Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Marvel (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

9 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think that shows how good of a job the Kree did on Carol, they not only wiped her memories they also made her barely care about why she has no memories. Then for 6 years she was raised in the Kree society where they are taught to not show too many emotions. Talos even said they really did a number on her. I don't even think she got all her memories back by the end of the movie. She just knows she's from Earth and was a pilot with Maria and was an aunt to Monica. I do hope in End Game we learn that Carol did visit Earth from time to time and learned more about herself in the last 25 years. 

I agree that plot wise the Kree really did a number on her, but I think that makes for a less interesting movie with a protagonist who is just sort of being dragged along by the plot for half the film than if Carol Dan/Vers has more drive to uncover the central mystery of the film herself.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

I don't like Cinemascore because *everything* gets a high rating.  Jurassic Park Lost World got a B+.  Indiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull got a B.  Thor: The Dark World got an A-.  Iron Man 3 got an A.  It suffers from too much grade inflation.  Or, to quote The Lego Movie (which got an A) "Everything is awesome!"

Exactly. As I said I've heard-a high score at Cinemascore just means the movie met the expectations of the people who saw it. It's a bit more accurate than say Rotten Tomatoes, because Cinemascore is from only people who saw the movie (or were at least in the theater and bought a ticket to see it-whether they paid attention to the movie or not. So, it's not a bunch of robo voting up or down by fans or those pre disposed to hate it. But it's not "proof" of quality anymore than anything else. 

Why does this movie need to prove its "quality"?

Personally, I only look at any sort of review aggregates or audience scores to see how many people enjoyed a film. It doesn't affect my plans to see it unless the reception is either great or awful, and even then it really only affects whether I'll see it in the theater or wait til I can watch for free (think Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse vs. Project Almanac). I'll decide on the quality myself after I see it.

CinemaScores run high, but a movie getting an A instead of an A- or a B+ still tells me something, especially in combination with other things like the Tomatometer. Like I said when I first brought up the CinemaScore: "I agree that the amount of money pulled in isn't the best indication of whether or not people liked a film. The CinemaScore, which can't be gamed by anyone online, works better." Let's not move the goalposts here. This is a fun superhero movie that is entertaining most people who watch it. It's not, nor was it intended to be, high art.

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Why does this movie need to prove its "quality"?

Personally, I only look at any sort of review aggregates or audience scores to see how many people enjoyed a film. It doesn't affect my plans to see it unless the reception is either great or awful, and even then it really only affects whether I'll see it in the theater or wait til I can watch for free (think Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse vs. Project Almanac). I'll decide on the quality myself after I see it.

CinemaScores run high, but a movie getting an A instead of an A- or a B+ still tells me something, especially in combination with other things like the Tomatometer. Like I said when I first brought up the CinemaScore: "I agree that the amount of money pulled in isn't the best indication of whether or not people liked a film. The CinemaScore, which can't be gamed by anyone online, works better." Let's not move the goalposts here. This is a fun superhero movie that is entertaining most people who watch it. It's not, nor was it intended to be, high art.

All movies need to prove their quality.

The debate is over how they do that.

• Love 1

MCU movies have never been expected to prove their quality. They're expected to be fun and enjoyable to watch. Personally, the only one of the ones I've seen that I would label "quality" is Winter Soldier (I haven't seen Infinity Wars). For the other ones that I really like (Iron Man, Black Panther, Ragnarok), I would call them quality popcorn flicks but not high quality movies. 

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The debate is over how they do that.

But why? And who does it need to prove it to? What does “quality” even mean when it comes to movies? 

44 minutes ago, Cranberry said:

Let's not move the goalposts here. This is a fun superhero movie that is entertaining most people who watch it. It's not, nor was it intended to be, high art.

Exactly. 

Edited by Guest
8 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I agree that plot wise the Kree really did a number on her, but I think that makes for a less interesting movie with a protagonist who is just sort of being dragged along by the plot for half the film than if Carol Dan/Vers has more drive to uncover the central mystery of the film herself.

Yeah, I was struggling to feel any sort of emotional investment in her. I did like her chemistry with Nick Fury as well as the 1995 setting, but it's hard. And I know Brie Larson is very capable of charm and charisma and warmth in a character, and I feel like they didn't want her to have any of that to make the point about how mind-warped she is, but there was a way to make someone a badass and still have her be compelling, and Wonder Woman just did that a lot better.

