Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

If Smuggar ends up in Florida then Pa Keller can go and minister him regularly. That would be an additional punishment. Plus Anna can live on the Keller compound with Nurthan and the other brother. 

That would be about a 4 hour commute.

• Useful 4
3 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Yeah, isn't there a prison much closer to the Kellers?

There are a few, but I’m basing it on him (if convicted) going to a SOMP facility. If he doesn’t then he could be sentenced to an Arkansas facility.

• Useful 4
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Some possibilities  for Josh:

FCI Seagoville (TX)

FCI Elkton (OH)

FCI Englewood (CO)

FCI Petersburg (VA)

FCI Marianna (FL)

USP Marion (IL)

USP Tucson (AZ) (unlikely)

Marion has had a particularly scary name for a long time.  Dunno if that's an obsolete reputation or not....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’m having a hard time imagining Anna taking all 7 kids to visit Smuggar in jail. Although, I guess someone can fly them all there. 

Duggar Helicopter lands in the Rec yard...

• LOL 9
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Duggar Helicopter lands in the Rec yard...

Lands 8 times in the rec yard....at lengthy intervals....

It's possible they've got a full-sized helicopter, but I've never seen anything but a two-seater.  

That'd be a pricey series of trips, fuel-wise. But I guess nothing's too good for the golden boy, is it? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Lands 8 times in the rec yard....at lengthy intervals....

It's possible they've got a full-sized helicopter, but I've never seen anything but a two-seater.  

That'd be a pricey series of trips, fuel-wise. But I guess nothing's too good for the golden boy, is it? 

Was thinking more a medic corps medivac….

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Was thinking more a medic corps medivac….

Does their nonprofit have a big helicopter now? When they went to the Bahamas, all i saw was a little two-seater! They sort of tried to hide it, but it seemed clear as day to me that that's what they had.....Nathan? flew over in it....and then used it for supposed reconnaissance of where help was needed? 

I didn't actually look at any picture of their Haiti crusade. So I guess things have changed, eh? And the additional people they're now hooked up with (???) have more experience and money? Baffles me that anybody with actual credentials or money or any desire for credibility would hook up with those clowns!  

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, SMama said:

Are children permitted to visit in federal prison? Especially if the pervert is housed with like minded men? My only experience is with state prisons. 

All I know about federal prisons I learned from watching Orange is the New Black; but they had children visiting their parents, even tiny babies.  One episode even had a sort of open house for the children of the inmates where there were carnival games and treats for the kids set up on the grounds of the prison.

Checking the federal prison website, the children of inmates are allowed to visit.  They also allow sibling visits which would probably include minor kids in a lot of cases.

Visitation takes place in a separate area away from the general prison population and is closely supervised by the guards; no other inmate is going to be able to get close to anyone else' kids.  There is, BTW, a strict dress code for prison visits which is not quite JRod style modesty, but doesn't allow miniskirts, sleeveless tops or anything that shows cleavage.

• Useful 13
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

All I know about federal prisons I learned from watching Orange is the New Black; but they had children visiting their parents, even tiny babies.  One episode even had a sort of open house for the children of the inmates where there were carnival games and treats for the kids set up on the grounds of the prison.

I can't imagine the M kids will be allowed to associate with other children. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I can't imagine the M kids will be allowed to associate with other children. 

They're not allowed to associate with other kids except family and maybe a couple church friends now; so it won't make much difference.  However, I am sure that their smug, superior parents will insist that their pure as the driven snow offspring not associate with the children of actual criminals, who, unlike Joshly, are actually guilty of their crimes and haven't been lead astray by satan and repented.

• Love 8

All I know about federal prisons I learned from watching Orange is the New Black; but they had children visiting their parents, even tiny babies.

It's a sex offender prison. Think it through.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

It's a sex offender prison. Think it through.

Federal prisons that house sex offenders also house prisoners convicted of other crimes.  It looks like all the prisoners who have visitors are in the same big visiting area and they are not separated from one another.   From what I can see online, kids are allowed to visit and they all end up visiting in a common hall and those convicted of sex offenses are right there with everyone else who has visitors.  I wouldn't like it, either, but it looks like it happens.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

They're not allowed to associate with other kids except family and maybe a couple church friends now; so it won't make much difference.  However, I am sure that their smug, superior parents will insist that their pure as the driven snow offspring not associate with the children of actual criminals, who, unlike Joshly, are actually guilty of their crimes and haven't been lead astray by satan and repented.

When I was still teaching music, I had two little girls in the same kindergarten class who, on the first day of school,  realized they knew each other because they played together when they were visiting their fathers in jail.  That would be an interesting experience for the kids, and for Anna.

