Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

Has anyone tried that new Dawn?  The ads show it being sprayed on dirty dishes, which are then cleaned using very little water.  I'd like to give it a try.

So would I. The number of cleaning products on the grocery store shelves is mighty sparse these days. I haven't cared enough to look for it on Amazon, where I think of things every day to order. It's like Christmas every day at our house lately.

• Love 6

Well phooey.  It's not in stores around here.  Rural midwest -- seems we're the last to see new products. 

Same with fashion -- if it's at our mall, it's already out of style.

But thanks, pepper, now that I know it works, we'll keep looking for it.

• LOL 4

`I had the new Dawn spray in my Walmart cart, which I started about 2 weeks before my once a month pay date, and then and then and then, the quarantine hit and I can't get anything I need from Walmart. I've used their grocery delivery for about a year and now, it takes 2 days to get an order delivered and half the stuff in the cart is out of stock. For next week, I'm going to be checking out Instacart and Shipt because they deliver from other stores. But I really want to try the new Dawn spray.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

`I had the new Dawn spray in my Walmart cart, which I started about 2 weeks before my once a month pay date, and then and then and then, the quarantine hit and I can't get anything I need from Walmart. I've used their grocery delivery for about a year and now, it takes 2 days to get an order delivered and half the stuff in the cart is out of stock. For next week, I'm going to be checking out Instacart and Shipt because they deliver from other stores. But I really want to try the new Dawn spray.

Amazon has it. Didn't try to order it, just was curious. Sometimes when you go to order something these days, it may arrive sometime in the next decade.

• Love 5
On 4/14/2020 at 7:11 PM, AuntiePam said:

Has anyone tried that new Dawn?  The ads show it being sprayed on dirty dishes, which are then cleaned using very little water.  I'd like to give it a try.

I have it and really like it! I've been using it a couple of weeks now (in conjunction with my other dish soap - I don't have a dishwasher) and it had worked great on a couple of Tupperware containers that are always hard to get residual grease from leftovers off of them. There was always a fine layer  and it gets it right off. 

Double check the scent you get though. I didn't realize there was different scents and just picked one up and got green apple...... Which I do not enjoy. It took me about two days to figure out where the damn apple scent was coming from.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Amazon has it. Didn't try to order it, just was curious. Sometimes when you go to order something these days, it may arrive sometime in the next decade.

Amazon does indeed have it, thirty bucks for a starter kit.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

and this is why I haven't bought it from Amazon, I have noticed when their supplies get low, they increase the price. I check back in a few days/weeks and the supplies are up and the price has decreased. And to keep it to commercials, I haven't seen their Ave Maria commercials lately, I didn't watch the ads, but I liked the music.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, peacheslatour said:

I just saw it at a supermarket, $10.99 for a bottle with the sprayer and a replacement bottle.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2020 at 7:19 PM, chessiegal said:

Which reminds me, I ordered a chocolate orange from them eons ago.  Wonder what lucky person ended up with it on my dime.

• LOL 1
10 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Which reminds me, I ordered a chocolate orange from them eons ago.  Wonder what lucky person ended up with it on my dime.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry any more. So I gave you a "funny".

• Love 1
On 11/23/2019 at 7:57 AM, Ashforth said:

Everyone hates on lawyers until they need one.

Good point. But I hate car repair shops EVEN when I need them. 

Ok. I know everyone is going to laugh, but I want to know: has anyone tried Plexiderm?

• LOL 1
On 4/14/2020 at 7:11 PM, AuntiePam said:

Over 6 weeks later, I found some at the store for $5.49. It does really work.

• Useful 3
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

If Dawn can safely remove grease from wildlife covered in oil, i believe it's a good product. When I was a vet tech back in the caveman days, we used it to get grease off of pets that slept under cars, in engine compartments. It's really gentle and it works. I like the foam version they have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 6/5/2020 at 8:16 PM, chessiegal said:
On 4/14/2020 at 6:11 PM, AuntiePam said:

I got some with my Walmart order last week. Paid less than $5 for it, don't remember exactly. I haven't tried it yet. I wanted it for cleaning the cookie sheet in particular but now we're in the mid to upper 90s and I will not use the oven when it's this hot. Maybe I'll try it on the Foreman Grill plates. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 11/23/2019 at 3:39 AM, smittykins said:

Newest lawyer ad:

”If you developed severe lung injuries after using feather pillows, you may be entitled to significant compensation.”

And let's not forget the law firm whose ad says something like " if you were molested by a boy scout leader, act now. Boy scouts of America is filing bankruptcy and once it's finalized you will no longer be able to take action".

I totally believe BSA is guilty of some scout leaders taking advantage of young boys. It's disgusting and I hope those "leaders" go to prison 

However, it's the law firms who are now targeting specific categories of lawsuits that bring in the big bucks for them. They're blood suckers too.

