Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E23: Reunion Part 3

• Start Topic

Carole needs to take a cue from SNL's Sally O'Malley: "Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Sally O'Malley. I'm proud to say that I am 50 years old. I'm not one of those gals who's afraid to tell her real age, and I like to kick!, stretch!, and KICK! I'm 50! 50 years old! 50 years old. Not afraid to hide my age, 50!"

• Love 15
16 hours ago, Pickles said:

They do a group hug at the end, but Bethenny remains seated?!

In hell, you're not allowed to leave your seat!

Dorinda was the real alpha in that group of lost souls -- like Jean Smart in "Fargo" -- I expected her to birth sons right then and there and send them into battle with Bethenny. LOVED IT.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

Carole needs to take a cue from SNL's Sally O'Malley: "Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Sally O'Malley. I'm proud to say that I am 50 years old. I'm not one of those gals who's afraid to tell her real age, and I like to kick!, stretch!, and KICK! I'm 50! 50 years old! 50 years old. Not afraid to hide my age, 50!"

Carole is one of the only gals on these shows to acknowledge her actual age and celebrate it. She wanted a big fat fancy party when she turned 50. She talked a lot during that time about being proud of her age and wanting the world to know about it. 

Edited by motorcitymom65
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

I think this is what Carole is like, she's been very open about her age.  She had her 50th birthday party on the show!!!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, archer1267 said:

So Bethenny left the Reunion with "a new wound?" Enough with the martyrdom routine. Here's how it works, doll: if you call someone names enough, accuse them on camera of sleeping with everyone in Manhattan, sleeping with married men, etc. they're eventually going to fight back, and fight hard, and you won't like it. What can't you grasp about that?

Narcissists always experience themselves as the wounded one, in spite of the toxic darts they constantly hurl at others - sad, but true.

• Love 20
Just now, motorcitymom65 said:

Carole is one of the only gals on these shows to acknowledge her actual age and celebrate it. She wanted a big fat fancy party when she turned 50. She talked a lot during that time about being proud of her age and wanting the word to know about it. 

Yes, but then she met Adam and everything changed. Now she is very uptight and defensive about it.  

• Love 23
4 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

Yes, but then she met Adam and everything changed. Now she is very uptight and defensive about it.  

I don't see that, I think she's very uptight and defensive about Adam's age because people were calling him a child, a baby and pretending a 30 year old man was equivalent to a 17 year old boy.  I don't believe Carole is defensive about her own age at all, but everyone else sure seems to be!  There seems to be a mission to put Carole in her old lady place, now that she's Jules' mother and all. 

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, shoegal said:

I don't see that, I think she's very uptight and defensive about Adam's age because people were calling him a child, a baby and pretending a 30 year old man was equivalent to a 17 year old boy.  I don't believe Carole is defensive about her own age at all, but everyone else sure seems to be!  Now that she's Jules' mother and all. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one  :)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

LOL right?  Talk about damning somebody with faint praise.  Geeze louise.  I mean, certainly Sonja has her issues, but damn, so do ALL of them. And for Drunkie Dory to be talking about somebody else's problems with booze is really the martini glass calling the vodka clear.   

I love Dorinda, (and to drink), but calling her Drunkie Dory?  I am really laughing here at work!!

Forget me trying to write under the quote box because that will never be allowed to happen.

We went over the generational stuff a lot last week but I appreciate this below.  Carole saying that Jules is only 17 years younger so they're of the same generation?  That's not how it works.  My older brother is only 3 years older than me.  He's Gen X and I'm a Millennial.  Carole is part of my parents' generation and I am part of Jules.  So yeah, the denial bothers me.  I love generational stuff.  This is all factual.  Can be found on Wikipedia at a moment's glance.... public knowledge.  Not still being decided.  

Haven't watched part 3 and still don't think I want to.  The whole generation thing can't simply be put down to "old enough to be someone's mother". 

