Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I think Jim Bob views disagreeing with him as disrespect and possibly abuse.  

That's definitely the case with him and Jill. Even asking him a question is disrespectful and the worse thing you can do. Even worse then what Josh did.

• Like 6
  • Sad 7
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

Derick called in to Dave Ramsey's show, for advice on what to do with Jill's $50K advance. Sounds like they are doing well financially.

https://www.youtube.com/live/cC3TaTzWpxA?app=desktop&si=y0fgYG0GJJelq1QH&t=1h25m07s

Right off the bat, Derick is exaggerating on how much Jill will take home from that fifty grand.  Advances are income, they get taxed by both the IRS and the state.  And, agents take their cut from advances.  I assume Jill has an agent, it's standard practice in publishing at this level.  An agent is what gets you fifty grand instead of half that.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my goodness. Anyone else laughing at Derick calling into a public show sharing private business? 

He so obviously misses ranting on twitter. Calling Ramsey is his "professional" way of letting the haters know that he has money.

• Like 9
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh my goodness. Anyone else laughing at Derick calling into a public show sharing private business? 

I didn't listen to the whole segment, but I did laugh at his "longtime listener, first-time caller."  It also was feeling like this was pre-arranged to sell more copies of Jill's book with the added benefit of sticking it to JB.  

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

He is absolutely ridiculous and so much like JB. I've never listened to Ramsey (I can't take anyone or anything that fundies support seriously), but I know enough about him to have a pretty good idea of what he'd suggest for a $50K windfall (that will probably be 30K when all is said and done). But longtime listener Derick just has to call in? Yeah, this is absolutely a prearranged mutual advertisement. I expect that Jill will eventually post a glowing review of Ramsey and how his super unique, specialized advice help her family.

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
11 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I expect that Jill will eventually post a glowing review of Ramsey and how his super unique, specialized advice help her family.

Derick and Jill have been praising Ramsey for years, Dave is just repaying them here.  I did listen long enough to catch Derick admit someone from Dave's organization or family had reached out to Jill.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4

I listened to Dave Ramsey years ago - before he became syndicated - when I was driving to or from work (2 different jobs).  I am now ashamed to even admit that I did though. 
This seemed like a humble brag from Derick. "See how young we are and are completely debt free and how much money we made from my wife's story."  And if I'm completely honest with myself, I will admit I'm jealous to be that young and debt-free.  He is like JB more than he would ever want to admit.  

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Right off the bat, Derick is exaggerating on how much Jill will take home from that fifty grand.  Advances are income, they get taxed by both the IRS and the state.  And, agents take their cut from advances.  I assume Jill has an agent, it's standard practice in publishing at this level.  An agent is what gets you fifty grand instead of half that.

I wonder if the 50k was their take home cut out of a 100k advance?

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

I wonder if the 50k was their take home cut out of a 100k advance?

It might be or Jill got a 150k advance.  Derick did say Jill got the 50k on release day which is in line with how advances are usually doled out.  Typical advances are distributed in thirds--one third when the deal is reached, one third when you complete the manuscript, and the final third on release day.  Advances are supposed to help an author pay their bills while completing the manuscript, and most authors get a book deal based on a proposal and not a completed manuscript.  The first third tides you over while writing the book, the second tides you over during the editorial process, and the final one is payment for all the work to get to release day.  And then, royalties kick in months or years later when the book earns out per your contract.  Jill had help writing this book, so she got her deal based on the proposal she and Derick have been shopping around for a while.  

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 9

Wow! I thought debt free for them would be debt free besides a mortgage (which i know Ramsey doesn't believe in but most people have to get.) He said the house is fully paid for. How on earth? 

He also said their emergency fund is $50K. So it was $0 before the check?

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • Like 4

My sister is a trained Dave Ramsey Financial Freedom and/or Financial Peace leader at her church. She says certain mortgage debt is ok by Dave's teaching. I can't remember the specifics, but something like no more than x amount of income and no more than a 15yr mortgage. Then pay of early if possible.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 6
51 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill had help writing this book, so she got her deal based on the proposal she and Derick have been shopping around for a while.  

Jill told her story to a writer.  Jill can't write anything without like, ya know, like a lot of like ya know, YAY type kinda stuff, like ya know? 

She & Derrick told her story and answered questions.

A WRITER wrote the book. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 8
11 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

My sister is a trained Dave Ramsey Financial Freedom and/or Financial Peace leader at her church. She says certain mortgage debt is ok by Dave's teaching. I can't remember the specifics, but something like no more than x amount of income and no more than a 15yr mortgage. Then pay of early if possible.

Yes, he prefers buying a house with cash but accepts that in high cost areas in particular it may be necessary. 

