Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Trying to get my schedule/routine back into the swing of watching the show again, I wound up only seeing a few minutes tonight.  Part of that was the iodine TS.  Iodized salt, blah, blah, blah -- has the worldwide iodine deficiency/goiter association really fallen that far out of common knowledge? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe it has, since kosher salt has caught on so thoroughly...

I couldn't believe no one got Newport and was surprised no one knew Wings. 

I liked Nan a lot, too, and look forward to her in the semi-finals - and finals! She was crisp and snappy and  knowledgeable.

Edited by OneWouldHope
  • Love 1

I ran the Silent Movie category (as every good Jeopardy! wanna-be contestant should).  I could NOT for the life of me bring Newport out of my brain.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, mojoween said:

Chappaquiddick is kind of a pretty famous town relating to a pretty fucking famous Massachusetts family. 

Newport was obvious to me but probably because we were at the area in the clue three summers ago.  It was beautiful, but the weather was rainy and grey, and parts of it were still closed because of Hurricane Sandy.

Also no one should be too young to know a Chevrolet Bel Air for cod's sack.

Newport was our summer vacation spot when we still lived in PA. Now that I'm in Arizona, we go to San Diego or Mexico. But I love Newport and have toured most of the cottages there. I was sad that one went unanswered.

The only reason I know Wings is from watching Jeopardy. That being a TS makes me think these three contestants aren't regular viewers. They ask about Wings enough that a regular viewer would know it, I think.

Speaking of regular viewing, I took an informal survey of the group of teachers I hang out with. Of the ten of us, I am the only one who watches Jeopardy regularly. Where we live, it comes on at 4:30 pm, so I think some of them would watch it if it came on in its traditional time slot before/after Wheel of Fortune in the evenings. I have to DVR it to see it because I'm rarely home from work that early.

Jeopardy is a show that rewards regular viewers, since the clue writers tend to go back to the same well over and over again.

• Love 3
(edited)
30 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I got Beethoven yesterday for a humiliating reason: the quote was featured in the "Sex and the City" movie.

Not humiliating at all. That means you probably first watched the "Sex and the City" tv show, which was great!!!! (Movie--not so much.) Even for old ladies!!! ;)

Go Nan!

Edited by just prin
  • Love 2

I can't believe one of them guessed Lee for a clue about the Union Army!  Pancho Villa was just as boneheaded a guess for the same clue.  I was so dumbfounded that I don't even remember what the correct response was.

I did, however, get Walker's shortbread, Aristotle, and Lee in a later clue. 

FJ was pretty easy for me tonight, too.

• Love 4

So.... the local station cut away for a Special Report just as the 9 semi-finalists were being revealed. Saw Savannah from tonight (there's your winner, folks) and 2 others, Nan and one woman whose name escapes me. Can anyone run down all the semi-finalists for me please? Did tonight's second and third place finishers make it in as wild cards?

FWIW I thought the quality of the contestants went up nicely as the week went on. Thanks!

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was pretty easy for me tonight, too.

I was watching something else (I know, I know...) and tuned in just in time for FJ.  I immediately said Darthmouth, then thought "Wait, is that in New Hampshire, or Vermont?"  I couldn't think of anything else that might fit, so I would have gone with it, but would have worried until Alex gave the answer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tabasco Cat said:

So.... the local station cut away for a Special Report just as the 9 semi-finalists were being revealed. Saw Savannah from tonight (there's your winner, folks) and 2 others, Nan and one woman whose name escapes me. Can anyone run down all the semi-finalists for me please? Did tonight's second and third place finishers make it in as wild cards?

2nd did, but not 3rd. You can see them all here: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2017/05/final-jeopardy-5-12-2017.html#comment-7470

• Love 1

Had no idea the last few nights on FJ, and I guessed Darrow instead of Scopes

But in general these questions have been much easier this week. 

That woman from last night that kept leaning forward with each answer, and then with each pick of a category, bugged the hell out of me though

• Love 1

I just couldn't remember Walker's shortbread. I could see the package, but ... well, I failed. :(

I got Aristotle, Jay Z, and The Weeknd.

I had nothing for FJ. I'm terrible with colleges. I came up with mouth, because, well, mouth of the river, but I didn't go any further than that.

