Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, sixlets said:

I would love to hear the conversations that have been occurring this week with the premiere of the new season.  Do you think J&D would watch?

Jill claimed in one of her live videos a while back that she doesn't watch the show anymore. I assume the same holds true for doofus.

• Love 1

I wonder if Derick pretends to eat it and spits it out when she's not looking? I know I would. Im not very picky when it comes to food, bit the stuff she's been posting is unappetizing.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Is it possible that no one ever taught Jill to DRAIN THE CANNED food?

All her horrible recipes look like they’re swimming in the sodium swamp they come with.

Oh absolutely! Why waste water when they come pre-watered and all that jazz. Jill really is the product of her environment. The sad thing is, most of us are...the difference is that most of us have the critical thinking skills to go "Hey I didn't like the way my mom did this so maybe I'll find a new way." My mom's cooking was basic---like vanilla basic meat, starch, veggie, and bread every single day. As an adult, I don't want to eat that way so I expanded. I'm not a great cook but I can follow a recipe! Jill, unfortunately, doesn't have that critical thinking area of her brain...she's just doing what she saw and thinks that's enough. 

• Love 17

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Enchiladas Recipe

Aug 3, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

Some friends of ours brought us these many years ago when my mom had a new baby and my mom asked for the recipe since they were so delicious! These are easy to make when you’ve got a bunch of leftover rice and they are sure to be crowd pleasing! When you’re in a pinch and have a bunch of mouths to feed, this recipe comes in handy! I halved the recipe in this picture.

20 flour tortillas

Filling:

5 C. cooked rice

1 C. sour cream

2 C. shredded cheddar cheese

2 cans cream of chicken soup

1 can green chiles (can blend if kids don’t like chunks)

1 can chicken, drain, smash with fork

2 t. pepper

2 t. onion powder

Cheese Sauce:

1 can green chiles (blend, optional)

1 can milk (or 1 1/2 cups milk)

Grease two 9×13″ pans (or one industrial pan). Mix filling ingredients together and fill tortillas. Roll and place in greased pans. Mix cheese sauce and warm in microwave. Pour sauce over top. Bake covered at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes

E6B8B86B-929B-43FA-A72E-92033518E525.jpeg

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Some friends of ours brought us these many years ago when my mom had a new baby and my mom asked for the recipe since they were so delicious! These are easy to make when you’ve got a bunch of leftover rice and they are sure to be crowd pleasing! When you’re in a pinch and have a bunch of mouths to feed, this recipe comes in handy! I halved the recipe in this picture.

20 flour tortillas

Filling:

5 C. cooked rice

1 C. sour cream

2 t. pepper

2 t. onion powder

Cheese Sauce:

Grease two 9×13″ pans (or one industrial pan). Mix filling ingredients together and fill tortillas. Roll and place in greased pans. Mix cheese sauce and warm in microwave. Pour sauce over top. Bake covered at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes

Jill knows there are foods that don’t come in cans, right? And what size of canned chicken? A small can wouldn’t be much compared to the amount of the other ingredients. Or is it like the chicken and noodles with optional chicken?

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, SaySay24 said:

Oh my word. This is the worst yet, in my opinion. I’m not a healthy cook and can go for so many Pioneer Woman recipes, but this is absolutely nuts right here. I can’t imagine this would even taste at all yummy. One CAN of chicken for TWENTY tortillas? 

I'm sure Jill figures the miniscule bits in the cream of chicken soup will make up the difference.

• Love 15
Just now, Jeeves said:

Yep, @bigskygirl - and what do you bet it tastes even worse?

I can only imagine! Yuck!!! I am surprise they do not have some serious digestive issues. I know I am not the best cook on the planet, but I bet I can do better than that. Sassy would not be tempted to eat this slop.

3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Sassy has standards. Just saying.

Sassy would call the animal abuse number if I tried to tempt her to take a bite. I cannot believe Jill would let Izzy or Sammy eat it.

Edited by bigskygirl
18 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm sure Jill figures the miniscule bits in the cream of chicken soup will make up the difference.

