Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Big Three

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, random chance said:

What if she doesn't want to do any of those things?

Yes - especially when you're the chubby kid in the dance class.  Also, I don't remember too many kids (especially girls) playing soccer when I was little.  We skated (because Canada), took ballet/tap/jazz, gymnastics (ETA:  the girls, anyway.  Some boys would have played hockey, of course) and maybe took swimming.  Some of us played tennis.  That was it.  We did have REAL recess and many of us skipped rope and various other playground games, though.  Even at age 8.  Some days we would trade stickers instead.  There were, maybe, two chubby kids in my grade? 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 2
  23 minutes ago, romantic idiot said:

I'm sorry but why is an 8 year old on a diet? Get her into soccer or skiing or a dance class or something.

Then even a family walk in the evening could help. Or do exercise in the living room as special mommy/daughter bonding time.

Also, again, she clearly isn't merely someone who needs to "cut down on the chips" (though at 8 she was)---she's someone who needs to be under a doctor's care for a medical condition.

Additionally, most pediatricians----past limiting sugary and fatty stuff----don't advocate even putting a kid on a diet, because they're growing and need nutrients. So "only fruit today" wouldn't be viewed as positive for an 8 year old. Even in 1988.

Also the "I just want you to be happy" (as I fat shame and control you) was all kinds of passive-aggressive shitty.

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, zumpie said:

I just realized in the case of even Randall----his strung out daddy had enough care to leave him at the fire station (versus merely getting high and forgetting altogether, while the baby screamed and died from neglect---and he was adopted by people who loved him dearly. He also, bizarrely for a baby born to an addict mommy who probably received NO prenatal care and (seemingly??? I wasn't paying attention) popped him out at home had zero birth defects or complications and grew up to be a healthy, absurdly personally and professionally successful adult.

It's weird, I was just recently reading that contrary to popular belief, many cocaine babies have no significant neurological deficits.  Randall must be one of them.

Yet he let something consume him that most adoptees make their peace with fairly early---AND even that, seemingly, has a fairly positive outcome. His birth dad is a kindly, albeit broken, old man---who while dying seems to only wish to spend his last days getting to know Randall and his beautiful, loving family.

I didn't see him as being consumed by this.  If he had been consumed, he would have pursued it earlier, he has the means.  From what we've been told of his work and home history, he is definitely a Type A, but in this, although yes, he acted impulsively in bringing William home, it actually seems he held back for a long time in searching out his birth father.  Maybe we'll find out he waited until Jack died. 

Things could be much worse for all the siblings, but people tend to get reflective on milestones and feelings come up and actions are taken and . . . we have new family drama/comedies to sink our teeth into.  Their foibles may become tedious, or they may be handled creatively, time will tell.

• Love 4

I would think that a kid would recognize "special bonding mommy and me exercise time" for what it was, namely "you're fat and you need to exercise." I don't have any answers mind you - I'm just thinking that trying to help an overweight kid without destroying them is probably quite tricky.  Anything you'd do to help would look like criticism, but if you did nothing you'd be part of the problem.

However like you say there's a major difference between a somewhat overweight kid and an enormously overweight adult. Someone probably doesn't gain that much weight because they didn't take a dance class and ate sugary cereal for breakfast instead of fruit.

• Love 6

I was thinking about Randall being born to parents on cocaine. Is it possible that maybe he did have significant delays / challenges, and they put him in a lower grade than Kate and Kevin? Since they call him "little brother," maybe they pretended he was younger than he really is, and then he found out the truth, which led to his focus on achievement. 

• Love 2

I'm sorry but why is an 8 year old on a diet? Get her into soccer or skiing or a dance class or something

Well, her mom DID only rate herself a "6" on the parenting scale, so Kate's not being thin is clearly a tragedy beyond her sad mom's imagination and coping skills.

I just realized in the case of even Randall----his strung out daddy had enough care to leave him at the fire station (versus merely getting high and forgetting altogether, while the baby screamed and died from neglect---and he was adopted by people who loved him dearly. He also, bizarrely for a baby born to an addict mommy who probably received NO prenatal care and (seemingly??? I wasn't paying attention) popped him out at home had zero birth defects or complications and grew up to be a healthy, absurdly personally and professionally successful adult. 

