Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ugh, poor michael! Are you sure this is his birthday? Poor baby! All this sudden upheaval and hunkering down, hiding... gaw, that kid has to feel lost!

It reminds me (sadly) of when my eldest turned 4 and we were ALL IN fundie-lite. His birthday fell on a Sunday. I had gotten him a wagon and some books and toys and piled them all in the wagon with a big bow. However we dove out of bed on Sunday morning, racing around the house to find shoes, hair clips, Bibles, etc. just as we were walking (running) out the door, he says, "is anybody going to say Happy Birthday to me?" We were late for church and I had to re-do my makeup. I'm pretty sure he's still seeing a therapist about that.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8

As I have said before, out of all these women, Anna is not an actress. The problem with Anna is that every emotion she has clearly shows on her face. She is, out of all of them, not even remotely good at hiding her feelings.

Is this the same Anna who claimed, with a straight face, that she and Josh were wrangling the kids all by themselves on that trip that Jana was pictured tagging along on? Or the same one who described her childhood camping experience in an episode as "horrifying" with a pleasant cadence in her voice and a smile on her face?

• Love 3

no I really believe that is the extent in the Duggar family that anyone notices Jana is there. You know even if she is doing all the work. It's been that way for so long Jana is just invisible even to those who love her.

• Love 2

I don't know what Josh or Anna would have to gain by being in the public eye or doing any kind of interview. They aren't fighting to keep a show, or promote a book or any reason like that. I honestly wouldn't be saying anything either - I can't imagine what they would say that would really "help" matters. And saying that we somehow deserve this, or it would give them a chance to tell their side, or a chance at self respect (insert cliche here) well, that doesn't sound all that different from Jim Bob making him tell his sins and grovel in front of the whole church.

• Love 5

Good points. I would love to know the truth regarding how much Anna knew. It would be a pretty big gamble for Josh to only tell her the vague "I had moral failings as a teenager" nonsense. Unless she was lying in her public statement, she said that she was shocked when Josh told her the truth before they ever started courting. No reason to be shocked if all he said was that he had wrong thoughts. Having been steeped in Gothardism, she knew that was probably to be expected. So maybe she really did know. I hope so, for her sake, because otherwise, she must be shocked, hurting, angry, etc. [snip]

I think that Anna knew this story. Josh publicly confessed, and it was apparently common knowledge in that area.

I honestly think that Anna has forgiven Michelle and the girls for not properly practicing modesty and causing Josh to sin.

It sounds like a bad, joke, but I believe it's true. Anna was probably given the Wisdom booklet that we've seen excerpted on-line and was counseled to understand that the girls were too young to be aware of the problems they created by not being appropriately modest.

• Love 5

I don't know what Josh or Anna would have to gain by being in the public eye or doing any kind of interview. They aren't fighting to keep a show, or promote a book or any reason like that. I honestly wouldn't be saying anything either - I can't imagine what they would say that would really "help" matters. And saying that we somehow deserve this, or it would give them a chance to tell their side, or a chance at self respect (insert cliche here) well, that doesn't sound all that different from Jim Bob making him tell his sins and grovel in front of the whole church.

If that's the case, what did they think would be gained by the survivors doing an interview and outing themselves? To some (IMO), it may not have come across as desperate had Josh manned up and done the interview instead of having his parents and victims fight his battles while he hid in the prayer closet. 

• Love 2

I think the Duggars Senior are control freaks, which was why they couldn't keep from doing an interview. Plus, they were just SO SURE they could persuade people because they had been given so many passes in life before.

I think the daughters agreed because their livelihood, and to whatever extent we can call them "free" was on the line.

But I imagine after Josh and Anna realized that DC was over and there was nothing they could say or do that was going to change that, they realized an interview wasn't the way to go. They may also have agreed not to do an interview as part of a severance package from the FRC.

• Love 6
If that's the case, what did they think would be gained by the survivors doing an interview and outing themselves?

