Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Don't most people hope for the second child to be the opposite of the first?

No.

6 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I was hoping for a girl, but it does seem like Jill does a good job at being a "boy mom."  Now if she will actually go to a hospital rather than attempt another home birth, I will be impressed with her.  
When do the results of the February bar test come out?  I wonder if Derick tried it again, and if so - the big question - did he pass? If he didn't, what he will try next?   

Is raising a girl really that different from raising a boy? I hate that “boy mom” BS. Just raise them as people and let them develop their own personalities. 🤷‍♀️

3 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Nothing wrong with wanting a little grand daughter to dress up and do girly things with, but she does seem to love her grandsons very much. 

Not all girls want to do “girly things.” She might just be happy playing with her brothers.

• Love 24
44 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

No.

Is raising a girl really that different from raising a boy? I hate that “boy mom” BS. Just raise them as people and let them develop their own personalities. 🤷‍♀️

Not all girls want to do “girly things.” She might just be happy playing with her brothers.

Yup. They're human. Not much, or any, difference in raising different sexes. Don't get me wrong, I wanted at least one of each, but buying a truck or a tutu is just that. Energy wise, attitudes, interests, etc are as diverse as the kid, but not unique to male or female.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 19
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yup. They're human. Not much, or any, difference in raising different sexes. Don't get me wrong, I wanted at least one of each, but buying a truck or a tutu is just that. Energy wise, attitudes, interests, etc are as diverse as the kid, but not unique to male or female.

And sometimes little girls want the trucks and little boys want the tutus . . .

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Well, I think in they do and I don't see what's sad about it. What's sad is countries where they abort female fetuses.

Huh? I was simply saying that I know parents who didn’t care about the sex of their kids. 🤷‍♀️ #facts

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 8

As a boy mom, I have to say that little girls are overrated. The only time I became sad about not having a girl was when I walked through the stores around Easter and the First Communion dresses were on display.  That being said, I’m more sad that boy #3 will not be as close in age to his brothers as #1 and #2. Part of me hopes that she goes for a 4th baby that is close in age to #3 so he has a playmate close to his age. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

And put a sad emoji.

I said "most." 

Yes, I find that assumption to be sad. And haven’t experienced it being true for “most” people I’ve known. Gender stereotypes are harmful, imo. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 11
16 minutes ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

As a boy mom, I have to say that little girls are overrated. The only time I became sad about not having a girl was when I walked through the stores around Easter and the First Communion dresses were on display.  That being said, I’m more sad that boy #3 will not be as close in age to his brothers as #1 and #2. Part of me hopes that she goes for a 4th baby that is close in age to #3 so he has a playmate close to his age. 

As somehow with two nephews and now a much younger niece the first time I walked in Kohl's after she was born and looked at the clothes I thought "girls are dangerous!"

Edited by Dehumidifier
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Of course, she might. I didn't mean to make it sound sexist, I was just saying what Cathy might be feeling. I will admit if I had a girl (I have a boy), I would go doll crazy (though I despise frills and pink), but ultimately, it would be that child's choice as to what they want to play with or dress up as. 

An ex-classmate of mine married later in life to a  younger woman. After two sons, they had a daughter. His wife went crazy with the princess dresses, play tiaras.... she posted on FB that one morning, she was asking her daughter what princess dress she wanted to wear to school and the little girl, who I believe is in first grade, said "Mom, I don't really like princess dresses". She was sad but realized each child is unique.  

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 5

If the February bar results come out on similar timing to the July results, we have about a week to wait.  

I was thinking about Derick's office.  If he passes the bar and gets a job, then maybe they could redo that room as a playroom or at least storage for the in-house toys to make the living room a bit cleaner and tidier looking.  I could see him needing a dedicated place to study during law school and bar prep, but he'll hopefully have an outside the house office to work in soon.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

Maybe it's my immigrant working class upbringing but I can't understand having kids share bedrooms when there are more than enough rooms to go around. Why have an office unless you work from home and legitimately need an office? Why have a dedicated guest room when you have people living in the home who don't have their own rooms? I can see using a room for storage if there's no basement, attic, or closet space, but otherwise it's weird at best, and evidence that kids are unimportant at worst.

