Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Zella said:

Today, I've been wondering if an additional source of stress for Jill is realizing the exact nature of her family's fame, if that makes any sense. Reality TV tends to focus on people who are either supposed to be somehow interesting (they teach you how to do things or go places you've never been) or ones that appeal to a much baser morbid curiosity (the equivalent of a modern-day freak show.)

I'm sure Jill has always thought her family was featured on TV and famous because they had something to legitimately teach the world about their way of life. Her blog seems like a very misguided continuation of that belief. However, as she continues to get piled on for her terrible recipes and inept domestic advice, I'm wondering if she is starting to realize that her family was famous, not because most people think they have anything worthwhile to teach the rest of us but instead out of morbid curiosity about them. I could see her doubling-down even harder on her nostalgia for her childhood as an act of denial. 

All possible but I don’t give Jill credit for having that insight. 

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

All possible but I don’t give Jill credit for having that insight. 

I agree that she's not self aware or self reflective at all! It would be more of a subconscious realization if she had it. 

• Love 10

I'm assuming you get the breaded, fried chicken beasts to use in the recipes, and I'm not sure how that will work out. Chik-Fil-A has an almost sugary sweet taste to me, so I can't see using their chicken in Parm or Enchiladas. Maybe they'll use different seasonings? Either way, it sounds like something Jill would be all over as long as there's no big words on the recipe cards.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Zella said:

Today, I've been wondering if an additional source of stress for Jill is realizing the exact nature of her family's fame, if that makes any sense. Reality TV tends to focus on people who are either supposed to be somehow interesting (they teach you how to do things or go places you've never been) or ones that appeal to a much baser morbid curiosity (the equivalent of a modern-day freak show.)

I'm sure Jill has always thought her family was featured on TV and famous because they had something to legitimately teach the world about their way of life. Her blog seems like a very misguided continuation of that belief. However, as she continues to get piled on for her terrible recipes and inept domestic advice, I'm wondering if she is starting to realize that her family was famous, not because most people think they have anything worthwhile to teach the rest of us but instead out of morbid curiosity about them. I could see her doubling-down even harder on her nostalgia for her childhood as an act of denial. 

I absolutely agree.  It''s taken her 15 years to realize that most people don't watch the show to admire them & aspire to be like them, but to make fun of and judge them.  

Girl is NOT the brightest crayon in the box.  

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

Does a pot roast take much effort or preparation? Does it need to be cut with a knife? Michelle doesn’t do any of those things. 

It doesn't need to.  Of course, you can take the time to season and brown the meet, chop fresh herbs ( or measure out dried ones), wash, peel and chop fresh vegetables, add red wine, etc.

On super lazy days, I've plopped a frozen roast on to a bed of whole potatoes and carrots, sprinkled on aus jus dry packets, added a dash of red wine, put the lid on and called it good!

• Love 6
On 7/20/2018 at 8:21 PM, graefin said:

It's like they 1) are so inflexible they can't adjust themselves to go "off script" and 2) don't realize that kids can be talked to and reasoned with. Derick did the same kind of thing in the video where he was reading a story to both of them, and Sam just wasn't interested and instead wanted to get down from the chair. Rather than just let him go, Derick clung to him and continued reading; the more he held on, the more Sam struggled to break free, yet Derick was not to be deterred even though everyone was clearly distracted and the kids couldn't even follow what was being said. I mean, what was even the point anymore other than Derick asserting his will just because he could?

I wonder what Derick/Jill believe the goal of parenting is? They don't seem to think it's important to listen to their children. Israel obviously wanted attention here, and either parent could have simply taken a moment to acknowledge him. Unfortunately for his kids, he responds to them in pretty much the same childish, snarky way he does to users on Twitter ("You already know how to walk").

compliance or as we heard Anna say, instant obedience 

On 7/21/2018 at 5:24 AM, ginger90 said:

Easy Slow Cooked Pot Roast Recipe

Jul 21, 2018 | Recipes | 0 

Pot roasts are always a nice meal to come home to after church on Sunday or on a rainy day. When slow cooked, they make the whole house smell delicious! This recipe is super easy!

1 roast (3-5lb.)

2 (1lb.) bags baby carrots

3 lbs (about 9 small/medium) potatoes, whole or cut into large cubes

4 beef bouillon cubes

Place thawed roast in bottom of crock pot. Scrub the potatoes and rinse. Add to crock pot. Pour bags of carrots on top and toss in unwrapped bouillon cubes into pot. Slow cook on low for about 10-12 hours. Serve!

