Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Mad City: Better to Reign in Hell...

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

Gordon works in a monster-ridden Gotham as a bounty hunter and seeks to find answers about the Indian Hill escapees, and why their powers appear to be killing them. Meanwhile, Bruce’s doppelganger roams the streets, and Barbara and Tabitha open a new nightclub called The Sirens.

Not quite sure what to tackle first, so this will probably be a bit of a mess:

Pros:

-I liked that we got to see the entire cast this episode. If I remember correctly, the season 2 premieres (fall and winter) only had half-ish of the cast active in the episodes, so it was good to see everyone.

-I like Jamie Ching as Valerie Vale, and her character! She brings a lot of energy to the role, and I hope it continues! I'm also hoping she stays recently relevant and doesn't get pushed to the side after a while. I wasn't the fondest of how Lee was pushed to the side/'girlfriend' role last season (she could have been utilized better).

-I like how it's been officially established that Penguin and Butch at are friends (or friends enough that Penguin is respecting Butch's feelings for Tabs by not murdering her until his say so (if that ever happens).

-Harvey said he loved Jim like a brother!!!! Such a cinnamon roll.

Cons (I guess?):

-?? I don't really know where I'd rank this premiere in terms of the season (fall and winter) openers...I think I liked both of season 2's better, but this episode was still pretty decent.

-I know Penguin/Nygma interactions are a fan-favorite thing, but I never really got sucked into the hype. They have wonderful chemistry and their scenes are fun, but I hope they don't start having obligatory Nygma/Cobblepot scenes every episode unless it's relevant to the plot.

-Sweet dreams, queen. You'll be missed Ethel Peabody! ?

-Babs completely reverted back to crazy, which is disappointing. I had liked the angle they were playing with her last season with the whole 'is she still crazy/will she reform?' Stuff. Kept it interesting.

-not enough Bullock, as usual. 

-Captain Barnes is having some health issues I see, I'd be fine if they booted him at this point.

-So that's how Ivy is getting aged up. Okay. Not sure how I feel about it. Gonna miss Clare Foley.

-I'm actually starting to get annoyed with all the Butler Beatdowns at this point. I love Alfred action scenes, but he gets stabbed/shot/knocked-out almost every 2 episodes. What's his win/loss ratio at this point? They need to balance out his win/loss ratio in my opinion. Give the man more wins.

Lastly, still no released OST yet, I'm still waiting.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 1

Wow . . . almost a half-hour since Bruce got carted off, and there's no reaction? Damn. I mean, this might be the most batshit crazy show out on network TV. And with a Man-Bat in play, we might actually get bat shit. (HoodlumSheep just posted. I don't feel alone now)

Hi, Ivy! Bye, Ivy! Somebody can fanwank how she can . . . mature thanks to Cap'n Entropy's touch, as opposed to withering and dying like Ms. Peabody. And damn, sucks to have a cool tertiary character get killed in the season opener. I hope Hugo misses her.

Hi, Ed! Bye, Ed! Nice that he comes to the same conclusion about penguins and fish that most fans drew two seasons ago.

Have Fish and Barbara ever met? My memory stinks. I'd like to see two expert scenery-munchers duel against each other. Damn, Babs is fun. And Butch is still a doofus.

Are we allowed to use the name of the group first seen in Scott Snyder's run on Batman? Also, is Michelle Gomez in play? Seriously, I don't take proper notes.

I'm cool with a race-bent Vicki Valerie Vale. It's always going to be weird to see Jamie Chung in a role because I associate her with her tours of duty on Bunim-Murray shows. One question: She appeared to have a digital camera, yet she needs a darkroom??

Anybody else thinking of "Perchance To Dean" from The Venture Bros seeing MonsterBruce? If he winds up getting killed hugging a mine shaped like Alfred, I think Jackson and Doc should sue. And who are the other monsters? One of the guys fighting Jimbo had his palms out, and I was thinking Ten-Eyed Man, but maybe that was Man-Bat.

Good to have this show back. I'll be DVRing Supergirl until further notice.

• Love 2

Jim Gordon Bounty Hunter.

Hey Jim you get an A for your planning but an F for execution.  Still badass badassing.  

Best line of the night "Don't tell me you have a conscience."

