Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Was the gender of baby number three announced at an African American church, and the one trainer who worked with JB and Josh also African American?

The Duggars seem to be obsess with their anti-abortion spiel to the masses. I cannot understand why anyone would use the Holocaust and Black History Month to make their anti-abortion message. Seriously... Next they will use what happen to Native Americans to spread God's Army message by comparing the battles with the white man and life on reservations to abortions.

I wonder if they believe in interracial marriage. What if a fundie black dude or woman wants to court their kids? Which I doubt anyway. I don't see any gothard people who are black, Asian, Hispanic, only whites that's discrimination.(sarcasm) and why is everything compared to abortion? Abortion is a matter between a woman and her doctor.

Isn't Sierra Dominguez's (Jill's wedding planner) husband Hispanic and Gothardite?

• Love 1

In my experience, they talk a good game. And they try - I've known many Fundamentalists, even extreme fundamentalists who have adopted African American children, or had family members from different ethnicities that they willingly and gracefully took into their family.

But when it came to those children marrying into other Fundy families, that's where it nearly always fell apart. Almost all left the subculture.

• Love 1

Anna is an arrogant idiot. I have always seen her as someone who thinks she is better than those around her. She apparently needs help with the three children she has and continues to procreate.

It is rather ironic, isn't it? Anna is hell bent on ensuring all pregnancies are carried to term, yet she can't even handle her own three kids without the help of her SIL's. I guess she doesn't realize that not all mothers have an army of free child care waiting in the wings for them.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10

My mother had 5 pregnancies and 4 live births between the ages of 20 & 28, didn't drive, and had a husband in the army, so she was alone with us a lot, and had to take us everywhere on public transport. I laugh when I see Anna & Josh not being able to handle 3 kids when there's 2 of them around...having to get one of the Js in to help. As other posters have said, that right there is the biggest sign you shouldn't be having more.

• Love 8

I just had a horrible thought. If this baby is a girl, will Josh and Anna feel pressured to name her Michelle?

Not that it's a bad name, just naming it after that kewpie doll voice psycho who incubates and then shoves her infant to a sibling to raise? No bueno.

It'd be nice if they named one Mary - JimBob's mother does more work around that house than Michelle does.  They might feel like they should use Michelle in there somewhere, though, since Michael's middle name is James (though I always thought that was more after Josh's middle name than after JimBob.)

• Love 2

Other than "birth them" I still would like to know what Michelle has done or does to warrant children and/or grandchildren being named after HER? Yes, I agree that Mary Duggar should have been honored already by Jim Bob but she hasn't been recognized as of yet, which I find disrespectful of JB and Michelle. If Anna has a girl, I think it certainly should be Mary as a first name.

OH, BTW, nice to have you back, Spaghetti Tuesdays!

I wouldn't be surprised if they stay away from the name Mary, despite it being a family name, because of the Catholic connotations. Since Mary is a popular name for Catholics and we know they consider Catholics to be 'misguided' I think they would avoid anything that has that link. 

• Love 1

Something came to mind...since Josh and Anna are now in DC and seem to be getting invited to banquet/dinners which are semi-formal or formal sit down dinners, they are coming into contact with bottles of wine on tables, cash or open bars at these events, and music for couples to dance to in between courses...like the fancy 'up north' Italian weddings I remember going to. I wonder what they think about those things? All of that has been labeled as sinful, ungodly and taboo for them to even entertain the idea of...Jim Bob and Michelle were present too and went to the governor's inaugural ball dinner a little while ago and I'm sure were faced with those same things. Didn't they feel stupid watching nice married couples dance together? It obviously wasn't a sinful "dirty dancing" spectacle and no one fornicated on the dance floor, I'm sure... Do they realize how much out of society and the world they have placed themselves unnecessarily?

• Love 1

Something came to mind...since Josh and Anna are now in DC and seem to be getting invited to banquet/dinners which are semi-formal or formal sit down dinners, they are coming into contact with bottles of wine on tables, cash or open bars at these events, and music for couples to dance to in between courses...like the fancy 'up north' Italian weddings I remember going to. I wonder what they think about those things? All of that has been labeled as sinful, ungodly and taboo for them to even entertain the idea of...Jim Bob and Michelle were present too and went to the governor's inaugural ball dinner a little while ago and I'm sure were faced with those same things. Didn't they feel stupid watching nice married couples dance together? It obviously wasn't a sinful "dirty dancing" spectacle and no one fornicated on the dance floor, I'm sure... Do they realize how much out of society and the world they have placed themselves unnecessarily?

