Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Reminder: Please do not make certain comments about the Duggars supporters and their reading and writing skills. This thread is the Dillards, and not a place to discuss other people's reading and writing abilities. Posts in the future focusing on this will be deleted or hidden by the mods. Thank you.

I have an editor and a copy editor. I should send them both flowers. My crimes against grammar and punctuation are egregious. (It's a long story, but I have trouble with sentence structure. I've taken several grammar workshops. For some reason, my brain doesn't retain the information and it's embarrassing.) The editor and copy editor have been more than gracious to me.

I am a copy editor, and your entire post was flawless! I'm guessing you're your own worst critic. While you say sentence structure doesn't come naturally to you, you seem to have made up for it by study and effort because the way you write is a breath of fresh air compared to what I see every day.

Yikes, they really did look strained and unhappy in their sparklers picture. I am still trying to get used to Derick's new face. He looks like a different person after his surgery. I'm also so behind on what's happening with them. Do we still not know where they're headed overseas? Any rumblings about the possible rumored spinoff?

I've never gotten the sense that Jill would be all that into blanket training. It's something I see Jessa embracing, sure - but Jill seems softer and more nurturing. She seems more likely to drift into a "crunchy" lifestyle, to me.

She had to blanket train the other children she raised, why would Iz be different? Check out that video that was posted this week where she is in a room watching children while others remodel Josh's new house. Look how quickly they obey her and line right up. All of them. Obedience like that is forged in pain.

When you add Derrick's influence to that, plus living in a foreign country away from all the Duggars, it will be very interesting to see how she develops as a parent.

Derrick's influence? How will his parenting be different than JB's? He married a woman-child - without any experience or independence, a married solely based on control. Sounds like more of the same to me. Jill and Derrick's round of JB spawn will be just like the first generation.
  • Love 3

As I've posted in other threads, I think the blanket training/Pearl methods have been oversold. I think Jill looks back mostly on the very earlier years when there would have been about five or six of them (and lots of babies, but the older six seem like a "team" to me) and thinks of that as her "childhood. We never saw that on camera, but it wasn't full blown Gothard, and while I suspect it was very stressful for Jim Bob and Michelle, it might have been very happy for the children before things became very regimented and "peaceful."

Ugh, I hate to defend Boob or Michelle but I think in their minds they honestly believed they were doing the right thing by separating boys and girls, imposing strict rules about physical contact and locking doors at night. The problem is that it turned their house into a sort of quasi-prison and prevented their children from having normal relationships with one another. They never addressed the real problem which was JOSH.

I don't know what kind of parent Jill will turn out to be. She never struck me as someone who would be harsh with discipline, but the more we see of her, the more she's turning into Michelle's clone.

• Love 5
(edited)

Derrick didn't grow up in a Duggar compound. He has a working mother. College is expected. These are all big things. He had a very different childhood than Jill, and that will influence how he parents.

Further, if Jill does utilize separating siblings and locks on doors, that may not be an endorsement of her parents' style. Remember, she is a victim, and that can leave deep scars. She could use those methods out of paranoia, rather than endorsement.

As for the littles obeying her, I see that as a product of her engagement with them. She's still having then over, having sleepovers. I get the sense Jill forged nurturing bonds with her buddies. I don't see obedience to her as an automatic sign she herself blanket trained them.

Edited by starving artist
  • Love 4

I do believe that whatever child rearing method Jill uses, there will be a softness to it. I recall an episode were the younger kids were preparing signs for Ben. Josie jumped down from her chair (or maybe the table top) ;) and said she was going with the older girls. Jill calmly said something to the effect of "No, but thank-you for being sweet, you are going to help here." Josie turned around and sat down.

However there is no way to know if Josie knew that the rod would come out if she didn't obey.

• Love 1

Derrick didn't grow up in a Duggar compound. He has a working mother. College is expected. These are all big things. He had a very different childhood than Jill, and that will influence how he parents.

