Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Pillar of Salt

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

I'm not understanding the situational dynamics. The Costco warehouse is the shopping center for the area, yet we are to believe that the colonia which is within walking distance, has kept their location hidden, seemingly out of necessity. Yet at the same time Elena from the hotel comes rolling in and her location is no secret. True, it's a long drive but the Costco gang has vehicles, so why is the knowledge of Elena's location not an issue.

Yeah, this is beyond ridiculous.  Especially considering that one member of the gang knows that his brother is at the hotel, but no the gang wastes resources constantly patrolling looking for Nick and the oxy he promised.  And now have their sites set on the colonia -- why ?  They seem to have a pretty sweet setup where they are -- plus there aren't any walkers bothering them -- why would they want to move in on the colonia ?  The hotel and the colonia can't be the only survivors trading with them.

And what was with that weird warning by the gang member to Elena -- don't come back because we won't be here long.  If they aren't going to be there, why wouldn't Elena go back to scoop up anything left on the shelves ?  It's just shoddy writing all around.

And then you have eagle eye Nick who spots the gang members at a far distance just as they happen to be watching him through binoculars.  Really show ?  Really ?

• Love 8
9 hours ago, oakville said:

The ice kept the fish fresh!

I know they needed ice at that moment for that purpose. But I also heard Madison saying they would turn on the generator once a week to make ice and boil water. Just seems more efficient to do without ice in your scotch, only catch fish that you are going to eat right away, and use a fire pit to boil water. But maybe I am too much of a minimalist/survivalist compared to them?

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And then you have eagle eye Nick who spots the gang members at a far distance just as they happen to be watching him through binoculars.  Really show ?  Really ?

All those years of drug use must have given him super hero vision, tee hee.

• Love 11

I wonder if Alexjandro has some form of "slow turn" disease. He was bitten. Maybe it was by a half-turned zombie so he didn't get the full dosage, or maybe Alexjandro has some type of immunity. Maybe one minute he'll be okay, but then, when needed the most, he'll turn. Or, maybe, he'll become a part time zombie, straddling both worlds.

man, it's early.

• Love 5

A couple of minor things bugged me. One, why is everyone always driving trucks and vans; you'd think fuel economy would be the highest priority in a situation like that, but I guess it's hard to look badass with 4 narcos crammed into a Corolla.

Two, why do these zombies never seem to go anywhere near that very flimsy looking fence near the Colonia? All they do is mill around, no gathering and pressing up near the fence ever. Seems odd.

Madison has two kids, that's, for me, the very bottom line, and the Mom answer to the question to "why isn't that enough?'. There's definitely a dysfunctional element (big one) to the family dynamic, but would she have turned on the light if it were Alicia who was missing? I think she would have -- maybe not as frantically, but yeah, I think she would.

• Love 7

This episode sort of answered my question from last week when they were merrily washing zombies out to sea with nary a concern for where they might wash back up:  Just how close are all these locations to each other?  And the answer apparently is conveniently close enough for our idiots to see big neon signs they light for each other or take short strolls/drives to zombie Costco.  I have absolutely no idea how we're expected to think that all of these people aren't already aware of exactly where each of the other groups is in what seems to be a fairly small area.  

I admit I zoned out quite a bit during Ofelia's scenes so all I got was something about not being able to break free of her parents enough to choose her fiance like a grownup.  I spent most of her screen time wondering how she decided NOW was the appropriate time to go on walkabout without telling anyone and waiting to see if Madison's zombie herd was going to wash up on the beach outside of wherever she was supposed to be.  Because there's so little else to hold my attention, the whereabouts of the zombie flotilla is going to be ongoing distraction for me until I see them come ashore somewhere.

Madison really can't help being the Ugly American, even in the ZA.  She was clearly itching for a reason to insert herself in the scene at zombie Costco even before she heard "gringo" and "ratty hair" and "drugs" and thought, well of course they could only be talking about MY kid.  Like, I know you've got a whole torture/interrogation thing happening here that's clearly a bad time for people other than me, but what about MY needs?  I guess we needed it though because she'd just spent a couple of episodes being mostly useful and competent and nearing almost likable in her scenes playing off Strand.

