Type keyword(s) to search

Food Confessions: We're Not Here to Judge

• Start Topic

As I sat here dipping baby cheddar goldfish crackers in Nutella, I thought it might be fun to have a judgment free place where we can confess our gastronomical sins.

Speaking of Nutella, my preferred method of eating it is by the spoonful. If I'm not careful, I can empty a jar in a couple of days. Not that I've done that. Just saying I can.

Mentioned these elsewhere but since such things have its own thread...

I hate all pie, minus chocolate pudding "pie" with Oreo or graham cracker crust. Pastry crust is nasty.

I also despise corned beef and cabbage. I am a disgrace to my Irish ancestors (on both sides of my family, no less!). Come to think of it, potatoes aren't high on my list of foods except for the three most unhealthy ways to eat them: French fries, twice-baked potato, or potato chips.

I sure this is a strange gastronomical sin, so here goes. Bologna spread with chocolate frosting, then rolled up like a pirouline cookie. Ham lunch meat will also do in a pinch.

• Love 1

I'm sure I'll think of some more later, but here are a couple:

Sweetened condensed milk:  Occasionally, I'll find a can that was forgotten in the back of the pantry.  When it's opened, it's turned butterscotch in color and is now kind of like dulce de leche.  It's not spoiled (can not swelled and no hiss when I opened and I've researched the topic), it just changed consistency as it got old.  It's not good for recipes (I tried that once for a lemon bar recipe and although it tasted okay, it made one unattractive beige-y pan of bars), but I'm guilty of putting the contents in the fridge and dipping out a spoonful now and then.  Tasty!

Double-stuff Oreos:  I buy these maybe once every couple of years (I can't trust myself to buy them more often) and my favorite way to eat them is to eat the chocolate cookie off of one side of one, then eat the cookie off of another one.  Then, I put the two together, cream sides touching.  I carefully eat the cookie off of one side.  Then I repeat the process until I have two chocolate cookies with a layer of cream filling about an inch high.  Then I eat my quadruple (?) stuffed Oreo.

I've probably mentioned these in other food threads, but...I love Hostess Cup Cakes, especially the ones with the marshmallow-coconut exterior. I alternate those with the orange cupcakes or the chocolate ones. Twinkies are "meh," although I'd love to try some of those retro recipes that feature them prominently. I often seek them out at gas station convenience stores, since not a lot of supermarkets carry them any more (although Duane Reade drugstores do). Drake's Cakes are good too--Ho Ho's, Ding Dongs, Yodels. 

I also despise corned beef and cabbage. I am a disgrace to my Irish ancestors (on both sides of my family, no less!). Come to think of it, potatoes aren't high on my list of foods except for the three most unhealthy ways to eat them: French fries, twice-baked potato, or potato chips.

I feel for anyone who doesn't like a traditional food of their ethnicity. I don't like olives (though I use olive oil all the time).

I can't think of any unusual sweet/savory combinations I eat, though.

• Love 1

Kraft macaroni & cheese, with sliced Hillshire Farm hot links mixed in.  A week's worth of sodium and chemicals in one trashy, delicious bowl.

I think that's about it for true crimes against food.

• Love 2

My Lithuanian ancestors would not be happy to know I detest kielbasa and sauerkraut.  And on the German side, I don't like bratwurst or any of the "wursts" nor do I like beer.  And don't even get me started on my hatred of German potato salad.

i think I could eat Reese's peanut butter cups by the dozen.  They are, hands down, my favorite candy and I always go to the grocery stores the day after holidays to get the marked down special-shaped (trees, pumpkins, eggs) Reese's.  In quantity.

• Love 1

Gosh, never been a pie dough eater (the "ends" make neat little misshapen cookies with a cinnamon and sugar sprinkle) but I thought everyone liked cookie dough! I think Toll House is my favorite.

My husband thinks I'm weird for buttering toast before the application of the peanut butter. I think it's absolutely necessary and if a slice or two of crispy bacon is available? Heaven.

I butter saltines before a soup-dunk and have made a "dessert" from butter, sugar and flour. Cookie dough eezee?

8 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Sweetened condensed milk:  Occasionally, I'll find a can that was forgotten in the back of the pantry.  When it's opened, it's turned butterscotch in color and is now kind of like dulce de leche.  It's not spoiled (can not swelled and no hiss when I opened and I've researched the topic), it just changed consistency as it got old.  It's not good for recipes (I tried that once for a lemon bar recipe and although it tasted okay, it made one unattractive beige-y pan of bars), but I'm guilty of putting the contents in the fridge and dipping out a spoonful now and then.  Tasty!

My BFF will eat sweetened condensed milk by the spoonful. In fact, she says Santa would put a can of it in her stocking every year and now her darling hubby does it for Santa!  A couple of years ago, she entered her "fried sweetened condensed milk" as consideration for one of the State Fair of Texas food winners. But I guess her recipe didn't "wow" the judges as much as it did her and her sister!!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

i think I could eat Reese's peanut butter cups by the dozen.  They are, hands down, my favorite candy and I always go to the grocery stores the day after holidays to get the marked down special-shaped (trees, pumpkins, eggs) Reese's.  In quantity.

