Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E01: Margot Robbie / The Weeknd

• Start Topic

I'm actually happy about this. I posted over in the cast discussion thread how I think they've mostly whiffed on the Trump skits for the past year, because Darrell Hammond's impression is too outdated and toothless at this point, now that everyone can see the horrific, dangerous person that Trump has become. Darrell still plays him too laid-back, like he's the same, harmless billionaire who once hosted Celebrity Apprentice.

I think Baldwin can bring the nastiness, the racism and the heartlessness along with the stupidity and ignorance. I think maybe Lorne and everybody finally realized that something was missing too.

• Love 17

I think Baldwin can bring the nastiness, the racism and the heartlessness along with the stupidity and ignorance

I agree.  I'm happy with this, too.  I think Alec will be ruthless in the portrayal.    

Edited by vb68
  • Love 9

Also the childishness. There's a way to be insulting and mean, yet still seem like an adult and alpha(Phil Hartman's Frank Sinatra). Trump in the debate really came across as the  bully on the playground who wets himself if you stand up to him.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

Trump is the easy one.  I'm curious how they'll portray Hillary.  They haven't always thrown rose pedals in her direction. 

Cecily as former pageant queen Alisha Machado?

• Love 1

Hillary will be the same. Since the overwhelming takeaway is that she kicked his ass in the debate, I'm sure however they jab her, they'll still show that.

But I think they're going to be a lot more ruthless and uncompromising with Trump now, partly to make up for the impression that NBC has normalized how dangerous he is.

• Love 3

And we're back!

Cold Open: Of fucking course they open with the debate. When I was watching it, I was wondering that the writers were in panic mode trying to make it even more ridiculous than it already was. And my god did I think they delivered. Alec Baldwin killed it as Trump, as did Kate McKinnon as Hillary. Having her open with a Willie Wonka nod? Love. And yes, love that Che had to kinda break the fourth wall and outright say this WAS the actual tl-dr of the debate. I stil think Bush/Gore was the best debate sketch, but this one was definitely up there.

Monologue: I still need to see Suicide Squad (and I'll be seeing PLENTY of her Harleys at NYCC this week). Really liked this kind of monologue, everyone fact checking everything they did. 

Sinkhole: It's a "Kenan reacts to stuff" sketch. Seems like they decided to open with something tried and true. Crocs. With socks. Yeah, even Leslie Jones can't figure out why the hot woman was with a guy like Matt Shatt.

The Librarian: This got a lot funnier in slow motion. "Hayley Joel Osment NOW?"

Family Feud: Team Clinton vs Team Trump? I was hooked just based on the preview. Putin on Team Trump? Darrell as Bill Clinton in Family Feud? Cecily as Lin-Manuel Miranda? LARRY DAVID BACK AS BERNIE?! I didn't even need to see them play the game, I was fine with just the introductions.

WU: "Just Tang and Prunes." Colin & Che really gave a great rundown of the debate, and the national anthem stuff. And Kenan's Big Papi never fails to disappoint me. "I endorse Mints."

On 9/28/2016 at 4:01 PM, hendersonrocks said:

It's The Weeknd, technically! I wonder if we'll get another Weeknd Update.

You called it!

The Hunch Bunch: Live-Action Scooby-Doo without the talking dog. It was dull riiight up until Margot Robbie pulled out the gun.

Melania Moments: Fun. Should've been a runner.

Actor's Round Table: Hey, it's Sasheer! And yeah, just another sketch where Kate McKinnon is put into a funny outfit and just lets loose for a couple of minutes. No complaints here. It seems that Margot had trouble keeping it together.

Mr. Robot: The hardest case possible: Who hacked Leslie Jones? WHY WAS THIS SAVED FOR LAST?! I keep hearing this show is good.

Well, overall this was a great return. Can't wait for Lin-Manuel Miranda next week. I'll be at NYCC next week, I might be too tired to stay up for it, but we'll see.