Considering that he is leading his adult life and marriage with values that are the complete opposite of his mother's, I see him providing his children with the same upbringing Jill experienced.

Derrick has some deep-seeded mommy issues, which is why he married a J-Slave without personality.

• Love 1

I agree that Derick, up to this point, has taken on the values espoused by Jill & the Duggars. I think by putting some mileage between themselves and the Duggars will be helpful, but it remains to be seen how they will forge ahead and develop their own family norms. I'm not sure we know or have seen Derick enough to even suggest he has "deep-seeded mommy issues".

• Love 1
(edited)

Heh, some aspects of that look are a little too familiar to me.  I use a clear bite-plate at night sometimes and it messes up the look of my whole face, it looks there is something over his upper teeth. Plus, the guy looks like he hasn't had a decent nights sleep in quite some time.  He's getting crazy-eyes and those bags are starting to blend in with the facial hair. Man, that's unflattering.

Heres hoping they stay on missions out of country for decades and in an FU internet + JB decision all the kids wind up enrolled in IB programs. Not going to happen, the best to hope for will probably be them sending the kids to any sort of school at all.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 2

Derick really is looking more like Jill. Creepy. He'd benefit from a shave and a crew cut right about now. He's not an ugly guy, but between being so thin and unkempt he's not exactly doing himself any favors.

Considering that he is leading his adult life and marriage with values that are the complete opposite of his mother's, I see him providing his children with the same upbringing Jill experienced.

Not really, Cathy went Ray Comfort-style fundie at some point after Derick's childhood. I'm thinking Derick's dad's death really shook the whole family up and brought about the weird religious stuff. Dan just converted, though I can't blame him. I would too to shut up my fundie-lite mom and brother.

i could be wrong on this but I can't see Derick allowing his child to be blanket trained. Granted he has apparently been drinking the kool-aid, but I don't think he would approve of his child being abused. I also agree with the person who said Jill knows their was something crazy about her upbringing. Hopefully this mission to C/S America will open Jill's eyes and help her grow.

• Love 3
(edited)

i could be wrong on this but I can't see Derick allowing his child to be blanket trained. Granted he has apparently been drinking the kool-aid, but I don't think he would approve of his child being abused. I also agree with the person who said Jill knows their was something crazy about her upbringing. Hopefully this mission to C/S America will open Jill's eyes and help her grow.

I feel like Jill will grow as much as Anna did in DC. I remember the first 6 months Anna was in DC she had family, and ATI friends with her non-stop. This visits lessened a bit but it still didn't seem like Anna had a few weeks without Jana, Priscilia, or an ATI friend with her. If Jill is going to a mission (SOS or similar) she will be around like minded people all the time and I foresee the constant stream of visitors. I see Joy spending a lot of time with Jill. Jill was her buddy mom, Joy has finished homeschool and is 17 and has ? to do. I think Jill will gain a greater appreciation for what she has but I don't see this trip making her fundie-lite or that she will be secretly wearing shorts or sending her son to school someday.

Edited by silverspoons

I'm not sure we know when his mother became deeply religious. I know Fundy women who work full time and the children have "normal" childhoods looking from the outside.

I do think that Derick is a shy, quiet person who is still, perhaps an extrovert - meaning he draws energy from being around other people, not that he's a boisterous person. And he was drawn to Jill's outgoing personality and to the idea of a large and busy family.

• Love 1
(edited)

Poor Derrick.  He looks like he has really poor hygiene and I'm not sure his wife is much help.  Not that it's her job, but it's my experience a new wife will nag a husband to clean up his act.  A normal boyfriend/girlfriend relationship would have started the nagging process a little sooner. Of course, she may need some help in that area too for all I know.  

Poor Derrick.  He looks like he has really poor hygiene and I'm not sure his wife is much help.  Not that it's her job, but it's my experience a new wife will nag a husband to clean up his act.  A normal boyfriend/girlfriend relationship would have started the nagging process a little sooner. Of course, she may need some help in that area too for all I know.  

