? I was fascinated by how Katherine dressed in that room full of while shirts and black ties. I got so much of her character from some of those choices.

• Love 3

I saw this yesterday and loved it. I'm not in STEM but I'm often 'the only one" at work (though not at my current job, which delights me), so this was speaking to me on so many different levels. Also, I need the blue, green, and purple dress Janelle Monae wore immediately.

I was so happy for Katherine and her daughters when Jim proposed. That delighted me. 

By far the line that affected me the most was Dorothy's "I know. I know you probably believe that." That was a mic drop. Still true. If I had a dollar for every "I'm not racist but [insert racist AF thing here]" I've heard...

• Love 16
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

By far the line that affected me the most was Dorothy's "I know. I know you probably believe that." That was a mic drop.

The audience, let out this huge shared "mmmhhhmmm" at that moment. It was not an audience of all black women, but at that moment, it sure sounded like it.

I never hear people clap at the end of movies, I saw LaLa Land yesterday, and it was a dribble of "hmm, good" as people walked out. This movie? The crowd was moved, in unison. I was crying three minutes in, when little Katherine goes to the chalkboard. I just wanted to protect her forever and ever. I probably cried 9 times, and fake John Glenn was a hottie. 

• Love 22
On 1/14/2017 at 5:57 AM, marymon said:

Thanks for posting that. I have to say it kind of bugs me that such an intelligent woman would run with all those books just to use the restroom.  Like how much reading was she going to do while running or the 30 second it takes to urinate.  

It also bothered me that she was allowed to take classified documents out of the building.

• Love 6

I just watched it. Yes, I could nitpick a few things. But I loved it so very much. All of it. I can't believe it took so bloody long to honor them publicly.

I also never really thought about how people were sent to space with barely a computer. Math by hand!

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3

I loved this movie. I'm angry that I have never heard of these amazing women until a few months ago, I'm so very glad that their story didn't get lost in history. 

This was such a great movie and the performances were amazing. I'm going to go see it again. 

• Love 8

Just saw this. Absolutely wonderful performances from everyone. I also never heard of any of these women until I started hearing about the movie; then the episode of Timeless. The courage, intelligence and persistence of these women is awe inspiring. The three main actresses were all terrific as was the supporting cast ("Hardison!" "Sheldon!"). I want this movie to win awards dammit!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, AuntieL said:

I want this movie to win awards dammit!

I'm actually quite annoyed that I haven't seen any real awards buzz for it. This would honestly be my pick for both Best Actress for Taraji P Henson and Best Picture.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Schweedie said:

I'm actually quite annoyed that I haven't seen any real awards buzz for it. This would honestly be my pick for both Best Actress for Taraji P Henson and Best Picture.

Octavia Spencer seems to have gotten the most nominations, which, given that she already has an Oscar, is perhaps unsurprising.  Also, she should have gotten another nomination for Fruitvale Station and didn't, and I wonder if that's part of it.

But a lot of what has been announced was before the movie turned out to be a legitimate hit, so I'm not going to be surprised if it gains steam going into the Oscar nominations.  I figure it's a shoe-in for at least Best Adapted Screenplay, and probably has a good chance of winning that.

• Love 2

I adored this film and I love Taraji P. Henson - but I did not love Taraji P. Henson in this film.  She was the weakest actress in the trio. Her Katherine was all over the place.  However, I felt the same about her best actress competition Natalie Portman in Jackie. 

I'm waiting for the AU fanfic where Katherine and hottie John Glenn get it on in zero-g. 

• Love 5