• Love 6

Michael & Colin have come a LONG way. Weekend Update was great.

This was a decent premiere, the only thing missing were Jay & Taran.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 8

I loved the debate skit, especially the part where they have Kate's Hillary saying that Donald can just go ahead and take her two minutes.  Or the part where she drops her mouth when Alec's Donald starts talking about "the blacks" that she has to push it up again.

I also liked the "Fact Check" idea. It was a good monologue. Matt Shatt was silly but it made me laugh.  I loved the Family Feud impressions.  The Librarian was too weird for me and Weekend Update kind of bored me tonight.

I do think the last quick bit on Leslie's hack with Mr. Robot was my favorite little bit of the night.  So much goodness such as "unstable mind of a genius and the hacker she hired to help her" but especially when it's revealed that she's her own hacker.  I laughed so hard when Pete's Mr. Robot was confused that she was able to do it considering how complicated backing up photos onto a website would be given her computer skills. (Windows 95--tee hee.  And that desktop full of files.  Tee hee hee.)  It reminded me so much of how my mom will ask me to help her fix something on her phone or computer because she will accidentally do something to it and that something she does is so complicated.  I always wonder how she did it.  It's not like the things she does can be done by clicking one wrong button.  It's never that simple.

• Love 2

Looking forward to another season of getting my PreviouslyTV on with you lovely people!

The cold open was just so, SO good. Of course Kate crushed it as Hillary, but Alec Baldwin was so spot on as Trump. And yay for seeing Michael Che as Lester Holt! I was hoping to see him in more sketches this season, so seeing him in the cold open was great for me. 

Liked the opening monologue. The fact checking was funny. Cecily's was my favorite, but they were all good.

I think my fave sketches of the night were The Librarian (the slo mo cracked me up, and the transition of the librarian getting nastier was hilarious and disturbing), Family Feud (all of the impressions were great....lost it when "Donald Jr." and "Eric" popped up), and Weekend Update...least favorite sketch was The Hunch Bunch...don't think I laughed once.

First, shallow note, loving Jost's new suit and tie combo for the season! Dude was looking hella good. Che too! Cecily was hilariously unhinged as the undecided voter, and loved seeing Big Papi back...always one of my favorite WU bits! The endorseMINT was especially great. Really enjoyed Jost and Che taking on the debate as well. And The Weeknd Update was fantastic this episode! "I got a haircut..."

Margot Robbie was an awesome host! Really funny and seemed game for a lot! Super impressed with her. I adore that Leslie Jones was willing to poke fun at the whole hacking scandal that she went through this summer. I really missed Jay Pharoah and really, really missed Taran Killam...also..........................

WHY WASN'T VANESSA BAYER IN ANY SKETCHES TONIGHT?!?!?!? I did not enjoy that one little bit. But over all, a pretty good season premiere!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I always wonder how she did it.  It's not like the things she does can be done by clicking one wrong button.  It's never that simple.

No kidding! The things my mom asks me to help 'fix' over the phone, and I'm like, "You know, I cannot magically do this, right??"

• Love 5

I thought it was really good for a season premiere even if they were finding every different way of making the sketches about Margot being really hot.

The debate sketch was indeed worth the hype.  Both Alec and Kate killed.

I did notice the Tampa News(I was still halfway expecting Herb Welch)  sketch and Family Feud seemed pretty long.  There's less commercials this year, right?

Leslie got huuuuge applause in the monologue. Legit STAR, baby!

So happy the show is back, but I miss Taran and Jay.

...least favorite sketch was The Hunch Bunch...don't think I laughed once.

I was so sure Margot was going to turn out to be Harley Quinn and the real "monster"...heh

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Family Feud political edition was my favorite.  I loved whatever Larry's line was about drinking your prune juice now, otherwise you're going to be backed up with crap for the next 4 years.  Haha.  Mr. Robot was completely awesome, too, though.  I'm happy that Leslie can completely own and reclaim her violation, but it genuinely makes me sad that she has to do so.