Yet he let something consume him that most adoptees make their peace with fairly early---AND even that, seemingly, has a fairly positive outcome. His birth dad is a kindly, albeit broken, old man---who while dying seems to only wish to spend his last days getting to know Randall and his beautiful, loving family.

Gawd! The more I read about this storyline, the more disturbing it gets in its complete dismissal of reality. It is awfully convenient for Randall's birth parents to sober up just long enough to provide a fairy tale triplet and then disappear. Why, how nice they are to the white, privileged, yuppie couple. This show is more messed up than I originally thought. I mean, why deal with nuances of reality when you can present a fantasy land where emotion is imagined instead of felt? 

I swear, I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but I'm insulted that my teevee thinks this is what I want when I tune into a reality, contemporary drama. Get better, show. 

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, random chance said:

I would think that a kid would recognize "special bonding mommy and me exercise time" for what it was, namely "you're fat and you need to exercise."

Yeah, very true. My parents used to tell me McDonalds was closed a lot. That was their only attempt to keep me from chubbing out. I don't think there is an easy trick. But, I don't look like Kate, so maybe that's the trick.

• Love 2

I would think that a kid would recognize "special bonding mommy and me exercise time" for what it was, namely "you're fat and you need to exercise." I don't have any answers mind you - I'm just thinking that trying to help an overweight kid without destroying them is probably quite tricky.  Anything you'd do to help would look like criticism, but if you did nothing you'd be part of the problem.

However like you say there's a major difference between a somewhat overweight kid and an enormously overweight adult. Someone probably doesn't gain that much weight because they didn't take a dance class and ate sugary cereal for breakfast instead of fruit.

I have a slightly chubby now teen (and in her case, it is absolutely about cutting out all fun food, going for a walk would make her thin) she's comfortable with who she is, so I see no need to push it---because the last thing I want to do is fat shame/create self esteem issues.

However, I can attest one of triplets, getting private time with mom???? Golden, regardless of what it entailed. And aerobics were super "in" at the time, so modeling something like that would've been pretty easy to coax an 8 year old into.

In fact, for awhile, at THAT precise age---my daughter and her friend were vaguely obsessed with yoga---since it was what glamorous ladies did, had cute outfits and an American Girl doll even did it, they were all for it (or at least until it turned out to be too much work) entirely on their own.

At its height they had a "yoga sleepover" where they even tried to create aroma therapy zen with a sprig of rosemary in a dish----cause one of them saw it in a magazine.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, random chance said:

Tough, she's an 8 year old - she doesn't get a vote. Better than, as someone said above, having to diet.

Also, grown up Kate is also clearly doing something wrong. I don't even know if she's gone to a good doctor. You are not supposed to starve on a good diet. If she's starving she's doing it wrong and no wonder she can't lose weight. 

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 2
  59 minutes ago, zumpie said:

It's weird, I was just recently reading that contrary to popular belief, many cocaine babies have no significant neurological deficits.  Randall must be one of them.

I didn't see him as being consumed by this.  If he had been consumed, he would have pursued it earlier, he has the means.  From what we've been told of his work and home history, he is definitely a Type A, but in this, although yes, he acted impulsively in bringing William home, it actually seems he held back for a long time in searching out his birth father.  Maybe we'll find out he waited until Jack died. 

Things could be much worse for all the siblings, but people tend to get reflective on milestones and feelings come up and actions are taken and . . . we have new family drama/comedies to sink our teeth into.  Their foibles may become tedious, or they may be handled creatively, time will tell.

While the "crack baby" of the 1980's was hype, there are still significant issues associated with particularly maternal cocaine use during pregnancy, as well their deep poverty and lack of prenatal care

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/cocaine/what-are-effects-maternal-cocaine-use

• Love 2

Did Rebecca handle the whole "help" Kate lose weight while still leaving her with a positive body image and positive self esteem right? Probably not. Did she handle it like a good deal of loving mothers, especially ones in the 80s, might have. Let's just say I believed the situation and believe that Rebecca meant no harm even if it caused some in the future.

