Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: The Tipping Point

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Amber, who fears that she's developed a new addiction to food, consults a doctor about her weight; Farrah wants to open a frozen yogurt shop; Tyler worries that Catelynn has fallen back into bad habits; and Ryan leaves home after a fight with his dad.

More like, "Tyler worries that Catelynn is going to ruin his time by not having the decency to be a perfectly-programmed-for-Tyler wife."

Edited by Katt
  • Love 13

The preview clip for this episode is heartbreaking. 

Spoiler

When Jen and Larry's cute relationship is strained due to Ryan being a little asshat - not sure if this was at the time of the kitty kat slayings, but damn. I know Jen needs to stop enabling her son but she is too caring to be dealing with this added stress. You'd think this would wake Ryan up knowing that he's bringing his mom to tears with his antics or laziness.

And Tyler STFU!

• Love 9

What about the time Tyler drove Catelynn to tears when he said he would completely risk having the adoption closed so he could talk shit about B&T on camera? Did the producers make him say that nasty shit? Of course they didn't. That was all Tyler because he didn't want to silence his voice even if meant depriving his wife of having a relationship with the child he pressured her to give away. 

I do love how he says nothing about the producers until he started getting called out this season. Don't bite the hand that feeds you, Tyler. Or do, because I would love to watch you crash and burn. 

• Love 23

Ok, there's so much to say about this episode (Amber's weight loss plan, Farrah's job interviews, did I hear something about Matt playing professional baseball?) but for now all I can focus on is this: I know the producers prompt these discussions with "friends" but I am sure that Tyler could say "no I'm sorry but I won't discuss my wife's mental health with my friend on camera."  I mean what the fuck?!  If I'm Catelyn watching this episode, I'm furious.  I would be so upset if my husband talked about my personal problems with his friends like that, on or off camera.  He is so terrible

ah thank you @CofCinci for clearing that up!

Edited by poopchute
  • Love 16

My husband just rolled over in bed and said "what is that dude on, look at his eyes!!"  Wow.  He was super fucked up. I guess that explains Larry's comments but how is Jen sitting there with him like he's normal?!

• Love 21
7 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Ryan's eyes!!!  OMFG!  High as fuq!

18k2m2thauh5kjpg.jpg

OMG THIS TIMES INFINITY.  Man, I was just coming here to say that.  My Gosh, Ryan's eyes were looking like they were going to pop right out of his head.  Love the Barbra meme.  Thanks for that!

• Love 16

Well at least this answers the question of whether the teen moms are allowed to cook while filming.  They are!!! Why couldn't Amber cook chicken and vegetables for her family instead of letting her daughter eat shit fast food while she cooks for herself? How much effort is it to throw two more pieces of chicken on the grill?

How about those poor animals shrieking while penned up wherever the fuck she keeps them. Poor dogs.  And Amber just screaming back at them.  So nice!

• Love 24

Regarding Tyler and Cate - I don't think it's good (unprofessional) that T & C see the same therapist for individual counseling/therapy.  I think they should be seeing two separate counselors unless they are in couples therapy.  My GF went to a therapist and raved how amazing the therapist was.  Shortly after that my GF's mother decided she needed therapy and starting seeing the same therapist.

Shortly after that my GF's mother started making snarky comments to her, backhanded comments, etc.   The therapist told some very private things regarding my GF that no one else knew to the mother.  My friend was positively devasted.  The mother had a big mouth and started flapping her jaws to friends and family.  It crushed my friend.  I told my GF she should report the therapist and hunt for a new one.

I say this because I think Tyler and Kate's therapist is dippy.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 16

Oh geeze. I have a lot to say, but I'll keep this short...

* I like Tyler about as much as I like a brown recluse crawling up my arm. But during that scene with the "therapist" I actually thought HE was making better points. Yes, I realize that mental illness affects everyone in the family but Tyler was right...Cate needs to get help for HER, or else it won't get better. Going back and telling her how it affects him and mildly threatening her won't get either of them anywhere. 

* Farrah. 40 hours is, like, 3 days. WTF? Setup in 5 minutes? Hell, it takes me that long to scoop the little toppings onto my froyo. 

*Riiine. Removing my observation because I am starting to take the quoting and picking apart of my opinion personally.