Alec nailed the Trump impression.  Whoever was saying in the other thread that Hammond had still been impersonating the pompous celebrity from 10+ years ago and that he had not updated his impression for the sourness of Trump's current rages was spot-on, because Alec got that memo for sure.  That said, I didn't think the debate lines were that hilarious.  Maybe it's all just too uncomfortably real at this point.

i really love Keenan, too.  From the monologue (sleeping like a baby) to the news reporter reactions to The Feud, he just consistently makes me laugh.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 6

Well this definitely began this season on a high note. I still miss the crap out of Taran and Jay but I did like this episode. Did they get new writers over the summer because it kind of shows. And I even enjoyed The Weeknd's two songs tonight. Hopefully they do well on the Billboard charts because my god has this year been terrible musically. But anyways onto the thoughts on each sketch.

Cold Open: Baldwin's Trump is great. Whenever it flashed to a split screen of Hillary reacting, it reminded me a lot of those Looney Tunes cartoons with Bugs Bunny reacting as someone was making an ass of themselves. 

Monologue: Hooray non-musical monologue (though I fully expect a full musical monologue next week). This was fun and creative. I think the best fact check was Leslie after Margot said her year of birth and Leslie agreed. She just glares at the camera and walks off. 

Sinkhole: I am SO GLAD that they didn't go the cringey route and have Kenan say "WHAT ARE THOOOSEEEE" with the Crocs because I was half expecting it. I loved how they all got increasingly perplexed as to why that guy was with her. Yeah it was a given that this was a "Look at the ugly dude with the hot wife" thing but I liked how they added onto it more and more to make it even more incredulous. Though Mikey Day doesn't make a very good ugly dude. He's kind of cute even with those ugly ass glasses.

Librarian: I wasn't sure exactly what the twist was going to be but once the slow motion started, it got awesome. And the slow motion "Ohhh Noooooo" was hilarious. 

The Feud: Impressions galore. Though Sarah Silverman isn't really that bad in terms of grossness. She at least has some other stuff to balance it out. Amy Schumer on the other hand....but that's me just being a comedy snob. Anyways, this was enjoyable. Cecily was Lin-Manuel Miranda was an interesting choice. Also Beck looks good, I gotta say. I do wish there was more with him as Putin. Also I liked the popping up of the Trumps. 

Weekend Update: Oh man, I didn't even realize the pneumonia/James Brown connection until now. Wow, that's on par with when ESPN used "How Sweet It Is to be Loved by You"-Marvin Gaye for a Father's Day ad. Anyways, this Weekend Update was great. Somehow Kenan's David Ortiz doesn't get too old for me. He has the cadence of his voice pretty spot on. It's silly impression, that's for sure. And I'm gonna be super sad tomorrow during Papi's last regular season game. I'd love to see them go all the way one last time with him but with the bullpen that they have and the inconsistencies of Craig Kimbrel and David Price, I'm not so sure (I say let Koji be closer!). Also, can I say that I like that they're not just blindly pro-Hillary now. I mean they are pro-Hillary but they're at least acknowledging that she's really not that much better of an option. Also liked The Weeknd Update.

The Hunch Bunch: Yeah, this was lame. Not horribly unfunny but compared to the rest of the episode, this just didn't hit. I kept expecting Margot's character to be the monster but alas, it did not go that way. Though I did like the twist of "I'm not going back to jail!" also I got shades of Harley Quinn in that sketch.

Melania Moments: Reminds me a lot of Deep Thoughts. I always enjoyed those little segments. I hope they keep it up. It'd be a fun sketch for them to do every so often leading up to the Election.

Actor's Round Table: I enjoyed this sketch but yet, it also kind of disappointed me. Like I didn't mind the direction they went with it but I felt like it also could've been a lot more biting of a commentary on Hollywood then and now. They almost hit that note but they kind of went all over the place and went with the more over-the-top kind of way of things.

