Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

One thing that I think she said (I don't remember if it was a direct quote or paraphrase) was that anger is ungodly.

which is totally supported by the thing in the new testament where Jesus set up a series of seminars at the temple to address the moneylender issue.

If she felt that Josh was losing interest I could see that fueling the baby fever. In her warped upbringing she was taught she is most desirable to men when she's fertile.

Since someone posted the bizarre schedule for times that Gothard damsels can't have sex, I've wondered if these women aren't pregnant all the time because when they're pregnant is really the only time their husbands get sex on demand.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 13

Ya know what? Now I understand something! Remember when Anna found out baby #4 was cooking? She said "This is the longest I've been without being pregnant" well I think it's safe to say we all know what took so long. Idk why that amused me so much but it's been floating in my head all day.

To be honest, it was only the "longest" she'd gone by less than a month. Michael and Marcus came at exactly two year intervals; Meredith came at 25 months. Not exactly earth-shaking here. 

• Love 6

I do not think Josh is an addict. I think he is either too lazy or brainwashed to think about what he really wants in life and how to get what he wants without the gravy train. I also think he never thought he would get caught.

• Love 6

Is Josh lazy? While I don't agree with FRC and I acknowledge that Josh was given the position only because of his celebrity, I do believe he worked hard in his role and enjoyed it.

Disobeying his father not only cuts off access to the family fortune, but Josh would also be exiled and wouldn't be allowed relationships with his siblings. Yeah, he molested a few but he did help raise the horde while his mother was completely checked out.

Josh isn't an addict. He was born into the wrong family. Like many men and women, Josh likes sex. No need to pathologize.

• Love 5

I'm genuinely curious, how many people here consider Josh to be an addict?

I believe Josh thinks he might be an addict, but after a thorough examination, I'm not at all sure a clinician would tag him as one. He certainly has any number of other problems, but I'm not sure about addiction. But he may have decided calling himself an addict will get him some leg-humper sympathy - and that it would remove some of the blame from him as well.

• Love 8

Is Josh lazy? While I don't agree with FRC and I acknowledge that Josh was given the position only because of his celebrity, I do believe he worked hard in his role and enjoyed it.

I think that Josh is very lazy, but I don't think he was lazy in DC. He was lazy about running the car lot, and he has been lazy about getting in shape, and he has been lazy about going back to school to get the degree he would have needed to get ahead in DC, but I don't think he was lazy about that job. I think that he really enjoyed that job, and that he believes that politics is his calling. I think that he was grateful to the patron who got him that job, and wanted to succeed at the FRC. I also think that he saw it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things in DC or Little Rock.

I think that Josh, like his parents, lacks empathy, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was most upset about the loss of his job -- more so than the loss of the reality tv show, more than the loss of respect from his brothers-in-law, more that the damage that has been done to his marriage. YMMV.

• Love 11

I've noticed that many kind-hearted, well-meaning, generous-of-spirit sister and brother posters have advanced the theory of IF ONLY -- that is, IF ONLY Josh could have attended law school, as he said he wished.

Josh barely has an 8th grade education, let alone an adequate high school education. College level? Hardly. I dont know what put law school on his wish list, but even if Jesus had somehow intervened and gave Josh a chance of admittance, how on earth could he have succeeded in any U.S. law school? It's ludicrously impossible and sad.

My opinion re whether Josh has an addiction: No, I think Josh has a sexual compulsion. He's been repressed and taught that sexual urges are ugly and sinful. So when his God-given, human sexuality stirs and excites, Josh thinks he is a sinner. I'm a little surprised at his chutzpah in seeking out the "dark side" of sexual experience. But there IS a level of bravery AND desperation (at the expense of his marriage) in seeking sex in strip clubs and from working girls. Anna is a victim of Josh's selfishness, for sure.

But this faux rehab Josh is imprisoned in can't have any long-ranging, positive effect. Pray-away is not real life. Prayer is a solace, an adjunct, a believer's support. But prayer is not hocus pocus. I feel very sorry for Josh Duggar, his wife and babes.

• Love 14

Blue Oyster Cult. The song is Don't Fear the Reaper. What is wrong with you people?