• Love 5
On 9/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, Zella said:

I actually doubt she got paid for it, though I could be wrong. I think she gets some sort of weird satisfaction/affirmation as being treated as more important than she really is to the family by media whenever she leaks stuff. 

Was anything in that article even "insider information"?  I agree that there was little fact checking and it seems like People got the info off the Internet.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

Was anything in that article even "insider information"?  I agree that there was little fact checking and it seems like People got the info off the Internet.

They quote "a family source." People isn't a tabloid, and I've never really seen them trawl online for info like some other sites. I mostly know them, weirdly enough, for their true crime reporting, which is solid and respectable, if not exactly hard-hitting. 

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

They quote "a family source." People isn't a tabloid, and I've never really seen them trawl online for info like some other sites. I mostly know them, weirdly enough, for their true crime reporting, which is solid and respectable, if not exactly hard-hitting. 

I guess that's a good point.  I've always looked at People like it's a trash tabloid.  I just have a low opinion of this genre of publishing and figured that a family source is probably some worker in a grocery store who saw the family once.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

I guess that's a good point.  I've always looked at People like it's a trash tabloid.  I just have a low opinion of this genre of publishing and figured that a family source is probably some worker in a grocery store who saw the family once.

I have no great love for them, but I have never had any reason to doubt the general accuracy of People articles or their reporting. I'd 10 to 1 believe them over The Sun or the Daily Fail or the National Inquirer.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 16

I agree, People's not down at the bottom with the tabloid trash heaps and clickbait sites. Which is why I'm kind of scratching my head at the errors in the article. One, they said Josh hoped to avoid being "charged." (He has been charged, I'm sure they hope to avoid his being convicted.) And also, the flat statement that Jill hasn't seen her parents for two years. Also, wrong. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I have no great love for them, but I have never had any reason to doubt the general accuracy of People articles or their reporting. I'd 10 to 1 believe them over The Sun or the Daily Fail or the National Inquirer.

The Daily Fail is my secret guilty pleasure.  My BFF gives me hell about, noting I read the Wall Street Journal and where is my integrity.  But I know its trash!

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

I agree, People's not down at the bottom with the tabloid trash heaps and clickbait sites. Which is why I'm kind of scratching my head at the errors in the article. One, they said Josh hoped to avoid being "charged." (He has been charged, I'm sure they hope to avoid his being convicted.) And also, the flat statement that Jill hasn't seen her parents for two years. Also, wrong. 

Yeah that's a fair point. I was really baffled by the statement about him not being charged. Even if the source misspoke and said that, the writer or editors should have had a [sic] response to it.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

The Daily Fail is my secret guilty pleasure.  My BFF gives me hell about, noting I read the Wall Street Journal and where is my integrity.  But I know its trash!

I'm ashamed of how much TMZ I consume. I may have once told a coworker, "We can't conclusively say Tom Petty is dead. TMZ isn't reporting it." Which ended up being right, but the look of judgment on their face when I mentioned TMZ removed any sense of vindication in being technically correct. Lol 

• LOL 16
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm ashamed of how much TMZ I consume. I may have once told a coworker, "We can't conclusively say Tom Petty is dead. TMZ isn't reporting it." Which ended up being right, but the look of judgment on their face when I mentioned TMZ removed any sense of vindication in being technically correct. Lol 

If I recall, TMZ had the entire "Michael Jackson, Dead" story four hours before mainstream legit news orgs even hinted about it. There's something to be said for not having to confirm, like, facts.  I love reading the stories where "palace sources" say that they aren't suggesting Meghan Markle stole tchotchkes from the Queen's desk but they are pretty sure it wasn't anyone reputable.  

It's a fun way to while away the work hours!

Edited by hathorlive
Because I can't seem to form sentences today
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
Just now, hathorlive said:

If I recall, TMZ had the entire "Michael Jackson, Dead" story four hours before it was even hinted at it.  There's something to be said for not having to confirm, like, facts.  I love reading the stories where "palace sources" say that they aren't suggesting Meghan Markle stole tchotchkes from the Queen's desk but they are pretty sure it wasn't anyone reputable.  

It's a fun way to while away the work hours!

TMZ is actually really solid on the celebrity deaths because they have a well-developed system of sources, which dates back to Levin's time as a practicing attorney. They also broke the news on Prince, and even established newspapers and reporting institutions will take their reports seriously. That's why when they were not reporting Petty as dead when everyone else was, I put more credence on their reporting. 

But I generally don't want people to know I read their stuff because I feel like a lot of their other reporting is pretty icky and shameful. Not that it stops me from reading. . . . 

• Love 17
5 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah that's a fair point. I was really baffled by the statement about him not being charged. Even if the source misspoke and said that, the writer or editors should have had a [sic] response to it.