Baby Boomer Generation: 1945-1964 

Carole born 1963

Generation X: 1965-1980

This is my group and I suspect where all the other women, aside from Jules and Carole, fall.

Millenials: 1981-2000

Jules (1981?) and definitely Adam.  

test

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, shoegal said:

Luann had me lolling with the "I did not say we had an open marriage!" Cut to scene of Luann saying, "We had an open marriage."

That is some Dave Chappelle Show Rick James sketch type shit!

200_s.gif

200_s.gif

Lu has a terrible memory though. Not saying she has not been known to tell lies or lie by omission but she has a bad memory even about random inconsequential shit and not even about her but events, people, dates, times etc.  

30 minutes ago, Jextella said:

The other thing is that I think we've seen a cap on Bethenny's intelligence.  Dorinda surpasses her by a mile, IMO.   I even think LuAnne has an edge over her in this department.  

I was with you until Luann. I don't think Luann is dumb but she is not good at arguing. She gets easily flustered and is not succinct or cogent which is why she gets usually verbally bested by Bethanny. I think Sonja has it over on Lu but she is too much of a sycophant to go in on B. 

Agree wholeheartedly about Dorinda and thought she acquitted herself quite well vs B. However, the thing about Dorinda is she has a sensitive trip wire. The most innocuous comment and she goes off like a land mine blowing your ass off in the process - see stale b-day cake. 

• Love 13
29 minutes ago, shoegal said:

I don't know about you people, but if you've had a positive strep test just 48 hours ago, even if you are on antibiotics, you can keep your hugs to yourself thank you very much.  Call me in a week.  If I had strep, regardless of being on antibiotics, I would try to limit my physical interactions with others as to be courteous.  Geez, Bethenny can't even try NOT to give the other women strep throat without being called a cold venomous bitch. 

Well that's just cause she is...

• Love 8

Carole wasn't defensive about her age a few years ago but since she's been with a man who is 23 years younger than her for a while now, I think she's become more sensitive about both her own age and Adam's age.  And, it seems from what Carole has said about having a few good summers left, they won't have a long term future because of the age difference.

Edited by breezy424
  • Love 17

Okay, I admit that between the tornado which came up my street (I'm fine, thanks, but I saw at least 4 houses of neighbors which won't have anyone living in them any time soon and spent 2 hours with a chain saw clearing my back yard today) added to the fact that I don't give two fucks about screeching, immature, self-involved women...okay, I didn't watch last night.

Frankly, it sounds like I just missed more of the same.

I love the snark here; the show? Not so much. Call me a kook but I actually prefer civil conversations between intelligent adults. I'd also rather see something of their real lives, not this constantly scripted bullshit. But that's just me....

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Alonzo Mosely FBI said:

Because Satan Andy won't let anyone come for Bethenny at least Lu can go after Carole, Bethenny's mouthpiece. In ice hockey there's a penalty for 3rd man in on a fight because it becomes grossly unfair and dangerous when it's 2 on 1. I'm happy Carole gets stepped on for 3rd man in, personally. I don't think Lu totally loathes Carole she is directed her Bethenny anger at Carole for parroting (pirate-ing ha?) in. 

I'm not so sure I agree with this. I mean, Dorinda certainly "came for her," so I have some serious doubts that "Satan Andy" is prohibiting them from going after Bethenny.  Now, if Dorinda mysteriously gets the boot next season, perhaps I shall revise my opinion!

Furthermore, after being one of the few people who expressed happiness and seemingly sincere congratulations for Lu and Tom's engagement (at least before the cheating), Lu's bitchiness now seems misplaced and childish.  Not to mention how she's made a big deal during the season about how she wanted to "repair" her and Carole's friendship, yada yada.

Lastly, it seems like Ramona stans for Bethenny much more overtly than Carole. At least at the reunions. Hell Sonja did her fair share last night too. Yet, still, Carole is the whipping girl. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Carole wasn't defensive about her age a few years ago but since she's been with a man who is 23 years younger than her for a while now, I think she's become more sensitive about both her own age and Adam's age.  And, it seems from what Carole has said about having a few good summers left, they won't have a long term future because of the age difference.

