Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

And this is totally snarky and I should be ashamed.  I'll visit the PC soon and work on that.  But I'm going to admit that (even though I completely understand that there must be fully competent dentists and even orthodontists in El Salvador) every time I think of D going to have his braces adjusted, I get a hilarious mental image of the ortho outside cleaning his chicken coop, his wife hollering out that his patient is here.  He comes in to see Derick and wipes his hands on his pants...

It's still hard to believe finding an orthodontist in El Salvador is an easy process.  Seems like when most of the country is generally poverty stricken and can't afford to feed their families without a struggle, orthodontia wouldn't even be on the radar.  (Saying that because I'm still betting the orthodontist has chickens...)

Gonna agree with SometimesBites - I have lots of family in El Salvador and while you're correct in saying that there's a lot of poverty in the country (due particularly to a significant income disparity, meaning that yes there is a lot of abject poverty, but there are also middle and rich income classes as well), it's a narrow view to take that there aren't any (or sufficient amounts of ) orthodontists and that everyone in the country can't afford orthodontia or to feed their families. Assuming that the orthodontist has chickens and doesn't know basic hygiene is just offensive. 

Sorry, I might be overly sensitive. But a lifetime of having only certain things portrayed of my homeland and the images that people like the Duggars promote with their "ministry" just make my blood boil. It can be a very othering and condescending experience. Thank God we have the Duggars to help us [the Salvadorans] though! /sarcasm

Edited by mapleleaf
  • Love 16

Unless something really is more expensive than I am willing to accept, I just cannot haggle when the money is essentially trivial for me. 

The more so when whatever it is you're haggling over is a luxury good you don't actually need. And I'm all the more horrified to discover that while this particular family of heavily-subsidized millionaires is arguing food out of the mouths of third-world children they're doing it with armed men standing behind them.

• Love 11

Haggling in a place where the pennies you save are a significant part of that person's income while you're on a subsidized trip you're being paid to take 'to spread the word of God' shows respect for no-one, JMO. Certainly not God.

Couldn't agree more, Julia. I'm not a missionary, but a few years back I travelled to Mexico with my best friend. The end of our day found us in an impoverished, archetypal tourist trap where local women sold brightly colored landscapes painted on black velvet. Yes, just like Elvis, but mountain scenes instead. I bought three of the paintings, which I think were @ $5 each. I did not haggle; in fact, I used my limited Spanish to praise the women's work.

My friend, who has plenty of money but has been a lifelong cheapskate, was astounded; "What are you going to do with that trash?" she asked. When I told her I planned to discreetly dispose of the paintings back at our hotel (they were beautifully done, but unwieldy to pack and, moreover, not my style),  she mumbled I'd wasted my money. God love her, she just didn't get that $15 dollars was a lunch to me - but probably critical to women who likely made and sold these pictures in order to feed their kids. 

I would never dream of haggling to save a few bucks in impoverished countries. Based on the smiles I got when I walked off with their paintings, I didn't insult these sweet women in any way. And if they had a laugh about the "naive gringa," who paid full price, that was OK with me. But I guess that's just one of the thousands of difference-os between me and Boob-o.

Edited by HundFan
  • Love 19

When I was in Asia, it was commonplace to haggle with the vendors.  We were told to divide the initial price, argue for that and then settle for between the first price and your price.  Most of our group was of the opinion that it would have been rude to have these first-word teenagers (it was a school mission trip) descend into these third-world markets and demand the lowest price possible which is why we gave in after a few minutes. I am 100% sure that we paid more for everything than someone who spoke the language because of it!  All up, I probably could have easily saved $50 by haggling more but that money is a couple of hours of work for me but in Cambodia, is close to half the monthly wage.  Haggling was fun but we were told to be aware that we were essentially bargaining over the person's income and to remember our privilege.  

Boob clearly doesn't have the same mindset and I can't see the Dillards giving up a few dollars here and there.  The video shows me that they don't have much respect for the locals and I could certainly see them arguing for a couple of dollars.  I hope that the locals overcharge them, it isn't like they can't afford it.  They would have made so much money off their engagement, wedding, pregnancy and Izz's birth.  That isn't even including being on the show, wedding gifts and Derrick's income. 