I think they thought they could use Jill and Jessa's status as two of Josh's victims to shut their critics up. "See, we forgive Josh, and since we were the ones who were directly hurt by him, who the hell are you to say anything different?" IMO they hoped to play it as a trump card (as evidenced by their willingness to refer to themselves as victims and yet refuse to acknowledge what Josh did as molestation) because it's considered bad form to question a victim narrative. They wanted to have the final word. 

• Love 19

Is it possible the daughters just wanted it to be known that the release of the information harmed the victims as well as the perpetrator, that InTouch magazine releasing the information really only benefitted InTouch magazine?

• Love 2

I think the only reason I wanted to hear from Josh is because his parents did such a god awful job with their own interview.  They made it impossible for me to take Jessa and Jill at their word coming on the heels of Jim Bob and Michelle describing how it was no big deal because it was over the clothes mostly and the victims were asleep and being asleep makes it ok because if no one feels a molestor's hands then no crime happened amirite and then tears, lots and lots of crying tears.  I mean, it was just awful.  It's a bit horrifying to see that these parents have absolutely no clue, not a single one.  These are the people who were supposed to have helped their children through this awful thing.  And this interview came after years of being in the public eye, years of practice and training in how to give a good interview, years of reflection after the terrible events occurred, and certainly advice from PR and crisis teams.  FFS, if this is what we get after all this, how much worse could it have been twelve years ago?  

This is why I would have wanted Josh to speak.  If the family is just going to defend and justify Josh's behavior and what he did, I think he should have had his moment to explain himself.  I think it could have aided the girls in a way their parents never could.  With the girls' interview coming after Jim Bob and Michelle, all I could really think about is that these are victims with parents who just went on national tv claiming none of it was a big deal, and the big deal is actually bribery and such by the mayor who had an agenda.  

However, if Michelle and Jim Bob had been even halfway decent, then I never would have cared to hear Josh's side.  Halfway decent for JB & M would be something like, "Look, this terrible thing happened in our family.  We reacted the best way we knew, though we know we made mistakes.  Over the last 12 years, we have continued to do our best to make sure that all of our children have recovered from this event.  Our daughters would like to share their story and we hope you can respect what they have to say.  We appreciate the continued prayers for our family."  Some version of this likely would have endeared the Duggars forever in the hearts and minds of America.  There would still be all of the issues associated with their vile hatred against the LGBT community but this sort of statement at least reveals they are self-aware and humble, which people tend to like.  It also gives Jill and Jessa some power when they share their story.  If it went like this, Josh could just go away quietly and live out his life. 

The way it went, though, makes me want Josh to speak up for himself.  

• Love 7
(edited)

These are the people who were supposed to have helped their children through this awful thing.  And this interview came after years of being in the public eye, years of practice and training in how to give a good interview, years of reflection after the terrible events occurred, and certainly advice from PR and crisis teams.  FFS, if this is what we get after all this, how much worse could it have been twelve years ago?  

This is why I would have wanted Josh to speak. 

I honestly got the feeling their parents really didn't care about the girls then, and don't now, as long as they can spin it that they "handled" it. I think that's why I don't want to hear from Josh - I'm afraid it'd be even worse than what his parents already said.

ETA: to clarify care about the girls.

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 4

They live a very isolated life and have little contact with people who are not either in their circle, or devoted fans. JB hasn't doesn't have a job and doesn't work for anyone; he is the leader of his church; his wife won't contradict him; and he is basically the king of his tiny world. I'm sure that the Christian crisis management team that refused to work with him bailed because he showed no interest in listening to their advice. Based on the feedback that he got from his church community and his sycophantic wife, I'm sure he thought he had created the perfect plan to mitigate the damage and keep the show on the air. I'm sure that the fact that it really hasn't worked is a genuine surprise to him.

The only person who has had any contact with the outside world is Josh. I think he was probably the only person who had any idea how damaging the revelation was, and how difficult it would be to recover. While JB might have thought that talking about Jesus and forgiveness and trotting out the two victims would smooth everything over, I think that Josh may have had enough sophistication to realize that it wouldn't. In my opinion, the only smart decision that anyone has made in all of this was for Josh to keep his head down and his mouth shut.