FDAD1321-50A6-40E8-A8B4-95CE65FAF072.jpeg

82D2E0B8-1E50-4811-BC18-F6C377EBDEE3.jpeg

That is the saddest crockpot meal I have seen

• Love 9
On 7/22/2018 at 4:59 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

I don't actually watch the show so I don't know, but is it possible that MEchelle might have occasionally had a Suzy Homemaker moment and resolved (for all of two meals before she lost interest) to be the perfect mother who put her all into serving nutritious and delicious meals for her children? They might have been exceedingly rare occurrences, but maybe Jill's mind just glommed onto them and filled in all the months of tater tot casserole and chickenetti with memories of dinners made with care.

I kind of doubt it, given that everything she has posted from the Duggar Family culinary archives is more or less a sodium bomb held together with cheese and cream of glop. The "huge salads" of her memory were doubtless either multiple bags of salad mixes, or a few chopped heads of romaine or even iceberg lettuce drenched in dressing. Even all that homemade bread was likely Pillsbury...though of all the possibilities of things that might have been homemade, I can see someone (probably Jana) finding satisfaction in actually baking bread. There is something very therapeutic about the process.

My thought is they had salad and homemade bread when the love offering for the week included those items.  Otherwise, it was forage for whatever was there or some casserole of questionable ingredients made with additions of child hair and spit.

On 7/22/2018 at 8:12 AM, queenanne said:

Someone used to make the same type of mixture for my BIL and he's clearly never gotten over it, because any time my mother makes an ambrosia-style side to relieve Thanksgiving monotony from the savories (usually canned fruit and whipped cream to save time, as she's making a lot of things from scratch including gravy), he accuses her of putting mayo in it and refuses to touch it.  (Though, in defense of your grandmother, isn't Thousand Island dressing, mayonnaise mixed with catsup?  clearly someone thinks that mayonnaise works with a sweet.) 

As for the "big green salads", I feel like Jill harps on the "big green salads" because she's internalized that "big green salads are healthy and people like hearing talk about them; thus I can save my parents from talk about how hideous and nonstop processed our childhood diet was."  I mean... at this point she at least has to have enough in-laws that she knows this isn't everyone's diet, doesn't she?  

My father as a kid (he was born in '37) would be fed jello with mayo so he occasionally wanted it as an adult.  It really squicked me out.  I have a thing with mayo.  Don't want to smell it, touch it, eat it.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

My thought is they had salad and homemade bread when the love offering for the week included those items.  Otherwise, it was forage for whatever was there or some casserole of questionable ingredients made with additions of child hair and spit.

My father as a kid (he was born in '37) would be fed jello with mayo so he occasionally wanted it as an adult.  It really squicked me out.  I have a thing with mayo.  Don't want to smell it, touch it, eat it.

Natalie, you don't even want to KNOW what my ex-coworker said about mayo...except that it involved something a cat does.

Mr. Xword's cousin was adverse to anything with vinegar, so my MIL always made a special potato salad for her for family get-togethers, with no mayo.  

Seriously, mayo with Jello?  I don't mind mayo mixed with tuna or the like, but in Jello?  Uh-uh.

Jill is really doing her best to stay relevant.  I don't even want to imagine what she fixes for her kids.  Dillweed deserves whatever glob she concocts, the more unpalatable, the better.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Save the bundt pans!  They are making a huge comeback.  There is a very popular cake store here called Nothing But Bundts.  They may be other places as well.  

You know if Jill entered into this whole thing as an amateur and said that she doesn't know how to do a lot of this stuff, is learning and come along for the ride, it might be sort of endearing.  She comes across as trying to teach us all something and well, honey, that's just silly.

@ Natalie68 we have Nothing Bundt Cakes!!! The lemon and the red velvet are to die for especially the mini bundtlettes.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
Damn allergy medicine
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

So like any trained chicken they just keep tapping the levers that fed them...courtships, weddings, pregnancies, babies. Ad infinitum and ad nauseum.

I love this characterization of the Duggar spawn.

• Love 12
(edited)
5 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Izzy looks scared to death or like he's just been punished, and Samuel is way too big for that infant seat. 

And Jill's dress is spectacularly ill-fitting in the bust area and Dreck is wearing fugly shoes with pants and sleeves that are too long. Fail.

Edited to note that the framing of the photo is also a fail. You're not supposed to include the sign that says "photo booth," idjits.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

So like any trained chicken they just keep tapping the levers that fed them...courtships, weddings, pregnancies, babies. Ad infinitum and ad nauseum.

This is without a doubt the most accurate description of the Duggars I’ve ever read.  Bravo!

