Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

41 minutes ago, beckie said:

Josh knows how to get around monitoring software. It probably wouldn't take him long to figure out something.

And he'll still get caught. Probation can take any device he has used and look through it. It'll all be there - even if deleted.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
18 hours ago, merylinkid said:

By the time FF gets out, who knows what the internet, or whatever we will be using will look like.    I mean look how things have changed since 2012.   Online banking wasn't a big thing.   Video conferencing was a pain in the ass (okay it still is, but its a more widespread pain in the ass).   So who knows what the restrictions will really look like.    All that will matter is he has been locked up for 10 years.   And he will have to register as a sex offender.    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.

My MIL's partner went on a vacation paid by the government for about 15 years, when he got out he said that everything had changed so much and he had a hard time adjusting to it. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
15 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

My MIL's partner went on a vacation paid by the government for about 15 years, when he got out he said that everything had changed so much and he had a hard time adjusting to it. 

I've had clients with the same experience.

In the past 40 years we've gone from computers that took up an entire room, to ones that fit in our pocket. We've gone from wall phones, to phones we carry with us at all times. Snail mail to email. Encyclopedias and libraries to Google. Cassettes, to MP3 players, to CDs, to music streaming. VCRs to DVDs to streaming TV. Big box-like TVs to flat TVs. Paper maps to GPS. Checks to debit cards to Venmo. Even our paper money looks different and the list goes on and on.

For sure the world will be different when Josh gets out.

• Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Meh said:

"The FF has never done an honest days work in his life."

Isn't FF body shaming?  I really do not understand some of the rules here I guess? 

FF = Federal Felon 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

In the past 40 years we've gone from computers that took up an entire room, to ones that fit in our pocket. We've gone from wall phones, to phones we carry with us at all times. Snail mail to email. Encyclopedias and libraries to Google. Cassettes, to MP3 players, to CDs, to music streaming. VCRs to DVDs to streaming TV. Big box-like TVs to flat TVs. Paper maps to GPS. Checks to debit cards to Venmo. Even our paper money looks different and the list goes on and on.

On the news last night, there was a story about NASA's upcoming launch where they reminded us that there is more computing power in a personal smart phone today than NASA had available in its entire enterprise when it sent Apollo 11 to the moon.  It really is astounding how fast technology has changed.  Josh won't recognize it, which will slow him down, at least.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 4
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Notabug said:

On the news last night, there was a story about NASA's upcoming launch where they reminded us that there is more computing power in a personal smart phone today than NASA had available in its entire enterprise when it sent Apollo 11 to the moon.  It really is astounding how fast technology has changed.  Josh won't recognize it, which will slow him down, at least.

Yeah I'm actually reading Gene Kranz's memoir about his career in mission control and his description of what it was like in 1960 compared to 1969 is also pretty wild. They were having to physically update graphics while tracking rockets and using teletype to communicate with their observation posts around the world because they lacked computers with those capabilities. 

I imagine any sense Josh has of being tech savvy will be long gone when he finally gets out of jail and has to catch up on a decade of changes in technology. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Lots of permutations for FF. As long as the fat one isn't written out, there's nothing wrong with thinking it. 

Yeah, I tend to think FF = Fuckface.

It would be factually incorrect to state that Josh is thin, so when I think of "fat" I think of it as factually describing where he's at in terms of weight. With that said, his weight is not the characteristic he has that defines his despicability.  

• Like 7
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 8
On 8/27/2022 at 2:17 PM, GeeGolly said:

We moved house a couple of years ago and in the kitchen,  an old-fashioned phone was still attached to the wall. My kids were absolutely mesmerized and puzzled by the thing. How are you supposed to bring that phone when you go out, since it’s glued to the wall? And why is there a curly rope attached to the horn? Just some of the very funny questions we got😜.

I’m sure Josh will be shocked by all the changes to the world. But I’m equally sure he’ll figure things out soon enough. With the help from his dad and the church, he’ll probably be able to find a job or build a new business soon enough too. I doubt they’ll let him down. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, LilyD said:

With the help from his dad and the church, he’ll probably be able to find a job or build a new business soon enough too. I doubt they’ll let him down. 

I'd make that an alleged job and alleged new business, like the previous ones where he's worked so hard.

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 7

The sentencing transcript has been released. As would be expected there are parts that will be triggering. So far I know, page 76, 110, 111, and 112 should be avoided. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. The link will be in a spoiler so it can’t accidentally be clicked. I apologize if that’s not enough, and I’ll gladly delete if it is requested.

• Like 3
  • Useful 10
On 8/25/2022 at 7:34 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

This can vary greatly by institution and if it's available I'm sure it's extremely restricted.  Otherwise Josh would have a partition set up and a TOR browser installed in no time.  

I'm still not convinced Josh himself set up that partition and figured out how to evade Covenant Eyes alone.  Sure the instructions for doing it can be found online, but all this takes intelligence and determination, seemingly more than Josh possesses, plus searching for that kind of stuff on his own computer should have made Anna ask about it.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 2
13 minutes ago, Boxer Woman said:

I'm still not convinced Josh himself set up that partition and figured out how to evade Covenant Eyes alone.  Sure the instructions for doing it can be found online, but all this takes intelligence and determination, seemingly more than Josh possesses, plus searching for that kind of stuff on his own computer should have made Anna ask about it.

Who else would have helped him? Jana? No, he did it himself. Smuggar isn't as dumb as people think, and he's only lazy when he doesn't want to do something. That's not unique to Smuggar. 

As for Ofsmuggar, unless it triggered the Covenant Eyes BS, how would she have known? I doubt she was suspicious enough to check his search history every day. 