I don't miss Travis at all and will be just fine with it if he never makes it back to our other survivors.  Considering she's never once mentioned him or given the appearance of giving him a single thought, Madison and I seem to be in agreement on that.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 12

Kim Dickens showed more emotions as a chef obsessing about entrees in Treme than she does fighting for her existence in FtWD.

This was a stultifying, boring episode. I FFed through most of it.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 6

There were only two Walkers killed in last night's show. Please discuss.

Instead of keeping her weapon of choice close at hand, Ofelia keeps it in a closed tool box in the rear of the truck's cab. Please discuss.

Instead of using a weapon to maximize kills, Ofelia uses a weapon that takes several precious seconds to use per kill. Please discuss.

Instead of living up to the hype she created last week when lecturing the wedding party about how people could come along and try to take what they have, Madison flips on all the lights in the hotel so even people on the Eiffel Tower can see them. Please discuss.

This show should be cancelled. Please discuss.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 22

At this point we are only tuning in out of idle/morbid curiosity.  I am not interested in Nick or Maddie or Ophelia.
I don't understand why they split the characters into different groups  because I don't miss anyone who isn't shown for a period of time. When Travis or Ophelia show up, it's more a mild reaction of "Oh yeah, they were on this show.."

How is this show doing ratings-wise? I'm wondering if AMC still considers this show to be a good idea. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 3

This episode was a little slower and the showrunners are doing a lousy job of keeping disparate storylines juggled effectively but it was still better than any episode from the first season. Jessica's mom stabbing Strand seemed plausible and kicked off the trip to Gang-Mart that was necessary to get the band back together by season's end. I'm glad Alicia called out Madison on her obsession with Nick. She's really come along as a character since they got to the hotel.

Ofelia's story is confusing so they to lock it down and show us what's going on. Nothing they showed us was worth her leaving without telling people where she was going.

Gringo with the rat hair made me laugh out loud.

• Love 1

With what water are they making the ice?

All they needed to do was sew up Strand or heat up a knife and lay it on the cut to solder it. Jeez, didn't they see Revenant??? If Leo could survive all those bear slices and bites surely Strand could handle one little poke.

Oh and what's with Alecia taking surfing lessons? Please tell me she had/has no plans to surf in those zombie waves???

34 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

Instead of keeping her weapon of choice close at hand, Ofelia keeps it in a closed tool box in the rear of the truck's cab. Please discuss.

Instead of using a weapon to maximize kills, Ofelia uses a weapon that takes several precious seconds to use per kill. Please discuss.

Instead of living up to the hype she created last week when lecturing the wedding party about how people could come along and try to take what they have, Madison flips on all the lights in the hotel so even people on the Eiffel Tower can see them. Please discuss.

Yes, cancelled!!!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

I wonder if Alexjandro has some form of "slow turn" disease. He was bitten. Maybe it was by a half-turned zombie so he didn't get the full dosage, or maybe Alexjandro has some type of immunity. Maybe one minute he'll be okay, but then, when needed the most, he'll turn. Or, maybe, he'll become a part time zombie, straddling both worlds.

man, it's early.

Maybe he's discovered a med that slows the process. He needs to keep that med and not trade with the drug lords. He wants it all for himself and is willing to keep sacrificing his people in order to save himself. It could be the drug that Nick made and is weaker so that's why he is showing some symptoms.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

Brilliant as usual.

When they did the 'In Memorium' on Talking Dead and I realized that only TWO Walkers were killed last night, I couldn't believe it.

I wish I cared about Ofelia journey into self-discovery but I don't give a shit.  She left Alicia alone in a hotel full of walkers (and who knows what else) WHILE SHE WAS IN THE SHOWER. 