I have seen this phenomenon and it can be very difficult for the person who is suddenly realizing everything they were told to believe isn't quite accurate. I went to a conservative Christian college, although one that is considered ultra-liberal and dangerous by people like the Duggars. Anyway, it attracted a lot of kids raised to believe some of these legalistic ideas about what good Christians do and don't do. They don't dance. They don't watch movies. They certainly don't drink. They don't have sexual desires etc. Then when these kids would get to college they would meet people they respected, people who loved the Lord and were clearly devoted Christians. But *gasp* they had wine with dinner or they enjoyed an R rated movie. It was really confusing because they were taught to believe anyone who did those things could not be a good Christian but yet, here they were. I saw a lot of kids freaked out by this. It resulted in kids rebelling, severing ties with their parents, leaving the church (blaming Christianity for their confusion rather than their legalistic parents).

• Love 5

Josh strikes as the type who would totally stop by a fast food place on his way to work and on his way home after work...plus, eat the dinner Anna has prepared. Anna isn't why he's overweight.

I agree with you cus judging by your username, you would know :)
  • Love 2

I know. She's gonna pray on it. Cos that's what women do in Duggarville. Heaven forbid a wife have a job of her own!! That's a man's job!

Although I do wonder, if Josh would die early does Gothard-ism allow Anna to court again and remarry? Or is she considered damaged goods and doomed to die as a lonely widow?

I'm no expert in Gothardism but having come from a conservative christian background it's my experience that she'd be allowed to marry again no problem.  Most likely to a widower with young children in need of a mother figure but the answer would be yes.  

Hmmm… I'm curious about that too.  After all, she must have a man in control of her.  Would she revert back to her father in Florida?  Would Jim Boob take over the task and put them in another sector of the metal building?  Or, maybe John David could step in?  

I feel a little sick now.

This question kind of reminds me of Henry VIII and his problem with marrying his brother's widow (Katherine of Aragon) since the Old Testament in one case forbids this and in another commands it.  Yet another of the bible's contradictions....

I could see Josh taking online classes to be a Paralegal but telling people "I'm in law school". The Duggars have no problem stretching the truth when they need to.

A "pair of legal" whats???  LOL.  Sorry couldn't resist.  That's what everyone asked me when I was in training.

Anna is growing on me. Her comments about enjoying the children she has were a refreshing change to J'Chelle's Very Special Uterus. What a novel concept--have children, even a lot of them, but take the time to enjoy them. That's good parenting. I think moving away was very healthy for her and Josh. I bet they have a stash of Trojans in the bedside table. It sounds like they are consciously avoiding pregnancy right now.

Too late now that they are expecting #4.  So obviously they aren't using any form of birth control. Although I think I remember reading that breast feeding inhibits conception so maybe it took them awhile because she was still breast feeding Marcus?

3girls4us your comment about not naming a child Mary because of the Catholic connotation got me to think, which of course is an unusual activity!  Most of my mom's large family are devoted Baptist and my mom is the only Catholic, with her kids.  Her mom, my grandma, loved all her kids so much I think she would accept it if they turned Pagan on her, but she'd rather they be good Baptists like her.  I have a cousin I have contact with now who mentions he is pentecostal and his FB posts are full of Brother Bud and Sister Sue all praying to the Lord.  So I looked up the Pentecostal Manifesto and was genuinely shocked to read such incorrect theologically but hateful speech about Catholics.  Yet he seems nice and the people themselves seem nice, so I don't know.  They'd do anythingg to get me to be Pentecostal but realize pretty damned quick from my personality that it ain't happening.  And I live 3000 miles away so am not available often.  But you are dead right, they wouldn't use the name Mary for that reason, I'm sure of it.

• Love 2

I have to say, deep in Fundy land, I know a lot of Mary's. But they all are, like Mary Duggar, rather old. The name is often paired with a second name, such as Mary Ellen or Mary Sue. But die hard Protestants had no problem with the name itself.

• Love 1

They should go full-on Southern style for M4 and name it "Mary-Josh." I know the following Southern babies with the Mary + father's naming convention:

Mary-Todd

Mary-Lloyd

Mary-Bruce

Mary-Brookes

• Love 1

It'd be fun and totally unlike them (and reality TV "stars" in general) to not find out the gender. Says me who has the 20wk ultrasound on Monday and is not going to find out. :)

Seriously though, I am surprised that neither People nor TLC has reported on it yet. That could be TLC's weird pretending that it's still last summer on the show despite many, many People interviews between then and now.

I don't know where y'all live, but from where I'm sitting, traditional, old-fashioned names seem all the rage. I know babies and tiny children named Walter, Hazel, Henry, and Ruth...all names that would have been considered ridiculously outdated when I was a kid 40+ years ago. I can't imagine Mary being rejected on the grounds that it's old-fashioned. And I've never ever encountered the notion of the name Mary being avoided by Protestants because it has strongly Catholic overtones. Then again, I've never been around very many Catholics, but I've always had a lot of Marys in my life.

