Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)

I kind of hope there's always a possibility in the back of Josh's mind that one day, one of these guys isn't going to be able to contain his anger and might haul off and slug Josh. I'm not advocating physical violence - although I admit I'd find it understandable if the husbands wanted to punch Josh - but I hope that fear is in the back of Josh's head, just as his sisters had to live in fear that at any point he might sneak into their bedrooms & sexually assault them.

I hope Ben doubles down on his working out and bulks up....just to intimidate Josh.

Since Josh is the oldest, he knows where all of the family's skeletons are buried.

I am starting to think part of the reason they are SO focused on how Josh has changed, Josh confessed, Josh was so sorry, etc. is because JimBob & Michelle are scared that he might just start spilling any other family secrets.

I have to say that pudge pot is probably already intimidated.  Did anyone see that last interview with Joshie?  He reminded me of a cross between Jim Jones and a very unhealthy Elvis. 

ETA:  Obviously I have no sympathy for Josh.

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 4

I know this sounds insane, but Smuggar will have gainful employment very soon, if he doesn't already have another offer.

Look at the sheer numbers of others within that party that have committed some pretty heinous acts and are still getting jobs, consulting things, whatever. They're going to use him as a symbol of a "good man who made a mistake and was Taken Down by the Liberal Media." Much fundraising will follow.

IMHO, of course.

I mean Woody Allen is treated like a God in Hollywood with a tribute on the Oscars.....and he's one creepy, creepy dude.....

• Love 10

I've been thinking about how Josh's physical appearance has aged recently. He's gone soft and doughy. Remember his reaction when Anna surprised him with the pee stick. I don't think that was rehearsed. Josh knew this was coming and he was sick with fear.

I also think he knew it was coming.  It is common for the tabloids to call the person and tell them what info they have on them and ask if the person wants to make a comment.  Win-win for the tabloids.

• Love 2

Remember the interviewer Stephen Colbert had - the guy who would interview some schmuck not savvy enough to know the interviewer was burning him alive...? I only saw that a couple times, but thought it was so funny! I would pay big fat money to see that happen to Josh. I'd love love love to see someone hold Josh's feet to the fire, but I bet whenever it does happen, they will use a nerf gun instead of a pitching machine. Because somehow, some way, JB will be in charge.

But Josh WILL have to do an interview for them to move past the general nasty that is now the Duggar brand. I doubt it will move the name forward much - in fact, I'm sure we'll be here ripping him apart the next day. But I think CofCinci is right, there is an interview coming (softly lit room, two chairs in the middle, probably female interviewer with eyebrows furrowed and great concern on her face...). Yep, Diane Sawyer is floating in front of me right now.

• Love 3

I don't think Jim Bob gives any of the children a check or any control of their own money. So far we've seen him remodel the house for Jessa and pay for her furniture. He also paid for Jill's furniture. He bought their cars. Maybe without TCL money, they can get from under his control. At least monetarily.

• Love 2

I can't help but wonder if Josh is going to feel at all uncomfortable around Ben and Derrick the next time the tribe gets together for one of their big pregnancy announcements, gender reveals or births.  After all, he got to feel their wives up while the husbands couldn't even hold hands before becoming engaged.   

Josh will probably be pretty much business as usual, but I imagine Ben and Derick will be less than warm and congenial. 

• Love 1

I think Anna was raised much in the same way as Josh. Anna has a sweet personality but there's a childlike quality to her. She and the other girls never matured emotionally, not even a little bit. I feel very sympathetic towards Anna, she just had no chance to grow into a mature woman, she was only groomed to be a breeder.

I agree with this. I don't necessarily think Anna raising her children is a 'child raising a child' mentality that we see among some teenaged mother's (not all, of course, there are exceptions), but actually seeing the bedroom of Erin Bates with Chad solidified that these girls (among any of the Quiverfull bunch we've been able to witness) really haven't grown up. They remind me of the older 2 Bennett daughter's in Pride & Prejudice; with marriage, family, and babies fanatised and romanticizes to the extreme. Very damsel in distress. I don't think, on any level, that these girls were raised in a manner in which they were taught how to cope with adversity or hardship (beyond financial/budget type lessons). Anna is probably feeling very small fish in an ocean right now; and frankly, that has a lot to do with her upbringing...or lack of one, anyway. 

