Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Mr. Clean has a new product called Clean Freak. Can you imagine June Cleaver using a product with the word freak in it? She would probably clutch her pearls and have the vapors and Eddie Haskel would laugh his ass off.

And it's a freaking GREAT product!! I tested it on my toaster oven, and it got off all the crap nothing else would. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Colleenna said:

And it's a freaking GREAT product!! I tested it on my toaster oven, and it got off all the crap nothing else would. 

I was wondering about it, whether it would be a good product on the shower tiles/glass doors.  Will give it a try.

I love, love the magic erasers but the problem I have with the sheets is that they are one use and into the trash.  The erasers can be used until there is virtually nothing left of them.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

but the problem I have with the sheets is that they are one use and into the trash.  The erasers can be used until there is virtually nothing left of them.

that's what I like about them. For some tougher things, I've folded them over, wadded the up in a ball and they work great. Maybe because I only have energy to do one job at a time, they are great.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 8/30/2019 at 7:08 PM, Colleenna said:

Thanks for mentioning this. My toaster oven is probably on the edge of becoming a health hazard soon due to the crust from dropped burnt food.... 😬

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Thanks for mentioning this. My toaster oven is probably on the edge of becoming a health hazard soon due to the crust from dropped burnt food.... 😬

It even got off the grossness on the inside of the glass door with minimal effort. I sprayed a light coat, waited 30 seconds, and wiped away years with a damp paper towel. 

• Useful 1

So I am looking into buying a new pot/pan set. Note, I am single, and do not cook all that much. Summer time is grill time, winter is when I use the cookware more often and that is mostly easy dishes for a single guy. Fish, rice, noodles, chicken etc. etc. What I currently have is old, so I am looking to replace. Plus I may have made the mistake of telling my family I would host Thanksgiving this year. I was looking at this Gotham Steel Cookware Set. The problem is that the reviews seem to range from either 1 star or 5 stars on a 50/50 ratio. Maybe it depends on the 3rd party seller, but when I look at Gotham Steel on Amazon, some of the 1 star reviews have pictures that just make me shiver. I like this set because it has the steamer insert for the 5 qt. Dutch Oven., and all I could think of is I could finally buy some crab legs when I see them at the store.

Anyone have any experience with these or is there a brand/set one would recommend I could look at.

Also these Multi Cookers any good? What brand would you all recommend for that?

You don't have to buy a matching set, y'know. Buy pieces you need, one at a time if you have to save up for them. I've been watching "Cook's Country" on the Create network (part of PBS) and they frequently have product reviews - I've been buying stuff they recommend, almost never the same brand.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You don't have to buy a matching set, y'know. Buy pieces you need, one at a time if you have to save up for them. I've been watching "Cook's Country" on the Create network (part of PBS) and they frequently have product reviews - I've been buying stuff they recommend, almost never the same brand.

Exactly. If you buy a set, you'll probably end up with pieces you don't need or use. You can buy a steamer insert that fits a variety of pans for cheap.

OXO steamer insert

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

If you have a Macy's nearby, their house brand (Belgique) is fairly decent quality, and you can buy them by the piece.  They often run really good sales (especially if you're a credit card holder).  If you have a Boscov's nearby, they often run TFal on decent sales (again, especially if your're a credit card holder).  I got my TFal set at Boscov's a few years ago and it's holding up well, save for where my husband used metal utensils and made a scratch or two.......

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I got a set of Farberware as a wedding gift nearly forty years ago and they still look and work great.

We got Revereware and had it over 20 years before we replaced it.  The stove at our old place didn't work well, and it was eventually damaged too badly.