• Love 3
(edited)

Fidel Castro's Cuba 1959-2016 category: please identify pictures of the following: John Kerry, Pope John Paul II, and a Chevrolet, complete with the Chevy logo on the window. For realz??? 

Thursday's FJ was an instaget for me, and Dr. Toothbrush & I were both oh so happy for Alex that he got to use his French accent.

TS for Friday: Notre Dame, Mrs. Fields, Walker's, Aristotle, torpedo, Jay Z, US capitols, The Weekend, Robert E. Lee

Loved Susannah. She or Nan for the win! I was glad that Holly from Friday, Michael from Thursday, and Eduardo made it as a wild cards; I like them too.

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2

Oh, man, even Alex sounded shocked at how stupid that answer was! 

On the aide-de-camp(e?) to Jefferson Davis question, I got hung up on Custis being Martha Washington's maiden (?) name. Also could picture the Walker's package and knew it was shortbread but that was it.

• Love 1

I am surprised the one woman missed FJ -- it was an instaget for me.  In fact, I second-guessed myself, but couldn't come up with anything else that sounded reasonable.

Remarkable comeback by the man (I wasn't paying attention to their names!).

TS I got include Escudo, kombucha, acoustic, estivation, canvassing, and the missed DD of Mont Blanc.

It could be an interesting finals in the tournament, if the next two days are as close as this game was.

• Love 1

Yay David! Thank goodness Gail didn't guess her way all the way to a win, and the woman in the middle was just annoying to me.

Lots of TS but I only got blood and canvassing. FJ was an instaget.

I forgot to post on Fri how sad it was to me that last woman made the wild card when she played such a horrible game. The guy on the end played so much better but he got beaten in FJ.

• Love 2

I still haven't reconciled both telegraph and telegram as acceptable answers because I don't think they are the same, but I would be hard pressed to articulate a good reason for that.

I said telegraph.  I briefly flirted with radio but 1947 was not late enough for radio to be obsolete as a news-reporting service.

I love how emotional that guy got about making it a true DD.  That's a Jeopardy! fan right there.

• Love 4
(edited)

Great comeback by David! 

TS I got were blood type, kombucha, and the missed DD of Mount Blanc. I'm glad it was the 2nd DD that David uncovered and not the first, since he went all in on the first one. 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I love how emotional that guy got about making it a true DD.  That's a Jeopardy! fan right there.

This! By the look on David's face, I don't think he thought they were going to accept telegram for FJ. But I think telegrams were sent via telegraph, so I can see how it would be accepted. 

1 hour ago, dcalley said:

Ugh, I got Morse code and was miming use of the thing:

J38TelegraphKey.jpg

but couldn't come up with telegraph.

Dr. Toothbrush said Morse Code too. I got telegraph but time was just about up & I maybe would have had time to write "tel"

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Much better game today with a bit harder clues.  I was impressed with David's comeback.

I found the clues harder today too. Except for the bookstore category which was pretty easy. The Lessen category was also easy for me since it feels like I have been on a diet since the first mini-Toothbrush was born 15 years ago. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4

I can't be the only viewer who cringed at, "What is 'macadaim?'"  He obviously got the name of the nut and removed the "ia."  As far as I'm concerned, he couldn't really come up with "macadam" and should have been dinged for that.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, dcalley said:

Ugh, I got Morse code and was miming use of the thing:

J38TelegraphKey.jpg

but couldn't come up with telegraph.

Ok, good! I guessed Morse Code as well and then felt like a total idiot when the answer was revealed. It makes me feel better that I wasn't the only one who thought Morse Code!

• Love 3

I, of course, said carrier pigeon for FJ!  I wouldn't have come up with telegraph (which to me is not the same as telegram, but it's the Teacher Tournament so the judges have to be very lenient).  Good for David!

• Love 3
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I still haven't reconciled both telegraph and telegram as acceptable answers because I don't think they are the same, but I would be hard pressed to articulate a good reason for that.

Okay, this is how I reconcilled it...telegraph transmits the info ("dit dah"), but someone has to transcribe it and deliver the transcription, which is the telegram part. Yes, an article does seem like it's too long to be what we think of as a telegram, but according to all the old westerns, newpaper men were always sending their story by telegraph and I assume it would have to be delivered (that is, a telegram is just a written version of what was sent by telegraph).  Throwing another answer into the ring, my mother said "teletype". Acceptable or not?