• Love 8

No kids on laps?

I suspect the Duggars would say that since he now has a wife to satisfy his urges (and since he's repented and is all better now) that it's cool. It's those without proper outlets who are the problem, which is probably why the parents started trying to marry Josh off virtually as soon as they found out about the molestation.

• Love 1

Given that the media won't leave celebrity children alone when they're simply going to the doctor or having a temper tantrum, I'd say Anna and her kids don't stand a chance. The second they come out of hiding, they're doomed. The only good thing is, they don't live in DC anymore or a place like Hollywood so most of the vile people will disappear quicker. 

Usually, though, if the the person who actually did the sexual assault (or whatever) comes forth, gives a straightforward press conference (not a cozy sit-down with a sympathetic tv personality), the family is not hounded by the press. They may suffer from pity and social awkwardness, but they aren't hounded especially young children. 

Michelle said the whole family side hugs opposite gender people to not stir up sexual desires. JB side hugs his daughters. I wonder if Josh was required to only side hug his sisters. The whole no touching thing makes a lot of sense now. along with the hand sex Joshanna did while engaged.

I do kinda feel for Josh. His parents are dipshits. He needed intense therapy and real loving parents. He had a fucked up childhood with mommy and daddy making babies every year. I'm sure at times there was no food, which explains his weight gain. But then the other 90% of me don't feel any pity for him. He used his religion to try and take other people's rights away who were "sinning" all while he had his own "sins" He should feel ashamed of himself. I hope Josh steps up and get a real job. I'm guessing JB is still supporting him.

• Love 7

I am starting to think part of the reason they are SO focused on how Josh has changed, Josh confessed, Josh was so sorry, etc. is because JimBob & Michelle are scared that he might just start spilling any other family secrets.

Yes to this.  For years now I have thought that if Josh ran into hard times, he would do a tell-all.  To me it always seemed like he was just spouting off and towing the line because he had no choice.  Even the FRC job- they paid him big bucks so he just continued to repeat all the stuff that had been drilled into him since childhood.

Knowing what we know now, I would imagine the hostility towards his parents goes even deeper.  Not excusing his actions for a minute, but he is one messed up young man, and his parents have to accept that they are partly to blame.

• Love 6

Folks, a reminder:

Don't speculate about whether Josh was behind further abuse, whether he was abused, who else might have abused someone else, etc.

We've had to remove many posts that have speculated whether he's molested his daughters etc. Please stop wondering, insinuating or posting pictures as if that's an a-ha gotcha moment. We have asked this several times. We are grateful for your understanding and cooperation.

Thanks!

They remind me of the older 2 Bennett daughter's in Pride & Prejudice; with marriage, family, and babies fanatised and romanticizes to the extreme. Very damsel in distress.

Aw, that's a little harsh on Jane and Lizzie! :-)

• Love 14

I feel bad for Anna in some ways, but in others, I feel like she's so stupid for knowing about this, before she married Smuggar, and just writing it off as nothing.

According to JB this could have easily happened to Anna with just about anyone she married who was raise in those circles -- didn't he say that he knows a lot of families who are dealing with the same problems of molestation with their children? And if we go by what Jill says, 2/3 of all families commit the same acts and even worse (cuz theirs wasn't all that bad, Joshie just got a quick feel). Sounds like a prevelant problem among the extreme fundies if we go by the wisdom of the Duggars, cuz they know stuff. So, according to their logic, Anna didn't stand much of a chance picking a husband without previous sexual experience.

• Love 11
(edited)

I mean Woody Allen is treated like a God in Hollywood with a tribute on the Oscars.....and he's one creepy, creepy dude.....

Right, like Roman Polanski.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 5

I'm not going to defend Polanski or Woody Allen (far from it) but at least they both are talented in their fields and there is a reason why they are feted by their peers.  Josh Duggar on the other hand?  Not so much.  Like others I suspect he will go on the "I was a sinner and I was saved" speakers circuit.  I don't see him going on to a career in politics or anything else though where anyone but his own little circle will care about anything he has to say.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't see the distinction. They are all molesters. The only distinction between them is that Josh was also a child at the time he committed the crime. The others were grown men preying on children.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 19

I've been thinking about how Josh's physical appearance has aged recently. He's gone soft and doughy. Remember his reaction when Anna surprised him with the pee stick. I don't think that was rehearsed. Josh knew this was coming and he was sick with fear.