To be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with sharing a bedroom. I didn't have my own room until my second year of college. I just can't understand the Duggar insistence on wasting square footage on bullshit. 

I, for one, am always thrilled that one less girl will be born into that cesspit of a religion. YAY!

You explained exactly what I was trying to express.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

If the February bar results come out on similar timing to the July results, we have about a week to wait.  

I was thinking about Derick's office.  If he passes the bar and gets a job, then maybe they could redo that room as a playroom or at least storage for the in-house toys to make the living room a bit cleaner and tidier looking.  I could see him needing a dedicated place to study during law school and bar prep, but he'll hopefully have an outside the house office to work in soon.  

I agree. But I also thought the guest room could have been an office/guest room this whole time, or at least the boys could have had the guest room as their bedroom because its much bigger. They do have a garage that I'm guessing could be used for some storage, plus the closets in the two 'extra' bedrooms.

I grow up sharing a room and we didn't have a play room, but we were free range kids who were out in the neighborhood a lot. At one point though, when we were older, my mother did make a space in the (mildly creepy) basement for a pool/ping pong table.

Fortunately when my kids were young they had a tiny playroom which was great for a place to play, hide the mess and watch TV. We never thought of making it an office or guest room - because, you know, our kids lived in our home - everyday - and they mattered.

Like @lascuba said, the Dillards and Seewalds seem to have their priorities backwards.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Mabel = Mothers Always Bring Extra Love. Yes, I watched Mad About You. 

That's cute.  My grandmother, a Mabel would've appreciated that.  Her sister's name was Hazel so great-grandparents must've been into -el endings too.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

Ichabod 

Izzy and Ichy “Icky”

That's my cat's name... Ichabod Crane! We didn't  name him, the shelter did. We called him Icky but spoiled jerk is an Ichabod.  He is a pain but I love him. 

1 hour ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I'm sure they'll use an A name to spell out Israel. 

Ace?

Axel? 

I like Axel.

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, beckie said:

If they're trying to spell Israel, wouldn't they use an R name?

She named her miscarriage River.

Personally I don't think she's going to spell Israel any more than I thought Jessa would give Fern a "T" name...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

She named her miscarriage River.

Personally I don't think she's going to spell Israel any more than I thought Jessa would give Fern a "T" name...

Do you think she even realized the “S-H-I…” situation?

• LOL 9
6 hours ago, lascuba said:

Maybe it's my immigrant working class upbringing but I can't understand having kids share bedrooms when there are more than enough rooms to go around. Why have an office unless you work from home and legitimately need an office? Why have a dedicated guest room when you have people living in the home who don't have their own rooms? I can see using a room for storage if there's no basement, attic, or closet space, but otherwise it's weird at best, and evidence that kids are unimportant at worst.

To be clear, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with sharing a bedroom. I didn't have my own room until my second year of college. I just can't understand the Duggar insistence on wasting square footage on bullshit. 

I, for one, am always thrilled that one less girl will be born into that cesspit of a religion. YAY!

I agree on all counts. If you have people in your household who do not have their own space, don't dedicate your extra space to a dedicated guest room and a dedicated office. "Wasting square footage on bullshit," indeed. I shared a room in a mobile home with my sister until I was 15 so I see nothing wrong with sharing, per se, it's just that the Duggar paradigm puts no value on kids except as numbers.

I also agree that it's good not to have another girl in this cult.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree. But I also thought the guest room could have been an office/guest room this whole time, or at least the boys could have had the guest room as their bedroom because its much bigger. They do have a garage that I'm guessing could be used for some storage, plus the closets in the two 'extra' bedrooms.

I grow up sharing a room and we didn't have a play room, but we were free range kids who were out in the neighborhood a lot. At one point though, when we were older, my mother did make a space in the (mildly creepy) basement for a pool/ping pong table.