• Love 12

Why can no one is this extended family figure out the inseam for a guy???  Also brown shoes - throw them out you two - they suck with your "dressy" wear.  And for the love of the Gods, Sammy has outgrown that infant car seat months ago!!

• Love 12

Was this Derick’s Cross Church graduation?

Why is it that every picture they take has Sammy on the floor in that car seat? Couldn’t one of them be bothered holding him for the picture?

Neither one of these idiots has a lick of common sense.

• Love 7
(edited)
4 minutes ago, bythelake said:

Was this Derick’s Cross Church graduation?

Why is it that every picture they take has Sammy on the floor in that car seat? Couldn’t one of them be bothered holding him for the picture?

Neither one of these idiots has a lick of common sense.

No, it was Josiah's wedding.

Edited by Sew Sumi

Izzy doesn't even look like Izzy to me. With his height, and his face looking quite different, it looks like they've grabbed some random disgruntled 5 year old to take a photo.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Izzy looks scared to death or like he's just been punished, and Samuel is way too big for that infant seat. 

Or bored, or farting, or wondering why the hell he has to wear those sandals. He looks like he's hitting stage two of life, growing up so fast! He is adorable though. My God that roast looked awful, and please sear it first! The chest area of her dress is.. not good. It looks uneven. Thanks to this board, every time I see Saumuel, my brain jumps right to Winston Churchill. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

No, it was Josiah's wedding.

Thanks @Sew Sumi. All the more reason to pick up your one year old for a family picture, rather than leave him as an after thought on the floor. 

Back to the graduation, which was supposed to be this past week, wonder when they have to vacate their student housing? 

I’m guessing Derick didn’t get any offers for a ministry, hence the law school speculation. Poor Derick, no job, no home, no clue.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

If  Dreck ever tries a case in front of a judge in a court of law, I will eat my hat....

I watched that movie this weekend. Love it.

I’m hoping they stuffed Sam into his infant seat just so he’d have somewhere to sit during the reception and that they’re not still using it on a daily basis.  Then again, these two are idiots so they probably do still use it.  That can’t be safe or comfortable.

• Love 3

Why don’t they use the umbrella stroller (by itself, not that dangerous hack with the car seat)?  That would be more comfortable for Sam and they wouldn’t have to lug the heavy car seat around. 

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Sammy is too big for the car seat, but he's also completely conked out, so no real point in taking him out for a picture to only wake him up. 

My sister used to work in retail selling baby stuff, she took multiple courses on car seat safety and installation.  She would've gone up to Jill and Derick and given them a piece of her mind.  One of her pet peeves was kids in seats that were clearly too small.  She used to say they'd be better off just buckled into an adult seat belt than to put them in a  car seat that wouldn't hold their weight and would probably lead to more serious injuries than if they hadn't been in one at all.  However, Jill and Derick are just dumb and I am sure this is the least of what they've done that has endangered their kids, starting with the ill advised attempts at homebirth.

• Love 15
14 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

@ Natalie68 we have Nothing Bundt Cakes!!! The lemon ang the red velvet are to due for especially the mini bundtlettes.

THAT is the one!  I screwed up the name.  It is very popular.  I haven't had one yet but they look good.  The mini's are what I have seen and I have been tempted.  Those two flavors sound really good!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, jcbrown said:

And Jill's dress is spectacularly ill-fitting in the bust area and Dreck is wearing fugly shoes with pants and sleeves that are too long. Fail.

Edited to note that the framing of the photo is also a fail. You're not supposed to include the sign that says "photo booth," idjits.

That and I just noticed her sandals.  The dress is way too dressy for brown leather sandals.  Come on Jill.  The Bates figure this stuff out and they are just as sheltered as you.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

My sister used to work in retail selling baby stuff, she took multiple courses on car seat safety and installation.  She would've gone up to Jill and Derick and given them a piece of her mind.  One of her pet peeves was kids in seats that were clearly too small.  She used to say they'd be better off just buckled into an adult seat belt than to put them in a  car seat that wouldn't hold their weight and would probably lead to more serious injuries than if they hadn't been in one at all.  However, Jill and Derick are just dumb and I am sure this is the least of what they've done that has endangered their kids, starting with the ill advised attempts at homebirth.

Speaks for it's self

• Love 6

It really, really, really pains me to defend Jill in any way shape or form, but without knowing Sam's weight we can't really know whether or not he's outgrown his seat. From that angle, it doesn't look like the top of his head is breaching the shell yet and until it does, as long as he is within the weight requirement, he still fits. Legs extending beyond the car seat may not look comfortable, but it doesn't actually effect whether or not a child is too big for the seat.  With the push for extended rear facing finally taking over in America, I'm actually kinda happy to see that he's still in a seat where we know he is absolutely, 100% still rear facing. And while the new recommendation is to switch to a convertible seat by their 1st birthday, that is a newer suggestion and Jill likely doesn't even know about it. 

