Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

KateUK I would hope this was the case, but I don't think it is since on their last episode of the season they showed a clip of JB responding to news of Derick and Jill going away.  That was filmed, almost certainly, before the news of the molestation could have been known by anyone.  It appeared they had most of the season in the can already from the previews shown.  If you are in the UK, you may not have seen that episode yet.  I know we are deprived of UK episodes for weeks and months after you have seen them.  Most people don't like spoilers, but I think mystery is totally overrated so often go to the UK threads of episodes we haven't seen yet so I know what to expect.  I enjoy it more that way.  Like reading a book and then seeing the movie.

• Love 3

Gin and tonnix (sp) it's the disrespect and discourtesy that's the problem.  You wouldn't, I hope, come up and wipe your gunky hands on me, so why would you do so to my dog or cat, causing me to clean them up afterwards.  It's total rudeness, childishness, and nastiness to do something the offending jerk seems to consider funny.  It's not funny.  They've disrespected the animal and the human, causing the human to then clean the animal.  Like wiping snot on your kid.  Not your kid personally, but any kid.

• Love 3
(edited)

IIRC, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that prayer partners donate money. Does that mean it is likely that JB donated to Derick while he was in Nepal?

Edit: Had parents where it should say partners.

Edited by GeeGolly

I really don't think they have millions of dollars worth of fans. A few tens of thousands, maybe, but not more than that. And it's a big difference between buying someone a wedding gift or a baby gift (fun!) and paying to send someone in the ministry (work.) Scores of people serving in ministry will wryly tell you so.

• Love 7

IIRC, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that prayer parents donate money. Does that mean it is likely that JB donated to Derick while he was in Nepal?

It's possible, but JB is such a tightwad (and so proud of it).  He's also so certain that he's better than everyone else, I wouldn't be surprised that after he prays on a problem or looks for heavenly guidance, he's not too surprised when what he really wanted is what "God laid on his heart".  So, being such an extra special fellow who is obviously one of Gods favorites, I wouldn't be surprised if he considered his prayers for Derick to be worth more than mere money.

On the other hand, he might have thrown a few dollars to Derick to keep him on the hook.  JB, Derick, and Jill have all said that after getting to know Derick, JB brought Jill into the picture, thinking they might like each other.  I do think that JB felt he could control Derick and felt safe letting he and Jill start a long distance relationship, especially since JB and Michelle were closely monitoring their interactions.

Everything is highly speculative, because we've seen such a huge amount of hypocrisy from the Duggars in the past.  They're the perfect reality TV family.  They'll lie when they have to, they'll backpedal, and they'll hide things that the general public would object to.  They'll perform like trained animals in TLC manufactured situations, like when they go on trips they'd never go on if left to their own devices. 

They'll exploit their fundyism to the nth degree.  Because they know that the leghumpers will forgive them for 'not understanding' how we heathans giggle at the girls talking about how much they love pickles while sucking on said pickles.  Or 'poor Anna' calling a bouncy chair a vibrator, and seemingly not realizing how that would look to almost anyone else who watches the show.  The Duggars have perfected the art of presenting themselves as clueless baffoons to the general public, while insuring that their most rabid fans will rise up to protect them from anyone who laughs at them or criticizes them. 

In the past, there was just enough of the right mix to keep both the leghumpers and the snarkers happy.  Now more people are becoming aware of Gothards predilections for teenage girls with long curly hair, and Josh's admitted molestation of his sisters when he was a teen.  Things are becoming much more serious now, and the Duggars have apparently decided to do what they can to remain on TV.

Maybe laidback Derick was already getting tired of towing the party line and planned to move his family away from the Duggars, and the molestation reveal caused him to move up the timeline.

• Love 11

it's the disrespect and discourtesy that's the problem.  You wouldn't, I hope, come up and wipe your gunky hands on me, so why would you do so to my dog or cat, causing me to clean them up afterwards.  It's total rudeness, childishness, and nastiness to do something the offending jerk seems to consider funny.  It's not funny.  They've disrespected the animal and the human, causing the human to then clean the animal.  