Edited by Enigma X
Fixed names
  • Love 14

Did Rebecca handle the whole "help" Kate lose weight while still leaving her with a positive body image and positive self esteem right? Probably not. Did she handle it like a good deal of loving mothers, especially ones in the 80s, might have. Let's just say I believed the situation and believe that Kate meant no harm even if it caused some in the future.

1988 wasn't all that long ago (in 1958, sure)----if anything we were MORE (I was 23 in 1988) likely to view it as a "glandular thing" than not. And, again, it was already well established that putting a kid on a diet wasn't such a great move, precisely because they needed nutrients, etc. Kinda like how even if YOU'RE a vegetarian, your cat can't be one.

Given her compulsion for rating their scale of parenting (something, as a working mom, I've never even thought of doing), etc----I have no doubt Rebecca read no shortage of Ladies Home Journal and took all sorts of quizzes, etc. So she would've been well aware of the reasons NOT to fat shame or put your kid on a diet----especially if you were permitting her brothers to eat whatever they wanted.

That said, do I think Rebecca is evil? Not at all. Just she's all sorts of passive-aggressive/wallowing in a bit of a pity party (again, whining about having to tuck in your kids by yourself and doing separate tuck ins as something huge to the partner who's working to feed all of you? Entitled on a similar level to her now adult children), etc.

I think my other issue with her is I'm TOLD what a glorious human being she is....and I most assuredly haven't seen it

• Love 3
On 9/28/2016 at 3:22 PM, La Traviata said:

George Clooney:  Let's not forget he was a regular on Roseanne.

I love the weight-related story line.  Obesity is an epidemic.  Considering the amount of people dealing with that very problem, I find it refreshing that a show is actually willing to address the issue.  Warts and all.

As for everything else you guys said, I think 2 episodes in is way too soon to start asking "Why this?" and "Why that?"  It just is.  Embrace it.

I'm not sure I followed what you meant about names, but just for yucks (since I have a kid named Rebecca) I looked up Rebecca's popularity in 1980. It was very popular, ranging from the upper teens to lower twenties. It's a traditional biblical name, like Sara, which never really go out of style. Katie, a version of Kate, was less popular, but still within the top 100. But people name kids for all sorts of reasons, and in honor of all kinds of people.

Also, while it might be unusual to have children as late as they did, it's not unheard of. Some people have difficulty conceiving, some choose to wait (it was the era of the pill, after all). The mister was 38 as a first time Dad, and I was well into my 30's.

As for everything else you guys said, I think 2 episodes in is way too soon to start asking "Why this?" and "Why that?"  It just is.  Embrace it.

I agree. The show is clearly going to take its time, which is something I actually like a great deal.

As for the actress playing Kate losing weight during the show, she could lose a serious amount of weight without it being particularly visible to anyone. Unless they've padded her, it's not likely she'd lose anything noticeable within a season.

• Love 3

George Clooney:  Let's not forget he was a regular on Roseanne.

I love the weight-related story line.  Obesity is an epidemic.  Considering the amount of people dealing with that very problem, I find it refreshing that a show is actually willing to address the issue.  Warts and all.

I'm not sure I followed what you meant about names, but just for yucks (since I have a kid named Rebecca) I looked up Rebecca's popularity in 1980. It was very popular, ranging from the upper teens to lower twenties. It's a traditional biblical name, like Sara, which never really go out of style. Katie, a version of Kate, was less popular, but still within the top 100. But people name kids for all sorts of reasons, and in honor of all kinds of people.

Also, while it might be unusual to have children as late as they did, it's not unheard of. Some people have difficulty conceiving, some choose to wait (it was the era of the pill, after all). The mister was 38 as a first time Dad, and I was well into my 30's.

I agree. The show is clearly going to take its time, which is something I actually like a great deal.

As for the actress playing Kate losing weight during the show, she could lose a serious amount of weight without it being particularly visible to anyone. Unless they've padded her, it's not likely she'd lose anything noticeable within a season.

