Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

On 10/14/2023 at 8:10 PM, GeeGolly said:

Jill's book made it 3 weeks on the NYT's list, but now the book isn't in the top 15. I wonder if they'll make anything beyond what they've been paid?

There's too many unknown variables to fully answer this--what was her actual advance, what are her contractual royalty rates, and who paid for the ghostwriter.  From what I can research quickly, she's sold close to 60,000 copies since release date of the physical book.  That is enough to earn out a typical 50k advance, and be very close to earning out a 100k advance with a typical royalty rate of 10% of the retail price.  I'm leaving out all electronic formats because I can't easily find that number and they have their own rules for paying out and Amazon is going to Amazon at every turn.  

So, Jill might see a quarterly royalty check or two.  I can't see her getting checks this time next year though.  

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 7
2 hours ago, Stevie Nicks said:

For the record, I love beans and cornbread, so no shade here. 

orca-image-1923096623.jpeg

I love beans and cornbread too, but I looked up her "fancy cornbread" recipe, and it's a pretty weird recipe, at least to me. Granted, I've been pondering the logistics of cornbread a lot recently because I finally talked my grandma into sharing her cornbread recipe with me. It's like the gold standard of cornbread with me, but I know everyone has their own special twist. LOL 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6

I grew up eating plain ole Jiffy cornbread. Slap a little butter on it and its so yummy to me.

As for beans, yea, no. Maybe a spoonful of baked beans with a hotdog. Or my mom made a 3 bean casserole that was good, but again only a spoonful or two is enough for me.

Maybe Jill could add a salad or some sliced tomatoes and cukes for some color and additional nutrients. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I grew up eating plain ole Jiffy cornbread. Slap a little butter on it and its so yummy to me.

As for beans, yea, no. Maybe a spoonful of baked beans with a hotdog. Or my mom made a 3 bean casserole that was good, but again only a spoonful or two is enough for me.

Maybe Jill could add a salad or some sliced tomatoes and cukes for some color and additional nutrients. 

My dad adored baked beans. Every Easter we would have ham and baked beans. I love them too but my husband doesn't so I don't make them. But he loves it when I use beans in chili (regular and white chicken), various soups and even black beans over rice. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Jill & Derick are on Kate Casey’s podcast this week. Just listened to it and it was a lot better than I expected!

Apologies in advance to the moderators if this isn’t forum appropriate.

Edited by Bridget
  • Like 1
  • Useful 9
4 hours ago, Bridget said:

Jill & Derick are on Kate Casey’s podcast this week. 

I just listened and it was an interesting interview. I am a little suspicious that the boys may not actually be in public school currently. Kate talked about that they were sending their boys to public school. They didn't say that they aren't, but they raved about the public school Israel went to when they lived in their old house and said nothing about the current situation. Jill is pretty well spoken, though she does interrupt Derick a lot. I don't mind that. I'm just saying that I noticed it and have noticed it in past interviews. Derick didn't say much. 

• Applause 2
  • Useful 9
7 hours ago, Bridget said:

Jill & Derick are on Kate Casey’s podcast this week. Just listened to it and it was a lot better than I expected!

Apologies in advance to the moderators if this isn’t forum appropriate.

Is she the wackadoodle who was on SHP?

1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Is she the wackadoodle who was on SHP?

Are you thinking about the woman who does Fundie Fridays?  Different person. Kate Casey does podcasts about reality tv and I am pretty sure she was not on SHP. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
9 hours ago, auntieminem said:

Are you thinking about the woman who does Fundie Fridays?  Different person. Kate Casey does podcasts about reality tv and I am pretty sure she was not on SHP. 

Okay, phew. Thank you.

19 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I just listened and it was an interesting interview. I am a little suspicious that the boys may not actually be in public school currently. Kate talked about that they were sending their boys to public school. They didn't say that they aren't, but they raved about the public school Israel went to when they lived in their old house and said nothing about the current situation. Jill is pretty well spoken, though she does interrupt Derick a lot. I don't mind that. I'm just saying that I noticed it and have noticed it in past interviews. Derick didn't say much. 

This got debated on Reddit too. 

The consensus is that they spoke in the past tense because that was the old school. People articles and the book indicated they're in public school, but they've also been pretty close to the chest on specifics with their lives.

I don't blame her for not sharing the name or details of the school currently. I'm not a public figure and I never share anything about my kid online, I try as much as possible to not share gender, age, or geographic location...her kids are somewhat more well known but it makes sense to just obfuscate what they can. 

• Like 23
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

This got debated on Reddit too. 

The consensus is that they spoke in the past tense because that was the old school. People articles and the book indicated they're in public school, but they've also been pretty close to the chest on specifics with their lives.

I don't blame her for not sharing the name or details of the school currently. I'm not a public figure and I never share anything about my kid online, I try as much as possible to not share gender, age, or geographic location...her kids are somewhat more well known but it makes sense to just obfuscate what they can. 

That's a good point. They may have clammed up because they don't want to reveal where their kids currently go to school. They were both all in when speaking about the importance of educating their kids, even daughters if they ever have one! JimBob would be appalled!