• Love 17

If that's the case, what did they think would be gained by the survivors doing an interview and outing themselves? To some (IMO), it may not have come across as desperate had Josh manned up and done the interview instead of having his parents and victims fight his battles while he hid in the prayer closet. 

I wonder whether they thought beyond a panicked, "Oh no! We have to save our show(s)! We need to get on tv and show everybody that what happened in teh past was no big deal and they should be sorry for us in the present! They love us! It'll be fine!"

When I try to imagine how it went down, panicked stupidity is pretty much all I see.

• Love 6

I think what we needed to get from Jim Bob and Michelle, and didn't, is some trace of humility, an admission that they might not have done everything right. They got close when they said, "We felt, as parents, we're failures," then immediately blew it by continuing, "We failed Josh!" Nothing about failing the girls. That was my "I'm done with these people" moment.

The heartfelt insincerity of the whole thing was just icing.

That was the exact moment too where I just knew they were completely horrible people. To me it seemed like they ONLY cared about Josh. Well, and I guess themselves a little bit.  The girls?  I didn't see any concern for them at all, and that really bothered me.

• Love 6

I think the Duggars Senior are control freaks, which was why they couldn't keep from doing an interview. Plus, they were just SO SURE they could persuade people because they had been given so many passes in life before.

I think the daughters agreed because their livelihood, and to whatever extent we can call them "free" was on the line.

But I imagine after Josh and Anna realized that DC was over and there was nothing they could say or do that was going to change that, they realized an interview wasn't the way to go. They may also have agreed not to do an interview as part of a severance package from the FRC.

Definitely "Yes" to the control freak issue - and an even stronger "Yes" to thinking they could put one over on people this time. Why wouldn't they think it? They HAD been given so many passes previously. They don't even get it that they would never even be on TV if they were a Hispanic family, or an African-American family, or just about any demographic other than exactly what they are.

• Love 7

I mean, it was just awful.  It's a bit horrifying to see that these parents have absolutely no clue, not a single one.  These are the people who were supposed to have helped their children through this awful thing.  And this interview came after years of being in the public eye, years of practice and training in how to give a good interview, years of reflection after the terrible events occurred, and certainly advice from PR and crisis teams.  FFS, if this is what we get after all this, how much worse could it have been twelve years ago?   

I would like to LIKE this 1000x.

I think what we needed to get from Jim Bob and Michelle, and didn't, is some trace of humility, an admission that they might not have done everything right. They got close when they said, "We felt, as parents, we're failures," then immediately blew it by continuing, "We failed Josh!" Nothing about failing the girls. That was my "I'm done with these people" moment.

And this, too.

Their daughters were molested. How would any normal parent have felt. How much grief and guilt would a normal parent have felt about not protecting their children? Their son was the molester. How many sleepless nights would normal parents have spent worrying about him -- what's wrong with him? what did we do wrong? what are we going to do?

Instead, they just barreled ahead and had another 6-7 children. Oh, but no one was allowed to play hide and seek, and side-hugs only! See, they're great parents!

Then when this comes out and they choose to tell their story, they can't come up with one genuine ounce of emotion -- except for anger at the magazine and the police chief. They are just not capable of self-reflection or humility. It's funny that they have been on television so long, and can see themselves and the impression that they make at any time, but apparently think that they are doing just fine -- great, really.

Given what we have seen of Josh -- the incest jokes, and the teasing of his sisters about their love lives -- I can't help but wonder if he was kept off camera because the handlers thought he would come across as lacking in remorse or humility. Maybe, as bad as they were, JB and J'chelle were the better choice?

• Love 13
(edited)

I think that Anna knew this story. Josh publicly confessed, and it was apparently common knowledge in that area.

I honestly think that Anna has forgiven Michelle and the girls for not properly practicing modesty and causing Josh to sin.

It sounds like a bad, joke, but I believe it's true. Anna was probably given the Wisdom booklet that we've seen excerpted on-line and was counseled to understand that the girls were too young to be aware of the problems they created by not being appropriately modest.