Edited by toodles
  • Love 1

Who else thinks Jill packed a large stash of pee tests in her suitcase?

I do.

These freaks probably have pregnancy tests stashed in the glove compartment of their cars.

Years ago, between high school and college I worked as a cashier at a CVS. So many women would purchase pregnancy tests and then ask to use our bathroom. The Duggar women folk remind me of those customers who needed to know whether they were pregnant or not moments atter their purchase.

• Love 5

So many women would purchase pregnancy tests and then ask to use our bathroom. The Duggar women folk remind me of those customers who needed to know whether they were pregnant or not moments atter their purchase.

Some of those women may not have had a safe space to take the test otherwise.

• Love 14
(edited)

Some of those women may not have had a safe space to take the test otherwise.

The underage, women with abusive spouses, women who want to surprise the father, women who are about to take teratogenic drugs, etc. There are many good reasons to test immediately. The baby Olympics Jill's engaged in don't count, though.

I'm sure Jill will really want to impress God into giving her a good birth this time around though. A mission trip, helping the poor? I see a VBAC of twins on a dirt floor with no water or electricity, tended by midwives Jill can barely communicate with. Nothing will go wrong if Jill prays hard enough.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

Yes, I noticed that Jessa didn't say what country, but she is the one who spilled the beans when she mentioned the mission trip at the ALIVE speaking engagement. Does she not think people remember this stuff? Just because SHE doesn't have the ability to put two and two together, does she think no one else can either?

It's official. They are off with an unknown number of Duggars.

https://instagram.com/p/4xH2ADDftA/?taken-by=jessaseewald

I hope this is a growing & learning experience for them. If they truly feel a calling then I hope they feel the fulfillment of actually heeding that call. Additionally I hope they can be a blessing to people. (And I don't mean that as a Duggarism, but honestly.) I know there are widely varying views on missionaries, but I know there are those who do a lot of good in communities & live their faith more than just speak it. I am going to be optimistic for them, at least for today.
  • Love 5

That plane went these places

I just googled in US Airways flights from NWA and figured out that they flew to Dallas, with a layover then connection to Guatemala City (they are in flight as I type). Not hard to figure out at all. 

• Love 1

Wow, nice detective work. So it went from Fayetteville to Charlotte. If they stayed with that plane, maybe Brazil?

I don't see it going to Charlotte. What am I missing? The US Air flight from Dallas to Guatemala City that is in flight right now seems to be the connection, and since a flight left NWA at 11 this morning for Dallas, I think this may be the accurate path. I found this because I remembered that last time, they flew through Houston (according to Jessica Seewald), so I checked that first. That's how I found the Dallas flight. 

Why fly through Charlotte? That's the other direction! 

I don't see it going to Charlotte. What am I missing? The US Air flight from Dallas to Guatemala City that is in flight right now seems to be the connection, and since a flight left NWA at 11 this morning for Dallas, I think this may be the accurate path. I found this because I remembered that last time, they flew through Houston (according to Jessica Seewald), so I checked that first. That's how I found the Dallas flight. 

Why fly through Charlotte? That's the other direction! 

I just assumed they would leave from Fayetteville. 

Meh, connecting flights don't always make sense.  I've flown in the opposite direction countless times for a connecting flight.  I can't imagine DFW or CLT having people walk out on the tarmac for flights.  That's usually reserved for smaller airports, like Fayateville.  

But this is all seeming quite stalkery.  

• Love 4
(edited)

The plane went Fayetteville - Charlotte - Valparaiso, but that was on the 3rd. I imagine they're just taking a circuitous, but cheap, series of flights to wherever.

Weekends are different. I compared like vs. like (Sunday flights). 