LOL, clearly a woman who is denial about her age.

12 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I love Dorinda, (and to drink), but calling her Drunkie Dory?  I am really laughing here at work!!

Forget me trying to write under the quote box because that will never be allowed to happen.

We went over the generational stuff a lot last week but I appreciate this below.  Carole saying that Jules is only 17 years younger so they're of the same generation?  That's not how it works.  My older brother is only 3 years older than me.  He's Gen X and I'm a Millennial.  Carole is part of my parents' generation and I am part of Jules.  So yeah, the denial bothers me.  I love generational stuff.  This is all factual.  Can be found on Wikipedia at a moment's glance.... public knowledge.  Not still being decided.  

I'm just gonna disagree about Jules being a millennial.  If she was born before 1982, and if she's 35 in 2016 it seems she was, then she's a Gen X'er by most standards.  Millennials are by most standards born after 1982, and graduating high school on or after 2000 in the new millennium

• Love 4

This may have been mentioned but I was struck by how when it was time to cite something they regretted doing during the season, everyone but self-absorbed Luann said something kind and decent about another person and all she regretted was getting into the argument that led to his being a manwhore that night. She is despicable. Even Bethenny, who I like, said she regretted being so mean.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Sonja's meltdown had a pinch of truth to it. They don't care for her . However her reaction was poorly executed but what can we expect from a woman who saves a single packet of ten cent ramen for a rainy day, hoards expired bottles of Wesson oil, thinks she's recently partied with John John and P Diddy, and a couple late night boinks a relationship makes. 

John John and P Diddy were celeb impersonators...

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Typical bitch move on Carole's part to give herself more good summers than Adam. She said she had 5 left, putting hers at 58 with Adam getting 20, ending his good summers at 50. Why does she get more good summers than him?

Edited by Ki-in
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Ki-in said:

Typical bitch move on Carole's part to give herself more good summers than Adam. She said she had 5 putting hers at 58 with Adam getting 20, putting his good summers at 50. Why does she get more good summers than him?

Probably because she knows Adam wants kids and that means he will have teenagers at some point and everyone knows that it is impossible to have good summers and teenagers.  There!  LOL

• Love 21
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Actually, all of them except Ramona and Bethenny are on the edge of their generation cutoffs, possibly muddying the waters.

I think the muddying comes from social scientists initially lumping twenty years into one broad generation, but these days, the housewives born between '57 and 1965 are considered part of Generation Jones (latter half of the boomers) which is a very different experience than first wave boomers -- Michelle Obama vs Hillary Clinton. But (whatever the generational marker) Carole is old enough to be Jules' mother and if she were genuinely secure with her age, she would have smiled and said something funny riffing on motherhood, instead of brushing her shoulder off as if highly insulted.

Edited by film noire
  • Love 11
10 minutes ago, shoegal said:

LOL, clearly a woman who is denial about her age.

I'm just gonna disagree about Jules being a millennial.  If she was born before 1982, and if she's 35 in 2016 it seems she was, then she's a Gen X'er by most standards.  Millennials are by most standards born after 1982, and graduating high school on or after 2000 in the new millennium

Millenialls: 1979-1995/1980-1986

These are the two ranges I found on the internet

Jules: 2016-35=1981 or earliest 1980

Still falls under Millennial no matter how ya slice it.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Kind of like people hating on toddlers because they despise the grandmother. 

Except toddlers don't choose their horrible/awful grandparents or parents or other relatives.  Carole has made a definite choice to go along with Bethenny no matter what she says & does.  And she doesn't come off well by steadfastly & stubbornly supporting her no matter what.  I really think if Bethenny took a gun out & blew Lu's head off before our eyes, Carole would shrug & say whatever & good for you, Bethenny.  The best I could say for Carole is she might (and I ONLY say might) not cheer afterward.  Moaner would cheer cuz that's who she is.  OK, that may be a teeny bit far-fetched (maybe & maybe not).  