Mr. Robot: Best sketch of the night. I loved the ending part where Leslie sees Mr. Robot and is ready to get all up ons with him. Though I did groan audibly when she said "I ain't afraid of no ghost" (for the record, I disliked the Ghostbusters movie but it wasn't because of the cast. Though Kristen Wiig was immensely boring in it, which sure beats her being all over the top. Leslie and Kate were the best part. Anyways, the reason why I disliked it was because it had the terrible writing and that kind of humor that Paul Feig does that just doesn't work for me) And the reveal of the laptop she had was pretty great. Anyways, I enjoyed this immensely. It may not be a popular opinion, but I like it when they just have Leslie Jones play herself in some sketches. 

Anyways, great episode and really leaves a note of optimism for this season coming up. I'm pretty excited for Lin-Manuel Miranda. I really want to see what he brings to the table. Many Hamilton jokes, I'm sure. Plus I have a weird feeling there may be a West Wing themed sketch somewhere (he's a West Wing superfan) which I'm all for (mostly because I've been watching a lot of West Wing lately)

• Love 1

I was kinda excited to see Mikey Day join the show. He's been on Wild'n Out and Mad TV and it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I think he could be a strong addition. Is he the first Mad TV alum to cross over to SNL?

Surprised to see Sasheer is still there. I really want to like her but there's just...no there, there. I thought with the rise of Leslie Jones they could phase her out without backlash since she was hired after the black woman controversy and has been a bust so far. Robin Thede is funny black sketch comedian, bring her in.

Glad to see Beck and Mooney back. Kyle Mooney isn't a favorite in this forum but I really like his style of comedy and I think he's hilarious. There, I said it.

The Weeknd's hair looks sooooo much better.

• Love 2

The debate cold opening had me howling right from the moment Kate's Hillary did the Wonka fake-out. Her facial expressions were gold, as was "I think I'm gonna be President." 

Alec nailed Trump. I look forward to all his other appearances before the election.

• Love 8

I really enjoyed Kate's "He can have my two minutes" and her threat that she would never go away if she lost on Election Day. Her ancient Hollywood actress at the round table was a flop for me, though—it was like a less absurd, unfunny version of the alien abductees sketches.

I was relieved to see Darrell still around as Bill Clinton, hitting on Ivanka. And I loved Leslie Jones' whole Mr. Robot bit, especially "I ain't afraid of no ghost" as she got ready to pounce on Mr. Robot.

• Love 1

My husband wears Crocs with socks (I KNOW) and we were both in tears of laughter. After the skit ended I wondered aloud how many people are going to send that to him and we both started crying again.

Alec Baldwin killed it, and it was wonderful to have Darrell Hammond back as the OG Clinton. Larry David, too. (Is Pete still dating his daughter?) Margot Robbie made a frighteningly good Ivanka Trump. The less we can say about Cecily's Lin-Manuel Miranda the better.

All in all, a really strong start to the year. And the new guys seemed alright! No initial indicators of a Brooks Wheelan or Jon Rudnitsky in the bunch.

• Love 2

I just finished this as I have to record it because I am an 80 year old trapped in the body of a 22 year old and I can't stay up past 11 most nights to save my soul haha but I loved this.

Kate and Leslie continue to be my absolute favorites! 

Alec Baldwin straight killed it as Lord Voldemort, I mean Donald Trump.

The only sketch that was kinda meh to me was The Hunch Bunch but I did laugh when Margo Robbie was like "I'm not going back to jail!" 

I also enjoyed The Weeknd update when all he said was "I got a haircut" because while I skipping through his performance I thought he looked a little different lol(I skip through every musical performance lol it wasn't just The Weeknd)

All in all I found this premiere to be pretty solid. And I'm excited for the season especially for Lin next week!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Mr. Robot: The hardest case possible: Who hacked Leslie Jones? WHY WAS THIS SAVED FOR LAST?! I keep hearing this show is good.