• Like 16
On 10/5/2023 at 6:07 PM, AgathaC said:

Or if you’ve been trained to rely on it and never encouraged to be independent. There’s money in my family and my husband’s family, but we were both raised to work hard and support ourselves without counting on inheritance. Our retirement plan doesn’t include anything we might inherit so if we do get anything, it’ll just be a nice bonus. You never know what will happen to that family money you’re depending on. For instance, thousands upon thousands being thrown into the black hole that is your brother’s defense fund. On the other hand, I know a teen who’s being brought up in an environment of endless indulgence and not a lot of responsibility. He’s going to have a rude awakening when he realizes all those gifts his grandparents lavished on him were his inheritance and maybe he should have studied in school instead of constantly flirting with flunking out.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have no idea what reality will look like. I may very well be wrong, but it’s always seemed to me they’re trained to rely on ol’ Jim Boob. Do they really know what money there is? How to manage it? How to prop up their shady businesses? Maybe he has trained the boys in how to follow in his footsteps. But it all has the potential to crumble into a full-on shit show when JB and Meech shuffle on out.

This is my feeling, too. They have no concept of money: earning a salary, paying bills, taxes, saving, etc.

I'm pretty sure that most of them (all the sons, and Jessa and Ben) have a place to live, and a car to drive, and phone service through Duggar Enterprises. They get pocket money, and some additional perks (trips, etc.) doled out in drips and drabs by JB. 

I don't think any of them could conceptualize what an inheritance would really look like, and I think JB keeps very ight control over the reality of the books. I doubt any of them really knows anything about his web of financial shenanigans.

• Like 13
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

This is my feeling, too. They have no concept of money: earning a salary, paying bills, taxes, saving, etc.

I'm pretty sure that most of them (all the sons, and Jessa and Ben) have a place to live, and a car to drive, and phone service through Duggar Enterprises. They get pocket money, and some additional perks (trips, etc.) doled out in drips and drabs by JB.

It seems like Abbie said something about this on the show. How the money situation with John was different than how she was raised. I believe she mentioned she was taught to use a budget and John was not. He just thought the money would be there or something.

Maybe someone else with a better memory can add more details.

• Like 13
6 hours ago, crazy8s said:

It seems like Abbie said something about this on the show. How the money situation with John was different than how she was raised. I believe she mentioned she was taught to use a budget and John was not. He just thought the money would be there or something.

Maybe someone else with a better memory can add more details.

JD is pretty cheap, hence living on an industrial site in a small trailer. I got the impression JD, handled money by the month rather than weekly, whereas Abbie was used to getting a paycheck each week.

Does anyone know if they moved? The trailer was so tiny, Gracie had office equipment in her room. I can't imagine having two kids squished in there, especially because there is no yard.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I got the impression JD, handled money by the month rather than weekly, whereas Abbie was used to getting a paycheck each week.

Yes I think she mentioned that in one of the only episodes I ever watched. It was essentially that she was used to a regular income, that comes in at regular times and in regular amounts, whereas whatever self-employment he had or work he did with his dad was much harder for her to plan around. 

• Like 7

I wonder if she went back to nursing because they needed money. She had to give it up just because she was getting married. She now has 2 small kids. I would think that now would be the time to stay at home.

(And yes, I know mothers have jobs in the real world, but in that doesn’t happen in fundieland.)

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I wonder if she went back to nursing because they needed money. She had to give it up just because she was getting married. She now has 2 small kids. I would think that now would be the time to stay at home.

(And yes, I know mothers have jobs in the real world, but in that doesn’t happen in fundieland.)

It doesn't seem, as of yet anyway, that any Duggars are struggling financially. Jill did claim at one time they were receiving SNAP, but nothing about her SM lifestyle indicated they were broke.

The show has been cancelled for a couple years now and we know JB is cheap, so if any of the sons are going to struggle financially, I think it will start to show up soon. But of all the brothers I think JD would be one who would scramble to find ways to support his family.

• Like 7
13 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Their mailing address is still that trailer. There's land in their names, but they don't provide the address anymore.

eta I selected the View option. It just gave me a list of 4 cars. No land. 

That was probably the personal property tax page.

JD has land under a couple llcs and he still owns that house he got from the bank. I do think they are still in that trailer right next to the church. That is where they are shown as far as voter reg.

John and one of the duggar sweet friends, Reid Joseph, were at one point running some sort of environmental company. From the Medicfools "leadership" page. John is CEO of Natural State Environmental Services.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
7 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Sounds like a good name for a septic company.

I can find no description of what they actually do or any business page to hire them or anything. James also has his J and J environmental services business. Same thing, no business website to hire them for whatever. James seems to dig septic fields and he has posted of trenching and laying culverts on job sites.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 6
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

That's the wisest observation Jeremy has ever made. It also gives insight into his own feelings about his FIL. 

Conveniently, it also allows Jeremy to commend himself for only bullying Jinger in ways that include telling her what her opinions are, what she likes, and giving her simple tasks like feeding and watering him when she's barely postpartum.

• Like 8
  • Sad 5
  • Applause 3
21 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Abbie went back to working as a nurse?

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, awaken said:

Abbie went back to working as a nurse?

There was chatter that she was in attendance when the last Duggar grandbaby was born. A picture surfaced with a curly haired nurse in the background. But I don't recall if her face could be seen. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Useful 3
17 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

There was chatter that she was in attendance when the last Duggar grandbaby was born. A picture surfaced with a curly haired nurse in the background. But I don't recall if her face could be seen. 

Moving my response to the JD/Abbie thread.

Edited by auntieminem
  • Like 2

You can take the Duggar out of the family, but you can't take all things Duggar out of Jill. This post was accompanied by many clips of the kids and J&D hitting up half a dozen restaurants for freebies.

image.png.0e99565afaeb9d9921c26ef449653dfc.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 7

It is funny how many finger waging responses there are about celebrating the devil's holiday.  I was noting that on Jinger's thread as well. But they had both had more supporters. Wonder if they are the only two families that do any kind of Halloween fun.  I posted about Jason's Halloween in the Lonely Js. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3