Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

I don't think there's a coverage thread here but the days of the prime time broadcast are past.  Yes back in the day when spoilers could be better contained you could wait until night to air your popular events (and it started earlier i wanna say 6pm or 7 PT) But with streaming options and technology that makes it impossible to keep results under wraps, it's becoming an archaic way to keep people interested.  

I know because of work schedules they still do prime time but there really should be a partnership next games with either Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.  Stream on NBC, then once the event is complete put the entire event on one of the big 3.  I mean take the gymnastics, imagine being able to see the top 8 through all rotations.  Maybe even do an afterword with commentators (not the Disgusting duo) to put it in context.  Wishful thinking I know.

• Love 1

NBC streamed the whole event in the afternoon. The entire thing is on NBC's website right now. Why do they need Netflix/Hulu/Amazon?

As for an afterword they have the Daily Dismount, which I haven't watched but is also available on NBC's Olympics site.

ETA -- romanticize the '90s, but viewing options were way more limited back then. There was no streaming and fewer cable networks. Smaller sports like beach volleyball have drawn followings thanks to those platforms. NBC was blasted in 1996 for ignoring the women's soccer final to televise the cheesy gymnastics gala, and they had tape delayed the women's team gymnastics final. 

I will say that the primetime packages now seem to feature a lot more fluff and crap than they used to. The athlete stories don't really seem to have any great journalism behind them. Remember the Chinese gymnast who got to sit on her dad's lap after like eight years? I was in tears! Now the features seem lazy and boring. Maybe I'm watching the wrong features.

Edited by Minneapple
2 hours ago, Daisy said:

if NBC was the only thing i had access to and i didn't have internet, it would drive me insane.

Yep, yep, yep, it would!  I've been a hardcore Olympics-head since it started, but there are only so many hours I can stare at those eight lanes of indistinguishable blips splashing back and forth across the screen.

So I break for an hour of drama from the DVR and when I turn back. . .WTF?!  The US men's gymnast team is dead last in the rankings, except that some mysterious Ukrainian man has imploded and is staring at the camera with big sad empty eyes with big purple circles underneath.

Why are they last?  What disasters befell them?  Where are the other countries' medal routines?  And for heaven's sakes, who is this broken Ukrainian man?

NBC, you dropped some serious ballage here tonight.

Signed,

Disgruntled Viewer

Edited by candall
  • Love 14
11 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

It was a joke. If they finish in seventh I think USAG should just clean house with the men's program and give money to Sam Mikulak to force him to retire.  He hasn't gone 6 for 6 since the American Cup of 2013.  While he is spouting off that he could be like Kohei what a joke. If Gabby did that she would receive so much critiscm. 

The US men's team is a joke. I am utterly disgusted with tonight. I wouldn't mind so much if they were just bad. But they're not. They qualified into 2nd place. They could've done this. But they choked--AGAIN. Again. Again. 

They need a Marta who will put the fear of God into them. Someone who makes trials and camp so grueling that the Games will seem mild by comparison.

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

NBC streamed the whole event in the afternoon. The entire thing is on NBC's website right now. Why do they need Netflix/Hulu/Amazon?

As for an afterword they have the Daily Dismount, which I haven't watched but is also available on NBC's Olympics site.

ETA -- romanticize the '90s, but viewing options were way more limited back then. There was no streaming and fewer cable networks. Smaller sports like beach volleyball have drawn followings thanks to those platforms. NBC was blasted in 1996 for ignoring the women's soccer final to televise the cheesy gymnastics gala, and they had tape delayed the women's team gymnastics final. 

I will say that the primetime packages now seem to feature a lot more fluff and crap than they used to. The athlete stories don't really seem to have any great journalism behind them. Remember the Chinese gymnast who got to sit on her dad's lap after like eight years? I was in tears! Now the features seem lazy and boring. Maybe I'm watching the wrong features.

After 3+ hours of watching ENDLESS swimming events, I checked out the NBC site--maybe I could find the men's gymnastics team final there?

No. I found SPOILERS, (thanks so much, NBC, for offering up the results of the men's competition on your homepage, instead of asking visitors to opt in to spoilers!) but no video.