All of this feeds into my thought about how our culture views pets. To give an example, in the U.S., we don't eat horsemeat because we generally view horses as pets, we see pets as family members, and we don't kill and eat family members. I had a pet rabbit as a child, and to this day, many decades later, I cannot abide the notion of rabbit meat. A friend of mine who owns parrots will happily tuck into a steak, but she won't eat poultry because it's like eating her babies' cousins. Call it crazy, but I think this is pretty much the way most of U.S. society feels.

While we're not talking about dining on fricasse of feline in this instance, we are talking about disrespecting a member of a species whom many of us (raises hand) have in our homes, feed, speak to, cuddle with, play with, and love. In other words, family members. If anyone attempted to wipe their hands on one of my cats as if the cat were a napkin, I'd kick that person's ass out of my house without missing a beat. 

Then again, we're talking about the Duggars here. I don't believe they respect their human family members, so why would they care about an animal?

Anyway, Derrick needs to get Jill away from her family, and I am glad they are leaving the country. I hope they stay away a good long time and never again live within a day's drive of JimBoob and MEchelle.

• Love 16

(Grin) and some of us grew up on a farm, and while we might have had a find relationship with a Wilbur pig or a Clarabelle cow, a nice juice bacon cheeseburger still wins the day!

• Love 3

(Grin) and some of us grew up on a farm, and while we might have had a find relationship with a Wilbur pig or a Clarabelle cow, a nice juice bacon cheeseburger still wins the day!

My grandparents and an uncle were farmers, as is a cousin. One of my earliest memories of my beloved grandmother is of her laughing at me because I was crying after she beheaded a turkey. And we played with the baby lambs and piglets, etc. I'll eat all of those meats, though I'm fussy about sourcing now. But no rabbit. Nope, nope, nope!

While we're not talking about dining on fricasse of feline in this instance, we are talking about disrespecting a member of a species whom many of us (raises hand) have in our homes, feed, speak to, cuddle with, play with, and love. In other words, family members. If anyone attempted to wipe their hands on one of my cats as if the cat were a napkin, I'd kick that person's ass out of my house without missing a beat. 

What puzzles me is why anyone would think wiping their hands on a pet would make their hands cleaner. Dogs roll around in the dirt and cats, you know, lick themselves. Seriously, WTF?

• Love 10
(edited)

Havent the poor people of Nepal suffered enough?Now they have to be subjected to these hate filled ignorant bible thumpers!

Guess what Jill sweetie,their religion was in place thousands of years before Gothard sat at a table with a pen and paper making up ridiculous "rules".

Edited by kandinski
  • Love 11

I'm thinking this whole mission is TLC driven. TLC came up with the idea and Jill & Derrick readily agreed. Think about it. Makes a whole lot of sense !!

I agree. TLC research probably shows that they'll get higher ratings if you put a Duggar in a fish-out-of-water type experience.
  • Love 2

I think we'll all get tired of hearing Jill and Derrick speak. Seems like the only other English speakers we'd see are the SOS ministries people. They can't be chatting up locals on the show if it's all in Spanish. The target audience doesn't do subtitles, either.

• Love 3

Josh and Anna said once that they were sponsoring a missionary. They rambled about how this was their kind of tithing since they did not attend a church but they knew the gospel said to give 10%. They said they had given a minivan to a needy family and they were sponsoring a missionary(they had some photos) as their tithing. We have seen the people that turn out for the weddings and the fans that are defending Josh and I think they would love their tithing to go to Jill mission. I agree it won't be millions but plenty of people will donate $25-50 a month and a few special friends $100-250 a month so I think Jill could easily could bring in 100k a year. In most misson areas that would give them an good lifestyle.

