Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'm dying over Dan Dillard's face in the picture of Jill, Derick & James at the football game. Everyone is smiling and he looks like the devil. LOL. Derick definitely won the gene pool for their family.

• Love 3

Jill looks like she's been really sick with "morning sickness" in the second baby bump picture.  Love the black and white dress.  11 weeks two days, pregnancy time starts on the first day of your last period - definitely before the marriage.

Jill looks like she's been really sick with "morning sickness" in the second baby bump picture.  Love the black and white dress.  11 weeks two days, pregnancy time starts on the first day of your last period - definitely before the marriage.

Jeesh really? Uh Oh...

The first two weeks don't "count" though. 

I've always found it odd to count weeks of pregnancy in a way that includes the time before conception.

Good to see Jill doing something "normal" like go to a college football game. Hope it means Baby Dillard will get to have a university education someday if he/she wants one.

• Love 1

I've always found it odd to count weeks of pregnancy in a way that includes the time before conception.

Good to see Jill doing something "normal" like go to a college football game. Hope it means Baby Dillard will get to have a university education someday if he/she wants one.

No joke - anyone that is a Mascot for a University, you would think he would value the educational system...We can hope!

• Love 3

Nursing students have to take Anatomy and Physiology, right? I heard an NPR article recently saying that only about 50% of students who start an A&P class pass it the first time. But I'd assume that's one of the more difficult classes.

As for the discussion about having babies derailing their plans to serve overseas, it doesn't necessarily have to. Yes it's harder to move overseas for missions service with children, but it's certainly not impossible. Most missionaries I have known have brought their kids with them to the field or even gave birth to them on the field (as I did with 2 of mine). We moved to our first assignment overseas when our first child was 1 year old. Of course, there would be certain places or assignments that wouldn't be conducive or advisable to take children into, but most of the time these days missionaries have decent living conditions. Maybe not up to American standards, but sometimes not that much lower.

In fact, for me things were much easier as a mom on the mission field because in the country we were in (Kenya) it was expected for missionaries and other Western ex-pats to hire local women to help do the housework, cooking and childcare. It was a way of giving a person a job who really needed it, and it freed me up to concentrate on my work instead of cleaning my house. The lady we hired also watched my young children while I was in class or in the office (we lived on the university campus so I could pop home during the day to see them). And the salary we paid her was pittance by American standards, even though it was quite generous by Kenyan standards. It was enough to enable the lady to send her own daughter to a nicer school than she would normally have been able to afford.

It was actually so wonderful that talking about it now makes me wonder why I ever left! Especially when I look around at the messy state of my house right now! :-) So, all that to say, having kids doesn't necessarily mean you can't pick up and go on international missions assignments. However, I don't know how they would feel about someone else helping raise their kids instead of the mom doing it all. Oh . . . . wait. That's exactly what Jill is used to I guess, huh?

I had to take 2 anatomy's... And I don't see how you could be one (nurse) without it. I actually saw in a rerun this week a scene where she was learning anatomy in Spanish, so I would have to assume she has taken it in some capacity... Because it's hard enough in English, there's no way I could learn it in my non-native language.

Looks like Derick and Jill took in the Arkansas college football game with his brother and one of the younger Duggar boys -- can't tell which one. It's good that they're out on weekends doing their own thing. It would be better if they could do that alone or with his family without ALWAYS having to involve one of the Duggar siblings.

or maybe they are showing the Lost Boys what college can be like. Fun and not evil.
  • Love 3

I thought watching her do the painting with her youngest sisters in the "Duggars and Mothers" episode was quite lovely. She really has a good way with young children. Very few people really do.

You're so right. I'm great with little kids but only for about 20 minutes at a time... it's not easy, and I really admire people who can enjoy 'hanging out' with them. I loved watching her painting with the kids.

• Love 1

or maybe they are showing the Lost Boys what college can be like. Fun and not evil.

Let's hope. From Josiah on down, none of the middle boys strike me as the manual labor kind of guys the older ones do. Josh obviously isn't the same kind of guy John David or Joseph are. JD and Joe might be into towing services and doing whatever they do all day, and I could see Ben working right alongside with them, but I'm not picturing Josiah going out on tow calls. The boys younger than him seem even less likely to want a tow service or a car lot. Maybe JB will reopen Duggar Reality for some of them, but sooner or later, one of these boys is going to want to do something that requires a degree. 

