Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, JoanArc said:

NDAs.  The plot thickens. One of our legal people tell me if they are enforceable or not? I have read even though you have to sign them they are often unenforceable. 

Definitely not a lawyer--I think @Scarlett45 is, though!

I read a fair amount of NDAs about a month ago because I was binge-reading She Said and Catch and Kill, and Weinstein's NDAs with victims came up quite a bit. My impression for NDAs in those situations is similar to what Ginger90 said in that they are enforceable but getting increased scrutiny in certain situations. A lot of famous/well-to-do actresses were palpably still frightened of violating their NDAs concerning Weinstein and the legal consequences of doing so until it was obvious he was toppled and would probably not be able to enforce them by taking the women to court.

If Amy actually has an NDA, that is . . . interesting. Though it makes me wonder why Jim Bob didn't cram one down Derick's throat. LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Zella said:

If Amy actually has an NDA, that is . . . interesting. Though it makes me wonder why Jim Bob didn't cram one down Derick's throat. LOL

I'm guessing that JB doesn't have anything Derick wants and Derick's counting on him not taking it to court to keep from having any more of the Duggar's dirty laundry exposed. 

• Love 1

There’s not even a word to describe how despicable it is to enforce a NDA in which a niece can’t even mention her family.  But then I remember who I’m talking about and sadly this doesn’t even crack a Top Ten list of the awful things JB has done (that we know about).

• Love 9

The only way I could possibly see Amy signing an NDA with JB is from when she was doing other reality shows. It would have benefited both of them. It would have kept any less than flattering Duggar info on the down low and would have made it easier for Amy to keep the focus on her rather than her relatives by saying she can't discuss them.

If TLC had them sign NDAs it wouldn't be about each other, because that would be impossible to enforce. 

I'm not sure there is an NDA though. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Zella said:

Definitely not a lawyer--I think @Scarlett45 is, though!

I read a fair amount of NDAs about a month ago because I was binge-reading She Said and Catch and Kill, and Weinstein's NDAs with victims came up quite a bit. My impression for NDAs in those situations is similar to what Ginger90 said in that they are enforceable but getting increased scrutiny in certain situations. A lot of famous/well-to-do actresses were palpably still frightened of violating their NDAs concerning Weinstein and the legal consequences of doing so until it was obvious he was toppled and would probably not be able to enforce them by taking the women to court.

@Zella hi. Yup I’m a lawyer. The thing with NDAs is that you can’t use them to obstruct justice or perpetuate crimes. For example we cannot conspire to murder someone, sign a NDA, and then when you go to the police and expose our conspiracy I sue you for violating it!😂 

I would think all TLC reality show participants sign NDAs, which is why Derrick’s language is so cryptic. Jon Gosselin said his was valid for 10yrs. 

• Useful 10
  • Love 8
17 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Zella hi. Yup I’m a lawyer. The thing with NDAs is that you can’t use them to obstruct justice or perpetuate crimes. For example we cannot conspire to murder someone, sign a NDA, and then when you go to the police and expose our conspiracy I sue you for violating it!😂 

I would think all TLC reality show participants sign NDAs, which is why Derrick’s language is so cryptic. Jon Gosselin said his was valid for 10yrs. 

I thought Jon's NDA was with Kate and part of his divorce, not TLC.

11 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I thought TLC made him sign one? I could be mistaken. 

From am online article...

"Jon and Kate Gosselin split way back in 2009, but the couple signed a non-disclosure agreement as part of their divorce agreement, which meant neither could really trash the other in public.

For 10 years, that is.

With such a contract having now expired, Jon has made a point over and over of late of telling anyone who listens that Kate was a terrible wife and is now an irresponsible mother."

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

From am online article...

"Jon and Kate Gosselin split way back in 2009, but the couple signed a non-disclosure agreement as part of their divorce agreement, which meant neither could really trash the other in public.

For 10 years, that is.