Hey, she said she wanted to choke Lu.  I believe her.  Of course Lu could take care of herself & Lu could literally beat the absolute shit outta Bethenny if she tried to choke her, so it's just big talk from a big mouth.  And what would Carole's reaction be if she tried to choke Lu?  Unending support, no doubt.  I'll give Carole that she's consistent with this never-ending support of Bethenny.  I just question her motives.  Is she so palsy-walsy with her because she adores her & they're good girlfriends?  Or is she (as I strongly believe) trying to hold a position for herself on the show by being Bethenny's only friend so she has someone to talk to?  Or is she being ordered by Satan Andy to be Bethenny's only friend (so she has someone to talk to)?  

I believe (as Trump has similarly said) if Bethenny took a machine gun out & started randomly shooting people, Carole would still support her.  Is her support of Bethenny the ceaseless embrace of a loyal good girlfriend -- or something else entirely?  Uh, like preserving for herself a spot on the show (at all costs) because this show is her only source of income now that her writing career has crapped out.

10 hours ago, motorcitymom65 said:

Not picking on this post, but I've read this a lot (more last week). Why does the fact that Lu was such a raging bitch to Carole make people happy? Carole was happy for Lu. She was happier than almost anyone else. Lu said this herself. In one of the segments that got cut (it's on the Bravo site), Lu said that the gift that Carole gave to her at the pre-engagement party is kept on her bedside table because it is exquisite and she loves it. Carole forgave Lu. She was better to Lu about Tom than either Ramona or Sonja, yet for some reason Lu was so incredibly nasty to Carole. After the way that Lu treated Carole last year, was forgiven for it, and then continued to treat her at the reunion, I just don't get why anyone thinks it is so fab. 

10 hours ago, esco1822 said:

My read on this is that because everyone hates Bethenny so much and Carole is her bestie, it's basically guilt by association.  People keep wanting to make it look like Carole was such an awful person but I'm totally unconvinced. 

It's not so much (to me) Carole has come off poorly at the reunion, but (particularly in this part) she seemed so damn weak.  I mean, to survive in Housewives-land you need to be not just wildly opinionated, but you also must have the ability to interrupt whenever & be able to yell & scream whenever too.  Not sure why, but Carole was just so weak here.  The only times she contributed was to add onto the nasty digs Bethenny was throwing out at Lu.  So all Carole did was make herself look nasty (along with her palsy-walsy Bethenny) -- and quite petty.

You know, Brian Moylan (writer of the New York Magazine recaps) always mentions the loopy Housewives dilemma which so often pops up -- the fight between 2 people who are not especially likeable & are probably both wrong on various levels.  I'm not invested in the feud between Lu & Carole, and never have been.  It should have ended long ago, and I thought it did.  But the friction between them clearly has remained.  It's much different than the ongoing friction between Lu & Moaner.  That friction is fun & provides us with never-ending giggles.  I kinda love & enjoy the friction between Lu & Moaner.  But the one between Carole & Lu?  Meh.  It's lowball & nasty & neither fun or funny or even enjoyable.  Just meh & mean.

Look, if I was gonna pick a side between Lu & Carole?  Ugh, please don't make me pick between these 2 shitty characters.  I guess in the past I woulda picked Carole right away.  I don't disagree with Bethenny that Lu is a liar & a hypocrite & a generally self-absorbed & nasty woman & someone not to be trusted (um, and yes, Bethenny would absolutely fit the same description).  And she was shitty to Carole in the whole Adam business.  But Carole is no shrinking violet.  She's gotten in quite a shitoad of nasty digs to Lu.  Was she justified?  