You guuuuuys have had me laughing for 2 days, and I sooooo needed that!!! Whoever said you can never hear that song without seeing the skit in your mind is exactly right! I also never hear "You Can Call Me Al" without seeing Chevy Chase, or "Don't Worry, Be Happy" without Billy Crystal. I neRly spewed water across the room when I saw where Aja had posted about CofCinci's "needs more cowbells". OMG, HILARIOUS!!!!!!
  • Love 11

The Duggars are big on parables. Josh's story is that of the Prodigal Son, the only difference being he is the 1st born, not the 2nd.

Whatever we think of RU and the Duggar parents, I think that JB & M believe the treatment will be helpful. They are probably at their wits end both as parents and as "The Duggars". 

With that said, many people who act out with drugs, sex, or whatever, often have an undiagnosed mental health issue, or at the very least become pathologically depressed and/or anxious when faced with confronting their problems. And if that is the case with Josh, then he is shit out of luck, because unfortunately, while someone's faith can be helpful on their journey to wellness, no one has yet to pray mental illness away.

My hope is that this shit storm allows the entire family to take their blinders off, take Gothard out of the picture, and revisit their beliefs in a healthier way.

• Love 3
"You can eat tomorrow. Set your alarm for 4:30."

That was 3 hours from now!  He'd never in his life gotten up that early! "Whoaa there ... maybe I need to explain Duggar time."

"The devil never sleeps, Josh. And neither will you."

Welcome to Camp Scamafundie.

Edited by cheatincheetos
  • Love 12

Well, even average people think they are smart, and Josh had absolutely no one else to compare himself to while he was in "school". I think that Josh thinks he is a genius who was just never give the chance. The FRC job was clearly that chance to him, though I cannot imagine that if he were doing some amazing job there that the FRC would not have found a way to keep Josh's job even after the molestation scandal. It was a make-work job, and some part of Josh must have known. That is why it was so easy to fire him; his purpose was to make the organization look good, not to do any actual work.

And besides, who's his role model? Josh was raised to believe that the strongest, smartest, hardest-working and most beloved of God human in his life was Jim Bob, and he had broken post-partum baby machine Michelle as a teacher. Say what you will about Josh, I don't doubt for a moment that he's more able than those two, and his siblings by birth order aren't allowed to be more able than he is.

I couldn't say how able he actually is, but his biggest barrier seems to be that he's a lazy, dishonest, self-indulgent, buffoonish bigot who wants contempt for women instutionalized because he's afraid of them (and with reason good - can you imagine what Jessa-Heather would have done to him if sticking up for him didn't make her Jim Bob and Michelle's best girl?). And he somehow has gotten the idea that he has a right to demand vagina access from women.

Which brings us neatly back to who's his role model?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 13

Ok you guys are evil, now I still have a BOC earworm and I'm still laughing about "more cowbell", my husband thinks I'm crazy. 

Hundfan- please write that funny Viking book. Or a (funny) crazy sexy fundy book. 

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 2

I've noticed that many kind-hearted, well-meaning, generous-of-spirit sister and brother posters have advanced the theory of IF ONLY -- that is, IF ONLY Josh could have attended law school, as he said he wished.

Josh barely has an 8th grade education, let alone an adequate high school education. College level? Hardly. I dont know what put law school on his wish list, but even if Jesus had somehow intervened and gave Josh a chance of admittance, how on earth could he have succeeded in any U.S. law school? It's ludicrously impossible and sad.

My opinion re whether Josh has an addiction: No, I think Josh has a sexual compulsion. He's been repressed and taught that sexual urges are ugly and sinful. So when his God-given, human sexuality stirs and excites, Josh thinks he is a sinner. I'm a little surprised at his chutzpah in seeking out the "dark side" of sexual experience. But there IS a level of bravery AND desperation (at the expense of his marriage) in seeking sex in strip clubs and from working girls. Anna is a victim of Josh's selfishness, for sure.

But this faux rehab Josh is imprisoned in can't have any long-ranging, positive effect. Pray-away is not real life. Prayer is a solace, an adjunct, a believer's support. But prayer is not hocus pocus. I feel very sorry for Josh Duggar, his wife and babes.

Excellent post !     Wanted to re-post and add that he was never a politician. He was involved with an organization identified as a hate group. He got to shake some hands, big deal.   