With such a contract having now expired, Jon has made a point over and over of late of telling anyone who listens that Kate was a terrible wife and is now an irresponsible mother."

Ah! Ok thank you. 

Ah, great minds. @GeeGolly posted while I was writing this. I thought that Jon had signed an NDA for the show and a later one as part of the divorce settlement. 

I really don't see JB going to the trouble and expense of getting his own NDA drawn up for Amy to sign. I'd bet a hot dinner that the only NDA she signed was in connection with her appearance on the show. In that case, I assume that the other party to the NDA, the one for whose benefit it exists, is TLC. Not JB. JB could sue to enforce an NDA signed between Amy and TLC, ONLY if JB were a third party beneficiary of the NDA. That's someone who's not a party to the NDA, but is within the scope of the NDA's intended protection. 

Obviously we don't know what the TLC NDA says, but I'd be surprised if it says that JB is a third party beneficiary, and I doubt that JB would want to fund a lawsuit over the issue if he's not named as a third party beneficiary in the TLC NDA.

However, I can see JB doing some sword-rattling at Amy, and Amy deciding that she just doesn't need that bullshit in her life right now. As I think someone upthread has said, she's a new mom, and she and her husband have small businesses which have been slammed hard by the current pandemic. That's enough to be on anyone's plate. Without your skanky uncle stirring the shit over some YouTube video. 

As to the interview with Amy that got taken down (or set to private, basically the same thing) - I watched a long video where Katie was talking the whole time. It wasn't a live interview with Amy, but rather Katie's recap of her exchange of messages/emails with Amy. Amy had answered questions. And, it was innocuous. I don't remember her talking about a retreat but I may have missed it. Amy made clear that she wouldn't be answering questions about her family, or dissing them. She said she loves her cousins. She specifically said she and Jill are close, that Jill has recently modeled some clothes for Amy's store - and was compensated for that. If that's the video that got taken down, it was innocuous to the point that I was sorry I'd wasted the time on it.  Was that the one that got "someone's" shorts in a knot? Jeez. The term "snowflake" comes to mind.

@Scarlett45, that was a nice brief statement about NDAs. I believe they are  enforceable more in the area of private business dealings, than as to subjects of public interest such as government operations, expenditure of public funds, etc. And of course as you said, you can't cover up crimes, fraud, etc., with an NDA. I probably watch too many true crime shows, but I've just tickled myself by imagining some loony narcissist lawyer or accountant deciding to off someone and having his henchmen sign an NDA. And you KNOW there's someone out there who is evil and nuts enough to try something like that.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You hit the nail on the head. NDAs can’t be used to prevent disclosure of illegal acts. More generally, you also cannot trade a promise to either break or comply with the law in a contract. *I am not a lawyer. 

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 5

A couple of more ideas about why Amy would change her mind about having the interview up (even though it sounds like there was nothing bad in the video):

- she doesn't want to hurt her cousins by screwing up their family business. She may not care about hurting JB, but realizes that her cousins are largely dependent on him.

- might JB have some power over Mary Duggar's estate? Is it a family trust? Is Deanna somehow dependent on JB?

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I would think all TLC reality show participants sign NDAs, which is why Derrick’s language is so cryptic

That actually makes a lot of sense. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

might JB have some power over Mary Duggar's estate? Is it a family trust? Is Deanna somehow dependent on JB?

I think you're onto something. JB is likely the trustee of Mary's estate, and Deanna stands to inherit quite a bit. Amy is very close to Deanna; in no way would she want to jeopardize this. 

• Love 9

Tin Foil Hat Version: 

Scenario: Amy's always crawling after fame.....So's JB......The intervals between Duggar TeeVee shows are getting longer and longer just as the number of his dependents is getting bigger and bigger!

What are they to do? How to get those juicy media stories? How to drum up the needed drama to get their names back in the media again....

They put their heads together and come up with a plan..!...