• Like 6
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Who else would have helped him? Jana? No, he did it himself. Smuggar isn't as dumb as people think, and he's only lazy when he doesn't want to do something. That's not unique to Smuggar. 

As for Ofsmuggar, unless it triggered the Covenant Eyes BS, how would she have known? I doubt she was suspicious enough to check his search history every day. 

Yeah I don't think Josh is a particularly motivated individual or is anywhere near as bright as he thinks he is, but I have no reason to doubt the current IT professional who knew him as a teen and testified at the trial that he considered Josh's tech skills sophisticated enough to have accomplished what he was accused of.

I often think about Jessa trying to defend Josh by saying he was sly, apparently unaware of how much worse it sounded. He's not a genius or a criminal mastermind, but I have no doubt that when he is motivated, he is very sly at getting what he wants. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
3 minutes ago, ChristmasCrafter said:

A friend and I were talking and I was wondering what Smuggar was thinking when the judge said guilty and sentenced him because he was sure that he was going to be declared innocent and be set free that day.

05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

• LOL 16
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

Looked to see if she had any road-trip posts since their anniversary was recent. For me her Instagram comes up as nonexistent. Just me? Sometimes I have problems with Instagram.

This is what I got.

Sorry, this page isn't available.

The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed. Go back to Instagram.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really expected Anna to keep up a steady Instagram presence, beating the “Innocent man falsely imprisoned” dead horse. I thought there would be a stream of stories about how bravely Josh is bearing up under his persecution, how many of his fellow convicts he has brought to Jesus and how they have faith that the Lord will vindicate him and bring him home soon. But she’s gone completely silent.

Perhaps reality has finally sunk in and she’s become too overwhelmed and depressed to make the effort. Or perhaps she’s stopped because she wasn’t getting the validation and praise she was expecting from her dwindling band of leghumpers. 

• Like 5
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I really expected Anna to keep up a steady Instagram presence, beating the “Innocent man falsely imprisoned” dead horse. I thought there would be a stream of stories about how bravely Josh is bearing up under his persecution, how many of his fellow convicts he has brought to Jesus and how they have faith that the Lord will vindicate him and bring him home soon. But she’s gone completely silent.

Perhaps reality has finally sunk in and she’s become too overwhelmed and depressed to make the effort. Or perhaps she’s stopped because she wasn’t getting the validation and praise she was expecting from her dwindling band of leghumpers. 

It might be a mix of both. Anna also does have 7 kids to care for which supports the “overwhelmed” theory. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Either Anna finally realized that she needed to delete her social media accounts, or was advised to do so by Josh's lawyers and/or family members or friends. I would have told her the same thing. Nothing she says on social media right now will be helpful for her, Josh or her kids, and deleting her accounts is, I think, the wisest/smartest thing she's done in several years. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11

Well, considering the FF's lawyers are supposed to be among the best at this sort of stuff and all they could come up with was the Eeeeeevil router and blaming some guy who was in jail at the time, I'd say their options are limited. 

• LOL 4
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm surprised that WOACB hasn't made a video about any appeal docs that should have dropped today. She's slipping! 😂

She's waiting for her secret special insider to give her all the unbelievable lies.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Appeal brief:

https://www.nwahomepage.com/news/josh-duggar-files-sealed-appeal-brief/

.From the article:

The document states three specific issues in requesting an appeal of Duggar’s conviction:

“Whether the district court violated Duggar’s constitutional right to present a complete defense by precluding Duggar from calling and, if necessary, impeaching a critical witness at trial.”

“Whether the district court erred by denying Duggar’s motion to suppress statements after a federal agent physically stopped him from contacting his attorney and subsequently interrogated him outside the presence of his counsel.”

“Whether the district court erred by permitting the Government’s expert to offer testimony on EXIF metadata and prohibiting Duggar’s expert from testifying to the unreliability of the methodology used by the Government’s expert.”

• Useful 3

I guess we should all feel relieved that they aren't trying the "The Homeland Security Secretary wasn't the legal Homeland Security secretary" argument again.

Which doesn't make these arguments all that much more convincing:

1. Although the judge did restrict certain questions, Josh was allowed to call Williams as a witness. 

I'll just add that Williams a) wanted to testify for the prosecution, not the defense, so this whole "the defense couldn't call him!" is....maybe not the best argument, and b) Williams has not exactly come across as the most trustworthy, reliable, honest person on the planet  - presumably why the prosecution decided not to put him on the witness stand. I'm not at all sure that his testimony would have made any difference to the jury - I think they would have come to about the same conclusion the rest of us did and just ignored him. And I think the same thing would happen in any retrial.

2. Josh wasn't arrested during the raid, which means that he was completely free to go, find another phone, and call an attorney. It is not the FBI's fault that he chose to open the conversation with "Are you here about CSAM?" instead of "I would like to speak to my attorney," or even "Can someone call my attorney for me?"

3. I mean, maybe, but the prosecution is allowed to call expert witness testimony, and this wasn't the only evidence offered at the trial.

I am kinda surprised that they aren't trying to appeal this on Fourth Amendment grounds - I wasn't that impressed with that argument, either, but it sounded more convincing than anything that they are offering here. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
32 minutes ago, Tdoc72 said:

He still manages to look smug in prison! 

Somebody said he's free of responsibility of wife and kids. Maybe he's happier.

Jim Bob and Michelle should crop the other guy out and put this picture in the Duggar family newsletter. The Daily Mail put the clean-cut picture of him and Anna there too. Before and after. 

If you don't want to know what crimes he did, don't read the article. It gets specific. 

Edited by babyhouseman
add words
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4
  • Love 3