• Love 5

Excellent post !     Wanted to re-post and add that he was never a politician. He was involved with an organization identified as a hate group. He got to shake some hands, big deal.   

Which needs to be remembered whilst we're in the thick of things.  The FRC is named as a hate group by the esteemed Southern Poverty Law Center - it must never be forgotten.

• Love 16

Another thing that struck me about Anna and her constant baby fever. She's been taught that a woman's worth is in her fertility. Even assuming she didn't know Josh was cheating, it seems likely to me that she knew something wasn't right with the relationship. It probably affected the way he acted toward her and affected their intimacy (not just sex - but emotional intimacy as well). If she felt that Josh was losing interest I could see that fueling the baby fever. In her warped upbringing she was taught she is most desirable to men when she's fertile. So to her getting pregnant is probably the equivalent to meeting Josh at the door wrapped in saran wrap. She's being the best woman she can be trying to get her man's attention back. So very sad for a woman to feel that way. 

some people who cheat then over compensate, extra attentive, extra nice.  She may have thought things were superb!

"he has been lazy about getting in shape,"   I wonder if it is indulgence or depression that has led to his weight issue.  

Edited by Granny58

He got to be IMPORTANT. On his own, without JimBob or the rest of his family. He got to stand in front of people and they would listen while he told them who to hate and how much those people were going to hell and by definition, how much better he is.

It was the perfect storm for a repressed raging narcissist with ego and anger issues.

• Love 17

He got to be IMPORTANT. On his own, without JimBob or the rest of his family. He got to stand in front of people and they would listen while he told them who to hate and how much those people were going to hell and by definition, how much better he is.

It was the perfect storm for a repressed raging narcissist with ego and anger issues.

I also think he hates his father.     

• Love 16

The Duggars are big on parables. Josh's story is that of the Prodigal Son, the only difference being he is the 1st born, not the 2nd.

Whatever we think of RU and the Duggar parents, I think that JB & M believe the treatment will be helpful. They are probably at their wits end both as parents and as "The Duggars".

With that said, many people who act out with drugs, sex, or whatever, often have an undiagnosed mental health issue, or at the very least become pathologically depressed and/or anxious when faced with confronting their problems. And if that is the case with Josh, then he is shit out of luck, because unfortunately, while someone's faith can be helpful on their journey to wellness, no one has yet to pray mental illness away.

My hope is that this shit storm allows the entire family to take their blinders off, take Gothard out of the picture, and revisit their beliefs in a healthier way.

I'm not sure if JB & M are convinced in their hearts of hearts that this place will cure Josh of his issues - I think that rather they purpose for it to clean up Josh's public image (he was horrible, but see, he went into rehab and came out a reformed man), as well as their image of great parents (look, they took action! They sent their son to rehab! They're great, responsible parents).

• Love 1

Josh could reasonably be expected to be depressed from recent events in his life, but that can be overcome. My biggest concern is that 6 months of Josh doing busywork as a cure to a non existent addiction will make it "inappropriate" for Anna or Josh to discuss the real problems that will remain unaddressed.
  • Love 3

I also think he hates his father.     

You know I do too.  JB had 14 kids in 2 bedrooms most of Josh's childhood.  Josh complained about never being able to take a shower.  He thought JB's taking on building a house with the children was a stupid idea.  Also Josh was the first to enter the teen years with JB as a parent and we know JB doesn't mind the rod, so yeah I really think that he hates JB but like everything else he has to live like a hypocrite who has to pretend he loves him.

• Love 6

Nearly 3 hours?  I feel a lot of compassion for the people who got roped into this program.

That most definitely is cruel & abusive. Never mind the fact the the average person loses focus and interest in most things at around 1 1/2 hours.

Nearly 3 hours? I feel a lot of compassion for the people who got roped into this program.

I was gonna look and see if there was someone with Josh's bald spot in the audience, but not at 2:45 long. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

Nearly 3 hours?  I feel a lot of compassion for the people who got roped into this program.

It'll be 3 hours of bullshit that twists the mind with nonsense and will do absolutely nothing for these people other than give them a break from their labors of the week.

• Love 1

3 hours and they can't even smoke a joint to enjoy the amusement ride. That sucks.  They are going to be sitting there trying to figure out how to get to the nearest dealer.