I know she is not a popular character but I love Barbara Keen.  I love her more and more each time I see her.  The first season I admit she was kind of boring but now that she has gone full on batshit crazy and psychotic she is fun.  I loved when she beat the ever-loving shit out of mobster guy and then told Penguin that he only came after her because of Butch.

• Love 3

Well...uh...OK.

What did I just watch? (and I don't ask this in a good way)

I'm really beginning to believe the writers have lost more of their marbles than everyone at Indian Hill combined.

OK, I'll start by giving them some credit- at least there was some method to the madness in that the freaks would lose their powers because their body's cells would replace the DNA they were injected with, even though DNA wouldn't work like that. However, the monsters just feel like "throw-ins", special props the writers can use to make people believe they're "out there" when the truth is they just want to test out their CGI. Nice bat wings...but will I otherwise remember that monster?

I'm not sure there really was much to this episode other than to show how much of a pain in the rear Valerie Hale is and that Jim Gordon is now a bounty hunter...and a really bad one at that. Surely his time at Indian Hill would teach him that his fists and his guns are useless tools against these freaks, but hey...why mess with characterization and have Jim actually learn something for once?

Oh, and Jim...way to be an experienced bounty hunter. You have your target in front of you, someone distracts you...and you decide winning the fight against your non-target is worth more than your actual target. Seriously, buddy...you gotta have your priorities straight.

Also...how do so many freaky "murder machines" go unnoticed and unimpeded for six months? You'd think after a week of carnage the national army would get called in, no matter how incompetent the administrators of Gotham may actually be.

Sure, there was a plot where the protagonists were trying to figure out who the monsters were targeting (eventually revealing Ethel Peabody (RIP)), but it really didn't mean anything...I didn't get any sense of urgency from anyone regarding this plot, and I didn't see how the protagonists stood to really gain from executing this plan. It's not like Jim had any difficulty finding the monsters anyhow.

The side plots were somewhat intriguing, though- the uneasy truce Penguin has with Barbara and Tabitha was interesting, and until the fake peril at the end, Bruce and Alfred confronting Wayne was a joy. Oh, and Penguin meeting up with the Riddler and Nygma solving those puzzles...that was fun. I also liked how Nygma had the most pertinent line in the show- one the writers themselves should heed- telling the Penguin that details can just "get in the way". Yeah...don't worry about the minor things. Just get to the point.

The Bullock Meter- 4. OK, so our old friend Harvey Bullock got a demotion back to detective...which I think he probably wanted, and Nathaniel Barnes is better at it anyway (although Barnes adds nothing to the show right now)...and at least Barnes acknowledged that Bullock did a good job subbing in for him (and had the line of the night when he suggested the next time he has a pit in his stomach about Bullock it'd be gas). Bullock also had some good zingers and had some role in the plot by being the source of the Peabody reveal. However...he really didn't do too much, as Bullock seemed to be just there to banter with Lucius Fox and to be a prop to make you remember that Gotham actually has a police force (and one competent officer). I'll be honest- I'm disappointed that Barnes came back, because Bullock being forced to deal with the monsters would have been a nice storyline and seeing him grow into the captain's role seemed like a natural path for him. The end of last season seemed to finally give Bullock a path to a meaningful role on this show...and, unfortunately, the writers whiffed.

Good for Michael Chiklis, though, I guess.

Episode Grade: C-. While I didn't expect a lot of answers in the premiere, I don't think the writers were at all effective in really creating a lot of intrigue for the rest of the season. The monsters are just plain and generic, there are too many characters not getting used properly and the writers still fall into same trap of putting canon characters in peril without realizing it's fake drama anyway. The one sliver of hope, though, is that last year the writing tightened up as the season wore on, so I'm hoping S3 follows suit.

• Love 2

It's not that I'm not fond of Babs, but I think so far I still liked her best near the end of season 2 when they were playing coy with how much she was 'cured' of her craziness. I think it's because I keep thinking about how on earth they're going to justify Jim's daughter being named after her (if they ever decide to take that route or even reach that point). I don't know. I'm a little disappointed. Stabby Babs can still be fun, though.