At 11:30, they finally started airing men's gymnastics, but abruptly ended after two rotations. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I agree I really hate the Bro culture that they seem to have. Maybe that's why I like Danell because he has won before and does not seem as entitled as the OTC and NCAA guys.

The chest thumping and roaring tonight made me want to puke. Of course, NBC loved it. We saw more of it than we saw of all the medal winners combined. 

Considering that I have seen the Chinese gymnasts get screwed in the past--both men and women--I don't have any petty dislike of them. They certainly show more class and grace than the US men could buy. I was happy to see the Russians get the silver, though. 

• Love 6

Although they should, NBC doesn't cater to me, but it was still disappointing to stay up to 11:20 and not see ANY gymnastics by that point, especially after having to stay up to midnight the night before and probably have to stay up to midnight tonight to watch the women.

I am a dinosaur and want to watch the games in prime time.  I have a TV so I can watch sports on it, I have no desire to sit at home and watch on the iPad.  

Now with that bellyaching over, do I understand correctly that team finals were last night and tonight, and then individual competitions are tomorrow and Thursday?

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Minneapple said:

I was going to watch the stream when I got home because I get up early and can't stay up for primetime coverage. They wouldn't let me replay the stream when I wanted to. I think because it was getting close to primetime starting, but then they didn't show it there. I tried multiple times and it would start and then kick me off and say coverage wasn't available. If they won't let you watch it there should not be a "replay" option next to the event!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

The chest thumping and roaring tonight made me want to puke. Of course, NBC loved it. We saw more of it than we saw of all the medal winners combined. 

I'm just watching this because our local network finally decided to show some gymnastics.  "Oh, yeah, baby, that's what I'm talking about - WHOO!"  Nauseating indeed.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Minneapple said:

NBC was blasted in 1996 for ignoring the women's soccer final to televise the cheesy gymnastics gala

They shouldn't have ignored the soccer in 1996, but I miss the cheesy gymnastics gala exhibition, which happened on only a couple of Olympics. To see these hardcore competitors relax and show off once the competition was over was great fun. Of course that was eons ago, when the US men's gymnastics was equal in popularity to women's (or so I remember it).

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

They shouldn't have ignored the soccer in 1996, but I miss the cheesy gymnastics gala exhibition, which happened on only a couple of Olympics. To see these hardcore competitors relax and show off once the competition was over was great fun. Of course that was eons ago, when the US men's gymnastics was equal in popularity to women's (or so I remember it).

Pretty sure they are brining the gala back this year!

So I sat in front of the non-stop Michael Phelps coverage (did you know he has a baby?) in hopes of men's gymnastics because my Directv guide said gymnastics would be on the main NBC channel.  Around 11:15 I realized it wasn't going to happen.  Didn't think to check one of the few other NBC-related channels.  Not sure who is to blame: Directv for their listing or NBC for their crap coverage.  I'm going with NBC because their coverage is all-around crap.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

So I sat in front of the non-stop Michael Phelps coverage (did you know he has a baby?) in hopes of men's gymnastics because my Directv guide said gymnastics would be on the main NBC channel.  Around 11:15 I realized it wasn't going to happen.  Didn't think to check one of the few other NBC-related channels.  Not sure who is to blame: Directv for their listing or NBC for their crap coverage.  I'm going with NBC because their coverage is all-around crap.

I would blame NBC they didn't air it until 11:40 pm simply they didn't care because the US didn't medal. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, againstthewind said:

I will say that it was pushed for swimming because swimming was live. But otherwise I don't know.

I guess we will know tonight depending were they slot in the women team final. Since Ohelps and Ledecky are both in medal races.

Hi everyone.  I said in the media thread that I don't really post in the Olympic forums because I can't keep up with everyone, but when I have to time, I lurk on a few pages in various threads.  I can't believe that I wasn't seeing gymnastics by 11:20 (and I was falling asleep!) and when I got up this morning to watch the rest of it on my recording, I discovered that it was pushed to late night!  I agree with every complaint on here as well as the fact that, while we do have more coverage now during the day, the prime time coverage was much better in the 90s.  I mean, swimming is one of my favorite Olympic sports, but I don't need to see all the semi-finals or several minutes of of nothing but commentators talking over whatever is going on at poolside!

