Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Jill posted a picture on IG and she looks really nice. She also did a story, they are at an empty playground she has tested negative. Sounds like she read the guidelines about when you are contagious as she was saying when they got sick and how long it has been.  She knows she will get flack for going out. One thing she does better than Jessa is how she responds (or ignores) criticism.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbQPAnwrRGB/

• Love 3
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I think it's probable that Izzy brought it home from school, so he would be the first to test out. 

Apparently Izzy never tested positive but Jill assumes he had it. Derick has only tested once - 11 days ago and at one point Sam tested positive. I'm guessing Jill and Izzy are the only ones who tested more than once because of the baby and school. 

• Love 2

When Jill first announced they had it, she didn't say anything about the kids. Today is the first acknowledgement of any test at all for the boys. Everyone else had it, maybe Izzy was asymptomatic for days before J/D got sick. And then, possibly, he was already cleared. 

Even if he was negative the entire time, could he be allowed to go to school with everyone else in his family positive? 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

When Jill first announced they had it, she didn't say anything about the kids. Today is the first acknowledgement of any test at all for the boys. Everyone else had it, maybe Izzy was asymptomatic for days before J/D got sick. And then, possibly, he was already cleared. 

Even if he was negative the entire time, could he be allowed to go to school with everyone else in his family positive? 

At my kid's school, yes.

• Useful 2

Has Izzy been going to school? I thought the reason Jill assumed his negative tests were wrong was because he was sick/symptomatic.

While each school district is different many have done away with quarantine and testing all together. Parents are now encouraged not to send sick and/or exposed children to school.

I hope Jill is feeling better. She sounded pretty lousy 11 days in, so I'm guessing it wasn't a mild case of covid. At least they'll all make it through the rest of her pregnancy with immunity.

• Useful 2

My son tested positive a week today, and I tested positive on Thursday.  He had a mild case and is going back to school today. I'm having a rougher time. Are there complications for pregnant women? Does covid affect the baby? 

3 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

My son tested positive a week today, and I tested positive on Thursday.  He had a mild case and is going back to school today. I'm having a rougher time. Are there complications for pregnant women? Does covid affect the baby? 

Women who are pregnant and contract COVID are more likely to suffer complications and end up in the hospital, more likely to be in ICU and to need a ventilator.  The death rate is higher.  We don't have a lot of long term data on babies born to COVID positive women, but certainly premature delivery is more common in women with severe COVID.

• Useful 9
  • Love 9

Do we even know if Jill is getting "normal" prenatal care, or is she seeing an untrained midwife as before?  In the past, she felt she knew everything, until she didn't and ended up with emergency hospital births.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Women who are pregnant and contract COVID are more likely to suffer complications and end up in the hospital, more likely to be in ICU and to need a ventilator.  The death rate is higher.  We don't have a lot of long term data on babies born to COVID positive women, but certainly premature delivery is more common in women with severe COVID.

Thank you for the info! 

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Do we even know if Jill is getting "normal" prenatal care, or is she seeing an untrained midwife as before?  In the past, she felt she knew everything, until she didn't and ended up with emergency hospital births.

Jill hasn't said a thing about it.  I suspect she's getting care with one of her lay midwife buddies and plans to go into labor and try to deliver vaginally at home.  I've known a few lay midwives and they tend to be stubbornly insistent that it is perfectly reasonable and safe for anyone to deliver vaginally at home, no matter what their prior history.  I could see Jill buying that in a big way and thinking she's done everything she can.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 4

The obsession with home births is actually not really a fundie thing anymore. The biggest, most obnoxious advocates of home births nowadays seem to be these granola-eating, star-chart reading, new Agey types. I've even heard talk that if you can't have a home birth it's better just to "seed" your kids. 

Anyway Jill did sound really weak. My guess is Izzy had a case but was asymptomatic. Many kids tend to be.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The obsession with home births is actually not really a fundie thing anymore. The biggest, most obnoxious advocates of home births nowadays seem to be these granola-eating, star-chart reading, new Agey types. I've even heard talk that if you can't have a home birth it's better just to "seed" your kids. 

Anyway Jill did sound really weak. My guess is Izzy had a case but was asymptomatic. Many kids tend to be.

Where do you hear this kind of talk?

3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Thanks! I might be slow, but what does “seed” mean in this context?

"Seed" means you just spill the seed onto the ground rather than uh ... to fertilize someone. In other words, if you can't have "natural" birth, better not get pregnant.

• LOL 1
28 minutes ago, Triple P said:

Cathy will be devastated. I hope she isn't salty with Jill about it this time. It's Derrick's "fault" that another boy is on the way.

Was Cathy stupid/mean enough to be disappointed that Israel or Samuel were boys? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, SMama said:

Was Cathy stupid/mean enough to be disappointed that Israel or Samuel were boys? 

She's never opined either way. She seems content with all the grandsons. If she wants a granddaughter, she's keeping it to herself.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Although we don't know for sure, Derick does seem to be unemployed at this time. I wonder what kind of insurance the Dillards have. Samaritan? Obamacare? Medicaid? None?