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

It's a good thing that they found the second half of the dog tag, otherwise her name would've been Dan. 

Then she could sub for Gary Sinise when the LT. Dan Band plays a USO show 

7 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

It's a good thing that they found the second half of the dog tag, otherwise her name would've been Dan. 

Caro-l'Dan

The best part is that that the Kree went through the trouble of brain washing her and pumping her full of Kree blood, but didn't bother to come up with a Kree name for her.

"What should we call her?"

"Just use the name on that broken tag."

"Sir? Why not give her a Kree name to complete the deception?"

"Listen, I just donated 4 pints of blue blood, I'm a little woozy here, the Earth name is fine.'

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

This was really good. I was a bit concerned, after the trailers left me somewhat indifferent, but I really enjoyed this movie.

I can see why some people said that Brie Larson is a bit flat, but it made sense to me that Carol would be, given her entire remembered life is about training to be a soldier. She had no memories of being that crazy girl who never took no for an answer, but you could see her sparking back to life, as she began to remember.

She has a really strong presence, even if she never quite moves like the athlete that Carol is supposed to be. And she managed to bring pathos as well as a sense of sheer exuberance, in turns. And I found her lack of guile to be very amusing. She's not trying to hide who she is, when challenged by humans, she's completely upfront and straightforward - "that was a photon blast. Skrulls can't do that."

I really liked the back-to-front way that they told her origin story, and it showed a confidence in the material that is new to the genre - We don't need to spend forty minutes showing you this character and getting you to care, then showing you the tragic event that gives them superpowers. They trusted that the audience would pick up who the Kree are and who the Skrulls are, and that Earth is a backwater without note.

It was obvious that Jude Law was going to be a villain, but I didn't see Ben Mendehlson actually turning out to be a good guy. That was a nice bait and switch, and in hindsight you could see that he was never particularly villainous. The Skrulls and Kree are both usually varying degrees of villainous in the comics, with some exceptions like Mar-Vell and Xavin.

I spent every minute Minerva was on screen trying to figure out who played her, and being struck by how strong a presence she had. Of course, it was Gemma Chan, an actress I found captivating in Humans. It's a shame she died, because that character could easily have become a nemesis for Carol. And it was nice to see Djimon Hounsou again, and Lee Pace, as less directly evil versions of the characters they become.

I loved the Nineties references, and the various digs at how far we've come in terms of technology. Waiting for a CD to load on a computer, being disconnected from the dial-up internet, having to use a payphone and a pager. The music fit perfectly, and the Nineties really was the age of iconic, angsty, power-girl rock.

Stan Lee's cameo was fantastic. Reading the Mallrats script! Can't get much more Nineties than that.

And Monica Rambeau as an easter egg of sorts. I'm guessing that she'll appear as an adult in Captain Marvel 2.

The de-aging on Samuel L. Jackson was stunning, and he looked exactly like his mid-nineties self. It was cool to see Nick Fury as a younger, less sure and less in-control character.  He was almost starstruck by Carol, by the end, and that's a dynamic I'd love to see in Endgame.

I was fairly starstruck myself, once Carol got rid of that inhibitor and started using her full powers. That scene of her destroying the missiles and then carving up the Kree fighters was spectacular, and as close to Superman as the Marvel Universe gets (which is fitting, because the original Captain Marvel was really Marvel's version of Superman).

A couple of minor complaints - the action scenes weren't directed with quite the clarity I'd like. Dim lighting and odd cuts made it difficult to figure out just who was punching who, at any given moment. And Annette Bening was a slightly odd choice, in a role that wasn't meaty enough to justify her presence.

But all in all, this felt fresh and different, even while being yet another superhero movie, and I'm eager to see how Marvel move forward with Carol Danvers as a flagship property.

• Love 15

I wanted to like it a lot but thought it was just an OK film/ a little dull (not something I would watch again). Carol had one facial expression through out the film (maybe smiled twice) and no real character development (she was able to fly at the end was it). She had no enemy to give her a good fight and there was no tension/drama because of it. Ronan tucked tail and ran after she destroyed 30 plus of his missiles in one shot and one of his ships. Yon-Rogg was not a threat (took care of him without breaking a sweat) and she wiped through the other Starforce members with ease. 