I have Corning Ware that I've had for 45 years, I love it, I occasionally have had to work hard at cleaning it because some idiot thinks you can use glass cooking ware the same ways as metal, you can't, you have to use lower temps. But it isn't for everyone. I have a set of Faberware I got a couple of years ago when my Corning Ware was packed away. Some of the pans are fine, but the skillets are a mess, the big one because it isn't big enough, I'm going to invest in a bigger skillet. I'm also getting some of the Mr. Clean Clean Freak cleanser next week and see if it works to clean this stuff. And to keep it on topic, I have purchased one of the Kathy Mitchell pans, Copper something, it's the sandwich maker, I liked it fine until I left it on the stove after I had taken an Ambien and didn't wake up until 3 hours later when my sister knocked on my door and asked if I was going to use it? Duh, if the pan has turned from red to black and the burner is still on and whatever was inside is now a charcoal briquette, turn the burner off and then ask me.  Obviously, I've forgotten it. But, unless you have OCD, like me, you don't have to have matching cookware, like people above have mentioned. Buy a piece or two as you can, need it, find it on sale, it's all good. For the most part, heavy is better in cookware, it doesn't burn as easily. If you are wanting to put things in the oven, you won't want plastic handles, but if you are going to exclusively use the cookware on top of the stove, plastic handles allow you to pick up a pan without a hot pad or glove. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I got a set of Farberware as a wedding gift nearly forty years ago and they still look and work great.

Forty years - pffft!  My mom got her cookware in the 1940's/early 50's, and her long term caregivers were more than happy to take it off my hands when she died a couple years ago.

And I've upgraded some of my Corningware and pots & pans, but I still get to visit with them when I'm at my son & DIL's.  And the "silver"ware is at my daughter's.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SoMuchTV said:
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Forty years - pffft!  My mom got her cookware in the 1940's/early 50's,

I wasn't born until 1950, so I had no need for cookware of any sort for myself until I was in my 20's, in the 1970s. 

• Love 1
Just now, SoMuchTV said:

Forty years - pffft!  My mom got her cookware in the 1940's/early 50's, and her long term caregivers were more than happy to take it off my hands when she died a couple years ago.

And I've upgraded some of my Corningware and pots & pans, but I still get to visit with them when I'm at my son & DIL's.  And the "silver"ware is at my daughter's.

I swear some of my mother's Pyrex goes back to the 1930's from when her parents got married. Still works a treat. They used to make Pyrex in France but they don't any more. I wonder if that affects the quality?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I swear some of my mother's Pyrex goes back to the 1930's from when her parents got married. Still works a treat. They used to make Pyrex in France but they don't any more. I wonder if that affects the quality?

Yeah, I think that's a known thing.  "Newer" Pyrex (I'm not sure of the exact dates) tends to explode.  I remember researching that after we were at my son/DIL's and the roasted chicken breast pan exploded in the oven.  Fun getting the glass out of everything.

• Love 2

It really bugs me that the company didn't have to change its name after they clearly changed how they manufactured the glass.  I bought some Pyrex a few years ago and I knew something was different when I first held it in the store.  It didn't feel as thick and sturdy.  When I brought it up to the register to purchase the cashier told me about how one exploded on her. Ugh, just what I thought.  I needed a glass pan, so I bought it anyways, but it seems to me like a serious safety concern and moral breach to continue to piggyback off of the name of the product that is known for doing the exact opposite.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I have a newer Pyrex baking dish I've been using for years, mainly baking chicken, so never above 375 degrees. Never had a problem with it.

The Pyrex Glass Controversy That Just Won't Die (Gizmodo)

Basically the glass pans used to be made out of boroscillate glass.  They're now made out of soda-lime glass.  Boroscillate glass is WAY more resistant to thermal shock than soda-lime glass. I knew about the tempering issues, I didn't know the names for the different compounds though.  Something else I learned from this article is that one can buy boroscillate pans from Amazon, so I guess that's what I'll be doing from now on.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I have a newer Pyrex baking dish I've been using for years, mainly baking chicken, so never above 375 degrees. Never had a problem with it.

I have a bunch of newer Pyrex and have never had an issue with it either.  I make sure there are no chips or cracks (which can contribue to explosion - the old stuff could be used chipped or cracked, but not the new stuff).  I also make sure it's room temperature when it goes in the oven (taking it directly from the refrigerator to the oven can also cause explosion, as can putting cold foods in it then putting it directly in to the oven).  And I NEVER put it in the freezer at any time.  Ever.  I rarely use it at high temperatures, and don't use it on the stovetop at any time - just the oven or microwave (for smaller pieces).