Will someone PLEASE give Anna a grammar lesson? "So fun" is NOT correct English.. it is "so MUCH fun". This is a homeschooled individual that claims a home schooled curriculum is far superior to that of a classroom environment? I doubt it. I understand that many younger folks have adopted this type of grammar, but it is not correct...also the pronunciation of words like "the" when followed by a word beginning with a vowel, like oven, ice, etc...it should be pronounced "theeeee oven, theee ice" etc. Not a "short vowel sound,, but a long vowel sound". Just something that gets my goat about her...she's in no way more qualified to teach children into the 12th grade than Michelle is..I don't care what "play degree" she claims she has from that unaccredited online school she "graduated from". Thanks for letting me vent that, guys.

• Love 6

Will someone PLEASE give Anna a grammar lesson? "So fun" is NOT correct English.. it is "so MUCH fun". This is a homeschooled individual that claims a home schooled curriculum is far superior to that of a classroom environment? I doubt it. I understand that many younger folks have adopted this type of grammar, but it is not correct...also the pronunciation of words like "the" when followed by a word beginning with a vowel, like oven, ice, etc...it should be pronounced "theeeee oven, theee ice" etc. Not a "short vowel sound,, but a long vowel sound". Just something that gets my goat about her...she's in no way more qualified to teach children into the 12th grade than Michelle is..I don't care what "play degree" she claims she has from that unaccredited online school she "graduated from". Thanks for letting me vent that, guys.

100% agree.  All points I've been meaning to comment on myself, but something even more outrageous about the Duggars keeps popping up to distract me - LOL.

• Love 1

Maybe I'm just out of the loop since I'm going through a "just can't put up with sitting through an episode of this show" phase, but when is M4 due? Also, my theory on why the gender hasn't been announced is that between Jill 's wedding and insta-pregnancy and Jessa's wedding, TLC has plenty of other material right now.

I am assuming that with Josh's job they have decent medical insurance, so I hope Anna goes the hospital birth route thus time and treats herself to a nice epidural.

Edited by Libby96

Wikipedia agrees, but that makes her only just 20 weeks this past Friday, which I know because I'm due July 13 and am 20 weeks today. My OB practice does ultrasounds at 20 weeks (mine is this morning), so Anna may have only just found out. I thought she was further along than that, but maybe I was thinking Jill.

• Love 1

I don't think the "Mary association" with catholics has anything to do with the Duggars failure to name one of their children after Grandma Duggar. They simply don't have much respect for her (Jim Bob or Michelle). They named one of their sons Joseph, didn't they?, who is the earthly father of Jesus and someone in which the Catholic church honors as a major saint. Since the 10 Commandments clearly state 'Honor Thy Father and Mother", why would the Duggars go out of their way to NOT honor the mother of Jesus? After all, they wholeheartedly believe that THEIR children should love, honor and SERVE them don't they? They certainly named their children after themselves.

• Love 1

If they have a girl and don't name her Mary, I'd love to see a variation of Mary, such as Marissa, Maria, or Mariah.  Although Makenzie is somewhat of a trendy name, I'm glad that they have chosen nice, normal names for their boys instead of jumping on the trendy baby name bandwagon (I'm sure that if one of the younger girls had been a boy, we probably would have seen a Jayden in their lineup LOL).

Josh and Anna's big announcement: That would explain their radio silence recently. That family does everything publicity related.  Anyone notice that they "rotate" the storylines and publicity? It is timed and coordinated to take full advantage of the family's "happenings". They don't care which Duggar is receiving the publicity as long as it is spread out across the board and it is a "bloodline Duggar" receiving it.

I suspect their big announcement has to do with Anna's next blessing.

March 3rd is a Tuesday, Duggar night.

If they are having a girl, maybe they could choose Marie, Madison (as stated upthread), Melody, Maya, Martina, Mara, Melinda, Marjorie...lots of possibilities!

I think the big news will be about Josh and Anna.

Edited by purpleflowers

Agreed and that's why I'm hoping for a boy, Geml. I'm afraid that girls are seen as mommy-helper commodities and as Dr. Phil would say children shouldn't be brought into the world with a built-in job description.

If twins run in Josh's family, doesn't that increase Anna's chances or does it skip a generation?

Edited by msblossom

Josh's "big announcements" are always underwhelming. Even a twin announcement would be meh, no biggie. Twins are a dime a dozen these days. It sounds to me like Josh and Anna are feeling pressured now that they're no longer the only married couple amongst the siblings. They have to generate interest before they're left in the dust in favor of Jill and Jessa.

• Love 1