They could have explained how Dr. Lawson got the Tesseract. Did she steal it or was working with Howard Stark?

Why was her call sign "Avenger"? Who was she avenging?

Not once was she called Captain Marvel. How did she earn the name?

I'm beginning to think she will knock out Thanos with one back handed slap in "Endgame". Movie should be over in 5 minutes.

(At this time) I can't see Brie Larson as the face for the next stage. She seems miscast for the role and has no charisma.

Edited by mxc90
52 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

They could have explained how Dr. Lawson got the Tesseract. Did she steal it or was working with Howard Stark?

Why was her call sign "Avenger"? Who was she avenging?

Not once was she called Captain Marvel. How did she earn the name?

I

I do believe that by the MCU timeline the Winter Soldier had already murdered Howard Stark. In the opening scene in Ant-Man we know he was part of SHIELD. Thus the tesseract went to SHIELD and then to Project Pegasus, the same name of the SHIELD facility later at the start of the first Avengers movie.

Call signs are generally something just pick up during flight training. Unlike Top Gun with Maverick and Iceman they rarely match up with the personality of the pilot.

"Captain" is a legacy from the source comics where Captain, not Dr Mar-Vell was the source of Carol Danvers origin as a enhanced hero. Since the MCU's earth media doesn't know her yet only Agent Fury who decided marvel sounded better than Mar-Vell. Going forward to the Avengers and Captain Marvel to since Mar-Vell was her inspiration and how she saw the Supreme Intelligence she probably keeps the name. Besides "Ms" sounds like a throwback to the early 70s. And Ms now belongs to to a new character who will not be gender, ethnicity nor religion flipped 

• Love 5

Carol's rank in the Air Force was Captain and Mar-Vell was a mentor of sorts. Then I assume she will use Marvel since Fury said it sounded better. 

Call signs are chosen by the other pilots. They are also sometimes an acronym and don't mean defintion of the word that was chosen. Brie Larson said she was given the call sign Sparrow when she flew with some pilots. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Dee said:

Captain Marvel will likely be the third Marvel solo film to cross the billion mark. Impressive.

“I have nothing to prove to you,” says Carol. 

Does so anyway. 

• Love 22

I only know Brie Larson from the movie Room several years ago and watching her in this now is just sheer joy. That previous character she played was so beaten down and defeated, that seeing Carol on screen is simply amazing. If I didn't know it was the same actress I'd almost wouldn't recognize her from that previous role. Which of course speaks to Ms Larsons enormous talent and that well-deserved Oscar.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Raja said:

I do believe that by the MCU timeline the Winter Soldier had already murdered Howard Stark. In the opening scene in Ant-Man we know he was part of SHIELD. Thus the tesseract went to SHIELD and then to Project Pegasus, the same name of the SHIELD facility later at the start of the first Avengers movie.

Call signs are generally something just pick up during flight training. Unlike Top Gun with Maverick and Iceman they rarely match up with the personality of the pilot.

"Captain" is a legacy from the source comics where Captain, not Dr Mar-Vell was the source of Carol Danvers origin as a enhanced hero. Since the MCU's earth media doesn't know her yet only Agent Fury who decided marvel sounded better than Mar-Vell. Going forward to the Avengers and Captain Marvel to since Mar-Vell was her inspiration and how she saw the Supreme Intelligence she probably keeps the name. Besides "Ms" sounds like a throwback to the early 70s. And Ms now belongs to to a new character who will not be gender, ethnicity nor religion flipped 

Thank you.

Two more I forgot to ask.

1. Her powers. CM was hit with energy from the Tesseract. How was it different from when the Red Skull was exposed to it and disappeared? 

2. Wanda and CM, do they have similar powers? In Winter Soldier, didn't they perform an experiment on Wanda and her brother from Loki's staff (it had the the Tesseract energy in it, I believe)?

14 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Her powers. CM was hit with energy from the Tesseract. How was it different from when the Red Skull was exposed to it and disappeared? 

She was hit with a small amount sjnce it wasn't the Tesseract but, a Hyper Drive, using using the Energy from the Space Stone.

15 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Wanda and CM, do they have similar powers? In Winter Soldier, didn't they perform an experiment on Wanda and her brother from Loki's staff (it had the the Tesseract energy in it, I believe)?

