Type keyword(s) to search

Food Confessions: We're Not Here to Judge

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you guys have any "national" biscuits or cakes?

Girl Scouts Cookies

Edited by ariel
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Now when I eat out, either the food tastes too salty to me or I wind up parched for the next 12 hours.

This is me at many restaurants.  I don't use much salt (like a poster above, I generally cook with fresh herbs, garlic, lemon zest, and such, and I don't taste any need for any significant amount of salt to enhance the overall flavor), so I find a lot of restaurant food too salty.  Usually that means I enjoy it while I'm eating it, but don't enjoy feeling like I need a gallon of water when I get home, but sometimes it means it actually tastes of salt, and I send it back.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do you guys have any "national" biscuits or cakes?

In Scotland we like Tunnocks. It's a biscuit with a marshmallow-ish mound on top of it covered in chocolate. Absolutely addictive. Yum. 

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

but sometimes it means it actually tastes of salt, and I send it back.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does this. I've also discovered that certain chains use more than others. At any steakhouse I ask them for no seasoning. 

6 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Ok I'm a bad Aussie and have never bought chicken salt so can't help you there! I just go to the charcoal chicken shop and ask them to load my chips with chicken salt. Soooooo good and bright yellow in colour (the chicken salt).

Oh we have truffle farms in various places already. In New South Wales the closest one is in Canberra. You can go on a tour there and then buy some fresh truffles to take home or order the truffles online during truffle season. 

I'm jealous...in the nicest most respectful way lol! 

7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

In Scotland we like Tunnocks. It's a biscuit with a marshmallow-ish mound on top of it covered in chocolate. Absolutely addictive. Yum. 

We call those Mallowmars!

• Love 1

I love Mallowmars.  I don't buy them that often because I can inhale a package all by myself in one sitting.  Not good for the waistline.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Mr. pig worships at the altar of The Holy Oreo.

Sometimes, for variety, he opts for Nutter Butters or Little Debbie Nutty Bars.

I once explained Nutty Bars to someone by saying, "They're like crack, but addictive."

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Salty food cooks and boils at a lower temperature and faster if it has a certain sodium content. That it's cheaper for the manufacturers to use copious amounts of it and that we as a society have come to expect that taste now.

Not true (chemist here).

In fact, adding salt does the very opposite of making water boil faster. ... This makes the water hotter (the new boiling point is increased to about 216° F, as opposed to the standard 212° F for unsalted water), but it still doesn't make it boil faster.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Not true (chemist here).

I should have not assumed that my know it all friend KNEW it all. Thanks for the correction. I'd rather be enlightened than be an a$$. 

@quof - pretty sure that finding is linked to a consistent increase in salt consumption and not an increase that is atypical.  Interesting read though.

I'll stand by my results based on numerous years of eating and drinking.  And how bars always have salty snacks available.

• Love 1

It's the same as the "truth" that sugar makes children hyper.  Every scientific study proves that it doesn't, but parents "know" that it does. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Perhaps it is beer that makes me crave salty pretzels and peanuts?

Or wine that makes me crave salty cheese?

Or gin that makes me crave salty olives?  (This one is definitely true.)

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Qoass said:

I find that small children make me crave wine.

My younger one did good work on that front with me this morning. I think the first fifteen sentences out of her mouth were either a complaint or a criticism. Maybe she was just hangry, since once she ate breakfast she was better. In the car to school she chimes in from the back seat, "I'm not a morning person." Sigh. I don't know about that. It depends on the morning as to which one of her parents she's going to act like when she gets out of bed.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I tried a few times but we have this really yummy brand and it's never as yummy as that brand so I've given up. 

I'm this way with hummus too. I can make a lot of things and some things I'm not good at it. I do know when to quit now. All because I can make something doesn't mean I should if there is one I like better. hehe.

I've tried mayo a couple times and it's not worked out for me either.

54 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone here make their own mayo?

I tried a few times but we have this really yummy brand and it's never as yummy as that brand so I've given up. 

Is it Duke's? Duke's is the best mayo in the world. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Lovecat said:

We call those Mallowmars!

Or Pinwheels.  

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Anyone here make their own mayo?

I have but still prefer Hellmans (Best Foods in the west).

20 hours ago, Bastet said:

This is me at many restaurants.  I don't use much salt (like a poster above, I generally cook with fresh herbs, garlic, lemon zest, and such, and I don't taste any need for any significant amount of salt to enhance the overall flavor), so I find a lot of restaurant food too salty.  Usually that means I enjoy it while I'm eating it, but don't enjoy feeling like I need a gallon of water when I get home, but sometimes it means it actually tastes of salt, and I send it back.

I use salt when cooking, a normal amount.   I don't eat in franchise restaurants much but most restaurants use too much salt in general.  I have never experienced this in high end restaurants though.  Despite the TC judges always asking for more, I don't find that to be the case in their restaurants.  I have only eaten in 3 of them (TV chefs) but nothing was overly salted. 

25 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Where is this found? 

2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I have never experienced this in high end restaurants though.  Despite the TC judges always asking for more, I don't find that to be the case in their restaurants.

I learned the hard way to request "lightly salted, please" in Tom Colicchio's restaurants.  I should have known from the show, I guess.

Mayonnaise is also on my short list of things where I like a commercial brand (Best Foods in my case) better than homemade.

• Love 1
Just now, Bastet said:

I learned the hard way to request "lightly salted, please" in Tom Colicchio's restaurants.  I should have known from the show, I guess.

Mayonnaise is also on my short list of things where I like a commercial brand (Best Foods in my case) better than homemade.

I had no trouble in Tom's Vegas restaurant in the MGM Grand.   Each restaurant has an executive chef and salt content could vary.  I think requesting lightly salted anywhere is a good idea.  

