Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

Yes, 'not available in stores', or 'not on Amazon' means nothing.    If its only available on TV, then I go to that middle section by the checkout at Walmart, and if it's not there, it's in the individual department.    And it's somewhere on Amazon, maybe by a third party seller, or some other vendor, but it's there.     With items I see on TV, then I look and see if there are any Amazon customer reviews.    I love a good one or two star review, saying what the problems are with the item. 

I really like some of the TV Shark Tank items too.    A lot of them aren't something I need, but the few I've bought have been really nice (often off of Amazon, or Walmart too).  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, 'not available in stores', or 'not on Amazon' means nothing.    If its only available on TV, then I go to that middle section by the checkout at Walmart, and if it's not there, it's in the individual department.    And it's somewhere on Amazon, maybe by a third party seller, or some other vendor, but it's there.     With items I see on TV, then I look and see if there are any Amazon customer reviews.    I love a good one or two star review, saying what the problems are with the item. 

I really like some of the TV Shark Tank items too.    A lot of them aren't something I need, but the few I've bought have been really nice (often off of Amazon, or Walmart too).  

Sometimes Walgreens sells as sold on tv crap as well

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

To every thing there is a season...we have moved on from malls to online. I hope the investors in the malls can find some new draw for all that square footage. Maybe ethnic markets/groceries? Exercise experiences? 

I haven't been to a mall in years, but if there were food experiences or even exercise experience (that in this "trying" time) were safe, I might go...

God I hate that "in these trying times" tag they put on all the ads!!!

• Love 6
On 10/16/2020 at 6:36 PM, Gramto6 said:

To every thing there is a season...we have moved on from malls to online. I hope the investors in the malls can find some new draw for all that square footage. Maybe ethnic markets/groceries? Exercise experiences? 

I haven't been to a mall in years, but if there were food experiences or even exercise experience (that in this "trying" time) were safe, I might go...

God I hate that "in these trying times" tag they put on all the ads!!!

The mall in our town is considering developing part of it as residential.

• Useful 1

I can't remember buying something I've seen in a tv ad, but I have looked at reviews for a few, including Alien Tape. One YouTube review was enough for me to decided it was not for me. Finding out that it removes paint from your wall makes it pretty useless for hanging pictures.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

As I have said many time, I only buy local, but I look at reviews online to see if I want to buy the product.

I have watched the Alien Tape commercial, and I thought the product would be something that I would consider.  Then I read the reviews here.

I guess I will have to take a hard pass on the product.

The Flex Paste that I bought to attach that small board to a lower section outside of my house that wasn't nailable, is still holding that board in place.  It has held up through rain and wind, and rapid temperature changes through several months.

Yep, we bought some for Hubby to fix a leak in SIL's roof. It's still pristine despite the torrential rains we get on the Washington coast.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have watched the Alien Tape commercial, and I thought the product would be something that I would consider.  Then I read the reviews here.

Thanks for that.  I had just seen the commercial and was wondering if it did all as claimed.  Looked too good to be true.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

As I have said many time, I only buy local, but I look at reviews online to see if I want to buy the product.

I guess I will have to take a hard pass on the product.

19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I can't remember buying something I've seen in a tv ad, but I have looked at reviews for a few, including Alien Tape. One YouTube review was enough for me to decided it was not for me. Finding out that it removes paint from your wall makes it pretty useless for hanging pictures.

I was interested in this stuff because it sounded like a more secure alternative to Command strips, but there's teeny tiny print at the bottom of the screen during the ad that blandly states that it will stick permanently to painted surfaces. It should be worded more strongly as an actual warning. But from the reviews, it doesn't even stick all that well to other surfaces when it should. I'll pass.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

TryStretchandFresh.com: Storage containers with lids that stretch over food that's too large for the container.  When they show how to do it wrong, with plastic wrap and/or foil, it's in COLOR, not B&W...and they show the salad in the bowl shriveling and turning brown. I kinda wish it had been filmed in B&W.

• Love 4
On 1/25/2021 at 4:27 PM, peacheslatour said:

Yep, we bought some for Hubby to fix a leak in SIL's roof. It's still pristine despite the torrential rains we get on the Washington coast.

The Flex Paste works well but not as well as shown on TV.  It does seal stuff very well but my husband has never been able to seal something while it was wet or underwater.  Not a big deal simply remove water and dry surface and it works just fine. *shrug*

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

The Flex Paste works well but not as well as shown on TV.  It does seal stuff very well but my husband has never been able to seal something while it was wet or underwater.  Not a big deal simply remove water and dry surface and it works just fine. *shrug*

There is some weird elegant coming together of worlds where the efficacy of a product’s ability to work underwater is reviewed by the Dirty Bubble. (dun dun dun)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

On the other hand, Flex Tape was a miracle in water, at least for me.  A window in my crawl space sprung a leak in a heavy storm and water was pouring in, I mean like Niagara Falls.  I needed something to stop it ASAP and had some in my garage, so thought what the hell.  It actually worked and stayed there until I was able to get it fixed weeks later.

