Type keyword(s) to search

Food Confessions: We're Not Here to Judge

• Start Topic

Hostess is definitely not the same.  Tastykakes still are though. I used to eat the hell out of Little Debbie Nutty Bars. I wonder if they're still the same.    

Because it's Thanksgiving, I'm going to mention cranberry sauce in the can.  There's just something about it that I love, even though it's total trash. See also: Stove Top stuffing. The fancy homemade kind is good, but I have to have the canned cranberry and the Stove Top or it's not Thanksgiving.  

• Love 2

My cousin also loves Stove Top stuffing. I think it's disgusting. Viva la difference! Give me the homemade stuffing and I'm set! (I'm fun at Thanksgiving. I hate all pie, minus the chocolate pudding pie in graham cracker crust deal! Also despise turnips and cranberry sauce! Just give me the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, and roll, and I am good to go!)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, janestclair said:

Hostess is definitely not the same.  Tastykakes still are though. I used to eat the hell out of Little Debbie Nutty Bars. I wonder if they're still the same.    

Because it's Thanksgiving, I'm going to mention cranberry sauce in the can.  There's just something about it that I love, even though it's total trash. See also: Stove Top stuffing. The fancy homemade kind is good, but I have to have the canned cranberry and the Stove Top or it's not Thanksgiving.  

Nutty Bars are like crack, but addictive. That is how I explain them to the poor lost souls who have never tried them. I got a coworker hooked once by bringing some to work. She bought some on the way home that day.

15 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I don't like turkey.  Or stuffing.  Or mashed potatoes.  Or pumpkin pie.  Just give me potato rolls and pecan pie.

I'm getting ready for our traditional Thanksgiving lasagna. Because I refuse to eat turkey. Or mashed potatoes - though I eat almost everything else potato. However, I have warmed up to pumpkin pie in the last several years. Just make sure I have plenty of whipped cream.

As a kid, and into my 20s, I didn't like turkey at all, but I was an extreme carb addict so I ate up all the sides.  I'd have such a plate full most people wouldn't even notice I didn't have the turkey.  Potatos, stuffing, green bean casserole, bread or rolls, cranberry sauce, sweet jello/fruit salad that wasn't served as desert (not one of those weird ones with veggies or sour cream), some kind of "healthier" greens (this changed each year - traditional salad, cucumber salad, waldorf salad, etc) and anything else.  Sometimes corn casserole, sometimes sweet potatoes.  We'd have so many carby sides we'd joke that we should make rice and/or noodles too just to have all the carbs represented.

• Love 1

Holiday meals at my SIL always include stuffed shells.  Her oldest did not like most other holiday type foods, so she added that one as a guaranteed item that her kid liked.  Kid is 30 now, but the stuffed shells still make an appearance (much to my delight).

• Love 1

I didn't think I liked cranberry sauce because I'd only had the jelly kind from a can.  I made my own from scratch this year and wow, it's yummy.

So fine, it's technically a relish.  Still yummy.

I'm finding there are a whole lot of foods out there that I didn't think I liked only because I have had such poor examples of them.

• Love 1

Lol, Qoass, I only like the canned jelly kind. I had so many different versions of homemade, including homemade jellied, but give me that can and that satisfying plop when the suction breaks any day!

My holiday tradition is my great grandmothers sweet potato casserole. It's requested if I have people over or if I go to someone's house. 

Last thing, I never knew green bean casserole was a thing, much less a holiday dish, until I was in my late twenties.  and I grew up in the south (apparently my family didn't get the memo).

• Love 1

We only had the canned cranberry glob growing up and I did not like it.  I was never brave enough to venture into homemade versions once I saw how much sugar is in them.  I'm mystified by sweet potato casseroles - they generally take a sweet item and add buckets of sugar to it, at least in the versions I have had. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rcc said:

The worst is adding marshmallows to sweet potatoes. Yuck!

My sister-in-law tops them with pecans instead of marshmallows. They are much better. I still get them only so my plate isn't solid yellow-brown.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, auntlada said:

I still get them only so my plate isn't solid yellow-brown.

Ha! I totally had that moment this year as I was putting together the plates for me and my kids. I almost grabbed a bag of frozen anything green and tossed it in the microwave just to break up the brown.

And then I said the hell with it.

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 2

My family's sweet potato casserole is rather sweet (truth be told I think I put a little too much sugar in it this year. Apparently I was the only one who thought so) and with a marshmallow top (when you put them on there you shouldn't see the casserole). A friend called it candy one year. He also ate half of it. I had another friend peel off her marshmallow and pecan topping and wolf it down.  And there's plenty of wine to go with it! Trust !! That's a priority in my house.  

I'm a pretty big sweet person but other than pumpkin pie there isn't a whole lot of traditional thanksgiving desserts I like.  I prefer cake batter. 

• Love 1
On 11/23/2016 at 3:28 PM, janestclair said:

I'm with you on the canned cranberry sauce, I buy my own can ever year and bring it because I'm the only one who eats it. I will not eat turkey and dressing without my cranberry sauce. Yuck to the Stove Top though, sorry!

On 11/28/2016 at 9:37 AM, callie lee 29 said:

Lol, Qoass, I only like the canned jelly kind. I had so many different versions of homemade, including homemade jellied, but give me that can and that satisfying plop when the suction breaks any day!

Yep!

