Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

Just now, Rinaldo said:

USA is 7th now.

1 minute ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I missed it. Is USA in 7th or still 8th?

7th. 

Sorry. I type too fast, and streaming slows my laptop! I'll fix it! 

US are in 7th.

The Chinese on rings right now is amazing to watch, as are the Russians on vault. Wow. Everyone has stepped up after qualifications.

Edited by twoods
Just now, PoshSprinkles said:

Russia did a nice job on vault. They may be the dark horse in this competition. 

I was just thinking the same thing.  Kind of like US in 08 or Ukraine in 12.

How come the Chinese don't flex their hands out on the rings? I kept hearing the announcers saying how that showed their strength more and noticed the US men doing it the first night of competition.

Edited by emma675d
1 minute ago, Rinaldo said:

Yeah, the commentators are bewildered too. He deliberately took a zero.

Jonathan Horton sounds completely stunned that they would do that.

I also sort of appreciate his reminders that a lot of these skills are painful to perform. 

Something is going on with Ukraine.  @PoshSprinkles, I was wondering where Oleg was.  Thanks for clarifying.

Ooooh dayum!  China is usually ace on rings.  Here's hoping US takes the opening on that.

Barely three rotations in and I have no clue how this is gonna go down.

Edited by kittykat
1 minute ago, greendog78 said:

Why didn't Ukraine forfeit  if they weren't even going to try? The Swiss would have loved to compete in their place.

If I were the Swiss, I'd be fucking livid.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, greendog78 said:

Why didn't Ukraine forfeit  if they weren't even going to try? The Swiss would have loved to compete in their place.

BBC is saying that he may be injured, or never intended to do the bars - but they didn't have another Bar worker to work with. which is a shame, but yah, Swiss must be all. for Eff's sakes. 

good vault by Kohei.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Gurkel said:

Why is it called the pommel horse for the men? And is it supposed to shake the way it does?

Ooh, something I actually know!  "Pommel" is for the handles (named that way because they resembled the shape of apples), and "horse" is because the apparatus's original intention was for soldiers to practice mounting and dismounting horses.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Rinaldo said:

Hambuchen stunning on high bar. Just as he was in London. (And then Zonderland showed up minutes later and was immortal.)

Omg - Zonderland.....that was one amazing routine. is he here in Rio?

2 minutes ago, ExplainItAgain said:

After 3

RUS
JPN
GBR
BRA
GER
CHN
USA
UKR

I wonder what the blood pressure is like for China right now? 

Why are U.S. men as mediocre (globally-speaking) in gymnastics as the women are dominant? Is it the coaching? The lack of boys participating in gymnastics?

Edited by Gurkel

Another wonderful job on a weak apperatus for the US.  I hope those Floor routines don't come back to bite them.

Onward to the 2nd half.  Hell yeah Sam!

I'll chime in on the Zonderland love.  I can't wait to see that Flying Dutchman in High bar finals.

Edited by kittykat
Just now, Gurkel said:

Why are U.S. men as mediocre (globally-speaking) in gymnastics as the women are dominant? Is it the coaching? Lack of participation?

Think it's culture. For whatever reason American boys if they're athletic don't general sign up for gymnastics lessons. Great vault by Jake.