6 hours ago, wings707 said:

Or Pinwheels.  

I have but still prefer Hellmans (Best Foods in the west).

I use salt when cooking, a normal amount.   I don't eat in franchise restaurants much but most restaurants use too much salt in general.  I have never experienced this in high end restaurants though.  Despite the TC judges always asking for more, I don't find that to be the case in their restaurants.  I have only eaten in 3 of them (TV chefs) but nothing was overly salted. 

Where is this found? 

Duke's seems to be a Southern brand, but I get it in Massachusetts at Fresh Market (which is based in NC so I guess that makes sense. And apparently Amazon carries it too.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Tomy! It's amazing and the ingredient list is pretty natural so it's just not worth the pain to make my own that doesn't even taste as good!

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

What is Miracle Whip? I'll go google it but what does it taste like?

Crap  ;)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 13
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

What is Miracle Whip? I'll go google it but what does it taste like?

Sweetened ass.

(Mayonnaise vs. Miracle Whip is something of a thing in America; there are people who like both, certainly, but there are more who strongly prefer one over the other.  There's a heavy regional element to it.  As you can tell, I'm a card-carrying member of Camp Mayo.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9

My mother likes Miracle Whip, I can't stand it.  It has to be mayo for me.  Mom was born and raised in Michigan, I was raised here.  Although, Mom was born one county south of where I grew up.  Does that count as a regional element?

I've tried the mayo instead of butter thing with grilled cheese sandwiches and they've usually turned out ok besides getting burnt at times. I've only tried it with Dukes and sometimes get a weird aftertaste while eating my sandwich. So my question is for others who make grilled cheese sandwiches this way. Do you get any weird aftertaste too? 

2 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

My mother likes Miracle Whip, I can't stand it.  It has to be mayo for me.  Mom was born and raised in Michigan, I was raised here.  Although, Mom was born one county south of where I grew up.  Does that count as a regional element?

It was the same with my mother and me, and we were both born and raised in NYC. This is the first time I've heard of preference being a regional thing. Which regions supposedly prefer Miracle Whip? It sounds like it was trying to re-create Boiled Salad Dressing, which I think is a Midwestern thing. Recipe here if you're curious about it. (I haven't tried it myself.)

I remember the first time I had a sandwich with Miracle Whip on it as a young boy. Something in my head went, "what the hell is wrong with this sandwich?"

I'm team mayonnaise as well.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/9/2017 at 1:38 PM, Mindthinkr said:

At any steakhouse I ask them for no seasoning. 

I've been told that restaurant steaks taste better because they are prepared with a rub of butter and salt. I can believe it because home-cooked steaks never taste quite the same.  

Team Mayonnaise (Best Foods, known as Hellman's east of the Rockies). I find Miracle Whip is too sweet and I don't care for the texture.

Fritos. Discuss.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1

I find Miracle Whip to be slightly sweeter and tangier than mayo.  I'm one of the oddballs that likes both, but it depends on what it's being used in.  Since I find mayo to be rather bland (comparatively) I probably do end up using Miracle Whip more often, though.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, ennui said:

Fritos. Discuss.

What is not to like about a good crunchy chip!?! I like them dipped in salsa, guacamole, and the good old fashioned French onion dip (onion soup mix and sour cream mixed well, then refrigerated for a few hours ). Does anyone know why they call it French? I've never seen it there. I think that it's more of an American food. Of all the kinds of chips these are up there at the top of my like list (depends on the day). I just wish that they made a lower salt version so I could eat more! 

I did try a kale chip that I liked but can no longer find them in the store. I'm thinking of trying to make my own. 

23 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

the good old fashioned French onion dip (onion soup mix and sour cream mixed well, then refrigerated for a few hours ). Does anyone know why they call it French? I've never seen it there.

I miss that. I think it was called French because the dried soup mix envelope was called French Onion Soup. We always used potato chips, though. Ruffles, because they're stronger.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What is not to like about a good crunchy chip!?! I like them dipped in salsa, guacamole, and the good old fashioned French onion dip (onion soup mix and sour cream mixed well, then refrigerated for a few hours ). Does anyone know why they call it French? I've never seen it there. I think that it's more of an American food. Of all the kinds of chips these are up there at the top of my like list (depends on the day). I just wish that they made a lower salt version so I could eat more! 

I did try a kale chip that I liked but can no longer find them in the store. I'm thinking of trying to make my own. 

I live in Fritos' hometown so this may be available only locally here, but they do sell "lightly salted" Fritos here and that's what I buy. I can really tell the difference.

• Love 2

Fritos was one of my favorites and I don't buy them now because I'm off salt and they are just too salty. I wish I could find those "lightly salted" Fritos in my area. I didn't know they existed till now.

(edited)
11 minutes ago, rcc said:

Fritos was one of my favorites and I don't buy them now because I'm off salt and they are just too salty. I wish I could find those "lightly salted" Fritos in my area. I didn't know they existed till now.

I just looked on Amazon and you can get the lightly salted ones from them. I'm going to order some and try them. My thanks to @Spunkygal for turning me on to these. 

They actually have an amazing assortment of Fritos! Flavors I never knew existed. For now I'm just staying on my quest to get lower sodium ones. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added info
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I just looked on Amazon and you can get the lightly salted ones from them. I'm going to order some and try them. My thanks to @Spunkygal for turning me on to these. 

They actually have an amazing assortment of Fritos! Flavors I never knew existed. For now I'm just staying on my quest to get lower sodium ones. 

Chili cheese Fritos used to be a favorite in the Spunkygal household many years ago and probably contributed to my high blood pressure. But, boy, are they salty!