You have to wonder with Josh having gone into hiding if he's eating his feelings with take out and carbs, and pulling some kind of Rob Kardashian.

• Love 6

I in no way condone what Josh did, however I do believe he is the sum of every warped aspect of his upbringing.

I also now see his smug behavior and every word that has ever come out of his mouth as false bravado he has been hiding behind. I really do believe he thought that building that wall of arrogance around him would keep all this at bay.

Aside from JB & Michelle I feel for everyone in that family, including Josh. Oh, and Mary I am just confused about. If she really was a part of the JB machine, she can take a leap with her son and DIL.

• Love 9
(edited)

I don't see the distinction. They are all molesters. The only distinction between them is that Josh was also a child at the time he committed the crime. The others were grown men preying on children.

The allegations against Woody Allen were never proven. Polanski was convicted and Josh has confessed. There is a big difference between all three "cases."

Probably not a valid topic on this thread anyway.

Edited by Betelnut
  • Love 6

Julia - I can't help but think that Josh is always the one who destroys the family. It's never Jim Bob and Michelle. It's never the other siblings. Even if he somehow managed to turn his life around and our Jim Bob his father by becoming everything his father couldn't be with his own growing family, it wasn't enough. He's still the child who brings down the House of Jim Bob.

There is nothing worse than being the first Golden child who CONSTANTLY is a terrible disappointment to his parents. Better to be a nobody.

• Love 5

This is not lets debate the difference between Roman Polanski, Woody Allen and other known celebrity or possible  celebrity molesters and Josh Duggar thread. Take it somewhere else please. Posts talking about other molesters or debating who was worse will be hidden.

Do not ask why Josh may or may not have molested his other sisters. Yes, we know four sisters and another girl was molested, but we do not need to speculate on why he picked certain girls or sisters. I am sure there are thousands of forums where a person could speculate and debate this issue until the cows come home, the barn doors are closed, and the manure is cleaned out. Posts speculating or asking why Josh picked certain girls will be hidden.

Once again, thank you for your cooperation and patience.

(edited)

Edited by mbutterfly

Usually, though, if the the person who actually did the sexual assault (or whatever) comes forth, gives a straightforward press conference (not a cozy sit-down with a sympathetic tv personality), the family is not hounded by the press. They may suffer from pity and social awkwardness, but they aren't hounded especially young children. 

That would require Josh to actually speak up for himself. 

• Love 1

Like others I suspect he will go on the "I was a sinner and I was saved" speakers circuit.  I don't see him going on to a career in politics or anything else though where anyone but his own little circle will care about anything he has to say.

I'm guessing that there will be a Josh Redemption Tour (before friendly Fundy audiences) followed by a career in the "ministry". When I was watching Robert Jeffress shrieking at Keith Ablow on Hannity the other night, I was thinking that he'd be the perfect career mentor for Josh. He still thinks that the Duggars are "wonderful" and that Josh has been forgiven and freed from his sins. Josh could go work under him at his church in Dallas and then gradually work himself up in the ranks of Fundy preachers (where you don't always need to be educated or ordained to spread the message). Standing at the pulpit laying down the law to an admiring audience would be right up Josh's alley, almost as good as being with the FRC, especially if he could use it to somehow get his mug back on TV.

• Love 4

The fundy ministry is where I assume someone like Josh would end up.  It's one of the few places where having a sex scandal is not frowned upon, and is practically the price of admission.  

• Love 14

Yes to this.  For years now I have thought that if Josh ran into hard times, he would do a tell-all.  To me it always seemed like he was just spouting off and towing the line because he had no choice.  Even the FRC job- they paid him big bucks so he just continued to repeat all the stuff that had been drilled into him since childhood.

Knowing what we know now, I would imagine the hostility towards his parents goes even deeper.  Not excusing his actions for a minute, but he is one messed up young man, and his parents have to accept that they are partly to blame.

I'm not even sure they're capable of accepting the blame. 