Fortunately when my kids were young they had a tiny playroom which was great for a place to play, hide the mess and watch TV. We never thought of making it an office or guest room - because, you know, our kids lived in our home - everyday - and they mattered.

Like @lascuba said, the Dillards and Seewalds seem to have their priorities backwards.

Exactly. The Duggar/Dillard approach tells kids they don't matter.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

IMO, Jessa keeps the kids in their room for two reasons: she's lazy and she's not into sex. It has nothing to do with what is good or comfortable for the kids.

It was MANY years ago, but I don’t remember there being any problem having sex with a sleeping infant in a bassinet next to our bed. 🤣

Edited by Love2dance
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, lascuba said:

They could keep Sam in the bunk bed room and give Israel the double bed/guest room. Then if they actually have guests, just clean up Israel’s room and have Izzy bunk with Sam for the night/week. I’m not opposed to kids sharing rooms, but they shouldn’t overcrowd them.  

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Did Jessa even have a bassinet, or did she co-sleep? Where is the baby plant sleeping these days? 

From the pictures and videos they have shown it appears they co-sleep for a year or so and then transition the baby to their own small mattress on the floor in the parents' bedroom. At one point Spurge was transitioned to the spare room into a toddler bed and Henry and Ivy were still sleeping with Ben and Jessa. I believe they moved Henry to Spurge's room when Jessa was pregnant with Fern and moved Ivy shortly before Fern was born.

I believe they are still co-sleeping with Fern.

• Useful 2

Just a refresher of their house layout. The office is bedroom 4. From pictures and videos, the office has a desk, and a harp in it, without much floor space left. I was trying to  find room dimensions, but didn’t have any luck.

7D95113E-C4D6-4591-A573-71A00D5A1156.jpeg

BC0CE10B-0B8E-4750-8FB0-81E8ECFD218F.jpeg

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

So there is no bigger child's room for sharing. Basically all the same size.

Yes, I did remember the guest room as bigger, its not. But the office is a little bigger. It doesn't change the fact the boys are squished into one bedroom, in a 4 bedroom house.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes, I did remember the guest room as bigger, its not. But the office is a little bigger. It doesn't change the fact the boys are squished into one bedroom, in a 4 bedroom house.

Derick will have to have his office in the garage in the future. I doubt that they put both cars, or even one, in the garage.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

Derick will have to have his office in the garage in the future. I doubt that they put both cars, or even one, in the garage.

Why does Derick need an office?

• Love 3

These people let their children sleep wherever they drop.  They play and do their things  wherever they find themselves, and seem to eat at whatever time, and in whatever place they find something that might be edible to shove in their faces.  They get piled into "bedrooms" like cordwood. 

The builder's intent for a room is immaterial.  Their brains simply do not function on that logical level.  

I'm just amazed any of them use the bathroom for it's intended purpose.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

I don't know but everyone on House Hunters seems to need one!

I suspect this is the reason:

If you use part of your home exclusively and regularly for conducting business, you may be able to deduct expenses such as mortgage interest, insurance, utilities, repairs, and depreciation for that area. You need to figure out the percentage of your home devoted to your business activities, utilities, repairs, and depreciation.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/home-office-deduction-at-a-glance

House Hunters:

He: I'm a lineman for the county.

She: I'm a singer in a traveling minstrel show.

We: need a home office!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Did Jessa even have a bassinet, or did she co-sleep? Where is the baby plant sleeping these days? 

Of course she co-sleeps!  How could you forget that photo Jessa posted of baby spitup all over her sheets.  She even admitted it was days (or weeks?) old!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

I don't think Grub Hub will allow their employees to claim house depreciation and utilities as an expense.  Oil changes, maybe. 

Derwick is so far past his accounting days at Walmart, I doubt anybody would trust him to do their taxes.   The one person they know with complicated enough taxes to need a pro is the one that probably wouldn't hire him in a million years: Jim Bob. 

Everybody else can use Turbo Tax for $49.99.  Even Anna with all her LLC's and IOU's and FU's.   

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 5