Type keyword(s) to search

Paul Hollywood: Blue Eyed Baker

• Start Topic

I'm not sure how I feel about him. He seems out of place in an otherwise gentle show. I do like that he is no-nonsense, was a commercial baker, and that he allows the hosts to make jokes at his expense.  You can see Mary adores him, BUT I just feel someone warmer / kinder would fit better.

• Love 2

I'm not sure how I feel about him. He seems out of place in an otherwise gentle show. I do like that he is no-nonsense, was a commercial baker, and that he allows the hosts to make jokes at his expense.  You can see Mary adores him, BUT I just feel someone warmer / kinder would fit better.

With the return of the Great British Sewing Bee, I'm reminded how much better this type of show can be with a judge like Patrick Grant. The designer is picky but with a sense of humor and does a good job of balancing frank criticism with cheesy jokes. 

Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart!  PAUL, PAUL, PAUL!!!  How I wish he would examine my crumb and find it to be exactly to his liking.  Tap my crust and say that it's nice and firm.  Look me up and down, and declare my layers to be all evenly stacked.  With a threatening expression tinged with anger, bore a hole through my eyes, swallow, and declare, "Absolutely perfect!"

Be still my heart!

• Love 5

Hmff!  At the time of the American Baking Championships (in TN, I think), I didn't have a clue as to who Paul was.  It was only after watching the British show that I learned more about him.  So, HE'S the one who was romping around with Marcella!  Say it isn't so!!!  And to think that I went on and on, rhapsodizing about him in the post above!  Marcella is the inspiration for the song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!"

Well, so much for Paul.  And he's married?  I just read a little blurb about it at the time, so I've missed all the details.  Anyone care to fill me in?  TIA.  Scoundrel!

Well, so much for Paul.  And he's married?  I just read a little blurb about it at the time, so I've missed all the details.  Anyone care to fill me in?  TIA.  Scoundrel!

He's still married. He had the affair, went back to Britain, and got a lot bad press about it for a couple years. However, he still wrote books and made TV shows. He kept his private life private. It's blown over now in the media.

• Love 1

I like him much better on the British version of the show. And I'm getting a kick out of his accent, like the way he says things like 'perfect' and 'banana'. (Sorry, can't do the orthography.)

Edited by Quilt Fairy

"Bake Off judge Paul Hollywood reveals shock secret health battle" http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/609156/Paul-Hollywood-OCD-health-Great-British-Bake-Off

Paul, 49, revealed he "suffers from OCD" when baking and cleans his beloved Aston Martin "every couple of hours". He also admitted he loves the motor "a little bit too much".…

His comments were made on his one-off BBC2 car show Licence To Thrill: Paul Hollywood Meets Aston Martin, which will be aired at 8pm on Sunday.

Here's more about his car show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/db53852d-e36b-413a-99fa-6cb0a17d2504

Edited by editorgrrl

Paul Hollywood was one of the guests on last week's Graham Norton show, which I believe hasn't been aired on BBC America yet? Anyway he shared a few anecdotes related to Bake-Off and Mary. They are currently in the middle of production of series 7. The appearance was to promote his new show 'Paul Hollywood City Bakes' on UK Foodnetwork though. 

Speaking of which, he was on Sue's panel quiz show 'Insert Name Here' a couple of months ago, too. Poor Hollywood was the butt of the joke through the show, mostly initiated by Sue. :D He may not look like a particularly affable person, but he seems to take jokes about himself rather easy.

• Love 2
(edited)
On April 25, 2016 at 7:41 AM, sum said:

Paul Hollywood was one of the guests on last week's Graham Norton show, which I believe hasn't been aired on BBC America yet? Anyway he shared a few anecdotes related to Bake-Off and Mary.

It finally aired on BBC America. I loved this clip (NSFW): 

Spoiler

Edited by editorgrrl
spoiler tags to hide a squirrel's genitalia
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

It finally aired on BBC America. I loved this clip (NSFW): 

Reveal hidden contents

From the GNS thread, 'And for crying out loud, why did BBC America blur the testicles on the squirrel?' Seriously!! 
Lily James and Richard Madden reciting the lines said by Mary and Paul on GBBO and watching Paul being so embarrassed by it was hilarious too.