Edited by ChocolateAddict
  • Love 8

When I was in Asia, it was commonplace to haggle with the vendors.  We were told to divide the initial price, argue for that and then settle for between the first price and your price.  Most of our group was of the opinion that it would have been rude to have these first-word teenagers (it was a school mission trip) descend into these third-world markets and demand the lowest price possible which is why we gave in after a few minutes. I am 100% sure that we paid more for everything than someone who spoke the language because of it!  All up, I probably could have easily saved $50 by haggling more but that money is a couple of hours of work for me but in Cambodia, is close to half the monthly wage.  Haggling was fun but we were told to be aware that we were essentially bargaining over the person's income and to remember our privilege.  

Boob clearly doesn't have the same mindset and I can't see the Dillards giving up a few dollars here and there.  The video shows me that they don't have much respect for the locals and I could certainly see them arguing for a couple of dollars.  I hope that the locals overcharge them, it isn't like they can't afford it.  They would have made so much money off their engagement, wedding, pregnancy and Izz's birth.  That isn't even including being on the show, wedding gifts and Derrick's income. 

You didn't pay full price. You probably paid, double, triple, quadruple of quintuple price (or more!). I don't know Mexico but I know my country so that's what you'd be paying lol. Don't feel bad to haggle - you'll end up paying more than locals anyways. 

• Love 4

Jill and Derick were spotted in NYC earlier today with Jessa and Ben. Looks like they filmed their parts in the abuse special. 

Surprised that they'd let them leave the country so soon, but then they were already planning on coming back after Language School, however long that lasted. So no, not your mother's mission trip with the ability to pretty much come and go as they please. I imagine they'll stay through the weekend to crash...errrr....attend the Bates wedding as well. That didn't take long...

• Love 3

You didn't pay full price. You probably paid, double, triple, quadruple of quintuple price (or more!). I don't know Mexico but I know my country so that's what you'd be paying lol. Don't feel bad to haggle - you'll end up paying more than locals anyways. 

For sure.  But considering that I was mostly paying around $2-10 AUS for what I bought (and mostly it was the lower end of the scale), I didn't really care.  I think that the most I paid for something was maybe $12.  I bought some fake Gucci sunnies for $3 AUS- the stall holder was trying to convince me that they were real, lol.  If they were real, I wouldn't be buying them in a Cambodian market for a couple of bucks.  They were probably worth less than a dollar but it really didn't bother me either way.  Surprisingly enough, those sunnies are survivors, I'm still using them a couple of years later!

• Love 3

Jill and Derick were spotted in NYC earlier today with Jessa and Ben. Looks like they filmed their parts in the abuse special. 

Surprised that they'd let them leave the country so soon, but then they were already planning on coming back after Language School, however long that lasted. So no, not your mother's mission trip with the ability to pretty much come and go as they please. I imagine they'll stay through the weekend to crash...errrr....attend the Bates wedding as well. That didn't take long...

That's some real dedication to Christ's Mission For The Dillards.

• Love 12

I know, right? They didn't even make it six weeks before coming back. Granted, it seems to be for the filming of the documentary, but I'm sure that we'll see pics of the Dillards partying with the Bateses (to the extent that they "party") emerge in the next few weeks as pictures from Michael's wedding start trickling out. 

• Love 2

Are the documentary people paying all the travel expenses? That has to be several thousand dollars worth of plane tickets. I don't think Jesus would approve the Dullards using their mission funds for personal business.

• Love 6

Are the documentary people paying all the travel expenses? That has to be several thousand dollars worth of plane tickets. I don't think Jesus would approve the Dullards using their mission funds for personal business.

Practically any appeal the documentary will have will come from the celebrity factor. I'm sure the Duggars themselves wouldn't pay to visit New York, what with its roving bands of homosexuals. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

Practically any appeal the documentary will have will come from the celebrity factor. I'm sure the Duggars themselves wouldn't pay to visit New York, what with its roving bands of homosexuals.

Well, I will not be watching. One, because I stopped watching TLC for good and I will not watch anything with any Duggar involvement.  

• Love 3

6 weeks? Their "long term" mission was SIX weeks?

What's the plan now? Will Izzy get a job? Because neither Derrick or Jill have one...

Hey now they did get on a plane to NY the minute $$$$$$ was dangled in front of them so that is a job right? Yeah, I don't think they will go longer than 3 months on their mission trip. 

• Love 1

Maple leaf, please accept my apologies for being insensitive.

It's rare to find an internet community where people appologize instead of continuing the argument. I really appreciate your apology, HappyFatChick

• Love 15

Posted the link in the media thread but it's been confirmed that Jill and Jessa were in NY for the documentary special. Per the press release, it doesn't sound like they'd be doing much talking themselves (good) but instead will be shown attending a training session. 