Well, it should.  After all, between the filling and the cheese sauce, she's used FOUR cans of cream of chicken soup.  GAG!!!

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

All her horrible recipes look like they’re swimming in the sodium swamp they come with.

This made me think of things that aren't drained on purpose or uses for what's drained off and I wondered what Jill would make of Aquafaba.  That's using the water from a can of chickpeas to make either a vegan whipped egg white substitute or whipped cream substitute (and it's delicious!).    And chickpeas themselves are so versatile and good for you; we've seen her eat hummus but have we seen her make hummus?  Maybe but I don't recall it.  These are the types of things she could actually learn about and reasonably share; not that there isn't a ton of info out there already on how to make hummus or aquafaba but I bet in her circle those would be exotic and interesting and, most important, outside of the normal canned sodium dump "recipes" she usually shares.

38 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

20 flour tortillas

Filling:

5 C. cooked rice

1 C. sour cream

2 t. pepper

2 t. onion powder

Cheese Sauce:

So much wrong here.  And so much easily fixable!  Why not use real chicken even if you bought a store made rotisserie?  Why not make your own cheese sauce starting with a roux and chicken broth (low sodium)?  And do the same for the filling?  Why not add veggies to the filling, onions instead of onion powder, peppers, even broccoli?  If you really want to take the extra step specify to use brown rice and whole grain tortillas.    The dairy and sodium lode in the recipe as written has got to be off the charts - I wish I knew how to calculate calories, sodium and cholesterol for this!  But with two growing boys I don't understand how Jill doesn't see the ways to modify these recipes to make them healthier and, honestly, adding veggies and fresh chicken to the filling would actually stretch the recipe also making it more economical (which I suspect is her main focus over health, quick and cheap wins out) 

• Love 13

Ugh. I disliked canned chicken and vegetables. Dear Jilly, for the love of all that is good and holy, please do yourself a favor and back away from the cans. IIRC, none of Ben's ingredients appeared to be from a can in that last episode of CO. 

However, after going through all these posts, now I want to find a recipe with beans, or something Cajun.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

20 flour tortillas

Filling:

5 C. cooked rice

1 C. sour cream

2 t. pepper

2 t. onion powder

Cheese Sauce:

This is what nightmares are made of. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Good lord!  That looks like the contents of a newborn's diaper!  And who in the he** has 'leftover rice', let alone 5 cups of the stuff? 

Just reading that recipe made me thirsty, it's like she goes out of her way to cram as much salt as possible into everything she makes.

Oh thank god someone else thought that too. My first thought was that it looked like my son's changing table after he had a particularly explosive day. 

• Love 8

That does not look like enchiladas I've ever seen. 

And, milk comes in cans? (I drink only plant milk, but even so have only ever seen varieties of cow's milk labeled "condensed" or "evaporated" in cans. Is that what she means?)

PS: to answer the question: lots of Asians sometimes have leftover rice after a meal. It can happen ?

Edited by graefin
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, graefin said:

That does not look like enchiladas I've ever seen. 

And, milk comes in cans? (I drink only plant milk, but even so have only ever seen varieties of cow's milk labeled "condensed" or "evaporated" in cans. Is that what she means?)

PS: to answer the question: lots of Asians sometimes have leftover rice after a meal. It can happen ?

Evaporated Milk comes in a can---I use it for baking and on occasion I'll use it to make Alfredo sauce if I'm out of cream. 

• Love 1
Just now, Loves2Dance said:

Evaporated Milk comes in a can---I use it for baking and on occasion I'll use it to make Alfredo sauce if I'm out of cream. 

OK, I know. But Jill doesn't specify. She just says "1 can of milk"? I mean, can we just grab whatever off the shelf? ?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, graefin said:

Undoubtedly she means condensed milk. Can't live without that added sugar that brings absolutely nothing to the meal. The ingredient choices boggle the mind!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, graefin said:

OK, I know. But Jill doesn't specify. She just says "1 can of milk"? I mean, can we just grab whatever off the shelf? ?

Coconut milk comes in cans, so you could even use that!