• Love 3

So Ruby has managed to be both rather sharp and blunt in her criticism of Hollywood on social media.  Which is kind of interesting as wasn't she given a rather hard time during her season with speculation that the only reason she won star baker and acclaim was because Hollywood had the hots for her and favored her for her looks and youth?  Ruby really seems to loathe him.  Makes me wonder if Hollywood was pushing his own sense of keenness in a way that made her uncomfortable.  I think Hollywood is wrapped up in his blue eyed image silver fox image that the tabloids slathered on him when the show took off and I think he could easily find the fantasy of the pretty contestant having a slight tendre for him enthralling to the point of actually buying into it.  Just to bolster his ego.  Though he has shown to be a dog that buries his bone in inappropriate places so maybe he is the type that simply puts it out there even if he knows better than to act on it after his States self sluttish romp.  Ruby obviously had no interest but I wonder if Hollywood wants to be the stud on the set even if he doesn't act on it (I wouldn't be surprised if his wife put a lock on his junk each time filming starts) and is oblivious to the fact that the contestants have no interest in furthering the myth of the Hollywood hotness.

• Love 2

She was given a hard time for supposedly flirting with him during judging, which pissed her off because she's gay, but wasn't out at the time. That said, her subsequent criticisms have been, to my eye, specific enough about what annoyed her about him that I don't think it really has much to do with the flack she got and more to do with how he behaved on set in general.

• Love 2

Paul's hosting a new show that just started last night (Sunday) on Food Network in the US. It's called Bakers vs. Fakers & it's basically a baking-oriented version of another FN US show, Cooks vs. Cons (which Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian hosts).

The point is, the judges have to see if they can pick the professional bakers (or cooks, in the other show) from among the 4 the show starts with, based solely on how they prepare certain dishes--do they think their technique(s) is something a pro would use or not. Each round eliminates 1 until the last 2 (or 3, I never remember) are left. Then at some point before the end, they vote on the winner from among those left, without knowing if they're a pro or not. If the judges select a pro, they win a certain amount of $; fakes who are chosen win a slightly bigger $ prize.

New eps are on at 9PM Eastern/8PM Central Sunday nights. That appears to be the only timeslot it's being run in & I also don't know how many more episodes there are... Sorry.

• Love 1

The show had a 'preview' tag in the upper corner and I can't find any listings for additional episodes. Bacon may be the only show we get.

As I'm in the middle of the current Bake Off season, this Cooks vs. Cons spinoff was pretty jarring with its typical Food Network pace. I thought it was pretty painful with a couple of good moments. Paul Hollywood seemed rushed as a host, more knowledgeable than the judges and I wonder if the tape was sped up a fraction because his voice was higher than normal. I did find it funny when he arched his eyebrow and flat out asked the contestant openly addressing the home audience who she was talking to. Hollywood definitely seemed more at ease when checking in with the contestants.

Apple pie with a bacon shortbread crust. Yum.

I never saw any publicity for Bakers vs. Fakers so I was a bit flabbergasted when it opened and I saw Paul Hollywood standing there.  B vs. F doesn't compare in any way to GBBS but I was happy to see him and hope the show is continued.  I wonder what FN had to do to get him.

11 minutes ago, mlp said:

I never saw any publicity for Bakers vs. Fakers so I was a bit flabbergasted when it opened and I saw Paul Hollywood standing there.  B vs. F doesn't compare in any way to GBBS but I was happy to see him and hope the show is continued.  I wonder what FN had to do to get him.

Maybe they had to get rid of Marcella?  I was rather stunned to see Paul on a FN show.

I just checked the FN schedule for next Sunday, and it appears that B vs. F might have been a one-off. There is a baking competition show on next Sunday (Worst Bakers in America). Its baking experts are Duff Goldman and Lorraine Pascale. Hollywood would never deign to stoop so low. 

Worst Bakers in America is more a comedy show than anything.  The first episode was yesterday before B vs. F.  I doubt there's any relationship between those two shows.