Where do you think "toliet scrubber" Ben and Jessa got the money for THEIR plane tickets? They're in NY for a "work" opportunity (*cough cough*) so I have no doubt that TLC covered most of the travel expenses. 

To be honest, I don't understand the fuss about Derick and Jill being in NY. This has nothing to do with my personal feelings about their mission work because I think what they're doing over there (so far) is whack. I didn't realize that meant they weren't allowed to leave Central America AT ALL though? Taking some time off to go do whatever doesn't seem like such a big deal, IMO. I assumed it's pretty common practice among most missionaries. Whether they have a few days off in El Salvador or in New York City, it's all the same for me. I don't think this means that Derick and Jill were lying about how long they were staying or that they aren't going back to their mission after the weekend is over. 

• Love 6

Why do you think he's a slavedriver? Has there even been a hint of this in his behavior?

He married a woman who was bred to be a wife --- not a partner ---but a servant-hearted wife.  She practically chews his food and baby-birds in into his mouth.  He purposefully sought out a wife who has no where near in equal.

• Love 6

I have to say that Iz is an adorable baby - actually I want to call him a toddler because he is so developed and huge for his age! OMG!

I was afraid he would look too much like Boob to be cute- but thankfully (IMO) his does not.  He is adorable and looks really happy.  After all, he has a few weeks away from crazy pretend grandma and grandboob.  He's probably ready to get back on the road, away from the craziness and back to the AR-15 guarded compounds.  I would rather be there than the Duggar compound too Iz!

• Love 5

He married a woman who was bred to be a wife --- not a partner ---but a servant-hearted wife. She practically chews his food and baby-birds in into his mouth. He purposefully sought out a wife who has no where near in equal.

He comes across as calm, sedate and undemanding to me. I do think the death of his father made Derick purpose to find a wife ASAP, but I do think he cares for her. Jill's upbringing may make it possible for Derick to walk all over her, but I don't see any evidence she's put upon at all. He has the means and the opportunity, he simply doesn't appear to have the motive to do so.
  • Love 8

During the show, when they did the talking heads, Jill pretty much ran over Derick. I agree the Duggar girls were brought up to stay at home and produce children and not aspire to reach higher, but I don't believe any of them (except Jana maybe) will be total door mats to their husbands. Jill is a fairly confident woman, I see her as sweet but not meek.

• Love 2

Once again Erin looks clean, stylish and polished. Jill not so much or even close. She looks like she dragged out the ugliest clothes she owned to go to the rehearsal dinner. SMH take lessons from Erin, Jill. 

• Love 7

Once again Erin looks clean, stylish and polished. Jill not so much or even close. She looks like she dragged out the ugliest clothes she owned to go to the rehearsal dinner. SMH take lessons from Erin, Jill. 

Jill's life has changed dramatically over the last two years.  If she's become aware that her personal style isn't flattering, and if she cares, I don't know how she could fit in fashion lessons right now. 

Learning to be a new bride, mother, keeping house, and all that entails, along with the 'mission work, is going to be taxing.  And how much time does it take to breast feed a giant like Issac?  Makes my breasts hurt just to look at him, although Jill's obviously up to the task.

• Love 1

How long it takes to feed Izzy is more a function of how efficient he is rather than his size.  There are "sharks" in infants who feed in a very few minutes.  Then there are lazy ones who take over half an hour.  Who knows where Izzy falls on the scale.  :) 

• Love 2

From Derick's Instagram, an actual boob joke: "I think Israel wants some chocolate milk! Havin' fun at the Hershey's store in Times Square. #gotmilk"

15i6tjs.jpg

Jill's Instagram

23w19if.jpg Is he too big for a plane bassinet? Did they just not care?

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

Is he too big for a plane bassinet? Did they just not care?

Children under 2 fly free, if they are carried in the lap of an adult. There are carseats that are FAA approved for airplanes (must use a window seat), but that requires buying a full fare ticket.

• Love 3

How long it takes to feed Izzy is more a function of how efficient he is rather than his size.  There are "sharks" in infants who feed in a very few minutes.  Then there are lazy ones who take over half an hour.  Who knows where Izzy falls on the scale.  :) 

I'm not sure if you can go by that alone.  I struggled to breastfeed, but that's because I felt uncomfortable with it and had no training, but was being pressured by my husband to do it so we didn't have to buy formula.  It took forever!  There are other times when the mother isn't producing enough milk due to medical reasons.  But Jill seems to be in good health, and Izzy is obviously growing well, so it seems to be working out for them.