Amy Duggar (not her name....) will do a pretty innocuous interview with Crystal Ball woman in which she mentions the Duggars some. After the interview has gone live for a few hours, Amy will tearfully phone the Crystal Ball woman and say that "someone" is insisting that the sweet little innocent interview be taken down. Crystal Ball woman gets into high dudgeon and makes a public fuss, full of insinuations..... DRAMA! 

And, voila, the name "Duggar" and Amy's photo are back in the tabs with full-fledged stories! Drama! Mystery! Martyrs! Villains! So many questions! Happy days are here again! 

Heh heh. We played you, Crystal Ball woman....

Happy ending and a big win win for conspiring fellow fame whores Amy Not a Duggar and JB!  

Cause before this, few in the public and nobody in the media had given a flying shit for either one of them for quite some time.  

Yeah, I don't think this is what happened.....But it could have.....Because Amy and JB are both much more fame whores than they are anything else, as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14

Amy posts, " A woman's voice should never be silenced ", yet she seemingly allowed herself to be silenced. So is that post a threat? What ever kept her quiet this time will likely shut her up next time too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Tin Foil Hat Version: 

Scenario: Amy's always crawling after fame.....So's JB......The intervals between Duggar TeeVee shows are getting longer and longer just as the number of his dependents is getting bigger and bigger!

What are they to do? How to get those juicy media stories? How to drum up the needed drama to get their names back in the media again....

They put their heads together and come up with a plan..!...

Amy Duggar (not her name....) will do a pretty innocuous interview with Crystal Ball woman in which she mentions the Duggars some. After the interview has gone live for a few hours, Amy will tearfully phone the Crystal Ball woman and say that "someone" is insisting that the sweet little innocent interview be taken down. Crystal Ball woman gets into high dudgeon and makes a public fuss, full of insinuations..... DRAMA! 

And, voila, the name "Duggar" and Amy's photo are back in the tabs with full-fledged stories! Drama! Mystery! Martyrs! Villains! So many questions! Happy days are here again! 

Heh heh. We played you, Crystal Ball woman....

Happy ending and a big win win for conspiring fellow fame whores Amy Not a Duggar and JB!  

Cause before this, few in the public and nobody in the media had given a flying shit for either one of them for quite some time.  

Yeah, I don't think this is what happened.....But it could have.....Because Amy and JB are both much more fame whores than they are anything else, as far as I'm concerned. 

I think JB's ego wouldn't allow him to agree to a plan that will end with him looking bad--on purpose, I mean. Everything he does makes him look bad even though he doesn't realize it. Amy, though? Yeah, that is absolutely something she would do. I just do not believe her on this. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, skatelady said:

Gee I wonder what they are doing to love and care for their neighbors?

Hopefully staying home and away from them so they flattenthecurve and the neighbors can avoid them. 

• Love 22

I know this is for snarkiness.. I can bring it anyday.. but what i'm reading is that a lot of people are dissing the restaurant.. I left my house and went to stay with my cousin in NH.. not because of the virus.. just something else that I will not gross you out with.  I came home and things are good.. NOW the restaurant:  Here, in NorthEastern Mass.  there are NO restaurants open.. only delivery or take-out.  My Aunt has been sick since MARCH 6th.. she can hardly breathe.. and that's not like her.. finally, the drs. office called her and she was SWABBED for Coronavirus.. thank god.. I was so worried.. but.. it takes 2-9 days for results

• Love 3
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Other than gingerbread men; who 'bakes people"? Not appetizing AT ALL.

If it was any other family, I would say this was an activity to promote math, reading, and baking skills, as well as, quality parent-child time whilst staying safely at home. But since it's the Duggar family, someone (Jana) probably put out the ingredients and half-assed watched because it's easier than properly homeschooling them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Nysha said:

If it was any other family, I would say this was an activity to promote math, reading, and baking skills, as well as, quality parent-child time whilst staying safely at home. But since it's the Duggar family, someone (Jana) probably put out the ingredients and half-assed watched because it's easier than properly homeschooling them.

Very true.