I loved this one and don't understand why it was saved for the end either. If they were going for the traditional "10 to 1" stick the weakest sketch at the end they should have stuck the Hunch Bunch here. If they thought they were doing what they sometimes try to do where they put something strong, but non-mainstream and a bit edgy here they are just as lame and safe in their comedy taste as their critics say. If their thought process was that the prefilmed shorts are really intended for the internet anyways and they want to avoid tune out during the live show and increase flexibility a bit by putting a good filmed bit right before the good nights I would have switched it up with The Librarian. In any case it was gold.

A really great episode. Margot Robbie was a great sport, and stunningly beautiful. I had just dismissed her up to now as the industry's manufactured It Girl, but I will need to reconsider.

Mr. Robot should have been in the first half hour. I'm glad I stuck around for it.  I had thought Davidson could do a good Eliot for over a year now.

For me the big belly laugh was when in the Family Feud sketch, Steve Harvey said to Putin, "You were in my nightmare last night." And Putin responded, "I know." With a evil little smile.  I wasn't expecting that, and I died.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Negritude said:

Glad to see Beck and Mooney back. Kyle Mooney isn't a favorite in this forum but I really like his style of comedy and I think he's hilarious. There, I said it.

Definitely not a Mooney fan, but his not-Shaggy in the Hunch Bunch earned the biggest laughs from me in that sketch. 

Hope we see more Melania Moments. "Is there a Sixth Avenue?"

Overall, good show, but I too missed Jay and Taran. Really enjoyed The Weeknd.

• Love 2

The Weeknd Update bit was especially funny to me last night, because during his first musical performance I exclaimed "He got a haircut!"

7 hours ago, Negritude said:

I was kinda excited to see Mikey Day join the show. He's been on Wild'n Out and Mad TV and it'll be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I think he could be a strong addition. Is he the first Mad TV alum to cross over to SNL?

Taran Killam was a Mad TV alum. I don't know that anyone else has made the jump though. Maybe Jordan Peele or Keegan Michael Key will host someday.

• Love 1

The debate cold opening had me howling right from the moment Kate's Hillary did the Wonka fake-out. Her facial expressions were gold, as was "I think I'm gonna be President." 

I think my favorite part of the whole thing was Hillary's open mouth gaping while Trump mused on "the blacks" and using her hand to close her mouth.

Taran is definitely missed for his sheer versatility if nothing else. I was just thinking without Taran, I guess there's no more Fox and Friends sketch.  Would had been fun to see Trump call in and leave them speechless, even Bobby Moynihan's character.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Jeff Richards (remember him? Drunk Girl?) was the first one back in the day.

EDIT: Besides Missing Taran and Jay, where was Vanessa Bayer? She's still in the cast, right?

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, ruby24 said:

She's not that much better than fascism?????????? Her policies are exactly the same as Obama's, but he's wonderful and she's horrible, which Jost and Che reiterated again tonight on the show. This is entirely about personality and nothing else.

Maybe I misworded a bit because I do have a firm belief that if Trump is elected, we're gonna see some serious civil war shit in the US (note: I'd be on the side that is against Trump, that's for sure). I meant more like Hillary isn't the ideal option and as Larry David as Bernie Sanders put it "She's like Prune Juice. Awful to drink but you gotta just take it so you can clean out the crap"

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

The Weeknd Update bit was especially funny to me last night, because during his first musical performance I exclaimed "He got a haircut!"

Taran Killam was a Mad TV alum. I don't know that anyone else has made the jump though. Maybe Jordan Peele or Keegan Michael Key will host someday.

31 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Jeff Richards (remember him? Drunk Girl?) was the first one back in the day.

Wow really? Taran and Jeff Richards huh. I knew somebody would know. I didn't follow Mad TV that closely so I don't remember either of them being on it, but I figured there were probably others.

Edited by Negritude
11 hours ago, tomsmom said:

Omg people are freaking out over Che using the N word! I might be wrong but I thought it was funny how he did it. 

That got edited out of the West Coast broadcast.  Instead, the line ended "but the Cosby Show made me rich".