Well, here's my point about Carole.  And it's an important one to highlight about her.  She dragged out her issues with Lu for way too long -- instead of just hashing it out with her & moving on.  I know, it's what they're encouraged to do in Housewives-land.  But it's annoying as fuck.  Yeah, yeah, yeah, look at Bethenny & her grudges she holds against Lu for trivial shit she did 8 years ago.  Sheesh, isn't it so fuckin' exhausting to hold onto this trivial nonsense for so long?  They all talk about "moving forward" & letting go (oh God, I know I'm gonna vomit if I hear this from any of these broads again) -- and yet none of 'em ever actually do that, do they?

The prob with Carole is she's all over the place.  She made a nice, rather moving & articulate statement that she should have talked it out with Lu.  Great & awesome, Carole.  Except there she was, completely contradicting herself -- in this part, as she did consistently in the previous 2 parts, making these whispering & barely audible (but nevertheless unmistakably catty & nasty) comments, which were add-ons to Bethenny's withering & blisteringly nasty insults to Lu.  I mean, even if you totally hate Lu's guts, does even she deserve to be endlessly insulted & treated like shit by Bethenny (and Carole)?  Does anyone deserve to be slaughtered this way for ANY reason?  I just don't think Bethenny or Carole are doing themselves any favors with this behavior.  

So is the "hate" now toward Carole ONLY because of her undying support for Bethenny?  She does herself no favors by her responses to viewers on Twitter.  With these comments, she reveals herself to be thin-skinned, nasty & with little sense of humor, wit or ability to be self-aware or self-deprecating.  Whatever sense of like I have had for Carole has vanished.  Can't blame that on Bethenny.  It's based on the choices & statements Carole herself has made.  That's ALL on Carole.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, Cherrio said:

I agree.  Also, Luann was calling Sonja delusional and crazy. Luann, you were a guest in her home. Some friend......

Maybe not a good friend, but certainly an accurate statement.

A couple of people have said they feel sorry for Sonja because her grandiose lying comes from deep insecurity.  Maybe it does, but at some point, get some therapy to deal with it.  Because it must be exhausting listening to her lie constantly about her life -  the toaster oven, the brand, the clothes, partying with dead people and people who say they have never met you, the yacht you haven't seen in over 10 years, etc.  I would have walked away/smacked her upside the head years ago.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Millenialls: 1979-1995/1980-1986

These are the two ranges I found on the internet

Jules: 2016-35=1981 or earliest 1980

Still falls under Millennial no matter how ya slice it.

No, not really.  http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/advertising/story/2012-05-03/naming-the-next-generation/54737518/1

"No one knows who will name the next generation," says Neil Howe, who, along with his deceased co-author and business partner, William Strauss, is widely credited with naming the Millennials, a generation he figures spans from about 1982 to 2004.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

No Carole fan, but I don't think she is deluded about her age in the least.  She knows how old she is, however, I agree that she is sensitive about it due to her relationship. There is a touch of realism and sadness about the 5 good summers comment.  I remember B early on saying that she couldn't even make jokes about Adam being a fetus or rip on the age difference because Carole would get sour about it. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

Typical bitch move on Carole's part to give herself more good summers than Adam. She said she had 5 left, putting hers at 58 with Adam getting 20, ending his good summers at 50. Why does she get more good summers than him?

I agree  she wasn't defense because she was still in her 40's and dating a man her own age. Now she is in her 50's dating a man young enough to be her son.

I think it's reasonable to be more sensitive about your age under those circumstances.

I think Carole has always looked older and I don't find her attractive, plus hearing her make fun of John's shape made me dislike her more.  She has taken great pride in her body which is nice, but she cant hide the age her face shows.

• Love 11

I usually see 1981 in most places as the marker of the oldest Millennial year (although I've seen 1980, sure.).  