I know feather pillows and molestation are completely different things but my point is the new wave of "accident/injury attorneys doing "specialized" categories of lawsuits including feather pillows.

Many years ago, I was making margaritas in and Black and Decker blender. I didn't know it, but part of one of the metal blades broke off and ended up in my margarita drink. Luckily the blade sunk to the bottom of my drink glass so I noticed it. But to this day I still cringe when I think of what could have happened

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 4

I'm very nervous about trying a razor that's advertised as super sharp.  Visions of dripping blood come to mind.   And I don't want the ingrown hairs from getting very short stubble either.  

I wonder if those infrared or whatever they are hair growing hats work?   I keep getting ads for them, and for brush looking things that are supposed to do the same thing.     

I keep wondering what gadgets they'll come up with next.  

• Love 3
7 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if those infrared or whatever they are hair growing hats work?   I keep getting ads for them, and for brush looking things that are supposed to do the same thing.     

I tend to believe that if that contraption actually did work, it would be newsworthy, and not sold on some infomercial.

• Love 10
On 6/30/2020 at 9:48 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm very nervous about trying a razor that's advertised as super sharp.  Visions of dripping blood come to mind.   And I don't want the ingrown hairs from getting very short stubble either.  

I keep wondering what gadgets they'll come up with next.  

The hats are a scam. 
Interesting, but they do not work.
What surprises me is that there are so many fake products, especially pills.
EVERY product should pay to have an independent agency test for effectiveness.
But, alas, this is what has  happened throughout history.  Oh well...<<<sigh>>>

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/1/2020 at 4:25 AM, cynicat said:

I tend to believe that if that contraption actually did work, it would be newsworthy, and not sold on some infomercial.

And you can apply the same paradigm to all the diet 'supplements'. In fact you could apply it to every product that seems too good to be true.

• Love 8

Anyone ever try the Cubii? Watching TV with my mother recently, we saw the ad and she was interested, as a semi-disabled person who has a lot of trouble finding exercise she can do. However, the first red flag should have been the fact that they don't mention a price on the actual ad; you have to go online for that. (BTW, there are several models, ranging from $250-400.)

I have a similar foot peddler I bought on Amazon for $20, and the only thing I could see different offhand is that Cubii lets connect online to see how well other people are peddling. Like, no thanks?

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

I’ve been thinking about getting that!  It slices fruit too!  I could do like a dessert lasagna with sheets of apple 😋

Have you looked for reviews on-line? There are some people who buy this stuff and post videos on YouTube of how they work. I found one for a microwave hard egg cooker I saw in an ad. It worked, but I didn't buy it because it basically steams the eggs, so I found Alton Brown's steaming method, and use a sauce pan with my steamer basket. Works like a charm.

• Useful 3
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

Have you looked for reviews on-line? There are some people who buy this stuff and post videos on YouTube of how they work. I found one for a microwave hard egg cooker I saw in an ad. It worked, but I didn't buy it because it basically steams the eggs, so I found Alton Brown's steaming method, and use a sauce pan with my steamer basket. Works like a charm.

Good call on steaming them yourself, I once purchased a microwave egg cooker and my whole house smelled like a giant lingering fart for a whole day.

• LOL 11

Having aIready done the "ass over tea kettle"  blood all over the floor and black and blue eyes...breaking my glasses in the process...they asked me if was being abused in the ER...nope live alone. I had fallen flat on my face, maybe my cat tripped me (little devil he was). Went to PT to learn balance technics was OK but to this day I am extremely cautious on uneven ground but I wonder about that system...seems like another money grubbing scheme. I just take one step carefully at a time...

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Having aIready done the "ass over tea kettle"  blood all over the floor and black and blue eyes...breaking my glasses in the process...they asked me if was being abused in the ER...nope live alone. I had fallen flat on my face, maybe my cat tripped me (little devil he was). Went to PT to learn balance technics was OK but to this day I am extremely cautious on uneven ground but I wonder about that system...seems like another money grubbing scheme. I just take one step carefully at a time...

Same. I fainted twice last year. The first time I broke my nose, cracked a rib and split my lip, the second time I broke my wrist. Mixing high blood pressure drugs and poor balance is a recipe for disaster.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Same. I fainted twice last year. The first time I broke my nose, cracked a rib and split my lip, the second time I broke my wrist. Mixing high blood pressure drugs and poor balance is a recipe for disaster.

If I didn't use trekking poles while I hike I most likely would have been dead years ago from falling off a cliff or knocking myself out on a rock during a fall while crossing a stream. I can't even look up at the sky while I'm walking or I lose my balance! In my younger days I always joked that I was part mountain goat because I had no problem rapidly going from one boulder to the next on a rocky beach. 