I have picked up my breakfast treat for New Year's weekend:  Banquet Sausage and Gravy kit.  You pour the gravy out of a can, mix the biscuit mix with water, plop that on top and bake.  It costs $1.50 at my local Job Lot and serves four.

Forgive me.

• Love 2

I watched The Chew today and they started out by asking viewers for their strange food cravings. The first was scrambled eggs topped with peanut butter. Then they served the hosts breaded chicken cutlet topped with Nutella. Yuck to both.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I watched The Chew today and they started out by asking viewers for their strange food cravings. The first was scrambled eggs topped with peanut butter. Then they served the hosts breaded chicken cutlet topped with Nutella. Yuck to both.

We can blame Scott Foley for all the mentions of scrambled eggs and peanut butter recently.

• Love 1

My food confession is nothing unusual, per se, except in terms of popularity, but I hate peeps. HATE. Fresh, stale, doesn't matter. Gross. Ditto jelly beans. An all chocolate Easter with some eggs - I do love boiled eggs - is my ideal way to celebrate the holiday!

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

My food confession is nothing unusual, per se, except in terms of popularity, but I hate peeps. HATE. Fresh, stale, doesn't matter. Gross. Ditto jelly beans. An all chocolate Easter with some eggs - I do love boiled eggs - is my ideal way to celebrate the holiday!

I've never had a Peep. They always seemed like they'd be icky to me. I also despise jelly beans. Someone who should have known better got me a bag of jelly beans with a stuffed bunny rabbit once when I was young. They were lucky the bunny was cute.

• Love 1

People either love it or hate it.

Y'all are doing it wrong.  You don't eat the plain/original Peeps. You eat the Gingerbread, or chocolate, or birthday cake, or coconut dipped in chocolate, or pumpkin spice....

• Love 2

What is a Peep?

I hate jellybeans too! Just sweet and no other flavours!

I don't like marshmallows either although apparently in Australia our marshmallows are inferior to the American ones but I've never had an American one. 

LOVE Cilantro!!!! My entire family loves it! Even the kidlet ever since he was a baby.  I used to puree Cilantro  (coriander) and add it to his home made baby food. 

I stopped at three different stores this week to check out the leftover Easter candy and left all disappointed.  I was hoping to find Brach's Spiced Jelly Bird Eggs and came up empty-handed.  No malted milk eggs, either.  I found Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs, and bought 2 six-packs, but they werent discounted by much.  Maybe next week.  As if I need more.   

When I was 4 or 5 years old, my aunt was babysitting me and she let me eat a whole package (I think there were 6 peeps in a package back then). Needless to say they made me sick, puking up yellow peeps. I haven't eaten peeps since.

Peeps with pencils and scissors stuck through them, then covered with stage blood and put in the window of my office at the theatre to scare the kids is the best use of Peeps ever!

I really must see if I can find that picture...

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I hate jellybeans too! Just sweet and no other flavours!

That's exactly why I hate jelly beans, too, and all other candies that can be described that way.

And since I don't like marshmallow, either, I really hate Peeps.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, forumfish said:

Mom uses Peeps for making s'mores in the microwave.

Leftover Peeps (waaaaay leftover, like a year) get kinda crisp, like meringues.

I ate an entire bag of Whopper Robin Eggs this week. All by myself.

It's not like they're made for sharing.

• Love 3

I love Peeps and Cadbury Creme Eggs. My Target had an entire shopping cart full of Reese's Eggs and mini eggs. It was nearly impossible to fix creme eggs this year, even before Easter. Looks like they bet wrong on the Recces!

On 4/21/2017 at 2:45 PM, ariel said:

I think Peeps are like Cilantro.  People either love it or hate it.

I hate both. The only way I will eat marshmallows is burnt on the end of a stick and cilantro tastes like sweat socks to me.

Just now, spiderpig said:

Any New Englanders here?  Devil Dogs.  Frozen.

Yes but I have never had one.  As a kid I didn't even like Twinkies, Hostess cup cakes or Snowballs.  

1 minute ago, wings707 said:

Yes but I have never had one.  As a kid I didn't even like Twinkies, Hostess cup cakes or Snowballs.  

Mr. pig is a die-hard Bostonian and after 40 years on the West Coast still has the accent to prove it.

We still have family in the area who ship him his beloved Devil Dogs, and he happily chows down in his TV recliner.

They don't market a satisfactory equivalent out here in sunny CA.

• Love 2

I love Tater Tots.  I hadn't had them in many years when I moved to be closer to my grandchildren.  They requested them one day and OMG!  All the love came flooding back.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Mr. pig is a die-hard Bostonian and after 40 years on the West Coast still has the accent to prove it.

We still have family in the area who ship him his beloved Devil Dogs, and he happily chows down in his TV recliner.

They don't market a satisfactory equivalent out here in sunny CA.

A world without Devil Dogs? I don't even want to think about it!

• Love 3

Spam! Hubby and I grew up with it so we loooooove it! Makes the best fried rice! 

Public Holiday today so a lot of restaurants were closed. I made Spam sandwiches with deep fried eggs for the boys and I. Sooooo good but it will probably kill us all! 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, wings707 said:

I love Tater Tots.  I hadn't had them in many years when I moved to be closer to my grandchildren.  They requested them one day and OMG!  All the love came flooding back.  

I love Tater Tots and Ore Ida Crispy Crowns which are basically crispy tater rounds. They get crispier then tots and cook really well in my toaster oven when it's on the convection setting.

• Love 2