Alec Baldwin does a good Trump.  Maybe they changed it so that they could bring in Hammond's Bill Clinton more often?

Between the sinkhole sketch and the librarian short, I was worried the whole show would be ogling Margot Robbie, but I'm glad they went a different direction.

I'd like them to retire Family Feud.  There are so many people on stage there's not enough time for anyone to gain traction.  Some of Sanders' lines were funny, but everyone else was forgettable.  A game show sketch with 1 host + 2-3 contestants lets them give each character some meat and more variety.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Negritude said:

There's two of us (well, three if you count Mallory Ortberg of The Toast: http://the-toast.net/2015/05/26/the-inside-socal-series-is-transcendantly-good-and-kyle-mooney-is-possibly-a-genius/) ; I think Kyle Mooney is hysterical.  He's got a weirdo sense of humor, but I must have the same one because even his iffy sketches I find hilarious. 

This was a really strong season opener. I knew nothing of Margot Robbie, since I've never seen her in anything, but she was wonderfully game and hilarious.  I wouldn't mind seeing her back hosting again at some point. 

Alec Baldwin was FANTASTIC as Trump. He lost the voice on occasion, but he had the mannerisms DOWN and made Trump seem like the odious toad he is.  

I saw that Che, Pete, Leslie, and Sasheer got promoted to the main cast!  The new guys did very well for their first show, though I think you can tell Mikey Day was a writer previously, since not only was he in more sketches than most newbies, but they also let him carry one.  It is also driving me absolutely BONKERS trying to figure out where I've seen Alex Moffat before.  He looks so familiar to me, but nothing on his IMDb page is ringing a bell.

In the monologue "It wasn't a bull, it was a guy named Beef" and "Don't worry Drake, you're my baby forever!" killed me. 

It was such a simple premise, but the Matt Shatt sketch had me howling because everyone delivered so well. "HE DOES PUPPETS??" actually made me cackle. 

WU was great once again. The joke that killed me was "When I got stumped during a debate, I didn't yell 'Rosie O'Donnell's a bitch!"  And while I wished for a Leslie desk piece about trolls, the Mr Robot sketch was so much better. 

I did think it was odd there was no Vanessa, but then I realized it was probably a combo of something of hers getting cut, and some of the roles she usually plays going to Margot Robbie instead (ex - Vanessa is usually Ivanka Trump, but Margot played her in the ep). 

• Love 3

Just search "Leslie Jones" on Tumblr if you have an account.

I loved the "Willy Wonka" fakeout with Hillary.  Kate and Alec were both fantastic, but they were also given great stuff to work with.

The monologue was good. Margot Robbie wasn't stiff and was very relaxed. There's a reason she's the new hot actress right now.

As soon as Margot Robbie came out in that low cut dress next to the nerdy looking guy(played by the new castmember) I knew what the sketch was going to be about! Leslie's part was my favorite.

I like the new cast member as Sarah Silverman and with part with Trump's kids. Larry David as Bernie is funny as always. Beck as shirtless Putin made me LOL.

I'm a sucker for the "sexy librarian" look so I was already liking the digital short, even though it took a really horrible turn!

The Weekend Update. Pretty evenhanded I would say. We're both stuck with choices we don't really want but one is more preferable.. The analogies with iPhone 7 and Samsung was great.

I have nostalgic affection for Scooby Doo so I loved the "Hunch Bunch" sketch. Also liked seeing Aidy dressed as Velma.

Loved Kate's new old Hollywood star character! Put Margot Robbie along Ryan Gosling as another host who can't keep a straight face once Kate's on a roll!

I only recently realized how much Pete Davidson looked like Rami Malek from Mr. Robot. So great that Leslie can joke about what happened too.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, tomsmom said:

I'm Donald Jr, the brains. I'm Ivanka, the beauty. And I'm Eric.

This was hilarious. Those guys made great Trump boys.