You know the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with Reese's Pieces stuffed inside are out now, right?! OMG.

• Love 1

my preferred method of eating it is by the spoonful.

Spoons?  I don't need spoons or forks or chopsticks for that matter.  My preferred delivery method for most foods short of soup is my relatively clean fingers.  I live alone.  I'm allowed.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:57 AM, BooksRule said:

what we did as kids was to boil an unopened can for few hours. Be careful and keep adding water, or it'll explode all over your kitchen lol.

but once it cools down.... FOOD. OF. GODS.

as for weird tastes... I grew up in Eastern Europe... so beets, jellied meat, beef tongue, chicken gizzards... you name it I had it and most likely loved it lol

• Love 1

what we did as kids was to boil an unopened can for few hours. Be careful and keep adding water, or it'll explode all over your kitchen lol.

but once it cools down.... FOOD. OF. GODS.

as for weird tastes... I grew up in Eastern Europe... so beets, jellied meat, beef tongue, chicken gizzards... you name it I had it and most likely loved it lol

I always wanted to try the boiling the condensed milk thing, but I'm afraid to try.  With my luck, it would go kerplooey!

I've never been a fan of liver, gizzards (although my mom loved chicken gizzards), or the like, but thinking back on the foods that I ate as a child I probably ate some foods that I'm better off not knowing too much about the origins.  We always took 'snack' foods on car trips--crackers, cookies, 'cheese in a can', peanut butter and canned Vienna sausage and potted meat.  (I still buy those things occasionally--except for potted meat, yuck!--but now, along with a can of Spam or two--it's part of my 'Hurricane preparedness kit'.)

Creamed butter and sugar on white bread is awesome. I've also always wanted to try fairy bread, which apparently is butter on white bread coated with sprinkles. 

Pickled sausage. And pickled okra. Yums!

Bologna and cream cheese. Rolled up is the best but as a sandwich is good too. 

I've already told my niece that after I'm dead, she won't find the most shocking secrets in a diary or my underwear drawer.  It will be the expiration dates of the food in my pantry.

• Love 2

Two things we (me, my bro, and my cousins) learned from our grandpa that I learned are apparently weird :-P  are:
1) Ketchup on saltines - I like this better than ketchup w/fries, although I'm not big on fries or potatoes, in general.
2) Bowl of real maple syrup, take good crusty bakery bread and dunk it in and eat it.  We used to get the best maple syrup from friends of the family in upper Michigan.  Good and maple-y, not too thick so it'd soak into pancakes, waffles and bread.  

He's also the reason I love maple syrup on vanilla ice cream, but that's not really weird, I'm told.

Don't get me wrong, he liked good healthy food too, and his love of apples was passed on to me, too.

• Love 2

I love corned beef hash or roast beef had made in the oven on a cookie sheet to get it crispy and then putting eggs on top to broil them on top. Recently since it's just me now I've been heating the hash up in the microwave till some of it gets kinda crispy and making fried eggs in the broiler using a cookie sheet, foil and cooking spray. I've gotten disgusted looks from people by just mentioning I eat canned hash.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I love corned beef hash or roast beef had made in the oven on a cookie sheet to get it crispy and then putting eggs on top to broil them on top. Recently since it's just me now I've been heating the hash up in the microwave till some of it gets kinda crispy and making fried eggs in the broiler using a cookie sheet, foil and cooking spray. I've gotten disgusted looks from people by just mentioning I eat canned hash.

My husband knows to cook his canned hash (shudder) when I'm not home.

But you've made it sound good. Crispy rather than ... his version.

• Love 1

The fiancee and I both have a love of canned corned beef hash, and cooked in the oven until it gets crispy is delicious!

Back when I worked at a bagel place in the summers during college, I got hooked on potato chips dipped in vegetable cream cheese.  Super greasy potato chips make that the best!

Also, peanut butter sandwiches with mini chocolate chips instead of jam or honey, so good!  I've brought that to work before and had coworkers make fun of me.

• Love 3

I don't know why they would make fun of you for chocolate and peanut butter. Have they never eaten Reese's peanut butter cups? I mean, I wouldn't do it because I don't like straight peanut butter. Too sticky. But I like the flavor, and it's best with chocolate. You aren't the weird one. Your coworkers are. (That might be judging, but it's them, and they aren't here.)

On 8/31/2016 at 2:28 PM, aquarian1 said:

Two things we (me, my bro, and my cousins) learned from our grandpa that I learned are apparently weird :-P  are:
1) Ketchup on saltines - I like this better than ketchup w/fries, although I'm not big on fries or potatoes, in general.

I haven't eaten ketchup on saltines, but when I was in college everywhere that served oysters always served it with cocktail sauce and saltines.  Not a fan of raw oysters, but I became quite fond of saltines & cocktail sauce.

My odd eating habits were mostly growth related.  I went through a period where I ate mustard sandwiches, followed by not eating mustard for 15 years.  Periodically, I would need to drink a bit of the brine in a bottle of green olives.