I have to agree with the person who said the White privilege was strong in this episode.  Madison was ready to get involved in the interrogation before she heard about ratty hair and made the leap into KNOWING that the stinky gringo was her bouncing baby boy.  Not only was she risking Strand's life, she was risking the life of the woman with her, who had been demoted to 'translator'.  As for lighting the sign, pure fuckery.  Madison, your son WALKED AWAY FROM YOU.  He turned his back to you and walked away.  Nick is not worth the trouble.

Speaking of Rathair not being worth the trouble, could somebody explain why Luciana is with Nick?  She's surrounded by some very attractive men and she goes for the scrawny FILTHY gringo?   Oh wait, the scrawny FILTHY gringo JUNKIE???? The MEN who write this show obviously have never met a woman in their lives.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, sisterspoon said:

The family left La Colonia because the little girl was sick.  And we know what they do to sick people.  Hop on the bus!

Thanks, I didn't know the little girl was sick, so that helps.  But is that why the family had to sneak away?  Why sneak, when apparently you could leave Colonia voluntarily, prior to the Big Announcement that everyone's on lockdown?  Would the Colonistas shove kids with sniffles through the bus to beef up the zombie defense perimeter?

Come to think of it, the Tastycake kid's dad didn't really seem to be on his last legs either, (although Nick--half-dead gringo stranger--wasn't issued a one-way bus ticket.)

Could this be a thing?  A dark Cult Colonia secret . . . or just the writers creating some frightened pawns for the Costco gang to play with and I'm an idiot to wonder why anyone does anything on this show?

• Love 1

JackONeill, I think I love you.

1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

I vote for cancelled.  This show has always been "Spot the Walking Dead" - if you're going to do a post apocalyptic zombie show, you need to have more of a zombie presence - you know, something to "fear"?  1 or 2 meddlesome undead per episode is not sufficient.  A group of shambling walkers seen from afar - does not make for a sense of "fear".

In my world, the last episode, which occurs at the end of this season: everyone is reunited at the hotel, all is well.  Then the Costco cholos show up and blow up the hotel with all of our characters inside.  Screen fades to black.  White subtitle on screen:  "Meanwhile in another part of the US...."  Opens on Rick Grimes waking up in a hospital bed. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Jel said:

Madison has two kids, that's, for me, the very bottom line, and the Mom answer to the question to "why isn't that enough?'. There's definitely a dysfunctional element (big one) to the family dynamic, but would she have turned on the light if it were Alicia who was missing? I think she would have -- maybe not as frantically, but yeah, I think she would.

I think she would too, actually, but I don't think she'd push Nick aside or put him in danger to do it. I'm not saying Madison doesn't care about Alicia...I think she does. But I do think that she's so obsessed with Nick's inability to cope with life that she ignores her other kid. I also think that Alicia probably feels like her mother doesn't care that much about her when she's compared to her brother.

Madison definitely sees Alicia as hers, though, as shown by that time she sided with her over Chris and Travis. Travis kept trying to approach it from a "we are family" perspective, but Madison very much had a "no, Alicia is mine and she trumps your needs" point of view. (Which was very good!)

• Love 2

Topic for discussion - Madison is a better mother than Lori Grimes.  Yes or no.  Please explain.

So the hotel folk are now planting crops and fishing.  Hershel Junior must be there.  Where did they get the seeds?  Big resorts usually don't have seed stores near them.  And the hotel folk are wasting their generators making ice?  Poor Milton is turning over in his grave.  Well, he WOULD be, if he'd got a grave.  How very Woodbury of them.  But Andrea would approve.

Obnoxious Maddy was VERY obnoxious this episode.  Hey, let's interrupt an interrogation by the local drug lords that could very well mean death to the man that saved my family, just on the off chance that the family they are torturing might know something about my son, who took off VOLUNTARILY on his own a 100 miles from where we are now.  Of COURSE I'm going to assume that he would not only live, but also end up within a few miles from me.

And of course boyfriend Travis ALSO ends up at the same place.  The gravitational pull of Tijuana must be strong, eh?  Only Ofelia has managed to break free of its orbit.  And only then to make a ill-advised trip to find the fiancé that she didn't have the balls to go with when her parents were alive.

• Love 8

Which move was more selfish?