Let's hope. From Josiah on down, none of the middle boys strike me as the manual labor kind of guys the older ones do. Josh obviously isn't the same kind of guy John David or Joseph are. JD and Joe might be into towing services and doing whatever they do all day, and I could see Ben working right alongside with them, but I'm not picturing Josiah going out on tow calls. The boys younger than him seem even less likely to want a tow service or a car lot. Maybe JB will reopen Duggar Reality for some of them, but sooner or later, one of these boys is going to want to do something that requires a degree. 

I agree. Josiah, Justin and Jed strike me as creative artistic types and Jer seems thoughtful and smart. I can't see any of them being happy with the sorts of jobs common in their circles. 

I think Jill would have been great as a nurse or teacher. I'm horrible with kids so I truly admire what seems to be a natural gift for her.

• Love 3

Let's face, just has Jill has lovely qualities, she is lacking in others. Most pointedly in the ability to think for herself. She has always been a parrot. In no episode was this so obvious as when they were in Nepal and Jim Bob was asking her what she thought of Derrick, and her only reply was, "What do you think?"

There are several explanations for this, but some people who are fully educated in public schools and socialized in every way never learn to think for themselves either. It's not a crime, but it makes a responsibility on those around her to make sure they treat her kindly and thoughtfully. Fortunately, she seems to have found that in Derrick and his family.

• Love 6

Looks like Derick and Jill took in the Arkansas college football game with his brother and one of the younger Duggar boys -- can't tell which one. It's good that they're out on weekends doing their own thing. It would be better if they could do that alone or with his family without ALWAYS having to involve one of the Duggar siblings.

I saw some pictures on another website, and it looks like other family members were at the game. I would not be surprise if this was filmed for the show.

I hope Derick can let her know that it's OK to have her own opinions and express them.  It would be so tiresome to get that "What do you think?" response when you ask her a question. I assume it's because she's always been afraid of saying or thinking the "wrong" thing. 

• Love 7

My grumpy thoughts:

Why do the Duggar boys & JB wear Arkansas Razorbacks shirts & gear & attend games with Derick & Jill, but the Duggar kids cannot watch the games on tv or attend the college?

I'm so disappointed in both Jill & Derick. Last night they had the proposal episode in. From the braces retainer she was wearing, to her "totally!" & "awesome!", to her school girl crush on Derick, she just seems SO immature to me. And Derick, you both had to get JB's & M's opinion if they thought it was a good idea for you to hold hands once you were engaged? Really, that wasn't a decision you could make yourselves?? I could see if he had been raised in this fundie environment, but this is a person that is college educated & lived in Nepal.

And then the quickie wedding. I was holding out hope he would whisk her out of the country, but no, he played into JB's control issues & took the house. She made some lame- ass excuse for postponing her midwife studies (having to adjust to marriage; having to take care of his mom), when you know she wasn't doing anything except driving him to work & cooking lunch & dinner).

I will eat my hat if she ever returns to her studies. Because the next excuse will be that she's too busy with the baby.

I don't fault her for wanting to be a SAHM. I'm one. But I also worked outside the home from age 15 on, had my own apartment, got my degree & was married for years before my kids came along.

At the very least, I was hoping they would hold off for a year to get pg. the first year of marriage really is a time of adjustment. Coming from her background, even more so.

• Love 3

And another thing that made me see red: when Jill gave the semi- full frontal hug at the airport & M had to comment "I guess she got caught up in the moment. THAT won't be happening again!" To her "I see some hand holding!" before they announced their engagement. Listen, they are going to be having sex in a few months. Talk about going from 0 to 60.

And knees & collarbones can never be seen. But Anna can show her hoo-ha to the camera crew as she's having her water birth!

JimBob, Josh, Anna, three kids, Ben, Jessa, and younger brothers also went to the football game.

But that's my point. They WEAR U of A gear & go to some games, but the kids will never be allowed to go there.