Sad about Jim and Lee, but I'm glad that Lee appears to be happy.

eta: another thing that's slowly starting to annoy me a bit as well (besides the Butler beatdowns), is Selina always hanging out with whatever villain group of the week. I get that she floats around, but it just doesn't quite work for me anymore. Oh look, it's Fish and co....and Selina. Penguin and Butch! And Selina. My biggest issue with it I think is that it's never really explained why she's hanging with the different groups on a week-to-week basis. She's just always sort of there. 

People can probably argue that it fits her character, but I need a little more substance at this point to her just randomly tagging along with the top dogs of the week. *shrugs* 

I know I'm probably being nitpicky.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Love 2

Can people STOP getting ambushed on this show next episode? Gordon, Ivy, Bruce... it seems everybody on this show lacks anything resembling peripheral vision, the ability to shoot people when they have the chance, and especially the ability to actually CHECK for threats before doing anything. Bruce was especially stupid, he didn't even bother to take a look around before checking on Alfred.

At least the writers gave a decent reason why Fish doesn't just brainwash everybody she comes across, most shows barely even bother with something like that. Did they bother to explain why Butch is back to being Penguin's lapdog again? Or why Butch doesn't just go running straight to Fish? As I recall Butch was just briefly working with Penguin to deal with Strange.

• Love 3

Gotham is back and just as crazy as ever!  If nothing else, even when the show falters, I have to admit I rarely can predict where it is heading.

I was waiting for Gordon's scene with him seeing Lee to be a dream sequence, since it looked so odd, but I guess it was true that she has moved on.  Since Morena Baccarin is still listed in the main cast though, I'm guessing she'll sticking around though.

Enjoying Valerie, even if she's a bit of a typical pushy, spunky, go-getting reporter.  Happy to see Jamie Chung get another gig, since Once Upon A Time only seems to bring Mulan back once or twice every season.

Barbara and Tabitha running their own club is hilarious and awesome.  I love both Butch still pining for Tabitha, and Oswald's annoyance over the entire thing.  He's somehow become the normal person out of this entire gang.  Again, the The Penguin is the sane one.

Fish and the rest of Strange's experiments actually get sick every time they use their powers, so they need to find him, to fix all of that.  Too bad Peabody already had to die for it.  Not quite sure why Selina is still hanging around.  Of course, Ivy had to get herself caught and now has fallen into a sewer.  Oh, and reverse "Fountain of Youth" guy briefly grabbed her, so that's why 

Spoiler

when she comes back, she'll be older, sexy Ivy, of course.

Barnes is back, and still kind of dick.  Bullock is still around and awesome, even if his screen time continues to be kind of short.

Bruce gets more then he bargain before, by poking the hornets nest and getting himself kidnapped.  Oh, Bruce!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, paigow said:

Hugo Strange created Actual Batman 1.0???? Bruce Wayne is Metaphorical Batman 1.0

If that guy's name turns out to be Kirk Langstrom I am going to go absolutely (wait for it)... batshit.

• Love 4

I'm not sure there really was much to this episode other than to show how much of a pain in the rear Valerie Hale is and that Jim Gordon is now a bounty hunter...and a really bad one at that. Surely his time at Indian Hill would teach him that his fists and his guns are useless tools against these freaks, but hey...why mess with characterization and have Jim actually learn something for once?

It's Valerie Vale, as in Vicki Vale, a photojournalist girlfriend of Bruce in the comics played in the Tim Burton Batman by Kim Basinger. I'm assuming Valerie is related, since Vicki is supposed to be Bruce's age.

It would have been funny if the guy in the house with Lee was played by Ryan Reynolds. I'm just going to think she left Jim for Deadpool anyway!

Huh. So they're not just going to recast Ivy and everybody pretends she's the same person.  They're actually going to have her physically transform into someone older in-universe.

I really hope the lady in the mask is Aunt Harriet.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Whoops. Got a letter wrong...guess it shows how excited I was for Vale.

Oh, and PTV... what happened to the old style of reviews? I loved those. Also, while I thought Suicide Squad kind of sucked, I did think Will Smith rocked. Wonder how long it is before he comes to this show?

Favorite line of the night: "Penguins eat fish."

This seemed to be more of a set up episode, which is understandable, it was a premiere. I'm glad there'll be an in-universe reason for Ivy getting aged up though I think there's already plenty of villains older than Bruce as it is. Was sad to see Miss Peabody go but if she had already testified against Hugo Strange, she probably wasn't long for this world anyway.