The group releasing thousands of walkers (early in the infection) to munch on innocent people forever in order to free their family members at the detainment camp? Or Madison sacrificing the group's best hope for a stable life in order to possibly find her junkie son who literally turned his back on his family and walked away.

• Love 10

Perhaps I give them too much credit, but I think the writers wanted to show us (tell us, hint at us, drop better clues at us) what it was that caused the dysfunction among Madison, Nick, Alicia and dear dead daddy.

I mean the writers have surfaced a couple of times this season to drop a few clues about what caused daddy to become dead daddy.

It'a also interesting, from a family dynamic, that neither Maddie nor Nick consider Travis or Chris to be the part of the family. They've been clear about that either directly or through omission (not mentioning it when the subject comes up).

To say that this family is insular is an insult to the word insular. Being insular usually means selfishness, which we have seen in Maddie and her kids. Is it dead daddy's fault? We will probably never know. (Probably because the writers don't know how to write it.)

But, as I've said before, I can follow a flawed leader, e.g. Rick. But I cannot, nor should we have to, follow someone who fucks up because they are selfish, someone who puts their interest first. And if we do follow them, it should only be once. When we see how they really are, in this environment, they should be dumped off the highest floor of the hotel.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

How is this show doing ratings-wise? 

The ratings have been declining since the start of the season. Last season was getting over 6 million viewers per episode, this season it's down to about 3 million. 

Every time I see Madison's gloomy face I want to puke. What a waste of space and time. Her facial expressions never change. She has the look like some of the dogs at the shelter with her bottom jaw stuck out. Please please writers, get her out of the game!!!!!!!!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jel said:

But Nick CHOSE to leave. He didn't get abducted or lost on a run or seperated by a herd. He said adios and walked off on his own. Madison thinking he might have changed his mind is stupid wishful thinking. Putting the lights on was just mindnumbingly idiotic on so many levels and not even the most efficient way of finding Nick. I could understand wasting the fuel to go have a look around that area (oops, no ice for a week...) because yes, she's his mother. But what she did? No.

4 hours ago, candall said:

Thanks, I didn't know the little girl was sick, so that helps.  But is that why the family had to sneak away?  Why sneak, when apparently you could leave Colonia voluntarily, prior to the Big Announcement that everyone's on lockdown?  Would the Colonistas shove kids with sniffles through the bus to beef up the zombie defense perimeter?

It looks like they had two backpacks full of precious supplies so that's sufficient reason to sneak away. He was abandoning his duties to go looking for a better place AND stealing resources...

I missed the part about the girl being sick but that scout is the one who found Pablo cut in pieces by the gang. Trouble is coming and he knows it. I would bounce too.

It looked like he had no trouble stabbing the walker in the head so he must not be buying into that particular belief anymore.

Strand and Alicia are definitely my faves out of the original group. Nick and Chris are love to hate characters that can stay for a bit longer. I'd happily trade Ofelia, Travis and Madison for Elena, Luciana and Oscar + med student family member.

Edited by CloudySky
  • Love 2

It's been nearly two full seasons, yet there is still no clear leader for the group. Maybe the writers were trying to be clever in doing that, yet there is almost no one out of the group who would satisfy most people to be leader. I think they are all too damaged by their own actions. Truthfully, Alicia, except for her age, could probably do it. Yet, at her age, she would have a tough time "ordering" older (20+ years old) people around. I don't mean to be ageist. Conversely, Travis, who is the right age, can't make a decision to save his (or anyone's) life.

In fact, with this group, it's more a matter of who you dislike most. What in the world are the writers doing?

• Love 2

This show is so boring, really. I try, but GAWD.

When they were fishing at the pier my first thought was that they threw those bunch of nasty zombies there and I wouldn't want to eat those fish, gross.

Can the colony get destroyed already like every other settlement ever, so they can all go to the hotel (for a while, cause it will get destroyed, too, eventually, of course)? I find the hotel plot okay-ish, but the colony stuff is just so zzz.