I think TLC would love to film Derick & Jill's adventure but I'm not sure they will. I think Jill will have a Jill cam and do some recording just in case the show comes back or a spin off is made. I think the secret of where they are going is not about filming but because they don't want the program that they are going to be affiliated with to get a backlash or have expose articles about their work written. I strongly think they are going back to central America and will be involved with SOS again. Jim Bob doesn't like change and he feel comfortable with the SOS leaders(isn't the birth control miscarriage doctor with SOS?) so that is why he is allowing, or his prayers pointed Derick to choose Central America. It is also way easier for Jim Bob to check in on the Dillards and still have some control over them.

• Love 3

I'm thinking this whole mission is TLC driven. TLC came up with the idea and Jill & Derrick readily agreed. Think about it. Makes a whole lot of sense !!

I won't like it so much if it's just for the teevee. Then they shouldn't be collecting money, specifically asking people to sign up for automatic monthly donations. 

• Love 6

Anyway, Derrick needs to get Jill away from her family, and I am glad they are leaving the country. I hope they stay away a good long time and never again live within a day's drive of JimBoob and MEchelle.

I'm not sure derickdillard is doing this to get Jilly Muffin away from her family. I think he's running away from everything. And I think he's going to have quite a problem on his hands with a stage 5 clinger with nothing to do besides paint her nails and interfere with midwives who actually know what they're doing.

• Love 14

I cringe anytime someone posts a donation link, especially links to pay for so-and-so's college tuition, so-and-so's move to "find him/herself", or so-and-so's pageant fees (yes, this has legitimately shown up in my newsfeed). I feel like if you can't afford or fund something for yourself (barring life-saving medical procedures/therapy) then maybe you should a) wait until you can afford to do it b) alter your plan to fit your budget or c) not do it at all.

Dill/Jerick could have easily put aside funds each month from Derick's job and then, in 20-25 years, have enough to move to their mission site permanently and be solely focused on their work without worrying about their children or potential children to come. 

• Love 15

I cringe anytime someone posts a donation link, especially links to pay for so-and-so's college tuition, so-and-so's move to "find him/herself", or so-and-so's pageant fees (yes, this has legitimately shown up in my newsfeed). I feel like if you can't afford or fund something for yourself (barring life-saving medical procedures/therapy) then maybe you should a) wait until you can afford to do it b) alter your plan to fit your budget or c) not do it at all.

Dill/Jerick could have easily put aside funds each month from Derick's job and then, in 20-25 years, have enough to move to their mission site permanently and be solely focused on their work without worrying about their children or potential children to come.

America has become the Home of the Moochers and Beggars. It's shameful and embarrassing. I can't imagine ANY situation that would make me ask complete strangers for money. Obviously there are many people who have no pride at all. NONE
  • Love 8

IIRC, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that prayer partners donate money. Does that mean it is likely that JB donated to Derick while he was in Nepal?

Edit: Had parents where it should say partners.

Unfortunately for Derick, I'll bet he's thought of Jim Bob as a kind of "prayer parent." Wake up, Derick.

• Love 2

I really think people overestimate how much people will give - I think people enjoy buying gifts, but supporting a mission or a church is something else altogether. For one thing, I imagine most of the Duggar fans aren't like the Duggars in that they aren't tied to real churches. I imagine that they are already tithing to real and established churches and organizations. Yes, twenty five here and twenty five there - but as someone who has done a lot of political AND religious fundraising, this is REALLY hard. People promise they will donate, but only about a third who say they will actually come through. I honestly can't imagine that Jill and Derick will come close to a 100K goal. A $25k goal, maybe. And likely only the first year, unless they have institutional backing.

Of course, $25K backing combined with what the Duggars may give them, and some institutional donations could be a pretty nice life abroad.

• Love 1

Jill has just posted an IG pic of Iz and the caption is about eating disorders. Pretty sure she'll do anything to get people to gush over her baby and distract from their hypocrisy. They make me sicker every day (and I used to be a fan of the show).