The Wayne manor needs some security, it's far too easy for people to break in. And please, more Harvey. He's been criminally underused for far too long.

• Love 6

FWIW, my guess is that Gordon misinterpreted what he saw at Lee's place. Although, I admit it did look like a more than friendly kiss. I thought the opening monster was Killer Croc - wrong.

I still think Will Smith is the best actor in the family. Jaden was terrible in The Get Down, his face had the same expression the entire series, blank. And Jada was slightly better in this ep, usually she just chews all the scenery. 

It's a good thing Jim's not a cop anymore. He was a terrible one, getting a witness killed is bad for everyone. How is this version of Jim ever going to become Commissioner? The only way I can see is no one else wants the job and he gets it by default, not skill level. 

Baby Bruce is turning more and more into Batman. Selina just goes to whoever, I guess that's cat like. I hope we get a Selina and Barbara scene, I started to like Barbara when they were roommates. Poor Butch still crushing on Tabitha. Tabitha has much more chemistry with Barbara. Who apparently is proto Harley Quinn. 

The new reporter is a little cliche, she's okay for now. 

Harvey needs more to do. And he would if Jim wasn't such a lone wolf. He doesn't have the skill or brains to fight all of Gotham on his own. He hasn't learned his lesson yet, so I won't get my hopes up. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Huh. So they're not just going to recast Ivy and everybody pretends she's the same person.  They're actually going to have her physically transform into someone older in-universe.

That's not entirely out of line with her Post-Crisis origin in the comics - as a college student, Pamela Isley was duped into an experiment that turned that turned her into Poison Ivy.  I guess this is somewhat similar, in that Ivy unwittingly ends up with her powers after a transformation.

Busy opening episode but a lot of it was mostly enjoyable.

This show needs to lose Barnes and preferably soon. Nothing against the actor but the character adds nothing to the show whatsoever and the episode reinforced how little I care for him.

Oswald and Nygma's scene together was perfect. I love those two being friends. Oswald also side eyeing Babs, Tabs and Butch was amusing to no end when he wasn't embarrassing GCPD and obsessing over Fish.

Fish dying I kind of expecting but I did enjoy her scenes and having Marv kill off Peabody and set about Ivy's transition was pretty interesting as well. Selina just realised how out of her depth she was there.

Gordon is a crap bounty hunter but he did the right thing by letting Leslie get on with things. I did like his rapport with Valerie in this one and his scenes with Bullock were great too.

The doppelganger Bruce plot I hope isn't dragged out too long though. Nice stuff with the Court of Owls in this one too, 7/10

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MarkHB said:

If that guy's name turns out to be Kirk Langstrom I am going to go absolutely (wait for it)... batshit.

That is my guess as to who it is.  They haven't brought back Jerome yet, so I'm guessing they decided to give us a glimpse of another one of Batman's rogues gallery.

Court of Owls was one of the few good things in the New 52, so I want to see where they go with it.  I wonder if they're going to stick with comic canon and

Spoiler

reveal that the Talon that attacked Alfred and abducted Bruce is related to Dick.  Granted they can't come out and say Dick Grayson, because well, I don't know if he's been born yet in this continuity, but I wonder if they'll reveal it was his great grandfather.

Oswald and Nygma are awesome together, Tabitha and Barbara are a fun team, and don't worry Butch a lot of guys would turn into stuttering blabbering messes around Tabitha.  Yeah, I know it's shallow, but Jessica Lucas is freaking gorgeous.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Hi, Ivy! Bye, Ivy! Somebody can fanwank how she can . . . mature thanks to Cap'n Entropy's touch, as opposed to withering and dying like Ms. Peabody. 

Marv's powers work as a reverse fountain of youth. Anyone he touches with his bare skin starts aging extremely fast. So fast that it takes only like 10 seconds to age to the point where they die from old age. And the effect only seems to last while Marv is making actual skin to skin contact.

But Marv only touched Ivy for an instant before she fell into the sewer and she started far younger than his other victims in the episode. So Marv's touch was enough to age her the equivalent of a few years (articles about the recasting say that the new Ivy is supposed to have a 19 year-old's body, even though he's played by a 28 year old) but not all the way to old age.

