Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jessa claims that they "entertain" 2 or 3 days/week.  Aside from boring bible studies, what could they be doing? Does she offer food and/or drinks? I just can't picture Jessa in the role of hostess.

Jessa lies . . .

• Like 6
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

I think I figured out the fireplace placement. It came to me as I was walking along earlier looking at the houses I was passing.

The building, which was apparently not built as a house but as some sort of church facility, originally had an entrance hall. The door was hinged on the right and opened to the right, against a wall. The fireplace, on the left, warmed people as they came in the door and provided a mantel for a cross, flowers, seasonal decorations

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jessa claims that they "entertain" 2 or 3 days/week.  Aside from boring bible studies, what could they be doing? Does she offer food and/or drinks? I just can't picture Jessa in the role of hostess.

Former minister's wife here. They need to using their house for ministry purposes if they're taking advantage of the sweet household tax deduction. It doesn't take much to satisfy the IRS, though. My husband was only a music minister, so he didn't do much counseling. We'd invite new choir or orchestra members or other volunteers over for dinner and have one or two meetings a year at our place. We could write off not only our house payment but also utilities, lawn care, repairs, even cleaning supplies. DISCLAIMER: I'm not defending the American tax code, but we felt like we'd have been dumb not to take advantage. We never got audited, but I would have been ready with every single receipt. 

Sorry, topic? Some if not most of those renovations and new furnishings are going to give the Seewalds a nice tax break. With all those kids, I bet they're going to be sitting pretty next January!

Edited by Portia
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 5
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 8
3 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I think that's probably what's going on. She wants to give the impression that they have lots of "sweet friends" with lots of kids who are dropping by all the time and everyone is having a BLAST in the new house. I think it's probably the same nothing in a new space.

She doesn't even seem to socialize with any of her siblings (or Ben's siblings), and neither of them has any outside hobbies or interests; their kids don't go to school or have any activities of their own, so it's not other parents -- so who would they know?

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I think you mean from “Say Anything.” Both excellent movies!

Was that it?  Ugh, yes!  lol for a minute, I thought it was Singles, but I think it's because I've watched that 100x in the last week or so lol. Say Anything was tremendous, one of my faves.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I think that's probably what's going on. She wants to give the impression that they have lots of "sweet friends" with lots of kids who are dropping by all the time and everyone is having a BLAST in the new house. I think it's probably the same nothing in a new space.

She doesn't even seem to socialize with any of her siblings (or Ben's siblings), and neither of them has any outside hobbies or interests; their kids don't go to school or have any activities of their own, so it's not other parents -- so who would they know?

Fellow fundies and leghumpers? 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I vaguely remember around Jill's shower, Blessa gave us all a talking to about assuming that no one in the family has anything to do with Jill.  At the time she insisted that they were getting together all the time and having a blast.  I don't buy it, but that's what she claimed.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
17 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

I think I figured out the fireplace placement. It came to me as I was walking along earlier looking at the houses I was passing.

The building, which was apparently not built as a house but as some sort of church facility, originally had an entrance hall. The door was hinged on the right and opened to the right, against a wall. The fireplace, on the left, warmed people as they came in the door and provided a mantel for a cross, flowers, seasonal decorations

Why is there no chimney?  The view of the front of the house shows zero chimneys.  Was it removed & roofed over?  Has that been addressed?

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Mind Blown 1
24 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Why is there no chimney?  The view of the front of the house shows zero chimneys.  Was it removed & roofed over?  Has that been addressed?

I don't know what is was before, but its a gas fireplace now, so it wouldn't need a chimney.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Fosca said:

Is the kitchen or the furnace on the other side of the wall it's on?  Maybe the people who put it in were too cheap to run a gas line to a better place.

Not the kitchen, but possibly the furnace.

Jessa, being a good preacher's wife. ⬆️

Now she has the house, next pregnancy she'll be calling on TLC or UP for yearly specials until she gets up to enough kids to be considered different enough to warrant a TV show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa, being a good preacher's wife. ⬆️

Now she has the house, next pregnancy she'll be calling on TLC or UP for yearly specials until she gets up to enough kids to be considered different enough to warrant a TV show.

Good luck to her with that. She is much too boring and judgy for that to happen, imo.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

The issue with Jessa as the preacher's wife is that she's lame and joyless. I can't see her welcoming new members of the congregation with a warm batch of cookies. 