I guess Michelle has done something right.  Her first daughter to give birth has no problems breastfeeding him.  I still marvel at how many calories Jill must have to take in to feed a baby that's growing as large and as fast as Izzy is.

Children under 2 fly free, if they are carried in the lap of an adult. There are carseats that are FAA approved for airplanes (must use a window seat), but that requires buying a full fare ticket.

I thought babies got a clip on tray thing atleast. Edited by Kokapetl

Of course, breastfeeding can be complicated by many factors.  There are "lazy" babies who are very difficult to feed along with many other issues.  My point is length of time of feeding isn't really related to size of baby.  Some of the smallest babies take the most time to feed.

Jill and Izzy do seem to have all the details worked out and he looks to be thriving.  Jill and Derick seem much happier and more relaxed since leaving Arkansas.  If that's what they need to be happy then I hope they find a way to keep the needed distance from Jill's parents.

Many, if not most flights, within the US aren't equipped with the bassinets.  There are only a few seats with bassinets for those that have them.  As said above to use a carseat, it has to be an approved one that is placed in the window seat and the baby has to have a ticket.  Lap babies under 2 fly free. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 5

Hmm. I bet TLC would've paid for a third ticket if Jill or Derick thought to ask. Reminds me of sick Michael sleeping on that dirty New York hotel room floor, the Today show could reasonably be expected to pay for all its guests to have a bed. These people have a tendency to slum it when they don't have to.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

I think Jill looks fine. It's sort of a boho thing she has going on. She is light with the makeup and it looks good on her. Regardless of what I think of their grifting, the entire family looks happy and healthy.

• Love 9

From Derick's Instagram, the view from his NY hotel window.

28a5fef.jpg

Did we have any remaining doubts they were in town on TLC business? There is no way that a missionary married to a Duggar paid for that room.

• Love 6

I'd have a hard time enjoying the trip knowing it was all because my spouse was molested. But then, I'm not a Duggillard. Be sure to hit up the met and cram some culture into Jill before you leave, Derick!

• Love 4

I'm thinking Jill and Derick will stay home til Famy's wedding then head out again for another month than call it a day.

They'll probably be filming the spin-off by then.

They'll also spend the weekends doing guest spots at churches for the big bucks; they've seen the "mission field" up close and personal...

• Love 1

I haven't particularly agreed with all the "Iz is so cute" posts but that chocolate milk one won me over.

I agree. He's very unremarkable when he's not smiling, but that pic is a winner. There is also one on the Duggar Facebook page where he is wearing something striped and is very smiley and cute. They should try to only release smiling pics of him, really.

No, it's an approved carseat in a separate seat or an adult's lap.

At that age, they're often easier to hold too, especially if you want to nurse during take off and landing to help with ear pressure. We flew with a six month old (and a two year old) to my grandma's funeral, and having the baby in a carrier with me was so easy. I gave him a pacifier, and he fell sound asleep while we were taxing to the runway. They probably gate checked a stroller to make it easier to get through the airport.

I can snark on a lot about Jill, but besides one baby wearing disaster, she seems to be a really good mom. Hopefully, she'll just enjoy Izzy for awhile and not worry about blessing #2.

• Love 3

Hopefully, she'll just enjoy Izzy for awhile and not worry about blessing #2.

She'll interrupt Michael's reception to announce #2. Seriously, she'll tell her family she's expecting on this trip. It's been too long already. Jim Bob will accuse Derick of using condoms.

• Love 4

Posted the link in the media thread but it's been confirmed that Jill and Jessa were in NY for the documentary special. Per the press release, it doesn't sound like they'd be doing much talking themselves (good) but instead will be shown attending a training session.

Given how much they've downplayed the abuse, I hope they aren't doing much talking. 

• Love 1

Michelle had about 6 kids (including the boy twins) in back to back pregnancies that were about 13 months apart. Izzy's 4 months. So yeah, it's about time for her to get knocked up again. She's already proven her fecundity once. I HOPE she doesn't get knocked up so soon that Izzy has to go on formula (inheriting Mechelle's bad milk once she gets pregnant), but ugh, she's Michelle Duggar's daughter. She may or may not be the one who takes after her mother. I hope none of the girls do, but odds are, one of them is going to have 12-15 kids. I don't wish that even on Jill, but you know an announcement is coming in the next couple of months. 

*sigh*

• Love 2