I'm not accusing anyone here of doing any of that, but those are things that can contribute to the glass exploding.  I have a 9x13 Pyrex baking dish, and I've had it under the broiler once or twice with no issues (I don't often use at high heat, and it wasn't under for long), but again, YMMV.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I had mine for years too and used it a lot before it exploded. I never bake above 350 degrees also I always let my meat hit room temp before cooking and I don't preheat I put my pans or baking dishes in and let them warm with the oven. So I don't know why it exploded but as soon as I put it on the cutting board (which was dry) boom. I had to throw out a slab of ribs because of that :-(

• Love 1

I did purchase the Mr. Clean Freak, but haven't used it yet, my hand was injured about a month ago and I'm just getting full use of it again. Today was my first full day of no compression bandage and my typing is almost normal again. Sometime in the next couple of days, I'm going to read the directions and give the stuff a try.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I did purchase the Mr. Clean Freak, but haven't used it yet, my hand was injured about a month ago and I'm just getting full use of it again. Today was my first full day of no compression bandage and my typing is almost normal again. Sometime in the next couple of days, I'm going to read the directions and give the stuff a try.

Please share how it works.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Please share how it works.

Yes, please! I really want to try it on the louvered doors between my kitchen and laundry room. The doors are next to the stove and get greased up and are hard to clean. I usually use the Magic Eraser and it works pretty well but if a cleaner can help I will run right out and buy it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Had anyone bought the Duluth tank that is supposed to stay in place?  My Target tanks travel all over my back and I wonder if Duluth is as good as the commercial says it is.

I have been tempted to buy one but I don't think you can get them on Amazon so no reviews. I am really curious.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Had anyone bought the Duluth tank that is supposed to stay in place?  My Target tanks travel all over my back and I wonder if Duluth is as good as the commercial says it is.

I've bought several of the t-shirts and tank tops and like them a whole lot. I'm tall so I appreciate the extra length, plus the material is nicer than the flimsy see-through disintegrating stuff most women's t-shirts seem to be made of these days. They stay in place all the way down over the hips due to a bit of spandex, so if you have a standard hourglass body shape like all the models in the commercials you'll have a good-looking close-fitting tank. And even if you don't -- like me -- they're still nice as inner layers.

• Useful 5
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I've bought several of the t-shirts and tank tops and like them a whole lot. I'm tall so I appreciate the extra length, plus the material is nicer than the flimsy see-through disintegrating stuff most women's t-shirts seem to be made of these days. They stay in place all the way down over the hips due to a bit of spandex, so if you have a standard hourglass body shape like all the models in the commercials you'll have a good-looking close-fitting tank. And even if you don't -- like me -- they're still nice as inner layers.

Good to know. Thanks!

20 hours ago, mojoween said:

The "no yank tanks" do indeed stay in place.  I have a short torso (I'm tall, but it's all from my legs), so they're too long on me; I usually wear mine when I'm working in the yard or garage, which makes me laugh because I feel like I should be one of the women in the commercial.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
54 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The "no yank tanks" do indeed stay in place.  I have a short torso (I'm tall, but it's all from my legs), so they're too long on me; I usually wear mine when I'm working in the yard or garage, which makes me laugh because I feel like I should be one of the women in the commercial.

I would think they would be great to tuck in.

The reason the glass bakeware doesn't last now, it is more environmentally friendly, so it's much more fragile.    I only have older original pieces, and I don't care how baked on grease or other stuff gets, because the new stuff just isn't study any longer.   

• Love 4
15 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The reason the glass bakeware doesn't last now, it is more environmentally friendly, so it's much more fragile.    I only have older original pieces, and I don't care how baked on grease or other stuff gets, because the new stuff just isn't study any longer.   

I have some older Anchor Hocking like that.

28 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I know there's been some discussion of My Pillow on these boards--Tuesday Morning has them in their ad for $20. A far cry from the $50 they were going for. (still not buying one)

I got some gel infused pillows a few years ago at Big Lots, and we love them.  And paid a heck of a lot less.

• Useful 2