I agree with the post above about Josh and how his parents failed him. I'm not in the camp of burning him alive, because I can see where his parents failed him at the same time as failing their daughter's. My biggest gripe with Josh is that he could have chosen differently; he clearly was not drinking the Kool Aid strong enough until he was much older, which is likely why the Duggars go so hardcore from such a young age now (and since Josh was older when they drank it themselves)---he knew what he was doing was wrong, he knew he had impulses, and he saw his parents do nothing until it only got worse. I won't even pretend to understand the 'hell' his counseling/remodeling time likely was and why he came back so changed, but at the age of 18 he could have left---and he would have made a killing $$$ wise to do so, he ultimately chose to stay. He chose to become the family frontrunner, the face of politics...etc, etc. 

This ultimately became his choice, and unfortunately, the secret came out and exposes some very ugly truths of this family, and now he will have to suffer for the rest of his life because of it. 

If they accept blame? Name me anyone in DC who had a sex scandal who willingly accepted blame and acted genuinely repententant? Well, there was Jim Livingston, I guess. But Josh is doing exactly what everyone else does - he's made a sort of apology, almost certainly written by an attorney. He actually did resign from his position (mostly because he didn't have any choice, I imagine) and is keeping a low profile, letting his surrogates speak for him. It's classic politician scandal 101.

I realize people think of the Duggars as reality stars first, but they were political before they were reality. And it's Huckabee's team who is advising them.

• Love 4

If they accept blame? Name me anyone in DC who had a sex scandal who willingly accepted blame and acted genuinely repententant? Well, there was Jim Livingston, I guess. But Josh is doing exactly what everyone else does - he's made a sort of apology, almost certainly written by an attorney. He actually did resign from his position (mostly because he didn't have any choice, I imagine) and is keeping a low profile, letting his surrogates speak for him. It's classic politician scandal 101.

I realize people think of the Duggars as reality stars first, but they were political before they were reality. And it's Huckabee's team who is advising them.

It hasn't happened much in DC, but it has happened with some famous personalities over the years, and most of the retribution was stopped by the courage of the open admission and apology. And the family was left in peace. Josh is in DC, but not quite of DC at this point I think, I'm not convinced he even cared that much about his DC career. I surely could be wrong. 

I'm really shocked that we haven't seen pictures of him since the scandal broke news

Josh and family got out of DC the day before it broke. I'll give Josh credit for staying tightly in whatever bunker he's in. As long as there's TV, internet, and stocked fridge I doubt he wants to leave. Anna might just have enough sense not to tip off the media by going out, either. I doubt anyone would notice someone from her side of the family running errands.

• Love 2

. I realize people think of the Duggars as reality stars first, but they were political before they were reality. And it's Huckabee's team who is advising them.

Really??? You are far more political than I am - I get more involved further into the race (the debates are popcorn and favorite blankey events!). I thought Huckabee was distancing himself a little - I think his knee jerk "forgive and forget" statement blew up in his face. I know you must have caught something in the layout of the interviews or the posturing of the whole debacle makes you think Huck's team is involved. How so? (I'm not being snarky, I'm really curious). Is this to "help" Huck save face for having defended him? Wow. You stopped me in my tracks with that one.

• Love 1

Josh and family got out of DC the day before it broke. I'll give Josh credit for staying tightly in whatever bunker he's in. As long as there's TV, internet, and stocked fridge I doubt he wants to leave. Anna might just have enough sense not to tip off the media by going out, either. I doubt anyone would notice someone from her side of the family running errands.

I was thinking at first and through last week, they were holing up and someone was surely bringing them supplies (casseroles... TATER TOT CASSEROLE!!!) as you do when there's been a death in the family. (Because, sort of, there was...). But that's got to be getting a little tarnished. At some point, he's got to come out of his rat hole. (I just had a "flash" of Templeton the rat). He's going to be pasty faced, teary eyed and fat as a hog. I guess if they stay hidden long enough, Jill will have to go deliver that baby. She can take her Delivery Plan.

• Love 2

. At some point, he's got to come out of his rat hole. (I just had a "flash" of Templeton the rat). He's going to be pasty faced, teary eyed and fat as a hog. I guess if they stay hidden long enough, Jill will have to go deliver that baby. She can take her Delivery Plan.