• LOL 4
29 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Wow! I thought debt free for them would be debt free besides a mortgage (which i know Ramsey doesn't believe in but most people have to get.) He said the house is fully paid for. How on earth? 

Derick is being Derick here.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, Dehumidifier said:

I think they used a chunk of Jill's payout to buy their first home. If they made some money off that and got a good deal on the home they're in, I could see them possibly owning the house outright.

With that said, I would be surprised if they did own the house outright. First because the numbers would be super tight and because Derick is known to stretch the truth.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Derick is being Derick here.  

He even started the call with "Welcome Derick" and then laughed at himself. I've heard callers to radio stations do that, so I get it. They're usually on hold for a long time. I listened to the whole segment. I think Derick is proud of having a paid off mortgage and the max he can contribute to retirement. And actually, it is impressive that they're debt free at such a young age. I have heard him express admiration for Dave Ramsey. We used DR's snowball plan to knock down our credit card debt many years ago, though we never paid for any of his information. I know Derick isn't too popular here, but I don't blame Derick for being proud of the way they are handling their finances, especially for going to law school and upping his earning potential. I detest JimBob and I think Jill and Derick have every right to write the book and to show JB they don't need him to live their best lives. 

• Like 10
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

He even started the call with "Welcome Derick" and then laughed at himself. I've heard callers to radio stations do that, so I get it. They're usually on hold for a long time. I listened to the whole segment. I think Derick is proud of having a paid off mortgage and the max he can contribute to retirement. And actually, it is impressive that they're debt free at such a young age. I have heard him express admiration for Dave Ramsey. We used DR's snowball plan to knock down our credit card debt many years ago, though we never paid for any of his information. I know Derick isn't too popular here, but I don't blame Derick for being proud of the way they are handling their finances, especially for going to law school and upping his earning potential. I detest JimBob and I think Jill and Derick have every right to write the book and to show JB they don't need him to live their best lives. 

Oh, when I say Derick is being Derick, I'm thinking of some of his past tweets.  Like when he claimed to have worked since the age of 5 or when he claimed Jill is more educated than some random Twitter user (and all other snarkers).  The man will stretch the truth to fit whatever narrative he is currently pushing.  He's on Dave Ramsey's show, so naturally he's going to paint him and Jill as perfect adherents to Dave Ramsey's methods.  He also used the show to brag about Jill's advance from her publisher while conveniently leaving out things like her agent's cut and taxes.  Yes, Gallery Books cut her a check for 50 grand, but that is not the amount of money Jill and Derick get to keep.  

• Like 10
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I know Derick isn't too popular here, but I don't blame Derick for being proud of the way they are handling their finances, especially for going to law school and upping his earning potential. I detest JimBob and I think Jill and Derick have every right to write the book and to show JB they don't need him to live their best lives. 

I'd be more impressed if he earned the money like the average 34 year old. In the 9 years since we've 'known' him he spent 2 years begging for donations and has worked less than 3 years.

Well I guess in one way that in and of itself is pretty impressive as I don't know of any typical person who can say they worked for 3 years and own a home debt free.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Like 10
  • LOL 2

I imagine Dickhead's bragging about the piles of money they've made on publishing the Duggar saga is going to make all of Jill's siblings SO proud of her. All that cash for her & Dillwad to spew out every story.  Just gets the warm fuzzies going. 

That's sure going to make them desperate to bring her back into the family fold, because it's all truth, according to Jill & Dillweed.     Yep, the 5 little Dillards are all set.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I don’t think $50K is enough for a family of five, even given where they live.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

I don’t think $50K is enough for a family of five, even given where they live.

If Derick is telling the truth and their house is paid off, so are their cars, Derick has paid off his student loans, and they are properly insured. then 50k is enough of an emergency fund.  Honestly, it's more than enough to cover their expenses for 6 months or less if Derick found himself unable to work.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
56 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'd be more impressed if he earned the money like the average 34 year old. In the 9 years since we've 'known' him he spent 2 years begging for donations and has worked less than 3 years.

Well I guess in one way that in and of itself is pretty impressive as I don't know of any typical person who can say they worked for 3 years and own a home debt free.

Imagine essentially marrying into money and then bragging about your financial acumen. It's very "born on third and thinks he hit a triple."

17 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

Derick’s law school loans are paid off?

From what I understand, he only needed loans for part of his tuition, since he paid a chunk of it with the JB payout and he claims he recieved a partial scholarship as well.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
42 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

Is this really an unusual thing?  I can fault Derick and Jill for a lot of things but using this money to pay for law school was an investment in their future that makes sense.

It's normal but for me everything with Derick is mixed. On one hand it's normal for a couple to use the money to pay for law school. On the other hand it was with money that Jill earned for over a decade and never got paid for while Derick hasn't had a job since the early days of their marriage. After Walmart he did nothing but live off his wife's money. I'm glad he finally got a job. He had plenty of time after leaving Walmart and then the show to get a job but didn't. It would have been nice if had gotten a job sooner.