*Cate. Again, I was on Tyler's side when she claimed to be bored and he asked her if her phone was interesting. Damn you, Tyler, for making a good point. 

*Tyler. On the other hand, he's always on his damn phone as well. So pot, meet kettle. 

*Amber. I got nothin'. 

Edited by mamadrama
Less is more
  • Love 14

I normally don't stand up for Tyler but I think it is a bunch of crap he was told he can't really say anything to Cate.  So he is supposed to watch her lay on the couch and never get to discuss how this might impact their relationship?  She has a responsibility to herself, daughter, and husband to at least try.  There was no reason to go to that center only to come home and have no follow up treatment .

Matt makes me sick.

Ryan makes me sick.  If Jen can watch that situation of Ryan not engaging with Bentley and think all is well she needs to open her eyes.  His eyes say there is something very wrong.

I knew Farrah in her glasses would make the show summary.  Lol!

• Love 12

Ryan asked Bentley the same question about his game twice in that brief segment. I know the timelines can be wonky but that coupled with his eyes are very concerning. I hope that he is ok. I also hope that Jen and Larry stay strong as a couple because they are just about the best part of the show and Bentley's life.

• Love 20

Anything Tyler says.. he is pretty much living the same life as Cate so really, I roll my eyes. God, he's a jerk.

Maci: Yeah, I wish she wasn't about talking about the Jen and Larry situation. It may be affecting her because it affects Bentley and here in mind, her too by extension but.. I think she knows aside from that, there's nothing going on in her story on the show? She, out of the four girls on this version has the most healthy stable family and things going on seem good, Ryan is the only drama going on and it's not.. her drama? Despite what her friend said about Ryan being her fourth child? makes no sense to me. She and Ryan hardly speak for the most part. Most of Maci's drop off encounters are with Jen and Larry, Ryan sits there and says hello but aside from that...? they don't engage with each other. Whatever. But Maci has nothing going on without their story. Which makes me sad for Jen and Larry. I feel for both, but I think Larry has had enough. Ryan has always been like this and Larry just can't do it anymore.

Amber: I have nothing to say, everyone else already has.

Farrah: Is she going to wear those glasses every episode? Because if so, I will never be able to hear her scenes because I'll be laughing though all of them!

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Meatball said:

Farrah's questions were inappropriate. Is she allowed to ask if they have kids or who they live with? 

No!  And she also asked the gal her age, which is also not allowed.  In fact, all these questions are illegal, as another poster pointed out.

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, Meatball said:

Not that I'd know anything about being high but I think Riiiine was definitely showing signs of something else being wrong. His pupils were so round? It seemed like a neurological problem.

• Love 8

Farrah would know an applicant's age by looking at the girl's  job application. What she is not allowed to do is hire a minor and have them work 13 hour days. She is also not allowed to ask personal questions such as if an applicant has kids and how that may interfere with the job if they should be hired.

Jesus, Cate's thighs are huge in the preview.

Leah is headed to childhood obesity with all that junk food she eats.

Amber is so fucking lazy. So is Cate.

Matt is still skeevy. Simon is absent.

Tyler can eat shit.

Sophia looks like Linda Blair in The Exorcist. I am just waiting for her head to spin.

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 14

So sad that Jen is caught in the middle of Larry's and Ryan's fight. It is very hard for a mom to be in that position because she can't choose a side being she loves both equally. That being said, Larry surprised me with his level of anger. I could never say those things about my son no matter what he did. And then he projected some of his anger toward Jen with his "if she don't like it, she can pack her shit and leave." Larry, noooo!

• Love 12

Ah Larry. I get all your issues with Ryan but don't take it out on Jen. I know she cuddles him but don't mean to her. They are literally the only relationship I support or care about on either show.

That therapist looks like Catelynn in 5 to 10 years.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 8

I've been trying to post the opening shot of Ryan sitting on the sofa with the crazy eyes, but can't seem to do it. Regardless, I think Maci dodged a bullet. 

The scene with Ryan's folks was a little heart breaking for me. I think Ryan is likely suffering from some type of mental illness, at the very least depression. Possibly using drugs. And that's draining on families. What Larry said about Ryan was cruel, but it seems to me that they're good parents, although I can't speak to what Larry was like to Ryan as a kid and how that might have affected him. 