Possibly, like many others, they've just gotten sloppier as the demands of doing both print and online stuff have ramped up. Back when it was all paper, they could fact check a bit, copy edit and proofread. Now they have the massive web presence for which they can barely do any of those things. And it wouldn't surprise me if there's been a simultaneous dropoff in checking for stuff that goes in the print version. .... 

Pubs with both online and print versions have a huge amount of additional work they ought to do with all the extra copy they have.....

But at the same time all of them are coping with a dropoff in revenues. A dropoff in revenues combined with an exponential rise in copy means more sloppiness and amateur-hour performance everywhere. Not really an alternative, probably.....

Plus, they know that for stuff like this they're an entertainment gossip-as-candy rag. So it's not like it actually matters.

They're not writing about Joshie as crime news. They're writing about him as celeb crap. ..... The standards have always differed between the two. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

I've just been reading the DuggarsSnark subreddit and they're saying that the Prosecutors in Josh's case have asked for additional time to respond to the Defense motions from 2 weeks ago.  Originally they were supposed to reply by today, Sept 3rd. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I've just been reading the DuggarsSnark subreddit and they're saying that the Prosecutors in Josh's case have asked for additional time to respond to the Defense motions from 2 weeks ago.  Originally they were supposed to reply by today, Sept 3rd. 

Right. I heard they requested an extra week, so next Friday. Emily D. Baker didn't have anything new on her live that just ended, so I presume the extra time was granted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/1/2021 at 5:31 PM, sue450 said:

they are taught that  the man has NO CONTROL and if something happens it is the females fault no matter how young the age is

not only that but josh finally gave in and  admitted he did it and begged forgiveness only after they threatened to shave a girl/womans head  instead of his head (  women in that cult  it is gothards rule women must have long hair for their husbands it is their crowning glory..if they had shaved a womans head it would have been very traumatic for her  and  every where she would go people would see it 

he made anna carry the bags into the place they stayed for the honeymoon....and at 1 point she was on  trip VERY PREGNANT (he should have been kind and had her stay home)   she was walking up steep steps to go into the plane and he didn't even hold her hand to help her  up make sure she diddn't slip or trip

Yep, I had the same thoughts. I don’t think Josh has the ability to fake it in court that he is a doting husband and father. He is going to be yucking it up with the lawyers and be the pompous ass he always is.

• Love 11

I agree his legal team has sat him down and made everything crystal clear, but that doesn’t mean Smuggar accepts it, believes it, or will act accordingly. I think he’s too far gone mentally to accept what a lawyer tells him. 

is Anna going to bring a tiny, nursing baby to court? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

Kids will NOT be in a courtroom.   Most courts ban them.   Even family court you don't want the kids hearing mom and dad fight over them or hear all the details of why they are divorcing.  

In a federal criminal trial?   No way.   A judge will not allow it.   Kids don't need to hear it.   Kids also cannot sit quietly during the proceedings which is what EVERYONE must do.   So JB can't be sitting there loudly instructing his son how to behave either.

• Useful 5
  • Love 13

I suspect JB, Josh and Anna would expect to gain some sympathy points and to impress everyone with what a great father VolderJosh is to spawn such a brood. After all, Meechelle is mother of the year and we know how much quality parenting she did. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I suspect JB, Josh and Anna would expect to gain some sympathy points and to impress everyone with what a great father VolderJosh is to spawn such a brood. After all, Meechelle is mother of the year and we know how much quality parenting she did. 

I think more people would think they were idiots.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
29 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I think more people would think they were idiots.

Absolutely, and if I'm right, I'm betting Josh's imported legal team will point that out very firmly! But real reality and Gothard reality aren't quite the same thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was suggested at some point. 

• Love 8

If Anna did show up in the courtroom with any of the children, the judge would, no doubt, order them out as a potential disruption. Besides, given the nature of the charges, I wouldn't think she'd want her children, especially the older ones, to get wind of what was going on. She will be there, though, as will Boob and Meech. I don't think Boob will be able to resist telling reporters his good Christian golden boy is innocent. This assumes, of course, that Pest goes to trial. I think he'll take a plea deal, maybe plead guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for a light sentence. A trial is simply too risky. 

Edited by Hpmec
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Yep, I had the same thoughts. I don’t think Josh has the ability to fake it in court that he is a doting husband and father. He is going to be yucking it up with the lawyers and be the pompous ass he always is.

I doubt his attorneys will allow him to testify.

But based on previous photos and videos, he could still easily come across as obnoxious just sitting there silently. 

• Love 16

Anna and Magnolia will be there, and Anna will be sure to bring her Breast Friend cape. Obviously JB & M will be there. I doubt anyone else will show up, unless they want to bring Jed!, because, well, you know, he being a bigwig and all (😁).

Nobody under 21 should be allowed to be exposed to that shit, even if its in a court room.

• Love 12