Oh, for the record, I was not quite 35 and my husband 39 when we had our kid. But that was in 2000. In 1980, 36 and 32, especially in the midwest (which Pittsburgh is) and working class that was ollldddd for first time parents. In fact the mean age in the US was a full decade+ younger then.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr51/nvsr51_01.pdf

There's been no mention of fertility issues and that would've been fairly cutting edge at that point. As would a first time mom delivering multiples in her 30's would've been already classified as "high risk"

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, zumpie said:

Oh, for the record, I was not quite 35 and my husband 39 when we had our kid. But that was in 2000. In 1980, 36 and 32, especially in the midwest (which Pittsburgh is) and working class that was ollldddd for first time parents. In fact the mean age in the US was a full decade+ younger then.

There's been no mention of fertility issues and that would've been fairly cutting edge at that point. As would a first time mom delivering multiples in her 30's would've been already classified as "high risk"

I didn't make either of those quotes you just responded to.  Why is my name attached to them?

17 minutes ago, zumpie said:

I didn't make either of those quotes you just responded to.  Why is my name attached to them?

CLANSTARLING replied to you

1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

Did Rebecca handle the whole "help" Kate lose weight while still leaving her with a positive body image and positive self esteem right? Probably not. Did she handle it like a good deal of loving mothers, especially ones in the 80s, might have. Let's just say I believed the situation and believe that Kate meant no harm even if it caused some in the future.

Yeah, the 1980s were 30 years ago, so it's very easy for me to believe that parenting techniques and approaches to health and behavioral issues have changed in that time. Sure, there were parents back then who would have tossed the cereal and organized family rollerskating nights. But there were plenty of doctors who thought heavier kids just needed to lay off the extra helpings and well meaning moms who figured the thinner children didn't deserve to be "punished" by having their normal foods taken away and turning them into carrot kids. Yes, there were parents who never bought sugary cereals, but the push to ban junk food advertising from kids' programming or not to have soda machines in schools or not have candy-based fundraisers for school and to have healthier options on fast food kids' menus...none of that started succeeding on a national level until much later than the 80s. Obviously there were millions of parents who were more relaxed and maybe less thoughtful than what would be the norm now, with regard to children and healthy eating.

The idea of the actress playing Kate getting weight loss surgery in real life... How does that come up in the casting process? So awkward to imagine!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, La Traviata said:

I'd like to see lots of stories focused on Kate's weight. Im going to be bummed if they phase it out.  It's so important and something different than what we usually see.

I do hope they develop Beth a little more.  I don't want to see her so house wifey and always focused on the kids. 

But it cant and shouldnt be her only story.  I think they need to very quickly give her a business/work story that doesnt involve weight and then circle back to it.  Surely Kate has a job and friends? 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

I'm sorry but why is an 8 year old on a diet? Get her into soccer or skiing or a dance class or something.

When I was around that age, one of my pediatricians put me on a diet, I then told my mother I never wanted to see that particular doctor again.

And who says she wasn't doing any of those things.

Plus back then Soccer wasn't as popular a sport as now, very few leagues.

Another thought, you can't put current thoughts and actions into the flashbacks.  Times were different then (meant to mention in first episode thread)

Dropping off a baby you didn't want at a firehouse no questions asked is standard now, not back then, plus there were no security cameras at firestations to see who dropped off a baby, it was the 70's they weren't as prevalent then.

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

But it cant and shouldnt be her only story.  I think they need to very quickly give her a business/work story that doesnt involve weight and then circle back to it.  Surely Kate has a job and friends? 

I'm sure she does.  I just don't want that to be the focal point.

9 minutes ago, La Traviata said:

I'm sure she does.  I just don't want that to be the focal point.

It's why they need to find a better balance. Because as of right now, her story is 90% about her weight, which isn't good either. She needs to have storylines involving her job, or she needs to have scenes with friends. Luckily it's only episode 2, so there's plenty of time for that. But just like you and I'm sure a bunch of other people love the exploration of her weight, a lot of people also want her to have other storylines and not have everything be about her weight.