The which Bruce is which, caught me off guard. I don't recall what (if anything) lead to that last season, but since we got introduced to Clay Face, I get it. Though kidnapped Bruce certainly seemed to be acting more like Bruce while street Bruce was confused.

I love that the show knows what it is and is true to that. I'm hoping some stability now in Season 3, lets them work towards a bigger arc, and dials down the guest spots, focusing on the main cast. Monster of the week could get a bit tiring.

Jada Pinkett Smith continues to be the best thing about this show.  Love her portrayal of Fish Mooney.  She is over the top and it's very entertaining.  I enjoyed her collection of goons, but it would have helped to have understood what powers each have.  There's a guy that drains lifeforce, there's Man Bat, there's a girl with short silver hair that might have super speed (?).  And I think there was one more that I can't remember.  Wish she would put more names to each of them.

I still find Gordon to be vanilla bland, and sorry to say, but I'm not the least bit interested in the fate of him and Lee.  She's still in the credits so I assume she comes back to him at some point.  I also don't care for Bullock too much.  He was entertaining and funny in the first season, but now I feel like he's a cartoon character.  If the show only featured Fish vs. Penguin with a side of Selina, I'd be happy.

I don't like the Valerie Vale character, but I think that's mostly because I think Jamie Chung is a horrible actress.  

Agree with others that there's going to be a Bruce switch and nobody will know for a long long time.  Real Bruce will be held in a dungeon somewhere while Long Hair cuts his hair and perfectly adopts all of Real Bruce's mannerisms even though as of today he has absolutely no idea who Bruce is.  Le sigh.

3 hours ago, Traveller519 said:

The which Bruce is which, caught me off guard. I don't recall what (if anything) lead to that last season, but since we got introduced to Clay Face, I get it

The very last scene of S2, when the monsters came shambling off the bus as only monsters can, ended with Emo!Bruce coming into focus as he stopped by the bag lady who had freed them, to say " thank you."

• Love 1

The madness has returned to my TV! The dark skies! The hammy acting! The dude with bat wings! Its just ridiculous, and I still find it endlessly entertaining. And, honestly, there does seem to be some method to its madness. There seems to be a main plot, the main characters are set up, and there seems to be some basic kind of structure. At least, for now. 

I kind of like Barbara, God help me. She is not exactly a multifaceted character, but her evil cackling is entertaining. If they could just find her something to do! 

Sucks that Lee is gone, I hope she comes back. Although, she did manage to find a well lit city (which exist in this world, apparently) so good for her! It must get old living in a city that has worse weather than Seattle, but without all the good farmers markets to make up for it. I guess Vicki Vale Senior is our new love interest? I like Jaimie Chung, so I can get behind that. Normally I get sick of the "plucky girl reporter love interest" character, but she brings a good energy to the part, so I`ll see where this goes. 

• Love 1

-I'm actually starting to get annoyed with all the Butler Beatdowns at this point. I love Alfred action scenes, but he gets stabbed/shot/knocked-out almost every 2 episodes. What's his win/loss ratio at this point? They need to balance out his win/loss ratio in my opinion. Give the man more wins.

Alfred should have his own damn memorial wing at the hospital at this point! And somebody to feed him soft foods and tie his shoes, since the multiple closed head injuries are not helping his cognitive abilities at ALL. Especially since he's apparently hallucinating a caretaker. Come off it, man, you know you and Bruce apparently run this museum/mansion single handed. It's pretty easy since you only use the kitchen and the library.

Jim Gordon, the dummy, has changed but not grown. First the whole "this is a dream sequence, right? Little spinny floaty bits of fluff in the air means dream sequence?" where he finds Lee and takes off without a word, all stoic and manly and STUPID. Man, you have a child! Even if you and Lee are dunzo you are a parent now. The whole "drink with rolled up sleeves and confront superpower mutants" thing is not going to help you connect with your infant. 

And  second, speaking of confronting superpower mutants, do giant trucks always come along to help Jim out? Because any of the mutants I saw should have cleaned his clock many times over without pure dumb luck on his side. I don't care how many people he saved in the Middle East, he isn't Batman, and trying out all these Joe Cool personas on him isn't making him relateable or intriguing. It's making me wonder why the hell anybody still talks to this guy. He's a liability all the way around.