Come to think of it, they might reappear at the birth, especially if they have the bad luck of needing a hospital. I hope for Anna's sake she doesn't, and can get some relative privacy.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm really shocked that we haven't seen pictures of him since the scandal broke news

He doesn't have enough balls to go out in public. Hell, I wouldn't either, if I were him. He will forever be a social outcast. The egg on his face is there to stay.

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 7

I think the brightest thing for both Josh and Jimchelle to have done, would be what we here call "do a poodle", which is basically a roll over, show your underbelly, accept all blame, don't argue, don't make excuses, publicly apologize, apologize apologize, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, throw yourself on your sword type of thing. Whether honestly meant or not it is surprisingly effective in making people and the press back off and/or forgive. It's such a common strategy that I was actually surprised that none of them performed a proper poodle. Josh did a half-assed one with his letter and resignation, but ruined it by slinking away into hiding and letting his family defend him, and JimChelle went and did the exact opposite which makes me wonder if they had any actually PR working for them or if they just tried to deal with the situation on their own (and miserably failed). And the thing is that their church confessions in front of a congregation sound an awful lot like poodling, which makes their failure to do it in front of the public even more baffling.

• Love 16

You've raised a really good point...they're treating this as if it's a political scandal...but it isn't. It's an entertainment scandal with heavy religious overtones. People don't vote for the Duggars, they found them (for some reason) aspirational...the feel-good wholesome religious family...and they felt connected to them. (Sincere fans, not snarkaholics like myself.)

And that's why this response is coming across all wrong, IMHO. Huckabee's people are using the wrong playbook.

• Love 10

I'm guessing that there will be a Josh Redemption Tour (before friendly Fundy audiences) followed by a career in the "ministry". When I was watching Robert Jeffress shrieking at Keith Ablow on Hannity the other night, I was thinking that he'd be the perfect career mentor for Josh. He still thinks that the Duggars are "wonderful" and that Josh has been forgiven and freed from his sins. Josh could go work under him at his church in Dallas and then gradually work himself up in the ranks of Fundy preachers (where you don't always need to be educated or ordained to spread the message). Standing at the pulpit laying down the law to an admiring audience would be right up Josh's alley, almost as good as being with the FRC, especially if he could use it to somehow get his mug back on TV.

That's where I predict Josh will end up too.    

He is hiding in that slide that they in the TTH

• Love 1

It probably was smarter to do the rollover. There's the justifiably famous phrase, "it's not the crime, it's the coverup." I think Josh thought that his statement and stepping down would be enough. But his parents can't bear to be out of the limelight.

Not sure where I saw it, but I do believe someone connected to Huckabee was helping them with statements. I'm sure that was also part of their decision to go on Fox News and getting some sense of how they would be treated there. H may not be speaking out publicly for them again, but I don't think he's abandoned them. We'd know - he'd tell us.

And I believe the photos of Josh and Anna at the airport were them coming INTO DC just as the story was breaking, not leaving. As far as I know, there have been no public photos or comments about them being in AR. Until we are told otherwise, I'm betting they are in MD, so Anna can deliver baby 4 as planned.

And I believe the photos of Josh and Anna at the airport were them coming INTO DC just as the story was breaking, not leaving. As far as I know, there have been no public photos or comments about them being in AR. Until we are told otherwise, I'm betting they are in MD, so Anna can deliver baby 4 as planned.

The video shows they're clearly entering the terminal from the street, with luggage. The still photos are taken right before security, with josh holding boarding passes and photo ID. They were leaving. All rumors point to the DC house being empty. They got out, while the getting was good.

• Love 1

I don't remember Anna smiling. I remember he was carrying Marcus. She was hauling luggage. Some things never change! ;)

By smiling I don't necessarily mean bright cheery, but they didn't look nervous, anxious, distressed, crying...etc, etc. They looked normal, happy even as if nothing was phasing them. 

The video shows they're clearly entering the terminal from the street, with luggage. The still photos are taken right before security, with josh holding boarding passes and photo ID. They were leaving. All rumors point to the DC house being empty. They got out, while the getting was good.

No one can say Anna doesn't have a career.  In addition to being a mom, she is also a broodmare and a pack mule.  That Josh is quite the catch.  

• Love 15