Yes, she clearly lacks all personality traits and desire for being a hostess generally, let alone a preacher's wife. And I don't mean that as a criticism, since there is nothing about preaching  that I respect. I think the only Duggar daughter who would genuinely enjoy the role of preacher's wife is Jill. She's an extrovert, she talks non-fucking stop, she loves listening to people's problems and then tell them how Jesus will fix all. Jinger could pull it off but I don't think she'd like it much. I can never get a read on Jana but at the very least I'd guess she could fake it 'til she made it really well.

• Like 8
  • Applause 3

I think being a Fundy preacher's wife is perfect for Jessa. Jessa is in her element with Fundies. This is what she knows, inside and out. She can be Queen without having to be the bitch. Jessa will love being admired by her fellow Fundies, in much the way her mother was.

I think she has dreams of her and Ben growing his little church with young, modern modest, congregants. Jessa finally has a real goal, a shitty goal IMO, but a goal none the less.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think being a Fundy preacher's wife is perfect for Jessa. Jessa is in her element with Fundies. This is what she knows, inside and out. She can be Queen without having to be the bitch. Jessa will love being admired by her fellow Fundies, in much the way her mother was.

I think she has dreams of her and Ben growing his little church with young, modern modest, congregants. Jessa finally has a real goal, a shitty goal IMO, but a goal none the less.

It think she's definitely most comfortable in that environment, but imo she's more the type to judge and bitch from the sidelines than be the one in any type of "leadership" rule who not only has to manage the judging and bitching but engage with all sort of people. Say what you will about Michelle--and what isn't there to say about her--but she's good in her role as fundie hostess. Jill gets her open friendliness and extroversion from her. She likes getting to know people, listening to them, and then using what she's learned of their vulnerabilities to lure them in.  She likes leading from the back while effortless pretending to be nothing more than a faithful helpmeet to that buffoon she married.

Jessa and Michelle are similar in some key ways, but extroversion, friendliness, and subtlety are not on that list. Jessa might fantasize about  Ben growing his Church and her being his Michelle, but I think she'll chafe in that role, and she's too bad of an actress to even come close to building her little modern fundie community.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, lascuba said:

It think she's definitely most comfortable in that environment, but imo she's more the type to judge and bitch from the sidelines than be the one in any type of "leadership" rule who not only has to manage the judging and bitching but engage with all sort of people. Say what you will about Michelle--and what isn't there to say about her--but she's good in her role as fundie hostess. Jill gets her open friendliness and extroversion from her. She likes getting to know people, listening to them, and then using what she's learned of their vulnerabilities to lure them in.  She likes leading from the back while effortless pretending to be nothing more than a faithful helpmeet to that buffoon she married.

Jessa and Michelle are similar in some key ways, but extroversion, friendliness, and subtlety are not on that list. Jessa might fantasize about  Ben growing his Church and her being his Michelle, but I think she'll chafe in that role, and she's too bad of an actress to even come close to building her little modern fundie community.

Jill is definitely a nicer person and more outgoing, but I don't remember examples of her learning about other folks and luring them in. And I see her being just as superior and judgy, but without the meanness, she has more of a 'sweet' condescending way about her. I don't actually remember Jill thinking of others or helping anyone, family or friend, other than giving out 2" banana bread squares and occasionally using her medical thingies.

Jessa can learn to have a heart for others in small doses, the same way Michelle learned to have a heart for her own kids, in small doses.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill is definitely a nicer person and more outgoing, but I don't remember examples of her learning about other folks and luring them in. And I see her being just as superior and judgy, but without the meanness, she has more of a 'sweet' condescending way about her. I don't actually remember Jill thinking of others or helping anyone, family or friend, other than giving out 2" banana bread squares and occasionally using her medical thingies.

Jessa can learn to have a heart for others in small doses, the same way Michelle learned to have a heart for her own kids, in small doses.

Oh, for sure, but I do think she, unlike Jessa, genuinely likes having people around her, whether she likes those individuals or simply enjoys feeling superior to them. And helpful she's not, but luring is at the heart of everything she does, socially speaking. She's never going to have an nice conversation with someone new that doesn't end in an invite to church, or at the very least, a recommendation of the latest fundie podcast she's into.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think it's close, but I don't think the role suits her. I don't think she wants to be part of a group of right-thinking Christians, or even a leader of a group of right thinking Christians, she wants to be the only one with the "truth" and to talk down to everyone else.

It's not just Jessa, either. The Duggars all seem to prefer to tell others what to do, rather than being students themselves. Remember Joe was "ministering" to other students at Clown College; Jill's earlier SM posts that were constantly providing "instruction" on various things that she knew nothing about.