• Love 3

Do we know Rebecca's age when she gave birth to the triplets?  I know Mandy Moore is 32, but isn't it possible that Rebecca is younger than that? I ask because Rebecca looks more like she's in her mid or early sixties. 

My 40 year old son played soccer all during his youth, and it was immensely popular in Florida at that time.

I get all the criticisms of this show, and I don't necessarily disagree with some of them, but I have to say that I still love it, if anything, even more. I spent this episode captivated by every moment. Everyone's acting is terrific and all the storylines move and interest me.

Enjoyed the new twist too, will there be one every episode? The moon necklace, to me, indicates that the first husband (sorry, still confused/unclear about everyone's names) died and Miguel made the move he'd been wanting to make for years. I like it, though.

AND we get Cutie (Cootie?) the Cat!!! When will this wondrous kitty make an appearance? I want Cootie/Cutie to come live at the house and enjoy his bad ugly self.

Cannot wait until next week.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Why do they keep referring to Randall as the "little brother" when they're triplets?  

It's not unheard of for multiples to tease each other about being "older" or "younger" and it's technically true, albeit by minutes rather than years. I've known a few sets of twins and it always came up at some point with each of them, who was older or younger.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

It's why they need to find a better balance. Because as of right now, her story is 90% about her weight, which isn't good either. She needs to have storylines involving her job, or she needs to have scenes with friends. Luckily it's only episode 2, so there's plenty of time for that. But just like you and I'm sure a bunch of other people love the exploration of her weight, a lot of people also want her to have other storylines and not have everything be about her weight.

I get it, but there are so many other characters on this show and others that have repeat story lines:  family, job, friends, - and I just don't want TPTB to inch their way into that same old thing with Kate.  This can be ground-breaking material if the writers don't get cold feet and "nice it up" for the naysayers.  

I also don't want them to turn her into one of those super confident, I-accept-myself-the-way-I-am women, taking on the world, throwing that proverbial hat into the air a'la Mary Tyler Moore.  I want them to keep her real and peel away the layers of her onion.  It's my experience that a lot of overweight women (and men) put on an act of fat self-acceptance and it's a bunch of bull.  

People are so afraid of fat shaming that they live in their own self-imposed make believe, pretend land that they're "cool" with their bodies the way they are, when they're not.  In fact, I suspect any minute now someone will chime into this thread proclaiming that I don't know what I'm talking about, because THEY are perfectly fine with being overweight, and THEY wouldn't change a thing.  I'm not buying it.  

I'm not saying you have to be stick skinny.  I'm saying that nobody wants to feel winded and out of breath from walking up and down their basement stairs.  Nobody wants to worry about fitting in a turnstile at the airport, seat on an airplane, ride at an amusement park.  Nobody is "cool" with feeling an occasional chest pain, or sweat pooling under their breast.  Nobody likes having to choose between unflattering, but affordable clothes or paying 3 times the price for something decent from a specialty shop that caters to the overweight consumers.  Nobody wants to struggle to tie their shoes, bathe, or perform the most basic of bodily functions.  I will never believe someone is truly happy being fat and I hate how in this day and age, when people are so afraid of being accused of fat shaming, they won't even attempt to address the issue.  They'll just pretend everything's fine as opposed to speaking real.

I absolutely love Kate as well as Chrissy for taking on this role.

Side note:  Today is Chrissy's birthday.  Feel free to wish her well on Twitter:  @ChrissyMetz

• Love 12

Plus back then Soccer wasn't as popular a sport as now, very few leagues.

This must be regional because when I was growing up in Seattle in the 80s everyone played soccer when they were 5-10 years old. Numbers dropped for boys after 10 as started going into other sports bUT for girls it remained very popular. 

AND we get Cutie (Cootie?) the Cat!!!

The cat's name is Clooney, which William said is ironic, given that the cat is ugly. I do hope he makes an appearance but the asthma of one of Randall's daughters might prevent that. And of course, we don't know yet if William is actually going to move in with the family.