• Like 16
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

It's normal but for me everything with Derick is mixed. On one hand it's normal for a couple to use the money to pay for law school. On the other hand it was with money that Jill earned for over a decade and never got paid for while Derick hasn't had a job since the early days of their marriage. After Walmart he did nothing but live off his wife's money. I'm glad he finally got a job. He had plenty of time after leaving Walmart and then the show to get a job but didn't. It would have been nice if had gotten a job sooner.

Given that Jill and Derrick choose to have combined finances and share all expenses (which isn’t unusual for married couples) I wouldn’t say he went to law school on “Jill’s money”- yes it’s money she earned and brought into the marriage to support THEM (their family, including the kids). Derrick is employed now, and uses that money to support the family (along with Jill’s influencing and book sales etc), seems like they are a dual income household pooling all their resources together. Nothing dishonest or disingenuous about that. 

Married people have a legal obligation to financially support each other so I’m not going to give Derrick flack for living off of Jill no more than I would her for living off of him. BUT I agree that in their culture the man I supposed to financially provide yet many of these fundy men have no problem letting their wives influencer income fund their lifestyle- not just supplement, FUND, so I side eye that. But Derrick hasn’t lamented that he’s only supposed to provide financially etc. If Jill wanted an education or an outside of the home career I think he’d be supportive. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1

@GeeGolly Thanks so much for expanding a little bit- I appreciate it and understand where you’re coming from.

I have been very privileged in my life to be given a leg up financially with schooling etc, and I am very aware that allows me to make choices others aren’t allowed to make. Derrick would do better promoting his beliefs on living debt free if he started with that “We had a really great start, and to continue to pass that onto our kids we decided to use the money on schooling and living debt free to give our kids an even better head start.”

A little humility and self awareness makes you more relatable- but this is DERRICK so yeah I’m not shocked. 

• Like 18
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

The average family of 5 can pay over $1000 per month for insurance even when an employer provides "full" coverage.  I imagine Dillwads attorney job covers that, a retirement account and some other benefits.   But 15+ years of child raising costs is a significant outlay. 

Paid-off cars like the crap they drive need to be maintained, then replaced.  Kids have school costs.  Israel alone is gonna need major dental.  House maintenance increases, and If she spits out another kid, that's even more. 

If something happens to Dillwad, she'll get an insurance payout then nothing.  

She better hope he stays healthy, because she has ZERO to fall back on.  No skills, no experience & very little family support.  So the "debt free" standing is precarious. 

One accident with Jilly-Muffin posting on Instagram while driving, and it can all be gone. 

Dillwad should dial back the self-congratulations, or he's going to challenge Josh for the title of most smug Duggar.  But he can't do that.  

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, Notabug said:

While I agree, Jill and Derrick are debt-free due to some fortunate circumstances; I do have to give them some credit for seemingly making good financial decisions with the money they received.

That’s where I stand too. Jill EARNED that money on reality tv- spending it on a home and education was very prudent, rather than squandering it (I love spending money on fun as much as the next person, but you have to take care of responsibilities first). 

My Mom paid for my undergrad, and my biggest adult regret is not going to law school for free on scholarship(I took out loans and went to a more prestigious school and graduated in the middle of the Great Recession). Derrick not having law school debt is a GOOD thing. If he’s encouraging others to do that I think that’s a good thing- doesn’t make him a saint but I can agree with him and give him credit for that. 

Of course I’d never condemn someone with school debt (or more than I had)- not everyone has parents who can or will assist them in that way. 

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
On 10/7/2023 at 4:32 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

I recall my mother's in home hospice coming every day. Can't say for my dad, since they set up his space, but he died the next day. 

I don't believe JL had hospice. It wasn't mentioned in either of the Duggar tomes. I bet JB sees hospice as a weekness, an inability to take care of his family "in house."

Same here. My mom just had in-home hospice care as she stayed with us in the final four months of her life. They came once a week to start, and we didn't need the extra aides, social workers and such that we could have used. In the final couple of weeks, when she was bedridden, the nurse came every couple of days, as did the aides, to help with sponge baths and such. I can't say enough about how great they were.

• Like 14
  • Hugs 2
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

But sure, Derick goes on the Ramsey radio show and tells the listeners they are living debt free, but leaves out some very crucial details. 

I would be willing to bet money that the call was for no other purpose than to scratch each other's backs. DR gets a minor celebrity on the show talking about how following his advice led to them being debt free so young (um, sure....), and Derrick gets to plug Jill's book. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement.  

Which is fine. I know that happens. But when both sides try to always portray themselves as honest and genuine, I roll my eyes a bit at the act.