I am personally dealing with my brother, who is now a 55 year old single man, living alone in an RV after a stint of homelessness. He's been a pothead since his teens and my mom never drew the line anywhere with him and he walked all over her. She supported him well into his 30's and rescued him whenever he got into any trouble. He never grew up and learned how to take care of himself and now he is paying the price. He got tired of being a parent and dropped his son off with his son's maternal grandmother and she raised him with zero support from my brother. His son wants nothing to do with him, in fact, my nephew had to have open heart surgery a few years ago and when my brother got wind of this he drove up to the hospital and caused a giant scene and security had to remove him from the hospital. His partner of 17 years left him years ago because of his laziness, lies and drug use. Then she died unexpectedly and he has never mourned her loss properly and he spends his days talking to scammers on Facebook who are promising him love if he sends them money. He has no money so he doesn't even get scammed, they just move on when they realize he has nothing. My brother blames everyone for his problems, nothing is his fault and we have had to keep distance with him because he is abusive no matter how we try to help. I bet that is where Larry is, and Jen to a lesser degree. I hope they charge him rent wherever he's staying and that he doesn't get a free ride, because it will destroy his life. He needs help and he needs to grow up. Larry was too hard, Jen maybe not enough. Ryan used to be a good looking kid with girlfriends and now he's lost his looks and he seems more isolated than ever. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, starrynola said:

I'm sad for Sophia's fraggle rock self.  

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

14 hours ago, GreatKazu said:

Jesus, Cate's thighs are huge in the preview.

I noticed that, too. She had climbed atop Tyler like an enormous sad sack of cement.

Tyler looked horrendous this episode. I have never thought he's the least bit attractive, but in the "therapy" scene he resembled a bloated, ill kielbasa. I wanted to put pickle slices on my eyes like Sophia did so I wouldn't have to see.

Maci lying on the couch saying "I haven't heard from Rahn." Same thing every episode for years.

I'm SO sorry that Amber got worn out opening a can of beans. Which reminds me, yesterday before school my daughter (9) was relaxing until it was time to leave. She said "I can't get up from the couch!!" Me: "Okay, Amber." Daughter: "Who?" Me: "Okay, Amber." Daughter: "WHAT?" Me: "Okay, Amber." Daughter: "Huh?" Me: "Okay, Amber." Daughter: "WHO IS AMBER?" And on it went until 7:50 a.m.

I watched Ryan's scene a few times and I admit I laughed the first time, and I think the second time. It reminded me of when Calvin drew black dots on ping pong balls and put them on his eyes so his teacher would think he's really paying attention (Hobbes concluded that he looked TOO interested that way.) I don't even know what to think now. If I had never seen Ryan I would say he is not playing with a full deck, perhaps born that way or perhaps from a blow to the skull. I haven't seen a stoned person look quite that wide-eyed.

20161010_223825_HDR (2).jpg

Edited by AhFillAck
  • Love 20

See? I really don't think that's the result of (illegal) drugs. And I don't think Jen would bring Bintley over and sit there and attempt to have a normal conversation if she knew Riiine was voluntarily high off his ass, especially if something major had just recently gone down with Larry. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Emmierose said:

That seems like an odd diet that Amber is on and not necessarily a healthy lifestyle change. 

That's because it's not a normal diet, it's a pre-bariatric surgery diet. I suspected it when she was vague about her "weight loss doctor" so when she said three ounces of meat, it pinged in my head because my mom had the same surgery a couple of years ago. What's interesting is that she's at the tail end of her pre-op treatment. In general, most insurers/practices want you to have at least two psychiatrist appointments to make sure you have reasonable expectations and want you to work with a nutritionist for 6 weeks to assess your trigger foods and get you accustomed to smaller portions. But the high protein meal replacement bars/shakes, 3 oz. of meat and small portion of overcooked, non-starchy vegetables? That's the 2-week pre-op diet. It's done to ensure there's no excess fat around the liver and spleen when they operate. Within a week, she'll have to cut it down to just broths, sugar-free, non-carbonated drinks and super thin cream of wheat. This definitely wasn't the "oh, I think I'll just talk to my doctor real quick" kind of visit they were trying to portray it as.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, mamadrama said:

*Riiine. I have never liked the dude. I wouldn't put him on the same level of Tyler, but he's always been a jerk and a bit of a slacker. I do not think he is "high," though. At least not illegally. I DO, now at least, think he is heavily medicated and now I am definitely on the "brain damage" bandwagon. I think he suffered some injuries during the car wreck and now it's all kind of an unspoken secret between the family. Nobody really talks about it, but they all know something is up. When the producer chick was asking him about the argument and why he moved out, he couldn't even answer the questions.I don't think it was because he didn't want to in front of the cameras; it appeared as though he honestly COULDN'T. I've gone from being annoyed at him to feeling quite a bit of sympathy. And even more sympathy for Jen & Larry. 

I didn't watch the episode but saw the sneak peek with Larry and Jen, I seriously doubt Larry would have kicked Ryan out and said the things he said if Ryan's behavior was due to a medical reason.  

From the clips I watched Ryan looked like he had been up for multiple nights tweaking. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

I didn't watch the episode but saw the sneak peek with Larry and Jen, I seriously doubt Larry would have kicked Ryan out and said the things he said if Ryan's behavior was due to a medical reason.  

From the clips I watched Ryan looked like he had been up for multiple nights tweaking. 

True. Still, that injury might have sent him off the edge and severely impacted his decision making skills, which could have led to the other crap he has pulled. He just looks unhealthy to me and not ALL in a drugged-put way. I live in one of the most drug impacted counties in the country. Throw a rock and you hit a meth lab. But, to me,it looks like more is going on with Ryan. I've had brain surgery. He looks and acts like he's on something, but he also looks and acts like those I've known with brain injuries, including myself. (FWIW, my surgery helped my condition, and I was born with it. It wasn't due to an accident.)

• Love 8

Boss Farrah is the stuff of nightmares.  I can't even.  

@luvly you may have hit it out of the park (like semi-pro Sully) with the baratric surgery idea!  I think Sully had on one of Maci's pocket T shirts at one point, no?  

Cate and Tyler...ugh.  And Tyler's Mom.  Double ugh.

Maci and  Riine.  You'all said it.  

• Love 4

Bentley's behavior at Ryan's said it all; poor kid knows Ryan doesn't give a shit about him and here he has to spend time with him on Father's day when he could have spent that time with the men in his life who actually care.

I don't think Ryan has some sort of brain damage because Larry wouldn't have reacted the way he did. I don't see Larry riding him about being a bum if Ryan were disabled.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, luvly said:

That's because it's not a normal diet, it's a pre-bariatric surgery diet. I suspected it when she was vague about her "weight loss doctor" so when she said three ounces of meat, it pinged in my head because my mom had the same surgery a couple of years ago. What's interesting is that she's at the tail end of her pre-op treatment. In general, most insurers/practices want you to have at least two psychiatrist appointments to make sure you have reasonable expectations and want you to work with a nutritionist for 6 weeks to assess your trigger foods and get you accustomed to smaller portions. But the high protein meal replacement bars/shakes, 3 oz. of meat and small portion of overcooked, non-starchy vegetables? That's the 2-week pre-op diet. It's done to ensure there's no excess fat around the liver and spleen when they operate. Within a week, she'll have to cut it down to just broths, sugar-free, non-carbonated drinks and super thin cream of wheat. This definitely wasn't the "oh, I think I'll just talk to my doctor real quick" kind of visit they were trying to portray it as.

Maybe she is getting ready for another surgery, but 3 ounces of meat is commonly recommended as a healthy portion size for meat for any sort of diet....the size of a deck of cards.

• Love 6

So Amber has decided she needs to lose weight. Because if she's fat and lays around on the couch all day and has some deadbeat loser wait on her hand and foot, that's just not as inspirational as when she's skinny and lays around on the couch all day and has some deadbeat loser wait on her hand and foot. Right. And I loved when Matt was all, "I don't care if she's 900lbs" - oh, we know you don't. Because you're leeching off of her "fame" and money. You don't give two figs about what she looks like. She could be a haggard old troll and you'd "love" her anyway. 