They are not the same powers but, both come from Infinity Stones. Wanda ans Pietro's powers were created by the Mind Stone. Carol got hers from the Space Stone.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

1. Her powers. CM was hit with energy from the Tesseract. How was it different from when the Red Skull was exposed to it and disappeared? 

2. Wanda and CM, do they have similar powers? In Winter Soldier, didn't they perform an experiment on Wanda and her brother from Loki's staff (it had the the Tesseract energy in it, I believe)?

I think it could matter what level of Tesseract energy is used and how it's transmitted. All of Zola's weapons were powered by the energy he siphoned off the Tesseract (and was probably the basis of what he used to do whatever he did to Bucky to give him the ability to survive the fall from the train and losing an arm, then also could have been incorporated into Zola's subsequent work on him), and it was probably significantly diluted (not Tesseract?... ugh, can't keep them all straight anymore) energy that changed Wanda and Pietro.  The burst that Carol received was probably something similar.  But with both Bucky and with Wanda and Pietro, it was noted that it was rare for the subjects to survive the 'treatment'.  The Red Skull was already changed/compromised by the prior super soldier serum he'd been exposed to, and he got the Tesseract power at full force.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
Can't keep the Infinity Stones straight.
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

She was hit with a small amount sjnce it wasn't the Tesseract but, a Hyper Drive, using using the Energy from the Space Stone.

They are not the same powers but, both come from Infinity Stones. Wanda ans Pietro's powers were created by the Mind Stone. Carol got hers from the Space Stone.

3 minutes ago, Wynterwolf said:

I think it could matter what level of Tesseract energy is used and how it's transmitted. All of Zola's weapons were powered by the energy he siphoned off the Tesseract (and was probably the basis of what he used to do whatever he did to Bucky to give him the ability to survive the fall from the train and losing an arm, then also could have been incorporated into Zola's subsequent work on him), and it was probably significantly diluted Tesseract energy that changed Wanda and Pietro.  The burst that Carol received was probably something similar.  But with both Bucky and with Wanda and Pietro, it was noted that it was rare for the subjects to survive the 'treatment'.  The Red Skull was already changed/compromised by the prior super soldier serum he'd been exposed to, and he got the Tesseract power at full force.  

Thank you. Much appreciated! 

Plus Kree blood has proved to have healing abilities. Carol received a transfusion when she was brought to Hala as she was in bad shape from the crash and explosion. Probably some fusion of the Kree blood plus filtered Tesseract energy resulted in her powers.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Just thinking about the climax of the movie again, I really appreciated the whole 'you need to master your emotions' beat. Because calling women 'overly emotional' is a very common knock against their capabilities, in all fields (particularly politics), yet men never get called out for that. even when they're deranged and ranting.

That's because the only emotion acceptable for men to express is anger.

I personally liked that eventhough Yonn-Rag kept telling her to ignore her emotions and become a better soldier, but accepting her emotions was what made her strong and allowed her to master her powers.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lugal said:

That's because the only emotion acceptable for men to express is anger.

I personally liked that eventhough Yonn-Rag kept telling her to ignore her emotions and become a better soldier, but accepting her emotions was what made her strong and allowed her to master her powers.

Carol is going to fit in so well with the Avengers. 90% are totally ruled by their emotions.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 3/11/2019 at 12:49 PM, Shannon L. said:

2.  I remember, like others, that  Coulson made it sound like Shield was new when he talked to Tony, so when Fury flashed the "Shield" ID, my son and I looked at each other and said "huh?" .  Also, Fury was acting like he never knew a super powered human existed, but Captain America was a WW2 hero. 

3.  Speaking of Fury not knowing, another timeline issue was him telling the Avengers that Thor was the reason for the new weapons.  That until Thor showed up, they didn't know that there were people from other worlds. 

I didn't see anyone answer these questions, so I will do so.

2.  SHIELD existed shortly after WW2 which included Peggy Carter.  There's references to Shield in the first Ant Man movie, dating back to the 1980s.  So it definitely existed in the 1990s with Captain Marvel.  

I was under the impression that Fury acted more like he didn't know aliens existed, especially ones that looked human with super-human powers.  People may know about Steve Rogers in WW2, but few probably knew he got those powers through a science experiment, or if they did, didn't think he was as powerful as he is.  He only did a couple of missions, that were secret and not known to the public.  Fury was only level 3 at the time of Captain Marvel and may not have been privy to the full information about Rogers.