So Ofelia was like hanging around soul searching? She's gonna try to find her ex fiance, I imagine, which sounds like a terrible idea. Also, way to fuck up the hotel idea, Madison. If I was there I would start packing my bags before the shit hits the fan.

Judging by that Travis ending I imagine the next episode is gonna be a flashback to whatever happened there. I can't wait (not). I hope Chris bites it, which I imagine is where his plot is going.

The Saviour thing they got going with Nick at the colony annoys me a lot.

Edited by natyxg
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Perhaps I give them too much credit, but I think the writers wanted to show us (tell us, hint at us, drop better clues at us) what it was that caused the dysfunction among Madison, Nick, Alicia and dear dead daddy.

I mean the writers have surfaced a couple of times this season to drop a few clues about what caused daddy to become dead daddy.

It'a also interesting, from a family dynamic, that neither Maddie nor Nick consider Travis or Chris to be the part of the family. They've been clear about that either directly or through omission (not mentioning it when the subject comes up).

To say that this family is insular is an insult to the word insular. Being insular usually means selfishness, which we have seen in Maddie and her kids. Is it dead daddy's fault? We will probably never know. (Probably because the writers don't know how to write it.)

But, as I've said before, I can follow a flawed leader, e.g. Rick. But I cannot, nor should we have to, follow someone who fucks up because they are selfish, someone who puts their interest first. And if we do follow them, it should only be once. When we see how they really are, in this environment, they should be dumped off the highest floor of the hotel.

The dad had depression or some other metal illness, didn't he? And the son is an addict. The mother is an epic enabler, and the daughter is the neglected overachiever who tries to take care of things. It's a pretty classic family dynamic, actually, but not always the most fun to watch. I also got the sense that Alicia/Dad were close and Nick/Mom were close...or at least "closer."

Nick actually struck me as more accepting of Travis and Chris than Alicia was. She seemed super resentful of them, Travis especially, likely because they were interlopers who diverted even more of her mother's attention from her.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

I'm not sure how many times I yelled "MADISON IS THE GODDAMN WORST!!!!" at the TV last night, but it wasn't enough.  I haven't loathed a character on a TV show as much as her in a while.  So obsessed with the child who wants nothing to do with her, she constantly risks the life of not only her OTHER child, but dozens of other people as well.  MADISON IS THE GODDAMN WORST.  Why have the other residents of the hotel not banished her yet?  She's WAY more dangerous than stabby mother of the bride.

Also, it seemed pretty obvious to me that Ophelia was going to New Mexico to search for her ex fiancé. When she was looking at the map, she had her finger on NM, at least to me.  Maybe I was seeing things.  I kept wondering why everyone was saying things like "well, maybe she'd headed to find her ex finance" on Talking Dead. No shit that's what she's doing, why else would they have that long ass flashback and her looking at a map to NM?

Speaking of Ophelia, the actress who plays her kept sticking up for Madison on Talking Dead, which made me want to smack her more than I already do (I'm not an Ophelia fan either.)  No one has sympathy for Madison because MADISON IS THE GODDAMN WORST.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 5

I like this show.  I wish the showrunner would do a better job of fleshing out details and being consistent - especially with characters' behaviors - last week Madison was a pragmatic leader who wanted to do what was best for their little hotel community and this week she is a selfish jerk single-handedly risking everything.  But let me get back to why I like this show... I like the assortment of stories and character studies.  It is interesting watching Chris devolve into a villain.  What if Alejandro was bitten but didn't turn?  What sort of people will Ofelia meet along the road to NM?  I like Nick and Luciana's relationship.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Walking Dead but I feel like they relive the same storyline over and over.  They find a safe place, bad guys ruin it, they find a safe place, bad guys ruin it...