• Love 4

I would not be surprise if this will be a filmed television moment to prove the family go to games where heathens are allowed to run loose, and Jill is doing things with Derick besides staying at home and getting pregnant. I bet Derick's brother was not happy the Duggars were at the game with him.

You can still have a baby and go to school. My sister and brother-in-law have a 14 month old yet she's in nursing school and he works full time. Being so close to her family, they wouldn't even need to send baby Dill to day care with other heathen children. if being a midwife is something Jill really wants to do she can, despite what her family has brainwashed her into believing.

• Love 3

Rogers & Tontitown aren't that close. I would estimate it's at least a 30 min drive each way, & that's being conservative.

I drive Bentonville to Springdale once a week for my DS's speech & occupational therapies, & it's a PITA. Lots of traffic jams & there is a lot of construction going on for the next few years.

Jill was studying Anatomy through College Minus.

College Minus is NOT a school. You only get materials to study for subjects to CLEP your way out of some lower division college courses. However, the sciences are not courses that can be CLEPped out of; the lab component would still need to be completed if you were going to pursue a degree in the sciences at some point. For instance, a friend of mine went to Cornell, took all of her science reqs, but skipped the labs. Later on, she realized she wanted to become a veternarian. In order to get into Vet school, she had to return to a community college and totally retake second semester Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Microbiology, and BioChem to get the lab components (unlike 4 year schools, you the labs are built in to the CC courses).

So IF Jill CLEPed her way out of A&P (highly unlikely that it's even offered), she is still missing the lab component.

• Love 2

My grumpy thoughts:

Why do the Duggar boys & JB wear Arkansas Razorbacks shirts & gear & attend games with Derick & Jill, but the Duggar kids cannot watch the games on tv or attend the college?

I'm so disappointed in both Jill & Derick. Last night they had the proposal episode in. From the braces retainer she was wearing, to her "totally!" & "awesome!", to her school girl crush on Derick, she just seems SO immature to me. And Derick, you both had to get JB's & M's opinion if they thought it was a good idea for you to hold hands once you were engaged? Really, that wasn't a decision you could make yourselves?? I could see if he had been raised in this fundie environment, but this is a person that is college educated & lived in Nepal.

And then the quickie wedding. I was holding out hope he would whisk her out of the country, but no, he played into JB's control issues & took the house. She made some lame- ass excuse for postponing her midwife studies (having to adjust to marriage; having to take care of his mom), when you know she wasn't doing anything except driving him to work & cooking lunch & dinner).

I will eat my hat if she ever returns to her studies. Because the next excuse will be that she's too busy with the baby.

I don't fault her for wanting to be a SAHM. I'm one. But I also worked outside the home from age 15 on, had my own apartment, got my degree & was married for years before my kids came along.

At the very least, I was hoping they would hold off for a year to get pg. the first year of marriage really is a time of adjustment. Coming from her background, even more so.

I so agree! I just cannot get past how silly and schoolgirl-ish Jill is. I have no idea what she and Derick talk about, other than their meals and babies.

• Love 1

The first two weeks don't "count" though.

So are you saying that when she counts her pregnancy as being at 11 weeks, she's actually only at the point that most people would call 9 weeks?  That she IS counting those first two weeks (give or take) that doctors don't usually count?  Which means in her mind she'd be pregnant for 42 weeks instead of 40?  I could see this being consistent with their "life begins at conception" philosophy.

Due dates are based on the last menstrual period, not the conception date.  That is standard practice in the medical field (meaning that of a 40 week pregnancy, a woman is technically only pregnant for 38 weeks). These estimates are based on a 28-day cycle.

Edited by starfire
  • Love 6

Due dates are based on the last menstrual period, not the conception date. That is standard practice in the medical field (meaning that of a 40 week pregnancy, a woman is technically only pregnant for 38 weeks). These estimates are based on a 28-day cycle.

Said perfectly! The Duggars do a lot of things "a little differently", but they are counting the weeks of this pregnancy in the standard medical way. It appears that they conceived just a few days after the honeymoon. And I'll just stop now because I feel kind of weird thinking about this too hard.

• Love 5

Just wanted to add that I had twins. I didn't have morning sickness & I didn't show until the first trimester was over. I put on 60 lbs with the pg (!) but most of the weight came on at the end.