Two episodes in, there's still a lot that has to be worked out, so I'm not overly critical. Everyone raises many good points about Kate's life beyond her weight, Beth's life beyond what we've seen (wonderful wife/mom), Jack and Rebecca's marital issues, and so on and so on. From what I've seen so far, I'm willing to go along for the ride.

I do not like Toby at all. He has moments when he seems empathetic and sweet, but he is too "on" for my liking. I feel as if he's performing every waking moment: "SHOWBIZ!" Enough. Just stop it. And stop talking about your left testicle and banging a Gilmore Girl. Yuck. I get it, you're a sexual person and that's fine, but you don't need to hit me over the head with it. He does seem to genuinely care about Kate, so I'll give him that much. He just needs to take it down a notch, please.

I did not like Kevin at all in this episode. I've never seen or heard of the actor playing him, and while he seems decent enough, the character is grating. Dude, you are making a shitload of money doing something you love, acting. I have no idea at all how the industry works, but I strongly suspect you can fulfill your desire to perform more serious/meaty/artsy roles while still honoring your contract - which, by the by, did you not have your agent or an attorney review it with you before you signed it? Perhaps you never thought "The Manny" would be as awful as it is, and that you'd want to leave midstream, but surely you must have at least been aware of the repercussions for breaking the contract. No sympathy at all from me.

Beth and Randall are great together. Would love to know their history - did they meet at college? 

When Miguel and Rebecca showed up, my first thought was that Jack wasn't dead, but rather, incapacitated. Perhaps Alzheimer's or something of that nature, dementia or the like. My MIL (whose husband had a form of Alzheimer's and is deceased) has been dating a gentleman for 2 years now, whose wife is very much alive but is in a nursing home and has been for years, as she has very advanced Alzheimer's. Of course, if Jack is still alive, Rebecca couldn't be married to Miguel unless she and Jack divorced at some point. We'll certainly find out in due course.

While there is plenty to criticize, I actually do like the show so far and am interested enough in most of it to continue. 

• Love 2

Please, please do not have her ditching her Alzheimer's husband to marry someone else. In fact, leave Alzheimer's out of this show entirely. I know TV loves this disease right now, but it's a nightmare you can't even begin to imagine watching someone die of it, and they die very slowly, by inches, over years. If they need some mechanism for her to ditch Jack and marry what's-his-name (Miguel?) I would rather that she covered Jack in fire ants and then shot him in the face.

• Love 16

Please, please do not have her ditching her Alzheimer's husband to marry someone else. In fact, leave Alzheimer's out of this show entirely. I know TV loves this disease right now, but it's a nightmare you can't even begin to imagine watching someone die of it, and they die very slowly, by inches, over years. 

I'm all too familiar, having been through it with my stepfather-in-law and my father, the latter of whom passed away last December. I'm not interested in that as a story line for present-day Jack and Rebecca, I merely had a fleeting thought upon seeing Rebecca and Miguel that for all we know, Jack may not be dead, and there may be a logical reason as to why Rebecca has a relationship with someone else even though Jack is alive. This is, after all, a glorified soap opera and the more complicated and dramatic things are, the more interesting it is. We will certainly find out Jack, Rebecca, and Miguel's marital status, as well as whether Jack is dead or alive! The plot thickens...

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

I'm all too familiar, having been through it with my stepfather-in-law and my father, the latter of whom passed away last December. I'm not interested in that as a story line for present-day Jack and Rebecca, I merely had a fleeting thought upon seeing Rebecca and Miguel that for all we know, Jack may not be dead, and there may be a logical reason as to why Rebecca has a relationship with someone else even though Jack is alive. This is, after all, a glorified soap opera and the more complicated and dramatic things are, the more interesting it is. We will certainly find out Jack, Rebecca, and Miguel's marital status, as well as whether Jack is dead or alive! The plot thickens...

I'm so sorry, I did not intend that to be a criticism of you, it was just a freak out at the subject matter on my part.

I actually think there is a pretty high likelihood we will see Jack in present day.  Only because it would be odd to have one of the more well-known actors appear only in flashback.  I mean, it may have been done in other shows, but I think if I were a producer/network bigwig I'd want to get more bang for my buck than that. 