I think Jessa's too rigid, too judgemental, and too preachy to be a good preacher's wife. Ben is an insufferable bore who thinks he knows every imaginable thing about Jesus and wants to talk about it all the time. I think to be successful, she'd have to balance him and be the one who shows compassion and concern about the day-to-day earthly problems of the flock.

I can see some people -- maybe new converts -- wanting to spend time with Ben talking about the exact bits of scripture that prove that they are better, and more in-the-know about Jesus than other people. I can't imagine, however, people wanting to spend time with know-it-all Ben, and rigid, unsmiling Jessa over time.

• Like 15
On 9/23/2022 at 9:27 AM, laurakaye said:

Forgive my ignorance, but is that a church in the foreground and is their house a parsonage?  Is the parking lot still being used for nearby businesses?  I am very confused why a family with four young kids would move into a house where the front yard is a parking lot, especially if it's still being used as such.  Was this a Jim Blob special that he generously "gifted" to Jessa and Bin?  What a sad place to live.

And I feel like Bin thinks the fedora gives him a personality.  It doesn't, unless what he's going for is bland and boring but this time with a hat.

Proposed thread title: Still Bland and Boring, But This Time with a Hat

• LOL 20
22 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Being a preacher's wife isn't just about banging on and on about the Bible. Everyone in the congregation already believes in Jesus. It's more about soft skills. Like if someone just got a lumpectomy, will you show up at their house with a fresh batch of cookies? If someone bought a new house do you have the care to throw a housewarming party? Do you care about milestones like weddings, births, funerals? Do you have time for the ice cream socials or Bible studies classes?

These are exactly everything they’re missing, and couldn’t care less about. 

and the aspirational pastoral marriage- just one sight of their awkward kissing they so love to make sure we all see, and no one would aspire!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

This is the thing with these preacher wannabes like Ben and Jeremey.  Preaching is only a small part of what a pastor does.  I can't picture any of them rushing to the hospital in the middle of the night to comfort  a grieving family or forming connections with local nonprofits to get help to church members who lose a job or have a housefire.  I have known several pastors and have seen them do exactly this kind of stuff regularly for their congregants.  

• Like 10
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Meow Mix said:

This is the thing with these preacher wannabes like Ben and Jeremey.  Preaching is only a small part of what a pastor does.  I can't picture any of them rushing to the hospital in the middle of the night to comfort  a grieving family or forming connections with local nonprofits to get help to church members who lose a job or have a housefire.  I have known several pastors and have seen them do exactly this kind of stuff regularly for their congregants.  

They're also super-judgy. Believe it or not, pastors can't be judgmental towards people in the congregation. People get divorced. Families fall apart. Children come out of the closet (this isn't a bad thing, but in Ben and Jessa's circles it definitely is taboo). Shit happens. People face so much judgment from the outside that church becomes a refuge. The pastor's role is to be supportive of congregation members during those moments. I can't see Ben or Jessa doing that. 

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Like 10
  • Applause 10
10 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

They're also super-judgy. Believe it or not, pastors can't be judgmental towards people in the congregation. People get divorced. Families fall apart. Children come out of the closet (this isn't a bad thing, but in Ben and Jessa's circles it definitely is taboo). Shit happens. People face so much judgment from the outside that church becomes a refuge. The pastor's role is to be supportive of congregation members during those moments. I can't see Ben or Jessa doing that. 

For sure. Ben would try to pray the gay away. These types of judgement is where, IMO, many organized religions run afoul. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

For sure. Ben would try to pray the gay away. These types of judgement is where, IMO, many organized religions run afoul. 

Ben made a YouTube video interviewing some guy about the ebil homosexuals. It was everything you'd expect from a close-minded bigot.

• Sad 15
  • Fire 4
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Jessa is absolutely a judgement bitch, she’s not even hiding it. I’m not sure what she thinks secular mom’s do differently or how she’d even know. But she’s obviously better than them!  

1E40BB9A-9D4A-4A84-B6A0-D19D9CD539F9.jpeg

I truly hate this sanctimonious twunt.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
16 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Sounds like she's deep into M is for Mama's book. It's all sanctimonious, holier than thou bullshit. She's directly cribbing the author, Abbie somebody.

She was quoting the book, but the first bit is from her. The screenshot was cut off from the source it was from. Jessa apparently got called out on the whole “secular mom’s are lazy” stuff and has since edited that stuff out. 

Quote or not, or edited or not, she obviously believes she is superior to “secular moms”. She didn’t edit it because she “knows better, do better”. She just can’t take valid criticism. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6