Plucky Reporter Love Interest, Who Are We Fooling is fine but since when do reporters do their own darkroom work?

Babs and Tabby are my favorites of the new season so far, with poor dumb Butch just wearing his heart on his poor dumb sleeve for Tabs. I adore how Barbara had his sad little plan rattled from the get go and how Tabby was all "Aw, that was so sweet in a pathetic way. What?" with one glance at Barbara. She's not used to having somebody pine after her so sincerely. 

Why isn't Penguin under arrest? He's got to have multiple warrants out on him, doesn't he? 

Fish is, as usual, dancing the mambo while everybody else is square dancing. Love how she dresses to the tens no matter what.

Bruce hasn't learned a damn thing about not challenging shadowy cabals and leaving your damn windows open. At NIGHT. 

Fey Forest Spirit Bruce 2 could be a stand in for Original Bruce but who will be using him thus? Alfred and Jim? Selina? Fish?

• Love 1

I would've thought a multi-billionaire genius would be able and inclined to boost up security after throwing the gauntlet. Say, thirty bodyguards posted around the mansion at all times? The boy could afford a private army.

Bruce getting kidnapped is getting rather old.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I thought Lee told Jim she lost the baby. So no failure of parental responsibility.  Was that true or just in my head? Back in the rain when Jim sent her off in the cab and didn't go with her.

Actually, the news that she had lost the baby came later, through Bullock, so there was some ambiguity to it (she could have lied so Jim would be less likely to follow her).

Regarding "Stabby Babs," following last season's Misfits and the Suicide Squad movie, let's be honest: in every way that matters, she's Harley Quinn, and you damn well better be scared.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Actually, the news that she had lost the baby came later, through Bullock, so there was some ambiguity to it (she could have lied so Jim would be less likely to follow her).

Noted, though Jim wouldn't think Harvey would lie to him, so at least he doesn't yet know if he is s father.

Fair enough! I honestly didn't remember that. I think she's lying, of course; to make a clean break and so Jim won't feel more responsible/guilty than he already does, but even I can't blame Jim Gordon for thinking there's no baby.

• Love 1
On 9/20/2016 at 3:36 AM, Lantern7 said:

I'm cool with a race-bent Vicki Valerie Vale. It's always going to be weird to see Jamie Chung in a role because I associate her with her tours of duty on Bunim-Murray shows. One question: She appeared to have a digital camera, yet she needs a darkroom??

It wasn't a digital camera. I checked the scene and the back of the camera is solid brown leather. She's also rolling the film manually for the shots. Just adding to the show's special charm.

bscap0098.jpg

Edited by Telepath
Screencap
  • Love 1
On 9/21/2016 at 2:54 PM, Kathemy said:

It wasn't a digital camera. I checked the scene and the back of the camera is solid brown leather. She's also rolling the film manually for the shots. Just adding to the show's special charm.

bscap0098.jpg

I do love this show's every decade thrown in a blender aesthetic. Really gives it a timeless feel to it.

• Love 1
On 21/09/2016 at 1:48 AM, Snookums said:

Plucky Reporter Love Interest, Who Are We Fooling is fine but since when do reporters do their own darkroom work?

This is not Metropolis...with the fancy Daily Planet budget....

• Love 3

I'm only in this for one thing - the return of Jerome.  All the other freaks bore me to tears.  Bruce getting kidnapped for the 10000000000000000th time bores me.  Jim actually bores me.  Barbara is boring because she has no agenda.  Give her a thought process.  Tabitha is beyond boring.

Jerome is the Joker.  Batman isn't Batman without the Joker.  Period.

The Wayne manor needs some security, it's far too easy for people to break in.

If I ever win that damn lottery I will move into a mansion where I can have floor-to-ceiling window-doors that I can throw open while I luxuriate and watch the drapes billow in the evening breeze.

• Love 2

I thought it was pretty shoddy and immoral of Jim to get Ms. Peabody killed.  What a shame... she was one of the few bright spots of the latter half of last season.

Do any of these characters ever learn their lessons?  Bruce doesn't understand the meaning of a covert investigation.

I can't say I'm too interested in this show anymore.  The plot just goes around in a circle.

I did like the friendship between Penguin and the Riddler.  I hope he gets freed soon.