• Love 2

Well the show is interesting and not as awful as the previews made it seem. 

Not sure what to make of the ending.  Obviously was with Miguel, and didn't she say the "grandparents" were there.  But then she still had the necklace on, so there has to be more than just the divorce.  Had to have died or is dying, I would think. 

The actor brother.......I missed the first week, no idea what happened, but you have a job and a contract.  Do your job.  Not that tough. Especially as an ACTOR.  ACT like you enjoy it.  Many people do it, everyday.  Plus I felt like I have seen that storyline already too many times on Entourage as well. 

I will keep tuning in.  My wife liked it as well. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, zumpie said:

CLANSTARLING replied to you

2 hours ago, La Traviata said:

I get that but your post says those quotes were mine and they're not.

I quoted both of you in my original post, as I did here, though for some reason they're both showing up as LaTraviata. The first should have showed up as Zumpie.

It looks like there was some kind of technical error

2 hours ago, zumpie said:

I was one of those ollldddd first time parents. Had mine in the 80's. I was the oldest mom in my oldest's girls scout troop (which she generously shared at a mother-daughter event).

• Love 1

What Kate really needs to do, regarding her weight issues, is to go to a therapist. I've heard before that morbid obesity is usually a symptom of underlying mental issues. She obviously has very low self-esteem and is pretty unhappy with every facet of her life. If they were to address these issues has well as her weight problem, I would be more then happy to see more about Kate's weight loss journey. Sometimes it is about more then just diet and exercise.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Whenever a show is set the past, there are "anachronism" watches on various fronts, including names. It's easy to go by the Social Security Administration data to see what names were most popular when the characters would have been born. When characters have names outside of the most common ones for their time, it's said by some to be a "mistake" on the writers' part or a subliminal attempt to make the character seem more modern and relatable, especially if the name became more popular a generation or two later. Rebecca, likely born in the late 1940s or early 1950s, is "supposed" to be named, Linda, or Mary, or Susan, I guess. Personally, as someone with a name that never got past the 200s in its peak yet has encountered several people in life with the same name, I realize that people with names beyond the Top 20 do, in fact, exist. So long as it's a name that was actually known to be in use at the time, it's hard to call this an "inaccuracy". I mean, we are not talking about Baby Boomer lovebirds Nevaeh and Maximus.

There have always been people who had kids later in life, maybe not as many as now, but it's not like there was a time when all the eggs and sperm dried up at 25. Also, I wouldn't rule out fertility troubles for Jack and Rebecca. Ovary stimulating drugs were in use by the 1970s; multiples are a well known and not unheard of result.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 14
26 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

What Kate really needs to do, regarding her weight issues, is to go to a therapist. I've heard before that morbid obesity is usually a symptom of underlying mental issues. She obviously has very low self-esteem and is pretty unhappy with every facet of her life. If they were to address these issues has well as her weight problem, I would be more then happy to see more about Kate's weight loss journey. Sometimes it is about more then just diet and exercise.

I'd suggest it's less about underlying mental issues and more about metabolic syndrome, PCOS, thyroid problems, or other issues. I'm not saying that she may not have some other things going on, but it looked to me that she began gaining weight at a young age, unlike her brothers who could eat anything they wanted. That leads me to think it's physical.

• Love 3

Another nice episode with all the twist and turns and twist ending.....again. I'm not sure if I buy Mandy Moore as old lad next to the grown up actors. I know it happens all the time on tv. Especially, on the soaps where the parents and kids are played by actors 5 years apart but Mandy Moore looks way toooo young. IMO!!!

51 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Whenever a show is set the past, there are "anachronism" watches on various fronts, including names. It's easy to go by the Social Security Administration data to see what names were most popular when the characters would have been born. When characters have names outside of the most common ones for their time, it's said by some to be a "mistake" on the writers' part or a subliminal attempt to make the character seem more modern and relatable, especially if the name became more popular a generation or two later. Rebecca, likely born in the late 1940s or early 1950s, is "supposed" to be named, Linda, or Mary, or Susan, I guess. Personally, as someone with an name that never got past the 200s in its peak yet has encountered several people with the same name in life, I realize that people with names beyond the Top 20 do, in fact, exist. So long as it's a name that was actually known to be in use at the time, it's hard to call this an "inaccuracy". I mean, we are not talking about Baby Boomer lovebirds Nevaeh and Maximus.