2 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Maybe Jordan Peele or Keegan Michael Key will host someday.

I love them both, but I think I'd prefer Peele to host over Key. Key tends to take over -- which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I think sometimes it takes a while for him to really fit in. I'm mainly thinking of his appearances on Whose Line. 

51 minutes ago, futurechemist said:

That got edited out of the West Coast broadcast.  Instead, the line ended "but the Cosby Show made me rich".

Thanks for the explanation. I wondered how I missed him having said that.

Overall, I thought it was a strong show. The Presidential Debate was just about perfect. Hillary's Willy Wonka fakeout was hilarious. Alec as Trump was as great as I expected. Even Michael Che was very good as Lester Holt.

The monologue was good. I noticed Margot's dress had a marijuana print.

The sinkhole bit was funny. My favorite line was Leslie's tree trunk theory for why the guy got such a gorgeous wife.

I thought The Librarian was hysterical. She looked so creepy with most of her hair gone and those awful teeth. The ending with the guys still getting turned on by seeing boobs was kinda expected, but good.

I loved Family Feud. The only impression I wasn't into was Cecily's of Lin-Manuel. I thought Kate was great at Kellyanne Conway. (I think that's her name.) Of course Larry David was perfect as Sanders, and his line about prune juice was so funny ... because it's true. "Secretary Clinton is the prune juice of this election – She might not seem that appetizing, but if you don't take her now, you're going to be clogged with crap for a very long time."

I wasn't so taken with Weekend Update. I do always enjoy seeing David Ortez. I can't help giggling every time he recites food.

OK, the Hunch Bunch skit wasn't all that great, but I really loved each of the main ones doing the Scooby Doo characters. Kyle was the most hysterical, but they all were very good. The Margot parts just didn't work.

The Women's Roundtable was so-so. I did get a laugh out of Kate's line, "The little baboon ran off with my brooches."

And lastly Mr Robot. I was very happy to see this. Well done. My favorite bit was at the end when Leslie repositions Eliot to be in the center of the shot. For anyone who doesn't watch the show, the off-center framing is basically a hallmark of the show.

I really like Mikey Day. I've only seen him in Kath & Kim, and he was good there, but I'm pleased to see how well he's fitting in.

Oh, and I really liked the first pic of Margot hopping in the kangaroo costume. So adorable!

Unpopular opinion, but I wasn't overly impressed with the cold open. I liked some parts of it (the Gene Wilder shoutout, and Kate and Alec have both mastered their respective impressions) but maybe after watching the entirety of the absolutely bonkers debate, and seeing it meticulously dissected by Seth Meyers and Sam Bee and the like all week, it just fell a little flat to me. Not to mention that Michael's Lester Holt was straight out of the uncanny valley.

So glad they passed up on a singing monologue (though I predict one in at least the next two episodes as Lin-Manuel Miranda and Emily Blunt can both sing), and I liked the direction this one took. Nice of Margot to call out Jared Leto on his annoying on-set Suicide Squad behavior, and the other cast members who showed up got some good bits in. Aidy: "Don't worry Drake, you my baby foreva!" Leslie not commenting on the fact that she and Margot didn't have exactly the same birthday, as well as "I called Kate McKinnon Kate Middleton for a year." I wish I could laugh at Kenan's "This is my fourteenth season, I slept like a baby" but I can't. Move on, dude. Seriously.

I'm in the minority that generally enjoys the Family Feud sketches, and I liked this one too. Beck's Putin. Bill Clinton hitting on Ivanka. Donald Jr. and Eric popping up and Steve Harvey's "give me children of the corn!" (okay, Kenan, you are occasionally amusing). Weird that they picked Sarah Silverman and Lin-Manuel Miranda to be on Team Clinton. Sarah supports Clinton now but she was as Bernie Bro-ish as they come before the convention and only seems to be supporting Clinton out of obligation. But I guess it was just a matter of squeezing Melissa into the show somehow, as she didn't show up the rest of the night. I guess this is how they're dealing with her social media backlash, just sort of sneaking her in and getting us used to her until we forget about it? Cuz both Mikey and Alex got more screentime in this single episode than Jon Rudnitsky got all last season.