The way I read it, though, is that you use the can from the soup to measure one can’s worth of milk. I’ve done that before when making condensed soup — you avoid dirtying a measuring cup. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

I cannot believe Jill would let Izzy or Sammy eat it.

Duggars eat this way when they’re pregnant FFS. All that salt, fat and sugar?

It’s a wonder so many Duggar spawn seem relatively healthy.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

Coconut milk comes in cans, so you could even use that!

The way I read it, though, is that you use the can from the soup to measure one can’s worth of milk. I’ve done that before when making condensed soup — you avoid dirtying a measuring cup. 

Oh, brilliant (and duh--on both points!). Jill might want to clarify, though, if she doesn't want her audience to be confused.

PS: Coconut milk is nice and rich, and whips up really nicely too ?

• Love 3

Back in the Stone Age, one of the best gifts I received at my bridal shower was a Betty Crocker cookbook. It not only had clear,easy instructions but hints on what cut of meat was best. I was only 20, but had a working brain that enabled me to comprehend what I was reading.

Now, with websites like Food network, there is no excuse for Jill’s horrible recipes. It wouldn’t take much time on one of these sites to plan a healthy menu for the whole week. 

I wonder If Cathy has suggested any of Derick’s childhood favorites, or did she feed her boys the same crap that Jill makes? 

The sad thing is, I think Jill is really proud of her cooking “skillls”. What’s even worse is that she’s arrogant. Why else would she put these nausea -inducing concoctions out there for everyone to see?

Josh,JD and Joe all look older than their years with their middle aged paunches. Joy and some of the younger girls are overweight. Jill and Jessa have kept on the baby weight. They sit around doing nothing, dont work, don’t exercise, and eat fast food or home recipes that are no better than fast food. The whole bunch needs their cholesterol and BP monitored. They’re going to have serious health problems in the future.

• Love 19
19 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

Does she even like food?  Or does she see it as just fuel for the body?  A friend of mine only eats like Jill does, and doesn’t see cuisine as something special and enjoyable.    Granted, she’s not trying to be the Pioneer Woman online.  But I would imagine that growing up Duggar would have left Jill with a very unrefined palate, so she thinks this is actually good.  Derick though, years in Nepal eating and enjoying their food should have left an impression on him, so I wonder how he eats this bland shit without gagging.  

LOL, well, he IS gagging!  

• Love 6
16 hours ago, graefin said:

Jill claimed in one of her live videos a while back that she doesn't watch the show anymore. I assume the same holds true for doofus.

I find that hard to believe that she doesn't watch it, unless it was a Derick laying down the law kind of thing, "Thou shalt not watch TLC in this house."   

15 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I think it's very possible that she doesn't even know to drain the cans.  It sounds like a lot of these recipes she's posting were love offerings brought by others, and I doubt she's had much experience even seeing someone make them.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

20 flour tortillas

Filling:

5 C. cooked rice

1 C. sour cream

2 t. pepper

2 t. onion powder

Cheese Sauce:

im no culinary expert here but this really just looks like barf in a dish. 

• Love 17
49 minutes ago, bythelake said:

Back in the Stone Age, one of the best gifts I received at my bridal shower was a Betty Crocker cookbook. It not only had clear,easy instructions but hints on what cut of meat was best. I was only 20, but had a working brain that enabled me to comprehend what I was reading.

Now, with websites like Food network, there is no excuse for Jill’s horrible recipes. It wouldn’t take much time on one of these sites to plan a healthy menu for the whole week. 

I agree.  Growing up, I learned NOTHING about food, cooking, or health.  As I've mentioned, possibly worse than the Duggars' eating habits.  The most homemade thing I ever had was heating myself a can of Campbell's soup.  But I grew up, got some cookbooks as wedding gifts, bought myself the Joy of Cooking, and LEARNED how to eat and cook.  I joined a community garden and learned how to grow food.  Unfamiliar ingredients, I look up on Food Network to find out WWABD (What Would Alton Brown Do).  There are so many resources available even if you didn't have an example growing up.  It's bizarre that she doesn't use what's easily available online or in *gasp* books.  