3.  I think he was referring to the fact that before Thor, the public didn't know about people from other worlds.  Very few knew about Captain Marvel (or the Skrulls), and they probably kept their mouths shut.

• Love 4
On 3/11/2019 at 9:49 AM, Shannon L. said:

2.  I remember, like others, that  Coulson made it sound like Shield was new when he talked to Tony, so when Fury flashed the "Shield" ID, my son and I looked at each other and said "huh?" .  Also, Fury was acting like he never knew a super powered human existed, but Captain America was a WW2 hero. 

I’ve always thought that the way Shield was handled in Iron Man was the writers attempting to give a subtle acknowledgement to the comic fans but still maintain the surprise for new fans. 

59 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

SHIELD existed shortly after WW2 which included Peggy Carter.  There's references to Shield in the first Ant Man movie, dating back to the 1980s.  So it definitely existed in the 1990s with Captain Marvel.  

Also in Winter Soldier we see the bunker where Shield with founded with pictures of Peggy Carter, Howard Stark and Colonel Phillips looking exactly like they did in Captain America. 

The next Death Battle takes place in a few weeks: Captain Marvel vs. Shazam (aka The Superhero Formerly Known As Captain Marvel). Here's a brief profile on Carol; bear in mind there's a lot of comic stuff, so you might get spoiled on stuff from upcoming MCU movies.

This won't be Carol's first Death Battle; she faced off against Android 18 from the Dragon Ball franchise in June 2017. Here's the whole deal (with her profile preview from back then)

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

You know what, I'd probably pay to see this, especially if Fury and Coulson are Goose's sidekicks 

Now I want to see this as a series on Disney’s new streaming service. 

4 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I didn't see anyone answer these questions, so I will do so.

2.  SHIELD existed shortly after WW2 which included Peggy Carter.  There's references to Shield in the first Ant Man movie, dating back to the 1980s.  So it definitely existed in the 1990s with Captain Marvel.  

I was under the impression that Fury acted more like he didn't know aliens existed, especially ones that looked human with super-human powers.  People may know about Steve Rogers in WW2, but few probably knew he got those powers through a science experiment, or if they did, didn't think he was as powerful as he is.  He only did a couple of missions, that were secret and not known to the public.  Fury was only level 3 at the time of Captain Marvel and may not have been privy to the full information about Rogers.

3.  I think he was referring to the fact that before Thor, the public didn't know about people from other worlds.  Very few knew about Captain Marvel (or the Skrulls), and they probably kept their mouths shut.

Like the CIA grew out of the WWII OSS, did SHIELD grow out of the WWII and post war SSR. I will just head canon that they would be known about as well as the NCIS before the TV show made them famous.

I do believe that the American public knew about the experiment on Captain Rogers just without knowing of the super human feats he is capable of.

• Love 2

Oof, I really wanted to like this, but I finally got around to seeing it and I thought it was...kind of terrible. And I'd heard about the mixed reception so I didn't have particularly high expectations, but to be honest I don't really expect much out of these movies other than a couple hours of light entertainment so I expected to at least enjoy it. Unfortunately this was just flat, dull, and lifeless all around, from the bland visuals, to the mostly lazy attempts at 90s nostalgia, to the action sequences (the worst in the MCU?), to (worst of all) Carol herself and Brie Larson's performance. The only thing I really liked was Ben Mendelsohn's Scrull character, and the twist about them actually being persecuted refugees.

The biggest problem by far though is Captain Marvel herself, who suffers from being the weakest part of her own movie (which is why I disagree with comparisons I've seen to the Phase 1 movies). The most important task for an origin movie like this is to let us get to know who the hero is so we can come to care about them and this movie fails miserably on that note. It was like they thought that throwing in a bunch of hamfisted girlpower moments could substitute for actual characterization and personality. Whatever flaws the first Captain America and Thor movies had (though I personally still think they're a lot of fun) as someone unfamiliar with the comics I came out of both with a great sense of who those characters were, whereas I just spent a whole movie with Carol Danvers and feel like I don't really know much more about her than I did before.  I guess the montage of her falling and getting up again is supposed to be her big moment in that regard, except it doesn't land the way it should because the movie hadn't done anything to set that up as being a particularly strong characteristic of hers. Same with the reveal of Jude Law's betrayal -- the mentor/mentee relationship between them just wasn't established enough for me to care.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 3

My husband is the Marvel/DC geek, but I have watched a majority of the Marvel/DC movies starting with Iron Man (who is my favorite marvel character).