This is exactly how I see it, given the research I've done lately into this belief system. Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 2

FWIW, Josh and Anna rejoined social media tonight, feting Mike, who turned 4 today. Party with cupcakes at the TTH. No Sierra cake to be found, just some cupcakes and Josie (probably licking them).

• Love 6

While that's certainly true, I don't think it even occurred to the girls that they COULD say "no" to the interview. From birth, they've been trained to unquestioning obedience to their parents and I don't think marriage or legal adulthood has changed that in the slightest. Daddy's word is law.

Josh and Anna rejoined social media tonight, feting Mike, who turned 4 today. Party with cupcakes at the TTH.

First he hides behind his sisters and now he hides behind his kids.

• Love 6

To me, Josh is just acting like a standard politician. Other than the lawyer vetted resignation, yes, you DO hide behind your surrogates for a time when you've done something. That's part of the strategy. If Jim Bob and Michelle had done that, or the daughters had done that (and I'm not sure if they were required to do the interview or not, given how much money for them personally was at stake) I think a good bit of this would have blown over. At some point, interviews could be arranged (in the depths of summer - John Edwards did his in the middle of August) where they could have practiced a more remorseful tone, but by then, likely a lot of weird stuff like the mental patient ravings, that would have put the family in a less harsh light. By jumping into it, the completely justified everything the police report said, and more.

• Love 5

So much this! During the interview JB was describing what happened after the first incident was revealed and says "looking back....(since 3 more girls were molested after this was revealed, I was fully expecting him to say " we didn't handle it properly or we should have done more but no, he goes on to say ) we did the best we could" what?! I guess he can never admit he is wrong...EVER.

I think this country loves a come back but I don't think they can ever, ever come back from child molestation.

• Love 11

So much this! During the interview JB was describing what happened after the first incident was revealed and says "looking back....(since 3 more girls were molested after this was revealed, I was fully expecting him to say " we didn't handle it properly or we should have done more but no, he goes on to say ) we did the best we could" what?! I guess he can never admit he is wrong...EVER.

I think this country loves a come back but I don't think they can ever, ever come back from child molestation.

I agree with you.    I would like to add that even before the molestation came out, nobody cared about Josh Duggar. He isn't a politician, he never was and he never would of been.  The organization he worked for is a hate group.   

The Duggars played right into TLC'S hands.    They willingly displayed how weird they are, JB lucked into a way so he would not have to work a real job and made some money.   Meanwhile TLC made around 25 million a year off them.    

• Love 5

I watched about a minute and a half of that interview on Youtube. The bit where Jim Bob was "um err um err"-ing about "what actually happened." "See the girls...they dint even know because they were sleepin'...SECONDS it lasted, I mean WELL UNDER A MINUTE, AND OVER THE CLOTHES (andonetimeundertheclothes) and nobody even RELL-IIIZED...." While Michelle painstakingly maintained her "concerned" forehead crinkle and nodded like a bobblehead. I was so disgusted I had to turn it off. I have no words. None. I agree, if that was Jim Bob and Michelle at their PR, damage-control best, it's no wonder they've locked Josh in the basement (a girl can dream.)

• Love 13

I think JB thought he had all the answers and normal people would buy it. We all know he's stupid arrogant obnoxious and has the mind if a 15 yo boy. His wife and children treat him like a king without question. He never had to answer to anyone but Jim Bob. The duggars only being around each other made them look bad. They have no idea how the real world works or critical thinking skills

• Love 10

As for Josh. I hope he gets a real job to support his family. Anna's due in what 4months? I hope they have health insurance just in case something goes wrong. I hope not. It's best for Josh to lay low for now

• Love 2

I'm glad they recognized Michael's birthday. He's the same age as my daughter, and I know no matter what the catastrophe (and we've had some) I've tried to keep my children's lives as normal and far removed from it as possible.

I used to like Anna. Now I just cant understand how she married someone with Josh's history.that would be a deal breaker for me. And how could her parents want her with someone with that history? Theres no kind of line drawn in the proverbial sand that makes you say that's unacceptable to these people?