And they may look semi-ok now, but many of the diseases that develop from eating horrific food across a lifetime show up in the long term- diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc.  So I'd bet their future health isn't so great.  

• Love 12

It's Friday, I'm bored, and the boss isn't looking, so I looked up the nutritional information for all the ingredients of that slop.  Here is the nutritional info per serving (1/20 of the total)--though I suspect they would make a couple of pans of the things, as one 8-inch tortilla's worth isn't that much and males in particular would probably eat several (I put the FDA recommended values in parenthesis):

Calories:  381 (2000 calories)

Total Fat:    18 grams (<65 grams)

Saturated Fat:  8 grams (<20 grams)

Cholesterol:    41 mg (<300 mg)

Sodium:    846 mg (<2300 mg)

I didn't do carbohydrates, but needless to say I suspect they're high too.

Edited by Fosca
Screwed up the math!
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, awaken said:

I agree.  Growing up, I learned NOTHING about food, cooking, or health.  As I've mentioned, possibly worse than the Duggars' eating habits.  The most homemade thing I ever had was heating myself a can of Campbell's soup.  But I grew up, got some cookbooks as wedding gifts, bought myself the Joy of Cooking, and LEARNED how to eat and cook.  I joined a community garden and learned how to grow food.  Unfamiliar ingredients, I look up on Food Network to find out WWABD (What Would Alton Brown Do).  There are so many resources available even if you didn't have an example growing up.  It's bizarre that she doesn't use what's easily available online or in *gasp* books.  

And they may look semi-ok now, but many of the diseases that develop from eating horrific food across a lifetime show up in the long term- diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc.  So I'd bet their future health isn't so great.  

My mom had a cookbook from Good Housekeeping; it came in chapters and you got it in the grocery store each week with purchase.  Then, you bought a binder thingy to put it all together.  She used it religiously and gave it to me when I moved out.  I still have it.  I am no cook, but it contains everything; easy recipes, hard recipes and everything in between.  The first couple pages of each chapter contains various cooking basics including the various cuts of meat, what to look for and how to choose one.  How to measure liquids and solids properly.  Ingredients that can be substituted for others in a pinch.  How to sear a piece of meat.  How to use a double boiler.  What does it mean to sauté something.  How long should various cuts of meat cook based on their size and the desired doneness.  I reference it all the time and the thing is more than 60 years old!  Being from the 50's, it does have a fair number of recipes that call for canned soups or vegetables, but it also includes information on the appropriate substitutions of homemade broths or stock or fresh vegetables.

If Jill wasn't so stubborn and ignorant; she could go out and get a decent cookbook from the library or some DVD's on cooking basics or, God forbid, even take an evening adult education class and learn how to cook properly. There is a wellness center in my town that offers regular cooking classes.  This summer, it had 17 offerings; everything from basics of canning, cooking from the garden, barbecue basics, how to make your own pickles (seems made for a Duggar!), one skillet meals, wok cooking, as well as classes on special meals like how to do a summer brunch or how to roast a turkey in anticipation of the holidays.  They offer new and different stuff every season based on the weather and what's trendy.  And every recipe is carefully broken down for nutrition, salt, fat, etc. and they will adapt it for diabetics or gluten-free or any other dietary restriction.  A couple of those sorts of classes and Jill would have a real arsenal of quick and healthy meals for her family.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

I’ve never seen green enchiladas. 

That is all.

These are soggy yellow enchiladas, green enchiladas are made with green chilies and are very delicious.

This actually looks like another monstrosity she has posted.

Screenshot_20180803-112604.thumb.jpg.d905d6a4b4b57c22984297b79152b9de.jpgScreenshot_20180803-112513-456x837.jpg.28305a197734fefdeb971a8518eeec65.jpg

• Love 7

Was Jill one of the girls having trouble with the rice measurement on one of the shows? I guess she never got the hang of it. Who has 5 cups of leftover rice? And, one can of chicken for 20 people? I guess there was no math at the SODRT.