I can't imagine that FN would pay for Paul to come to NYC for one show so I'm guessing that was a pilot and more are in the works or Paul came to work on some project we don't know about yet and made a trial B vs. F while he was there.

Paul was in the NYC last winter to film his show "City Bakes" for FN UK so he does have a relationship with FN and he probably used their fixers and connections to FN USA to do that show.

• Love 1

Coming late to the party in the US. I have been slightly baffled by references to Paul as some kind of hotty. Just didn't see it at all. Now I am watching one of the "masterclass" episodes, and he's baking. And now I see it. 

• Love 3

Paul is a serious petrolhead. He even admitted a car-related OCD. He's done a few one-off car/motor racing themed shows before. One of which was about a racing legend John Surtees which I thoroughly enjoyed as someone who admire the man. 
Big Continental Road Trip is a fun little show that follows a car enthusiast having a blast. It received all around favorable reviews despite the fact that his popularity may have been at an all time low for joining C4 team. So if you're interested, I recommend giving it a try.

Paul Hollywood : A Baker's Life

This 4-episode series is currently airing on Channel 4 UK Mondays at 8PM and is promoting his book of the same name. 

Episode 1 (11/25/2017) : Pizza, Roulade , & Madeira Cake

Paul bakes a pistachio and rose petal roulade and shares his ultimate pizza recipe.  Back in the Bake Off tent with Prue Leith, Paul bakes a madeira celebration cake decorated by Noel and Sandi.

Episode 2 (12/04/2017) : Ginger Biscuits, Baps, & Shortbread

Paul returns to his Merseyside roots and family.  On the menu: ginger biscuits, coconut tray bake, millionaire's shortbread, and his dad's floury baps.

Episode 3 (12/11/2017) : Pork Pie, Donuts, & Danish Pastries

Paul looks back at his early career, from an apprentice baker to working at a five star stately home.  On the menu this time are fresh fruit donuts, pork pie and Danish pastries.

Episode 4 (12/18/2017) : Cyprus, Baklava, & Village Bread

Paul heads for Cyprus, where he lived for six years. He's reunited with friends and makes a classic ham and cheese croissant, baklava, spanakopita, and a Cypriot village bread.

Paul does talk about Mary, Mel, & Sue leaving the show when Channel 4 bought the show rights ... from his perspective.

Edited by RealityCheck
Pre-maturely saved post
  • Love 1

I watched the first episode of A Bakers Life. 

Did anybody else think that Paul’s voice sounded a bit different when he was doing the voiceovers instead of talking to the camera?  Nothing major, just a little more inflection on some words. (Maybe it’s just me)

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Turned on Cooking Channel this morning to see a show called Paul Hollywood City Bakes. He was in Naples and the Amalfi Coast. Decent show. First I'd heard of it.

I watched this series last year and it is pretty good. His passion for baking really shines and I enjoyed the locales. 

• Love 1

I'm watching older seasons of GBBO in my kindle and please don't be shocked, but I'm watching Dr Pimple Pooper on YouTube also. Anywho, I have diagnosed Paul with 2 or 3 cysts in his forehead& he needs to go see Dr Sandra Lee and get them removed. They are so distracting. This is what happens during super hot weather! Too much crazy tv watching.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2015 at 4:36 PM, GaT said:

Is his real name Paul Hollywood? That doesn't sound like a real last name.

I went to elementary school with a kid named Kenny Hollywood, and it was his real name. Although this being L.A., it easily could have been fake, but it was real.

A fair amount of what Paul asks for is quite difficult to pull off in a small “kitchen” and domestic appliances. I remember him getting pissy because contestant’s rolls had fused together in the oven, but what did he expect them to do?

Yep I get cranky about their lack of space. The ovens seem too small (but I'm an American so what do I know), the work surface is too narrow from front to back & way too cluttered. It seems the bakers could benefit from a table behind them that was empty --- just for spreading out. I realize the tent would then be huge, but their work surfaces now are so messy. And each baker ought to have her/his own frig/freezer.