If the Dillards are starting a ministry and are seeking funds to go overseas, might I suggest they sell the $20k worth of wedding gifts? Or the second round of grifting that was the Wal-Mart baby register? Or how about the funds I'm sure they received for their exclusive wedding/baby dill pickle photos?

It's not the job of the masses to support grown ass adults in their whims. Perhaps John Shrader can let them borrow the plane that never was.

• Love 16

They sure could. The problem with Derick's IG message is he never specified. Yet, he wasn't bashful about asking for funds even though he shared next to nothing about their plans, other than they decided to go much sooner than they planned and that it's scheduled for next month.

Absolutely. Someone needs to post a message to the Dillards' donation site.  Hey Derrick, if you expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to advance you Penny One for your mission trip, you had better come up with some details pronto, son. Lots of details - as in as much information as you are capable of providing. Otherwise, you & Jilly Muffin can pay yourself - just cash in one or two of your People covers.

• Love 13

I know that if I want to learn about healthy body image, healthy eating, and how to ally clinical principles with faith the first place I go is to a random Duggar and her husband the tax accountant. Huh?

Her mother used to be fake Bulimic? The Duggars make a pretty good appetite suppressant.

I'm not sure why people who think anyone who doesn't conform to their body standards of dress, hair, makeup, etc would be good speakers at this event. Oh well, it's a payday.

• Love 4
(edited)

Absolutely. Someone needs to post a message to the Dillards' donation site. Hey Derrick, if you expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to advance you Penny One for your mission trip, you had better come up with some details pronto, son. Lots of details - as in as much information as you are capable of providing. Otherwise, you & Jilly Muffin can pay yourself - just cash in one or two of your People covers.

Nah, I would just tell Derick, get a job hippie. WTH? Why does he think he is the chosen one to have to not work, get money for nothing, then take off to bible belt to people who already believe in Jesus!!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 7
(edited)

I had a pet rabbit as a child, and to this day, many decades later, I cannot abide the notion of rabbit meat. 

Bella, I understand. I grew up on a 600 acre cattle ranch and my grandfather raised sheep. I once took a real live lamb to "show and tell" - and the next time I saw that lamb was with mint jelly at dinner. It took me awhile to become a card carrying vegetarian, but I've been just that for the past 27 years. If meat eaters understand exactly how their food is raised and "harvested," I respect their right to disagree. But refusing food that (a) ever had a mother or (b) responds when I touch it is a decision that feeds my soul, lowers my cholesterol and helps solve global warming by reducing bovine methane, slowing deforestation and gut punching the horrendous amounts of CO2 produced when we grow the grains ruminants eat.

Then again, we're talking about the Duggars here. I don't believe they respect their human family members, so why would they care about an animal?

They don't. How many poor dogs and cats have cycled through the TTH, there one day then strangely gone and never spoken of the next? And I can't even find words for Catgate. Just thinking about it makes my blood boil. I'm going to go give my dogs their daily massage now so they'll know how much I love them.

Edited by HundFan
  • Love 12

Nah, I would just tell Derick, get a job hippie. WTH? Why does he think he is the chosen one to have to not work, get money for nothing, then take off to bible belt to people who already believe in Jesus!!

But they don't believe in Jesus in precisely the right way! And that makes all the difference, of course. Doesn't it?

I give $25/month to a GoFundMe account for a hair stylist at the salon I visit. He had lousy insurance and was in a bad accident right before the ACA kicked in. We each have our own criteria for donating. The Dillards don't meet mine.

ETA:I'm a failed vegan and a failed vegetarian, HundFan. Long story, not really relevant here. But yeah, I tried.