Don't ask why I have windows in my crawl space.  It's an older home and a lot of things make no sense at all.

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

We tried to use Flex Tape on a garden hose with a small hole, and it DID NOT work. However, we have extremely good water pressure, so that might be a mitigating factor. We also found that we couldn't use those hoses that were being advertised for a while that curled up when you were done using them (Pocket Hose), because our water pressure would cause them to rupture after a few uses.

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

How about Crepe Erase? anyone ever use that? They advertise it constantly on Ovation when I'm watching Midsomer Murders.

I would never pay $79 for something whose main ingredients are water, shea butter and cocoa and coconut butter. Any good quality moisturizer will make crepe skin look better (until it gets completely absorbed and starts to dry out again).  Read online reviews before you buy anything! JMO of course.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, sempervivum said:

I would never pay $79 for something whose main ingredients are water, shea butter and cocoa and coconut butter. Any good quality moisturizer will make crepe skin look better (until it gets completely absorbed and starts to dry out again).  Read online reviews before you buy anything! JMO of course.

Yeah. That's what I figured.

• Love 4

Have been seeing a new one (to me) for Scalp Med to regrow your hair. Ok, contains minoxidil, yeah that can help, but the before and after pictures they show of the people giving testimonials are ridiculous. And costs at least double what Rogaine does. Anyone try it?

Has anyone tried that Luminess Silk make up air brush? I always think of painting a ceiling when I see the ads. While most of it gets where it's supposed to, isn't there some waste that falls downward? I find it very hard to believe you can blow liquid onto your face without some of it landing on your clothes, countertop and/or floor.  And then I hear my late Mom, "Who's gonna clean up that mess?"  (Usually said after seeing a food fight in a movie)

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Has anyone tried that Luminess Silk make up air brush? I always think of painting a ceiling when I see the ads. While most of it gets where it's supposed to, isn't there some waste that falls downward? I find it very hard to believe you can blow liquid onto your face without some of it landing on your clothes, countertop and/or floor.  And then I hear my late Mom, "Who's gonna clean up that mess?"  (Usually said after seeing a food fight in a movie)

Lol, I say the same thing. I hate food fights in movies. And I agree, it seems like that makeup would get on everything.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Actually, it doesn't really splatter.  You hold the air brush close enough to your face that it doesn't splatter and it is a smaller spray that comes out, not like a real airbrush.  If you're doing under your chin/neck, it may splatter on your clothes, so it's a good idea to cover the area, just in case.

It does work.  It took a week or so to get the hang of it, but it covered my flaws nicely, most especially the dark bags under my eyes.  I don't use it as often as I used to, because I'm working from home and screw that getting dressed up shit.  I never used the spray on blush because I was too lazy to clean the cup that holds the color twice. 🙂

Edited by madmax
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 10/14/2020 at 1:30 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought I was having a flashback to my teens last night.   They showed a TV ad for a huge set of kitchen knives, and cleavers.    And if you buy it from the company, you get two sets.      My kitchen isn't that small, and I wouldn't have enough space to store the knives, even with some in the huge knife block that comes with it.    A lifetime supply of knives, and then you get the other set too.    Guess what a lot of people will be getting for Christmas?   Yes, the second set of knives. 

I would have to regift them...one of my biggest horrors is that if I had a huge set of kitchen knives, some intruder might break in and murder me with them.

Because, apparently, no intruder comes in already bearing weapons...

On 3/30/2021 at 10:49 AM, cinsays said:

Have been seeing a new one (to me) for Scalp Med to regrow your hair. Ok, contains minoxidil, yeah that can help, but the before and after pictures they show of the people giving testimonials are ridiculous. And costs at least double what Rogaine does. Anyone try it?

I haven't seen this, but am semi-interested, as I go through sporadic periods of hair loss due to lupus. 

I've found biotin shampoos to be quite effective, though, and not very expensive, so I guess I'd have to get some legit proof this product would be better.

• Useful 3
(edited)
On 4/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, SnarkySheep said:

I would have to regift them...one of my biggest horrors is that if I had a huge set of kitchen knives, some intruder might break in and murder me with them.

Because, apparently, no intruder comes in already bearing weapons...

The future victims in those movies always have conveniently place knives available for handy use by intruders.   I think it's in their contract as victims. 

I bought the Shark Tank "Hairy Grabster" (it's a suction cup device that you pick up loose hair in the tub or sink, and wipe it on the grabster.    I works pretty well so far.      I also bought the FurZapper, but I haven't tried it yet (it's on a  Fedex truck somewhere, so hopefully I get it soon).