If I'm remembering right, the novel Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier was published late 30s or early 40s and was pretty popular, so I just figured Rebecca-the-show-character's mom was a reader.

It also occurred to me yesterday, as I think some have mentioned, that it was Jack's 36th birthday, not Rebecca's. She could be several years younger than him, meaning that in present day, they're only aging her to early-to-mid 60s-ish?

• Love 4

Dang!  You'd think Kevin burned down an orphanage.  He quit a job he hated.

I'm fine with the "now other people are out of work" angle of protest (a reason Bill Lawrence gave for doing a year of post-Scrubs w/new interns), but the show hasn't given us that angle (yet), so the "other people" are metaphorical.  

This feels more like a jumping-off point for a character at the start of a new series.  Not proof he's a dick for turning down the money.

Now if he uses his new free time to burn down an orphanage...

• Love 15
On September 27, 2016 at 10:07 PM, pinkelephant3 said:

I'm hooked love it and love how there has been a twist at each end! 

Just the opposite for me.  I loved the pilot's twist, but...

On September 27, 2016 at 10:24 PM, Cardie said:

Yep, the showrunner has confirmed that there will be. If the show runs season after season and we're still finding out shockers about the past, it could get contrived.

You can say that again.  If they are really going to twist every week, then I am out.

4 hours ago, Dejana said:

It's not unheard of for multiples to tease each other about being "older" or "younger" and it's technically true, albeit by minutes rather than years. I've known a few sets of twins and it always came up at some point with each of them, who was older or younger.

I have encountered that too, and it always struck me as stupid.

7 hours ago, La Traviata said:

I will never believe someone is truly happy being fat and I hate how in this day and age, when people are so afraid of being accused of fat shaming, they won't even attempt to address the issue.  They'll just pretend everything's fine as opposed to speaking real.

Looks like I'll be one of those people piping up, but you assume being thin will take away all of that ant it will, but it will add other problems. I'm fat because I don't care enough to lose it and while it's irritating not finding clothes to fit, denying myself my favourite things isn't going to make me happy either, even if it does allow me to hike without getting winded (which is an activity, by the way, I find to be the most boring in the world). Speaking for Kate however, she's miserable, clearly, and someone needs to prescribe her a good diet. 

• Love 5

I'm sure they call Randal "little brother," because he was the last to come into their family. However, he might in fact be the oldest. After all, he was born and after an unknown time brought to a fire station ending up in the hospital at the same time as his siblings, but he might be hours older. But I do notice that he is shorter, which just encourages the "little brother," thing.

• Love 12
On September 27, 2016 at 10:43 PM, Pickles said:

And Kate's boyfriend's little patch of hair in the front bothers me. Shave it off!

On September 27, 2016 at 11:13 PM, mojoween said:

I do not like that comma shaped lock of hair on his forehead though.

YES to all this. Toby is a gross horndog and that weird hair swirl is so distracting(ly bad). Kate deserves better.

On the other hand, I thought it was Milo under the prosthetic face, not Miguel, until I read about it here, so what do I know, except that the aging device seems so hokey to me and I wish they'd just left Mandy/Miguel in a separate storyline where they belong, sans creepy fake makeup.

• Love 1

My twins don't seem to make a big deal about one being older, but the younger one is and always has been taller, so it balances out. I do know a mom of twins who has never told her twins which one is older! But for some, those few minutes are like gold in the inevitable sibling squabbling of "I 'm older, I should get special privileges " arguing that most siblings do. My sister who is 3 1/2 years older (not 3 or 4 years, but 3 1/2!), was always playing the I'm older so I should get to go first, sit shotgun, push the elevator button, etc.

• Love 4