• Love 12

For those who think they'll collect enough money that they'll live an "American" life in a developing country, that's easier said than done. In many places no matter how much money you have there just isn't construction that is at all comparable to the U.S. -- in most countries, even the most luxurious of homes are much smaller, may not have amenities like central AC or a dishwasher or a dryer, and may be subject to water outages and electrical brown outs just like all other neighborhoods and a generator may only run  few necessary lights and not everything else. On those HGTV homes, often the couple will end up in a more American style, larger home than what you can get in town -- so maybe that's an option if Derick is willing to go to a developing country and put a sign on his family's back that they are outsiders who don't speak the language, have the money to be living in a large home outside of town with the husband being gone all day -- and just a wife and child home alone. Sometimes no matter how much money you have, it's better to live like the locals and blend in so as not to attract the attention of anyone who may want to take advantage of your family. Frankly Derick looked pretty happy in a tiny apartment in Nepal, wandering the town on foot, making friends with locals, and eating at the local establishments -- I kind of hope he gets that set up again and Jilly Muffin learns to adjust, rather than them springing for a big, distant home somewhere where they're separated from the locals and Jill is just watching the clock all day waiting for him to come home -- as she did with WMT

• Love 4

ETA:I'm a failed vegan and a failed vegetarian, HundFan. Long story, not really relevant here. But yeah, I tried.

After 36 years of marriage, my husband's still a carnivore.  I work at home, so I often cook the meat he wants for dinner. As payment for this kindness, I occasionally insist he watch factory farming videos. And I always wear rubber gloves when handling animal flesh.  You'd think the latex taste would put him off that feed, right?  No luck so far. 

• Love 2

I have not heard where they are going. Anyone know?

They're trying to build suspense but no one care.  We are the only people who give a shit and that is only because we like to snark on these terribly pious phonies.

• Love 8

I personally think mission trips are bullshit for lack of a better word. I despise proselytizing by any religion. If ISIS came to poverty stricken areas of the U.S. and started spreading the virtue of Sharia law and murdering infidels? They'd be shot like rabid dogs by SWAT teams. But when Christians do it? It's all noble and good and praiseworthy because Jesus. There are plenty of ways to help the less fortunate (Peace Corps, Foundations) that don't involve shoving your religious beliefs on people. You don't even have to leave home FFS!!! [/rant]

I believe there are people that would think ISIS coming here and "preaching" to poverty stricken areas about their beliefs would be considered noble, good, and praiseworthy. Just like some Christians going to some countries and "preaching" is life threatening and unwelcome too.

Anyway, not that I think the Dillard family will be going anywhere and putting their lives in grave danger. I just think we have to remember there people in the mission to convert others to their chosen religion everywhere.

(edited)

For me, there are two issues that make me dubious about this missionary endeavour (especially if their destination is Nepal). 

1- Jill is a 150% Gothard and 200% Duggar girl, which in my mind makes it pretty unlikely that she's the type of missionary who's there to provide clean water and medical care (and a snowball's chance in the Sahara that she'd be willing to build schools). It makes me a little sick to think of Jill coming up to some random Nepali (or Central American) woman and blathering on about how God had laid it on Jll's hard to fellowship with her and tell her that in this season of life she should be purposing to catch as many precious blessings while keeping sweet and gazing at her headships with that pleasing full-frontal lobotomy look on her countenance. 

2- If this is going to be the basis of a TLC spin-off, it makes me really uncomfortable to think of a weekly show exploiting the lives of the kind of people who need missionary assistance. Add to that if they are going to Nepal and the TLC film crew is wasting the country's limited resources to charge their video cameras (for example) I will start to see red.

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 16
(edited)

I know missionaries have done lots of harm but I know many who have also done even more good.  I knew several MKs at my college and they were all more liberal than the average student (late 70s, yes I am old).  They were all missionaries from the college's denomination which supported helping people with basic and medical needs and education while offering (not requiring)  ministering services.  

I am not saying that is the type of mission J&D will be doing since they are giving us no info.  It looked like Derick really enjoyed his time in Nepal and participated a lot in the culture.  Jill has also said that is what she wanted to do but I am not sure if she has a clue what real long term mission work involves.  

However I am going to keep thinking positive that this will be a good thing for them as well as the those they will meet while on mission.  This can be a life changing experience.  Or not.  