Next step - to covertly see the "nutritional expert"/"diet specialist"/"weight loss doctor"/"i'm going to keep using quotes because I really doubt the authenticity of this person". Why meet off camera? HIPPA? Or were you selling some shit? Because it was kind of weird that Amber got back into the car with a drink in hand. And now she's to drink two of those a day, in lieu of meals. I don't know about anyone else, but when I think of a meal replacement drink, I think of something that looks more substantial. A smoothie or shake, something think. That was a pretty lightweight looking PINK drink. (I'm getting a real Plexus vibe here, if nobody knows where I'm going.) But I just don't get why she can't still have three meals a day, as long as they're healthy meals? Drinking your meals sounds like a dangerous way to jumpstart weight loss. Not a sustainable lifestyle change. 

And even her one meal looked NASTY. Were those green beans from a can? Girl, I only use those for Thanksgiving green bean casserole. Has she never heard of FRESH veggies? Veggies don't have to be bland and nasty. If she keeps going like that, she won't make it a week. Especially not with Matt getting Steak and Shake. He's soooo supportive of her, while he slurps on his big shake. 

I did enjoy Kristina and Leah giving Gary his Father's Day gifts. Who knew he was a coin collector! 

I also enjoyed Bentley making that sign for Taylor. What a sweet kid. Notice he had no thoughts of making anything for Ryan. He didn't even seem like he wanted to SEE Ryan. He looked really depressed to be over there. Maybe if Ryan took an active interest in his life. Instead he kept asking him the same questions about his game over and over, like a senile old uncle. "You get any good hits in, sonny boy?" And, also like a senile old uncle, he was totally nodding off during that scene. Something is going on with that dude. Ask Leah Messer what she was on, because Ryan's using the same shit. 

I really don't know what to think about the big fight, since we didn't see it. Ryan claims he doesn't remember what it was about - either because he's too drugged out, or he's trying to save face. I'm pretty sure Larry didn't kick him out over Allen wrenches. But I get the impression that not only has Ryan been lying, but Jen's been lying for him. When Larry told her that she better not lie to him about selling the house, there was a bitterness there, as if she's done it before. It made me feel really sad for Larry. Because I'm now getting the impression that Jen has always put her son first and it's caused a real rift in the family. Ugh, I just hate the whole thing. 

And I really hate that Ryan is trying to use Bentley as some sort of pawn in all this.Who is HE to decide Bentley can't visit his grandparents anymore? He's never around!!! 

Farrah and her yogurt shop are so hilarious. What frozen yogurt store needs a mascot? And a thousand tiny mascots? That coba the boba thing was frightening. But I shouldn't say anything, because we all know Farrah has mastered the art of manufacturing. I mean, she just wants a team of people who are making families happier and healthier. (NVM how unhappy and unhealthy HER own family is.)

I mean, seriously, I don't live Debra and Michael but they do A LOT for her. They're basically her unpaid servants and she is constantly nasty and condescending to them. I'd feel sorry for them, but they basically created this monster. 

It's so obvious Farrah doesn't know what the fucks she's doing. She didn't even come up with this idea on her own,but apparently bought an existing shop from someone else. She even hired a former employee!!! Who, by the way, seems to know much more about running a yogurt shop than Farrah. But is Farrah going to listen? NO, she's going to keep operating under the illusion that she can open in 5 minutes. Bah! I can't wait to see this fail.

I don't want to comment too much on Tyler. He's sickening to me. Quit bitching about editing. You said what you said. How about the scenes where he meets with his mom just to talk smack about Cate? Or when he meets with his therapist....to talk smack about Cate??? At this point, he's getting more scenes than the actual Teen Mom and someone needs to finally knock him off his high horse once and for all. 

Tyler is just as much of a "log" as Catelynn. What has HE done with his life? Besides wear a wife beater to therapy? Fucking loser. 

• Love 20

Cate has no chance if she sticks with Tyler. He's threatening to check out and become "hardened" but he's already done both. She has an addiction and she won't be able to address it and overcome it while he's still using  and they're living together. She's self-medicating with pot and it's killing any motivation to "get better" and so it's a vicious cycle. She has to figure out some small changes to help with her self-esteem and go from there. She's 100% dependent on Tyler and he's a douchebag who's loving being the victim of her mental illness. It's painful to watch. 

• Love 6