The real reason I popped in, though, is to ask how long meet runs (I don't follow these sports between Olympic years)?  I'm going to try to stream the women's gymnastics (because I don't trust NBC Prime anymore, nor can I stay up till midnight!) and I see that it starts at noon and I have a 3pm doctors appointment across town. 

• Love 2

I have a feeling they will be ping-ponging around all night trying to keep people interested.

There are WAY too many swimming events! I don't pay attention to swimming (I'll watch a little if it's on) so I couldn't even begin to tell you what events anyone swims. Too much to keep track of.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I have a feeling they will be ping-ponging around all night trying to keep people interested.

There are WAY too many swimming events! I don't pay attention to swimming (I'll watch a little if it's on) so I couldn't even begin to tell you what events anyone swims. Too much to keep track of.

I like swimming, but I don't really need to see a replay of every US swimmers' previous swim, their childhood swim meets, their friends back home, them sitting in the waiting area looking at their cell phones, etc.; NBC could've used 5 minutes of that useless crap for gymnastics since it sounds like shit happened at the gym.

• Love 9

So, in the coverage that they finally did show in late night, we only saw ONE routine from the team that won the gold?  Honestly?   

Maybe they they could have shown a few more routines during the five minutes we got to enjoy Michael Phelps sitting in a ready room ignoring that South African swimmer that was trying to annoy him or whatever.   That was riveting television indeed.

Edited by Libby96
  • Love 10
20 minutes ago, Libby96 said:

So, in the coverage that they finally did show in late night, we only saw ONE routine from the team that won the gold?  Honestly?   

Maybe they they could have shown a few more routines during the five minutes we got to enjoy Michael Phelps sitting in a ready room ignoring that Siith African swimmer that was trying to annoy him or whatever.   That was riveting television indeed.

But we really needed to see how well Michael Phelps keeps his concentration!

• Love 1

I watched yesterday, because I had left the livestream on when I had gotten up to start cooking. It was pretty much what you would expect--Tanith White hosted and Courtney and Jonathan explained what had happened in the competition. They talked a bit about ways to handle pressure, which obviously was a factor for the men's team. The highlight to me was Jon's very detailed explanation of what had gone wrong on Danell's high bar routine--he circled where the grips are that men use for high bar, explained what they are called, and showed how even though it looked like Danell's hands were actually closed around the bar, the grips weren't lined up properly due to Danell being too far from the bar and he wasn't able to grab it as a result. I really appreciated that, because that's something I've always wondered about--why guys seem to just fall off the high bar even after it looks like they actually have it in their grasp. 

I assume NBC must do some kind of focus groups for their coverage. Maybe people who are surveyed indicate that their greatest interest is in events where the USA might medal, or special interest stories on well known American athletes. (shrug.) Or maybe since their ratings are where they want them, they just do more of the same without consulting anyone. Regardless, the primetime gymnastics coverage has been so disappointing. Putting aside the non-coverage of the men's competition last night, on Sunday night they showed two women's events at the beginning of the 8 o'clock hour, then didn't return for the last two events for almost another three hours. If gymnastics is your huge draw, I'd think you'd keep it in that sweet spot between 8 and 10. It's a weeknight. People go to sleep. It's one thing if it's a live sporting event, but this isn't. Plus, I feel like the natural flow of the event gets so disrupted that way and doesn't even allow for anticipation to build. I agree that I would love to see a model like the figure skating coverage--broadcast the whole event live on one of the NBC family channels, then do highlights, USA-focused coverage, special interest stories whatever during primetime. 

They need a Marta who will put the fear of God into them. Someone who makes trials and camp so grueling that the Games will seem mild by comparison.