White and brown rice now comes in steamer bags.I love it and use it when I make stuffed peppers. So convenient.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

My mom had a cookbook from Good Housekeeping; it came in chapters and you got it in the grocery store each week with purchase.  Then, you bought a binder thingy to put it all together.  She used it religiously and gave it to me when I moved out.  I still have it.  I am no cook, but it contains everything; easy recipes, hard recipes and everything in between.  The first couple pages of each chapter contains various cooking basics including the various cuts of meat, what to look for and how to choose one.  How to measure liquids and solids properly.  Ingredients that can be substituted for others in a pinch.  How to sear a piece of meat.  How to use a double boiler.  What does it mean to sauté something.  How long should various cuts of meat cook based on their size and the desired doneness.  I reference it all the time and the thing is more than 60 years old!  Being from the 50's, it does have a fair number of recipes that call for canned soups or vegetables, but it also includes information on the appropriate substitutions of homemade broths or stock or fresh vegetables.

If Jill wasn't so stubborn and ignorant; she could go out and get a decent cookbook from the library or some DVD's on cooking basics or, God forbid, even take an evening adult education class and learn how to cook properly. There is a wellness center in my town that offers regular cooking classes.  This summer, it had 17 offerings; everything from basics of canning, cooking from the garden, barbecue basics, how to make your own pickles (seems made for a Duggar!), one skillet meals, wok cooking, as well as classes on special meals like how to do a summer brunch or how to roast a turkey in anticipation of the holidays.  They offer new and different stuff every season based on the weather and what's trendy.  And every recipe is carefully broken down for nutrition, salt, fat, etc. and they will adapt it for diabetics or gluten-free or any other dietary restriction.  A couple of those sorts of classes and Jill would have a real arsenal of quick and healthy meals for her family.

She’d never attend classes or go to the library. Jill is a bad combination of stupidity and arrogance. The way she managed her pregnancies is a good example of her attitude. She knows everything  and the only way she would try a new way of cooking would be if the recipes were in the back of a KJV bible.

• Love 18

Some friends of ours brought us these many years ago when my mom had a new baby and my mom asked for the recipe since they were so delicious! 

Like the attorney that my wallet wishes I was, Let's dissect this statement.

1.  It wasn't "many years ago" when your Mom had a new baby.

I rest my case...

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, Lunera said:

These are soggy yellow enchiladas, green enchiladas are made with green chilies and are very delicious.

This actually looks like another monstrosity she has posted.

Screenshot_20180803-112604.thumb.jpg.d905d6a4b4b57c22984297b79152b9de.jpgScreenshot_20180803-112513-456x837.jpg.28305a197734fefdeb971a8518eeec65.jpg

I hope the Dillard’s keep it this “nutritious” for a long time. Job security for me and everyone else in healthcare ??

• Love 14

For the turkey glop (one tortilla's worth, though again I figure he ate more than that):

Calories:  460 (2000 calories)

Fat:  23 grams (<65 grams)

Saturated Fat:  8 grams (<20 grams)

Cholesterol:  89 mg (<300 mg)

Sodium:  1177 mg (<2300 mg)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, allonsyalice said:

im no culinary expert here but this really just looks like barf in a dish. 

Umm, it's just so . . . yellow. It looks more like a rectangular omelette-thing than enchiladas. Why is everything they do so either so mediocre or a hot mess? There are really only two audiences she can appeal to at this point: the die-hard humpers who are too dumb or too loyal to question anything, or those who on the side of the road with popcorn watching the train wreck. I doubt there's an in-between.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, graefin said:

Umm, it's just so . . . yellow. It looks more like a rectangular omelette-thing than enchiladas. Why is everything they do so either so mediocre or a hot mess? There are really only two audiences she can appeal to at this point: the die-hard humpers who are too dumb or too loyal to question anything, or those who on the side of the road with popcorn watching the train wreck. I doubt there's an in-between.

It looks radioactive, like nuclear waste might look like.  Or like infectious discharge from I-don't-know-what!  All-around nasty.

• Love 8