I can't look at Josh's face. I scroll over it asap.

• Love 5
(edited)

Law Enforcement and Child Protective Services were already aware of what Josh had done, and to who he did it to. CPS appear to have intervened in some way, but we don't know any details because it's not in the welfare of the abused for anyone and everyone to know.

Josh's identity was as much redacted as his sisters, it was no more difficult to conclude the names of the sisters than it was to conclude the perpetrator was Josh. They may have not published their names, but what they published was tantamount to naming them. I don't think InTouch have an agenda besides selling magazines. That interviews with victims of child sexual abuse were published with enough information to identify them will probably not encourage other sexual abuse victims to consent to similar interviews.

My understanding of FOI is that it's supposed to be about scrutinizing the government, not third parties.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

Imagine how any of us would feel to learn that there was a  sex offender in our neighborhood and there was no attempt to notify those living there. After all, if there was notification, it's "re-victimizing" the victims. No, it's alerting those around him or her that they have a high probability of re-offending.

In Touch isn't the villain here.

The thing is, local residents are not notified. One can find it out, but its not like there is any announcement to a neighborhood.

The thing is, local residents are not notified. One can find it out, but its not like there is any announcement to a neighborhood.

if the sex offender is Registered, sometimes you'll get an alert or something, if you have young children in public school or something.

They used to send us home with letters about people giving drugs to kids, kids getting abducted, or anything like that when i was younger.

Then again, it may depend on where you live.

(edited)

From my rudimentary cruise through Arkansas juvenile sex offender law, there is no guarantee that Josh would have ended up on a register if he'd been duly reported as a minor. (Dearest Moderating Team, if this is too much speculation of the legal sort, please delete.)  For a minor to be listed on their sex offender registry, the prosecutor has to petition the court to do so.  *If* Josh did whatever was required by the court and did not re-offend, it's highly likely that the prosecutor wouldn't have filed such a motion.  But that's purely speculation by someone who has not gone to law school and whose familiarity with Arkansas juvenile criminal law is based entirely on what I scraped together through a couple of quick searches on WestLaw. 

They used to send us home with letters about people giving drugs to kids, kids getting abducted, or anything like that when i was younger.

Totally OT, but my school used to send home letters about new releases by Guns-n-Roses and 2Live Crew.  

My understanding of FOI is that it's supposed to be about scrutinizing the government, not third parties.

Yes and no.  FOIA is simply a tool for the average person to get their hands on government documents that are technically publicly available but are not easy to access.  It's partly for government accountability, but the argument could be made that if Josh Duggar's molestation was the worst kept secret in Washington County why did the state do nothing?  Well, it turns out the state did, but the parents kept it covered up for so long that there was nothing Washington County could do except monitor the family for a while and insist everyone get counseling.

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 1

From my rudimentary cruise through Arkansas juvenile sex offender law, there is no guarantee that Josh would have ended up on a register if he'd been duly reported as a minor. (Dearest Moderating Team, if this is too much speculation of the legal sort, please delete.)  For a minor to be listed on their sex offender registry, the prosecutor has to petition the court to do so.  *If* Josh did whatever was required by the court and did not re-offend, it's highly likely that the prosecutor wouldn't have filed such a motion.  But that's purely speculation by someone who has not gone to law school and whose familiarity with Arkansas juvenile criminal law is based entirely on what I scraped together through a couple of quick searches on WestLaw. 

Totally OT, but my school used to send home letters about new releases by Guns-n-Roses and 2Live Crew.  

Yes and no.  FOIA is simply a tool for the average person to get their hands on government documents that are technically publicly available but are not easy to access.  It's partly for government accountability, but the argument could be made that if Josh Duggar's molestation was the worst kept secret in Washington County why did the state do nothing?  Well, it turns out the state did, but the parents kept it covered up for so long that there was nothing Washington County could do except monitor the family for a while and insist everyone get counseling.

Regarding the bolded part, and this is for everyone, I think we're hitting the sweet spot of there was some discussion, but we're going to start entering territory where it will be too speculative and legalistic. 