I assume that Jessa took that picture at Fayetteville. I'm sure the connecting plane at DFW was a "normal" sized plane that boarded at a normal gate. :D 

I don't feel as if I'm staking them; I look up flights like this all the time. It's not as if any of us could chase them down, even if we wanted to. 

eta: The Duggars have also gotten wise to the stalker angle (leghumper problems???). Jessa posted this picture hours after the fact. The Dullards were long gone, maybe even landed in DFW by the time she posted. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Weekends are different. I compared like vs. like (Sunday flights).

I assume that Jessa took that picture at Fayetteville. I'm sure the connecting plane at DFW was a "normal" sized plane that boarded at a normal gate. :D

I don't feel as if I'm staking them; I look up flights like this all the time. It's not as if any of us could chase them down, even if we wanted to.

This isn't stalking, what freejinger do with John David's plane probably is. But the Dillwald instagram teases about missions practically invites us to do this. That's my excuse.

• Love 2

A fan said that the show will return? I know a lot of them are in wishful thinking mode; nothing has been announced. 

And no fans have come forth saying they have seen cameras. I think that someone would be super happy to announce that they'd seen such activity in this time of flux. 

I bet cameras documented today's events, even if it was just Duggar Films. 

• Love 1

One of the comments said that 19 Kids will return on TLC later this year.

I looked at that commenter's profile - she's the one that wrote that horrible, no good, bad Jana fanfic we've been mocking. Not exactly a trustworthy (or sane) source.

• Love 2
(edited)

That's really sad that this website needed to create their own definition of stalking, and even sadder that certain behavior here doesn't even meet it. Jeez, how bad does obsessive behavior have to get before a duck is at least identified as "duckish"?

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 1

This is a very large site with thousands of topics and tens of thousands of visitors daily. We've dealt with just about everything here simply because of the volume.

And publicly available information like Instagram posts and flight data are allowed.

• Love 6

As I well know, the definition of behaviors on this website changes on whims.  I'll be interested to see what 'stalkery' definition will be next week, or even tomorrow.  Lol, jfc.

On a less stalkery note, it continues to be extremely distasteful that they are requesting money without telling potential donors what they will use this money for.  I'm half tempted to set up a fake missionary fund to see how much I can weasel out of the fundies.  

Wow, nice detective work. So it went from Fayetteville to Charlotte. If they stayed with that plane, maybe Brazil?

That plane is a small regional jet (CRJ)  that holds approximately 50 passengers.  It is not the type of plane that would fly international flights; those are typically flown by wide-body planes like Boeing 767, 747, or 777.  They would have had to change planes to continue on to an international destination.

So, now Jill and Derick haven't just gone from courting, to engagement, to marriage, to parenthood in less than two years, they have thrown in a move to another country as well. Wow. Their son is three months old. With my kids I was just starting to feel like I was starting to get some sleep when they reached that age. I can't imagine going off to start life in a third world country at that point.

As a Christian, I thoroughly believe in missions and they obviously both showed an interest in missions before they were even together. This may very we'll be what God is calling them to do at this time. However, there is a cynical side if me that thinks that if this show ever comes back, having something "interesting " like them adapting to another culture would bring in more viewers than another Dugger kissing free courtship, Jana altering another set of bridesmaids dresses, or the arrival of M4, M5, M6 (perhaps verboten now anyway due to Josh).

I also hope they have a health care provider lined up in their new country who can handle Izzy's well-baby check-ups, vaccinations, and the inevitable arrival of Dilly #2.

(edited)

That plane is a small regional jet (CRJ) that holds approximately 50 passengers. It is not the type of plane that would fly international flights; those are typically flown by wide-body planes like Boeing 767, 747, or 777. They would have had to change planes to continue on to an international destination.

I wouldn't have that it had the legs to make it to Chile, but it apparently does. Unless there's two Valparaisos.

ETA: VPS is actually Fort Walton Beach. Flightradar's mistake, not mine. There isn't a V, P or an S in 'Fort Walton Beach' either.

Edited by Kokapetl
(edited)

Is the flight involving Charlotte actually Fayetteville, NC? The local airport is called XNA not Fayetteville. Just wondering.

Edited by ramble