• Love 8

First off, I feel truly sorry for Kim Dickens.  She does have that kind of face that stays a bit frozen, but what they are doing to her in this show is ridiculous. Here's my crazy theory.  Fear The Walking Dead has absolutely nothing to offer as a TV show in the way it is written.  The writing, plotting, hell, the whole idea of the show is lacking in every category.  Sooo, I feel that the writers have to come up with some kind of "draahhma" ( you would think fighting off zombies might give them some ideas ) so they keep throwing Madison back into "I'll let everybody, including my daughter, die if that's what it takes to get my beloved son back.  You can understand a mother feeling this way about a child that has been so obviously lost long before the world collapsed.  But, it appears the writers are just using this plot device over and over because they literally don't have anything else to offer.

We need a hero to root for while watching the end of the world.  He or she can be a flawed hero, (like quite a few in the other show) but we can't constantly see selfish stupidity.  If they are wanting Madison (Kim Dickens) to take the lead in this, well, this is the third season, right?  What are they waiting for? If they want it to be Alicia or Strand or...please NO! not ratty hair, please..not ratty hair..well, then start writing someone we don't have to yell at the screen from sheer dumbfoundedness (not a word, but it works :) ) every week.

I wanted to agree with so many things posted up thread.  Too many actually to go into now.  Uh, why are we watching this stuff?  Why can't I simply not watch? Maybe I'll see how they end this season and try to get professional help if I think I can take another one.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, oakville said:

If Strand dies, I will be furious. It makes no sense that the mom would should stab anyone who opened the door.

She was looking to stab just any one.  Strand put down her zombie daughter so mom was looking to make him pay.  

18 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Well, since they're out of water that would do it for me. But therein lies the problem for any large sanctuary -- infrastructure, or lack thereof.

The hotel had it right with both size and low number of people. Until Madison blew it. It's ironic but she was largely responsible for making it what it was...for, what, a day. Then, down the shitter.

I'm not a fan of the hotel as a long term sanctuary.  It looks too big to defend with just that small group of people.  

18 hours ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Running the generators to light up the whole hotel, to make ice, to use water, to (likely) have air conditioning, is the height of arrogance and lack of foresight.  Man, this shit will run out soon, rationing is needed. 

Funny thing is that this group has been living better in the apocalypse than I do in a world without zombies.  They stayed in their home at the start of the outbreak (most people would've been in FEMA camps).  From there, they stayed at Strand's swanky place in Malibu.  After that, they called home a luxury yacht.  Once in Mexico, they stayed at a huge hacienda.  Now they're at a fairly nice hotel that still has utilities.

Is there any reason that the sick get fed to the wall rather than finding a way for them to die less painfully?

• Love 4

I just can't like this show, every episode its the same thing, Madison does something stupid at the risk of the group because of her precious baby boy, and nothing else happens I swear I think the showrunners are doing this on purpose, let's see how we can make this the worse show on television and not have any zombies, they should just cancel it at this point it pointless.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Madison really can't help being the Ugly American, even in the ZA.  She was clearly itching for a reason to insert herself in the scene at zombie Costco even before she heard "gringo" and "ratty hair" and "drugs" and thought, well of course they could only be talking about MY kid.  Like, I know you've got a whole torture/interrogation thing happening here that's clearly a bad time for people other than me, but what about MY needs?  I guess we needed it though because she'd just spent a couple of episodes being mostly useful and competent and nearing almost likable in her scenes playing off Strand.

Damned if you didn't just speak right out of my head.  

• Why did TPTB waste ANY time whatsoever in attempting SOME degree of character development for Maddie, if they intended to flip her right back into "Fuck whatever happens to the rest of you (including you too, Alicia - sorry, kid!) so long as I do whatever half-assed addlebrained shit I think is right for me and MY SON!!!" mode?  That was a waste of EVERYBODY's time.
  • Echo echo on the Ugly American label. If there'd been the slightest shred of realism in the human-to-human interconnections in this show, the interrogator would have put a bullet through Maddie's brain the moment her entitled ass came flouncing through the door - if for no other reasons than to (a) scare Francisco and wife into spilling the beans on the Colonia, and (b) shut this rude loudmouth gringo bitch the fuck up.

8 hours ago, JackONeill said:

Overall, pretty discuss-ting.  :P

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, maczero said:

She was looking to stab just any one.  Strand put down her zombie daughter so mom was looking to make him pay.  