I think every pg is different. It's a bit early to be speculating if it's twins.

• Love 1

You know what would be great for Dill? Turn the new "McMansion House" into party central - call it La Casa Locoand throw a rave!

Have "I am in Miami Trick" blasting on their new found stereo system (bought with contraband wedding money) and invite J'Chelle and Boob over for jello shooters, and all the J'slaves would be wearing polka dot bikinis girl...

Best payback ever!

Got to have a dream...

If Jill is at 11 weeks, she almost certainly knows if she's having twins following a dating ultrasound at around six weeks or so. Unless she's just keeping that secret to announce right after Jessa and Ben say I Do so the PEOPLE MAGAZINE cover can announce in big letters "It's twins for Jill!" And have a little blub at the bottom saying, "Oh yeah, and Jessa Duggar got married, too." ;)

• Love 5

I can't remember where I saw this but I'm pretty sure Jill gave an interview where she basically said she would be happy with either a boy or a girl and then added "or twins" like it was an afterthought...or was it an un/intentional slip? It's possible that she and Derick are indeed saving the twin news for a future announcement. I'm not even going to snark if they do - I guess if a couple has to steal the spotlight in that Duggar family, I'd much rather it be Jill and Derick over the other 3 engaged/married couples. My hope is that they'll cash in all that People money and buy off Jim Bob as their landlord or use the money to go off on a long-term missionary somewhere far away from Arkansas. 

Just wanted to add that I had twins. I didn't have morning sickness & I didn't show until the first trimester was over. I put on 60 lbs with the pg (!) but most of the weight came on at the end.

I think every pg is different. It's a bit early to be speculating if it's twins.

Seems like it's so different for every woman. I had a friend who was sick as a dog night and day for about the first 4-5 months, not twins, and she was barely showing so it was even worse for her that she was sick all the time because it wasn't obvious she was pregnant.  Another friend started wearing maternity clothes pretty much the day the 'stick' came back positive. She wasn't really showing for a few months, but it seemed like she was because of how she dressed. I assume Jill's probably dressing to maximize the "bump" look.

My sister starting showing early and everyone on base in Japan were taking bets she was having twins or more. It was only one very big boy. She also had really bad morning sickness and was very sensitive to smells. Her husband would put Clearasil on at night and she had to leave to throw up. She was also very petite like Jill, so as everyone said every pregnancy is different. A coworker at work was also very petite and didn't show until the eighth month. That's when she started to wear maternity clothes. When we asked when the baby was due, she answered, "next month!" We were floored. We joked she was carrying it in her handbag for the previous months.

I think the twin quote isn't anything to get excited about. It's just like saying, "Or one of each at once!"

Watch out Jill and Derick. William and Kate announced she is pregnant. The royals will take away your thunder aka pregnancy news and watch from now on. How will TLC and Jim Bob make sure your blessing with take top billing. *lol*

They would definitely know by now if she is having twins, IF they have gone to the doctor and got the usual 9 week/10 week ultrasound.  I had a bump by the 10th week, just one baby, so she could be showing no problem.

Well, the pandering for freebies has begun...more than SIX MONTHS before Baby Dilly is due to make its first appearance. And don't ya know, every newborn needs some Dr. Pepper or a gift card to the Olive Garden. But you know some idiot leghhumper will buy these things.

https://www.walmart.com/giftregistry/gr_detail.do?registryId=86182564264

Hmmm, are we sure it is really their registry? There are safety products on it, outlet covers, cabinet locks, a baby gate. If it is, at least that's something they came up with on their own. I've never seen any safety equipment in the Duggar house. But soda? Oh my my.

Damn, do these people plan on buying ANYTHING for this child? Or are fans/friends/family supposed to foot the entire bill?

These people are so unbelievably tacky, it's getting out of control.

I guess they figure people won't be so generous when it comes to the 14th child, so they better maximize the freebies now. Too bad her parents don't have anything they could pass on to first time parents. This is so grasping it's grotesque. Gothard had nothing to say about materialism and greed (for his flock, of course)?