To their credit, I don't see any evidence that the Duggars are dismissing social distancing the way the Rods have.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 3/29/2020 at 12:51 PM, madpsych78 said:

Very true.

To their credit, I don't see any evidence that the Duggars are dismissing social distancing the way the Rods have.

Anna posted pictures of them at the TTH. There were nonDuggars among them meaning the Duggars threw a party at their overcrowded house for some friends.  We're talking about in the Josh and Anna thread.  And that's before we get to the in-laws. Both the Forsyths and the Caldwells have not taken it seriously. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
On 3/29/2020 at 8:11 AM, floridamom said:

Other than gingerbread men; who 'bakes people"? Not appetizing AT ALL.

It was "Bible Study". That's Adam and Eve. And they're naked....I'm surprised Lolli didn't cover them in lettuce leaves.

I'm positive there's hair in the dough also.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, drafan said:

It was "Bible Study". That's Adam and Eve. And they're naked....I'm surprised Lolli didn't cover them in lettuce leaves.

I'm positive there's hair in the dough also.

Maybe the hair in the dough was a nod toward modesty...Given enough, maybe Adam & Eve could knit their own clothes.

• LOL 3
12 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

It appears that Famy's husband's restaurant is still doing take out and delivery.  I wonder how they are doing.  Their facebook profile posted a GoFundMe for donations to help the staff pay their bills. 

well.PNG

Rather ballsy to do a Go Fund Me when a good portion of the work force from most industries are suffering.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

It appears that Famy's husband's restaurant is still doing take out and delivery.  I wonder how they are doing.  Their facebook profile posted a GoFundMe for donations to help the staff pay their bills. 

well.PNG

5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Rather ballsy to do a Go Fund Me when a good portion of the work force from most industries are suffering.

I visited the GFM page. It's a fundraiser on behalf of Wellington's staff. It says:

Wellington’s staff needs your help more than ever! Throughout all we are going through, try not to forget the people who serve and prepare your food and cocktails. As well as the folks who wash the dishes and clean the floors… people who make your life easier when you celebrate special occasions or who lend an ear in trying times!

Please consider making a donation to this fund to help our staff pay their bills, housing, utility bills, food, etc. Thank you for all you do, and we look forward to returning to serving you again and again.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

I visited the GFM page. It's a fundraiser on behalf of Wellington's staff. It says:

I read it too. Wellington's staff is in the same boat as other servers as well as hairdressers, musicians, retail sales, wedding venues and the list goes on and on.

I stand by my original post - rather ballsy.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I read it too. Wellington's staff is in the same boat as other servers as well as hairdressers, musicians, retail sales, wedding venues and the list goes on and on.

I stand by my original post - rather ballsy.

May we add graphic designers to that mix? Come on now, we all know if my clients are not working they can't send me work... therefore I also don't get paid! Sheesh! I would NEVER post a GFM!!! Sheesh!

• Love 8

I've seen some local businesses urge people to remember to tip right now for the sake of the employees (which seems fair enough to me, though I always tip, so I am astounded people have to be told that), but I can't say I've seen anyone else doing a GoFundMe for their employees like this. This leads me to believe that they're probably getting very few orders at all. 

I think it would look less tacky if the bosses stated how much money they had donated to their employees. I know they're a start-up, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say none. 

• Love 6

Wellington's just opened a few months back, so I can understand how Amy and her husband probably don't have the cash reserves to keep paying their entire staff until the crisis ends.  They could apply for a small business loan for payroll, but, it could be that they need more than that to keep the business open.  My sister and her husband have a small manufacturing company that they started more than 10 years ago.  They've been quite successful and have been very careful with their money as they expanded to about 100 employees.  I spoke to her this morning and her husband is at the bank applying for a federal loan to help with payroll.  They don't want to lay anyone off and their orders are way down with the crisis.  Even with the loan, she is not sure how long they can keep up on the other costs as they wait for business as usual to come back.

• Love 12