I noticed this during the episode -- and they brought it up on Talking Dead -- that Sue Ellen already had her stabbing thrust in motion BEFORE the door was even fully opened.

So, how did Ophelia turn so quickly from a sheltered daughter with overprotective parents (with no fiancé in sight, mind you) to a Sarah Connor-level confidant ruthless killer of walkers who can get shit done ... all in a couple of days ?  How ?  Did she find another hotel and attend a Zombie Apocalypse leadership course in the grand ballroom ?  Does she pack her own talking stick ? 

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I noticed this during the episode -- and they brought it up on Talking Dead -- that Sue Ellen already had her stabbing thrust in motion BEFORE the door was even fully opened.

I suspect the actress jumped the gun and no one wanted to go to the trouble and expense of reshooting the scene. I have a feeling that's a dominant thought on this show.

• Love 3

I can't say I'm particularly interested in the politics of the Colonia. "Whaaaaaaa I never wanted to make decisions! Whaaaaaaa!" Nick clearly can survive better than anyone else. This guy is yelling at you, your "gf" is yelling at you. Bye Felicia. Say hi to my friends from the store when they come for you to take their drugs.

I'd also be studying my spanish way way harder than anyone at the hotel is.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, Ocean Chick said:

Topic for discussion - Madison is a better mother than Lori Grimes.  Yes or no.  Please explain.

This made me chuckle. I'm going with......yes? I'll leave the question mark because I don't have an explanation for my answer lol

Episode title should be "WHAT DID YOU DO NOW MADISON?!"

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, kdm07 said:

This made me chuckle. I'm going with...yes?

Episode title should be "WHAT DID YOU DO KNOW MADISON?!"

Actually, that would make a pretty good series. "What Did You Do Now Madison" would follow the hijinks caused by a middle-aged woman traveling cross country during the zombie apocalypse as she tries to figure out why the last living people run hysterically from her.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

But I also heard Madison saying they would turn on the generator once a week to make ice and boil water. Just seems more efficient to do without ice in your scotch, only catch fish that you are going to eat right away, and use a fire pit to boil water. But maybe I am too much of a minimalist/survivalist compared to them?

This is again the severe lack of strategic thinking on anyone's part. I don't expect everyone to be survivalist geniuses, and I'm certainly not, but I have enough brain cells to actually ask the right questions. Or not to burn valuable gas in the generator lighting the stupid hotel sign. "You have to trust me on this." No, I don't. You're advertising for everyone within 20 miles to come visit. 

Even if you don't eat the fish *right* away, you can still put them in a bucket of seawater for a few hours. Or just fill up one of the tubs with sea water for that matter. "Making ice" is probably the first thing that needs to go. Boiling water doesn't require a generator. 

Is anyone gathering driftwood or breaking down chairs for firewood use for that matter?

Good shows have a tough time juggling 4 story lines. It's too much on this show. I'd gradually cut out Ofelia, and at the most, let Travis and Chris be recurring. There's enough going on between the hotel, Costco, and the colonia to sustain a tv show. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, AlwaysWatching said:

I wanted to agree with so many things posted up thread.  Too many actually to go into now.  Uh, why are we watching this stuff?  Why can't I simply not watch? 

I appears as if a lot of people have managed to stop watching.  Our household is certainly losing interest .. and each week only seems to lessen our enthusiasm rather than increase it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, AlwaysWatching said:

...this is the third season, right?

It's still Season 2, and there are three episodes remaining:

09-25-16 “Date of Death”
10-02-16 “Wrath”
10-09-16 “North”

Edited by Raven1707
To include future episode titles
6 hours ago, Spikey said:

The ratings have been declining since the start of the season. Last season was getting over 6 million viewers per episode, this season it's down to about 3 million. 

I think the series was renewed for season3.If ratings continue to fall, I don't know if there will be a season 4

8 hours ago, FishyJoe said:

Didn't Nick leave on his own? And why on earth would he be attracted to a shiny light?

It's so ridiculous, I'm speechless.