Whew!  I just finished reading all these posts (shuddering an awful lot).  Y'all are creative and though I couldn't eat what you've described, I did get a kick out of the crazy combinations.  I kept trying to think of anything odd that I ate and all I could think of is (a memory from childhood of) putting salt and pepper on applesauce when it was on the same plate as a pork chop and finding it tasted good.  When I was a kid, my mom would saute chicken livers & the cut up heart with onions and put it on Ritz crackers for my dad and me.  We loved it (I still do but think it's not a good idea to eat that any more).  Something I've enjoyed over the years is my mom's creation:  eating a crispy cold apple with a Mounds or Almond Joy.  As a Swedish-American, I can eat pickled herring on Vasa crispbread (lots of folks can't).  Other than that, I guess I'm boring culinarily speaking.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Whew!  I just finished reading all these posts (shuddering an awful lot).  Y'all are creative and though I couldn't eat what you've described, I did get a kick out of the crazy combinations.  I kept trying to think of anything odd that I ate and all I could think of is (a memory from childhood of) putting salt and pepper on applesauce when it was on the same plate as a pork chop and finding it tasted good.  When I was a kid, my mom would saute chicken livers & the cut up heart with onions and put it on Ritz crackers for my dad and me.  We loved it (I still do but think it's not a good idea to eat that any more).  Something I've enjoyed over the years is my mom's creation:  eating a crispy cold apple with a Mounds or Almond Joy.  As a Swedish-American, I can eat pickled herring on Vasa crispbread (lots of folks can't).  Other than that, I guess I'm boring culinarily speaking.

I love pickled herring, which the hub seems to think qualifies as weird enough - no combination needed to make it extra-weird.  No problem, more for me!

My mom would eat chicken innards - including the heart -  but not make anyone else eat them, so I did not discover the joy of chicken livers until late in life. I love them too, but only eat them 2-3 times a year, which is probably a good thing.

• Love 2

I mentioned it in another thread here, but I occasionally snack on dry oatmeal or uncooked instant rice. Just put some in a little bowl and eat it a pinch at a time.

Also mentioned in another thread: Maple syrup on vanilla ice cream. Good stuff!

I've gotten an awful lot of flak over the years from people who know me for making sandwiches out of peanut butter and honey on rye bread.

I've also been known to eat sardines in mustard right out of the can.

More of a beverage than a food, but I accidentally discovered at work one day that a 50/50 mix of diet coke with coffee & lots of non-dairy creamer tastes a bit like a root-beer float. I've been deliberately  making it for myself ever since.

On 2016-08-28 at 2:47 PM, forumfish said:

I think I've always been an odd eater. As a kid, I'd eat a bite (half a pat, I guess) of butter by itself. Or a spoonful of Miracle Whip (but not real mayo). Even today, if I'm cooking with brown sugar, I'll eat a heaping spoonful. And don't get me started on raw dough -- not just cookie, but pie crust, bread dough, cake batter, etc. I love not-quite done bread, and my family knows that if we bake a pan of biscuits, I get the one in the middle.

Elsewhere I've mentioned that Mom and I eat dill pickles with chocolate cake (not on top of, but alternating bites).

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to spread butter on soda crackers for me.  And I would take my finger, scrape the butter off and eat it that way.  I probably saw some kid do it with peanut butter or cheese spread (not cream cheese, the orange Cheese Whiz kind.  EWWWWW), but we didn't keep the latter at home and I never ate the former (we didn't know about my sensitivity at the time, but I just didn't eat it, period).  I got in trouble, of course - just as I got in trouble for opening Oreos and other sandwich/Oreo-like cookies and eating the middle first.  Immigrant relatives don't "get" things! :P

My dad used to crush up Premium Saltine crackers (no other brand will do), put them in a glass, pour milk over it, and then drink/eat it with a spoon.  Uggghhh.  

I love scrambled/fried eggs with hot sauce and either sweet relish or chopped up sweet pickles.  Homemade is preferred, but store bought will also do if you must, but no dill pickles.  Sweet pickles only!

I'm not really into gourmet mac and cheese at all, there's just something I don't like about it, and I'm a total gourmet cheese lover on all levels, and I can't figure it out.  However, about 3-4 times a year, I crave the hell out of some Kraft Mac & Cheese, Original only, no weird shapes, and I use full on butter to make it.  

Finally, Totino's Party Pizza is the greatest pizza ever made, frozen, or from scratch.  I could eat 500 of them at once.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, larapu2000 said:

My dad used to crush up Premium Saltine crackers (no other brand will do), put them in a glass, pour milk over it, and then drink/eat it with a spoon.  Uggghhh.   

Finally, Totino's Party Pizza is the greatest pizza ever made, frozen, or from scratch.  I could eat 500 of them at once.

I can't stand Premium Saltine crackers since they started using sea salt. I haven't had a  Totino's Party Pizza in a long time. Your post makes me want to get one this weekend though.

• Love 1

I used to adore Totino's Party Pizza but they shrank the size and changed the taste from back in the 80s when I used to inhale a large all by myself.  (yes, I know how that sounds.)  It's just not the same.

15 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

Agree a million percent. I "know" it's terrible, but it is so damn good! 

• Love 2