Another Weekend Update, another season of me only being moderately impressed with Colin and Michael's abilities to stammer out their lines as if this is the first time they're reading them. Another unpopular opinion, but whatever. I liked Cecily's character a lot. "I might be in a fugitive-type situation!"

I wanted to like The Hunch Bunch. It had potential but I think it spent too much time falling back on being a poor man's live-action Scooby Doo that it missed out. Amazed they got the whole "someone's coming!"/"who would want to have sex in this dirty old castle?" line past the censors though.

More Melanie Moments please! I hope this is a recurring bit, at least until the election.

My favorite sketch was the Mr. Robot one, and I don't even watch the show! "Do you know Windows 95?" And then when she moved Pete so that he was standing in the center of the frame because it was driving her nuts? Hilarious.

As someone who has not seen a single thing she's been in, I thought Margot did a really good job and would love to see her come back.

Where was Vanessa?

Every season I hope that Sasheer is finally going to get her moment to really shine. And every season I am disappointed. I don't anticipate this season being any different.

Did anyone clock it? Did we get less commercial breaks? I didn't see any sketches that were packed full of "synergy" or whatever "they had a whole 30 Rock episode about why this is a dumb idea" change that was supposed to happen this season.

• Love 3

Last nights show was stellar. Margot was a great host and the material was super funny. I think my favorite line of last night was "Little Peter No No" during the Women in film sketch. Kate just continues to bring the laughs no matter who she is playing. Leslie Jones cracked my shit up in the My Robot sketch. I really liked this edition of celebrity family feud. Darrel Hammond as Bill Clinton never fails to make me laugh. He just is so damn good. This season is off to a good start. I'm really hoping that the strong writing continues for next weeks show. I can't wait to see Lin host. 

47 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

Sarah supports Clinton now but she was as Bernie Bro-ish as they come before the convention and only seems to be supporting Clinton out of obligation.

I would call Susan Sarandon as "Bernie-Broish" as they come but not Sarah.  Sarah was an active Bernie supporter, no doubt, but even during the primaries I seem to recall her saying that she would support Clinton if Bernie lost.  And she has been pretty active since the convention.  Bernie was also someone as a latecomer to supporting Clinton until after the primaries but was on her team.

Plus, Trump had some late supporters of his own on his "team" in Chris Christie and Kellyanne Conway. And now I've analyzed the people in that skit more than I ever thought I would.

48 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

My favorite sketch was the Mr. Robot one, and I don't even watch the show! "Do you know Windows 95?" And then when she moved Pete so that he was standing in the center of the frame because it was driving her nuts? Hilarious.

I saw two episodes of that show before I quit but I think what makes that skit so well done is that seeing the show isn't a requirement to find the humor in it.  It was funny for anyone who saw themselves in Leslie as behind-the-times in technology or has helped anyone like that. It reminds me a bit of Documentary Now! in that it helps to see the documentary the show each episode is based on but the best ones are independent of that knowledge.

• Love 2

I loved this episode, so funny. I thought Cecily killed it this week. Cathy Ann was hilarious I was dying "robama" Are you ok' NO!" LOL

Also loved Lesleys skit at the end, good for her. 

Great episode all around. The sinkhole also had me dying. 

• Love 2

Alec nailed the Trump impression.  Whoever was saying in the other thread that Hammond had still been impersonating the pompous celebrity from 10+ years ago and that he had not updated his impression for the sourness of Trump's current rages was spot-on, because Alec got that memo for sure. 

That's undoubtedly true, but there's an additional advantage to handing over the Trump impersonation to Baldwin - it allows opportunity for "Trump" and "Bill Clinton" to be in the same scene, which, I suspect, is likely to occur multiple times before (and maybe even after) Election Day.

• Love 3