To the videos Jill has been posting featuring Izzy, now that Jinger is free it's time to start chanting Free Israel. 

• Love 8
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

THAT is the one!  I screwed up the name.  It is very popular.  I haven't had one yet but they look good.  The mini's are what I have seen and I have been tempted.  Those two flavors sound really good!

White chocolate raspberry is good too.  Hell they’re all good. Red velvet goes fast though so I usually have to order those.  Oh, and the marble...sweet mother of Jesus the marble bundtlette!  Eat at your own risk. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

6 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

White chocolate raspberry is good too.  Hell they’re all good. Red velvet goes fast though so I usually have to order those.  Oh, and the marble...sweet mother of Jesus the marble bundtlette!  Eat at your own risk. 

My coworker brought one in for her birthday. OMG! The frosting, the cake....... OMG! 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I could see why Michelle would have created this baby hack twenty years ago. People didn’t know then what they know now.  But Jill has no excuse other than just parroting everything MOTY did.  Jill, they make this this called a travel system. You should invest in a good one since you’ll probably have a bajillion kids too.  Or at least a good baby carrier.  

4 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I could see why Michelle would have created this baby hack twenty years ago. People didn’t know then what they know now.  But Jill has no excuse other than just parroting everything MOTY did.  Jill, they make this this called a travel system. You should invest in a good one since you’ll probably have a bajillion kids too.  Or at least a good baby carrier.  

Assuming she is using the same stuff she had for Izzy for Sammy, the carseat will expire in the next 2-3 years. If she continues to space kids, the stroller will last---the seat won't. 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

It may just be safer I stay out of that joint!  I am such a cake person that this sounds seriously dangerous.  Its a slippery slope from getting 1 to well, I think I am going to need all of them.  

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

Assuming she is using the same stuff she had for Izzy for Sammy, the carseat will expire in the next 2-3 years. If she continues to space kids, the stroller will last---the seat won't. 

Yep, but she could invest in a nice Baby Jogger or Uppa Baby, and get new seats as she needs them.  A lot of baby stuff is way overpriced nowadays IMO, but if you desire a mega family, and your dad is loaded, why not make the investment.  It’s not like she won’t get her money’s worth from a $500 stroller.  It beats recreating that death trap on wheels.  

• Love 7
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Yep, but she could invest in a nice Baby Jogger or Uppa Baby, and get new seats as she needs them.  A lot of baby stuff is way overpriced nowadays IMO, but if you desire a mega family, and your dad is loaded, why not make the investment.  It’s not like she won’t get her money’s worth from a $500 stroller.  It beats recreating that death trap on wheels.  

Uppa baby is great. I just got one and had to really convince my hubby on why spending nearly 800 dollars on a stroller was a good idea. if you are planning on having kids close together in age it really is a great stroller for that ( converts to a double with a stepboard for a third older kid to ride). And I mean, she will likely be having infants for the next 10 years if things go her way so why wouldn't she want a high quality stroller that would last? She would get a ton of use out of it- way more than most other people. We use ours as the baby's bassinet right now too.

Also I've seen a TON of uppa babys for sale secondhand online, so she could really buy used and save.

Edited by yogi2014L
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

It really, really, really pains me to defend Jill in any way shape or form, but without knowing Sam's weight we can't really know whether or not he's outgrown his seat. From that angle, it doesn't look like the top of his head is breaching the shell yet and until it does, as long as he is within the weight requirement, he still fits. Legs extending beyond the car seat may not look comfortable, but it doesn't actually effect whether or not a child is too big for the seat.  With the push for extended rear facing finally taking over in America, I'm actually kinda happy to see that he's still in a seat where we know he is absolutely, 100% still rear facing. And while the new recommendation is to switch to a convertible seat by their 1st birthday, that is a newer suggestion and Jill likely doesn't even know about it. 

To the videos Jill has been posting featuring Izzy, now that Jinger is free it's time to start chanting Free Israel. 

We saw a family at Cracker Barrel Sunday after church and they had a little girl in her car seat that makes Sammy look way more comfortable than she was. Things have changed a lot since mine were in car seats but I think the weight and age determine when you graduate to a bigger seat. He looks too big but this is before his 1st b'day so technically by age he's suppose to use this seat.