I hope Derick saved a little of Jill's payoff, as this could be another expensive birth. Maybe they'll YouTube it to help defray the costs.

• Useful 2

I was hoping for a girl, but it does seem like Jill does a good job at being a "boy mom."  Now if she will actually go to a hospital rather than attempt another home birth, I will be impressed with her.  
When do the results of the February bar test come out?  I wonder if Derick tried it again, and if so - the big question - did he pass? If he didn't, what he will try next?   

• Love 4
10 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

She's never opined either way. She seems content with all the grandsons. If she wants a granddaughter, she's keeping it to herself.

Nothing wrong with wanting a little grand daughter to dress up and do girly things with, but she does seem to love her grandsons very much. 

• Love 9

I'm betting if it had a been a girl, there would have been WAY more "pizzazz" in the announcement.  

Dorkwad is probably thrilled to have another penis to project his Pistol Pete dreams onto. 

• LOL 2
26 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

I'm betting if it had a been a girl, there would have been WAY more "pizzazz" in the announcement.  

Dorkwad is probably thrilled to have another penis to project his Pistol Pete dreams onto. 

I’ve said this before, if Derick’s ambition for a legacy of Pistol Petes leads to his three sons going to OSU, it will be a win for the boys. I have less hope for a girl. 

50 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Nothing wrong with wanting a little grand daughter to dress up and do girly things with, but she does seem to love her grandsons very much. 

I agree, but to be visibly disappointed about something the mother has no control over is cruel. 

• Love 12
45 minutes ago, anyasmom said:

At least they will be able to save some money by using hand-me-down clothes and baby gear.

Oh no. I hope they flip them to the bigger bedroom and not try and put three boys in that tiny room.

When they put the bunkbeds up they hadn't taken down Sam's crib yet, so they know it fits. The room can't be bigger than 8' x 8'.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Oh no. I hope they flip them to the bigger bedroom and not try and put three boys in that tiny room.

When they put the bunkbeds up they hadn't taken down Sam's crib yet, so they know it fits. The room can't be bigger than 8' x 8'.

I don't think it's awful to have them all in there -- if it's just for sleeping, and they have a playroom. It's going to be problematic for Izzy, though, to have to deal with the nighttime wakings of a baby when he has to be up in the morning for school. Jill, of course, has no frame of reference for that, and she does have a frame of reference for just stacking all children of the same gender into a single bedroom until it's well past stuffed.

It might make sense to keep the small bedroom as a baby/toddler room, and let Izzy move into the bigger room. Sam can graduate to the "big boy" room when he starts school.

I really hope that this is the last baby for them, but I think Jill will keep agitating until they have at least one girl.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think it's awful to have them all in there -- if it's just for sleeping, and they have a playroom. It's going to be problematic for Izzy, though, to have to deal with the nighttime wakings of a baby when he has to be up in the morning for school. Jill, of course, has no frame of reference for that, and she does have a frame of reference for just stacking all children of the same gender into a single bedroom until it's well past stuffed.

It might make sense to keep the small bedroom as a baby/toddler room, and let Izzy move into the bigger room. Sam can graduate to the "big boy" room when he starts school.

I really hope that this is the last baby for them, but I think Jill will keep agitating until they have at least one girl.

They don't have a play room. Their toys are in the living room. The other room is a guest room and storage area that the boys aren't allowed in without permission. There's actually a fourth bedroom off the living that Derick uses for an office, that would make an ideal playroom. The boys aren't allowed in there either.

I just feel bad for the Dillard and Seewald kids. The Duggars are supposedly all about kids, yet their rooms are tiny and void of personality. It'd be one thing if the parents didn't put effort into any bedrooms, but they do. They put effort into their own. Hopefully the Seewald kids will get upgrades when they move.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Sam starts kindergarten in the fall. Does anyone know if the Dillards keep the babies in their bedroom like the Seewalds? 

15 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

I can picture the self-satisfied smirk on Jessa's face.  Obviously God loves her more than Jill, since she got a girl on #3.  And #4.   

Of course, being Pez Dispenser 2.0 is all she has. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, SMama said:

Sam starts kindergarten in the fall. Does anyone know if the Dillards keep the babies in their bedroom like the Seewalds? 

Since Jill breastfeeds, I imagine the baby will be in the bedroom with her for at least the first few months.

• Useful 4
Just now, SMama said:

I don't think Jill keeps the babies in their room beyond a couple/few months.

IMO, Jessa keeps the kids in their room for two reasons: she's lazy and she's not into sex. It has nothing to do with what is good or comfortable for the kids.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm kind of bummed Jill is having a boy. I think a little girl would've been a nice way to round out the family. I'm sure Derick is thrilled but I wonder if Jill isn't a bit disappointed. 

I used to work with a woman who had a later in life pregnancy after her two daughters.  Yes, part of her wanted a boy, but she admitted that she was happy with a girl because she knew what she was getting into.  Jill can very well be the same way.  

• Love 14
2 hours ago, SMama said:

I agree, but to be visibly disappointed about something the mother has no control over is cruel. 

Well, you take that chance when you make what used to be a simple phone call or written birth announcement into a big party with decorations, fireworks, cannons.

• Love 4