In other words, let's chill with the discussion about sex offender registries and other such legal procedures. Especially as it starts to swinging over to his children which we've already said is off the table. 

Let's chill with legal speculation. We're trying to find a balance and we appreciate everyone's cooperation and good sense.  Thanks!!

• Love 2

While that's certainly true, I don't think it even occurred to the girls that they COULD say "no" to the interview. From birth, they've been trained to unquestioning obedience to their parents and I don't think marriage or legal adulthood has changed that in the slightest. Daddy's word is law.

First he hides behind his sisters and now he hides behind his kids.

I was going to add that, but I would sound like a broken record. They are ALL hiding behind the kids, babies, and bumps since their return to social media. 

• Love 6

I'm glad they recognized Michael's birthday. He's the same age as my daughter, and I know no matter what the catastrophe (and we've had some) I've tried to keep my children's lives as normal and far removed from it as possible.

Celebrating Michael's birthday is definitely a good move; putting it up on social media? just a cry for more attention and reaffirmation that people care about them. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Could someone post pics of the cupcake party for Michael or tell me where to find them? I feel left out.

Josh and Anna's FB page has video of the kids around the cake, at the TTH. No adults in sight, of course.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 2

Jackson's birthday was in late May, would Jimchelle have explained to him or any of the howlers why they were weren't going anywhere? I hope I'm wrong, but I think they've probably just waved him away, and he thinks they just don't like him.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not sure what I was quoting. Oops!

Yes, they totally ignored Jackson's b-day on social media. I guess Joshie couldn't hold out any longer; he had to be going thru withdrawals (as did Jessa, but that's for her thread).

Edited by Sew Sumi

Law Enforcement and Child Protective Services were already aware of what Josh had done, and to who he did it to. CPS appear to have intervened in some way, but we don't know any details because it's not in the welfare of the abused for anyone and everyone to know.

Josh's identity was as much redacted as his sisters, it was no more difficult to conclude the names of the sisters than it was to conclude the perpetrator was Josh. They may have not published their names, but what they published was tantamount to naming them. I don't think InTouch have an agenda besides selling magazines. That interviews with victims of child sexual abuse were published with enough information to identify them will probably not encourage other sexual abuse victims to consent to similar interviews.

If the Duggars didn't want Josh's crimes to become a public interest story they should have never agreed to a television show, much less use their status as "celebrities" to slander and accuse an entire class of innocent people of what their own son was doing.  Better yet, Josh should have kept his grubby hands to himself.  The Duggars can't use the media to their benefit and then cry and whine when it bites them in the butt. 

Josh, Michelle, and Jim Bob are the villains.  In Touch was just doing its job and, as far as I'm concerned, is the real hero here.

• Love 15
(edited)

If the Duggars didn't want Josh's crimes to become a public interest story they should have never agreed to a television show, much less use their status as "celebrities" to slander and accuse an entire class of innocent people of what their own son was doing. Better yet, Josh should have kept his grubby hands to himself. The Duggars can't use the media to their benefit and then cry and whine when it bites them in the butt.

Josh, Michelle, and Jim Bob are the villains. In Touch was just doing its job and, as far as I'm concerned, is the real hero here.

InTouch is a magazine about Jennifer Aniston being pregnant, Angelina Jolie being deathly skinny and some Kardashian being fed up with another Kardashian. They didn't blow any whistles, the people who should know what Josh did already knew what Josh did. They are certainly not heroes for disseminating, in order to sell tabloid magazines, child sexual abuse victim's statements that were given in confidence. No one benefited from this but InTouch. Certainly no Duggar benefitted.

Josh's FRC job and Michelle's robocalls are hypocritical, but they were preaching to the choir. Those who were receptive to their idiocy remain receptive to it.

Edited by Kokapetl
(edited)

So if it were the New York Times, then it could be called proper whistle blowing?  Keep in mine, the NYT and all those other news sources have utterly neglected to report on the danger this family has represented to the public for nearly a decade.  Also keep in mind that all these news sources reported on the Duggars after the story broke.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 14