Regardless of that, whether Jules was born in 1980 or 1981 or 1982 or 1989.  Or even 1979.  Jules is of a different generation than Carole. Sorry Carole!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 9
24 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

I'm not so sure I agree with this. I mean, Dorinda certainly "came for her," so I have some serious doubts that "Satan Andy" is prohibiting them from going after Bethenny.  Now, if Dorinda mysteriously gets the boot next season, perhaps I shall revise my opinion!

Furthermore, after being one of the few people who expressed happiness and seemingly sincere congratulations for Lu and Tom's engagement (at least before the cheating), Lu's bitchiness now seems misplaced and childish.  Not to mention how she's made a big deal during the season about how she wanted to "repair" her and Carole's friendship, yada yada.

Lastly, it seems like Ramona stans for Bethenny much more overtly than Carole. At least at the reunions. Hell Sonja did her fair share last night too. Yet, still, Carole is the whipping girl. 

I think Luann went for Carole on the reunion because Carole went for Luann on the reunion with a bunch of snide comments - butting in and backing up Bethenny.  If Carole kept her mouth shut, Luann wouldn't have said anything to her. Carole was buying relevance at Luann's expense.

• Love 23
57 minutes ago, shoegal said:

I don't know about you people, but if you've had a positive strep test just 48 hours ago, even if you are on antibiotics, you can keep your hugs to yourself thank you very much.  Call me in a week.  If I had strep, regardless of being on antibiotics, I would try to limit my physical interactions with others as to be courteous.  Geez, Bethenny can't even try NOT to give the other women strep throat without being called a cold venomous bitch. 

If she really wanted to protect the others from catching strep, she should have stayed home but she wasn't contagious so she couldn't. LOL It is nothing more than an additional reason for why she didn't join in with the others, the cold venomous part was her saying that she wasn't going to "fake" a group hug! She had no problem having  a "fake" pleasant dinner with the others last season but she refuses to hug this season because she got called out for her nasty, cold, venomous behavior this season. 

Just an FYI, Bethenny didn't even tell Andy she had strep the day the reunion was filmed, she told him this on her last WWHL appearance, he had no idea that was "sick" the entire reunion! LOL Spin, Spin, Spin

• Love 19

Well, I will surely miss Jules. imo she is an interesting combination - vulnerable, good-hearted and fun. And, of course, there's that colorful Asian-Jewish thing.

Was it really her idea to leave - or did Bravo not invite her back?

Best to Jules and her sweet children!

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I usually see 1981 in most places as the marker of the oldest Millennial year (although I've seen 1980, sure.).  

Regardless of that, whether Jules was born in 1980 or 1981 or 1982 or 1989.  Or even 1979.  Jules is of a different generation than Carole. Sorry Carole!

Isn't the more important question what generation she considers Adam's parents?  Are they in her generation or does she consider them her parents' generation?  Carole's mother would have missed the baby boomer generation by one year.

I kind of get what Carole is saying, but at the same time she needs to indulge Jules when Jules finds these women acting immature.  Jules statement is not that much of a reach, Carole comment regularly on the ladies rude behavior.

• Love 6

I for one applaud Bethanny for staying seated on her chair.

She does not like any of those broads besides Carole so her not hugging is in line with her keepin real persona.

In addition ,even if there is a tiny, tiny chance of getting strep, I doubt any of those women were anxious to hug her, plus they hate her anyways! 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, WireWrap said:

Just an FYI, Bethenny didn't even tell Andy she had strep the day the reunion was filmed, she told him this on her last WWHL appearance, he had no idea that was "sick" the entire reunion! LOL Spin, Spin, Spin

Bethenny said at the reunion that she had strep.  I heard her. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

That is some Dave Chappelle Show Rick James sketch type shit!

200_s.gif

200_s.gif

Lu has a terrible memory though. Not saying she has not been known to tell lies or lie by omission but she has a bad memory even about random inconsequential shit and not even about her but events, people, dates, times etc.  