25 minutes ago, deaja said:

I would be willing to bet money that the call was for no other purpose than to scratch each other's backs. DR gets a minor celebrity on the show talking about how following his advice led to them being debt free so young (um, sure....), and Derrick gets to plug Jill's book. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement.  

Which is fine. I know that happens. But when both sides try to always portray themselves as honest and genuine, I roll my eyes a bit at the act.

Yes it was a pre-arranged promo. Radio call in hosts don't normally look at their screen and say "you're first name/LAST name and your wife is first name/LAST name" and then add "she wrote a book."

If a caller starts saying their last name the host will cut them off, try to stop it.

• Like 5
  • Useful 5
2 hours ago, deaja said:

Where Derick is concerned I do more than roll my eyes. He's been on a 3 year campaign to repair his reputation, culminating with Jill's book, yet he hasn't changed. He will always be a liar that lies.

He could have went on the show and explained they made some bad financial choices, like quitting his job before he should have. He could have mentioned going on a mission trip while growing a family put them further in debt. He could have mentioned spending another year trying to attempt some church certificate/job thing probably should have waited until they had an income. He could have said their mistakes were so bad they needed SNAP.

Then he could have said when they received some unexpected money, they didn't want to repeat their mistakes and made some sound financial plans going forward.

If Derick was truthful throughout, he could have even thrown in a quid pro quo lie like, and following you (Ramsey) was helpful in our becoming debt free. And no one would have blinked an eye.

What a great, inspiring and truthful story that would have been.

But nope, Derick's been working since he was 5, so all is good.

• Like 11
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Then Derick and Jill did a year(?) in Nepal.

I never can figure out if it was a year or two or somewhere in between, but it was in Central America rather than Nepal once they were married.

I agree, though, that he had a rather protracted sojourn of unemployment or "work" that I side-eye at calling work. I've said this on here before, but I've been curious to see, long-term, how Derick handles a job after the newness wears off. We are the same age, and I have quite a few friends who burn through jobs at the same pace he does--and some more rapidly. All of them were excellent students and even were good coworkers when we had a work-study job together, but they just do not handle real-world jobs well at all. They seem to need the structure school provides, and I have wondered if he is the same way. 

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I never can figure out if it was a year or two or somewhere in between, but it was in Central America rather than Nepal once they were married.

I agree, though, that he had a rather protracted sojourn of unemployment or "work" that I side-eye at calling work. I've said this on here before, but I've been curious to see, long-term, how Derick handles a job after the newness wears off. We are the same age, and I have quite a few friends who burn through jobs at the same pace he does--and some more rapidly. All of them were excellent students and even were good coworkers when we had a work-study job together, but they just do not handle real-world jobs well at all. They seem to need the structure school provides, and I have wondered if he is the same way. 

Oh right, Central America. Thank you I corrected it.

I agree as of yet Derick makes a better student than employee and I too know other folks like him.

I think its the structureless structure, if you will, that appeals to lifetime students. They have freedom, yet clear guidelines and deadlines. Work often consists of little freedom and messy guidelines and deadlines.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1

Derwood needs to remember that stuff about pride going before a fall.  As @GeeGollysaid he could have put together a great narrative that came across more humble and grateful for what he has and gotten in a much more effective plug for DR's program.  People love a good redemption story like that, saying we made some mistakes along the way, but then got ourselves together with the help of DR and look where we are now.  Thanks, DR.

I think they do own the house outright, which is great for them.  When I was laid off, I could have lasted for several years on my emergency fund if I hadn't had a mortgage.  I think they had a mortgage on the first house, but they still had a good down payment.  When they sold, they made a significant profit (someone here shared the public records) and they had been in the house for a while.  So if they were paying down the principle on the loan, the outstanding balance would not have eaten much of the profit they made.  In addition, they had the advance for the book that could have covered the rest of the new house cost.

My problem is that he came across like a smug braggart.  He needs to realize that their lives could have turned out much differently without some very good fortune.  Jill and Sam could have died during Sam's birth, Sam could have had a serious disability, etc.  They have been truly blessed to come through all of this as well as they have, so a little humility wouldn't hurt.  I know this was a quid pro quo with DR, but it really lands badly for me.

• Like 18
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh right, Central America. Thank you I corrected it.

I agree as of yet Derick makes a better student than employee and I too know other folks like him.

I think its the structureless structure, if you will, that appeals to lifetime students. They have freedom, yet clear guidelines and deadlines. Work often consists of little freedom and messy guidelines and deadlines.

You're welcome and agreed on the likely appeal. I've even had friends tell me they miss being graded because they felt like expectations were a lot clearer for them in an academic context. Derick may well stick with the law, but I can't say I'd be surprised if he's moved on to another career in a few years. 

• Like 8