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

They updated the sex toy infomercial.  They have the same lady presenting the goods.  Her teeth look better, whiter.  I don't understand why the same infomercial airs multiple times overnight on the same channel.  If anyone is going to order those types of items, I would think they would get on the stick and order right away.

There are sex toy infomercials?  What channels do you watch?  I'm still mildly shocked that Venus has a pubic hair shaver complete with live model illustration (OK she's wearing a bikini) and it's all spelled out and spoken out in the ad!  No "down there" or "bikini zone" or other euphemisms.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

There are sex toy infomercials?

I don't know about infomercials, but Adam & Eve runs several commercials.  Usually with a pretty good discount code.

12 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I'm still mildly shocked that Venus has a pubic hair shaver complete with live model illustration (OK she's wearing a bikini) and it's all spelled out and spoken out in the ad!  No "down there" or "bikini zone" or other euphemisms.

Thank goodness for that; pubic isn't a bad word, nor is body hair gross when it happens to sprout out of a woman.  But the Venus commercial still implies women's pubic hair (because, of course, men can just leave theirs alone, but women better make sure theirs don't offend) needs special equipment.

• Love 5

The Bell & Howell "Bionic" Solar LED spotlight with motion detection (only $19.99)

It lights up when it senses motion and when the motion stops, it goes out after 30 seconds.  Then they show it pouring rain and the light is on.  First of all, does RAIN qualify as motion for the light to go on?  Second, if the solar-powered light is on all (rainy) day, noticing the motion of the rain, and there's no sun to recharge it, just how long will its power last?

My brother had motion detector lights at his house when he lived in Richmond. The deer would come up & eat the begonias until they got to the range of the motion detector and the lights went on to chase 'em away. They got very adept at knowing where that line was. So while it may chase wildlife away, they'll find a work-around. LOL.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Bell & Howell "Bionic" Solar LED spotlight with motion detection (only $19.99)

It lights up when it senses motion and when the motion stops, it goes out after 30 seconds.  Then they show it pouring rain and the light is on.  First of all, does RAIN qualify as motion for the light to go on?  Second, if the solar-powered light is on all (rainy) day, noticing the motion of the rain, and there's no sun to recharge it, just how long will its power last?

My brother had motion detector lights at his house when he lived in Richmond. The deer would come up & eat the begonias until they got to the range of the motion detector and the lights went on to chase 'em away. They got very adept at knowing where that line was. So while it may chase wildlife away, they'll find a work-around. LOL.

And what about wind? If the branches on the trees are waving wildly, do the lights go on and off continuously?

• Love 1

I can't speak for the Bell & Howell light but our Ring doorbell goes off when it rains, wind blows the trees, or when a squirrel crosses the porch.  I also had a wasp land on the camera and it looked like something from a monster movie.

Edited by Haleth
  • LOL 16
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Granted I was half a sleep, but during that sex toy infomercial, I could have sworn that I heard a sex therapist say that three quarters of the adult population owns a sex toy/marital aid.  I guess they took a poll (pole).  She didn't say if it vibrated or not.

They still call them marital aids? 

• LOL 5
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And such bad information. No, all women do not like to be choked or have their hair pulled.

As to these sex toys infomercials some of y'all are so fond of 😛 ...

do they address the BDSM side of sexy times with "toys" too?  Asking for a friend.

I know this is kind of a big ticket item for As Seen On... but does anybody here have Leaf Guard? My DH is obsessed with having this done to our gutters and I'd really like him to never go on the roof again. It just seems too good to be true.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I know this is kind of a big ticket item for As Seen On... but does anybody here have Leaf Guard? My DH is obsessed with having this done to our gutters and I'd really like him to never go on the roof again. It just seems too good to be true.

I don't have Leaf Guard but a woman in my office does/did.  She hated it and recently  had it removed.

Here's a link to customer reviews:

https://leafguard.pissedconsumer.com/review.html?starRating=1

Edited by AnnA
  • Useful 3
Just now, AnnA said:

I don't have Leaf Guard but a woman in my office does/did.  She hated it and recently  had it removed.

Here's a link to customer reviews:

110 LeafGuard Reviews and Complaints - Rating 1/5 @ Pissed Consumer

Thank you! So what's the answer? I guess hiring someone to clean the gutters is the only way.

• Like 1
(edited)
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you! So what's the answer? I guess hiring someone to clean the gutters is the only way.

That's what I do.  I hire a gutter cleaning service because they're insured.  I don't want to use the landscaper's guys or the handymen who advertise in the local paper because if they fall off the ladder or my roof, they're going to sue me.  An insured gutter cleaning service has their own insurance.

ETA:  I had trouble posting that link but you can find it by searching for leaf guard reviews.  The website is pissedconsumer.com

Edited by AnnA
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3