I was with you until Luann. I don't think Luann is dumb but she is not good at arguing. She gets easily flustered and is not succinct or cogent which is why she gets usually verbally bested by Bethanny. I think Sonja has it over on Lu but she is too much of a sycophant to go in on B. 

Agree wholeheartedly about Dorinda and thought she acquitted herself quite well vs B. However, the thing about Dorinda is she has a sensitive trip wire. The most innocuous comment and she goes off like a land mine blowing your ass off in the process - see stale b-day cake. 

SHE MADE IT NICE!

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, shoegal said:

No, not really.  http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/advertising/story/2012-05-03/naming-the-next-generation/54737518/1

"No one knows who will name the next generation," says Neil Howe, who, along with his deceased co-author and business partner, William Strauss, is widely credited with naming the Millennials, a generation he figures spans from about 1982 to 2004.

One person "figures" it's around 1982

I work for a Financial Advisors Firm. A big reason for the designations was for financial planning purposes and rounding out the wants and needs and habits and ways of life and ways of thinking for different generations. Taking into account what was important, big motivators, big influences of the thinking of people during certain eras therefore giving a better understanding about their thinking about retirement. Goals back then vs. goal today based on what molds their priorities during their coming of age. They differ hence the grouping of generations into these classes. 

True it isn't an exact science but just a moment of reflection and some pretty average knowledge clearly paints the picture of the different ages over the years. My sister is a baby boomer. I'm gen x. She grew up with disco, bell bottoms, Donna Summer, psychodelic nightclubs, platform shoes, mustard yellow kitchens and lime green dinette sets. I grew up with banana clips, walkmans, LA Gear, acid wash, mtv, fall of the soviet union, grafitti, breakdancing, Run DMC and we are only 13 years apart. It's not so much the years its about the ERA....

I mean it's really non debatable when you list the huge difference between what we KNOW are the cultural differences experienced between someone born in 1963 and someone born in 1981... I mean, come on...

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've seen the year at 1984 as the start of the Millennial generation, but the guy credited with naming the Millennials puts it at 1982, and that's generally accepted as the generation that came of age in the new millennium. Jules had to have graduated high school in the 90's, which is the hallmark of the last of the Gen Xers (my generation) so that I think that 1982 is a pretty good start/end date.....but obviously, generation start and end years are not cut and dried, as we've seen here.  Carole, being born in August of 1963 just four months before when it's generally accepted as the starting year for Gen X, I think, could be caught in that wiggle room, as is Jules.  I don't think it's unreasonable for Carole to consider herself a Gen Xer and to consider Jules the same. 

8 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

One person "figures" it's around 1982

Not just one person, but this person in particular is the guy who is credited with naming the generation.  I figure he's got a pretty good pulse on when the generation begins and ends and I defer to his expertise.

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, shoegal said:

I've seen the year at 1984 as the start of the Millennial generation, but the guy credited with naming the Millennials puts it at 1982, and that's generally accepted as the generation that came of age in the new millennium. Jules had to have graduated high school in the 90's, which is the hallmark of the last of the Gen Xers (my generation) so that I think that 1982 is a pretty good start/end date.....but obviously, generation start and end years are not cut and dried, as we've seen here.  Carole, being born in August of 1963 just four months before when it's generally accepted as the starting year for Gen X, I think, could be caught in that wiggle room, as is Jules.  I don't think it's unreasonable for Carole to consider herself a Gen Xer and to consider Jules the same. 

Not just one person, but this person in particular is the guy who is credited with naming the generation.  I figure he's got a pretty good pulse on when the generation begins and ends and I defer to his expertise.

There is no way that Carole is a Gen X. She is simply too old.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

There is no way that Carole is a Gen X. She is simply too old.

Two years ago, Gen Xers were turning 50.  http://www.nextavenue.org/gen-xer-asks-am-i-ready-50/ 

ETA:  I think Carole and Jules are both born in the transitions.  Carole was born 4 months before what is generally defined as the start of the Gen X generation, and Jules just before the start of the Millennial generation.  I believe that it muddies the waters. 