I enjoyed it.  I really didn't have any clue about who Captain Marvel is.  I thought the movie had a good flow, no slow parts for me.  I also didn't think the deaging process that they did on Coulson looked that bad.  I only say the regular version (not 3D).

I can't wait to see Endgame - the first end credit scene got me really hyped for it.  I thought the second end credit scene was crap. 

Thought Goose was cute until he did that to Fury unprovoked.  Was really surprised that Maria up and went into space for that last mission.  If I were in her shoes, not sure if I would've done that. 

• Love 2
On 3/15/2019 at 5:59 PM, Raja said:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and Agent Carter totally tie into the MCU movies. Maybe one sided mostly until Kree tech fitted what S.H.I.E.L.D saw in the future.. The Netflix/Defenders  ones are too cute and leave the ties beyond sometime ago, an alien invasion happened in New York. The Runaways went so far as to have a different President and seems totally out. Cloak and Dagger is said to have a crossover with the Runaways coming but have some background details that fit with both Netflix/Defenders and Agent Carter 

The President reminds me he also appeared in Iron-Man 3 and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Cloak and Dagger has a character who jumped over from Luke Cage and the show has a not insubstantial amount of plot tied to Roxxon. Roxxon has been depicted in Agent Carter and all of the Iron Man films, most significantly an oil spill from a Roxxon oil tanker is one of the things the "Mandarin" uses to justify his terror campaign. Additionally, Killian actually chains President Ellis to that same Roxxon tanker to execute Ellis on live TV. The Roxxon oil spill was in Pensacola; a separate Roxxon disaster occurs in Cloak and Dagger off the Gulf Coast near New Orleans.

Most of the Netflix shows have kept pretty quiet about the film side, but Jessica did explicitly threaten to send her mother to The Raft in season 2.

It shouldn't be too hard to actually incorporate Cloak and Dagger and the Netflix stuff into the rest of the MCU. Runaways is a different story.

In the comics, Rocket basically had the same reaction to Carole's pet Flerkin that Talos did. We know that the remaining Avengers get the pager. It's not too difficult to think that they might find Goose while searching Fury's other posessions. Rocket will likely pull a gun.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

In the comics, Rocket basically had the same reaction to Carole's pet Flerkin that Talos did. We know that the remaining Avengers get the pager. It's not too difficult to think that they might find Goose while searching Fury's other posessions. Rocket will likely pull a gun.

I watched it again tonight and I was actually thinking something similar. If they have Goose appearing in Endgame what are the nonhumans going to do when they see him? Rocket pulling a gun makes perfect sense.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I watched it again tonight and I was actually thinking something similar. If they have Goose appearing in Endgame what are the nonhumans going to do when they see him? Rocket pulling a gun makes perfect sense.

At the start of one of Carol’s series (she gets a LOT of first issues), Rocket knew Chewie was a Flerkin, and he was not happy. Even did the two-finger “I’m watching you” gesture at him.

ETA: Already mentioned. Shit. Goose would probably be the icing on Rocket’s miseries. His friends are dead, all Hope is lost, and he’s stuck on a planet with creatures that look like him, only smaller and scavengers. “Damn, Quill was right. They really are trash pandas.”

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Captain Marvel should break 1 Billion by next weekend, if not sooner.

Currently at 990M WW on boxofficemojo. Although, I think the site doesn't fully update International numbers until Tuesday

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8
(edited)

The last three superhero films to break a billion dollars have featured a Black man, a Brown man & a white woman.

Take note Hollywood.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 16
10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Captain Marvel should break 1 Billion by next weekend, if not sooner.

Currently at 990M WW on boxofficemojo. Although, I think the site doesn't fully update International numbers until Tuesday

The slimy disgusting misogynistic Trolls are STILL insisting that Disney somehow bought most of those tickets themselves.

Yeah right. A billion dollars in tickets.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Kromm said:

The slimy disgusting misogynistic Trolls are STILL insisting that Disney somehow bought most of those tickets themselves.