Madison skipped one key fact when telling the story of Nick's bio dad. He was a large moth.  He didn't kill himself by driving into oncoming traffic.  He flew into a bug zapper. He was drawn to the light even though he knew it would kill him.  Madison is hoping Nick's moth genes will draw him to the lights of the hotel. 

Just trying to make her actions logical. 

• Love 7

Why isn't Strand the leader of this group? My guess is that when the show was first plotted out, it was planned for him to die at the hacienda. Once he became a breakout character, that was dropped and he was kept alive. Unfortunately, TPTB don't know what to do with him, so now they've sidelined him with a wound while they try to think of something.

I couldn't figure out what Mads was trying to do with the hotel sign. Then I saw Travis and I imagined him thinking "What idiot is stupid enough to light up a neon sign during  the ZA? MADISON!" No doubt, Nick would have the same reaction.

What kind of a relationship will Travis and Mads have if they reunite? Both made it clear that their children took priority, not an unrealistic attitude (something rare in FTWD). Did either of them even mention the other since they were separated? I imagine the main reason to reunite would be because in the ZA, you would want to be with people that you knew before it all went down.

Why is oxy so valuable in the ZA? I should think that all the junkies would quickly clean up or be killed off. Seems to me that water and ammunition, to name just two commodities, would be much more valuable. Yet the shopkeepers are planning to attack a walled-in compound  just to get some more oxy.

What the heck is Ofelia up to? Nice to see her back, but she can't really believe that there's any chance of finding her ex-fiance in New Mexico. I'm sure we'll get a flashback showing how her parents broke up the  engagement. At least we'd get to see Ruben Blades again.

Looks like the amibros and/or Chris will die next episode.

• Love 5

I just watched last night.  This show has went into the I'll watch it if I'm bored pile on my DVR.

As someone who grew up with a jacked up older sibling and another with learning issues, I can relate to Alicia.  There wasn't much energy left from my parents, but I would never for a second think they would put me in danger to help either of them.  It doesn't help that Kim Dickens has got to be the worst actress on television.  If they wanted an actress that looked younger than her real age they should have got someone that wasn't botoxed/plastic surgeried into the "I just smelled a fart" face and was actually that age.  There are plenty of women in their 40's that need work out there.

• Love 4

But I also heard Madison saying they would turn on the generator once a week to make ice and boil water. Just seems more efficient to do without ice in your scotch, only catch fish that you are going to eat right away, and use a fire pit to boil water.

I certainly hope they boil the water they use to make ice, or they'll be putting all those lovely pathogens right back into the water they boiled to make their iced tea.

I'm only here to watch Madison, Travis and Nick die the deaths they deserve.  And hopefully Strand will adopt Alicia and teach her the ways of the con man and how to use those skills during the za.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

I certainly hope they boil the water they use to make ice, or they'll be putting all those lovely pathogens right back into the water they boiled to make their iced tea.

I'm only here to watch Madison, Travis and Nick die the deaths they deserve.  And hopefully Strand will adopt Alicia and teach her the ways of the con man and how to use those skills during the za.

Now that is a show I could get behind!

• Love 3

Strand wasn't ever really the leader. He was driven by his desire to get to the boat and then get back to the hacienda. Once that fell apart he became aimless, and he said as much in the last episode to Madison. He probably hasn't just up and left yet because he has no where to go and just doesn't know what to do. 

I did like in S1 how Strand didn't take it from any one for the most part. I hope he survives and just is over everyone's drama. 

The show universe is too binary for me. You're either trying to make nice with everyone and they burn you or you're turning into a criminal and murderer. Or I suppose you join up with an established group who wants to be left alone and then you destroy their well fortified dwelling. When Madison was trying *so hard* to get the other hotel group to help out, I was like, why try so hard? You don't want to join us, fine. The hotel is big enough for everyone. We can stay out of one another's way or you can come by to talk if you change your mind.

But no, they *had* to make the other group join them, and Strand *had* to get the other guy to come down to dinner. Then he got stabbed from a woman who was telegraphing "UNSTABLE". 

• Love 2