Edited by auntieminem
  • Love 7

I'm not sure what Derick and Jill were able to contribute to the conference. If Jill comes out and announces an eating disorder right after Smuggargate, there's no way she can also simultaneously say she was perfectly fine and had all of the counseling she needed.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm not sure what Derick and Jill were able to contribute to the conference. If Jill comes out and announces an eating disorder right after Smuggargate, there's no way she can also simultaneously say she was perfectly fine and had all of the counseling she needed.

Josh's counseling was renovating an old Hobby Lobby. I'd hate to see what Jill's eating disorder counseling would consist of according to her shitty parents. Cooking for the family? Feeding the little ones? Having her buddies watch her eat and report to the parents if she didn't? Hours locked in the Prayer Closet? Or -- the worst punishment of all -- having to hear about Michelle's struggles with an eating disorder...

It's interesting that Derick and Jill appeared at this eating disorder conference because it shows that they will appear anywhere and speak on topics they're not qualified to discuss if a check is involved. They're whores. But not the hookers with a heart of gold type. They're the dangerous type because they most likely told these people battling eating disorders to pray the eating disorder away instead of seeking evidence-based treatment with licensed mental health clinicians.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 15

Since TLC hasn't officially cancelled them yet - and presumably they were planning to at least show updates from wherever they go, via JillCam or intermittent filming - they may legitimately not be able to reveal where they're going due to the TLC terms that are still in effect. Just a thought, since it does seem weird they wouldn't include even a country.

Or, you know, People has a separate exclusive for the details. :-P

• Love 5

I'd believe it if Derick said he an eating disorder, but not Jill.

I would as well. Jill has never been overweight, but she has never been dangerously thin either. If I had to make a guess on Duggars with eating disorders I'd go with Jessa and Jinger. Jessa seems unhealthily obsessed with avoiding pregnancy weight gain and Jinger's arms are so thin they look like they'd snap like twigs.

• Love 4

NIKE - I love love love how the modesty courting poster child has banners of DATE ASIAN WOMEN in semi-scantily clad clothing as the add on the bottom of the page. Idiots. Jill is definitely an idiot, and I think Derrick is just an idiot with a degree.

I got a Halloween related ad.  Odd they come out on Jill's site. Coincidence?

• Love 1

I got a Halloween related ad.  Odd they come out on Jill's site. Coincidence?

I think it is just a google ad. So the ad will be related to your own search history. Mine was about American Girl Dolls.

• Love 2

I personally think mission trips are bullshit for lack of a better word. I despise proselytizing by any religion. If ISIS came to poverty stricken areas of the U.S. and started spreading the virtue of Sharia law and murdering infidels? They'd be shot like rabid dogs by SWAT teams. But when Christians do it? It's all noble and good and praiseworthy because Jesus. There are plenty of ways to help the less fortunate (Peace Corps, Foundations) that don't involve shoving your religious beliefs on people. You don't even have to leave home FFS!!! [/rant]

I think you lost me on the ISIS comparison because of the murdering thing...  Of course that wouldn't be accepted.

Missionaries aren't well accepted in the US when proselytizing (how many jokes are there about slamming doors in the face of Jehovah's witnesses or Mormons?) but seem to do okay when helping the less fortunate. Many churches in the area go and spend time both overseas and in under-served areas of the US. It's harder to find people to do the US missions, as they generally feel SAFER overseas.

In other countries, depending on the religious environment, missionaries are different levels of "out there" about Jesus. In a lot of countries you never mention religion unless someone asks you about it first. The locals aren't stupid. They know the white Americans are there with their church, and in between public works projects, sometimes, someone asks about it.  And sometimes you go the entire trip without saying a word about Jesus. But if you really believe you are doing God's work, well, someday, someone will come to God for what you did.

I'd assume Muslims might actually have an EASIER time as missionaries (except I don't think the religion does that) because there are very few militant Christian countries where it is illegal to talk about other religions. I guess they'd have the same issue in China as Christians do.

• Love 4