Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I think the U.S. just doesn't have a rotation where they can rack monster scores. For instance Japan in PB and vault, China in PB and rings, etc. I guess maybe high bars is the US best event. But they just don't have those apparatuses where they start off with a huge start value. They basically have to hit all the time in order to medal and they can't seem to do that so oh well ... 

I'd argue that PB is the strongest event for the US. They seem to get consistently high scores there.

3 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@Daisy Our favorite AA champion, Kohei, did not get credit for his bad landing on pommel horse in the team final. It was the last rotation and last score. It put Japan in fourth place. The standings were China-Great Britain-Ukraine. Japan's team filed an appeal to get his d-score raised and successfully appealed. The bump was enough to put Japan in second and pushed Ukraine out of the medals. 

Oh Wow. that must have been heartbreaking for them. but I agree. Get over it. Honestly, if Oleg is just touching, then why not "injure" him and then use the alternate? or at least try. like Switzerland must be throwing equipment right now.

3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

He said he wants to go for Tokyo 2020. Hopefully they give him money and force him to retire. 

I'll cross my fingers and donate a dollar for you. 

2 minutes ago, Elsydeon said:

Ukraine got bumped out of the medals after Japan appealed Uchimura's score on pommels. Japan was originally in 4th, but once Uchi's score got bumped up, they moved to second, GB to third, and Ukraine to 4th.

thanks.

1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

May a flight of angels watch over Japan on his high bar. <3

all the hopes!

Kato! woo! that was an amazing routine and a stuck landing. 

Just now, choclatechip45 said:

Do we think the US can get bronze? Sam just recieved a 15.7.

Maybe. 
I don't know if i want the US to win or Brazil. (if the US wins you know you'll see it in primetime).

It's not impossible.  Russia left an opening after High Bar although GB is finishing on Pommels (their strength), Brazil is faltering on floor.  High Bar is China's weaker apparatus.  It's not over yet.

Sam needed that. 

Edited by kittykat

I love the Japanese smiles and happiness today. I'm used to seeing them pretty glum and dire at international competitions. And the new Japanese teen Kenzo is a monster on floor. 

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Elsydeon said:

I wish there was more competition on the women's side. This men's final is some fun shit!

I know. it's going to be boring (in the sense - that you KNOW who is going to win, you can still enjoy the routine). 

1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Thank Japan for Kenzo Shirai. Nailed it!!!! <3 <3 <3 

And a great score for it. But the best part was his unabashed glee the moment after he finished: "Did I really bring that off? Wow!"

18 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

May a flight of angels watch over Japan on the high bar. <3

Amen. I that that they can win team comps by basically running up D-scores on rings and parallel bars. Otherwise, there's nothing distinguishable about them. They are what I like to call code whores.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

I know. it's going to be boring (in the sense - that you KNOW who is going to win, you can still enjoy the routine). 

Men's gymnastics is always more of a gladiator battle. The 6 rotations, the harsh difficulty levels for the men, and it's always a tough competition for gold.

Oh shit Danell. 

Still ahead of Germany and Brazil.  Can't do worse than fifth.

Japan is just all sorts of amazing.  Curious how the Russians and British will fare.  Knock those Chinese out of medals.

2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

NOOOOOOOOOO!  Burn that towel!

On the flip side, Japan is doing well.  That is all.

China needs to average about 15.9 on HB to beat Japan. It ain't happening. Hopefully Russia does well enough on floor for second. I want Chinese tears of bronze this year.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DawnDavenport said:

China needs to average about 15.9 on HB to beat Japan. It ain't happening. Hopefully Russia does well enough on floor for second. I want Chinese tears of bronze this year.

I like you. (laugh)