When I saw it, first showing on a Thursday morning, it was nearly all men waiting outside for the cinema to open. At least 20, though I didn't bother to count. Maybe they wanted to see Brie Larson, or just the next installment of the MCU. Either way, I didn't hear any jeering during the movie. I considered jokingly asking if it was the line for the boycott, but I'm not that outgoing.

• Love 1

I believe the cinemascore showed the audience was 55% male. 

So yeah, really don't think men in general had an issue with Captain Marvel, just the vocal (whiny) minority on YouTube.

I'm curious to see how their "true" Captain Marvel (Shazam) compares on Box Office. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I believe the cinemascore showed the audience was 55% male. 

So yeah, really don't think men in general had an issue with Captain Marvel, just the vocal (whiny) minority on YouTube.

I'm curious to see how their "true" Captain Marvel (Shazam) compares on Box Office. 

I have no interest in Shazam. DC has never really done it for me, while the trailer and one review I read don't inspire me either. So yeah, it'll be interesting.

Why would Disney just buy tickets for Captain Marvel and not all their movies so none of them would flop? Also considering most of the money is from overseas where they don't have much control. 

Shazam looks okay, but I'm not going to rush out to see it opening weekend. Especially since I'm saving my money for the multiple times I will probably see Endgame. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm thinking it's not a male/"#NotYou" thing. The Fawcett/DC Comics version has been around almost as long as Superman, the origins have only been tweaked a few times, and Billy Batson was usually Captain Marvel (there was a miniseries with Freddy Freeman trying to earn the mantle). On the other side, Marvel Comics have had seven different Captains Marvel, including Mar-Vell, Monica Rambeau, and Carol Danvers. Some would see DC Comics backing down and letting Marvel have that name without condition (re: the book title would have "Shazam" in it, but the hero was called "Captain Marvel). Of course, that might be an excuse for butthurt guys to piss on Carol/Brie, and they probably wouldn't know that Elvis Presley based outfits on Captain Marvel Jr. No, for real.

I'll watch Shazam! ASAP. I would be skeptical about its potential, but Wonder Woman and Aquaman carried expectations and then some.

Wait, Disney bough tickets to jack up the totals? That makes total sense! When I went to see it, I had a clear view of the screen. The people are either side weren't as lucky, because the big round ears blocked the action. 🙄

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm thinking it's not a male/"#NotYou" thing. The Fawcett/DC Comics version has been around almost as long as Superman, the origins have only been tweaked a few times, and Billy Batson was usually Captain Marvel (there was a miniseries with Freddy Freeman trying to earn the mantle). On the other side, Marvel Comics have had seven different Captains Marvel, including Mar-Vell, Monica Rambeau, and Carol Danvers. Some would see DC Comics backing down and letting Marvel have that name without condition (re: the book title would have "Shazam" in it, but the hero was called "Captain Marvel). Of course, that might be an excuse for butthurt guys to piss on Carol/Brie, and they probably wouldn't know that Elvis Presley based outfits on Captain Marvel Jr. No, for real.

In general i would agree with you, normally it's just comicbook fans geeking out over history/knowledge.  However, my comment was directed at a specific issue.  Prior to Captain Marvel's release there was a running theme in YouTube videos from a very specific subset of "fans" (see below) 

One of the recurring themes was that Carol Danvers wasn't the "real" Captain Marvel and the "real" Captain Marvel's movie was coming in April and it would blow the MCU movie out of the water.  It was just a constant comparison and, attempt to degrade the MCU movie.  To be honest if it was just a Marvel vs DC thing I wouldn't have even cared but, it was always tied in with complaints about Marvel being taken over by SJW and how the MCU was dead now and how Brie Larson hates men, etc etc etc

• Love 5
(edited)
15 hours ago, Kromm said:

I saw one comic site trying to claim that $1 billion is no longer good enough to be the “magic number” and the new standard should be $1.5 or $2 billion. 🙄

I liked Clark Gregg’s reaction to the trolls. 

It’s sad. It must be sad to be that kind of dinosaur wandering towards the tar pits.

Clark Gregg Calls Captain Marvel Trolls ‘Butthurt’

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

To be honest if it was just a Marvel vs DC thing I wouldn't have even cared but, it was always tied in with complaints about Marvel being taken over by SJW and how the MCU was dead now and how Brie Larson hates men, etc etc etc

I refuse to let the trolls dictate my behavior, which is a good thing because they make me want to skip Shazam out of spite. (And it's not DC/WB's fault).