I'm wondering at what point it becomes an individual coach's responsibility to help his/her athlete become mentally tough. We're talking about some of the same offenders years after year who just can't keep it clean when it counts, and it seems pervasive in the men's field in general. I wasn't kidding yesterday about the sports psychologist. If your athlete has competitive skills but can't perform them, then that's useless. I think there needs to be a much greater emphasis in American Men's Gymnastics on mental preparation, with professional assistance. But yes, I also think maybe it would be helpful to have that one coach or person they look up to who doesn't want to give them a hug or high five after a bad performance. The men's team does come off as more coddled, if you will, than the women. I do wonder if there's a bit of sexism in it, like it's less socially acceptable to be disappointed in or demonstrate authority over mid-twenties men than teenage girls.  

• Love 2
Just now, Jillibean said:

I'm wondering at what point it becomes an individual coach's responsibility to help his/her athlete become mentally tough. We're talking about some of the same offenders years after year who just can't keep it clean when it counts, and it seems pervasive in the men's field in general. I wasn't kidding yesterday about the sports psychologist. If your athlete has competitive skills but can't perform them, then that's useless. I think there needs to be a much greater emphasis in American Men's Gymnastics on mental preparation, with professional assistance. But yes, I also think maybe it would be helpful to have that one coach or person they look up to who doesn't want to give them a hug or high five after a bad performance. The men's team does come off as more coddled, if you will, than the women. I do wonder if there's a bit of sexism in it, like it's less socially acceptable to be disappointed in or demonstrate authority over mid-twenties men than teenage girls.  

The outward displays of aggression and bravado that are encouraged in this team make no sense. This is a sport of precision. Every gymnast is strong enough already and doesn't need to be amped up to have the requisite strength. Moving skillfully through space seems much more about focus and precision. I think the yelling from their teammates before and throughout their performances is just dumb. Imagine performing a surgery with surgical assistants yelling encouragement to you. It works in weightlifting and American football, but not here.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Jillibean said:

Well actually I was noticing yesterday that when the other teams made mistakes, the responses of their teammates was much stronger. They weren't yelling but you could see the disappointment and them all counting those deductions mentally in their head. Team USA acted like it was a practice session.

And I don't think Marta Karolyi or any one person can fix a mentality. As I said, I really think it has to do with expectations. Team Japan or China can't be happy with a bronze. Their countries won't let them be that way. There are extremely high expectations for all of the gymnasts there to deliver on the world stage. Until there's more public expectations for the men's team in the US I don't think there will be improvements in the men. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, againstthewind said:

I will say that it was pushed for swimming because swimming was live. But otherwise I don't know.

The frustrating thing is that there is very little action and so much filler. I get it, swimming and Phelps are popular. I like swimming too. But in between races, would it kill them to show a gymnastics routine or two?

I am watching the livestream this afternoon. And the feed better work today. I don't trust the primetime. Phelps is swimming again tonight, you know.

• Love 3

Years back (I remember it available for the 2008 games) Universal Sports Network was a cable channel that had full gymnastics coverage online. IIRC, they showed all the routines from the team, AA and even finals (they did similar with figure skating - you got to watch just about everyone if you wanted to). NBC bought out Universal Sports Network a couple of years back and did away with all of that. USN used to keep it online but I think its all gone now. I really don't understand why NBC can't do the same - make the footage of all the routines available online.  I haven't watched yet via streaming but if I read correctly they have live cameras on each apparatus.  If you're filming it, record it and put it online.  

I get that they have to show a mix of everything since people like all different events. I also get that everything can't be televised. So, having full events available next day seems like a pretty simple way to let fans see more routines and still let them show Phelps with a baby carrier or sitting around.

I am a dinosaur and want to watch the games in prime time.  I have a TV so I can watch sports on it, I have no desire to sit at home and watch on the iPad.

I haven't checked but NBC may put what they have online on VOD also. It will be delayed but you'll still get to see. Also if you have a Roku or Fire to stream Netflix, etc. you can add a NBC Olympics channel at no cost (you do have to activate w/ your cable ID) and can watch the online content on your big screen easily.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

By my count, NBC has 3 apps. I have had more luck with the NBC Sports app than with the RIO 2016 app

Of course, make it more confusing (not you, NBC). I've only used the NBC Sports one. I didn't know there were others, thanks.