That sermon would have made at least 86% more sense (and might actually even help someone) if they let the sinners take a few tokes first.

• Love 7

3 hours starting at 7 pm, and they've probably been awake since 4:30 am.

In the video "We are glad your here". And I skipped to 0:6:22 and there's the weirdest audio feedback loop going on.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

That sermon would have made at least 86% more sense (and might actually even help someone) if they let the sinners take a few tokes first.

Heck yeah - and let the speakers take a few tokes first, throw out the scripted bullshit they were going to say, pass around the pipe, light some incense and the success rate for understanding it all and actually helping people just unfolds like a beautiful flower.

After all Freedom, Not Sobriety, is our Goal.  See then it would make sense.

Edited by Defrauder
  • Love 5

I guess they don't have a proofreader or spell check on their website / live stream. The one line says "Welcome We are glad YOUR here." Instead of YOU ARE or YOU'RE. Maybe Josh can help them with the graphic designing of their website since he claims to be an expert & has had that computer business since he was a teenager.

• Love 10

I guess they don't have a proofreader or spell check on their website / live stream. The one line says "Welcome We are glad YOUR here." Instead of YOU ARE or YOU'RE. Maybe Josh can help them with the graphic designing of their website since he claims to be an expert & has had that computer business since he was a teenager.

In their defense, not a single "legitimate" visitor to their website would ever catch that error.

• Love 7

In their defense, not a single "legitimate" visitor to their website would ever catch that error.

True, and in there defense not a single 'legitimate' visitor to there website would ever catch the errors in my sentence.

• Love 12

some people who cheat then over compensate, extra attentive, extra nice.  She may have thought things were superb!

I know there were at least a couple times she posted pictures on Instagram of roses he'd gotten her "just because."

• Love 3

I know there were at least a couple times she posted pictures on Instagram of roses he'd gotten her "just because."

That's so sad. Every positive memory she has of her marriage is tainted.

• Love 13

Please tell me there's no semi-famous Mackynzie sex worker in the greater NWA area. They said that Josh picked the name...

It would not surprise me.  I wouldn't put anything past Josh.  I once knew a woman who, throughout her pregnancy, said that she would name her baby Maggie Elizabeth since that was her favorite name.  I lost touch with her for a while and bumped into her at the store with her six-month-old baby girl.  I asked the baby's name, knowing full well it would be Maggie.  To my surprise, she said, "This is Jennifer Elizabeth, but we call her Elizabeth."  I later learned that her husband insisted the baby be named Jennifer, and then later my friend found out that he had been having an affair throughout her pregnancy with a woman named....Jennifer.  How low can you be?  She had the good sense to divorce him, unlike Anna.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 11

It would not surprise me.  I wouldn't put anything past Josh.  I once knew a woman who, throughout her pregnancy, said that she would name her baby Maggie Elizabeth since that was her favorite name.  I lost touch with her for a while and bumped into her at the store with her six-month-old baby girl.  I asked the baby's name, knowing full well it would be Maggie.  To my surprise, she said, "This is Jennifer Elizabeth, but we call her Elizabeth."  I later learned that her husband insisted the baby be named Jennifer, and then later my friend found out that he had been having an affair throughout her pregnancy with a woman named....Jennifer.  How low can you be?  She had the good sense to divorce him, unlike Anna.

Same here.  I was pregnant with a daughter and my husband wanted to name her Michelle.  lol  I put my foot down.  I had a name picked out that I had loved for some time.  After she was born I found out he had been seeing this girl named Michelle.  I'll bet a dollar to a dozen donut burgers Josh had sex with someone named MacKenzie.  (however you spell it.)

ETA:  I meant Meredith.  Geez all those M's are confusing

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 7

Same here. I was pregnant with a daughter and my husband wanted to name her Michelle. lol I put my foot down. I had a name picked out that I had loved for some time. After she was born I found out he had been seeing this girl named Michelle. I'll bet a dollar to a dozen donut burgers Josh had sex with someone named MacKenzie. (however you spell it.)

I honestly don't understand why you would want your daughter to have the same name as the woman you had an affair with. It seems like that's just asking to get caught.

• Love 10