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, Ki-in said:

It's because generations, math and knowing how to dress, write and be her own person, escape her?

She's an empty canvas that beth shit on to give her something to present to the class?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, shoegal said:

I've seen the year at 1984 as the start of the Millennial generation, but the guy credited with naming the Millennials puts it at 1982, and that's generally accepted as the generation that came of age in the new millennium. Jules had to have graduated high school in the 90's, which is the hallmark of Gen Xers (my generation) so that I think that 1982 is a pretty good start/end date.....but obviously, generation start and end years are not cut and dried, as we've seen here.  Carole, being born in August of 1963 just four months before when it's generally accepted as the starting year for Gen X, I think, could be caught in that wiggle room, as is Jules.  I don't think it's unreasonable for Carole to consider herself a Gen Xer and to consider Jules the same. 

You seem to have forgotten this part of my post:

True it isn't an exact science but just a moment of reflection and some pretty average knowledge clearly paints the picture of the different ages over the years. My sister is a baby boomer. I'm gen x. She grew up with disco, bell bottoms, Donna Summer, psychodelic nightclubs, platform shoes, mustard yellow kitchens and lime green dinette sets. I grew up with banana clips, walkmans, LA Gear, acid wash, mtv, fall of the soviet union, grafitti, breakdancing, Run DMC and we are only 13 years apart. It's not so much the years its about the ERA....

I mean it's really non debatable when you list the huge difference between what we KNOW are the cultural differences experienced between someone born in 1963 and someone born in 1981... I mean, come on...

Also:

Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation[1] or Generation Y, abbreviated to Gen Y) are the demographic cohort between Generation X and Generation Z. There are no precise dates for when the generation starts and ends. Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and use the mid-1990s to the early 2000s as final birth years for the Millennial Generation.

Let's also consider most people's average understanding of the term "generation". Most people aren't even thinking Gen X, Baby Boomer, Millenials and if they are I GUARANTEE they aren't thinking about what those ACTUAL dates are and instead are thinking of ERA's that most likely span thru the decades. Kinda like when I get nostalgic over "I love the 80's".

In that respect I'm guessing that Jules will get all warm and gushy when "I love the 90's" special is on whereas I'm guessing Carole's gonna be pulling out the bell bottoms and disco ball when they play "I love the 70's...

Just sayin'... Same "generation" my ass!!!!!!

Edited by Yours Truly
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, zoeysmom said:

Isn't the more important question what generation she considers Adam's parents?  Are they in her generation or does she consider them her parents' generation? 

His father is 65 years old

• Love 4

None of these fuckers are even sure of what generation they are from.

The naming of 'generations' is just a horse shit move from each group to give them an identity and a starting point for their ignorance about the people that came before them.

Each previous 'generation' just made it easier for the next group to whine and complain about having to work as hard as the people that came before them.

And then came 'social media' - to insure the following generations turn into a bunch of vid-iots trading insults, photos and half truths over the interwebz.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Yours Truly said:

Well, I am guessing Carole probably doesn't identify with a generation defined by the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights movement, so yeah, I think there is wiggle room.   I mean, she's more of a stoner, slacker generation.  LOL

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 4
24 minutes ago, shoegal said:

Sorry, I was born in 57 and consider Carole in my generation, she is not anywhere near my son's generation, he was born in 83', the same generation as Jules. Carole is a baby boomer no matter what she tries to claim. LOL

• Love 14
5 hours ago, Sai said:

Ooooh...good for Ramona.  I don't do twitter so please keep us updated if Andy or Bethenny reply.

Bethenny tweeted this (not in reply to Ramona) but in response to someone else:

"I don't double kiss & I don't fake hug. Thankfully, I had strep so it wasn't an option anyway."

In another tweet about it she tells someone else:

Clipboard01.jpg

So the strep is a non-issue - she would not have participated in the hug anyway.

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 10