This is what is says about the Roku (guessing Fire, etc. are the same) channel:

The NBC Sports channel will deliver 4,500+ hours of streaming video coverage of the Rio Games, including every competition session LIVE across all 34 sports, plus TV simul-streams and original programming for NBC Sports subscribers. All Roku streamers will have access to highlights and clips. From the Opening Ceremony on August 5 to the Closing Ceremony on August 21, we’ll be glued to our TVs cheering on Team USA in Swimming, Track & Field, Gymnastics, Diving, Beach Volleyball, Basketball, Golf, Tennis and more.

Find the NBC Sports channel in the “Sports” category in the Roku Channel Store now on Roku players and Roku TV models.

Its probably exactly the same as online. If only they would put the full sessions up after instead of the replay of the NBC tv coverage. Perhaps they did and I'm just not looking in the correct spot.

Edited by windsprints

It's funny, I watched the live feed yesterday afternoon and didn't pick up on this until two or three apparatuses in. Then I couldn't not see it. I get wanting to pump yourself and your teammates up, but when you are in seventh place after 3 rounds, wtf?? They looked like idiot frat boys and I swear I saw one Chinese gymnast roll his eyes at one point. That whole team needs to go home and re-think everything. It feels like they collapse every time it counts and spouting off about how great they are all the time makes them look ridiculous. Get it together, boys. Look at the ladies team and take notes.

• Love 4

The men's team was embarrassing to watch last night with all the bravado. I think they need to fire some coaches and not choose the same guys for every big  international meet like Mikulak. I remember for 2011 worlds People thought Martha was more focused on the Olympics than the Worlds because she put 3 world all around champions Bridget, Chellsie and Shawne on the pan am team which is considered the "b". While she used the Worlds team to test Jordyn, McKayla, Sabrina, Gabby and Anna Li so they would have one big international competition heading into the Olympic year. The only returners were Alicia and Aly. I remember when Alicia was hurt no one thought the US would win gold and they did. Granted they had a lot of injuries that year so maybe that's why it worked. I think the biggest problem is these coaches don't hold the team accountable for their mistakes. The training camp is too much of a fun environment for these guys. The Wall Street Journal did an article on the Men's team how they want to show off their bodies to get people in the sport. It seems like these guys want the attention, but don't understand you have to win at the highest level to receive that attention. No one would care about Gabby, Michael Phelps, Keri Walsh Jennings and Katie Ledecky if they hadn't won gold medals. No one would care about Simone right now if she hadn't won 14 world medals. I think the guys need to understand that.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Minneapple said:

NBC tried with the TripleCast PPV in, I think 1992, and it was a financial and critical failure because people back then wouldn't pay to see Olympic stuff.

As for galas, I think I saw an entry for that event in Rio on my Roku app for 8/17 or something.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, selkie said:

NBC tried with the TripleCast PPV in, I think 1992, and it was a financial and critical failure because people back then wouldn't pay to see Olympic stuff.

As for galas, I think I saw an entry for that event in Rio on my Roku app for 8/17 or something.

The TripleCast was so far ahead of its time. The execution was poor, but the idea is pretty much the same as what we get today.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Elsydeon said:

The TripleCast was so far ahead of its time. The execution was poor, but the idea is pretty much the same as what we get today.

I knew people who got TripleCast for free because of a cable company screw-up on their block and it sounded so awesome compared to the usual broadcast coverage.

• Love 1

I'm catching the late night coverage now.  SMH.  NBC is barely showing anything from the other teams.  They don't even show full routines.  Team USA is acting like jackasses with their screaming. 

As another armchair coach, the US team seems easily distracted by noise in the arena, especially early on.  The cheering for Brazil was loud during team USA's floor exercise.  However, they should be able to deal with that.  Gymnastics always has multiple routines going concurrently.  The crowd is not going to all be watching and rooting for the US.  And it's not like they needed to hear music like the women. 