Hmmm, are we sure it is really their registry? There are safety products on it, outlet covers, cabinet locks, a baby gate. If it is, at least that's something they came up with on their own. I've never seen any safety equipment in the Duggar house. But soda? Oh my my.

Yes, it's theirs. Derick posted a pic of him and Jill at WalMart with the scanner in hand, noting that they were setting up this registry earlier today. I also imagine the thing will bloat again once the gender is known in a couple months. UNLESS they're keeping that under wraps for the Show. Just what we need: Gender reveal #37646 on this show. /sarcasm

Edited by Sew Sumi

And I think what makes their greediness even worse is that Derick has spent the last 2 years in Nepal, and he's travelled, and presumably saw that there are a lot of people in the world getting by with not much.  I could maybe, MAYBE understand their greediness if they both had only ever lived in upper middle-class areas where nobody is ever lacking in 'stuff', and they simply could not comprehend poverty.  But he was an effing MISSIONARY!  He would have seen poverty! 

But now he's back in the West he's entitled to ask STRANGERS on the INTERNET to buy 'stuff' for his kid.

• Love 5

I would have so much respect for them if their public registry was for donations to a mission or even to their church in honor of their baby. They could have a reasonable, private registry for their close friends/family and still get more than what they need. The Duggars claim they live to serve the Lord, but in reality they are greedy people and want as much as they can get for themselves. I thought there might be hope for Jill but the other day I watched a interview with her, Jana, Jessa, and Jinger. The way Jill kept bringing up their book in the interview reminded me of other interviews I have seen where "author" is doing whatever he or she can to get in any mention of the book, the title of the book, etc., in the interview as many time as possible. To the point where it's super-annoying because they keep bringing it up over and over. After that interview, I thought she was less sweet and innocent, and more shrewd and calculating.

Sadly, probably the majority of the "fans" who will be buying the 2-liters of pop (!!) and other items from their registry are of a much lower income bracket than the Duggars.

• Love 3

Sorry folks, but I never heard of a baby registry...a wedding registry, yes. I don't think Anna had a registry or we would have known about it. Yes, I agree that if this couple conceived asap as they did, it's their responsibility to provide for the child with a baby shower given by the family and friends of the couple, right? When I was expecting my older son, it was ME who went to the store and purchased everything I thought I would need from a crib to baby wipes and Q-tips. No one gave me a baby shower and we certainly weren't in the Dillard/Duggar income bracket. I also was working full time then. Why doesn't Jill go to WalMart, with the employee discount and her MOTHER and buy what she needs. Gifts from others are extra...BTW, I also bought what baby clothes I thought I would need. We received a few gifts from the office, friends and family when we christened the baby, which were very appreciated.

Why does a baby need soda pop? I'll never understand these people and their quest for "more". What happened to buy used and save the difference? They seem to believe that they are entitled..such a change from that first TV special. I am disappointed in Jill, Derick, and HER family. I hope they don't get anything on that list from anyone but family and personal friends. Fans don't need to send them anything as they out earn most of their viewers by a mile.

I am quite sure that Michelle has an arsenal of baby items she can give Jill....why hang on to a lost cause, Michelle?

• Love 5

If Jill's wedding cake looked like it was leaning over  that's because it was. I can imagine what her multitude of guests felt like when they heard her say on camera that she and the family can partake of the actual tiered wedding cake, and well, "everyone else" can have a piece from the sheet cakes.! No mention if it was the same flavor or if it even had a filling! I would have been insulted and made to feel, why did I even bother to attend, and give an expensive "registry gift"? They are finally appearing to be the jerks they always have been.

• Love 3

I'm going to sound mean again but I never understood the Jill love. She is one of the more self righteous children. She's the one who toes the party line the most. She talks over her siblings the most, especially the girls. I just don't get why people think she's so great.

• Love 6

Everyone that I know registers for baby stuff (for the first baby, at least) and the registry info is usually on baby shower invitations. Many people I know use it as a to-do list of everything they need for the baby, and most places give you a discount for you to buy things that aren't gifted, which is why they include expensive things like cribs and strollers. Lots of people I know register for things they don't expect to be gifted, but want to get the discount so they can buy it themselves.

If they have Dr. Pepper and sodas, though, I have no excuse for that. That's ridiculous.

• Love 8