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me too.  I didn't think telegram should have been accepted either, at first, but also used the same reasoning as @illdoc - you send a message via the telegraph but you receive a telegram.  I think teletype would also be correct, but then I'm not a Jeopardy! judge.

• Love 2

So I actually thought Morse Code as well and I am curious, would that have been accepted? 

Isn't that the code they used to transmit via telegraph?  Why would that be any less acceptable than telegram?  Once is the way the code is sent and the other is the translation of the code. 

• Love 1

According to "The Jeopardy Fan" website:  That 1947 winner was Edward T. Folliard for his articles on the Columbians, Inc. Afterwards, the award name changed from “Pulitzer Prize for Telegraphic Reporing – National” to “Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting”. David Fahrenthold of the Post was the most recent winner for his reporting on the alleged generosity of Donald Trump towards charities.

In that site's comments section:

Question: If somebody answered teletype would that had been correct ?  Response: Telegraphy generally uses hand-keyed Morse code; teletype uses keyed input electronically translated into electrical signals (more like the way a keyboard sends signals to a computer). I’m sure by 1947, there were automated telegraph code senders and receivers, but the two technologies were different enough to get different names. 

• Love 2

I'm equating telegraph:telegram to fax machine:fax(facsimile). With the clue saying "reporting by this means," I'm honestly not sure if the device or the "product" is more grammatically correct. You send or receive a telegram through telegraphy to a telegraph - which is the means? Plus, unless the clue specifies a part of speech, they tend to be a bit lenient on this kind of thing.

The Pulitzer Prize was for reporting by telegraphy, and from snippets of a book I found on google (and promptly closed the tab - sorry), it sounds like part of the reason they removed this category is because the rules were confusing or conflicting. So maybe the prize committee itself didn't even know if "telegram" or "cable/wire" or "telex/teletype" counted!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

So I actually thought Morse Code as well and I am curious, would that have been accepted? 

Isn't that the code they used to transmit via telegraph?  Why would that be any less acceptable than telegram?  Once is the way the code is sent and the other is the translation of the code. 

I think 'morse code' would be more akin to answering "English" - one could argue that morse code is the 'language' that the article was reported using. OTOH, "reporting by this means" could reasonably/grammatically be answered using a language.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Ok so again I know less than nothing about sculpture and knew FJ and found it easy.

I thought of Michaelangelo's other famous sculpture, the Pietà.

• Love 3

Congrats, Nan!  I was hoping Nan and Susannah wouldn't be competing on the same semi-final game so they could go head-to-head in the finals.  They're both good players and that way they could both win $$$$.

I only got hub and "I'll Follow the Sun" for TS.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 3

I thought FJ was super easy, although when the category was revealed before the commercial break, I said Rodin.  But of course when the clue was revealed, the answer was obvious to me.  Good for Nan, and good on her for that big DD wager.

I don't think I've ever heard the name for a female pig (sow) pronounced like "so" in the porcine context as Susannah did.  Also, Nan is from California!  How did she think that county was San Diego County?  Even I, an east coaster, knew better than that.  I didn't know the right county name, but I knew it wasn't San Diego.

TS I got were hub, I'll Follow The Sun, El Dorado, and minimalism.

• Love 4

I forgot to post yesterday about how rude Alex was to the chorus teacher -- did he not say how easy her job must be more than one time!? What an ass.

• Love 7
48 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I've ever heard the name for a female pig (sow) pronounced like "so"

I told the hubby that she obviously had only read the phrase in books and never actually heard it.

Regarding the chorus teacher, been there, done that.  Many times chorus is a dump class for discipline problems in public schools and is anything but easy.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think I've ever heard the name for a female pig (sow) pronounced like "so" in the porcine context as Susannah did. 

Yes, how the heck does an educated adult not know  that?!  And since I resemble that remark, I'm gonna Take! It! Personally!

At the very least, she should have seen Deliverance  at some point of her life.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats, Nan!  I was hoping Nan and Susannah wouldn't be competing on the same semi-final game so they could go head-to-head in the finals.  They're both good players and that way they could both win $$$$.

I only got hub and "I'll Follow the Sun" for TS.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

I was kind of hoping that they all would have been ruled incorrect because they were expecting Michelangelo's David as the full answer.

Could have been Kit Carson's David ?

• Love 4