At the same time, I can appreciate that these athletes are among the top in the world.  They have incredible, hard-earned talent.  They need a much better mental game. 

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Muffyn said:

As another armchair coach, the US team seems easily distracted by noise in the arena, especially early on.  The cheering for Brazil was loud during team USA's floor exercise.  However, they should be able to deal with that.  Gymnastics always has multiple routines going concurrently.  The crowd is not going to all be watching and rooting for the US.  And it's not like they needed to hear music like the women. 

I remember a reporter had asked...the '96 women's team, I think, about the noise while they're on the beam-- the music from floor exercise and the crowd noise, and the gymnasts basically shrugged and said they don't hear it. They were that good at just tuning out everything and focusing on the beam. And the '96 team performed in an uber-loud Georgia Dome with what, 40,000 people basically demanding the US win gold. 

1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

I remember a reporter had asked...the '96 women's team, I think, about the noise while they're on the beam-- the music from floor exercise and the crowd noise, and the gymnasts basically shrugged and said they don't hear it. They were that good at just tuning out everything and focusing on the beam. And the '96 team performed in an uber-loud Georgia Dome with what, 40,000 people basically demanding the US win gold. 

I remember the Russians who were on floor while the US has vault had some issues. Didn't someone fall off beam when Moceanu was on floor?

Edited by choclatechip45
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I just checked the NBC Sports app and it says each apparatus and the full men's team final are available for streaming. NBC Sports app > NBC Olympics app

Thanks. I just checked nbcolympics.com and its there as well.  I'm really happy they are putting it all up in full even if its the next day.

• Love 1

I'm assuming we're going to get everything in primetime tonight, and by everything I mean US, Russia, China, some Brazil.  IIRC in London, NBC did swimming and the like and then aired the women's final in it's entirety without cutting to other events?  But again, it was probably because the US won.

Still doesn't excuse them for last night's pitiful coverage.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I'm assuming we're going to get everything in primetime tonight, and by everything I mean US, Russia, China, some Brazil.  IIRC in London, NBC did swimming and the like and then aired the women's final in it's entirety without cutting to other events?  But again, it was probably because the US won.

I thought they cut to swimming, but I could be wrong. Maybe I am mixing it up with trials?

I agree that they need a partnership with Hulu or Netflix. You can only stream the events live as they happen from NBC's website or app. In order to watch replays, you have to have a subscription to NBS Sports Network. It's really screwed up.

Kyle Shewfelt: the only way any other country has a chance to beat America, is if they [America] have 9 falls.

Me: (sigh).  

When it comes to women's gymnastics, I consider myself an honourary American (please accept me. I make great cookies) - though I also like being part of "Team Drama." but when I hear that, and I know that the USA is going to kick ass, it also makes me sad that there isn't going to be any of what we got last night. I don't mind dominance but also as a sports fan, i also love the idea that someone else has a chance, or you have to wait until the last rotation (or even the last routine) before you know. 

I am hoping that in 2020 - there's a legitimate battle for gold. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@Daisy I think "Team Drama" will come into play during event finals mores than team finals. I really don't think they will allow the United States to sweep the event final medals. Look for Aliya Mustafina to take the bar gold and Hong Un Jong to take the vault gold. Peoples heads will explode and I'll be snacking on my popcorn from home watching the aftermath. 

Ooho, share your popcorn, and i'll bring the cookies?

45 minutes ago, kittykat said:

I expect extensive gymnastics coverage tonight, especially in the first hour, but swimming finals start a few minutes after 9 EDT and don't finish until 10:30-ish. Because those races are live, gymnastics is probably going to get sandwiched around them. 

3 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I expect extensive gymnastics coverage tonight, especially in the first hour, but swimming finals start a few minutes after 9 EDT and don't finish until 10:30-ish. Because those races are live, gymnastics is probably going to get sandwiched around them. 

That's my thinking too. Also, the Boudia/Johnson medal last night impacted NBC's coverage as well.

1 hour ago, Minneapple said:

That's because they're specifically trained to block it out and focus on their beam routines.  I myself always wondered how they were able to avoid being distracted by all the different noises and music.