I recently tried Toppix because I'm having another round of telogen effluvium, which happens to woman almost exactly 90 days after major surgery and sometimes after having a baby. The body goes into fight/flight mode and channels all of its nutrients to the most necessary, essential systems, which it doesn't consider hair to be and so that goes into a resting cycle of growth. This is the third time since 2017 it's happened after major surgeries and resulting complications. Thankfully, it always grows back but I already have thin hair to begin with. I bought a sample of the Toppix and sprinkled it on the more obvious areas on the top of my head but didn't notice much of a difference. Wondering if someone else has used it and has any tips. I was going to try Rogaine in the interim but then I read that you have to use it for the rest of your life or you'll start losing your hair loss again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

It's been a bit over 3 months since my gall bladder removal and I haven't noticed any more hair loss than usual.

You're lucky! No matter how gently I comb my hair a ton comes out at the moment. I was talking to my doctor recently and she'd had it happen after she had her baby. I think if: 1.) I hadn't gotten infections/complications from the first surgery in 2017 for diverculitis and having to have a temp colostomy bag, then 2) getting pneumonia during the surgery to reverse the colostomy nine months later and having to be on oxygen 24/7 at home for a month after that surgery, and 3) getting a major MRSA infection after my March 4th surgery requiring lots of invasive and intensely painful aftercare...it might not have happened each time. It's the result of shock, extreme stress, and trauma to the body. I'm only 56, damn it!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, Scout Finch said:

You're lucky! No matter how gently I comb my hair a ton comes out at the moment. I was talking to my doctor recently and she'd had it happen after she had her baby. I think if: 1.) I hadn't gotten infections/complications from the first surgery in 2017 for diverculitis and having to have a temp colostomy bag, then 2) getting pneumonia during the surgery to reverse the colostomy nine months later and having to be on oxygen 24/7 at home for a month after that surgery, and 3) getting a major MRSA infection after my March 4th surgery requiring lots of invasive and intensely painful aftercare...it might not have happened each time. It's the result of shock, extreme stress, and trauma to the body. I'm only 56, damn it!

Oh, I am so sorry that happened to you. Sincerely.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, I am so sorry that happened to you. Sincerely.

It really, really helps to have a dark sense of humor. The infectious diseases doctor told me that MRSA can remain an underlying, recurring problem and that there's always the possibility that it can hit me hard again months, or even years, later. To which my friend, who knows that apparently I can never do anything halfway when it comes to surgical complications (it couldn't just be a regular ol' incision infection, it had to be one of the worst staph ones) and how I sometimes feel like a walking worst-case scenario, said, "Oh, so it'll be years in your case!" Totally cracked me up because she beat me to the joke!

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 6
On 7/31/2020 at 3:10 PM, Scout Finch said:

I bought a sample of the Toppix and sprinkled it on the more obvious areas on the top of my head but didn't notice much of a difference. Wondering if someone else has used it and has any tips. I was going to try Rogaine in the interim but then I read that you have to use it for the rest of your life or you'll start losing your hair loss again.

Never tried either of these, but thanks to lupus, I've gone through phases of alarming hair loss. I have found that biotin shampoo really helps, both in preventing the hair from coming out and in stimulating new growth. My favorite is by Avalon Organics, which I get on Amazon every few months and use a couple times a week as "prevention".

• Useful 4
46 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

Never tried either of these, but thanks to lupus, I've gone through phases of alarming hair loss. I have found that biotin shampoo really helps, both in preventing the hair from coming out and in stimulating new growth. My favorite is by Avalon Organics, which I get on Amazon every few months and use a couple times a week as "prevention".

I'll have to try that! I tried hair gummy vitamins the first time it happened but my face suddenly started breaking out, and coupled with already feeling unattractive from the hair loss, I was all, "Oh, come ON. Seriously?" Turns out that it can be a side effect from too many milligrams of biotin, which the gummies had. I've been hesitant to try just a regular RDA biotin supplement even though it's very unlikely that I'd get that side effect from a normal amount. However, I just realized that it wouldn't matter now because my chin is already broken out with mask acne! Bah. 😁

ETA:  Is it the Biotin Shampoo? Amazon Prime Now has several of the brand's products. There's also has a matching conditioner. 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

ETA:  Is it the Biotin Shampoo? Amazon Prime Now has several of the brand's products. There's also has a matching conditioner. 

I'm sure the conditioner is also helpful, but I've never gotten it...for me at least, just the shampoo was enough.

• Love 1

I thought I was having a flashback to my teens last night.   They showed a TV ad for a huge set of kitchen knives, and cleavers.    And if you buy it from the company, you get two sets.      My kitchen isn't that small, and I wouldn't have enough space to store the knives, even with some in the huge knife block that comes with it.    A lifetime supply of knives, and then you get the other set too.    Guess what a lot of people will be getting for Christmas?   Yes, the second set of knives. 

• LOL 8